返回首页

NanfuWang_2019U-_在中国的“一胎政策”下成长_-

My name is Nanfu. 我叫男栿。
In Chinese, "nan" means "man." 中文里,“男”的意思是“男人”。
And "fu" means " pillar ." “栿”的意思是“支柱”。
pillar:n.支柱; v.用柱子装饰[支持];
My family had hoped for a boy, who would grow up to be the pillar of the family. 我的家人希望有个男孩, 有日长大,成为家庭的支柱。
And when I turned out to be a girl, they named me Nanfu anyway. 当他们发现我是个女孩时, 他们还是给我起名“男栿”。
(Laughter) (笑声)
I was born in 1985, six years before China announced its one-child policy . 我生于 1985 年, 那时中国实行“一胎政策”已有 6 年。
one-child:独生子女; policy:n.政策,方针;保险单;
Right after I was born, the local officials came and ordered my mom to be sterilized . 我出生之后, 当地官员到我家来, 要求我母亲节育。
sterilized:v.灭菌;消毒;使绝育;(sterilize的过去分词和过去式)
My grandpa stood up to the officials, because he wanted a grandson to carry on the family name. 我的祖父与官员起了争执, 因为他想要一个孙子来延续香火。
Eventually , my parents were allowed to have a second child, but they had to wait for five years and pay a substantial fine. 最终,我的父母 被允许再生一个孩子, 但是他们得等五年, 而且还要付很多罚款。
Eventually:adv.最后,终于; substantial:adj.大量的;实质的;内容充实的;n.本质;重要材料;
Growing up, my brother and I were surrounded by children from one-child families. 我和弟弟长大时身边都是 一孩家庭的孩子。
I remember feeling a sense of shame because I had a younger brother. 我还记得那种羞耻感, 只因为我有一个弟弟。
I felt like our family did something wrong for having two children. 我觉得我的家庭 因为有两个孩子而做了错事。
At the time, I didn't question where this sense of shame and guilt came from. 那时,我没有思考 这种羞耻感到底从何而来。
A year and a half ago, I had my own first child. 一年半前,我有了 自己的第一个孩子。
It was the best thing that ever happened in my life. 这是我生命中最棒的事情。
Becoming a mother gave me a totally new perspective on my own childhood , and it brought back my memories of early life in China. 成为一名母亲 给了我审视童年的全新视角, 也让我回想起在中国的早期生活。
perspective:n.观点;远景;透视图;adj.透视的; childhood:n.童年;幼年;孩童时期
For the past three decades, everyone in my family had to apply for a permission from the government to have a child. 过去的三十年, 我家里的每一个人 都得向政府申请许可, 才能生养一个孩子。
apply:v.申请;涂,敷;应用;适用;请求;
And I wondered what it was like for people who lived under the one-child policy. 我想知道, “一胎政策”下的人们是怎样生活的。
So I decided to make a documentary about it. 所以,我决定为此拍一部纪录片。
One of the people I interviewed was the midwife who delivered all of the babies born in my village, including myself. 我采访的人中 有一位是产婆, 接生了我所在村庄的所有孩子, 包括我。
interviewed:v.对(某人)进行面试(或面谈); (媒体)采访(interview的过去分词和过去式) midwife:n.助产士;促成因素;vt.助胎儿出生;促成;
She was 84 years old when I interviewed her. 当我采访她时,她已经 84 岁了。
I asked her, "Do you remember how many babies you delivered throughout your career ?" 我问她, “你记得你一共接生了多少孩子吗?”
throughout:adv.自始至终,到处;全部;prep.贯穿,遍及; career:n.职业;事业;生涯;经历;
She didn't have a number for deliveries . 她没有关于接生的确切数字。
deliveries:n.[贸易]交货(delivery的复数);已交付;
She said she had performed 60,000 forced abortions and sterilizations . 但她说她一共实施了 六万台堕胎和节育手术。
performed:v.表演;执行;履行;演出;工作,运转(好/不好)(perform的过去分词和过去式) abortions:n.[妇产]堕胎(abortion的复数);多次流产; sterilizations:n.消毒,[医][食品]杀菌;使不孕;无用状态;
Sometimes, she said, a late-term fetus would survive an abortion, and she would kill the baby after delivering it. 她说道,有时, 周数大的胎儿会在堕胎中幸存下来, 然后她就会在接生后杀死胎儿。
fetus:n.胎儿,胎;
She remembered how her hands would tremble as she did the work. 她还记得当她做这件事的时候, 双手会不断颤抖。
tremble:v.颤抖;极担心;焦虑;恐惧;n.颤抖;战栗;哆嗦;
Her story shocked me. 她的故事震惊了我。
When I set out to make the film, 当我开始制作这部片子时,
I expected it would be a simple story of perpetrators and victims. 我只预想这是个 关于罪犯和受害者的简单故事。
perpetrators:n.作恶者;行凶者;犯罪者;(perpetrator的复数)
People who carried out the policy and people who are living with the consequences . 执行政策的人, 和生活在政策阴影下的人。
consequences:n.后果,结果;影响(consequence的复数);
But that wasn't what I saw. 但这不是我看到的。
As I was finishing my interview with the midwife, 当我结束对产婆的采访时,
I noticed an area in her house that was decorated with elaborate homemade flags. 我注意到她房子的一角 挂满了鲜艳的锦旗。
decorated:v.装饰;装潢;粉刷;点缀;装点;(decorate的过去分词和过去式) elaborate:adj.精心制作的;详尽的;煞费苦心的;v.精心制作;详细描述;变复杂;
And each flag has a picture of a baby on it. 每张锦旗上有一个孩子的照片。
These were flags that were sent by families whom she helped treat their infertility problems. 这些锦旗是那些她帮助过的 有不孕不育问题的家庭送来的。
treat:v.治疗;处理;招待;款待;n.款待;乐事;乐趣; infertility:n.不毛;不肥沃;贫瘠;
She explained that she had had enough of performing abortions and sterilizations -- that the only work she did now was to help families have babies. 她解释道,她受够了 堕胎和节育手术—— 她现在所做的只有帮助家庭怀上孩子。
performing:adj.表演的;演奏的;v.做;执行;演出;运转(perform的现在分词)
She said she was full of guilt for carrying out the one-child policy, and she hoped that by helping families have babies, she could counteract what she did in the past. 她说她因执行“一胎政策” 而深感愧疚, 并希望帮助家庭怀上孩子 能够弥补她过去的行为。
counteract:vt.抵消;中和;阻碍;
It became clear to me she, too, was a victim of the policy. 我清楚的意识到,她也是政策的受害者。
victim:n.受害人;牺牲品;牺牲者;
Every voice was telling her that what she did was right and necessary for China's survival . (那时)每个声音都告诉她 她所做的对中国的生存 是正确且必要的。
survival:n.幸存,残存;幸存者,残存物;
And she did what she thought was right for her country. 而她做了她认为对祖国正确的事情。
I know how strong that message was. 我明白这种宣传的力度。
It was everywhere around myself when I grew up. 我长大时,这种宣传无处不在。
It was printed on matches, playing cards, textbooks, posters . 这些口号被印在火柴盒上, 纸牌上, 教科书上,海报上。
posters:n.海报;巨幅装饰画;发布消息的人;(poster的复数)
The propaganda praising the one-child policy was everywhere around us. 赞扬“一胎政策”的宣传 无处不在。
propaganda:n.宣传;传道总会;
[Anyone who refuses to sterilize will be arrested.] [拒绝节育的人会被逮捕]
And so were the threats against disobeying it. 同样的还有不遵守政策的后果威胁。
disobeying:v.不服从;不听话;不顺从;(disobey的现在分词)
The message seeped into our minds so much so that I grew up feeling embarrassed for having a younger brother. 这种宣传渗透进了我们的思想, 以至于我在成长过程中因为有一个弟弟 而感到羞耻。
seeped:vi.漏;渗出;n.小泉;水陆两用的吉普车; embarrassed:adj.尴尬的;窘迫的;v.使...局促不安;(embarrass的过去分词和过去式)
With each person I filmed, 在我记录的每一个人身上,
I saw how their minds and hearts can be influenced by the propaganda, and how their willingness to make sacrifices for the greater good can be twisted into something very dark and tragic . 我看到了他们的心智 是如何被宣传影响, 以及他们主动为更大利益 而自我牺牲的意愿 是如何被抹黑和扭曲成悲剧。
influenced:v.影响;对…起作用;支配;左右;(influence的过去分词和过去式) willingness:n.乐意;心甘情愿;自动自发; make sacrifices for:作出牺牲;做出牺牲; twisted:adj.扭曲的; v.使弯曲,使扭曲; (twist的过去分词和过去式) tragic:adj.悲剧的;悲痛的,不幸的;
China is not the only place where this happens. 中国不是这类事情发生的唯一国度。
There is no country on earth where propaganda isn't present. 地球上没有一个国家不存在宣传。
And in societies that are supposed to be more open and free than China, it can be even harder to recognize what propaganda looks like. 在本该比中国更加开放和自由的社会, 辨别出政策宣传甚至更难。
supposed:adj.误信的;所谓的;v.认为;假设;设想;(suppose的过去分词和过去式) recognize:v.认识;认出;辨别出;承认;意识到;
It hides in plain sight as news reports, 它隐藏在新闻报道中,
TV commercials , political campaigning and in our social media feeds. 电视广告里,政治选举中, 还有我们的社交媒体里。
commercials:n.商业广告;宣传;商业股票;(commercial的复数) media:n.媒体;媒质(medium的复数);血管中层;浊塞音;中脉;
It works to change our minds without our knowledge. 它可以在我们不知情的情况下 改变我们的想法。
Every society is vulnerable to accepting propaganda as truth, and no society where propaganda replaces the truth can be truly free. 每个社会都可能 把宣传口号当作真理, 而用宣传取代真理的社会 是不可能真正自由的。
vulnerable:adj.易受攻击的,易受…的攻击;易受伤害的;有弱点的;
Thank you. 谢谢。
(Applause) (掌声)