返回首页

MonicaAraya_2016T-_一个小国家的大想法——摒弃化石燃料_

How do we build a society without fossil fuels? 如果不用石油, 我们如何让一个社会运转起来?
fossil:n.化石;老人;老古董;adj.从地下发掘出来的;化石的;属于旧时代的;陈腐的;
This is a very complex challenge, and I believe developing countries could take the lead in this transition . 这是个十分严峻的挑战, 我相信发展中国家可以为这个改变起带头作用。
complex:adj.复杂的;合成的;n.复合体;综合设施; transition:n.过渡;转变;变革;变迁;v.经历转变过程;过渡;
And I'm aware that this is a contentious statement , but the reality is that so much is at stake in our countries if we let fossil fuels stay at the center of our development. 我很清楚这是一个很有争议性的说法, 但事实是,如果我们国家的发展始终围绕着石油, 国家就会承担巨大的风险。
contentious:adj.诉讼的;有异议的,引起争论的;爱争论的; statement:n.声明;陈述,叙述;报表,清单; stake:n.桩,棍子;赌注;火刑;奖金;v.资助,支持;系…于桩上;把…押下打赌;
We can do it differently. 我们能换一种发展方案。
And it's time, it really is time, to debunk the myth that a country has to choose between development on the one hand and environmental protection, renewables , quality of life, on the other. 而且是时候,真的是时候了, 去揭穿这个 所谓一个国家必须在一边是经济发展, 另一边是环境保护,可再生资源以及生活质量中二选一的谬误。
debunk:vt.揭穿;拆穿…的假面具;暴露; myth:n.神话;虚构的人,虚构的事; on the one hand:一方面; renewables:n.可再生能源(renewable的复数);
I come from Costa Rica, a developing country. 我来自哥斯达黎加,一个发展中国家。
Costa:n.[解剖]肋骨;叶脉;[昆]前缘脉;
We are nearly five million people, and we live right in the middle of the Americas, so it's very easy to remember where we live. 我们有将近五百万的人口, 身处在美洲的中心, 所以记住哥斯达黎加的位置,十分的简单。
Nearly 100 percent of our electricity comes from renewable sources , five of them. 我们所用的电力资源几乎
electricity:n.电力;电流;强烈的紧张情绪; sources:n.来源;出处;起源;根源;原因;v.(从…)获得(source的第三人称单数和复数)
(Applause) (掌声)
Hydropower , geothermal , wind, solar, biomass . 水力,地热, 风力,太阳能以及生物质。
Hydropower:n.水力发出的电力;水力发电; geothermal:adj.[地物]地热的;[地物]地温的; biomass:n.(单位面积或体积内的)[生态]生物量;
Did you know that last year, for 299 days, we did not use any fossil fuels in order to generate all our electricity? 你们知道去年, 总共有299天, 我们生产的所有电力 压根没有使用任何化石燃料吗?
generate:v.产生;引起;
It's a fantastic achievement, and yet, it hides a paradox , which is that nearly 70 percent of all our energy consumption is oil. 这是一个了不起的成就, 但同时,这也隐藏了一种矛盾, 那就是我们百分之七十的 能源消费都是石油。
fantastic:奇异的,空想的 paradox:n.悖论,反论;似非而是的论点;自相矛盾的人或事; consumption:n.消费;消耗;肺痨;
Why? 为什么?
Because of our transportation system, which is totally dependent on fossil fuels, like it is in most countries. 因为我们的交通系统, 就像很多其他国家一样, 完全依赖于化石燃料,
transportation:n.运输;运输系统;运输工具;流放; dependent on:依赖于;依靠;
So if we think of the energy transition as a marathon, the question is, how do we get to the finish line, how do we decarbonize the rest of the economy ? 所以如果我们把能源过渡看成是一段马拉松, 那么问题来了,我们如何才能到达终点线? 我们如何才能让我们国家其余的经济体系脱碳?
decarbonize:vt.除去碳素;脱去…的碳(等于decarburize); economy:n.经济;节约;理财;
And it's fair to say that if we don't succeed, it's difficult to see who will. 负责任地说,如果我们无法成功, 那别人也很难做到。
So that is why I want to talk to you about Costa Rica, because I believe we are a great candidate in pioneering a vision for development without fossil fuels. 所以这就是为什么我想跟你们谈谈哥斯达黎加, 因为我相信,我们在不使用化石燃料的发展蓝图中
vision:n.视力;美景;幻象;想象力;v.想象;显现;梦见;
If you know one thing about our country, it's that we don't have an army. 如果你们对我们的国家有一点点了解的话, 就一定知道,我们没有军队。
So I'm going to take you back to 1948. 所以接下来,我想带领你们回到1948那年。
That year, the country was coming out of civil war. 那年,哥斯达黎加刚从一场内战中解脱。
civil:adj.公民的;民间的;文职的;有礼貌的;根据民法的;
Thousands of Costa Ricans had died, and families were bitterly split . 成千上万的哥斯达黎加人死于战乱, 一个个家庭支离破碎,人们流离失所。
bitterly:adv.苦涩地,悲痛地;残酷地;怨恨地; split:v.分离;使分离;劈开;离开;分解;n.劈开;裂缝;adj.劈开的;
And yet, a surprising idea won the hearts and minds: we would reboot the country, and that Second Republic would have no army. 然而,一个令人惊讶的想法得到了大家的支持: 我们要让国家重新繁荣起来, 而且第二共和国将不会有军队。
reboot:vt.重新启动;再发动;n.重新启动;
So we abolished it. 所以我们废除了军队。
abolished:adj.废除的;v.彻底废除;摧毁(abolish的过去分词);
And the president at the time, found a powerful way by smashing the walls of an army base. 当时的总统, 还通过敲碎军队基地的墙壁,来表达坚毅与决心。
smashing:adj.了不起的,极好的;粉碎性的,猛烈的;v.粉碎(smash的现在分词);
The following year, 1949, we made that decision permanent in the new constitution , and that is why I can tell you that story nearly 70 years later. 接下来的一年,1949年, 我们把这个决定写进了我们的宪法里,将它永久地保留下来, 这也是为什么我能在将近70年后,跟你们讲这段故事。
permanent:adj.永久的,永恒的;n.烫发; constitution:n.宪法;构成;体质;组成;
And I'm grateful. 我很感激,
I'm grateful they made that decision before I was born, because it allowed me and millions of others to live in a very stable country. 我很感激他们在我出生之前做了这个决定, 因为这个决定让我和百万名哥斯达黎加的百姓 生活在一个非常安定的国家里。
stable:n.马厩;牛棚;adj.稳定的;牢固的;坚定的;vi.被关在马厩;赶入马房;
And you might be thinking that it was good luck, but it wasn't. 你有可能觉得这只是好运气, 但这并不是。
There was a pattern of deliberate choices. 这一切都是因为一系列经过深思熟虑的决定。
deliberate:v.深思熟虑;仔细考虑;反复思考;adj.故意的;蓄意的;存心的;不慌不忙的;
In the '40s, Costa Ricans were given free education and free health care . 在上世纪40年代,哥斯达黎加人可以免费上学,享受免费医疗。
health care:n.卫生保健;
We called that social guarantees . 我们把这些叫做社会保障。
guarantees:v.保证(guarantee的第三人称单数); n.保证,[法]担保;
By abolishing the army, we were able to turn military spending into social spending, and that was a driver of stability . 废除了军队, 让我们能够把庞大的军事消费用在社会保障上, 而这就是我们国家稳定的基石。
abolishing:vt.废除,废止;取消,革除; military:adj.军事的;军人的;适于战争的;n.军队;军人; stability:n.稳定性;坚定,恒心;
In the '50s -- 在50年代时——
(Applause) (掌声)
In the '50s, we started investing in hydropower, and that kept us away from the trap of using fossil fuels for electricity generation, which is what the world is struggling with today. 在五十年代时,我们开始投资水电工程, 这也使我们避免陷入 使用石油来发电的困局, 而现在全世界都在这个泥潭中挣扎。
investing:v.投资;投入(时间、精力等);(invest的现在分词) trap:v.使陷入困境;卡住;夹住;收集;吸收;n.陷阱;圈套;捕捉器;诡计;
In the '70s we invested in national parks, and that kept us away from the deeply flawed logic of growth, growth, growth at any cost that you see others embracing , especially in the developing world. 在70年代的时候,我们投资建立了国家公园, 而这也使我们避开了 “不惜一切代价发展”这种大错特错的逻辑, 但这个畸形的理念却被很多其它发展中国家所尊崇。
invested:v.投资;投入;(invest的过去分词和过去式) flawed:adj.有缺陷的;有瑕疵的;有裂纹的; logic:n.逻辑;逻辑学;逻辑性;adj.逻辑的; embracing:n.拥抱;v.拥抱,包含;(embrace的现在分词) especially:adv.尤其;特别;格外;十分;
In the '90s, we pioneered payments for ecosystem services, and that helped us reverse deforestation and boosted ecotourism , which today is a key engine of growth. 在90年代时,我们率先提出了为生态系统保护工作者支付报酬的政策, 而这帮助我们逆转了森林砍伐的后果, 同时促进了生态旅游,而这也是我们今天经济发展的主要引擎。
payments:n.付款;支付;收款;款项;报答;(payment的复数) ecosystem:n.生态系统; reverse:n.反面; v.颠倒; adj.相反的; deforestation:n.采伐森林;森林开伐; boosted:adj.升高的;升压的;加力的;v.提高,推进;宣传(boost的过去式); ecotourism:n.生态旅游,生态旅行(前往生态资源未被破坏的地方旅行);
So investing in environmental protection did not hurt our economy. 所以在环境保护方面的投资, 并没有妨碍我们的经济发展。
Quite the opposite. 反而起到了促进作用。
And it doesn't mean we are perfect, and it doesn't mean we don't have contradictions . 但这不代表我们是完美的, 也不代表我们没有其他顾虑。
contradictions:n.不一致,矛盾,对立;反驳;驳斥;(contradiction的复数)
That's not the point. 这不是重点。
The point is that, by making our own choices, we were able to develop resilience in dealing with development problems. 重点是,因为做出了我们自己的决定, 我们得以坚韧又不失灵活地处理发展过程中的各种问题。
resilience:n.恢复力;弹力;顺应力;
Also, if you take a country like ours, the GDP per capita is around 11,000 dollars, depending on how you measure it. 而且,用哥斯达黎加举例, 哥斯达黎加人均GDP差不多是11000美元, 当然这在于你是怎么计算的。
per capita:adj.每人的;人均的;
But according to the Social Progress Index , we are an absolute outlier when it comes to turning GDP into social progress. 但根据社会进步指数的数据, 将GDP转化为社会进步这一点上, 我们绝对是超群的。
according to:根据,据说; Index:n.指标;指数;索引;指针;v.做索引;指出;编入索引中; outlier:n.[分化]异常值;露宿者;局外人;离开本体的部分;
Abolishing the army, investing in nature and people, did something very powerful, too. 废除军队, 在保护自然环境和百姓康乐上投资, 这几点,都对哥斯达黎加的发展做出了不可磨灭的贡献。
It shaped the narrative , the narrative of a small country with big ideas, and it was very empowering to grow up with that narrative. 这一切造就了我们的故事, 那就是,一个小国家也能有大想法, 而这个小国家也在跟随这段故事的脚步慢慢成长。
narrative:n.叙述;故事;讲述;adj.叙事的,叙述的;叙事体的; empowering:v.授权;给(某人)…的权力;增加(某人的)自主权;(empower的现在分词)
So the question is, what is the next big idea for this generation? 那么问题来了, 我们这一代的下一个大想法又是什么呢?
And I believe what comes next is for this generation to let go of fossil fuels for good, just as we did with the army. 我相信我们这一代, 将会为了更好的环境放弃使用化石燃料, 就像我们当初废除了军队一样。
Fossil fuels create climate change. 化石燃料造成了全球气候变化。
We know that, and we know how vulnerable we are to the impacts of climate change. 我们都知道这一点, 也明白我们在面对气候变化所带来的影响时多么不堪一击。
vulnerable:adj.易受攻击的,易受…的攻击;易受伤害的;有弱点的; impacts:n.影响; v.有影响,有作用;
So as a developing country, it is in our best interest to build development without fossil fuels that harm people in the first place . 所以身在一个发展中国家,在建设过程中 摒弃化石燃料才是我们最好的选择, 因为这本身就是在伤害我们自己。
in the first place:首先;起初;
Because why would we continue importing oil for transportation if we can use electricity instead? 因为 当我们可以用电力来代替石油的时候, 我们为什么要继续 为了交通运输而进口石油?
Remember, this is the country where electricity comes from water in our rivers, heat from volcanoes , wind turbines , solar panels , biowaste. 请记住, 这是一个 从江河的水流, 火山的炙热, 风力发电机,和太阳能板 和生物废料中获取电能的国家。
volcanoes:n.火山爆发,火山;火山群(volcano复数); turbines:n.[动力]涡轮;[动力]涡轮机(turbine的复数);[动力]汽轮机; panels:n.面板(panel的复数); v.嵌镶(panel的第三人称单数形式);
Abolishing fossil fuels means disrupting our transportation system so that we can power our cars, buses and trains with electricity instead of dirty energy. 放弃化石燃料,意味着交通系统也必须跟着变革, 所以我们就可以用电能来发动私家车,公共汽车,和火车, 而不再是用会污染环境的石油。
disrupting:v.扰乱;使中断;打乱;(disrupt的现在分词)
And transportation, let me tell you, has become an existential issue for us Costa Ricans, because the model we have is not working for us. 而且让我告诉你们, 交通已经成为哥斯达黎加人生活中的一个麻烦了, 因为现在我们的交通模式并不适合我们。
existential:adj.存在主义的;有关存在的;存在判断的; issue:n.重要议题;争论的问题;v.宣布;公布;发出;发行;
It's hurting people, it's hurting companies, and it's hurting our health. 这影响了百姓的利益, 也伤害了公司的利益, 同时也在影响我们的身体健康。
Because when policies and infrastructure fail, this is what happens on a daily basis. 因为当政府政策和基础设施的建设都无法发挥作用的时候, 这就是每天都要发生的情况。
policies:n.政策;方针;原则;为人之道;保险单(policy的复数) infrastructure:n.基础设施;公共建设;下部构造;
Two hours in the morning, two hours in the evening. 早上塞两个小时, 晚上再塞两个小时。
I don't understand why we have to accept this as normal. 我不明白这一切的不便利为什么会变成我们必须接受的常态,
It's offensive to have to waste our time like this every single day. 每天必须浪费这么多时间在路上,是很令人不快的。
offensive:n.进攻;攻势;攻击;侵犯;adj.冒犯的;得罪人的;无礼的;
And this highway is actually quite good compared to what you see in other countries where traffic is exploding . 而这条高速公路, 相比起你们在别的国家所看到的塞车高峰, 已经是相当不错的了。
compared:adj.比较的,对照的; v.相比; (compare的过去式和过去分词) exploding:v.爆炸;爆裂;勃然(大怒);突然发生(危险);(explode的现在分词)
You know, Costa Ricans call this " presa ." 哥斯达黎加人把这个叫做 ”Presa“ (西班牙语)。
presa:n.声部进入记号;
Presa means " imprisoned ." “ Presa” 是被囚禁的意思。
imprisoned:v.监禁;关押;(imprison的过去分词和过去式)
And people are turning violent in a country that is otherwise happy in pura vida. 而本该是在一个国家里过着纯净生活的人们 开始变得浮躁,暴力。
violent:adj.暴力的;猛烈的;
It's happening. 这已经开始发生了。
So a lot is at stake. 所以很多美好的事都将受到威胁。
The good news is that when we talk about clean transportation and different mobility , we're not talking about some distant utopia out there. 好消息是 当我们说到纯净无污染的交通系统 和与众不同的运输方式, 我们不是在天方夜谭地讨论不可能的纯净乐土。
mobility:n.移动性;机动性;[电子]迁移率; distant:adj.遥远的;远处的;久远的; utopia:n.乌托邦(理想中最美好的社会);理想国;
We're talking about electric mobility that is happening today. 我们是在讲已经在发生的电力交通运输。
By 2022, electric cars and conventional cars are expected to cost the same, and cities are already trying electric buses. 到2022年,电动汽车和传统汽车 预测会有不相上下的价格, 而且有的城市已经开始尝试使用电动公共汽车了。
conventional:adj.符合习俗的,传统的;常见的;惯例的;
And these really cool creatures are saving money, and they reduce pollution. 而这些酷炫的家伙 会替我们省钱, 节能减污。
creatures:n.生物;动物;(具有某种特征的)人(creature的复数)
So if we want to get rid of oil-based transportation, we can, because we have options now that we didn't have before. 所以如果我们想放弃以石油为主的交通系统,我们完全可以, 因为现在我们拥有以前所没有的选择。
oil-based:adj.油基的; options:n.选择; v.得到或获准进行选择; (option的三单形式)
It's really exciting. 这真的是非常激动人心。
But of course, some get very uncomfortable with this idea, and they will come and they will tell you that the world is stuck with oil, and so is Costa Rica, so get real. 不过当然, 有些人会对这个想法感到不快, 然后他们会来跟你说 整个世界只能被石油左右,哥斯达黎加也在所难免,所以现实一点吧。
That's what they tell you. 这是他们的说法。
And you know what the answer to that argument is? 那你们知道该怎么回应这番辩词吗?
That in 1948, we didn't say the world is stuck with armies, so let's keep our army, too. 在1948年的时候,我们并没有说因为世界都被军队掌控, 那我们也留着我们的军队吧。
No, we made a very brave choice, and that choice made the whole difference. 不,我们做了一个勇敢的决定, 而且这个决定为哥斯达黎加人民带来了翻天覆地的改变。
So it's time for this generation to be brave again and abolish fossil fuels for good. 所以是时候该让我们这一代人再次勇敢起来 彻底摒弃化石燃料。
And I'll give you three reasons why we have to do this. 而且我也有三个理由来解释我们为什么一定要这样做。
First, our model of transportation and urbanization is broken, so this is the best moment to redefine our urban and mobility future. 第一, 我们的交通和城市化模式已经千疮百孔, 所以这是重新定义城市和运输系统的未来的最佳时机。
urbanization:n.都市化;文雅化; redefine:vt.重新定义;
We don't want cities that are built for cars. 我们不想要为汽车而建的城市。
We want cities for people where we can walk and we can use bikes. 我们想要的是为人民百姓而建的城市, 在那里我们可以走路,可以骑自行车。
And we want public transportation, lots of it, public transportation that is clean and dignifying . 并且我们需要的是公共交通, 庞大的, 纯净无污染的,更高尚的公共交通系统。
dignifying:vt.使高贵;增威严;授以荣誉;
Because if we continue adding fleets of conventional cars, our cities will become unbearable . 因为如果我们继续购买更多的传统汽车, 我们的城市将不堪重负。
fleets:n.[军]舰队(fleet的复数);v.掠过(fleet的第三人称单数形式); unbearable:adj.难以忍受的;承受不住的;
Second, we have to change, but incremental change is not going to be sufficient . 第二,我们必须改变, 但是逐步的变化是不够的。
incremental:adj.增加的,增值的; sufficient:adj.足够的;充分的;
We need transformational change. 我们需要的是转型和变革。
transformational:adj.转换的;改变的;转换生成的;
And there are some incremental projects in my country, and I am the first one to celebrate them. 我们的国家也在实施一些逐步改善计划, 而我也是第一个为这些计划叫好的人。
But let's not kid ourselves. 但是不要自欺欺人。
We're not talking about ending up with really beautiful electric cars here and a few electric buses there while we keep investing in the same kind of infrastructure, more cars, more roads, more oil. 我们谈的不是这里以后会有漂亮的电动汽车, 那里又会有几辆电动公共汽车, 如果我们持续投资跟以前一样的城市基础设施, 这只会造成一样的车多,路多,油多。
We're talking about breaking free from oil, and you cannot get there through incrementalism. 我们谈的是彻底从石油中解脱, 而我们也不能通过渐进主义做到这一点。
Third, and you know this one, the world is hungry for inspiration. 第三,你们都有所耳闻, 今天的世界如饥似渴地寻找灵感来源。
It craves stories of success in dealing with complex issues , especially in developing countries. 成功处理复杂事件的背后, 隐藏着刻苦铭心的故事, 特别是在发展中国家。
craves:v.渴望;热望;恳求;请求;(crave的第三人称单数) issues:n.重要议题;争论的问题;v.宣布;公布;发出;(issue的第三人称单数和复数)
So I believe Costa Rica can be an inspiration to others, as we did last year when we disclosed that for so many days we were not using any fossil fuels in order to generate all our electricity. 所以我觉得哥斯达黎加可以成为别国的典范, 就像我们去年向世界透露 我们已经有很长一段时间 都没有用化石燃料来发电了一样。
disclosed:v.揭露;泄露;使显露;使暴露;(disclose的过去式和过去分词)
The news went viral around the world. 这则消息像病毒一样疯狂传遍了全世界。
viral:adj.滤过性毒菌引起的;滤过性毒菌的;
Also, and this makes me extremely proud, a Costa Rican woman, Christiana Figueres, played a decisive role in the negotiations of the Paris climate agreement. 而且,这也让我感到非常的自豪, 一个哥斯达黎加的女性,克里斯汀安娜·菲格雷斯, 在巴黎气候协议中的谈判起到了关键性的作用。
extremely:adv.非常,极其;极端地; decisive:adj.决定性的;果断的,坚定的; negotiations:n.谈判(negotiation的复数);磋商;
So we have to protect that legacy and be an example. 所以我们必须捍卫这个成就,并且以身作则。
legacy:n.遗赠,遗产;
So what comes next? 那么接下来呢?
The people. 我们的百姓。
How do we get people to own this? 我们如何才能让人们去接受这个想法?
How do we get people to believe that it's possible to build a society without fossil fuels? 我们如何才能 让人们相信 建造一个没有石油的社会是有可能的?
A lot of work from the ground up is needed. 从最基本的工作开始是必经过程。
from the ground up:从头开始;彻底;
That is why, in 2014, we created Costa Rica Limpia. 这就是为什么,在2014年的时候,我们创建了Costa Rica Limpia (“纯净哥斯达黎加”)。
'"Limpia" means "clean," Limpia (西班牙语)的意思是 ”干净“,
because we want to empower and we want to inspire citizens. 因为我们想启发,鼓励我们的公民。
inspire:v.激发;鼓舞;启示;产生;使生灵感;
If citizens don't get engaged , clean transportation decisions will be bogged down by endless , and I mean endless , technical discussions, and by avalanches of lobbying by various established interests. 如果公民们不参与, 开发无污染的交通系统的决定 将会被无限的技术研讨会所淹没 和代表不同利益的组织所游说阻挠。
engaged:adj.已订婚的; v.吸引住; (engage的过去分词和过去式) bogged:v.(使)陷于泥沼;(使)动弹不得;(bog的过去分词和过去式) endless:adj.无止境的;连续的;环状的;漫无目的的; technical:adj.工艺的,科技的;技术上的;专门的; avalanches:n.[水文][地理]雪崩(avalanche的复数); v.[水文][地理]雪崩(avalanche的第三人称单数形式); lobbying:v.游说(从政者或政府);(lobby的现在分词) established:adj.已确立的;著名的;v.建立;创立;设立;(establish的过去分词和过去式)
Wanting to be a green country powered by renewables is already part of our story. 成为一个全由可再生资源供电的绿色国家的这个想法, 早已是我们国家故事中的一个篇章。
We should not let anybody take that away from us. 我们不能让任何人夺走属于我们的故事。
Last year, we brought people from our seven provinces to talk about climate change in terms that matter to them, and we also brought this year another group of Costa Ricans to talk about renewable energy. 去年,我们聚集了从7个省来的群众 讨论了气候变化对于他们的影响。 而今年我们又聚集了 另一群哥斯达黎加人 讨论了可再生资源。
And you know what? 你们猜怎么着?
These people disagree on almost everything except on renewable energy and clean transportation and clean air. 这些群众平常几乎是没有众口一致过的, 但他们在关于可再生资源,
It brings people together. 这也让哥斯达黎加人团结了。
And the key to real participation is to help people not to feel small. 真正能引导群众积极参与的关键 是去让人们意识到自己的一举一动不再渺小。
participation:n.参与;分享;参股;
People feel powerless, and they are tired of not being heard. 群众很多时候都会觉得自己有心无力, 他们再也不希望自己的呼声被无视了。
So what we do is concrete things, and we translate technical issues into citizen language to show that citizens have a role to play and can play it together. 所以我们要做的是基础观念的建立, 把专业问题转述成百姓听得懂的语言, 这样才能让他们觉得有责任团结一致,贡献自己的力量。
concrete:n.混凝土;adj.混凝土制的;确实的,具体的;vt.用混凝土覆盖 translate:v.翻译;被翻译;被译成;(使)转变;
For the first time, we're tracking the promises that were made on clean transportation, and politicos know that they have to deliver it, but the tipping point will come when we form coalitions -- citizens, companies, champions of public transportation -- that will make electric mobility the new normal, especially in a developing country. 我们首次紧密地监督, 对无污染交通系统的承诺, 政客也知道他们需要去传达这个理念, 但是当我们形成了坚固的联盟—— 民众,公司, 公共交通系统的拥护者—— 我们就会势不可挡地将电力交通转换为新的常态, 特别是在发展中国家。
tracking:n.追踪,跟踪;v.跟踪;(track的现在分词) politicos:n.政客(politico的变形); tipping point:n.(个案积累终成大趋势的)引爆点; coalitions:n.联合;结盟(coalition的复数);
By the time the next election comes, 在下一届选举到来的时候,
I believe every candidate will have to disclose where they stand on the abolition of fossil fuels. 我相信每一位候选人都必须在摒弃化石燃料使用的 这一问题上表态。
abolition:n.废除;废止;
Because this question has to enter our mainstream politics . 因为这一问题势必会成为政治主流。
mainstream:n.主流; politics:n.政治;钩心斗角;政治观点;v.(贬)从事政治活动;(politic的第三人称单数)
And I'm telling you, this is not a question of climate policy or environmental agenda . 我还要告诉你们,这并不是一个气候政策的问题, 也不是一个保护环境的议程。
policy:n.政策,方针;保险单; agenda:n.议事日程;
It's about the country that we want and the cities that we have and the cities that we want and who makes that choice. 这一切都是为了我们想要的一个理想国度, 我们拥有的城市, 我们想要的城市, 以及由谁来做这些决定。
Because at the end of the day, what we have to show is that development with renewable energy is good for the people, for Costa Ricans that are alive today and especially for those who haven't been born. 因为到最后,我们要展现的是 可再生资源的发展 对人们是有益处的, 对今天活着的哥斯达黎加人, 对还未出生的哥斯达黎加人都有益处。
This is our National Museum today. 这是我们的国家博物馆。
It's bright and peaceful, and when you stand up in front of it, it's really hard to believe these were military barracks at the end of the '40s. 明亮而平和, 而当你站在它面前时, 很难相信这里曾经是 40年代末的军营。
barracks:n.兵营,营房; v.使驻扎军营里; (澳)大声鼓噪(barrack的三单形式);
We started a new life without an army in this place, and here is where our abolition of fossil fuels will be announced one day. 我们在这个没有军队的地方展开了一段新的生活篇章, 而这里终有一天也会是 我们向全世界宣布摒弃化石燃料的地方。
And we will make history again. 我们将又一次创造历史。
Thank you. 谢谢。
(Applause) (掌声)