返回首页

MikeKinney_2017S-_一个职業摔角手的信心指南_

Picture it: a big, sweaty , tattooed man in a cowboy hat and chaps , is in the ring as the arena full of fans cheer him on. 想像一下,一个高大、 满身是汗、刺青的男人, 戴着牛仔帽穿着牛仔皮裤, 站在竞技场里, 满场的观众为他欢呼。
sweaty:adj.出汗的;吃力的;使人出汗的; tattooed:v.将花纹刺在…上;给…文身;(tattoo的过去分词和过去式) cowboy hat:n.(美国牛仔戴的)牛仔帽; chaps:n.皮套裤(指皮护腿套裤); arena:n.舞台;竞技场;
Their hero: "Cowboy" Gator Magraw. 他们的英雄: 「牛仔」鳄鱼麦克罗。
Gator:n.短吻鳄;
Gator bounces off the ropes and is quickly body-slammed to the mat. 鳄鱼利用边绳反弹, 很快就被抱举重摔在垫上。
His wild opponent leaps into the air, crashing down onto Gator's rib cage. 他狂野的对手跳到空中, 向下撞击鳄鱼的肋骨。
opponent:n.对手;竞争者;反对者;阻止者;adj.反对的; leaps:n.跳跃,剧增,急变(leap的复数);v.跳跃;急速进步(leap的三单形式); rib:n.肋骨; v.嘲笑;
Gator struggles to breathe, wondering: "Is this really what my father wanted for me?" 鳄鱼挣扎地呼吸,心想: 「我老爸真的希望我这样吗?」
(Laughter) (笑声)
That wild man in the chaps ... 那个穿着牛仔皮裤的狂野男人
was me. 就是我。
(Laughter) (笑声)
(Applause) (掌声)
(Cheers) (欢呼)
And the answer to the question, surprisingly , is yes. 而那个问题的答案,出乎意料, 是「没错」。
surprisingly:adv.令人惊讶地;出乎意料地
(Laughter) (笑声)
I grew up watching professional wrestling with my dad. 我是看职業摔角长大的, 和老爸一起看。
professional:adj.专业的;职业的;职业性的;n.专业人员;职业运动员; wrestling:n.摔跤运动;v.摔跤;奋力对付;全力解决;(wrestle的现在分词)
And like him, I loved everything about it: the showmanship , the athletic skill, the drama . 和他一样,我热爱摔角的一切: 表演能力、运动员技巧、 戏剧性。
showmanship:n.表演技巧;吸引观众的窍门; athletic:adj.健壮的;体育运动的;田径运动的 drama:n.戏剧;戏剧艺术;戏剧文学;戏剧性事件;
I'd be this little boy, bouncing all over our living room , pretending to be my favorite wrestlers from TV. 我是这个在客厅里弹来弹去的男孩, 假装是电视上我最爱的摔角手。
living room:n.客厅;起居室; wrestlers:n.摔角选手(wrestler的复数);
My dad actually reminded me a little bit of Hulk Hogan , but I was Hulk Hogan and he was Andre the Giant. 我老爸其实会让我想到霍克霍肯, 但我才是霍克霍肯, 他是巨人安德烈。
reminded:v.提醒;使想起;(remind的过去分词和过去式) Hulk:n.废船;笨重的船;船体;vi.庞然大物般出现;赫然显现; Hogan:n.泥盖木屋;
I'd get all serious on him and say things like, "Dad ... 我对他变得很认真,说:「老爸,
someday I am going to be world heavyweight champion." 总有一天,我要成为 世界重量级冠军。」
I am going to be:我将成为什么(样的人) heavyweight:n.重量级拳击手;有影响的人物;聪明绝顶的人;adj.重量级的;特别厚重的;
And he would usually smile and very calmly say, "OK, then I guess I can count on you to be my retirement fund ." 通常,他会微笑,并很冷静地说: 「好,那么,我想 我的退休金就靠你了。」
calmly:adv.冷静地;平静地;安静地; retirement:n.退休;退职;退休年龄;退休生活; fund:n.基金;资金;存款;v.投资;资助;
(Laughter) (笑声)
When I was 16, a small wrestling show came to my little town in Minnesota . 我十六岁时, 有个小型的摔角表演, 来到我住的明尼苏达小镇。
Minnesota:n.明尼苏达州(美国中北部洲);
I couldn't believe it. 我无法置信。
Nothing like that had ever come to my town before. 从来没有像那样的演出 会来我的小镇。
So I got to the arena early in the morning the day of the show, waiting out in the parking lot to see if I could spot some wrestlers pulling up in their cars. 所以,演出当天一早 我就去了竞技场, 等在外面的停车场, 碰运气看能不能遇见一些
parking lot:n.停车场;
It wasn't as creepy as it sounds. 并没有听起来那么诡异。
creepy:adj.令人毛骨悚然的;爬行的;
But I could definitely tell who the wrestlers were, just the way they walked. 我绝对能分辨谁是摔角手, 仅仅靠观察他们走路的方式。
definitely:adv.清楚地,当然;明确地,肯定地;
They were tall and confident and intimidating , with their tank tops and Zubaz and fanny packs. 他们又高又有自信,令人生畏, 穿着背心式上衣、 斑马裤、戴着腰包,
confident:adj.自信的;确信的; intimidating:adj.吓人的;令人胆怯的;v.恐吓;威胁;(intimidate的现在分词) fanny:n.(口)屁股,臀部;n.(禁忌语)女性阴部,女性生殖器;
Why wouldn't I want to be them? 我怎么可能不想变成他们?
(Laughter) (笑声)
All I could think about was who are these people, and what are they like? 我唯一能想的就是,这些人是谁、 他们是怎样的?
How did they become wrestlers? 他们如何变成摔角手的?
So before the show started, 在表演开始前,
I walked into this tiny arena -- more like a gymnasium -- and I asked them if I could help set up the wrestling ring. 我走进这个很小的竞技场── 更像是个体育馆── 我问他们能不能让我 幫忙架设摔角场。
gymnasium:n.体育馆;健身房;
'"Sure, kid. No problem." 「当然,孩子,没问题。」
And then I pleaded with them to show me some wrestling moves. 接着,我恳求他们 做些摔角动作给我看。
pleaded:v.辩护(plead的过去式);
'"Sure, kid. No problem." 「当然,孩子,没问题。」
Man, they would just punch and kick me -- hard! 天哪,他们就直接 揍我、踢我──很用力!
punch:n.冲床; v.拳打; (用打孔器等)打孔;
But I never complained . 但我都没抱怨。
complained:v.抱怨;埋怨;发牢骚;(complain的过去分词和过去式)
They would come to my town for one night every couple of months that year, and then -- poof ! -- next day, they were gone. 那年,他们每几个月 就会来我的镇上一个晚上, 接着──噗(消散声)── 他们隔天就不见了。
poof:n.吹熄蜡烛的声音;int.哇(表示突然消失的)感叹词;
By the next year, they finally told me about an actual wrestling training camp that one of the wrestlers was running, and I begged my parents to sign me up. 隔年, 他们终于告诉我 一个真正的摔角训练营, 是其中一位摔角手经营的, 我求我父母让我报名。
finally:adv.终于;最终;(用于列举)最后;彻底地;
Next thing I knew, I was a high school senior by day and wrestling in front of live audiences by night. 突然间,我就变成了 白天是高中高年级生, 晚上则在现场观众面前摔角。
senior:adj.大;级别(或地位)高的;成人的;高级水平的;n.上级;上司;较…年长的人;
I had this giant poster of an alligator hanging on my bedroom wall. 我卧房墙壁上挂了 一只鳄鱼的巨型海报。
poster:n.海报;巨幅装饰画;发布消息的人; alligator:n.短吻鳄;钝吻鳄
So when I needed to come up with a wrestling name at the last minute and Jesse "The Body" Ventura was already taken -- 我很急迫地需要想出一个摔角艺名, 杰西「筋肉人」温图拉 已经有人用了──
come up with:提出;想出;赶上;
(Laughter) (笑声)
I went with "Gator." 我就用了「鳄鱼」。
I also wrestled in a t-shirt and camouflage pants because that's what I had in my closet . 我也穿着 T 恤和迷彩裤在摔角, 因为我的衣柜中只有这些。
wrestled:v.摔跤;奋力对付;全力解决;(wrestle的过去分词和过去式) camouflage:n.伪装,掩饰;vt.伪装,掩饰;vi.伪装起来; closet:n.贮藏室;壁橱adj.隐藏(身份等)的;v.把…关在房间里;
I hadn't quite figured out how to develop my own persona yet, but I was learning. 我还没想到要如何 发展出我自己的角色, 但我在学习。
persona:n.人物角色;伪装的外表;
It was sort of like an apprenticeship . 那有点像是学徒见习。
apprenticeship:n.学徒期;学徒身分;
But I was a wrestler. 但我是个摔角手。
And my dad would come to all my matches wearing a t-shirt that said, "Papa Gator" across the front. 我老爸会来看我所有的比赛, 他穿的 T 恤正面 写着「鳄鱼爸爸」。
(Laughter) (笑声)
And he'd brag to his friends about how his son was going to pay for his retirement someday. 他会向他的朋友炫耀, 说有一天他退休就靠他儿子养了。
brag:n.吹牛,自夸;v.吹牛,自夸;
(Laughter) (笑声)
And I would've. 我的确会养他的。
Not long after I started wrestling, my dad unexpectedly passed away. 我开始摔角后没多久, 我老爸意外过世了。
unexpectedly:adv.出乎意料地,意外地;
And as you can imagine, especially as a teenage boy, it destroyed me. 你们应该可以想像, 特别我才是个青少年, 这件事毁了我。
especially:adv.尤其;特别;格外;十分;
If you've ever lost someone, you know what a difficult time that can be. 如果你曾失去过某人, 你知道那段时间会有多艰难。
Your mind -- it's not working right. 你的大脑无法正常运作。
The whole thing is just so surreal . 一切感觉好不真实。
surreal:adj.超现实主义的;离奇的;不真实的;
I wanted to feel normal again, even if it was for just a second, so I went back to wrestling almost immediately. 我想要再次感觉正常, 即使只有一秒钟也好, 所以我回去摔角,几乎是立刻回去。
Wrestling belonged to me and my dad, you know? 摔角是属于我和我老爸的,懂吗?
So there I was, sitting in the locker room , getting ready for a match within days of my dad passing away. 所以,我在那里, 坐在更衣室里, 在我老爸过世后没几天 就在准备比赛。
locker room:n.更衣室;
He was gone. 他不在了。
And sitting there alone -- it felt like I was hiding. 独自坐在那里── 感觉好像我在躲藏。
But it also felt like I needed to be there. 但我也觉得我需要在那里。
One of the wrestlers who'd been on the scene a long time knew what I was going through, and he came over to see how I was holding up . 长时间在现场的一位摔角手 知道我经历了什么, 他过来看看我的状况好不好。
holding up:举起;阻挡;拦截(holdup的现在分词形式);
I couldn't get the words out. 我一个字也说不出来。
I just said, "I don't know what I'm doing." 我只说:「我不知道我在做什么。」
And then we just sat there in silence -- just ... silence. 我们就沉默地坐在那里── 仅是沉默着。
in silence:沉默地;
Before he got up to get ready for his own match, he gave me this piece of advice that would change the entire direction of my life. 在他起身去准备他的比赛之前, 他给了我一个建议, 完全改变了我人生的方向。
He told me the best wrestlers are just themselves, but "turned up." 他说最好的摔角手只做自己, 但是「全力发挥」。
He said successful wrestlers find the traits within themselves they're the strongest at and make those the focus of who they become in the ring. 他说,成功的摔角手 在他们自己的内在 找到他们最强的特质, 然后在场内就专注展现那些特质。
traits:n.特性,特质,性格(trait的复数);
So there I sat -- a scared teenager who didn't know who he was or why he was even wrestling anymore. 所以,我坐在那里── 一个害怕的青少年, 不知道自己是谁, 不再知道他为什么要摔角了。
I looked around the locker room at some of the other wrestlers, and I thought, "I look so different. How can I ever be like them?" 我环视了更衣室,看着其他摔角手, 心想: 「我看起来好不同。 我怎么可能变成像他们一样。」
And then it hit me. 我突然意识到,
That's the moment I realized I didn't have to be like them. 那一刻,我了解到, 我不需要像他们。
What I did have to do was find out: What did it mean to be me? 我要做的是找出: 身为我的意义是什么?
What made me unique , and how could I use it to my advantage ? 是什么让我独一无二、 我又要如何把它变成我的优势?
unique:adj.独特的,稀罕的;[数]唯一的;n.独一无二的人或物; advantage:n.有利条件:优势:优点:
I knew I wasn't a chiseled athlete like some of these guys, but I really didn't care. 我知道我不并像一些人 是天生的运动员, 但我不在乎。
chiseled:adj.轮廓分明的;凿刻的;v.镌刻;用凿子刻(chisel的过去分词); athlete:n.运动员,体育家;身强力壮的人;
So the first thing I thought was, "How can I amplify something as simple as: comfortable with my own body?" 我想到的第一件事是: 「我如何扩大像『对我自己的身体 感到舒服』这么简单的事?」
amplify:vt.放大,扩大;增强;详述;vi.详述;
I didn't know. 我不知道。
And then I thought: 接着我想到:
Speedo . 泳装。
Speedo:n.速度计;速率计;
(Laughter) (笑声)
(Applause) (掌声)
Or "trunks," 或「平口四角短裤」,
as we call them in wrestling. 在摔角中我们称之为「trunks」。
Yeah, trunks. 是的,平口四角短裤。
I could be this big guy who was comfortable wearing these little trunks in front of a bunch of strangers. 我这个大个子 可以自自在在穿着四角短裤 呈现在一群陌生人面前。
a bunch of:一群;一束;一堆;
So I ditched the t-shirt and camouflage pants, and Gator's new wardrobe was born. 所以我扔了 T 恤和迷彩裤, 鳄鱼的新戏服就诞生了。
ditched:v.摆脱;抛弃;丢弃;迫降;(ditch的过去分词和过去式) wardrobe:n.衣柜;衣橱;(英国)放置衣物的壁橱;(一个人的)全部衣物;
(Laughter) (笑声)
I was also pretty good at drawing cartoons, so I wondered if I could turn that up. 我也很擅长画卡通, 所以我好奇是否能发挥这点。
I could design my own wrestling costumes , so each pair of trunks would have its own unique design and color, all of them completely different -- and extremely comfortable, by the way . 我可以设计自己的摔角服装, 所以每一件四角短裤都有 它自己独特的设计和颜色, 每一件都完完全全不同── 顺道一提,它们穿起来也极舒服。
costumes:n.服装,装束; v.给(某人)穿上特殊服装; (costume的第三人称单数和复数) extremely:adv.非常,极其;极端地; by the way:顺便说一下;
(Laughter) (笑声)
And I was also the funny kid in school, believe it or not. 我在学校也是负责搞笑的人, 信不信由你。
So I thought maybe I could turn that up. 所以我心想,也许我可以发挥这点。
Maybe I could go from the boy who made his buddies laugh to the man who could rally hundreds or thousands. 也许我可以从一个逗伙伴笑的男孩, 转变成能够团结成千上百人的男人。
buddies:n.伙伴,好朋友;v.交朋友;(buddy的第三人称单数和复数) rally:v.团结;重整;恢复;(网球等)连续对打;n.集会;回复;公路赛车会;
So I committed to the idea that my character wasn't going to be as scary as some of the others. 所以我投身到这个 「我的角色不会像其他一些 角色那么吓人」的想法当中。
committed:adj.坚信的; v.做出错事; (commit的过去分词和过去式)
I'd be hilarious from the moment I walked into the arena. 我走上竞技场的那一刻起, 我就会是滑稽的。
hilarious:adj.欢闹的;非常滑稽的;喜不自禁的;
With every wrestling match, I dug deeper. 随着每一场摔角比赛,我投入更多。
I found out that I could laugh at myself. 我发现我可以笑我自己。
So this guy would dance and sing his entrance music all the way to the ring. 所以,这个家伙会一路唱唱跳跳 自己的主题曲进场。
That was dancing, by the way. 对了,我刚那是在跳舞。
(Laughter) (笑声)
I found out that I was an OK wrestler, but I was an even better entertainer . 我发现我是个还可以的摔角手, 但我是个更棒的表演者。
entertainer:n.演艺人员,表演者;
And turning myself up made me unforgettable to the fans. 而自我发挥的结果 是粉丝对我难以忘怀。
unforgettable:adj.难忘的;
I was trying to find those things about me -- the simple things that were special, and then ask, "How can I turn them up?" 我在试图找到我的特质── 简单但特别的特质, 接着来问:「我要如何发挥它们?」
Now, I knew I wanted my character to be a man's man like my dad was. 我知道我希望我的角色 是像老爸那种男人中的男人。
I thought, "What's more of a man's man than a cowboy?" 我心想:「有什么比牛仔 还更能代表男人中的男人?」
And that's when Gator became "Cowboy" ... Gator ... 从此,鳄鱼就变成了 「牛仔」鳄鱼 ......
Yeah, I needed a last name . 是啊,我需要个姓氏。
last name:n.姓;姓氏;
I thought about it until my head hurt. I couldn't come up with anything. 我想到头都痛了,仍然想不出来。
I'm sitting there watching TV one night, flipping through the channels, and this commercial comes on about a country singer who had just won an Entertainer of the Year award. 有天晚上,坐着看电视,随意转台, 看到了一个广告, 内容是刚刚赢得 年度表演者奖的乡村歌手。
flipping:v.该死; v.(使)快速翻转; (flip的现在分词) commercial:adj.贸易的;商业的;赢利的;以获利为目的的;n.(电台或电视播放的)广告;
Tim McGraw. 提姆麦克罗。
He's a cool cowboy with a great last name. 他是个酷牛仔,姓氏又很好听。
And I liked his music. 且我喜欢他的音乐。
It was just all part of my process . 这都是我的过程的一部份。
process:v.处理;加工;列队行进;n.过程,进行;方法,adj.经过特殊加工(或处理)的;
But I just kept turning myself up until I became Cowboy Gator Magraw! 但我就不断地自我发挥, 直到我成为牛仔鳄鱼麦克罗!
(Laughter) (笑声)
(Applause) (掌声)
And I knew that if I kept turning myself up and pushing myself harder, the opportunities would come. 我知道如果我不断自我发挥, 更用力逼我自己, 机会就会来临。
And then it finally happened. 而它终于发生了。
In the middle of the night, 在大半夜,
I got a phone call. 我接到一通电话。
It was the call I wish my dad was around to hear. 是那通我希望我老爸 能在旁边一起听的电话。
The WWE, the biggest wrestling organization in the world, wanted me to come and be a part of Monday Night Raw. WWE(世界摔角娱乐), 世界最大的摔角组织, 想要我去担任星期一晚上 节目中的一个角色。
organization:n.组织;机构;体制;团体;
Yes -- all of my hard work and miles on the road were finally paying off. 是的,我所有的努力 和走过的路终于都有回报了。
I got to walk down the WWE Raw entrance ramp on live television -- 我得以在电视直播中走在 WWE 节目的进场坡道上──
ramp:n.斜坡,坡道;敲诈;vi.蔓延;狂跳乱撞;敲诈;vt.敲诈;使有斜面;
(Laughter) (笑声)
dressed up as a fake security guard -- 穿得像是个假保安人员──
fake:n.假货;骗子;假动作;v.捏造;假装…的样子;adj.伪造的; security guard:保安人员;
(Laughter) (笑声)
to escort another wrestler to the ring. 护送另一位摔角手到场上。
escort:n.陪同;护航舰;护卫队;护送者;v.护送;陪同;为…护航;
(Laughter) (笑声)
Sure, I was disappointed I didn't get to wrestle, but very few wrestlers get any kind of call from the WWE. 当然,我很失望,我没上台摔角, 但很少有摔角手能接到 WWE 那样子的电话。
Maybe one in a few hundred. 也许几百人中才有一人。
And becoming Cowboy Gator Magraw is what got me there. 是因为变成牛仔鳄鱼麦克罗 才让我走到这一步。
So instead of walking away that day, 所以那天,我并没有一走了之,
I decided to turn myself up again and become the best security guard I could. 我决定再一次自我发挥, 极尽所能扮演最好的保安人员。
In fact, I did it so well, 事实上,我做得太好了,
I was the only guard to get a close-up on TV that night. 我是唯一在电视上 有特写镜头的保安人员。
close-up:n.[电影]特写镜头,特写;小传;
That's a big deal , you know? 这很了不起,你们知道吗?
a big deal:na.要人;重要的事;
(Laughter) (笑声)
And I got to sit backstage that entire day with some of the most famous pro wrestlers in the world, some of which were heroes of mine as a kid. 那整天,我得以坐在后台, 和一些世界最知名的 职業摔角手在一起, 有些是我儿时的英雄。
backstage:adv.在后台;向后台;
And I got to listen to them and learn from them, and for that day, 我得以倾听他们、向他们学习, 而那一天,
I was accepted as one of them. 我被接受成为他们的一份子。
Maybe my experience with the WWE wasn't ideal. 也许我在 WWE 的 经历并不是很理想。
I mean, I didn't get to wrestle. 我是指,我没上台摔角。
But it made me work harder, turning myself up louder year after year . 但那让我更努力, 一年又一年,把我自己发挥到更好。
year after year:年复一年地;每年;
I was becoming the biggest version of myself in the ring, and other people took notice. 我在场上变成了我自己最棒的版本, 而其他人注意到了。
Before I knew it, 在我察觉之前,
I'd gone from wrestling maybe once a month in Minnesota to as often as four times a week all over the United States on the independent wrestling circuit . 我已经从在明尼苏达 大约一个月摔角一次, 变成一周就能在全美的 独立摔角联合组织 有四场摔角比赛这么频繁。
United:adj.联合的; v.联合,团结; (unite的过去分词和过去式) independent:adj.独立的; n.无党派议员(或候选人等); circuit:n.环行路线;电路;线路;巡回赛;v.巡回;周游;
I was literally living my dream. 我真的实现了我的梦。
literally:adv.按字面:字面上:确实地:
While wrestling over the next few years, 不过在接下来几年的摔角,
I suffered a pretty bad shoulder injury right around the same time my wife and I found out that we were expecting our first child. 我被蛮严重的肩伤所苦, 大约同时,我太太和我发现, 我们的第一个孩子也要到来了。
injury:n.伤害,损害;受伤处;
I know what you're thinking, but believe me when I say those two events are completely unrelated . 我知道你们在想什么, 但相信我,这两件事完全无关。
unrelated:adj.无关的,不相干的;
(Laughter) (笑声)
But I needed shoulder surgery , and I wanted to be home with my family. 但,我的肩膀需要动手术, 且我想在家陪我的家人。
surgery:n.外科;外科手术;手术室;诊疗室;
It was my turn to be a dad. 该我当老爸了。
So on July 27, 2007, 所以,在 2007 年 7 月 27 日,
I wrestled my final match, and walked away from professional wrestling to pursue the next chapter of my life. 我进行了最后一场摔角赛, 然后离开了职業摔角, 去追寻我人生的下一章。
pursue:v.继续;从事;追赶;纠缠;
And as time passed, the strangest thing started to happen. 随时间过去, 奇妙的事情开始发生。
I found out that once someone has been turned up, it's pretty hard to turn them down. 我发现,当一个人发挥起来之后, 就很难再还原回去。
I left the ring but Gator stayed with me, and I use the turned-up version of myself every day. 我离开了摔角,但鳄鱼还与我同在, 且我每天用的还是 我已发挥出来的版本。
My beautiful wife has been with me through this entire journey . 我美丽的太太陪我走过这整段旅程。
journey:n.旅行;行程;vi.旅行;
And by the way -- she does not like pro wrestling. 顺道一提,她不喜欢职業摔角。
(Laughter) (笑声)
Like, at all. 完全不喜欢。
But she was always my biggest fan. 但她始终是我的头号粉丝。
She still is. 她仍然是。
She knows there's always going to be some part of Gator Magraw in here, and she wants our daughter and twin sons to discover themselves the way that I did, but probably with fewer body slams and steel chair shots to the head. 她知道永远都会有 一部份的鳄鱼麦克罗在这里, 她想要我们的女儿 和双胞胎儿子自己去发现, 像我当初的方式, 但可能少一些背摔 和铁椅砸头的攻击。
slams:砰然声;批评,猛击;
I mean, do you know how many times she's had to remind me not to clothesline the referees at my kid's soccer games? 我的意思是,你们知道 她提醒了我多少次 在我孩子的足球比赛时 别对裁判用金臂勾吗?
clothesline:n.晒衣绳; referees:裁判;
(Laughter) (笑声)
I mean, it was just the one time, and my daughter was clearly fouled ! 我是说,我只犯过一次, 那次很明显我女儿被犯规!
fouled:v.污染的(foul的过去分词形式);拥塞;粪污的;
(Laughter) (笑声)
As a parent now, I've begun to realize that my dad wanted something much more valuable than a retirement fund. 现在身为父母,我开始 了解到我老爸想要的 远比退休金更有价值。
valuable:adj.有价值的;贵重的;可估价的;n.贵重物品;
Like most parents, he just wanted his kids to reach their fullest potential . 就像大部份的父母, 他只想要他的孩子发挥全部的潜能。
potential:n.潜能;可能性;[电]电势;adj.潜在的;可能的;势的;
I'm trying to teach my children that turning yourself up is just not some perfect idea of how to be great, it's a away of living -- constantly looking for what makes you different and how you can amplify it for the world to see. 我试着教导我的孩子 发挥自己,并不只是个 要如何变伟大的完美想法, 而是一种生活方式── 要经常寻找是什么让你与众不同, 以及你能如何放大它,让世界看见。
constantly:adv.不断地;时常地;
And by the way, my kids don't like wrestling, either. 顺道一提,我的孩子也不喜欢摔角。
(Laughter) (笑声)
But that's OK with me, because they each have their own unique talents that can be turned up just like the rest of us. 但我觉得没关系, 因为他们每个人都有 独特的才华等着要发挥, 和我们所有人一样。
My one son -- he's a whiz at electronics . 我的一个儿子是电子学奇才。
whiz:n.飕飕声;奇才;vi.飕飕作声;vt.使飕飕作声; electronics:n.电子学;电子工业;
So maybe helping him turn up makes him become the next Steve Jobs. 所以也许协助他发挥, 会让他变成下一个贾伯斯。
My other son and my daughter -- they're great at art, so maybe helping them turn up their gifts helps them become the next Pablo Picasso . 我的另一个儿子 和我女儿对艺术很行, 所以也许协助他们发挥天赋, 会让他们变成下一个毕卡索。
Pablo:n.帕布鲁棕色; Picasso:n.毕加索(西班牙画家);
You never know what you have the ability to do until you dig. 若没去发掘,你永远不知道 你能做到什么。
You never know:(非正式)很难说,不可预知;
And don't be afraid to put yourself out there. 不要害怕让自己呈现出来。
I mean, look around. 我的意思是,看看四周。
They say that if you get nervous in front of an audience, just imagine them in their underwear. 有人说,如果你在观众面前会紧张, 就想像他们穿着内裤。
But then I think, "Hey, I've wrestled in less." 但我接着想:「嘿, 我摔角时穿得更少耶。」
(Laughter) (笑声)
(Applause) (掌声)
Look, the wrestling circus doesn't need to come to your town before you get an invitation to be the real you -- the bigger, more stunning version of yourself. 摔角表演团不需要到你的镇上, 你也能成为真正的自己── 你自己更强大、更出色的版本。
circus:n.马戏;马戏团; invitation:n.邀请,引诱 stunning:adj.惊人的; v.使昏迷; (stun的现在分词)
It doesn't even necessarily come from our parents. 甚至未必来自我们的父母。
necessarily:adv.必要地;必定地,必然地;
Turning yourself up means looking inward toward our true selves and harnessing the voice that says, "Maybe, just maybe, 发挥自己,意味着 向内看向真实的自我, 并驾驭那个声音: 「也许,只是也许,
inward:adj.向内的; v.向内; n.内部; harnessing:v.给(马等)装上挽具(harness的现在分词);治理,利用;
I am more than I thought I was." 我比我想像的还要更好。」
Thank you. 谢谢。
(Applause) (掌声)