返回首页

NancyFrates_2014X-_开启冰桶挑战的母亲_

Well, good afternoon. 大家下午好
How many of you took the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge? 你们中有多少人 参加了冰桶挑战?
Ice Bucket:n.(餐桌上冰镇酒或饮料的)冰桶;
(Applause)
Woo hoo! 哦耶!
Well, I have to tell you, from the bottom of our hearts, thank you so very, very much. 我在此对你们表达衷心的谢意, 非常感谢你们!谢谢!
Do you know to date the ALS Association has raised 125 million dollars? 你们知道目前为止渐冻人(ALS)协会 已筹集到1.25亿美元了吗?
Association:n.协会;关联;联想;交往;
Woo hoo! (Applause) 哦耶!(掌声)
It takes me back to the summer of 2011. 这让我又想起2011年夏天
My family, my kids had all grown up. 我的孩子们都已经长大成人
We were officially empty nesters , and we decided, let's go on a family vacation. 而我们也正式成了空巢老人 于是我们决定操办一场家庭聚会
nesters:n.穴居的兽;筑巢的鸟;放牧地自耕农;试验筛组的单位筛;
Jenn, my daughter, and my son-in-law came down from New York. 我的女儿 Jenn 以及我的女婿 从纽约回来
son-in-law:n.女婿;
My youngest, Andrew, he came down from his home in Charlestown where he was working in Boston , and my son Pete, who had played at Boston College, baseball, had played baseball professionally in Europe, and had now come home and was selling group insurance , he also joined us. 我最小的孩子 Andrew 从查尔斯顿的家中过来 他在波士顿工作 还有我的儿子 Pete 他曾是波士顿学院棒球手 参加过欧洲的职业棒球赛 当时从事卖团体保险的工作,也加入了我们
Boston:n.波士顿(美国城市); professionally:adv.专业地;内行地; insurance:n.保险;保险业;保险费;保费;adj.胜券在握的;
And one night, I found myself having a beer with Pete, and Pete was looking at me and he just said, "You know, Mom, I don't know, selling group insurance is just not my passion ." 有一天晚上 我和Pete喝了一杯 Pete 看着我说: “妈妈,我觉得吧 卖团体保险不是我的热情所在。“
passion:n.激情;热情;酷爱;盛怒;
He said, "I just don't feel I'm living up to my potential . 他说,“我觉得这项工作辜负了我的潜力,
potential:n.潜能;可能性;[电]电势;adj.潜在的;可能的;势的;
I don't feel this is my mission in life." 我觉得这不是我的人生使命。“
mission:n.使命,任务;代表团;布道;v.派遣;向…传教;
And he said, "You know, oh by the way , Mom, 他还说:“噢,对了, 妈妈
by the way:顺便说一下;
I have to leave early from vacation because my inter-city league team that I play for made the playoffs , and I have to get back to Boston because I can't let my team down. 我得提前离开 因为我效力的队伍打进了季后赛 我得回波士顿去,因为我不能让我的队友失望
league:n.联赛;联盟;协会;种类;v.(使)结盟;(使)联合[团结];一鼻孔出气;组成联盟; playoffs:n.季后赛;
I'm just not as passionate about my job as I am about baseball." 我只是对我的工作 没有像对待棒球那样的热情。“
passionate:adj.热情的;热烈的,激昂的;易怒的;
So off Pete went, and left the family vacation — break a mother's heart — and he went, and we followed four days later to see the next playoff game. 因此Pete提前离开了 碎了当妈的心 然后他去了波士顿,四天以后我们也跟去了 去看即将到来的季后赛
We're at the playoff game, Pete's at the plate, and a fastball's coming in, and it hits him on the wrist . 我们在季后赛现场,Pete 在垒上 一个快球过来 打在了他的手腕上
wrist:n.手腕;腕关节;v.用腕力移动[送出,抛掷等];
Oh, Pete. 噢,Pete
His wrist went completely limp , like this. 他的手腕完全瘫软了,就像这样
limp:adj.柔软的,无力的;软弱的;vi.跛行,一拐一拐地走;缓慢费力地前进;n.跛行;
So for the next six months, 所以接下来的六个月里
Pete went back to his home in Southie, kept working that unpassionate job, and was going to doctors to see what was wrong with this wrist that never came back. Pete回了他在波士顿南部的家 继续做那份没有热情的工作 并去看医生 检查他的手腕出了什么问题 怎么复原不了
Six months later, in March, he called my husband and me, and he said, "Oh, Mom and Dad, we have a doctor that found a diagnosis for that wrist. 六个月以后,三月里 他打电话给我丈夫和我,说: “爸爸妈妈,有个医生 确诊了手腕的症状。
diagnosis:n.诊断;
Do you want to come with the doctor's appointment with me?" 你们想和我一起见见那个医生吗?“
appointment:n.任命;约定;任命的职位;
I said, "Sure, we'll come in." 我说:“当然,我们就去。”
That morning, Pete, John and I all got up, got dressed, got in our cars — three separate cars because we were going to go to work after the doctor's appointment to find out what happened to the wrist. 那天早上 Pete 、John 和我 都早起梳洗,上了车—— 三辆车—— 因为我们打算在见完医生并弄清楚他的手腕状况之后 就直接去上班
We walked into the neurologist 's office, sat down, four doctors walk in, and the head neurologist sits down. 我们走进神经科医师的办公室,坐好 四个医生走了进来 领头的医师坐了下来
neurologist:神经学家;神经科专门医师;
And he says, "Well, Pete, we've been looking at all the tests, and I have to tell you, it's not a sprained wrist, it's not a broken wrist, it's not nerve damage in the wrist, it's not an infection , it's not Lyme disease ." 他说:“Pete,我们看了所有的检测结果, 我不得不告诉你,这不是普通的手腕扭伤, 不是手腕骨折, 不是手腕神经坏死, 不是感染, 也不是莱姆病。“
sprained:v.扭伤(关节)(sprain的过去分词和过去式) nerve:n.神经;勇气;神经质;神经紧张;v.鼓足勇气;振作精神; infection:n.感染;传染;(身体某部位的)感染;传染病; Lyme disease:n.[病]莱姆病;
And there was this deliberate elimination going up, and I was thinking to myself, where is he going with this? 医生有意地排除了这么多可能性之后 我在想 他到底想说什么?
deliberate:v.深思熟虑;仔细考虑;反复思考;adj.故意的;蓄意的;存心的;不慌不忙的; elimination:n.消除;淘汰;除去;
Then he put his hands on his knees, he looked right at my 27-year-old kid, and said, "I don't know how to tell a 27-year-old this: 然后他把手放在膝盖上 看着我27岁的孩子,说: “我不知道怎么告诉一个27岁的人这件事:
Pete, you have ALS." Pete,你得了渐冻人症”
ALS? 渐冻人症?
I had had a friend whose 80-year-old father had ALS. 我曾有一个朋友,他80岁的父亲得了这个病
I looked at my husband, he looked at me, and then we looked at the doctor, and we said, "ALS? 我看着我丈夫,他也看着我 然后我们看着医生,说:“渐冻人症?
Okay, what treatment ? Let's go. 好吧,有什么治疗方法?我们开始治疗吧。
treatment:n.治疗;疗法;对待;处理;讨论;
What do we do? Let's go." 我们能做什么? 开始做吧。“
And he looked at us, and he said, "Mr. and Mrs. Frates, 他看着我们,说:“ Frates先生,Frates夫人
I'm sorry to tell you this, but there's no treatment and there's no cure." 我很遗憾地告诉你们 这病没有治疗方法,也不可能治愈。“
We were the worst culprits . 我们是最差劲的父母
culprits:n.犯人,罪犯;被控犯罪的人;
We didn't even understand that it had been 75 years since Lou Gehrig and nothing had been done in the progress against ALS. 我们甚至不能理解 从最初在卢`格里克身上发现这病至今,已有75年 但是对抗渐冻人症依然进展全无
So we all went home, and Jenn and Dan flew home from Wall Street , 所以我们都回了家 Jenn和Dan从华尔街飞了回来
Wall Street:n.华尔街(美国纽约金融中心和证券交易所所在地);
Andrew came home from Charlestown, and Pete went to B.C. to pick up his then-girlfriend Julie and brought her home, and six hours later after diagnosis, we're sitting around having a family dinner, and we're having small chat. Andrew从查尔斯顿赶来 Pete去了波士顿学院 接他当时的女友Julie回了家 在确诊六个小时后 我们坐在一起享用家庭晚餐 进行一些随意的聊天
I don't even remember cooking dinner that night. 那天晚上我甚至不记得要煮饭
But then our leader, Pete, set the vision , and talked to us just like we were his new team. 我们的领袖Pete 设定了愿景 他和我们讲话就像我们是他的新队员一样
vision:n.视力;美景;幻象;想象力;v.想象;显现;梦见;
He said, "There will be no wallowing , people." 他开口道:”我们不能沉湎于此。“
wallowing:v.打滚,翻滚;沉湎;放纵(wallow的现在分词)
He goes, "We're not looking back, we're looking forward. 他接着说:”我们也不能向后看, 而要向前展望。“
What an amazing opportunity we have to change the world. 这是多让人惊喜的改变世界的机会啊
I'm going to change the face of this unacceptable situation of ALS. 我要改变 渐冻人症这无法令人接受的现状
unacceptable:adj.不能接受(或允许、同意)的;
We're going to move the needle , and I'm going to get it in front of philanthropists like Bill Gates." 我们要推进治疗渐冻人症的发展 我要将这件事让比尔·盖茨一样的慈善家们知道
needle:n.针;针头;指针;缝针;v.穿过;刺激;拿针缝;拿针穿; philanthropists:n.慈善家,博爱主义者;乐善好施的人;
And that was it. We were given our directive . 就这样 我们有了方向
directive:n.指示;指令;adj.指导的;管理的;
So in the days and months that followed, within a week, we had our brothers and sisters and our family come to us, that they were already creating Team Frate Train. 所以接下来的日子里 我们的兄弟姐妹等家人们 在一周之内齐聚 他们已经创造了Frate训练团队
Frate:修道士;
Uncle Dave, he was the webmaster; Dave叔叔 是网络管理人
Uncle Artie, he was the accountant; Artie叔叔 是会计师
Auntie Dana , she was the graphic artist; and my youngest son, Andrew, quit his job, left his apartment in Charlestown and says, "I'm going to take care of Pete and be his caregiver ." Dana姨妈 是设计师 我最小的儿子 Andrew 辞了他的工作,离开了查尔斯顿的住处 他说:”我要照顾Pete,做他的护理师。“
Auntie:n.伯母;阿姨;姑妈;姨妈;舅妈(aunt的昵称); Dana:n.美国德纳(美国汽车公司); graphic:adj.形象的;图表的;绘画似的; quit:v.离开;放弃;停止;使…解除;n.离开;[计]退出;adj.摆脱了…的;已经了结的; caregiver:n.照料者,护理者;
Then all those people, classmates, teammates, coworkers that Pete had inspired throughout his whole life, the circles of Pete all started intersecting with one another, and made Team Frate Train. 之后,Pete的同学、队友 还有同事 这些被Pete的经历激励的人们 开始互相交流 组成了Frate团队
coworkers:n.同事;合作人;(coworker的复数形式) inspired:adj.受到启发的; v.鼓舞; (inspire的过去分词和过去式) throughout:adv.自始至终,到处;全部;prep.贯穿,遍及; intersecting:adj.交叉的;vt.交叉(intersect的现在分词);
Six months after diagnosis, 确诊六个月以后
Pete was given an award at a research summit for advocacy . Pete 被某研究峰会授予了一个奖项
summit:n.峰会;山顶;顶点;最高点; advocacy:n.主张;拥护;辩护;
He got up and gave a very eloquent speech, and at the end of the speech, there was a panel , and on the panel were these pharmaceutical executives and biochemists and clinicians and I'm sitting there and I'm listening to them and most of the content went straight over my head. 他起身做了一个非常棒的演讲 在演讲的最后有一个座谈会 参会人员有医药高管 有生化学家和临床医师 我坐在那 听他们的讲话 大部分内容都左耳进右耳出
eloquent:adj.意味深长的;雄辩的,有口才的;有说服力的;动人的; panel:n.镶板;仪表盘;钣金;(衣服上的)镶条;v.镶板(用木或玻璃板等镶嵌或装饰); pharmaceutical:adj.制药(学)的;n.药物; executives:n.经理,主管领导,管理人员;领导层;行政部门(executive的复数) biochemists:n.生物化学家; clinicians:临床医生(clinician的名词复数); content:n.内容,目录;满足;容量;adj.满意的;vt.使满足;
I avoided every science class I ever could. 我尽可能忽略掉了那些科学课
But I was watching these people, and I was listening to them, and they were saying, "I, I do this, I do that," 但我看着这些人 听他们讲话 他们说 “我 我做了这个 我做了那个”
and there was a real unfamiliarity between them. 他们之间隔着明显的生疏感
unfamiliarity:n.陌生;
So at the end of their talk, the panel, they had questions and answers, and boom , my hand went right up, and I get the microphone , and I look at them and I say, "Thank you. 在座谈会的最后 有提问环节 我的手立刻举起来 我拿到了麦克风 我看着他们 我说 “谢谢,
boom:n.繁荣;吊杆;v.激增;繁荣昌盛;轰鸣;轰响;adj.(美)猛涨起来的; microphone:n.麦克风;传声器;话筒;
Thank you so much for working in ALS. 谢谢你们为治愈渐冻人症做的努力
It means so very much to us." 这对我们来说很重要。”
I said, "But I do have to tell you that I'm watching your body language and I'm listening to what you're saying. 我说 “但是我得告诉你们 我观察了你们的肢体语言 听了你们的讲话
body language:n.身势语;
It just doesn't seem like there's a whole lot of collaboration going on here. 似乎你们之间并没有多少在整体上的合作
collaboration:n.合作;勾结;通敌;
And not only that , where's the flip chart with the action items and the follow-up and the accountability ? 不止如此 接下来的行动、追踪、问责,这些都在哪展现了?
only that:只是;要不是; flip chart:n.活动挂图;配套挂图; items:n.项目;一件商品(或物品);一则,一条(新闻)(item的复数) follow-up:adj.后续的;增补的;n.随访;跟进;后续行动; accountability:n.有义务;有责任;可说明性;
What are you going to do after you leave this room?" 你们离开这以后将会做什么?“
And then I turned around and there was about 200 pairs of eyes just staring at me. 我转过身去 大概有200双眼睛盯着我
staring:adj.凝视的,目不转睛的;显眼的;v.凝视;盯着看;显眼;(stare的现在分词)
And it was that point that I realized that I had talked about the elephant in the room . 那时候我意识到 我说到了禁忌
elephant in the room:房间里的大象,形容明明存在的问题却被人刻意回避;
Thus my mission had begun. 就这样 我的使命开始了
So over the next couple of years, 所以 在接下来的几年里
Pete — we've had our highs and our lows. Pete — 我们有过欢笑也有过泪水
Pete was put on a compassionate use drug. Pete参与了试药
compassionate:adj.慈悲的;富于同情心的;vt.同情;怜悯;
It was hope in a bottle for the whole ALS community . 对所有渐冻人而言这药是一线希望
community:n.社区;[生态]群落;共同体;团体;
It was in a phase III trial. 药品已经进入三期临床测试
phase:n.阶段;时期;月相;(月亮的)盈亏;v.分阶段进行;逐步做;
Then six months later, the data comes back: no efficacy . 六个月后 数据反馈回来了:无效
efficacy:n.功效,效力;
We were supposed to have therapies overseas , and the rug was pulled out from under us. 我们本该去海外接受治疗 但如今已为时太晚
supposed:adj.误信的;所谓的;v.认为;假设;设想;(suppose的过去分词和过去式) therapies:n.治疗方法(therapy复数形式); overseas:adv.在海外,海外;adj.海外的,国外的; rug:n.小地毯;垫子;(盖腿的)厚毯子;v.用厚毯包;
So for the next two years, we just watched my son be taken away from me, little by little every day. 所以接下来的两年 我们只能眼睁睁的看着我们的儿子远离我们 一点一点 一天一天
little by little:渐渐;逐渐地;
Two and a half years ago, 两年半以前
Pete was hitting home runs at baseball fields. Pete还在棒球场上打全垒打
Today, Pete's completely paralyzed . 今天 Pete完全瘫痪了
paralyzed:adj.瘫痪的;麻痹的;v.使麻痹;使无力;使失去勇气(paralyze的过去分词);
He can't hold his head up any longer. 他不能再抬头
He's confined to a motorized wheelchair . 他被限制在机动轮椅上
confined:adj.狭窄的; v.限制(confine的过去式和过去分词); motorized:adj.摩托化的;机动化的;v.使…机械化(motorize的过去分词); wheelchair:n.轮椅;
He can no longer swallow or eat. 他不能再吞咽
swallow:v.吞下;咽下;吞没;相信;n.吞;咽;燕;一次吞咽的量;
He has a feeding tube. 他有一根进食管
He can't speak. 他不能讲话
He talks with eye gaze technology and a speech generating device , and we're watching his lungs, because his diaphragm eventually is going to give out and then the decision will be made to put him on a ventilator or not. 他用眼睛凝视技术 和演讲发声装置交流 我们很关注他的肺 因为他的膈最终会消失 那时候就得决定要不要为他装换气机
gaze:v.凝视;注视;盯着;n.凝视;注视; technology:n.技术;工艺;术语; generating:v.产生;引起;(generate的现在分词) device:n.装置;策略;图案; diaphragm:n.隔膜;快门,[摄]光圈;横隔膜;隔板; eventually:adv.最后,终于; ventilator:n.通风设备;换气扇;[医]呼吸机;
ALS robs the human of all their physical parts, but the brain stays intact . 渐冻人症夺走了人所有的器官但大脑却是完好的
physical:adj.[物]物理的;身体的;物质的;符合自然法则的;n.体格检查; intact:adj.完整的;原封不动的;未受损伤的;
So July 4th, 2014, 75th year of Lou Gehrig's inspirational speech comes, 2014年7月4日 第75界卢格里克激励演讲到来
inspirational:adj.鼓舞人心的;带有灵感的,给予灵感的;
And it was very significant , because he wrote it using his eye gaze technology. 这意义非常重大因为这篇文章是他用眼睛凝视技术写的
significant:adj.重大的;有效的;有意义的;值得注意的;意味深长的;n.象征;有意义的事物;
Twenty days later, the ice started to fall. 二十天后 冰桶挑战开始
On July 27th, Pete's roommate in New York City, wearing a Quinn For The Win shirt, signifying Pat Quinn, another ALS patient known in New York, and B.C. shorts said, "I'm taking the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge," 7月27日 Pete在纽约的室友 穿了一件Quinn For The Win衬衫 象征Pat Quinn另一名纽约知名的渐冻人患者 和波士顿学院的短裤 他说 ”我接受渐冻人冰桶挑战“
signifying:v.表示;说明;预示;显示;要紧;(signify的现在分词) patient:adj.有耐心的,能容忍的;n.病人;患者;
picked up the ice, put it over his head. 举起冰水倒在自己头上
put it over:取得成功;
'"And I'm nominating ..." And he sent it up to Boston. ”我提名... 他传到了波士顿
nominating:v.提名;推荐;任命;指派;(nominate的现在分词)
And that was on July 27th. 那仅仅是7月27日
Over the next couple of days, our news feed was full of family and friends. 接下来的几天里 我们的新闻里 都是家人和朋友
If you haven't gone back, the nice thing about Facebook is that you have the dates, you can go back. 如果你们没有看过也不要紧因为脸书有个优点 就是有日期标注 你们可以翻回去
You've got to see Uncle Artie's human Bloody Mary . 你们一定得看看Artie叔叔的表现
Bloody Mary:n.血腥玛丽(用伏特加酒加番茄汁调制而成);
I'm telling you, it's one of the best ones, and that was probably in day two. 我敢保证 那是最精彩的视频之一 那大概是第二天的事
By about day four, Uncle Dave, the webmaster , he isn't on Facebook, and I get a text from him, and it says, " Nancy , what the hell is going on?" 到了第四天 网站管理人Dave叔叔 他没有脸书 我收到一条他的短信上面写着,“Nancy, 这到底是怎么回事?”
webmaster:n.网络管理员; Nancy:adj.柔弱的;搞同性关系的;n.假娘儿们;
Uncle Dave gets a hit every time Pete's website is gone onto, and his phone was blowing up. 每次有人访问Pete的网站Dave叔叔会收到提示 他的手机快要爆炸了
So we all sat down and we realized, money is coming in — how amazing. 我们坐下来意识到 钱来了—— 多难以置信
So we knew awareness would lead to funding , we just didn't know it would only take a couple of days. 我们知道到关注能够带来资金 我们只是不知道这只用几天的功夫
awareness:n.意识,认识;明白,知道; funding:n.基金;资金;提供资金;v.为…提供资金;拨款给;(fund的现在分词)
So we got together, put our best 501(c)(3)s on Pete's website, and off we went. 我们聚到一起 把最精彩的501(c)(3)视频放到Pete的网站上 自那之后
So week one, Boston media . 第一周 波士顿媒体
media:n.媒体;媒质(medium的复数);血管中层;浊塞音;中脉;
Week two, national media. 第二周 国家媒体
It was during week two that our neighbor next door opened up our door and threw a pizza across the kitchen floor, saying, "I think you people might need food in there." 到了第二周 我们隔壁的邻居 打开我们家的门 隔着厨房 扔进来一个披萨 说 ”我觉得你们大概需要吃些东西“
(Laughter) (笑声)
Week three, celebrities — Entertainment Tonight, 第三周 名星节目—今夜娱乐
celebrities:n.名人;名誉;(celebrity的复数)
Access Hollywood. 直通好莱坞
Week four, global — BBC, Irish Radio. 第四周 全球媒体 — 英国广播公司和 爱尔兰广播电视局
global:adj.全球的;总体的;球形的;
Did anyone see "Lost In Translation"? 有人看过“迷失东京”吗?
My husband did Japanese television. 我丈夫上了日本的电视节目
It was interesting. 很有意思
(Laughter) (笑声)
And those videos, the popular ones. 这些视频 最受欢迎的视频
Paul Bissonnette's glacier video, incredible . Paul Bissonnette的冰河视频 难以置信
glacier:n.冰河,冰川; incredible:adj.难以置信的,惊人的;
How about the redemption nuns of Dublin ? 都柏林修女的视频怎么样?
redemption:n.赎回;拯救;偿还;实践; nuns:n.修女;尼姑;(nun的复数) Dublin:n.都柏林(爱尔兰共和国的首都);
Who's seen that one? 谁看了那个?
It's absolutely fantastic . 绝对精彩
absolutely:adv.绝对地;完全地; fantastic:奇异的,空想的
J.T., Justin Timberlake. J.T. 贾斯汀·汀布莱克
That's when we knew, that was a real A-list celebrity . 他是我们知道的真正的甲级名人
celebrity:n.名人;名声;
I go back on my texts, and I can see "JT! JT!" My sister texting me. 我翻看短信 我看到 “JT!JT!”我姐姐的短信
go back on:违背;背弃;
Angela Merkel, the chancellor of Germany. Angela Merkel 来自德国的挑战者
chancellor:n.总理(德,奥等的); (美)首席法官;
Incredible. 难以置信
And the ALS patients , you know what their favorite ones are, and their families'? 对于渐冻人症病人 你们知道他们和他们的家人最喜欢的是哪个吗?
patients:n.接受治疗者,病人;(patient的复数)
All of them. 是所有的
Because this misunderstood and underfunded "rare" disease, they just sat and watched people saying it over and over : "ALS, ALS." 因为这些视频重新定义并捐助了“稀有”疾病 他们看着人们一遍又一遍的说“渐冻人症 渐冻人症”
misunderstood:adj.被误解的;v.误解,误会(misunderstand的过去式); underfunded:adj.资金不足的;v.对…提供的资金不足(underfund的过去分词); over and over:反复;再三;
It was unbelievable . 这真难以置信
unbelievable:adj.(非正式)难以置信的;不可信的
And those naysayers , let's just talk a couple of stats , shall we? 那些反对者 让我们举几个例子好吗
naysayers:n.否定者;拒绝者;老是唱反调的人; stats:n.统计数据;统计学;
Okay, so the ALS Association, they think by year end, it'll be 160 million dollars. 好了 所以渐冻人症协会 他们认为到年底会收到16亿美元捐款
ALS TDI in Cambridge , they raised three million dollars. 剑桥的渐冻人治疗研发机构 他们筹集到了三百万美金
Cambridge:n.剑桥(英国城市);坎布里奇(美国马萨诸塞州城市);
Well, guess what? 猜猜然后怎么了
They had a clinical trial for a drug that they've been developing. 他们拿到了一个新研发药品的临床试验
clinical:adj.临床的;诊所的;
It was on a three-year track for funding. 曾经是三年期限资助
track:n.小道;足迹;车辙;轨道;v.追踪;跟踪;
Two months. 现在 两个月
It's coming out starting in two months. 两个月之内开始
(Applause) (掌声)
And YouTube has reported that over 150 countries have posted Ice Bucket Challenges for ALS. 据YouTube报道 已经有超过150个国家发布了渐冻人症冰桶挑战
And Facebook, 2.5 million videos, and I had the awesome adventure visiting the Facebook campus last week, and I said to them, "I know what it was like in my house. 脸书上有250万视频 我有幸在上周 拜访了脸书总部 我和他们说:“我知道我是什么感觉
awesome:adj.令人敬畏的;使人畏惧的;可怕的;极好的; adventure:n.冒险;奇遇;经历;冒险游戏;v.探险;以…冒险;大胆进行;闯; campus:n.(大学)校园;大学,大学生活;校园内的草地;
I can't imagine what it was like around here." 我不能想象你们是什么感觉”
All she said was, " Jaw-dropping ." 她说: “简直惊呆了”
Jaw-dropping:adj.指极度令人惊讶的,给人深刻印象的,或骇人听闻的;
And my family's favorite video? 我们家最喜欢的视频是什么呢
Bill Gates. 比尔 盖茨的
Because the night Pete was diagnosed , he told us that he was going to get ALS in front of philanthropists like Bill Gates, and he did it. 因为Pete确诊那晚 他说他要让像比尔盖茨一样的慈善家知道渐冻人症 他做到了
diagnosed:v.诊断(疾病);判断(问题的原因);(diagnose的过去分词和过去式)
Goal number one, check. 第一个目标 完成
Now on to the treatment and cure. 现在目标是治疗和治愈
(Applause) (掌声)
So okay, after all of this ice, we know that it was much more than just pouring buckets of ice water over your head, and I really would like to leave you with a couple of things that I'd like you to remember. 好了 在冰桶挑战以后 我们知道这不止是 把一桶冰水浇在头上 我真的希望和你们分享的是 几件我希望你们会记得的事
pouring:v.倾倒;倾泻;连续流出;倒出;喷发;(pour的现在分词) buckets:n.大桶状物; v.拼命划桨; (bucket的第三人称单数和复数) ice water:n.冰水(饮料);
The first thing is, every morning when you wake up, you can choose to live your day in positivity . 第一件事是 每天早上当你醒来的时候 你可以选择积极的生活
positivity:n.积极性,确实;
Would any of you blame me if I just was in the fetal position and pulled the covers over my head every day? 你们中会有人责怪我吗 如果我只是像个婴儿一样逃避 用裹布蒙住自己的头自欺欺人
fetal:adj.胎的,胎儿的;
No, I don't think anybody would blame me, but Pete has inspired us to wake up every morning and be positive and proactive . 不 我不觉得会有人责怪我 但Pete鼓励我们每天早上醒来 并且积极主动地生活
positive:adj.积极的;[数]正的,[医][化学]阳性的;确定的;n.正数;[摄]正片; proactive:adj.前摄的(前一活动中的因素对后一活动造成影响的);
I actually had to ditch support groups because everybody was in there saying that spraying their lawns with chemicals , that's why they got ALS, and I was like, "I don't think so," 事实上我得寻找支持的团队 因为所有人都在说 在草地上喷洒化学物质 这就是为什么他们得了渐冻人症 我说 “我不这么认为”
ditch:v.在…上掘沟;把…开入沟里;丢弃;n.沟渠;壕沟; spraying:v.喷;喷洒;向…扫射(或抛洒);撒尿(以示领地占有);(spray的现在分词) lawns:n.[建]草地(lawn的复数形式); v.将地修改成草坪(lawn的第三人称单数); chemicals:n.化学制品;化学品;(chemical的复数)
but I had to get away from the negativity . 我不得不远离消极
negativity:n.否定性;消极性;
The second thing I want to leave you with is the person at the middle of the challenge has to be willing to have the mental toughness to put themselves out there. 第二件我想和你们分享的事 是面对挑战的人 一定得内心坚强 把自己从悲观中解救出来
mental:adj.精神的;脑力的;疯的;n.精神病患者; toughness:n.[力]韧性;强健;有粘性;
Pete still goes to baseball games and he still sits with his teammates in the dugout , and he hangs his gravity feed bag right on the cages. Pete仍然参加棒球比赛 他仍然和他的队友坐在一起 他把利用重力的进食袋 挂在防护栏
dugout:n.独木舟;防空壕;棒球场边供球员休息的地方;
You'll see the kids, they're up there hanging it up. 你们会看到孩子们 起身替他挂好
'"Pete, is that okay?" "Yup." “Pete 这样行么?” “当然”
And then they put it right into his stomach. 然后他们把进食管放进他的胃里
Because he wants them to see what the reality of this is, and how he's never, ever going to give up. 因为他想要他们看到渐冻人的真实生活 以及他是怎样永不言弃
And the third thing I want to leave you with: 第三件我想和你们分享的事
If you ever come across a situation that you see as so unacceptable, 如果你遇到这样的情况 你觉得是如此不能接受
come across:偶然遇见;给人以…的印象;
I want you to dig down as deep as you can and find your best mother bear and go after it. 我想你尽可能地深思 找到希望 并追寻希望
(Applause) (掌声)
Thank you. 谢谢
(Applause) (掌声)
I know that I'm running over, but I've got to leave you with this: the gifts that my son has given me. 我知道 我的演讲超时了 但我还要和你们分享 我儿子送给我的礼物
I have had 29 years of having the honor of being the mother of Pete Frates. 29年来 我有幸成为Pete Frates的母亲
Pete Frates has been inspiring and leading his whole life. Pete Frates一直在激励和领导他自己的生活
inspiring:adj.鼓舞人心的;灌输的;v.鼓舞;激发;使感悟;(inspire的现在分词)
He's thrown out kindness, and all that kindness has come back to him. 他播种善良 也收获了善良
He walks the face of the Earth right now and knows why he's here. 他知道当下活着的意义
What a gift. 多么珍贵的礼物
The second thing that my son has given me is he's given me my mission in life. 第二件我儿子送给我的礼物 是他给予我人生的意义
Now I know why I'm here. 现在我知道为什么而活
I'm going to save my son, and if it doesn't happen in time for him, 我要拯救我的儿子 如果我没能及时救他
I'm going to work so that no other mother has to go through what I'm going through. 我会继续工作 这样其他妈妈 就不会有和我相同的经历
And the third thing, and last but not least gift that my son has given me, as an exclamation point to the miraculous month of August 2014: 第三件事,最后一件但并非不重要的事是 我儿子送给我的礼物 像个惊叹号一样 发生在这个奇迹的时刻 2014年的8月
last but not least:最后但不是最不重要的一点; exclamation:n.感叹;惊叫;惊叹词; miraculous:adj.不可思议的,奇迹的;
That girlfriend that he went to get on the night of diagnosis is now his wife, and Pete and Julie have given me my granddaughter, Lucy Fitzgerald Frates. 那个在他确诊的夜晚他去接的女孩现在是他的妻子了 Pete和Julie已经生下我的孙女 Lucy Fitzgerald Frates
Lucy Fitzgerald Frates came two weeks early as the exclamation point on August 31st, 2014. Lucy Fitzgerald Frates早产了两周 作为惊叹号 在2014年8月31日出生
And so let me leave you with Pete's words of inspiration that he would use to classmates, coworkers and teammates. 所以让我和你们分享Pete激励的话语 他对同学、同事和队友说过的话
Be passionate. 永远热情
Be genuine . 永远真诚
genuine:adj.真实的,真正的;诚恳的;
Be hardworking. 永远勤奋
And don't forget to be great. 还有别忘了做个好人
Thank you. (Applause) 谢谢 (掌声)