返回首页

NadiaAlSakkaf_2011G-_我看也门_

Pat Mitchell: You have brought us images from the Yemen Times. Pat Mitchell (以下简称PM) : 你从《也门时报》给我们带来了照片。
Pat:v.合适; n.拍打; adj.过于简易的; v.(喜爱地)轻拍; images:n.印象;声誉;形象;画像;雕像;(image的第三人称单数和复数)
And take us through those, and introduce us to another Yemen. 给我们讲讲这些照片, 给我们介绍一个不一样的也门。
Nadia Al-Sakkaf: Well, I'm glad to be here. Nadia Al-Sakkaf (以下简称NA) : 好的。我很高兴能够来到这儿。
And I would like to share with you all some of the pictures that are happening today in Yemen. 我很愿意很你们所有人分享 一些纪录也门今天的照片。
This picture shows a revolution started by women, and it shows women and men leading a mixed protest . 这幅照片展示的是一场 由女性发起的革命。 照片中女性和男性共同 领导一次抗议。
revolution:n.革命;旋转;运行;循环; protest:n.抗议;抗议书(或行动);反对;v.(公开)反对;抗议;申辩;
The other picture is the popularity of the real need for change. 另一幅图片 展示了人们真切要求变革的强烈呼声。
popularity:n.流行;受欢迎;普及
So many people are there. 许多人都在那儿。
The intensity of the upspring. 抗议非常激烈。
intensity:n.强度;强烈;[电子]亮度;紧张;
This picture shows that the revolution has allowed opportunities for training, for education. 这幅图片显示,革命已经帮助 也门女性取得一些 教育、培训的机会。
These women are learning about first aid and their rights according to the constitution . 这些女性在学习急救知识, 以及宪法赋予她们的权利。
first aid:adj.急救的;急救用的; according to:根据,据说; constitution:n.宪法;构成;体质;组成;
I love this picture. 我喜欢这张照片。
I just wanted to show that over 60 percent of the Yemeni population are 15 years and below. 我只是想展示, 也门60%以上的人口 都在15岁及15岁以下。
Yemeni:adj.也门的;也门人的;n.也门人;
And they were excluded from decision-making , and now they are in the forefront of the news, raising the flag. 过去他们与决策制定无缘, 现在他们高举着旗子, 走在新闻的前沿。
excluded:v.排除;拒绝;把…除外;驱除;(excluded是exclude的过去分词) decision-making:n.决策; forefront:n.最前线,最前部;活动的中心;
English -- you will see, this is jeans and tights , and an English expression -- the ability to share with the world what is going on in our own country. 英语—— 你可以看到,照片中的人穿着牛仔裤 和紧身衣, 身上贴着英文标语—— 也门人能够和全世界分享 在自己的国家都发生些什么。
tights:n.紧身衣;贴身衬衣; expression:n.表现,表示,表达;
And expression also, it has brought talents. 一些标语也 让有才能的人崭露头角。
Yemenis are using cartoons and art, paintings, comics, to tell the world and each other about what's going on. 也门人通过卡通、 艺术、 绘画和漫画, 向世界及同胞们讲述 发生在也门的事。
Obviously, there's always the dark side of it. 当然,凡事都有两面。
And this is just one of the less-gruesome pictures of the revolution and the cost that we have to pay. 一些照片显示了我们为革命必须付出的代价。 这张照片只是其中 不那么可怕的一张。
The solidarity of millions of Yemenis across the country just demanding the one thing. 来自也门各地的成千上万的也门人 团结一致, 只为革命。
solidarity:n.团结,团结一致;
And finally , lots of people are saying that Yemen's revolution is going to break the country. 最后这张。许多人都说 也门的革命 会把这个国家拖垮的。
finally:adv.终于;最终;(用于列举)最后;彻底地;
Is it going to be so many different countries? 也门会不会分裂成几个国家?
Is it going to be another Somalia? 会不会成为索马里第二?
But we want to tell the world that, no, under the one flag, we'll still remain as Yemeni people. 但我们想要告诉世界,不, 在也门的国旗下,我们永远是也门人。
PM: Thank you for those images, Nadia. PM: 谢谢你带给我们这些图片,Naida。
And they do, in many ways, tell a different story than the story of Yemen, the one that is often in the news. 它们确实,在许多方面, 都给我们讲述了一个不一样的也门, 一个和我们经常在新闻里看到的 不一样的也门。
And yet, you yourself defy all those characterizations . 事实上,你自己 就摒弃了各种传统特征。
defy:vt.藐视;公然反抗;挑衅;使落空;n.挑战;对抗; characterizations:特性;
So let's talk about the personal story for a moment. 我们就来谈谈你的个人故事。
personal:adj.个人的;身体的;亲自的;n.人事消息栏;人称代名词;
Your father is murdered. 你的父亲是被杀害的。
The Yemen Times already has a strong reputation in Yemen as an independent English language newspaper. 作为一份独立的英文报纸, 《也门时报》在也门 已经树立了良好的声誉。
independent:adj.独立的; n.无党派议员(或候选人等);
How did you then make the decision and assume the responsibilities of running a newspaper, especially in such times of conflict ? 你当时是怎样 做出接手报纸的 决定的, 特别是在当时冲突严重的时期?
assume:v.承担;假定;采取;呈现; especially:adv.尤其;特别;格外;十分; conflict:n.冲突;矛盾;争执;抵触;v.抵触;
NA: Well, let me first warn you that I'm not the traditional Yemeni girl. NA: 首先我必须说 我不是传统型的也门女孩儿。
traditional:传统的,惯例的,
I've guessed you've already noticed this by now. 我猜你们已经注意到了。
(Laughter) (笑)
In Yemen, most women are veiled and they are sitting behind doors and not very much part of the public life. 在也门,大多数女性都戴着面纱, 坐在门后, 无缘公众生活。
veiled:adj.隐藏的; v.戴面纱(veil的过去式和过去分词);
But there's so much potential . 但这其中潜力无穷。
potential:n.潜能;可能性;[电]电势;adj.潜在的;可能的;势的;
I wish I could show you my Yemen. 我希望我能给你展示我的也门。
I wish you could see 我希望你能够
Yemen through my eyes. 通过我的眼睛来看也门。
Then you would know that there's so much to it. 你会有 许许多多的发现。
And I was privileged because I was born into a family, my father would always encourage the boys and the girls. 我很幸运,因为在我出生的家庭, 父亲总是不停激励男孩女孩们。
privileged:adj.有特权的; v.给予特权; (privilege的过去式和过去分词)
He would say we are equal. 他说我们是平等的。
And he was such an extraordinary man. 他是如此非凡的一个人。
extraordinary:adj.非凡的;特别的;离奇的;临时的;特派的;
And even my mother -- I owe it to my family. 还有我的母亲——我的故事——
owe:v.归功于;欠(债);欠(账);欠(情)
A story: 归功于我的家人。
I studied in India. 我在印度上的大学。
And in my third year, I started becoming confused because I was Yemeni, but I was also mixing up with a lot of my friends in college. 在我大三的时候,我开始感到非常困惑, 因为我是也门人, 但我也总和许多 大学朋友在一起。
confused:adj.困惑的; v.使糊涂; (confuse的过去分词和过去式) mixing:n.混合;混频;录音;v.混合,掺和,融合;调配;配制;相容;(mix的现在分词)
And I went back home and I said, "Daddy, I don't know who I am. 回家后我说, “爸爸,我不知道我是谁。
I'm not a Yemeni; I'm not an Indian." 我不是也门人,我也不是印度人。”
And he said, "You are the bridge." 他回答说,“你是连接两者的桥梁。”
And that is something I will keep in my heart forever. 我会永远记住他的话。
So since then I've been the bridge, and a lot of people have walked over me. 从此以后我就是桥梁, 许多人都从我身上走过。
PM: I don't think so. (Laughter) PM: 我可不这么想。
NA: But it just helps tell that some people are change agents in the society. NA: 这帮助人们了解 一些人在社会中 是变革的推动者。
agents:n.代理人,经纪人;原动力;(agent的复数)
And when I became editor-in-chief after my brother actually -- my father passed away in 1999, and then my brother until 2005 -- and everybody was betting that I will not be able to do it. 当我成为主编的时候, 事实上是在我哥哥之后—— 我父亲在1999年去世, 之后到2005年一直是我哥哥作主编—— 所有人都打赌说,我做不下来。
editor-in-chief:n.总编辑;总主笔; betting:n.打赌;赌钱;v.下赌注(于);用…打赌;敢说;(bet的现在分词)
'"What's this young girl coming in and showing off because it's her family business," or something. “这个年轻的女孩儿想干吗?跑过来显摆, 就因为这是她家的报纸,”之类的话。
It was very hard at first. 刚开始非常困难。
I didn't want to clash with people. 我不想和别人发生冲突。
clash:v.冲突; n.冲突;
But with all due respect to all the men, and the older men especially, they did not want me around. 但是恕我直言, 男人们,特别是年长的男人, 他们不想看到我。
It was very hard, you know, to impose my authority . 你知道,要树立我的权威 非常得困难。
impose:v.推行;迫使;强制实行;把…强加于; authority:n.权威;权力;当局;
But a woman's got to do what a woman's got to do. 但是一个女人必须要做一个女人需要做的事。
(Applause) (掌声)
And in the first year, 第一年中,
I had to fire half of the men. 我不得不解雇了报社里一半的男人。
(Laughter) (笑)
(Applause) (掌声)
Brought in more women. 招聘更多的女人。
Brought in younger men. 招进更多更年轻的男人。
And we have a more gender-balanced newsroom today. 现在新闻室里有了更加平衡的男女比例。
newsroom:n.新闻编辑部;报刊阅览室;
The other thing is that it's about professionalism . 我还需要做到专业。
professionalism:n.专业主义;专家的地位;特性或方法;
It's about proving who you are and what you can do. 你需要证明你是谁,你能做什么。
And I don't know if I'm going to be boasting now, but in 2006 alone, we won three international awards. 我不知道这算不算是吹嘘, 但仅在2006年一年中, 我们就获得了三项国际奖项。
boasting:v.吹嘘,夸耀(boast的ing形式);n.吹嘘;
One of them is the IPI 其中之一是国际新闻学会的
Free Media Pioneer Award. 自由媒体先锋奖。
Media:n.媒体;媒质(medium的复数);血管中层;浊塞音;中脉;
So that was the answer to all the Yemeni people. 这是我们对所有也门人 的回答。
And I want to score a point here, because my husband is in the room over there. 在这儿我想打个岔, 因为我的丈夫就坐在会场那边。
If you could please stand up, [unclear]. 请你站起来好么。[不清晰]
He has been very supportive of me. 他一直非常支持我。
supportive:adj.支持的;支援的;赞助的;
(Applause) (掌声)
PM: And we should point out that he works with you as well at the paper. PM: 我们应该指出 他也和你一起在报社工作。
But in assuming this responsibility and going about it as you have, you have become a bridge between an older and traditional society and the one that you are now creating at the paper. 通过接手和主编报纸, 就如你已经做了的那样, 你成了沟通社会的桥梁, 连接着一个更为古老的传统社会 和一个你正在报社创造的社会。
assuming:conj.假设…为真; adj.傲慢的; v.假定; (assume的现在分词)
And so along with changing who worked there, you must have come up against another positioning that we always run into, in particular with women, and it has to do with outside image, dress, the veiled woman. 在改变报社员工的过程中, 你一定不得不对抗另一个定位。 这个定位我们总会碰到,特别是女性, 它是关于外在的形象、 着装,戴面纱的妇女。
come up against:v.碰到;遭遇; in particular:尤其,特别;
So how have you dealt with this on a personal level as well as the women who worked for you? 你是如何处理这个问题的, 从个人的角度 以及为你工作的其他女性的角度?
as well as:也;和…一样;不但…而且;
NA: As you know, the image of a lot of Yemeni women is a lot of black and covered, veiled women. NA: 正如大家所知, 许多也门妇女的形象都是身着黑衣、 佩戴面纱。
And this is true. 这是事实。
And a lot of it is because women are not able, are not free, to show their face to their self. 很大程度上,这是 因为女性不能够、不被允许 向她们自己展示自己的面孔。
It's a lot of traditional imposing coming by authority figures such as the men, the grandparents and so on. 这是来自权威, 比如说男人、祖父母等人的 传统的施压。
imposing:adj.壮观的; v.推行,采用; (impose的现在分词)
And it's economic empowerment and the ability for a woman to say, "I am as much contributing to this family, or more, than you are." 如果一个女人能说, “我对这个家庭的贡献和你一样大, 甚至大于你。” 这会在经济上鼓励妇女。
economic:adj.经济的,经济上的;经济学的; empowerment:n.许可,授权; contributing:v.捐献,捐赠(尤指款或物);捐助;增加;增进;(contribute的现在分词)
And the more empowered the women become, the more they are able to remove the veil, for example, or to drive their own car or to have a job or to be able to travel. 女性得到的激励越大, 她们就越有能力去,比如说,摘掉面纱, 或者自己驾车, 或者工作,或者旅游。
empowered:v.授权;给(某人)…的权力;(empower的过去分词和过去式)
So the other face of Yemen is actually one that lies behind the veil, and it's economic empowerment mostly that allows the woman to just uncover it. 也门的另一面 其实 藏在面纱之后。 允许女性摘掉面纱, 会在经济上给予她们极大的激励。
uncover:v.揭开盖子;发现;揭露;揭发;
And I have done this throughout my work. 在我的工作上我一直在这样做。
throughout:adv.自始至终,到处;全部;prep.贯穿,遍及;
I've tried to encourage young girls. 我一直鼓励年轻女孩儿们摘掉面纱。
We started with, you can take it off in the office. 开始我说,在办公室里你们可以不戴面纱。
And then after that, you can take it off on assignments . 之后我说,在采访的时候你们也可以不戴面纱。
assignments:n.作业;分配;(assignment的复数形式)
Because I didn't believe a journalist can be a journalist with -- how can you talk to people if you have your face covered? -- and so on; it's just a movement. 因为我认为你戴着面纱就不可能作记者—— 你怎么可能遮着脸和别人谈话?—— 等等; 另外
journalist:n.新闻工作者;报人;记日志者;
And I am a role model in Yemen. 在也门我是个榜样。
role model:n.榜样;崇拜对象;
A lot of people look up to me. 很多人钦佩我。
look up to:尊敬;
A lot of young girls look up to me. 很多年轻的女孩儿钦佩我。
And I need to prove to them that, yes, you can still be married, you can still be a mother, and you can still be respected within the society, but at the same time , that doesn't mean you [should] just be one of the crowd. 我要证明给他们看,你仍然可以结婚, 你仍然能成为一个母亲, 仍然可以在社会上得到尊重, 但与此同时, 这并不意味着你必须与众人一样。
at the same time:同时;另一方面;与此同时;
You can be yourself and have your face. 你可以作你自己,你可以展露你的面孔。
PM: But by putting yourself personally out there -- both projecting a different image of Yemeni women, but also what you have made possible for the women who work at the paper -- has this put you in personal danger? PM: 但是你这样身先士卒—— 不仅展示了一个不一样的 也门女性的形象, 还给在报纸工作的女性 创造了许多可能—— 会不会把自己置于危险之中?
personally:adv.个人;亲自;本人;就本人而言;
NA: Well the Yemen Times, across 20 years, has been through so much. NA: 20年来《也门时报》 经历了许多跌宕起伏。
We've suffered prosecution; the paper was closed down more than three times. 我们遭遇过迫害; 报社三次被迫关闭。
It's an independent newspaper, but tell that to the people in charge. 《也门时报》是份独立报纸, 可是当权者可不这么想。
They think that if there's anything against them, then we are being an opposition newspaper. 他们觉得如果我们刊登了反对他们的东西, 我们就是反对派报纸。
opposition:n.反对党;对立;在野党;对抗;
And very, very difficult times. 我们还经历过非常、非常艰难的时期。
Some of my reporters were arrested. 我们的一些记者被逮捕过。
We had some court cases. 我们打过数次官司。
My father was assassinated . 我的父亲被刺杀。
assassinated:v.(尤为政治目的)暗杀,行刺(assassinate的过去分词和过去式)
Today, we are in a much better situation. 现在我们的处境比过去好多了。
We've created the credibility . 我们树立了很好的信誉。
credibility:n.可信性;确实性;
And in times of revolution or change like today, it is very important for independent media to have a voice. 在像现在这样的革命或者变革时期, 独立媒体要勇于报导,这点非常重要。
It's very important for you to go to YemenTimes.com, and it's very important to listen to our voice. 你们访问《也门时报》的网站,YemenTimes.com, 这非常重要。 你们倾听我们的声音, 这非常重要。
And this is probably something 有一点
I'm going to share with you in Western media probably -- and how there's a lot of stereotypes -- thinking of Yemen in one single frame : this is what Yemen is all about. 我想和大家说的是 恐怕在西方媒体—— 有很多成见—— 用一个模子看也门, 认为这就是也门的全部。
stereotypes:n.模式化观念(或形象); v.对…形成模式化(或类型化)的看法; (stereotype的第三人称单数和复数) frame:n.框架; v.设计; adj.有木架的;
And that's not fair. 这不公平。
It's not fair for me; it's not fair for my country. 这对我不公平,对我的国家不公平。
A lot of reporters come to Yemen and they want to write a story on Al-Qaeda or terrorism . 很多记者来到也门 一门心思地想报导“基地”组织或者恐怖主义。
Al-Qaeda:n.基地组织; terrorism:n.恐怖主义;
And I just wanted to share with you: there's one reporter that came. 我想给大家讲个真人真事: 有个记者到了也门。
He wanted to do a documentary on what his editors wanted. 他本来打算 按他的编辑希望的那样做纪录片。
And he ended up writing about a story that even surprised me -- hip hop -- that there are young Yemeni men who express themselves through dancing and puchu puchu. 但他后来的纪录片内容让我都大吃一惊—— 嘻哈—— 一些也门年轻男性 通过跳舞和“puchu puchu(嘻哈的节奏)” 来表现自己。
hip:n.臀部;蔷薇果;忧郁;adj.熟悉内情的;非常时尚的; hop:n.啤酒花;单足短距离跳跃;;v.单脚跳行;齐足(或双足)跳行;突然快速去某处;
(Laughter) (笑)
That thing. (PM: Rap . Break dancing.) 那一类东西。(PM: 说唱。霹雳舞。)
Rap:n.说唱;说唱音乐;罪责;不公正的判决;v.击打;突然大声说出;严厉批评;
Yeah, break dancing. 对,霹雳舞。
I'm not so old. 我没有老掉牙。
I'm just not in touch. 我只是与外界隔绝。
(Laughter) (笑)
(Applause) (掌声)
PM: Yes, you are. PM: 对,是这样。
Actually, that's a documentary that's available online; the video's online. 事实上,我们可以在网络上 找到这个纪录片;这个片子被传到网上了。
NA: ShaketheDust.org. NA: 网址是:ShaketheDust.org。
PM: "Shake the Dust." (NA: "Shake the Dust.") PM: 网站名字的英文意思是“掸去灰尘”。(NA: “掸去灰尘”。)
PM: ShaketheDust.org. PM: ShaketheDust.org。
And it definitely does give a different image of Yemen. 它确实展示了一个不一样的也门形象。
definitely:adv.清楚地,当然;明确地,肯定地;
You spoke about the responsibility of the press. 之前你提到了媒体的责任。
And certainly, when we look at the ways in which we have separated ourselves from others and we've created fear and danger, often from lack of knowledge, lack of real understanding, how do you see the way that the Western press in particular 诚然,我们看到 我们把自己和其他人分隔开, 我们制造恐惧 和危险, 往往因为缺乏信息, 缺乏真正的了解, 那你是怎么看待 西方媒体在报道这件事上
is covering this and all other stories out of the region , but in particular, in your country? 以及所有其他发生在这个地区的事情的方式, 特别是发生在你的国家的事?
region:n.地区;范围;部位;
NA: Well there is a saying that says, "You fear what you don't know, and you hate what you fear." NA: 有句谚语说: “未知带来恐惧, 恐惧带来厌恨。”
So it's about the lack of research, basically . 这基本上说的就是缺乏考证。
basically:adv.主要地,基本上;
It's almost, "Do your homework," -- some involvement . 基本上是,“要做功课。”—— 要投入进去。
involvement:n.牵连;包含;混乱;财政困难;
And you cannot do parachute reporting -- just jump into a country for two days and think that you've done your homework and a story. 你不能只做跳伞报道—— 空投到一个国家,呆上两天, 就以为你的功课做好了,你的报道写成了。
parachute:n.降落伞;vi.跳伞;空投;
So I wish that the world would know my Yemen, my country, my people. 所以我希望 世界可以了解我的也门, 我的国家,我的人民。
I am an example, and there are others like me. 我就是个例子,还有其他像我一样的人。
We may not be that many, but if we are promoted as a good, positive example, there will be others -- men and women -- who can eventually bridge the gap -- again, coming to the bridge -- between Yemen and the world and telling first about recognition and then about communication and compassion . 我们这样的人也许不是很多, 但如果我们作为好的、积极的例子 被倡导, 就会有其他人——既有男人也有女人—— 最终成为连接—— 我又要说到桥了—— 也门和世界之间的桥梁。 首先是 关于承认, 然后是关于沟通 和同情。
promoted:v.促进:促销:提升:(promote的过去分词和过去式) positive:adj.积极的;[数]正的,[医][化学]阳性的;确定的;n.正数;[摄]正片; eventually:adv.最后,终于; gap:n.差距;间隙;缺口;间隔;v.使豁裂;豁开; recognition:n.识别;认识;承认;认可; compassion:n.同情;怜悯;
I think Yemen is going to be in a very bad situation in the next two or three years. 我认为, 未来的两、三年, 也门将处境十分艰难。
It's natural. 这是很正常的。
But after the two years, which is a price we are willing to pay, we are going to stand up again on our feet, but in the new Yemen with a younger and more empowered people -- democratic . 这是我们愿意付出的代价。但是两年之后, 我们将重新站起, 站立于一个新的也门, 一个充满了活泼有力的年轻人的也门, 一个民主的也门。
democratic:adj.民主的;民主政治的;大众的;
(Applause) (掌声)
PM: Nadia, I think you've just given us a very different view of Yemen. PM: Nadia,我觉得你刚才给了我们 关于也门非常不同的看法。
And certainly you yourself and what you do have given us a view of the future that we will embrace and be grateful for. 毫无疑问,你自己和你的事业 带给了我们对未来的展望。 我们对这样的未来充满期待, 和感激。
embrace:n.拥抱,怀抱;v.拥抱;乐意采纳(思想、建议等);信奉;包括;
And the very best of luck to you. 祝你好运。
YemenTimes.com. YemenTimes.com。
NA: On Twitter also. NA: 《也门时报》还使用推特。
PM: So you are plugged in. PM: 你和外界连接畅通。
plugged:v.堵塞;封堵;补充;供给;推广;(plug的过去分词和过去式)
(Applause) (掌声)