返回首页

MikeVelings_2015Z-_养殖鱼类的案例_

So I come from the tallest people on the planet -- the Dutch . 我来自地球最高人种的国家-- 荷兰。
Dutch:adj.荷兰的; n.荷兰人; v.费用平摊地;
It hasn't always been this way. 但不是只有荷兰这样。
In fact, all across the globe, people have been gaining height. 事实上,全世界的人都在长高。
In the last 150 years, in developed countries, on average, we have gotten 10 centimeters taller. 过去的 150 年, 在已开发国家中, 我们身高平均已经多了 10 公分。
centimeters:n.[计量]厘米(centimeter的复数);
And scientists have a lot of theories about why this is, but almost all of them involve nutrition , namely the increase of dairy and meat. 而科学家有很多有关于这方面的理论, 但它们大部分都与营养有关, 换句话说就是奶类与肉类。
involve:v.包含;需要;牵涉;牵连;影响;(使)参加; nutrition:n.营养,营养学;营养品; namely:adv.也就是;即是;换句话说; dairy:n.奶制品; adj.乳品的;
In the last 50 years, global meat consumption has more than quadrupled , from 71 million tons to 310 million tons. 在过去的 50 年, 全球肉类的消费增长已经超过 4 倍, 从七千一百万万吨上升到三亿一千万吨。
global:adj.全球的;总体的;球形的; consumption:n.消费;消耗;肺痨; quadrupled:adj.四倍的;v.quadruple的过去式;
Something similar has been going on with milk and eggs. 牛奶和鸡蛋也有相同的情况。
In every society where incomes have risen, so has protein consumption. 在每个收入增加的社会,蛋白质的消耗量也跟着增加。
protein:n.蛋白质;
And we know that globally, we are getting richer. 我们知道全世界的人越来越有钱。
And as the middle class is on the rise, so is our global population, from 7 billion of us today to 9.7 billion by 2050, which means that by 2050, we are going to need at least 70 percent more protein than what is available to humankind today. 当中产阶级人口上升,全球的人口也跟着上升, 到2050年之前,全球人口会从70 亿增加到 97 亿。 也就是说,在 2050 年前, 我们需要的蛋白质 比现在供应给全人类的至少多出70%。
middle class:adj.中产阶级的;中层社会的; humankind:n.人类(总称);
And the latest prediction of the UN puts that population number, by the end of this century, at 11 billion, which means that we are going to need a lot more protein. 根据联合国的最新预测, 到这个世纪末,人口数量会来到110亿, 意思就是我们会需要相当多的蛋白质。
prediction:n.预报;预言;
This challenge is staggering -- so much so, that recently , a team at Anglia Ruskin Global Sustainability Institute suggested that if we don't change our global policies and food production systems, our societies might actually collapse in the next 30 years. 这个挑战很惊人-- 这么的多,所以最近, 安格利亚鲁斯金的全球可持续发展研究所的一个小组表示, 如果我们不改变 我们全球食物生产的政策, 我们的社会在下一个 30 年也许真的会崩溃。
staggering:adj.惊人的; v.蹒跚; (stagger的现在分词) recently:adv.最近;新近; Sustainability:n.持续性;永续性;能维持性; Institute:v.开始(调查);制定;创立;提起(诉讼);n.学会,协会;学院; policies:n.政策;方针;原则;为人之道;保险单(policy的复数) collapse:vi.倒塌;瓦解;暴跌;vt.使倒塌,使崩溃;使萎陷;折叠;n.倒塌;失败;衰竭;
Currently , our ocean serves as the main source of animal protein. 目前,我们的海洋是动物性蛋白质的主要来源。
Currently:adv.当前;一般地; source:n.来源;水源;原始资料;
Over 2.6 billion people depend on it every single day. 超过 26 亿人口,每天都要依赖它生活。
At the same time , our global fisheries are two-and-a-half times larger than what our oceans can sustainably support, meaning that humans take far more fish from the ocean than the oceans can naturally replace. 与此同时, 我们目前的全球渔获 是我们海洋可持续供应量的两倍半。 意思就是,人类从海洋取得的渔获 远远超过海洋本身的自然替换量。
At the same time:同时;另一方面;与此同时; fisheries:n.渔业;渔场(fishery的复数);捕鱼术;渔业公司; sustainably:adv.支撑得住;能保持住地; naturally:adv.自然地;自然而然地;轻而易举;天生地;大方地;
WWF recently published a report showing that just in the last 40 years, our global marine life has been slashed in half. WWF 世界野生动物基金会最近发表一篇报告指出近 40 年, 全球海洋生物数量已经被削减了一半。
marine:adj.海的;海产的;海生的;海船的;n.(尤指美国或英国皇家)海军陆战队士兵; slashed:v.削减(slash的过去式及过去分词);
And another recent report suggests that of our largest predatory species , such as swordfish and bluefin tuna, over 90 percent has disappeared since the 1950s. 另外最新一份报告表示,我们最大的捕食性鱼类, 像是剑鱼和蓝鰭鲔鱼, 从1950年代以来,超过 90% 已经消失。
predatory:adj.掠夺的,掠夺成性的;食肉的;捕食生物的; species:n.[生物]物种;种类; swordfish:n.箭鱼; bluefin:n.(蓝鳍)金枪鱼;作生鱼片的精品鱼肉; disappeared:adj.消失的;消失了的;v.消失,失踪;(disappear的过去式和过去分词)
And there are a lot of great, sustainable fishing initiatives across the planet working towards better practices and better-managed fisheries. 全球有很多规模很大,可持续水产创業家 正朝更好的实务经验与渔業管理迈进。
sustainable:adj.可以忍受的;足可支撑的;养得起的;可持续的; initiatives:n.积极性;主动权(initiative的复数);创始;
But ultimately , all of these initiatives are working towards keeping current catch constant. 但最终, 这些業者若一直保持不变的渔获量继续捕捞,
ultimately:adv.最终;最后;归根结底;终究;
It's unlikely , even with the best-managed fisheries, that we are going to be able to take much more from the ocean than we do today. 那么, 即使有最好的渔業管理, 我们也不太可能从海洋捕获 比现今更多的渔获量。
unlikely:adj.不大可能发生的;非心目中的;非想象的;难以相信的;
We have to stop plundering our oceans the way we have. 我们必须停止用同样的方式掠夺我们的海洋,
plundering:n.抢夺;战利品;掠夺品;vt.掠夺;抢劫;侵吞;vi.掠夺;盗窃;
We need to alleviate the pressure on it. 我们必须减轻海洋的压力。
alleviate:v.减轻,缓和;
And we are at a point where if we push much harder for more produce, we might face total collapse. 我们现在正在一个转捩点上, 如果我们为了更多的鱼获量而拼命捕获, 可能会面临全面性的崩盘。
Our current systems are not going to feed a growing global population. 我们目前的系统无法满足全球持续成长的人口。
So how do we fix this? 所以,我们要如何修正呢?
What's the world going to look like in just 35 short years when there's 2.7 billion more of us sharing the same resources ? 如果多出的 27 亿人口,享用同样的资源, 那么往后的35年,世界会变怎么样?
resources:n.[计][环境]资源; v.向…提供资金(resource的第三人称单数);
We could all become vegan . 我们可以都变成素食者。
vegan:n.(英)严格的素食主义者;adj.严守素食主义的;
Sounds like a great idea, but it's not realistic and it's impossibly hard to mandate globally. 听起来这主意不错, 但不实际, 而且根本不可能命令全世界人食素。
realistic:adj.现实的;现实主义的;逼真的;实在论的; impossibly:adv.不可能地;难以置信地;无法可想地; mandate:n.授权;命令,指令;委托管理;受命进行的工作;vt.授权;托管;
People are eating animal protein whether we like it or not. 不管我们喜不喜欢,人们仍旧食用动物性蛋白。
And suppose we fail to change our ways and continue on the current path, failing to meet demands. 假设我们不改变我们的方式, 继续走原路, 那肯定无法满足需求。
suppose:v.推断:假定:假设:设想:
The World Health Organization recently reported that 800 million people are suffering from malnutrition and food shortage , which is due to that same growing, global population and the declining access to resources like water, energy and land. WHO 全球卫生组织最近报告, 目前有 8 亿人口正苦于营养不良与食物短缺。 原因就是不断成长的全球人口, 及可用资源的下降,像是水、能源、土地。
Organization:n.组织;机构;体制;团体; malnutrition:n.营养失调,营养不良; shortage:n.短缺;不足;缺少; declining:v.减少;下降;衰弱;谢绝;婉言拒绝;(decline的现在分词)
It takes very little imagination to picture a world of global unrest , riots and further malnutrition. 用点想像力,就可以描绘出, 一个动荡、暴乱和更多营养不良的世界。
imagination:n.想象;想象力;创造力;想象的事物; unrest:n.不安;动荡的局面;不安的状态; riots:n.暴动(riot的复数);v.骚乱(riot的第三人称单数形式);闹事;
People are hungry, and we are running dangerously low on natural resources. 人们受饥饿, 而且,我们的自然资源快要用完。
dangerously:adv.危险地;不安全;
For so, so many reasons, we need to change our global food production systems. 因此,这么多的原因, 我们必须改变全球的食物生产系统。
We must do better and there is a solution . 我们必须做得更好, 而且有一个解决方案。
solution:n.解决方案;溶液;溶解;解答;
And that solution lies in aquaculture -- the farming of fish, plants like seaweed , shellfish and crustaceans . 而这个解决方案就是水产养殖-- 养殖鱼类、像海藻植物、贝类和甲壳类动物。
aquaculture:n.[水产]水产养殖;水产业; seaweed:n.海藻,海草; shellfish:n.甲壳类动物;贝类等有壳的水生动物; crustaceans:n.甲壳类;甲壳纲动物(crustacean的复数);
As the great ocean hero Jacques Cousteau once said, "We must start using the ocean as farmers instead of hunters. 伟大的海洋英雄Jacques Cousteau 曾经说过, 「我们现在对待海洋必须像个农夫一样,而不是猎人。
That's what civilization is all about -- farming instead of hunting." 这是身为公民应该做的事--养殖取代捕捞。」
civilization:n.文明;文明社会;文明世界;(特定时期和地区的)社会文明;
Fish is the last food that we hunt. 鱼类是我们最后才能猎杀的食物。
And why is it that we keep hearing phrases like, "Life's too short for farmed fish," 而为什么我们一直听到这些话,像是, 生命如此短促,不值得去养鱼。
or, " Wild-caught , of course!" 或者 当然要野生捕捉!
Wild-caught:野外捕获的;
over fish that we know virtually nothing about? 鱼的一生,我们几乎都不懂吧?
virtually:adv.事实上,几乎;实质上;
We don't know what it ate during its lifetime, and we don't know what pollution it encounters . 我们不知道它这一生中,吃了甚么, 我们也不知道,它受到了甚么污染,
encounters:v.遭遇(encounter的第三人称单数);邂逅;n.遭遇战(encounter的复数);相见;
And if it was a large predatory species, it might have gone through the coast of Fukushima yesterday. 如果它是大型的肉食种类, 它很有可能昨天才刚经过日本福岛的海岸。
We don't know. 我们不知道,
Very few people realize the traceability in fisheries never goes beyond the hunter that caught the wild animal. 很少人知道 渔業的追踪技术永远追不上 猎人打猎的技术技术。
traceability:n.[统计]可追溯性;跟踪能力;可描绘;
But let's back up for a second and talk about why fish is the best food choice. 让我们回到刚刚提到的话题, 并讲一下为甚么鱼是最好的食物选择?
It's healthy, it prevents heart disease , it provides key amino acids and key fatty acids like Omega-3s, which is very different from almost any other type of meat. 它对人类身体健康有益, 可以避免心脏疾病, 也是提供氨基酸的主要主要来源, 和主要脂肪酸 例如Omega-3 , 与其他种类的肉非常不一样,
disease:n.病,[医]疾病;弊病;vt.传染;使…有病; amino:adj.氨基的;n.[化学]氨基; fatty:adj.脂肪的;肥胖的;多脂肪的;脂肪过多的;n.胖子;
And aside from being healthy, it's also a lot more exciting and diverse . 更不用说吃了会健康, 而且它种类繁多,生气勃勃。
diverse:adj.不同的;多种多样的;变化多的;
Think about it -- most animal farming is pretty monotonous . 思考一下--大部分畜牧業都非常雷同单调乏味,
monotonous:adj.单调的,无抑扬顿挫的;无变化的;
Cow is cow, sheep is sheep, pig's pig, and poultry -- turkey, duck, chicken -- pretty much sums it up. 牛就是牛、羊就是羊、猪就是猪, 和家禽--火鸡、鸭、鸡--几乎就是这几样而已。
poultry:n.家禽;家禽肉; sums:n.算术题;总数;全部;v.归纳;总计;(sum的第三人称单数和复数)
And then there's 500 species of fish being farmed currently. 但目前大约有500种鱼类被养殖着。
not that Western supermarkets reflect that on their shelves, but that's beside that point. 并非西方社会超级市场架上展示的那一些产品, 但这不是重点。
reflect:v.反映;映出(影像);反射;表明,表达;
And you can farm fish in a very healthy manner that's good for us, good for the planet and good for the fish. 你可以用非常健康的方式养殖鱼类, 这对我们是有益的、对地球跟鱼类都是好的。
I know I sound fish-obsessed -- 我知道我听起来像个鱼痴--
(Laughter) (笑声)
Let me explain: 让我解释一下:
My brilliant partner and wife, Amy Novograntz, and I got involved in aquaculture a couple of years ago. 我聪明的太太,Amy Novograntz 和我, 几年前一起踏入水产养殖業。
involved:adj.有关的; v.涉及; (involve的过去式和过去分词)
We were inspired by Sylvia Earle, who won the TED Prize in 2009. 我们是受 Sylvia Earle 启发, 她是 2009 年TED的年度获奖者。
inspired:adj.受到启发的; v.鼓舞; (inspire的过去分词和过去式)
We actually met on Mission Blue I in the Galapagos. 我们实际是在 Galapagos 的蓝色 1 号任务相识。
Mission:n.使命,任务;代表团;布道;v.派遣;向…传教;
Amy was there as the TED Prize Director; me, an entrepreneur from the Netherlands and concerned citizen, love to dive, passion for the oceans. Amy是 TED 奖项的负责人; 我,一个来自荷兰的企業家,关心社会的公民, 喜欢潜水、热爱海洋。
entrepreneur:n.企业家;承包人;主办者; concerned:adj.有关的;关心的;v.关心;与…有关;(concern的过去时和过去分词) passion:n.激情;热情;酷爱;盛怒;
Mission Blue truly changed our lives. 蓝色任务真的改变了我们的生命,
We fell in love, got married and we came away really inspired, thinking we really want to do something about ocean conservation -- something that was meant to last, that could make a real difference and something that we could do together. 我们相恋、 结婚, 一路走来我们备受鼓舞, 并很想为海洋保护做点事情, 一些可足够维持、 能真正改变的事情, 一些我们可以一起做的事情。
conservation:n.保存,保持;保护;
Little did we expect that that would lead us to fish farming. 没想到这会引领我们来到鱼类养殖的领域。
But a few months after we got off the boat, we got to a meeting at Conservation International, where the Director General of WorldFish was talking about aquaculture, 但我们下船后几个月, 出席国际保护协会的一个聚会, 会上世界渔業总局的局长进行一次有关水产养殖的演讲,
Director General:n.总干事;理事长;署长;
asking a room full of environmentalists to stop turning from it, realize what was going on and to really get involved because aquaculture has the potential to be just what our oceans and populations need. 要求场内众多的环保人仕不要回避这个议题, 先了解发生了甚么事, 然后再投入参与, 因为水产养殖有潜力 同时满足大海与人类的需求。
environmentalists:n.环保人士;环保主义者;(environmentalist的复数形式) potential:n.潜能;可能性;[电]电势;adj.潜在的;可能的;势的;
We were stunned when we heard the stats that we didn't know more about this industry already and excited about the chance to help get it right. 当我们听到数字时,吓了一跳, 我们不知道这个产業已经到达这种种况, 而且对幫助这个产業扶正感到相当兴奋。
stunned:adj.震惊的; v.使昏迷; (stun的过去分词和过去式) stats:n.统计数据;统计学;
And to talk about stats -- right now, the amount of fish consumed globally, wild catch and farmed combined, is twice the tonnage of the total amount of beef produced on planet earth last year. 谈到统计数字-- 目前,全球鱼类的消费, 包括野生猎捕与养殖的, 去年全球的总吨数是牛肉的两倍,
consumed:adj.沉迷…的; v.消耗,耗费; (consume的过去分词和过去式) tonnage:n.吨位,载重量;船舶总吨数,排水量;
Every single fishing vessel combined,small and large, across the globe, together produce about 65 million tons of wild-caught seafood for human consumption. 全球的捕渔船,不管小的、大的加总起来 每年共要捕捞野生海鲜 6500 万吨供全人类消费。
vessel:n.器皿;轮船;脉管;大船; seafood:n.海鲜;海味;海产食品;
Aquaculture this year, for the first time in history, actually produces more than what we catch from the wild. 养殖渔業今年的产量, 从有历史纪录以来, 第一次突破我们从海洋捕捞的总量。
But now this: 但现在是这样:
Demand is going to go up. 需求一直上升,
In the next 35 years, we are going to need an additional 85 million tons to meet demand, which is one-and-a-half times as much, almost, as what we catch globally out of our oceans. 在未来的 35 年, 我们还需要额外的8500 万公吨来满足需求, 差不多是 1.5 倍于 我们从全球海洋捕捞的总重量,
additional:adj.附加的,额外的;
An enormous number. 相当大的数字,
enormous:adj.庞大的,巨大的;凶暴的,极恶的;
It's safe to assume that that's not going to come from the ocean. 可以肯定这些捕捞量不可能全部来自海洋。
assume:v.承担;假定;采取;呈现;
It needs to come from farming. 它需要来自养殖。
And talk about farming -- for farming you need resources. 而谈到养殖業-- 养殖也需要资源。
As a human needs to eat to grow and stay alive, so does an animal. 就像人类,需要每天吃东西长大维持生命一样, 所以动物也一样。
A cow needs to eat eight to nine pounds of feed and drink almost 8,000 liters of water to create just one pound of meat. 一只牛需要吃 8~9 磅 的飼料, 以及 8000 公升的水, 才能产出 1 磅的肉。
liters:n.(计量)公升(容量单位)(liter的复数)
Experts agree that it's impossible to farm cows for every inhabitant on this planet. 专家同意 利用养牛的方式来满足全球的需求是不可能的。
inhabitant:n.居民;居住者;
We just don't have enough feed or water. 我们根本没有足够的飼料与水源。
And we can't keep cutting down rain forests for it. 而且我们不能因此而砍掉雨林来满足这个需求。
And fresh water -- planet earth has a very limited supply. 还有新鲜的水--地球能提供的量相当有限。
limited:adj.有限的; n.高级快车; v.限制; (limit的过去分词和过去式)
We need something more efficient to keep humankind alive on this planet. 我们需要更高效率的东西 来让地球的人类生存。
efficient:adj.有效率的;有能力的;生效的;
And now let's compare that with fish farming. 现在,让我们用这个与水产养殖做比较。
compare:v.比较;对比;n.比较;
You can farm one pound of fish with just one pound of feed, and depending on species, even less. 你养殖一磅的鱼只需要一磅的飼料, 视乎不同的种类,有的甚至需要更少。
And why is that? 为什么会这样?
Well, that's because fish, first of all , float. 嗯,因为鱼毕竟是用飘浮的。
first of all:adv.首先;
They don't need to stand around all day resisting gravity like we do. 不用整天像我们一样站立,需要对抗地心引力。
resisting:adj.稳定的;坚固的;v.抵抗;忍住(resist的现在分词);
And most fish are cold-blooded -- they don't need to heat themselves. 而且大部分的鱼属于冷血动物-- 牠们不需要自己?起来。
cold-blooded:adj.[生理]冷血的;残酷的,无情的;怕冷的;
Fish chills . 鱼~冷!
chills:n.寒冷; v.使变冷;
(Laughter) (笑声)
And it needs very little water, which is counterintuitive , but as we say, it swims in it but it hardly drinks it. 而它只要非常少量的水, 这是违反常理, 但如我们所说的, 它在水里游,几乎不喝水的。
counterintuitive:adj.违反直觉的;
Fish are the most resource-efficient animal protein available to humankind,aside from insects. 除了昆虫,鱼也是人类摄取蛋白质最有资源效率的食物。
How much we've learned since. 我们目前了解多少?
For example, on top of that 65 million tons that's annually caught for human consumption, there's an additional 30 million tons caught for animal feed, 例如,除了每年有6500万吨的捕捞 供人类食用? 还有另外300万吨的捕捞供动物飼料,
annually:adv.每年;一年一次;
mostly sardines and anchovies for the aquaculture industry that's turned into fish meal and fish oil. 大部分的沙丁鱼和凤尾鱼,是供水产养殖業用的, 但现在转变成鱼粉和鱼油。
sardines:n.沙丁鱼(sardine的复数形式);沙丁油鱼; anchovies:n.凤尾鱼,鳀鱼;小银鱼(anchovy的复数形式);
This is madness. 这太疯狂了。
Sixty-five percent of these fisheries, globally, are badly managed. 全球 65% 的这些补鱼業者,大部分都管理不好。
Some of the worst issues of our time are connected to it. 我们这世代最糟糕的事件都与他们有关。
issues:n.重要议题;争论的问题;v.宣布;公布;发出;(issue的第三人称单数和复数)
It's destroying our oceans. 他们会毁掉我们的海洋。
The worst slavery issues imaginable are connected to it. 想像到的最骇人的奴工事件都与他们有关。
slavery:n.奴隶制;奴隶身份;蓄奴;adj.流口水的;被口水弄脏的; imaginable:adj.可能的;可想像的;
Recently, an article came out of Stanford saying that if 50 percent of the world's aquaculture industry would stop using fish meal, our oceans would be saved. 最近,一篇来自史丹福大学的文章 指出,如果 50% 的全球水产养殖業者 可以停止使用鱼粉, 我们的海洋就有救了。
Now think about that for a minute . 现在,思考一下。
for a minute:一会儿;
Now, we know that the oceans have far more problems -- they have pollution, there's acidification , coral reef destruction and so on. 我们知道海洋有一大堆问题-- 有污染、有酸化、 珊瑚礁破坏...等等。
acidification:n.[化学]酸化;成酸性;使…发酸; coral:n.珊瑚;珊瑚虫;adj.珊瑚的;珊瑚色的; reef:礁,礁脉 destruction:n.破坏,毁灭;摧毁;
But it underlines the impact of our fisheries, and it underlines how interconnected everything is. 但它突显了对我们渔業的影响、 它也突显了对每件事相互牵连的的影响。
underlines:v.加下划线(underline的第三人称单数形式);n.下划线(underline的复数); impact:n.影响;效果;碰撞;冲击力;v.挤入,压紧;撞击;对…产生影响; interconnected:adj.连通的;有联系的;v.互相连接(interconnect的过去式);
Fisheries, aquaculture, deforestation , climate change, food security and so on. 渔業、水产养殖、森林滥伐、 气候变化、食物安全...等等。
deforestation:n.采伐森林;森林开伐;
In the search for alternatives , the industry, on a massive scale , has reverted to plant-based alternatives like soy, industrial chicken waste, blood meal from t color="Black"> slaughterhouses and so on. 鱼产業为了寻找替代品, 大规模地 已经恢复到以植物为基础的替代品, 像是大豆、产業鸡粪、 来自屠宰场的血粉 ...等等。
alternatives:n.可供选择的事物;(alternative的复数) massive:adj.大量的;巨大的,厚重的;魁伟的; scale:n.规模;比例;鳞;刻度;天平;数值范围;v.衡量;攀登;剥落;生水垢; reverted:回复; slaughterhouses:n.屠宰场(等于abattoir);屠杀场;
And we understand where these choices come from, but this is not the right approach . 而我们知道这些选择来自哪里, 但这不是正确的方法,
approach:n.方法;路径;v.接近;建议;着手处理;
It's not sustainable, it's not healthy. 这样不稳定。 不健康。
Have you ever seen a chicken at the bottom of the ocean? 你有看过鸡在海底的吗?
Of course not. 当然没有,
If you feed salmon soy with nothing else, it literally explodes . 如果你只喂大豆给鲑鱼吃, 它会直接爆炸。
salmon:n.鲑鱼;大马哈鱼;鲑肉色;鲑鱼肉;橙红色,粉橙色;adj.浅澄色的; literally:adv.按字面:字面上:确实地: explodes:v.爆炸,爆发;激增;
Salmon is a carnivore , it has no way to digest soy. 因为鲑鱼是肉食性动物, 他没有办法消化大豆。
carnivore:n.[动]食肉动物;食虫植物; digest:n.摘要;文摘;概要;汇编;v.消化;领会;领悟;理解;
Now, fish farming is by far the best animal farming available to humankind. 目前为止,鱼类养殖是人类 最佳的动物养殖方式。
But it's had a really bad reputation. 但是声誉欠佳,
There's been excessive use of chemicals , there's been virus and disease transfered to wild populations, ecosystem destruction and pollution, escaped fish breeding with wild populations, altering the overall genetic pool, and then of course, as just mentioned, the unsustainable feed ingredients . 过量使用化学品, 已经把病毒和疾病传染给野生的动种、 做成生态破坏和污染, 逃避使用野生物种进行喂食 改变了整体的基因庫、 然后,当然,如刚刚提的, 不稳定的喂食成分。
excessive:adj.过多的,极度的;过分的; chemicals:n.化学制品;化学品;(chemical的复数) transfered:v.转移;转让(财产等);迁移(transfer的过去式); ecosystem:n.生态系统; breeding:n.繁殖;饲养;教养;再生;v.生产;培育;使…繁殖;(breed的现在分词) altering:n.变更;v.变更(alter的现在分词); overall:v.全部; n.外套; adj.全面的; genetic:adj.基因的;遗传学的; unsustainable:adj.无法支撑的;不可证实的;不能成立的; ingredients:n.成分;(尤指烹饪)原料;(成功的)要素;(ingredient的复数)
How blessed were the days when we could just enjoy food that was on our plate, whatever it was. 当我们可以享受盘里的美食时, 那会是多么幸福的一天啊! 无论它是甚么都没关系!
blessed:adj.神圣的; v.求上帝降福于; (bless的过去分词和过去式)
Once you know, you know. 一但你懂、你了解。
You can't go back. 你就回不去了、
It's not fun. 这并不好笑。
We really need a transparent food system that we can trust, that produces healthy food. 我们需要一个值得信赖的透明食物系统。 可以生产健康食品。
transparent:adj.透明的;显然的;坦率的;易懂的;
But the good news is that decades of development and research have led to a lot of new technologies and knowledge that allow us to do a lot better. 但,好消息是, 几十年来的研究发展 已经创造了很多的新科技及知识, 可以让我们做得更好。
technologies:n.技术;科技(technology的复数);
We can now farm fish without any of these issues. 我们现在可以无后顾之忧的养殖鱼类。
I think of agriculture before the green revolution -- we are at aquaculture and the blue revolution. 我在绿色革命之前就思考过水产养殖-- 我们正处在水产業及蓝色革命的点上。
revolution:n.革命;旋转;运行;循环;
New technologies means that we can now produce a feed that's perfectly natural, with a minimal footprint that consists of microbes , insects, seaweeds and micro-algae. 新的科技技术意味着, 我们现在可以用最少的生态需要面积, 来生产由微生物、昆虫、海藻、 微型藻所组成的纯天然飼料,
minimal:adj.最低的;最小限度的; footprint:n.足迹;脚印; consists:v.由…构成;由…组成(consist的三单形式); microbes:n.细菌,[微]微生物;微生物类(microbe的复数形式); seaweeds:n.[植]海藻(seaweed的复数);海藻类;
Healthy for the people, healthy for the fish, healthy for the planet. 它们对人体是健康的。 它们对鱼类是健康的, 对地球也是健康的。
Microbes, for example, can be a perfect alternative for high-grade fish meal --at scale. 例如,微生物 如果大规模生产,可以成为一个完美的高檔鱼飼料替代品。
high-grade:adj.高级的;优质的;
Insects are the -- well, first of all, the perfect recycling because they're grown on food waste; but second, think of fly-fishing , and you know how logical it actually is to use it as fish feed. 昆虫是-- 是的,首先,它可以循环再生, 因为它们是吃厨余长大的; 但第二, 想一下飞蝇钓, 你就知道为什么它其实可以成为鱼飼料的原因。
recycling:n.(资源,垃圾的)回收利用;v.回收;再循环利用(recycle的现在分词); fly-fishing:n.用假蝇钓鱼;v.用假蝇钓鱼(fly-fish的ing形式); logical:adj.合逻辑的,合理的;逻辑学的;
You don't need large tracts of land for it and you don't need to cut down rain forests for it. 你不需要为它找大片土地, 你也不用为它砍掉大片雨林。
tracts:n.神经束;广阔的地面(tract的复数);
And microbes and insects are actually net water producers. 而微生物及昆虫实际上就是网路水制造者。
This revolution is starting as we speak, it just needs scale. 就如我们所说的,这个革命已经开始, 它只需要大规模生产。
We can now farm far more species than ever before in controlled, natural conditions, creating happy fish. 我们可以比过去养殖更多的种类, 而且是在受管控、天然条件下制造开心的鱼。
I imagine, for example, a closed system that's performing more efficiently than insect farming, where you can produce healthy, happy, delicious fish with little or no effluent , almost no energy and almost no water and a natural feed with a minimal footprint. 我在想、例如, 一个比养殖昆虫表现更有效率的封闭系统, 让你可以产出健康、开心、好吃的鱼, 用一个只有一点点或无污染、 几乎不需要能源及水、 最少的生态面积的自然喂食方式。
performing:adj.表演的;演奏的;v.做;执行;演出;运转(perform的现在分词) efficiently:adv.有效地;效率高地(efficient的副词形式); effluent:n.污水;流出物;废气;adj.流出的,发出的;
Or a system where you grow up to 10 species next to each other -- off of each other, mimicking nature. 或者你可以养殖一个模仿自然, 一个接一个的 10 种品种以上的系统。
mimicking:v.模仿人的言行举止;做滑稽模仿;像,似;(mimic的现在分词)
You need very little feed, very little footprint. 你只需要非常少的喂食, 非常少的生态面积。
I think of seaweed growing off the effluent of fish, for example. 例如,我有想到海藻与鱼共生的封闭系统。
There's great technologies popping up all over the globe. 全球有很多伟大的科技陆续推出。
From alternatives to battle disease so we don't need antibiotics and chemicals anymore, to automated feeders that feel when the fish are hungry, so we can save on feed and create less pollution. 从替代方式到对抗疾病, 那我们就再也不需要抗生素或化学药剂, 到自动喂食系统,它可以感觉到鱼甚么时候会饿, 如此我们就可以减少喂食,并制造更少的污染。
antibiotics:n.抗菌素;抗生素(如青霉素);(antibiotic的复数) automated:adj.自动化的;v.(使)自动化;(automate的过去式和过去分词) feeders:n.饲养者;供料器(feeder的复数);
Software systems that gather data across farms, so we can improve farm practices. 软体系统收集整个鱼田的资料, 让我们可以改善养殖的实务流程。
improve:v.改进;改善;
There's really cool stuff happening all over the globe. 全世界真的有很多很酷的东西在发生。
stuff:n.东西:物品:基本特征:v.填满:装满:标本:
And make no mistake -- all of these things are possible at a cost that's competitive to what a farmer spends today. 但请别误会--今日这些事情是有可能让一个养殖業者 在有竞争力的成本下完成的。
competitive:adj.竞争的;比赛的;求胜心切的;
Tomorrow, there will be no excuse for anyone to not do the right thing. 明天,每个人就没有理由说不做正确的事。
So somebody needs to connect the dots and give these developments a big kick in the butt . 所以有些人需要整合这些连结点, 并给这些发展在屁股上用力一踢。
butt:n.屁股;烟头;笑柄;靶垛;粗大的一端;v.以头抵撞;碰撞;
And that's what we've been working on the last couple of years, and that's what we need to be working on together -- rethinking everything from the ground up , with a holistic view across the value chain, connecting all these things across the globe, alongside great entrepreneurs that are willing to share a collective vision . 而这就是我们最近几年在做的事, 这也是我们需要一起工作的原因-- 从最基础开始,重新思考每件事, 用一个横跨整个价值链的历史角度去思考, 跟随愿意分享共同愿景的 伟大企業家, 把全世界这些事情连结起来。
rethinking:n.反思;v.重新考虑(rethink的现在分词); everything from the ground up:一切从零开始; holistic:adj.整体的;全盘的; entrepreneurs:n.企业家;(entrepreneur的复数) collective:adj.集体的;共同的;集合的;集体主义的;n.集团;集合体;集合名词; vision:n.视力;美景;幻象;想象力;v.想象;显现;梦见;
Now is the time to create change in this industry and to push it into a sustainable direction. 现在就是改变这个产業的最佳刻, 并把它推向一个永续发展的方向。
This industry is still young, much of its growth is still ahead. 这个产業仍然很年轻, 前头仍有很大的成长空间。
It's a big task, but not as far-fetched as you might think. 这是个大任务,但没有你想像的那么遥远。
far-fetched:adj.强词夺理的;太牵强了;
It's possible. 它是有可能的。
So we need to take pressure off the ocean. 所以我们需要释放海洋的压力。
We want to eat good and healthy. 我们希望吃得好,吃得健康。
And if we eat an animal, it needs to be one that had a happy and healthy life. 如果我们要吃动物, 它必须是那个拥有开心及健康生命的动物。
We need to have a meal that we can trust, live long lives. 我们需要口分值得信赖的一餐, 让我们可以活得久。
And this is not just for people in San Francisco or Northern Europe -- this is for all of us. 而这不仅是为了旧金山或北欧人民-- 这是为我们所有人。
Even in the poorest countries, it's not just about money. 甚至是最贫穷的国家, 这与金钱无关。
People prefer something fresh and healthy that they can trust over something that comes from far away that they know nothing about. 人们喜欢他们信得过、新鲜健康的东西, 远胜于来自远方他们完全不懂得东西。
prefer:v.更喜欢;宁愿;提出;提升;
We're all the same . 我们都一样。
all the same:仍然:依然:照样:
The day will come where people will realize -- no, demand -- farmed fish on their plate that's farmed well and that's farmed healthy -- and refuse anything less. 那一天会到来, 人们将会了解,并要求,餐碟上是养殖鱼类 那是养得好、养得健康的鱼。 并拒绝任何不健康的东西。
You can help speed this up. 你可以幫助这件事情加速发展。
Ask questions when you order seafood. 当你要点海鲜时,记得问问题。
Where does my fish come from? 我的鱼是来自哪里?
Who raised it, and what did it eat? 谁养的? 它吃了甚么?
Information about where your fish comes from and how it was produced needs to be much more readily available. 有关于你的鱼的来源以及它如何生产出来的资讯, 需要很容易取得。
readily:adv.容易地;乐意地;无困难地;
And consumers need to put pressure on the aquaculture industry to do the right thing. 而消费者需要施加更多的压力在水产养殖業上, 给予水产养殖業他们去做正确的事。
consumers:n.消费者;顾客;用户;(consumer的复数)
So every time you order, ask for detail and show that you really care about what you eat and what's been given to you. 所以,每次你点餐时, 问清楚细节, 并展现出你真的很在意你吃的是甚么 以及他们给你的是甚么。
And eventually , they will listen. 最后,他们会听进去。
eventually:adv.最后,终于;
And all of us will benefit. 而大家都会受惠,
Thank you. 谢谢。
(Applause) (掌声)