返回首页

MickEbeling_2011A-_解放了一名被封闭的艺术家的发明_

I have had the distinct blessing in my life to have worked on a bunch of amazing projects. 我在生活中曾有幸 参与了许多令人惊叹的项目。
distinct:adj.明显的;独特的;清楚的;有区别的; a bunch of:一群;一束;一堆;
But the coolest I ever worked on was around this guy. 但做过的最酷的项目 与这家伙有关。
This guy's name is TEMPT . 这家伙的名字是TEMPT。
TEMPT:vt.诱惑;引起;冒…的风险;使感兴趣;
TEMPT was one of the foremost graffiti artists in the 80s. TEMPT是八十年代最初的涂鸦艺术家之一。
foremost:adj.最重要的;最先的;adv.首先;居于首位地; graffiti:n.墙上乱写乱画的东西(graffito的复数形式);
And he came up home from a run one day and said, "Dad, my legs are tingling ." 一天他跑完步回到家中 说道,“爸爸,我的腿有些发麻。”
tingling:v.感到刺痛;强烈地感到;(tingle的现在分词)
And that was the onset of ALS. 这是ALS的初期症状。
onset:n.开始,着手;发作;攻击,进攻;
So TEMPT is now completely paralyzed . TEMPT现在完全瘫痪了。
paralyzed:adj.瘫痪的;麻痹的;v.使麻痹;使无力;使失去勇气(paralyze的过去分词);
He only has use of his eyes. 只有他的眼睛能活动。
I was exposed to him. 我曾与他接触过。
exposed:adj.无遮蔽的; v.暴露; (expose的过去分词和过去式)
I have a company that does design and animation , so obviously graffiti is definitely an intricate part of what we admire and respect in the art world. 我有家做设计和动画的公司, 显然涂鸦是我们在艺术世界中 钦佩和尊敬的一个复杂的部分。
animation:n.活泼,生气;激励;卡通片绘制; definitely:adv.清楚地,当然;明确地,肯定地; intricate:adj.复杂的;错综的,缠结的;
And so we decided that we were going to sponsor 因此,我们决定成为
sponsor:n.赞助商; v.主办;
Tony, TEMPT, and his cause. 托尼,也就是TEMPT,事业的赞助者。
So I went and met with his brother and father and said, "We're going to give you this money. 因此我去找到他兄弟和他父亲 对他们说,“我们打算给你们些钱。
What are you going to do with it?" 你们会用来做什么?”
And his brother said, "I just want to be able to talk to Tony again. 他兄弟说道,“我只是想能够再和托尼聊天。
I just want to be able to communicate with him and him to be able to communicate with me." 我只想能跟他交流 而且他也能跟我交流。”
And I said, "Wait a second, isn't that -- I've seen Stephen Hawking -- don't all paralyzed people have the ability to communicate via these devices ?" 我说道,“等等,我曾见过斯蒂芬·霍金,” 不是所有瘫痪的人都能通过这些设备 和别人交流么?
Hawking:n.利用鹰行猎;v.袭击;翱翔;攫取(hawk的现在分词); via:prep.通过;经由;n.道路;[医]管道; devices:n.[机][计]设备;[机]装置;[电子]器件(device的复数);
And he said, "No, unless you're in the upper echelon and you've got really amazing insurance , you can't actually do that. 他回答道,“不,除非是上层社会的人,” 拥有十分惊人的保额, 不然根本做不到。
upper:adj.上面的;内陆的;n.靴面;兴奋剂; echelon:n.梯形;梯次编队;梯阵;阶层;vi.形成梯队;vt.排成梯队; insurance:n.保险;保险业;保险费;保费;adj.胜券在握的;
These devices aren't accessible to people." 这些设备不是那么容易得到的。”
accessible:adj.易接近的;可进入的;可理解的;
And I said, "Well, how do you actually communicate?" 我说道,”好的,你们是怎么交流的?“
Has everyone seen the movie "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly?" 大家有没有看过电影”潜水钟和蝴蝶“?
Diving Bell:n.潜水钟(内贮空气,底部有开口,潜入深海用);
That's how they communicate -- so run their finger along. 那就是他们交流的方式 -- 移动他们的手指。
I said, "That's archaic . How can that be?" 我说道,”这法子太落后了。怎么会这样?“
archaic:adj.古代的;陈旧的;古体的;古色古香的;
So I showed up with the desire to just write a check, and instead, I wrote a check that I had no freaking idea how I was going to cash. 我出现时的心愿仅仅是开张支票, 相反,我开了张 我完全不知道如何兑现的支票。
freaking:adj.该死的,他妈的;v.(使)强烈反应,畏惧;(freak的现在分词)
I committed to his brother and his father right then and there -- 我当时向他兄弟和他父亲承诺 --
committed:adj.坚信的; v.做出错事; (commit的过去分词和过去式)
I'm like, "All right, here's the deal: 大意是,“好的,这样吧:
Tony's going to speak, we're going to get him a machine, and we're going to figure out a way for him to do his art again. 托尼会能讲话的,我们会给他一台机器, 我们会找出一个能让他再次创作的方式。
Because it's a travesty that someone who still has all of that in him isn't able to communicate it." 因为一个人内在仍然正常却不能交流 实在是太荒唐了”
travesty:n.歪曲;滑稽作品;拙劣的模仿作品;vt.歪曲;滑稽地模仿;
So I spoke at a conference a couple months after that. 几个月之后我在一次会议上有个演讲。
conference:n.会议;研讨会;商讨会;体育协会(或联合会)
I met these guys called GRL, 我遇到了这些被称为GRL的家伙,
Graffiti Research Lab, and they have a technology that allows them to project a light onto any surface and then, with a laser pointer , draw on it, and it just registers the negative space. 涂鸦研究实验室(Graffiti Research Lab), 他们有一项技术 能让他们把一束光投射到任何表面上, 然后用一个激光笔在上面作画, 这会形成一种暗的间隙。
technology:n.技术;工艺;术语; pointer:n.指针;指示器;教鞭;暗示; registers:n.登记; v.登记; negative:adj.[数]负的;消极的;否定的;阴性的;n.否定;负数;[摄]底片;v.否定;拒绝;
So they go around and do art installations like this. 他们就四处走动,像这样展示艺术。
installations:n.[军]设施;装置(installation的复数形式);[机]设备;
All the things that go up there, they said there's a life cycle . 所有这些事,他们称之为一个生命周期。
life cycle:n.生命周期;寿命(产品等从开发到使用完毕的一段时间);
First it starts with the sexual organs , then it starts with cuss words, then it was Bush slanders and then people actually got to art. 首先以性器官开始, 然后是脏话, 接着是诽谤布什 然后人们就看到了艺术。
sexual:adj.性的;性别的;有性的; organs:n.[生物]器官;机构;风琴(organ的复数); cuss:v.诅咒;咒骂;n.家伙; Bush:n.灌木; v.以灌木装饰; adj.如灌木般长得低矮的; slanders:诽谤;
But there was always a life cycle to their presentations . 但是他们展示总是内涵了一个生命周期。
presentations:n.展示;自我介绍;业务陈述(presentation的复数形式);
So I went home and was having dinner with my wife and was telling her about this, and we were like, "Well wait a second. If we know that this technology exists where you can use your eyes to control things, 我回到家中,与我妻子共进晚餐时 把这些告诉了她, 大意是,”等等,如果我们知道这项技术 能让你用眼睛控制事物,
why don't we figure out a way for TEMPT to control a laser and he could do graf again? Well that would be awesome ." 为什么我们不想个办法让TEMPT来控制一束激光, 这一他就能再次进行涂鸦了,那就太棒了。“
awesome:adj.令人敬畏的;使人畏惧的;可怕的;极好的;
So that started the journey . 因此我们开始行动。
journey:n.旅行;行程;vi.旅行;
And about two years later, about a year later, after a bunch of organization and a bunch of moving things around, we'd accomplished a couple things. 大约两年后,一年后, 在通过许多组织 和我们改变了一些情况 我们完成了一些事情
organization:n.组织;机构;体制;团体; accomplished:adj.完成的;有技巧的;有学问的;v.完成;(accomplish的过去分词和过去式)
One, we battered down the doors of the insurance companies, and we actually got TEMPT a machine that let him communicate -- a Stephen Hawking machine. 第一,我们捣毁了保险公司的大门, 我们真的给了TEMPT一台机器 让他能够进行交流 -- 一台斯蒂芬·霍金式的机器。
battered:adj.破旧不堪的;受到重创的;v.连续猛击;殴打;(batter的过去分词和过去式)
(Applause) (掌声)
Which was awesome. 那太棒了。
And he's seriously one of the funniest -- I call him Yoda, because you talk to the guy, you get an email from him, and you're like, "I'm not worthy . This guy's so amazing." 他真的是最有趣的人 -- 我叫他尤达, 因为你跟他说话,他给你发Email, 你好象觉得,”我还不行。这家伙太出色了。“
worthy:adj.值得的; n.杰出人物;
The other thing we did is we flew seven programmers from all over the world -- literally every corner of the world -- into our house. 我们做的另一件事是, 我们聚集了七名来自全世界的程序员 -- 毫不夸张,他们来自世界的每个角落 -- 把他们聚集到我们这儿。
literally:adv.按字面:字面上:确实地:
My wife and kids and I moved to our back garage , and these hackers and programmers and conspiracy theorists and anarchists took over our house. 我妻子和孩子和我搬到了后面的车库里, 这些黑客、程序员、 阴谋论者和无政府主义者接管了我们的房子。
garage:n.车库;汽车修理厂;飞机库;v.把…送入车库;把(汽车)开进车库; hackers:n.黑客,骇客;电脑黑客(hacker的复数); conspiracy:n.阴谋;共谋;阴谋集团; theorists:理论家; anarchists:n.无政府主义者(anarchist的复数形式);
A lot of our friends thought we were absolutely stupid to do that and that we were going to come back and all the pictures on the wall would be removed and graf on the walls. 我们许多朋友认为我们这么做真是太愚蠢了 等我们重回房子的时候 墙上挂的图片都会被拿下来,而且墙上会被画的乱七八糟。
absolutely:adv.绝对地;完全地;
But for over two weeks, we programmed, we went to the Venice boardwalk , my kids got involved , my dog got involved , and we created this. 但过了两个星期后, 我们进行了两星期后, 我们去了威尼斯街, 我的孩子也参与了, 我的狗也参与了, 我们造出了这个。
Venice:n.威尼斯(意大利港市); boardwalk:n.木板路; involved:adj.有关的; v.涉及; (involve的过去式和过去分词)
This is called the EyeWriter, and you can see the description . 我们称之为眼神书写器(EyeWriter), 各位可以看看这个说明。
description:n.说明;形容;描写(文字);类型;
This is a cheap pair of sunglasses that we bought at the Venice Beach boardwalk, some copper wire and some stuff from Home Depot and Radio Shack . 这是副便宜的太阳镜 我们在威尼斯海滨路买的, 一些铜线 和一些从家得宝和Radio Shack(出售电器的连锁店)买的东西。
copper:n.铜;铜币;警察;adj.铜(制)的;(紫)铜色的;v.用铜板[铜皮]盖[包]; stuff:n.东西:物品:基本特征:v.填满:装满:标本: Depot:n.仓库;停车场;航空站;vt.把…存放在储藏处;adj.药性持久的; Shack:n.棚屋;小室;vi.居住;
We took a PS3 camera, hacked it open, mounted it to an LED light, and now there's a device that is free -- you build this yourself, we publish the code for free, you download the software for free. 我们拿了个PS3的摄像头,拆解了它, 把它安装在一个LED灯上, 现在这个设备是免费的 -- 可以自己制作,我们把开放了源码, 你可以免费下载。
hacked:v.砍;劈;猛踢;非法侵入(hack的过去分词和过去式) mounted:adj.骑马的; v.准备; (mount的过去分词和过去式) publish:v.出版;发表;公布;
And now we've created a device that has absolutely no limitations . 现在我们可以完全 不受限制地制作这一设备。
limitations:n.局限性;(限制)因素;边界(limitation的复数形式);
There's no insurance company that can say "No." 没有任何保险公司能说“不”。
There's no hospital that can say "No." 没有任何医院能说“不”。
Anybody who's paralyzed now has access to actually draw or communicate using only their eyes. 任何瘫痪的人现在都可以 只用他们的眼睛就能绘画和交流。
(Applause) (掌声)
Thank you. 谢谢。
Thank you guys very much. That was awesome. 非常感谢各位。这很棒。
So at the end of the two weeks, we went back to TEMPT's room. 在两个星期结束后, 我们回到了TEMPT的房间。
I love this picture, because this is someone else's room and that's his room. 我喜欢这张照片,因为这是别人的房间 这是他的房间。
So there's all this hustle and bustle going on for the big unveiling . 所有这些拥挤喧嚷都是为了这一重大时刻。
hustle:v.催促;猛推;强夺;赶紧;n.推;奔忙;拥挤喧嚷; bustle:vi.喧闹;忙乱;充满;vt.使忙碌;催促;n.喧闹;活跃;裙撑;热闹的活动; unveiling:n.揭幕;计划公布;v.为…揭幕;(首次)展示,介绍;(unveil的现在分词)
And after over a year of planning, two weeks of programming, carb-fest and all-night sessions , 在超过一年的计划、 两个星期的编程、 快餐和通宵会议之后,
all-night:adj.通宵的;通宵营业的; sessions:n.会议;会期(session的复数);
Tony drew again for the first time in seven years. 托尼在七年后第一次开始了绘画。
And this is an amazing picture, because this is his life support system, and he's looking over his life support system. 这是一幅令人惊叹的画面, 因为这是他的生命维持系统, 他在仔细观察他的生命维持系统。
life support:adj.保障生命的,维持生命的;
We kicked his bed so that he could see out. 我们摇起他的床,让他能够看到。
And we set up a projector on a wall out in the parking lot outside of his hospital. 我们架起了一个放映机, 就在他医院外面的停车场的一面墙上。
projector:n.[仪]投影仪;放映机;探照灯;设计者; parking lot:n.停车场;
And he drew again for the first time, in front of his family and friends -- and you can only imagine what the feeling in the parking lot was. 他再次开始绘画, 在他的家人和朋友面前 -- 各位能够想象 在停车场上是什么样的感觉。
The funny thing was, we had to break into the parking lot too, so we totally felt like we were legit in the whole graf scene too. 有趣的是,我们也要挤进停车场, 那样我们好像感觉到我们也是整个涂鸦作品的一部分。
legit:adj.合法的;n.正统剧;正统剧院;
(Laughter) (笑声)
So at the end of this, he sent us an email, and this is what the email said: "That was the first time I've drawn anything for seven years. 在这结束时,他给我们发了封Email, 其中这样写道: “这是我七年来我第一次能够绘画。
I feel like I had been held underwater , and someone finally reached down and pulled my head up so I could breathe." 我觉得我一直被压在水下, 而终于有人伸出手 把我的头拉出水面,让我能够呼吸。”
underwater:adj.在水中的;水面下的;adv.在水下;n.水下; finally:adv.终于;最终;(用于列举)最后;彻底地;
Isn't that awesome? 这太棒了,不是么。
(Applause) (掌声)
So that's kind of our battle cry . 这有点像是我们的战斗口号。
battle cry:n.(战斗中的)呐喊助威;(尤指政治的)战斗口号;
That's what keeps us going and keeps us developing. 就是这些让我们不断前行不断发展。
And we've got such a long way to go with this. 我们走了那么远的路才做到这点。
This is an amazing device, but it's the equivalent of an Etch A Sketch . 这是个很棒的设备, 但它与素描刻蚀不同。
equivalent:adj.等价的,相等的;同意义的;n.等价物,相等物; Sketch:n.素描;草图;速写;概述;v.概述;简述;画素描;画速写;
And someone who has that kind of artistic potential deserves so much more. 一个有这类艺术潜力的人应得到更多。
artistic:adj.艺术的;风雅的;有美感的; potential:n.潜能;可能性;[电]电势;adj.潜在的;可能的;势的; deserves:v.值得;应得;应受;(deserve的第三人称单数)
So we're in the process of trying to figure out how to make it better, faster, stronger. 我们还在探索的过程之中, 探索如何让它更好、更快、更强大。
in the process of:在…的过程中;
Since that time, we've had all kinds of acknowledgment . 从那时起,我们受到了各种各样的认可。
acknowledgment:n.感谢;承认;承认书;
We've won a bunch of awards. 我们赢得了许多奖励。
Remember, it's free; none of us are making any money on this thing. 请记住,它是免费的;我们中没人在用这东西赚一分钱。
It's all coming out of our own pockets. 所有的支出都是我们自掏腰包。
So the awards were like, "Oh, this is fantastic ." 我们奖励则是,“哦,这太了不起了。”
fantastic:奇异的,空想的
Armstrong Twittered about us, and then in December, Time magazine honored us as one of the top 50 inventions of 2010, which was really cool. 阿姆斯特朗发了关于我们的Twitter, 接着在十二月,时代杂志给了我们 2010年五十大发明之一的荣耀,这确实很酷。
Armstrong:n.阿姆斯特朗(美国宇航员,登月第一人); Twittered:n.微博客,鸟叫声;vt.吱吱叫;嘁嘁喳喳地讲;
(Applause) (掌声)
The coolest thing about this -- and this is what's completing the whole circle -- is that in April of this year, at the Geffen MOCA in downtown Los Angeles, there's going to be an exhibition called "Art of the Streets." 最酷的事是 -- 这将完成整个循环 -- 在今年的四月, 在洛杉矶市中心的格芬当代艺术馆, 将会有一个名为“街头艺术”的展览会。
downtown:n.市区;闹市区;adv.在市区;在热闹街上;到闹市区;adj.闹市区的;
And "Art of the Streets" is going to have pretty much the bad-asses of the street art scene -- 而“街头艺术”会有 许多街头艺术的坏蛋们 --
Banksy, Shepard Fairey, KAWS -- all of these guys will be there. 班克斯、谢帕德·费尔雷、CAW -- 所有这些人都会到场。
TEMPT's going to be in the show, which is pretty awesome. TEMPT也将会出现在展会中, 这非常棒。
(Applause) (掌声)
So basically this is my point: 因此基本上我的观点是:
basically:adv.主要地,基本上;
If you see something that's not possible, make it possible. 如果你看到一些并非不可能的事, 让它成为可能。
Everything in this room wasn't possible -- this stage, this computer, this mic, the EyeWriter -- wasn't possible at one point. 所有发生在这间屋子的事都是不可能的 -- 这个舞台、这台电脑、这个麦克、这个眼神书写器 -- 一度都是不可能的。
Make it possible, everyone in this room. 是这房间中的每个人让它变得可能。
I'm not a programmer, never done anything with ocular recognition technology, but I just recognized something and associated myself with amazing people so that we could make something happen. 我不是程序员, 也从未做过任何与眼部运动识别技术相关的事情, 但我只是想到一些事并把我自己和一些了不起的人联系起来 这一我们就能整出点名堂。
ocular:adj.眼睛的;视觉的;目击的;n.[光]目镜; recognition:n.识别;认识;承认;认可; recognized:v.认识;认出;辨别出;承认;意识到;(recognize的过去分词和过去式) associated:adj.有关联的; v.联想; (associate的过去分词和过去式)
And this is the question I want everyone to ask yourself every single day when you come up with something you feel that needs to be done: if not now, then when? And if not me, then who? 我就是想让每个人在每一天中, 当想到一些 你觉得应该完成的事时,都应问问自己的问题。 如果现在不做,那何时做?如果我不做,那谁来做?
come up with:提出;想出;赶上;
Thank you guys. 谢谢各位。
(Applause) (掌声)