返回首页

MyriamSidibe_2014S-_简单的洗手创造强大的力量_

So imagine that a plane is about to crash with 250 children and babies, and if you knew how to stop that, would you? 让我们想象一下,一架飞机将要坠毁, 上面有250个孩童和婴儿, 如果你知道该怎么去阻止这件事发生,你会去做吗?
is about to:眼看就要;即将;正要;行将;
Now imagine that 60 planes full of babies under five crash every single day. 再想象一下, 60架飞机上满是年龄五岁以下的孩童, 而这60架飞机每天坠毁一次,
That's the number of kids that never make it to their fifth birthday. 那些孩子们, 都是从来没有过过五岁生日的孩子。
6.6 million children never make it to their fifth birthday. 660万个孩子啊, 他们都从没有经历过自己第五个生日。
Most of these deaths are preventable , and that doesn't just make me sad, it makes me angry, and it makes me determined . 大部分这样的死亡都是可以避免的, 这不仅仅使我感到伤心, 更加使我愤怒, 并且使我下定决心要做些什么
preventable:adj.可预防的;可阻止的;可防止的; determined:adj.决定了的:v.决定;(determine的过去分词和过去式)
Diarrhea and pneumonia are among the top two killers of children under five, and what we can do to prevent these diseases isn't some smart, new technological innovations . 痢疾(腹泻)和急性肺炎 正是杀害不满五岁孩童的 罪魁祸首 而我们为了预防这些疾病所能做的 并不是某些先进 新颖的科技发明。
Diarrhea:n.腹泻,痢疾; pneumonia:n.肺炎; diseases:n.[医]病(disease的复数);[医]疾病;[植保]病害;疾病种类; technological:adj.技术[工程](上)的;因工艺技术高度发展而引起的; innovations:n.创新(innovation的复数);改革;
It's one of the world's oldest inventions: a bar of soap. 这其实是世界上最古老的一种发明之一: 一块肥皂。
Washing hands with soap, a habit we all take for granted , can reduce diarrhea by half, can reduce respiratory infections by one third. 用肥皂洗手, 一个我们都认为理所当然的习惯, 可以减少一半的痢疾 以及减少三分之一的呼吸传染。
take for granted:认为…理所当然; respiratory:adj.呼吸的; infections:n.传染病;口腔病害(infection复数形式);
Handwashing with soap can have an impact on reducing flu, trachoma , SARS, and most recently in the case of cholera and Ebola outbreak , one of the key interventions is handwashing with soap. 用肥皂洗手 可以减少 流感,颗粒性结膜炎(沙眼),SARS(非典) 还有近年来的霍乱 埃博拉病毒的爆发, 最重要的预防措施之一就是 用肥皂洗手。
Handwashing:洗手(handwash的现在分词); impact:n.影响;效果;碰撞;冲击力;v.挤入,压紧;撞击;对…产生影响; trachoma:n.颗粒性结膜炎,[眼科]沙眼; recently:adv.最近;新近; cholera:n.[内科]霍乱; Ebola:n.埃博拉病毒; outbreak:n.(战争的)爆发;(疾病的)发作;vi.爆发; interventions:n.[法]干预,干涉;处置(intervention的复数);
Handwashing with soap keeps kids in school. 用肥皂洗手可以使孩子们健康的在学校读书。
It stops babies from dying. 并且让婴儿不再早夭。
Handwashing with soap is one of the most cost-effective ways of saving children's lives. 用肥皂洗手 是最经济的方法之一 来拯救孩子们的生命。
cost-effective:adj.划算的;成本效益好的(等于cost-efficient);
It can save over 600,000 children every year. 它每年可以拯救超过60万个生命。
That's the equivalent of stopping 10 jumbo jets full of babies and children from crashing every single day. 这相当于阻止 10架满载着 婴儿和小孩的客机 每天阻止它们坠毁。
equivalent:adj.等价的,相等的;同意义的;n.等价物,相等物; jumbo:adj.巨大的;特大的;n.庞然大物;巨型喷气式飞机;体大而笨拙的人或物;
I think you'll agree with me that that's a pretty useful public health intervention. 我相信你们会和我一样 觉得这是一个非常有用的公共健康预防措施。
So now just take a minute. 所以现在花一分钟的时间,
I think you need to get to know the person next to you. 请你们和邻座的人相互认识一下。
Why don't you just shake their hands. 你们为什么不握手呢?
Please shake their hands. 请握住对方的手。
All right, get to know each other. 好,现在互相认识一下。
They look really pretty. 他(她)看起来真漂亮,对吧。
All right. 那么好
So what if I told you that the person whose hands you just shook actually didn't wash their hands when they were coming out of the toilet? (Laughter) 如果现在我告诉你 你刚刚握手的那个人 在他们走出洗手间的时候 实际上并没有洗手......(笑)
what if:如果…怎么办?
They don't look so pretty anymore, right? 现在他们看起来没有那么漂亮了,是吧?
Pretty yucky , you would agree with me. 非常恶心,你们和我想的一样。
yucky:adj.讨厌的;令人生厌的;令人厌恶的
Well, statistics are actually showing that four people out of five don't wash their hands when they come out of the toilet, globally. 统计数据显示 世界上 五个人中有四个人 在用完洗手间之后都不洗手
statistics:n.统计数字;统计资料;统计学;(statistic的复数)
And the same way, we don't do it when we've got fancy toilets, running water, and soap available, it's the same thing in the countries where child mortality is really high. 并且同样的, 在我们进入有自来水,有肥皂提供的 豪华洗手间时也不洗手。 并且在乡村也是这样, 那里孩子的死亡率非常高。
fancy:n.幻想; adj.想象的; v.想象; mortality:n.死亡数,死亡率;必死性,必死的命运;
What is it? Is there no soap? 这是为什么?没有肥皂吗?
Actually, soap is available. 实际上,有肥皂。
In 90 percent of households in India, 94 percent of households in Kenya, you will find soap. 在印度百分之九十家庭, 在肯尼亚百分之九十四的家庭, 都有肥皂。
households:n.家庭;拆迁户;家户(household的复数);
Even in countries where soap is the lowest, like Ethiopia , we are at 50 percent. 甚至在肥皂拥有率最低的乡村, 像埃塞俄比亚,都有百分之五十。
Ethiopia:n.埃塞俄比亚;
So why is it? 那么为什么会这样呢?
Why aren't people washing their hands? 人们为什么都不洗手了?
Why is it that Mayank, this young boy that I met in India, isn't washing his hands? 马扬克 我在印度认识的一个男孩 为什么他不洗手呢?
Well, in Mayank's family, soap is used for bathing , soap is used for laundry , soap is used for washing dishes. 在马扬克的家中, 肥皂用来洗澡, 用来洗衣服, 用来洗碗。
bathing:n.游泳,畅游;v.给…洗澡;洗澡;(bath的现在分词) laundry:n.洗衣店,洗衣房;要洗的衣服;洗熨;洗好的衣服;
His parents think sometimes it's a precious commodity , so they'll keep it in a cupboard . 有时他的父母认为 肥皂是一个珍贵的日用品, 所以他们会把肥皂放在碗柜里。
precious:adj.宝贵的;珍贵的;矫揉造作的; commodity:n.商品,货物;日用品; cupboard:n.橱柜;密室;
They'll keep it away from him so he doesn't waste it. 不让马扬克碰肥仔以免他浪费了肥皂。
On average, in Mayank's family, they will use soap for washing hands once a day at the very best, and sometimes even once a week for washing hands with soap. 通常来说,在马扬克的家里, 他们会用肥皂洗手 一天一次 这样算好的,有时甚至 一个星期才用肥皂洗一次手。
What's the result of that? 那么这样的后果是什么?
Children pick up disease in the place that's supposed to love them and protect them the most, in their homes. 孩子们在家里会染上疾病 在这个本该最给他们关爱 最能保护他们的地方。
supposed:adj.误信的;所谓的;v.认为;假设;设想;(suppose的过去分词和过去式)
Think about where you learned to wash your hands. 回想一下你是在哪里学会洗手的,
Did you learn to wash your hands at home? 你是在家学会的吗
Did you learn to wash your hands in school? 你是在学校学会的洗手的吗?
I think behavioral scientists will tell you that it's very difficult to change the habits that you have had early in life. 行为学家会告诉你: 想要改掉一个 在你小时候养成的习惯很难。
behavioral:adj.行为的;
However, we all copy what everyone else does, and local cultural norms are something that shape how we change our behavior, and this is where the private sector comes in. 但是,我们总会跟着大流改变, 并且当地的文化也会 对我们习惯的形成产生影响, 下面我们就讲到肥皂的销售。
cultural:adj.与文化有关的;文化的;与艺术、文学、音乐等有关的; norms:n.[标准]标准,规范;基准(norm复数形式); private sector:n.(国家经济的)私营部分;
Every second in Asia and Africa, 111 mothers will buy this bar to protect their family. 在亚洲和非洲 几乎每秒都有111位母亲 会购买肥皂来保护她们的家人。
Many women in India will tell you they learned all about hygiene , diseases, from this bar of soap from Lifebuoy brand . 许多印度的妈妈会告诉你 她们从Lifebuoy的肥皂中(联合利华肥皂品牌) 了解了卫生学,和疾病学
hygiene:n.卫生;卫生学;保健法; Lifebuoy:n.救生圈; brand:v.铭刻于,铭记;打烙印于;印…商标于;n.商标,牌子;烙印;
Iconic brands like this one have a responsibility to do good in the places where they sell their products. 像这样的标志性品牌 有责任 把他们售卖的产品做好
Iconic:adj.图标的,形象的; brands:n.品牌;烙印(brand的复数);v.加商标于;铭刻于(brand的第三人称单数);
It's that belief, plus the scale of Unilever, that allows us to keep talking about handwashing with soap and hygiene to these mothers. 正是这样的信任,还有联合利华的规模 使我们和这些妈妈们讨论 用肥皂洗手和卫生。
scale:n.规模;比例;鳞;刻度;天平;数值范围;v.衡量;攀登;剥落;生水垢;
Big businesses and brands can change and shift those social norms and make a difference for those habits that are so stubborn . 大公司和大品牌可以改变 一些社会习俗 并且使一些习惯发生改变 这些习惯实在是太难改变了。
shift:n.移动;变化;手段;轮班;v.移动;转变;转换; make a difference:有影响,有关系; stubborn:adj.顽固的;顽强的;难处理的;
Think about it: 想一想:
Marketeers spend all their time making us switch from one brand to the other. 商人们一直想尽办法 让我们从一个品牌换到另一个品牌。
Marketeers:n.市场商人;
And actually, they know how to transform science and facts into compelling messages. 并且事实上,他们知道如何将科技 转换成激发人们兴趣的信息。
transform:v.使改变;使改观;使转换;n.[数]变换式;[化]反式; compelling:adj.引人入胜的; v.强迫; (compel的现在分词)
Just for a minute , imagine when they put all their forces behind a message as powerful as handwashing with soap. 用一分钟的时间想象一下, 商人们用尽全力地传递 一个有力地信息:用肥皂洗手。
for a minute:一会儿;
The profit motive is transforming health outcomes in this world. 这样做的动机就是 改善这个世界的卫生与健康。
profit:n.利润;利益;v.获利;有益; motive:n.动机; adj.发动的; v.同"motivate"; transforming:v.使改变形态;使改变外观(或性质);使改观;(transform的现在分词) outcomes:n.结果;成果;后果;出路;(outcome的复数)
But it's been happening for centuries: the Lifebuoy brand was launched in 1894 in Victorian England to actually combat cholera. 但是商家们这么做已经有几个世纪了: Lifebuoy这个品牌1894年建立, 在维多利亚女王时代的英国, 当时是为了抵抗霍乱。
launched:v.发射;发起;开展;开始;(launch的过去式和过去分词) combat:v.战斗;防止;减轻;与…搏斗;n.战斗;搏斗;打仗;
Last week, I was in Ghana with the minister of health, because if you don't know, there's a cholera outbreak in Ghana at the moment. 上个星期,我在加纳(非洲西部国家), 和卫生部长在一起, 因为在当时,你们可能不知道, 那里霍乱正在爆发。
minister:n.部长;大臣;牧师;vi.执行牧师职务;辅助或伺候某人;
A hundred and eighteen years later, the solution is exactly the same: 118年之后, 解决方案仍旧是一样的:
solution:n.解决方案;溶液;溶解;解答;
It's about ensuring that they have access to this bar of soap, and that they're using it, because that's the number one way to actually stop cholera from spreading. 就是确保人人都能用到 肥皂, 并且人们确实在使用它, 因为这是预防霍乱传播的 首要方法。
ensuring:v.保证;确保;担保(ensure的现在分词);
I think this drive for profit is extremely powerful, sometimes more powerful than the most committed charity or government. 我想这个利益驱动所带来的好处 是非常可观的, 有时甚至超过了 那些承担着最多任务的慈善机构和政府。
extremely:adv.非常,极其;极端地; committed:adj.坚信的; v.做出错事; (commit的过去分词和过去式) charity:n.慈善;施舍;慈善团体;宽容;施舍物;
Government is doing what they can, especially in terms of the pandemics and epidemics such as cholera, or Ebola at the moment, but with competing priorities . 政府也在尽全力做他们能做的事, 尤其是发生全球流行病的时候 比如霍乱, 或者现在正在肆虐的埃博拉, 政府更有竞争力
especially:adv.尤其;特别;格外;十分; pandemics:大流行;流行病; epidemics:n.流行病;蔓延(epidemic的复数);时疫; competing:adj.相互冲突的;相互矛盾的;v.竞争;对抗;参加比赛;(compete的现在分词) priorities:n.优先事项;优先权;重点;(priority的复数)
The budget is not always there. 但是预算并不是那么简单。
budget:n.预算,预算费;v.安排,预定;把…编入预算;adj.廉价的;
And when you think about this, you think about what is required to make handwashing a daily habit, it requires sustained funding to refine this behavior. 我们想一下 能够使每天洗手成为一个习惯 所需要的经费 它需要持久地提供资金 来巩固这种有益的行为。
sustained:adj.持续的; v.维持; (sustain的过去分词和过去式) funding:n.基金;资金;提供资金;v.为…提供资金;拨款给;(fund的现在分词) refine:v.精炼;改进;改善;提纯;
In short, those that fight for public health are actually dependent upon the soap companies to keep promoting handwashing with soap. 总之,那些旨在改善公共卫生的组织 实际上是依赖于肥皂商家 才能推广用肥皂洗手的。
dependent upon:取决于; promoting:v.促进;推动;促销;提升;晋升;(promote的现在分词)
We have friends like USAID, the Global Public-Private Partnership for Handwashing with Soap, 我们有USAID(美国国际开发总署), 是世界性的公私合作模式
Global:adj.全球的;总体的;球形的; Partnership:n.合伙;[经管]合伙企业;合作关系;合伙契约;
London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, 还有伦敦卫生和热带医药学院,
Tropical:adj.热带的;热情的;酷热的;
Plan, WaterAid, that all believe for a win-win-win partnership. 还有Plan, WaterAid(旨在给贫穷地区人们用水的世界性组织), 都坚信着 三赢的合作关系。
Win for the public sector , because we help them reach their targets. 公共部门能得到好处, 因为我们帮助他们完成了他们的目标。
public sector:n.公营部门;公共部门;
Win for the private sector, because we build new generations of future handwashers. 私人个体也能得到好处, 因为我们使一代又一代的人 形成了洗手的习惯
And most importantly , win for the most vulnerable . 而且最重要的是 弱势群体也收到了保护。
And most importantly:最主要的是…; vulnerable:adj.易受攻击的,易受…的攻击;易受伤害的;有弱点的;
On October 15, we will celebrate Global Handwashing Day. 每年十月十五号, 我们会庆祝全球洗手日。
Schools, communities , our friends in the public sector and our friends in the private sector — yes, on that day even our competitors, we all join hands to celebrate the world's most important public health intervention. 学校,社会团体, 还有我们公共部门的朋友们 还有私人个体企业的朋友们 是的,在那天,甚至是我们的竞争者, 也会加入我们一起庆祝 这个世界上最重要的 公共健康的节日。
communities:n.社区;社会;团体;共有(community的复数)
What's required, and again where the private sector can make a huge difference, is coming up with this big, creative thinking that drives advocacy . 我们所需要的, 还有私人企业可以从中获得利益的地方 都会随着这个远大并且具有创造性的想法而来 并且这样的创意会带来大面积的宣传。
creative:adj.创造性的; advocacy:n.主张;拥护;辩护;
If you take our Help a Child Reach 5 campaign, we've created great films that bring the message of handwashing with soap to the everyday person in a way that can relate to them. 如果你加入了我们“帮助一个孩子”的活动, 我们制作了很棒的宣传片 片子里面将用肥皂洗手的重要性 用与人们相关的方式 传递给了每一个人。
We've had over 30 million views. 我们有超过三千万的浏览量。
Most of these discussions are still happening online. 甚至很多人到现在依然在网络上讨论这个电影。
I urge you to take five minutes and look at those films. 我希望大家用五分钟 去看一下这些电影。
I come from Mali, one of the world's poorest countries. 我来自马里(西非国家), 世界上最贫穷的国家之一。
I grew up in a family where every dinner conversation was around social justice . 在我的家庭中,每天晚餐家人都在讨论 社会正义。
justice:n.公平;公正;司法制度;审判;
I trained in Europe's premier school of public health. 我在欧洲公共卫生一流的学校里完成我的学业。
premier:adj.第一的;最初的;n.总理,首相;
I think I'm probably one of the only women in my country with this high degree in health, and the only one with a doctorate in handwashing with soap. 我想我可能是我们的国家中 唯一一个在卫生学上有这么高学历的女性, 并且是唯一一个 拥有“用肥皂洗手博士”头衔的人。
doctorate:n.博士学位;博士头衔;
(Laughter) (笑声)
(Applause) (掌声)
Nine years ago, I decided, with a successful public health career in the making, that I could make the biggest impact coming, selling and promoting the world's best invention in public health: soap. 九年前, 当我的公共卫生事业发展的很好的时候, 我下定决心要做一个具有很大影响力的事情, 销售并且推广这个世界上在公共卫生领域 最好的发明:肥皂。
career:n.职业;事业;生涯;经历;
We run today the world's largest handwashing program by any public health standards . 我们经营着世界上最大的 洗手项目 按照任何公共卫生的标准。
standards:n.标准,水平,规格(standard的复数)
We've reached over 183 million people in 16 countries. 我们影响了16个国家的 超过一亿八千三百万人。
My team and I have the ambition to reach one billion by 2020. 我的团队和我有在2020年 影响10亿人的雄心壮志。
ambition:n.追求的目标;野心;志向;抱负;
Over the last four years, business has grown double digits, whilst child mortality has reduced in all the places where soap use has increased. 在过去的四年里, 商业以双位数水平增长, 同时孩子们的死亡率也在减少 这样的情况发生在所有肥皂使用增加的地方。
whilst:conj.同时;时时,有时;当…的时候;
It may be uncomfortable for some to hear — business growth and lives saved somehow equated in the same sentence — but it is that business growth that allows us to keep doing more. 有些人可能会认为我这么说不对—— “经济增长意味着 拯救了很多生命” ----正是经济增长 使我们能做得更多
somehow:adv.以某种方法;莫名其妙地; equated:vt.使相等;视为平等;vi.等同;
Without it, and without talking about it, we cannot achieve the change that we need. 如果不谈经济,没有商业, 我们不能获得我们所需要的改变。
Last week, my team and I spent time visiting mothers that have all experienced the same thing: the death of a newborn . 上个星期,我们团队 去拜访了一些母亲 她们都经历了一件相同的事情: 新生婴儿的夭折。
newborn:adj.新生的;再生的;n.婴儿;
I'm a mom. I can't imagine anything more powerful and more painful . 我是一个母亲 我不能想象有什么能比这更震撼更痛苦。
painful:adj.痛苦的;疼痛的;令人不快的;
This one is from Myanmar . 有一位来自缅甸的母亲。
Myanmar:n.缅甸(东南亚国家);
She had the most beautiful smile, the smile, I think, that life gives you when you've had a second chance. 她在生活给了她第二次机会的时候 绽放出了 最美丽的笑容。
Her son, Myo, is her second one. 他的儿子,妙(人名),是她的第二个孩子。
She had a daughter who passed away at three weeks, and we know that the majority of children that actually die die in the first month of their life, and we know that if we give a bar of soap to every skilled birth attendant , 她曾有过一个女儿 在她只有三个星期大的时候去世了, 我们都知道 孩子们最容易 在他们刚出生的一个月内死亡, 如果我们给那些有经验的 护理人员们一块肥皂,
majority:n.大部分:大多数:多数票:成年人: skilled:adj.熟练的;有技能的;需要技能的; attendant:adj.伴随的;侍候的;n.服务员,侍者;随员,陪从;
and that if soap is used before touching the babies, we can reduce and make a change in terms of those numbers. 并且让他们在触碰婴儿前使用肥皂的话, 我们就可以减少 新生儿的死亡数
And that's what inspires me, inspires me to continue in this mission , to know that I can equip her with what's needed so that she can do the most beautiful job in the world: nurturing her newborn. 正是这样的事激励着我, 鞭策着我继续完成这个任务, 让我可以给每一位母亲 她们需要的东西 这样她就可以 从事世界上最美丽的一份事业: 抚养的她的新生儿。
inspires:激励;赋予灵感(inspire的第三人称单数); mission:n.使命,任务;代表团;布道;v.派遣;向…传教; nurturing:v.养育;培养;扶持;支持;助长;(nurture的现在分词)
And next time you think of a gift for a new mom and her family, don't look far: buy her soap. 这样,下次你去看望一位产妇和她的家人 想带礼物去时, 不用想太多:给她买一个肥皂吧。
It's the most beautiful invention in public health. 这是在公共卫生历史上最伟大的发明。
I hope you will join us and make handwashing part of your daily lives and our daily lives and help more children like Myo reach their fifth birthday. 我也希望大家能加入我们 让洗手成为你们 以及我们的日常生活 并且帮助更多像妙一样的男孩 让他们能过自己的五岁生日。
Thank you. 谢谢。
(Applause) (掌声)