|
|
MyshkinIngawale_2012U-_不见血的血液测试_
|
I like to build stuff . |
我喜欢建造东西 |
stuff:n.东西:物品:基本特征:v.填满:装满:标本:
|
I've always liked to build stuff. |
我一直以来就很喜欢 |
My team at Biosense, a startup I co-founded with my doctor and engineer friends, has built a technology called ToucHB, which can do blood testing of hemoglobin without pricks , without needles . |
我在Biosense的团队—— 这是一家我和我的医生以及工程师朋友共同创建的公司—— 造出了一项叫做ToucHB的新技术 它可以帮助检验血液中的血红素 不用刺也不用针 |
technology:n.技术;工艺;术语; hemoglobin:n.[生化]血红蛋白(等于haemoglobin);血红素; pricks:vt.刺,戳; n.刺,扎; vi.刺; adj.竖起的; needles:n.针数,千针本;[印刷]折页顶针(needle复数形式);
|
I believe this is going to democratize health care . |
我相信 这将能民主化我们的医疗保障体系 |
democratize:vt.使民主化;使大众化;vi.民主化;大众化; health care:n.卫生保健;
|
They're two big words, I don't know what they mean. |
这说法听着牛吧,其实我也不知道是啥意思 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
In fact, in 2009, I was even more clueless . |
事实上,在2009年的时候,比现在还懵呢 |
clueless:adj.无线索的;愚蠢的;
|
I had absolutely no idea what was going to happen next. |
我完全不知道 下一步将会发生什么 |
absolutely:adv.绝对地;完全地;
|
I was, in fact, busy trying to finish off my Ph.D., which was in a completely unrelated area of how people interact , contributors interact , how articles are formed in Wikipedia -- trying to figure out how quality emerges from the system. |
我当时其实正在努力想把博士学位给拿下 我当时的研究跟血液检测完全不搭界 我研究维基百科上的贡献者如何相互影响 以及那些条目怎样形成—— 研究这样一个体系怎样孕育出高质量产品 |
unrelated:adj.无关的,不相干的; interact:v.互相影响;互相作用;n.幕间剧;幕间休息; contributors:n.贡献者;参与者;编著者(contributor的复数形式); Wikipedia:维基百科; emerges:vi.浮现;摆脱;暴露;
|
I was also building something called the Copenhagen Wheel , which is just a really beautiful, beautiful electric bike at a lab at MIT called SENSEable City Lab. |
我当时还在造一个叫做 “哥本哈根轮”的东西 我在麻省理工学院的一个叫做“可感的城市”的实验室 造出了这个美丽的电动自行车 |
Copenhagen:n.哥本哈根(丹麦首都); Wheel:车轮,转动 electric:n.供电;adj.电的;用电的;电动的;发电的;
|
I was lucky enough that I visited Mumbai, my house, back for a vacation. |
我非常庆幸我在当时的一个假期 回去了我老家孟买一趟 |
So at that time |
那时候我正在计划 |
I was planning a road trip. |
一次公路旅行 |
I visited a place called Parol about two hours north of Mumbai. |
我到了一个在孟买北边两小时车程 叫做帕洛尔的城市 |
Parol:adj.口头的;没有签章的;n.口头言词;口头答辩;石蜡燃料;
|
This is a place where my friend, Abhishek Sen was interning . |
我朋友阿布希谢克当时正在这里实习 |
interning:v.拘留,禁闭,关押;(intern的现在分词)
|
He's a doctor there. |
他是一个医生 |
And that's his actual photograph. |
这是他真人的照片 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
So Abhishek actually made me wait. |
我当时等了阿布希谢克好一会儿 |
He was out there in Parol delivering a baby. |
因为他当时正在帕洛尔的某个地方接生 |
I was waiting, and when he did emerge, he was ashen-faced . |
我就那么等着 当他终于出现的时候 我发现他脸色苍白 |
ashen-faced:脸色苍白的;
|
He told me that there had been two deaths; the mother and child both had died. |
他告诉我刚才搭上了两条人命 母亲和孩子都死了 |
The reason, he told me, was something called post partum hemorrhage . |
原因就是——他告诉我说—— 一种叫做产后出血的情况 |
hemorrhage:n.[病理]出血(等于haemorrhage);番茄汁;vt.[病理]出血;vi.[病理]出血;
|
He explained this meant severe internal bleeding . |
他说这其实就是严重的内出血 |
severe:adj.极为恶劣的;十分严重的;严厉的;苛刻的; internal:n.内脏;本质;adj.内部的;里面的;体内的;(机构)内部的; bleeding:n.出血;渗色;adj.流血的;同情的;v.出血;渗出;(bleed的现在分词)
|
What was really shocking for me was that he said that this is entirely due to undiagnosed anemia . |
让我真正感到震惊的是 他所提到的这个情况完全是由 未诊断出的贫血症造成的 |
undiagnosed:adj.[临床]未确诊的;尚未找出原因的; anemia:n.贫血;贫血症;
|
Now anemia -- I'm an engineer, but even I knew -- that anemia is something which is not supposed to be fatal . |
贫血症现今——就是个工程师我也知道—— 完全不应该是一个致命疾病 |
supposed:adj.误信的;所谓的;v.认为;假设;设想;(suppose的过去分词和过去式) fatal:adj.致命的;灾难性的;毁灭性的;导致失败的;
|
It is something which probably the cure is known. |
它是众所周知地可治愈的 |
I mean, folic acid , iron tablets -- very cheap, affordable cures exist to control anemia. |
比如说像叶酸或者右旋糖酐铁片—— 这些便宜的治愈手段完全可以 控制贫血症 |
folic acid:n.叶酸(见于绿色蔬菜、肝、肾的一种维生素,用于造红血球); tablets:n.药片;片剂;(固定于墙上作纪念的)牌,碑,匾;(tablet的第三人称单数和复数) affordable:adj.负担得起的;
|
So why was this woman dying? |
那么为什么这个女人会死呢? |
It was completely preventable . |
这是完全可以阻止的啊 |
preventable:adj.可预防的;可阻止的;可防止的;
|
Five minutes away from there, |
就在离那里五分钟车程的地方 |
I had the center, the medical center, which was distributing subsidized iron tablets. |
就有一个医药中心 发放着右旋糖酐铁片救济品 |
distributing:v.分发;分配;分销;使散开;使分布;分散;(distribute的现在分词) subsidized:adj.补贴的,补助的;v.资助或补助(subsidize的过去时和过去分词);
|
So the whole nature of this thing completely shocked me. |
这件事从根本上彻底震惊了我 |
And I knew that there had to be a way to prevent this. |
我觉得肯定有办法能阻止惨剧的再次发生 |
My mom is a pediatrician , and I asked her. |
我妈妈是个儿科医师 |
pediatrician:n.儿科医师(等于pediatrist);
|
She told me that this is how you would typically test for anemia. |
她告诉我说一般我们这么检测贫血症: |
typically:adv.代表性地;作为特色地;
|
Take a blood sample and run it through a machine called a Coulter counter. |
先采集血样 再把血样用一个“犁刀”检测仪进行检测 |
Coulter:n.犁刀;
|
This is a $10,000 machine which was available in Mumbai. |
这台价值1万美元的机器只在孟买有 |
It's also available here or in any part, I guess, in Europe and most cities in the world. |
我猜在这里和欧洲的大部分地区 应该也有这玩意儿 |
But this is not available in Parol. |
不过帕洛尔没有这个仪器 |
Also, that woman who was operating the machine, the technician , is not available in Parol. |
而且操作这玩意儿的大姐,我是说技术员 帕洛尔也没有 |
technician:n.技术员;技师;(艺术、体育等的)技巧精湛者;
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
Now this struck me as -- |
这真的震到我了—— |
I love to fix things. I wanted to fix this. |
我喜欢搞定各种问题。我想把这事儿给搞定 |
I got a friend of mine, an engineer, and three other doctors -- |
我的一个工程师朋友,和三个医生 |
Abhishek joined the team -- and we wanted to solve this problem. |
阿布希谢克也加入了这个团队—— 他也希望解决这个难题 |
By the time I step down from here there will be 10 people who have lost their lives through a completely, completely preventable problem. |
从现在到我讲完 又会有十个人因为这件完全可以预防的疾病 而丢失了他们的生命 |
Now let me take you back to Parol. |
现在让我们回到帕洛尔 |
You saw the woman there, the nurse. |
你们看到这里这个女人了吧,她是个护士 |
In India this is called an ASHA worker. |
在印度他们叫做ASHA工作者 |
It's essentially a village health worker, a matron . |
每个村庄都需要这么一位医务工作者,保姆 |
essentially:adv.本质上;本来; matron:n.主妇;保姆;妇女;女舍监;
|
She is really the center of the health care system. |
她就是医疗保障系统的中心 |
Public health care runs on the ASHA worker, not the doctor. |
公共医疗保障就是靠ASHA工作者建立的 而不是靠医生 |
Now we knew we had to design something which she could use. |
我们知道我们要设计出一个 她能用的东西 |
We knew it had to be these three things that the machine had to have. |
我们知道这东西必须具备这三项功能 |
We knew it had to be something which had no needles, no pricking , so it would have adoption , it would not have medical waste, all those problems. |
我们知道这玩意儿得要 没有针或刺 那么它就会被采用,不会产生医疗垃圾 以及诸如此类相关的问题 |
pricking:n.刺;刺痛感;v.刺痛(prick的现在分词); adoption:n.采用;收养;接受;
|
It had to be simple enough for that woman ASHA worker to use. |
足够简单易用,使ASHA工作者能够操作 |
And thirdly, it had to be something which she could carry in her kit . |
第三是便携,这个护士能把它放在工具包里 |
kit:v.装备;n.成套工具;配套元件;成套设备;全套衣服及装备;
|
She goes village to village doing screenings . |
因为她会奔波于好几个村落之间进行检测 |
screenings:n.筛后残余的物;[建]筛屑;残渣;
|
We thought we could build it, so we built it. |
我们觉得我们应该能造出来这东西 然后我们就造出来了 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
But, but it didn't work. |
不过,它不好使 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
So we built it again. |
然后我们就又造了一次 |
And we did this 32 times. |
我们一共造了32次 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
But I'm very excited to tell you that last year we did build it -- it works. |
不过我非常兴奋地告诉你 去年 我们终于造出来了——而且很好用 |
And I have it here in my purse . |
我就在钱包里装着呢 |
purse:n.钱包;资金;财源;备用款;v.噘嘴;
|
So this is a machine called the ToucHB Quik. |
这个小仪器 叫做ToucHB Quik |
What it does is it measures my hemoglobin, oxygen and pulse rate. |
它所做的是 检验我血液中的血红素,氧气含量和脉搏。 |
pulse:n.脉冲;脉搏;脉率;强劲的音乐节拍;v.搏动;跳动;震动;洋溢着;
|
I put it on my finger, switch it on, and in about 20 seconds it'll give me, on the little screen here, a value of hemoglobin, oxygen saturation and heart rate. |
我把它套在指头上,开机 等个大概20秒 它就会在这个小屏幕上显示出 我的血红素水平 氧饱和度和心率 |
saturation:n.饱和;色饱和度;浸透;磁化饱和;
|
This will help ASHA workers diagnose anemia at the point of care. |
这将会帮助ASHA工作者 实地诊断贫血症 |
at the point of:靠近;正要;
|
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
I'll explain a little bit about how it works. |
让我来再给你们解释一下它的工作原理 |
You might have seen a little light inside of it. |
你可能已经看见里面这个小灯了 |
In fact, there are three lights in there, three wavelengths of light. |
事实上这里有三个小灯,三种不同波长的光 |
wavelengths:n.[物]波长(wavelength的复数);
|
And we essentially pass light right through the tissue , and from understanding how much of it is transmitted , how much of it is scattered and how much of it is absorbed , we can figure out how much hemoglobin is there in the blood. |
我们实际上让这些光 穿过我们的身体组织 然后基于这些光的通过量 散射程度以及被吸收的量 我们就可以得出 血液中的血红素含量 |
tissue:n.纸巾,手巾纸;(人、动植物细胞的)组织; transmitted:v.传送;输送;发射;播送;传播;传染;(transmit的过去分词和过去式) scattered:adj.零散的; v.撒; (scatter的过去分词和过去式) absorbed:adj.被…吸引住; v.吸收(液体、气体等); (absorb的过去分词和过去式)
|
And this is something which is based on a principle called photoplethysmography. |
这项成果是基于一个叫做 光电容积描计的技术所达成的 |
principle:n.原理,原则;主义,道义;本质,本义;根源,源泉;
|
We are actually really very excited about what else non-invasive techniques like this will be able to crack in the future. |
其实我们对于其他的像这个一样的 人体无损伤技术在未来的应用与发展 也非常感兴趣 |
non-invasive:adj.非侵入性的;非入侵的; techniques:n.技巧;技艺;工艺;技术;(technique的复数) crack:v.使破裂;打开;变声;n.裂缝;声变;噼啪声;adj.最好的;高明的;
|
One of the things which my intern here, Pratesh, built is a mobile application , which can now send all this data anywhere it wants to go. |
这些技术相关成果的其中之一就是由我的一位实习生,普拉特什,所做出的 手机应用 它能随时随地传递这些数据 |
mobile:n.手机;汽车;移动电话;adj.活跃的;可动的; application:n.应用;申请;应用程序;敷用;
|
There's a bunch of very exciting stuff which we are doing. |
我们还在做许多有趣的玩意儿 |
a bunch of:一群;一束;一堆;
|
I would love to tell you a little bit more about it. |
我非常乐意多跟你们谈谈这些 |
But fundamentally , what I believe is that the map behind of me is called basically the map of anemia. |
不过根本来说 我身后的这个地图 它叫做贫血症分布图 |
fundamentally:adv.从根本上;基础地;重要地 basically:adv.主要地,基本上;
|
It's the death rates caused by anemia globally. |
就是世界范围内由贫血症所导致的死亡率 |
You'll notice, of course, that there are hot spots -- |
你无疑会注意到 这些高死亡率点—— |
South Asia, Africa. |
比如亚洲和非洲 |
My business plan is very simple. |
我的商业计划很简单 |
I'm just going to sell these to every clinic in the world. |
我要把这些仪器卖给世界上的每一个诊所 |
clinic:n.诊所;临床实习;(医院的)门诊部;门诊时间;
|
That's a simple bottom-line business plan. |
这当然是我计划的最低标准 |
bottom-line:n.底线;归根结底;账本底线,盈亏一览结算线;
|
And by the time I'm done, in 2020, when the WHO publishes the data again, this is going to be the map of anemia. |
当我在2020年达成这个目标的时候 当世界卫生组织再次发布这些数据的时候 这张地图就会成为新的贫血症分布图了 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
Thank you. |
谢谢大家 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |