|
|
MoribaJah_2019U-_世上首桩群众外包的太空交通监控系统_-
|
I am an astrodynamicist -- you know, like that guy Rich Purnell in the movie "The Martian ." |
我是个天体动力学家, 就像电影《绝地救援》中的 李察·普奈尔。 |
Martian:adj.火星的;n.火星人;
|
And it's my job to study and predict motion of objects in space. |
我研究和预测物体在太空中的运动。 |
predict:v.预报;预言;预告; motion:n.动作;移动;手势;请求;意向;议案;v.运动;打手势;
|
Currently we track about one percent of hazardous objects on orbit -- hazardous to services like location , agriculture, banking, television and communications, and soon -- very soon -- even the internet itself. |
目前我们追踪大约 1% 在轨道上的危险物体, 它们会危害卫星定位、 农業、银行、 电视和通信等服务, 很快也会危害到网际网路本身。 |
Currently:adv.当前;一般地; track:n.小道;足迹;车辙;轨道;v.追踪;跟踪; hazardous:adj.有危险的;冒险的;碰运气的; orbit:n.轨道;眼眶;势力范围;生活常规;vi.盘旋;绕轨道运行;vt.绕…轨道而行; location:n.地方;地点;位置;定位
|
Now these services are not protected from, roughly , half a million objects the size of a speck of paint all the way to a school bus in size. |
这些服务也许会 被大约五十万种物品危害, 这些东西的大小可能从一滴油漆 到一台校车。 |
roughly:adv.粗糙地;概略地; speck:n.灰尘;污点;小颗粒;vt.使有斑点;
|
A speck of paint, traveling at the right speed, impacting one of these objects, could render it absolutely useless. |
如果一点漆的行进速度恰好, 它撞上其中的任一物体 都可能令其作废。 |
impacting:[力]冲击;[力]撞击;[物]碰撞(impact的现在分词); render:v.提供;给予;提交;翻译;n.粉刷;[建](墙壁的)初涂;抹灰;精制油; absolutely:adv.绝对地;完全地;
|
But we can't track things as small as a speck of paint. |
但我们无法追踪 像油漆这样小的东西, |
We can only track things as small as say, a smartphone . |
只能追踪像智慧手机 这样大小的东西。 |
smartphone:n.智能手机;
|
So of this half million objects that we should be concerned about, we can only track about 26,000 of these objects. |
因此在应该注意的五十万个对象中, 我们只能追踪其中大约两万六千个, |
concerned:adj.有关的;关心的;v.关心;与…有关;(concern的过去时和过去分词)
|
And of these 26,000, only 2,000 actually work. |
而这两万六千个当中 只有两千个仍有作用。 |
Everything else is garbage . |
其他一切都是垃圾。 |
garbage:n.垃圾;废物;
|
That's a lot of garbage. |
很多垃圾。 |
To make things a little bit worse, most of what we launch into orbit never comes back. |
更糟的是 我们射上轨道的大部分东西 |
launch into:进入,投入;
|
We send the satellite in orbit, it stops working, it runs out of fuel, and we send something else up ... |
我们将卫星送入轨道, 它坏了或燃料耗尽了, 我们就发射其他的...... |
and then we send up something else ... |
再发射其他的...... |
and then something else. |
又再发射其他的。 |
And every once in a while , two of these things will collide with each other or one of these things will explode , or even worse, somebody might just happen to destroy one of their satellites on orbit, and this generates many, many more pieces, most of which also never come back. |
每隔一段时间, 有些可能会相撞 或爆炸; 甚至更糟糕的是 轨道上的卫星被人摧毁, 产生更多的碎片, 大部分永远不会回到地面上。 |
every once in a while:有时;偶然;偶尔;时而; collide:vi.碰撞;抵触,冲突;vt.使碰撞;使相撞; explode:v.爆炸;爆裂;勃然(大怒);突然发生(危险); generates:[计]生成;发生;
|
Now these things are not just randomly scattered in orbit. |
这些东西不仅随机散落在轨道中; |
randomly:adv.随便地,任意地;无目的,胡乱地;未加计划地; scattered:adj.零散的; v.撒; (scatter的过去分词和过去式)
|
It turns out that given the curvature of space-time , there are ideal locations where we put some of these satellites -- think of these as space highways. |
根据时空的曲率, 存在着一些放置卫星的理想位置, 可将其视为太空公路。 |
curvature:n.弯曲,[数]曲率; space-time:adj.时空的;n.时空(等于spacetime); locations:n.地方;地点;位置;定位(location的复数)
|
Very much like highways on earth, these space highways can only take up a maximum capacity of traffic to sustain space-safe operations. |
这些太空公路非常像 地球上的高速公路, 它们占用最大的交通容量 以安全地维持太空营运。 |
maximum:n.最大限度;最大量;最高限度;adj.最高的;最多的;最大极限的; capacity:n.能力;容量;资格,地位;生产力; sustain:v.支持;支撑;遭受;证实;
|
Unlike highways on earth, there are actually no space traffic rules. |
但它与地球上的高速公路不同, 它们没有实际的太空交通规则。 |
None whatsoever , OK? |
没有,知道吗? |
whatsoever:pron.无论什么;
|
Wow. |
哇。 |
What could possibly go wrong with that? |
能出什么差错呢? |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
Now, what would be really nice is if we had something like a space traffic map, like a Waze for space that I could look up and see what the current traffic conditions are in space, maybe even predict these. |
如果我们有太空的交通地图就很棒, 就像我可以查太空版的位智(Waze), 看看当前的太空交通状况, 甚至还可以预测交通。 |
The problem with that, however, is that ask five different people, "What's going on in orbit? Where are things going?" |
然而问题是 问五个不同的人: 「轨道上发生了什么事?在哪里?」 |
and you're probably going to get 10 different answers. |
可能会得到十个不同的答案。 |
Why is that? |
为什么呢? |
It's because information about things on orbit is not commonly shared either. |
是因为轨道上物体的 相关讯息没被共享。 |
So what if we had a globally accessible , open and transparent space traffic information system that can inform the public of where everything is located to try to keep space safe and sustainable ? |
那么,如果我们有个 可供全球读取、开放和透明的 太空交通讯息系统, 能够告知公众一切所在的位置, 得以确保太空的安全和永续发展呢? |
what if:如果…怎么办? accessible:adj.易接近的;可进入的;可理解的; transparent:adj.透明的;显然的;坦率的;易懂的; inform:v.通知;告诉;报告;告发;告密; located:adj.位于; v.确定…的准确地点; (locate的过去分词和过去式) sustainable:adj.可以忍受的;足可支撑的;养得起的;可持续的;
|
And what if the system could be used to form evidence-based norms of behavior -- these space traffic rules? |
如果可以透过运用该系统 来建立以实证为基础的 太空交通规则行为规范呢? |
evidence-based:adj.基于证据的; norms:n.[标准]标准,规范;基准(norm复数形式);
|
So I developed ASTRIAGraph, the world's first crowdsourced, space traffic monitoring system at the University of Texas at Austin. |
因此,我开发了 ASTRIAGraph, 这是位在德州大学奥斯汀分校, 世上第一个以群众外包 完成的太空交通监控系统。 |
ASTRIAGraph combines multiple sources of information from around the globe -- government, industry and academia -- and represents this in a common framework that anybody can access today. |
ASTRIAGraph 结合 来自全球各地的多种讯息来源—— 政府、工業和学术界—— 建在人人都可以读取的共同框架中。 |
multiple:adj.数量多的;多种多样的;n.倍数; sources:n.来源;出处;起源;根源;原因;v.(从…)获得(source的第三人称单数和复数) academia:n.学术界;学术生涯; represents:v.代表;维护…的利益;相当于;(represent的第三人称单数)
|
Here, you can see 26,000 objects orbiting the earth, multiple opinions, and it gets updated in near real time . |
在这里看得到围绕地球运行的 两万六千个物体、 源自多个看法, 并且近乎即时更新。 |
orbiting:v.[航][天]轨道运行;轨道运动;转圈(orbit的ing形式); updated:adj.更新的;现代化的;v.使现代化;更新;(update的过去分词和过去式) real time:adj.实时的;接到指示立即执行的;
|
But back to my problem of space traffic map: |
回到我的太空交通地图问题: |
What if you only had information from the US government? |
如果只收得到美国政府 提供的讯息会怎样? |
Well, in that case, that's what your space traffic map would look like. |
那么,太空交通地图就是这模样。 |
But what do the Russians think? |
俄国人的呢? |
That looks significantly different. |
看起来迥异。 |
significantly:adv.意味深长地;值得注目地;
|
Who's right? Who's wrong? |
谁对谁错? |
What should I believe? |
我应该相信哪个?我能够相信什么? |
What could I trust? |
|
This is part of the issue . |
这是部分问题。 |
issue:n.重要议题;争论的问题;v.宣布;公布;发出;发行;
|
In the absence of this framework to monitor space-actor behavior, to monitor activity in space -- where these objects are located -- to reconcile these inconsistencies and make this knowledge commonplace , we actually risk losing the ability to use space for humanity's benefit. |
在欠缺监测太空行为的框架—— 无法监测太空活动 和物体所在位置—— 若没调和这些不一致性 和让这知识触手可及, 我们真的有可能失去 利用太空来造福人类的能力。 |
In the absence of:缺乏,不存在;无…时,缺少…时; reconcile:v.使和谐一致;调和;使配合;使和解;妥协; inconsistencies:矛盾; commonplace:n.老生常谈;司空见惯的事;普通的东西;adj.平凡的;陈腐的;
|
Thank you very much. |
非常感谢你们。 |
(Applause and cheers) |
(掌声) |