|
|
MusimbiKanyoro_2017W-_要解决世界上最大的问题,就要投资女性和女孩_
|
My mother was a philanthropist . |
我的母親是個慈善家。 |
philanthropist:n.慈善家,博爱主义者;乐善好施的人;
|
And now I know you're asking -- let me give you the answer: yes, a little bit like Melinda Gates -- |
我知道你現在想問什麼—— 讓我給你答案:是的: 有點像梅林達?蓋茨 —— |
(Laughter) |
(笑聲) |
but with a lot less money. |
但是錢是少了很多。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑聲) |
She carried out her philanthropy in our community through a practice we call, "isirika." |
她的慈善事業統稱為 「依西里卡」 在我們的社群實行。 |
philanthropy:n.博爱,慈善;慈善事业; community:n.社区;[生态]群落;共同体;团体;
|
She supported the education of scores of children and invited many to live with us in our home in order to access schools. |
她支援幾十名兒童的教育, 並邀請多個兒童來我們家居住, 方便他們通勤學校。 |
She mobilized resources for building the local health clinic and the maternity wing is named in memory of her. |
她動員資源建設當地的健康診所, 產房側翼以她的 名字命名作為記念。 |
mobilized:v.组织;动员;调动;调用;(mobilize的过去式和过去分词) resources:n.[计][环境]资源; v.向…提供资金(resource的第三人称单数); clinic:n.诊所;临床实习;(医院的)门诊部;门诊时间; maternity:n.母性,母道;[妇产]妇产科医院;adj.产科的;产妇的,孕妇的; in memory of:纪念…;
|
But most important, she was endeared by the community for her organizing skills, because she organized the community, and specifically women, to find solutions to anything that was needed. |
但最重要的是, 她的組織能力深受 社群人士的歡迎, 因為她推動整個社區, 特別是女性, 為任何需要做的事情, 尋找解決方案。 |
endeared:vt.使…受钟爱;使…亲密; organizing:v.组织;安排;处理;分配;管理;(organize的现在分词) organized:adj.有组织的; v.组织; (organize的过去分词和过去式) specifically:adv.特别地;明确地;
|
She did all of this through isirika. |
她通過「依西里卡」完成了這一切。 |
Let me repeat that word for you again: isirika. |
讓我再次為你重複這個詞: 「依西里卡」。 |
Now it's your turn. Say it with me. |
現在輪到你了,跟我一起說。 |
(Audience) Isirika. |
(觀眾)「依西里卡」。 |
Musimbi Kanyoro: Thank you. |
穆西比?坎約羅:謝謝。 |
That word is in my language, Maragoli, spoken in western Kenya, and now you speak my language. |
這個詞源自我的母語, 馬拉戈利語, 通用於肯尼亞西部, 現在你們說我的語言了。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑聲) |
So, isirika is a pragmatic way of life that embraces charity , services and philanthropy all together. |
所以「依西里卡」是種 務實的生活方式, 包括捐助、 服務 和慈善事業。 |
pragmatic:adj.实际的;实用主义的;国事的; embraces:v.拥抱;乐意采纳(思想、建议等);信奉;包括;(embrace的第三人称单数) charity:n.慈善;施舍;慈善团体;宽容;施舍物;
|
The essence of isirika is to make it clear to everybody that you're your sister's keeper -- and yes, you're your brother's keeper. |
「依西里卡」的本質 是要向大家講清楚 你是你姐妹的守護者 - 是的, 你是你兄弟的守護者, |
essence:n.本质;实质;精髓;香精;
|
Mutual responsibility for caring for one another. |
有相互照顧的責任。 |
Mutual:adj.共同的;相互的,彼此的;
|
A literal , simple English translation would be equal generosity , but the deep philosophical meaning is caring, together, for one another. |
簡單英文的字面翻譯 是平等的慷慨, 但深刻的哲學意義, 就是大家要一起,彼此關心。 |
literal:adj.文字的;逐字的;无夸张的; generosity:n.慷慨,大方;宽宏大量; philosophical:adj.哲学的(等于philosophic);冷静的;
|
So how does isirika really happen? |
「依西里卡」怎麼發生的? |
I grew up in a farming community in western Kenya. |
我在一個農業社區長大 在肯尼亞西部。 |
I remember vividly the many times that neighbors would go to a neighbor's home -- a sick neighbor's home -- and harvest their crop for them. |
我清楚記得,有許多次, 鄰居會去拜訪其他鄰居, 生病了的鄰居的家, 幫他們收成農作。 |
vividly:adv.生动地;强烈地;
|
I tagged alongside with my mother to community events and to women's events, and had the conversation about vaccinations in school, building the health center and really big things -- renewing seeds for the next planting season. |
我跟著母親參與這些社區 和婦女的活動, 並與學校討論疫苗接種的問題, 建設健康中心 和真正的大事, 為下一個種植季節更新種子。 |
tagged:adj.标记的;示踪的;加标记的;v.附以签条(tag的过去分词); vaccinations:n.接种疫苗;种痘; renewing:adj.再生的,更新的;v.复兴(renew的ing形式);使…更新;重新开始;
|
And often, the community would come together to contribute money to send a neighbor's child to school -- not only in the country but to universities abroad as well. |
社區人士通常會聚到一起, 捐錢送鄰居的孩子去上學, 不僅是在國內的學校, 也到國外的大學。 |
contribute:v.贡献,出力;投稿;捐献; abroad:adv.在国外;到海外;adj.往国外的;n.海外;异国;
|
And so we have a surgeon . |
我們因此有一位外科醫生。 |
surgeon:n.外科医生;
|
The first surgeon in my country came from that rural village. |
第一位外科醫生來自我們那個村莊。 |
rural:adj.农村的,乡下的;田园的,有乡村风味的;
|
(Applause) |
(掌聲) |
So ... |
所以...... |
what isirika did was to be inclusive . |
「依西里卡」所做的包羅廣泛。 |
inclusive:adj.包括的,包含的;
|
We as children would stand alongside the adults and give our contributions of money, and our names were inscripted in the community book just like every adult. |
我們孩子會站在大人旁邊 投注我們的捐款, 我們的名字會寫入社區名冊, 就像每個大人一樣。 |
contributions:n.捐款;捐资;定期缴款;贡献;促成作用;(contribution的复数) inscripted:边缘种类;
|
And then I grew up, went to universities back at home and abroad, obtained a few degrees here and there , became organized and took up international jobs, working in development, humanitarian work and philanthropy. |
然後我長大了, 進入國內及國外大學, 取得多個學位, 學習組織能力 和從事國際性的工作, 替發展中的, 人道和慈善事業 工作。 |
obtained:v.获得(obtain的过去分词); here and there:各处,到处; humanitarian:adj.人道主义的;博爱的;基督凡人论的;n.人道主义者;基督凡人论者;
|
And very soon, isirika began to become small. |
而很快的, 「依西里卡」開始變小、 |
It dissipated and then just disappeared . |
消散、 然後就消失了。 |
dissipated:adj.消散的; vt.消散; (dissipate的过去分词和过去式) disappeared:adj.消失的;消失了的;v.消失,失踪;(disappear的过去式和过去分词)
|
In each place, |
在每個地方, |
I gained a new vocabulary. |
我得到了一個新詞彙。 |
The vocabulary of donors and recipients . |
一個象徵捐助者和接受者的詞彙。 |
donors:n.捐赠人(donor的复数);[电子]施主; recipients:n.收件人(recipient的复数);
|
The vocabulary of measuring impact , return on investment ... |
這些詞彙代表的影響力測量, 投資報酬率?? |
impact:n.影响;效果;碰撞;冲击力;v.挤入,压紧;撞击;对…产生影响; investment:n.投资;投入;封锁;
|
projects and programs. |
項目和計劃。 |
Communities such as my childhood community became referred to as "poor, vulnerable populations." |
像我童年時的這類社區 被認為是「貧窮與弱勢群體」。 |
Communities:n.社区;社会;团体;共有(community的复数) childhood:n.童年;幼年;孩童时期 referred:v.提到;引用;认为;指示;涉及;(refer的过去式和过去分词) vulnerable:adj.易受攻击的,易受…的攻击;易受伤害的;有弱点的;
|
Those are the communities of which literature speaks about as living on less than a dollar a day, and they become the targets for poverty eradication programs. |
這些是文獻所談論的社區, 由於每天生活費不足一美元, 所以成為消滅貧窮方案的目標。 |
literature:n.文学;文献;文艺;著作; poverty:n.贫困;困难;缺少;低劣; eradication:n.消灭,扑灭;根除;
|
And by the way , they are the targets of our first |
順便說一下, 他們是我們在聯合國對於永續開發的 |
by the way:顺便说一下;
|
United Nations' sustainable development goal. |
第一個目標。 |
United:adj.联合的; v.联合,团结; (unite的过去分词和过去式) sustainable development:可持续发展;
|
Now, I'm really interested that we find solutions to poverty and to the world's other many big problems because they do exist. |
現在,我非常感興趣的是, 我們能找到解決貧困, 和世界上其他重大問題的方法, 因為它們確實存在。 |
I however think that we could do a better job, and we could do a better job by embracing isirika. |
然而我認為我們可以做得更好, 透過擁抱「依西里卡」做得更好。 |
embracing:n.拥抱;v.拥抱,包含;(embrace的现在分词)
|
So let me tell you how. |
那麼讓我告訴你怎麼做。 |
First, isirika affirms common humanity . |
首先,「依西里卡」肯定共通的人性。 |
affirms:v.肯定(affirm的第三人称单数);申明; humanity:n.人类;人道;仁慈;人文学科;
|
For whatever that you do, you begin from the premise that you're human together. |
無論你做什麼, 你的前提是,大家都生而為人。 |
premise:n.前提;假定;v.假定;预述(条件等);引导(论述等);;
|
When you begin that you're human together, you see each other differently. |
當你從「大家都生而為人」開始時, 你開始用不同的方式看待彼此。 |
You don't see a refugee first and you don't see a woman first and you don't see a person with disability first. |
你不是先看到一個難民, 你不是先看到一個女人, 而你不是先看到一個殘疾的人。 |
refugee:n.难民;避难者;逃亡者;v.避难;adj.避难的; disability:n.残疾;无能;无资格;不利条件;
|
You see a human being first. |
你會先看到的是一個人。 |
That is the essence of seeing a person first. |
那就是「先看到一個人」的本質。 |
And when you do that, you value their ideas, you value their contribution -- small or big. |
當你這樣做時, 你珍視他們的想法, 你珍視他們的貢獻, 無論多大多小。 |
And you value what they bring to the table. |
而你珍視他們能帶來的價值。 |
That is the essence of isirika. |
這就是「依西里卡」的本質。 |
I just want to imagine what it would look like if everyone in this room -- a medical doctor, a parent, a lawyer, a philanthropist, whatever you are -- if you embraced isirika and made it your default . |
我只想想像會是什麼模樣, 如果這個房間裡的每個人—— 醫生、父母、 律師、慈善家, 不管你做什麼—— 如果你能懷抱「依西里卡」, 讓它成為你的基本。 |
embraced:v.拥抱;欣然接受,乐意采纳;信奉;包含;(embrace的过去分词和过去式) default:n.违约;拖欠;缺席;缺陷;v.违约;拖欠;缺乏;不履行;
|
What could we achieve for each other? |
我們能為彼此成就什麼? |
What could we achieve for humanity? |
我們能為人類成就什麼? |
What could we achieve for peace issues ? |
我們能為和平成就什麼? |
issues:n.重要议题;争论的问题;v.宣布;公布;发出;(issue的第三人称单数和复数)
|
What could we achieve for medical science? |
我們能為醫學成就什麼? |
Let me give you a couple of hints , because I'm going to ask you to accompany me in this process of rebuilding and reclaiming isirika with me. |
讓我給你幾個提示, 因為我要請你跟我一起 參與重建和肯定「依西里卡」的過程。 |
hints:n.暗示,提示(hint的复数形式);v.暗示,示意(hint的单三形式); accompany:v.陪同;陪伴;与…同时发生;为…伴奏; process:v.处理;加工;列队行进;n.过程,进行;方法,adj.经过特殊加工(或处理)的; reclaiming:v.取回;拿回;要求归还;开垦,利用;荒漠化;(reclaim的现在分词)
|
First, you have to have faith that we are one humanity, we have one planet and we don't have two choices about that. |
首先,你必須打從心裡相信 我們皆生而為人, 我們共同擁有這個地球, 沒有其他選擇。 |
faith:n.信心;信任;宗教信仰;
|
So there's not going to be a wall that is high enough to separate humanity. |
所以不會有任何高牆 足以分割人性。 |
So give up the walls. |
所以別再築牆了。 |
Give them up. |
放棄築牆吧。 |
(Applause) |
(掌聲) |
And we don't have a planet B to go to. |
而我們沒有另一個星球可去。 |
So that's really important. |
所以這非常重要。 |
Make that clear; move onto the next stage. |
弄清楚這件事; 再進入下一個階段。 |
The second stage: remember, in isirika, every idea counts. |
第二階段:記住, 在「依西里卡」裡 每個想法都很重要。 |
Bridges have big posters and they have nails. |
橋樑有大海報, 海報上裝有釘子。 |
posters:n.海报;巨幅装饰画;发布消息的人;(poster的复数)
|
Every idea counts -- small or big counts. |
每個想法都很重要, 不管多大多小。 |
And third, isirika affirms that those who have more really enjoy the privilege of giving more. |
第三, 「依西里卡」肯定 那些擁有更多的人 真正享受給予更多的殊榮。 |
privilege:n.特权;优待;v.给与…特权;特免;
|
It is a privilege to give more. |
能夠給予更多,就是一種殊榮。 |
(Applause) |
(掌聲) |
And this is the time for women to give more for women. |
現在是女性為其他女性 給予更多的時候, |
It is the time to give more for women. |
現在是給予女性更多的時候。 |
Our parents, when they brought in other children to live with us, they didn't ask our permission. |
當我們的父母把其他孩童 帶進家裡與我們一起生活時, 他們並沒有徵求我們的同意。 |
They made it clear that they had a responsibility because they had gone to school and they had an earning. |
他們明確表示,自己是有責任的, 因為他們受過教育, 因為他們有收入。 |
And they made it clear that we should understand that their prosperity was not our entitlement , and I think that's good wisdom from isirika. |
他們明確表示,我們應該明白 他們的成就並不是我們的權利, 我認為這是來自「依西里卡」的智慧。 |
prosperity:n.繁荣,成功; entitlement:n.权利;津贴; wisdom:n.智慧;明智;才智;学问;
|
We could use that wisdom today, I think, in every culture, in every place, passing to the next generation what we could do together. |
我們能運用這智慧,我想, 在每一個文化, 在每一個地方, 把我們能做的事 一代一代往下傳承。 |
I have, over the years, encountered isirika in many places, but what gives me really the passion today to embrace isirika is the work that I do with women all over the world through the Global Fund for Women, though women's funds and through women's movements globally. |
我曾經, 在這麼多年來, 在許多的地方看到「依西里卡」, 但在今天真正激發我的熱情的是, 懷抱著「依西里卡」, 我和全世界各地女性在做的, 透過世界女性基金, 透過女性基金 和全世界各種女性運動。 |
encountered:v.遭遇,遇到;偶然碰到;意外地遇见;(encounter的过去分词和过去式) what gives:出了什么事; passion:n.激情;热情;酷爱;盛怒; Global:adj.全球的;总体的;球形的; funds:n.[会计]资金,现金(fund的复数);基金;v.资助(fund的三单形式);提供资金;
|
If you work with women, you change every day because you experience them living isirika together in what they do. |
如果你和女性一起工作, 你每天都在改變 因為你能體驗她們一起在 「依西里卡」的身體力行。 |
In the work that I do, we trust women leaders and their ideas. |
在我所做的工作中, 我們相信女性領導者 和她們的想法。 |
And we support them with funding so that they can expand , they can grow and they can thrive within their own communities. |
我們資助她們, 讓她們能夠擴展, 讓她們能夠成長, 讓她們可以在自己的 社群內有所成就。 |
funding:n.基金;资金;提供资金;v.为…提供资金;拨款给;(fund的现在分词) expand:v.扩张;使膨胀;详述;发展;张开,展开; thrive:v.繁荣;茁壮成长;蓬勃发展;兴旺发达;
|
A woman in 1990 came to the Global Fund with a big idea -- a woman from Mexico by the name of Lucero González. |
1990年,一位女士帶著一個 大想法來到全球基金會, 她來自墨西哥, 名叫露莎羅?岡薩列茲。 |
by the name of:名叫;以…的名义;
|
She wanted to begin a fund that would support a movement that would be rooted in the communities in Mexico. |
她想創立一個支持一項運動的基金, 一項針對墨西哥社群的運動。 |
And she received a grant of 7,500 US dollars. |
她獲得了七千五百美元的贊助。 |
grant:v.授予;允许;承认;同意;n.拨款;[法]授予物;
|
Today, 25 years later, |
今天,25 年後, |
Semillas, the name of the fund, has raised and spent, within the community, 17.8 million dollars. |
賽米拉斯,該基金的名稱, 已經在社群 募集和使用了 1,780 萬美元。 |
(Applause) |
(掌聲) |
They have impacted over two million people, and they work with a group of 600,000 women in Mexico. |
她們已經影響了超過 200 萬人, 而她們與墨西哥 60 萬名 女性一起工作。 |
impacted:adj.压紧的;结实的;嵌入的;(人口)稠密的;v.装紧;挤满(impact的过去分词);
|
During the recent earthquake, they were so well rooted that they could quickly assess within the community and with others, what were the short-term needs and what were the long-term needs. |
在最近的地震中, 因為她們深入紮根, 能迅速評估社群內外, 哪些是短期、哪些是長期的各種需要。 |
assess:vt.评定;估价;对…征税; short-term:adj.短期的; long-term:adj.长期的;从长远来看;
|
And I tell you, long after the lights have gone off Mexico, |
我能說, 即使墨西哥有天吹熄燈號, |
Semillas will be there with the communities, with the women, for a very long time. |
賽米拉斯仍會在那裡, 與社群,與女性, 長存不息。 |
And that's what I'm talking about: when we are able to support the ideas of communities that are rooted within their own setting. |
而這就是我在講的: 當我們能夠支持社群的想法時, 它們就紮根於自己的環境中。 |
Thirty years ago, there was very little funding that went directly to women's hands in their communities. |
三十年前, 很少有資金直接落入 社群裡的女性手中。 |
directly:adv.直接地;立即;马上;正好地;坦率地;conj.一…就;
|
Today we celebrate 168 women's funds all over the world, 100 of which are in this country. |
我們今天慶祝 168 個在世界各地 女性的基金, 其中有 100 個存在於這個國家。 |
And they support -- |
它們支持...... |
(Applause) |
(掌聲) |
they support grassroots women's organizations -- community organizations under the leadership of girls and women, and together we have been able, collectively , to give a billion dollars to women and girls-led organizations. |
它們支持基層婦女的組織, 在婦女領導下的社群組織, 而大家能夠一起, 集體, 捐贈十億美元給女性 和女孩主導的組織。 |
grassroots:adj.基层的;草根的;乡村的;n.草根;基础; organizations:n.组织,构造,有机体(organization的复数);组织机构; collectively:adv.共同地,全体地;
|
(Applause) |
(掌聲) |
But the challenge begins today. |
但挑戰從今天開始。 |
The challenge begins today because we see women everywhere organizing as isirika, including women organizing as isirika in TED. |
從今天開始的挑戰是, 因為我們看到無處不在的 「依西里卡」女性組織, 包括 TED 裡的女性 「依西里卡」組織。 |
Because isirika is the evergreen wisdom that lives in communities. |
因為「依西里卡」 是長存於社群的常青智慧。 |
evergreen:n.常绿树;常绿植物;adj.[植]常绿的;永葆青春的;
|
You find it in indigenous communities, in rural communities. |
你能在土著社群、 在鄉村社群找到它。 |
indigenous:adj.本土的;土著的;国产的;固有的;
|
And what it really ingrains in people is that ability to trust and to move the agenda ahead. |
它真正深植人心 是那信任 和推動議題的能力。 |
ingrains:adj.由染色原纱[原料]制成的; n.固有的品质; v.[印,纺]使原纱(或原料)染色; (ingrain的第三人称单数) agenda:n.议事日程;
|
So, three things that I have learned that I want to share with you through my work. |
在我的工作當中 我學會了三件事情, 想與你們分享。 |
One: if you want to solve the world's biggest problems, invest in women and girls. |
第一:如果你想解決 世界上最大的問題, 請投資女性和女孩。 |
(Applause) |
(掌聲) |
Not only do they expand the investment, but they care for everyone in the community. |
她們不僅將投資放大, 而且也關心社群中每一個人。 |
Not only their needs but the needs of their children, the needs of the rest of the community, the needs of the elderly , and most important, they protect themselves -- which is really important -- and they protect their communities. |
不僅是她們自己的需求, 還有她們兒女們的需求, 整個社群其他人的需求, 老年人的需求, 而最重要的是, 她們能夠保護自己, 這非常重要, 她們還會保護她們的社群。 |
elderly:adj.上了年纪的;过了中年的;稍老的;
|
Women who know how to protect themselves know what it means to make a difference . |
女性知道該如何保護自己, 知道改變的意義。 |
make a difference:有影响,有关系;
|
And the second reason that I'm asking you to invest in women and girls is because this is the smartest thing you could ever do at this particular time. |
第二個我要求你們投資女性的原因, 是因為這是在現在這個時間點, |
And if we are going to have over 350 trillion dollars by 2030, those dollars need to be in the hands of women. |
若我們到 2030 年 超過 350 萬億美元, 那些錢需要被女性掌握。 |
trillion:n.[数]万亿;adj.万亿的;num.[数]万亿; in the hands of:由…掌握;在…掌握中;
|
And so I grew up with isirika. |
「依西里卡」伴隨我長大。 |
My mother was isirika. |
我的母親是「依西里卡」。 |
She was not a project or a program. |
她並不是一個專案或計劃。 |
And now, I pass that to you. |
而現在,我把它傳遞給你, |
That you will be able to share this with your families, with your friends and with your community, and embrace isirika as a way of living -- as a pragmatic way of living. |
你能把它與你的家人、 你的朋友 和你的社群分享, 並擁抱「依西里卡」為生活的方式, 一種務實的生活方式。 |
Thank you. |
謝謝。 |
(Applause) |
(掌聲) |
Thank you. |
謝謝。 |
(Applause) |
(掌聲) |
Thank you. |
謝謝。 |
(Applause) |
(掌聲) |