返回首页

MichelleObama_2009P-_米歇尔_奥巴马恳请学生们重视教育_

This is my first trip. 这是我的第一次出访。
My first foreign trip as a first lady . 是我作为第一夫人的第一次外事出访。
first lady:n.第一夫人;元首夫人;总统夫人;
Can you believe that? 你们能相信这个事实吗?
(Applause) (掌声)
And while this is not my first visit to the U.K., 虽然这不是我第一次来英国,
I have to say that I am glad this is my first official visit. 我必须说很高兴我的首次官方访问是来英国。
official:adj.官方的;正式的;公务的;n.官员;公务员;高级职员;
The special relationship between the United States and the U.K. 美国和英国之间的特殊关系
United:adj.联合的; v.联合,团结; (unite的过去分词和过去式)
is based not only on the relationship between governments, but the common language and the values that we share. 不只是基于政府之间的关系, 而且基于我们有共同的语言和价值观。
And I'm reminded of that by watching you all today. 看见你们大家就使我想到这一点。
reminded:v.提醒;使想起;(remind的过去分词和过去式)
During my visit I've been especially honored to meet some of Britain's most extraordinary women. 在访问期间我特别荣幸地 会见了英国一些最出色的女士。
especially:adv.尤其;特别;格外;十分; extraordinary:adj.非凡的;特别的;离奇的;临时的;特派的;
Women who are paving the way for all of you. 这些女士在为你们所有女孩子铺路。
paving:n.[建]铺砌;铺路材料;块石面路;v.铺设;为…做准备(pave的现在分词);
And I'm honored to meet you, the future leaders of Great Britain and this world. 我也很荣幸见到你们, 这些英国和世界未来的领导者。
Great Britain:n.大不列颠(包括英格兰、苏格兰和威尔士);
And although the circumstances of our lives may seem very distant , with me standing here as the First Lady of the United States of America , and you, just getting through school. 虽然我们的生活境况好像相差很远, 我作为美国第一夫人站在这里, 而你们还正在上学。
circumstances:n.情况;环境;情形;(circumstance的复数) distant:adj.遥远的;远处的;久远的; United States of America:un.美利坚合众国;
I want you to know that we have very much in common. 我想让你们了解我们有很多共同之处。
For nothing in my life's path would have predicted that I'd be standing here as the first African-American First Lady of the United States of America. 因为在我生命历程中没有任何东西 曾经预示我会站在这里 作为美利坚合众国的第一位 非洲裔第一夫人。
predicted:v.预言;预告;预报;(predict的过去分词和过去式) African-American:非洲裔美国人(指美国黑人);
There is nothing in my story that would land me here. 我的资历里没有什么东西能使我站在这个位置上。
I wasn't raised with wealth or resources or any social standing to speak of. 我不是用财富和资源养大的 也谈不上有什么社会地位。
wealth:n.财富;大量;富有; resources:n.[计][环境]资源; v.向…提供资金(resource的第三人称单数);
I was raised on the South Side of Chicago. 我是在芝加哥的南边养大的。
That's the real part of Chicago. 那是芝加哥的真实部分。
And I was the product of a working-class community . 我出身于工人阶级。
working-class:adj.工人阶级的;劳动阶级的; community:n.社区;[生态]群落;共同体;团体;
My father was a city worker all of his life. 我父亲一辈子是个市政工人。
And my mother was a stay-at-home mom. 我母亲是个家庭妇女。
stay-at-home:adj.不爱出门的;经常呆在家里的;n.不爱出门的人;经常呆在家里的人;
And she stayed at home to take care of me and my older brother. 她待在家里照顾我和我哥哥。
Neither of them attended university. 我父母都没上过大学。
My dad was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis in the prime of his life. 我爸爸被诊断有多种硬化症 当他壮年的时候。
diagnosed:v.诊断(疾病);判断(问题的原因);(diagnose的过去分词和过去式) multiple sclerosis:n.多发性硬化; prime:adj.主要的; v.极好地; n.初期; v.使准备好;
But even as it got harder for him to walk and get dressed in the morning -- 但就在他变得难以行走 而且早上难以穿衣的时候 --
I saw him struggle more and more -- my father never complained about his struggle. 我看着他挣扎得越来越厉害 -- 我父亲却从来没有抱怨过他的困难。
complained:v.抱怨;埋怨;发牢骚;(complain的过去分词和过去式)
He was grateful for what he had. 他对于自己拥有的一切心存感激。
He just woke up a little earlier and worked a little harder. 他只是起得更早一点,工作得更努力一点。
And my brother and I were raised with all that you really need: love, strong values and a belief that with a good education and a whole lot of hard work, that there was nothing that we could not do. 我哥哥和我在成长过程中得到了人生真正需要的一切: 爱,强有力的价值观 以及一个信念,就是靠着良好的教育 还有大量的辛勤工作 没有什么是我们做不到的。
I am an example of what's possible when girls from the very beginning of their lives are loved and nurtured by the people around them. 我的例子就表明女孩子能创造奇迹 只要她们从生命最开始的时候 就受到周围人的爱护和教养。
nurtured:v.养育;培养;养护;支持(nurture的过去分词和过去式)
I was surrounded by extraordinary women in my life. 我的生命中围绕着非凡的女性。
Grandmothers, teachers, aunts, cousins, neighbors, who taught me about quiet strength and dignity . 祖母,老师,姨妈,表姐妹,邻居 她们教会我沉默的力量和尊严。
dignity:n.尊严;高贵;
And my mother, the most important role model in my life, who lives with us at the White House and helps to care for our two little daughters, 还有我母亲,我生命中最重要的榜样, 她和我们住在白宫 帮着照顾我们的两个小女儿,
role model:n.榜样;崇拜对象; White House:n.白宫(美国总统官邸,位于首都华盛顿);
Malia and Sasha. 玛丽娅和萨莎
She's an active presence in their lives, as well as mine, and is instilling in them the same values that she taught me and my brother: things like compassion , and integrity , and confidence , and perseverance . 她在孩子们和我的生活中都很活跃, 并正在给她们灌输 她教给我和我哥哥的价值观: 同情心,正直 自信和坚定。
presence:n.存在;出席;参加;风度;仪态; as well as:也;和…一样;不但…而且; instilling:vt.徐徐滴入;逐渐灌输; compassion:n.同情;怜悯; integrity:n.完整;正直;诚实;廉正; confidence:n.信心;信任;秘密;adj.(美)诈骗的;骗得信任的; perseverance:n.坚持不懈;不屈不挠;n.耐性;毅力;
All of that wrapped up in an unconditional love that only a grandmother can give. 所有这些都包含在无条件的爱之中 那是只有一个祖母才能给予的爱。
wrapped:adj.极高兴的;十分满意的;v.用…包裹;用…缠绕;(wrap的过去分词和过去式) unconditional:adj.无条件的;绝对的;无限制的;
I was also fortunate enough to be cherished and encouraged by some strong male role models as well, including my father, my brother, uncles and grandfathers. 我也很幸运地从一些男性榜样那里 得到珍爱和鼓励 包括我父亲,我哥哥,叔伯和祖父。
fortunate:adj.幸运的;交好运的;吉利的; cherished:adj.珍爱的;珍视的;珍视;珍爱;珍藏的;
The men in my life taught me some important things, as well. 我生命中的男人们也教会我一些重要的东西。
They taught me about what a respectful relationship should look like between men and women. 他们教会我互相尊重的男女关系 应该是什么样子的。
respectful:adj.恭敬的;有礼貌的;
They taught me about what a strong marriage feels like. 拥有一个牢固的婚姻是什么感觉。
That it's built on faith and commitment and an admiration for each other's unique gifts. 就是建立在信念和承诺之上 以及对彼此独特天赋的赞赏。
faith:n.信心;信任;宗教信仰; commitment:n.承诺;投入;保证;许诺; admiration:n.钦佩;赞赏;羡慕;赞美; unique:adj.独特的,稀罕的;[数]唯一的;n.独一无二的人或物;
They taught me about what it means to be a father and to raise a family. 他们教我意识到什么叫 当一个父亲 并养育一家人。
And not only to invest in your own home but to reach out and help raise kids in the broader community. 而且不只是关注自己的家庭 也要伸手去帮助养育 更广泛的社区里的孩子
invest:v.投资;(把资金)投入;投入(时间、精力等);授予;
And these were the same qualities that I looked for in my own husband, 这些同样的品质 也是我在自己的丈夫身上寻找的,
Barack Obama. 就是巴拉克?奥巴马
And when we first met, one of the things that I remember is that he took me out on a date. 在我们最初相识的时候 我记得,他带我出去约会。
And his date was to go with him to a community meeting. 他的约会是和他一起去开一个社区会议。
(Laughter) (笑声)
I know, how romantic . 是啊,够浪漫的吧。
romantic:adj.浪漫的;爱情的;n.浪漫的人;耽于幻想的人;
(Laughter) (笑声)
But when we met, Barack was a community organizer . 我们相识的时候,巴拉克是一个社区组织者。
organizer:n.组织者;承办单位;[生物]组织导体;
He worked, helping people to find jobs and to try to bring resources into struggling neighborhoods. 他的工作是帮助人家找工作 以及努力把资源带给有困难的邻里。
As he talked to the residents in that community center, he talked about two concepts. 当他同那个社区中心里的居民交谈的时候 他谈到两个概念。
residents:n.居民;住院医生;房客;(resident的复数)
He talked about "the world as it is" and "the world as it should be." 他谈到“现实世界”和“理想世界”。
And I talked about this throughout the entire campaign. 我在竞选的整个过程中也谈到这些。
throughout:adv.自始至终,到处;全部;prep.贯穿,遍及;
What he said, that all too often, is that we accept the distance between those two ideas. 他说,我们常常 接受了这两种观念之间的差距。
And sometimes we settle for the world as it is, even when it doesn't reflect our values and aspirations . 有的时侯我们满足于现实世界, 即使它没有反映我们的价值观和愿望。
settle for:满足于; reflect:v.反映;映出(影像);反射;表明,表达; aspirations:n.愿望;
But Barack reminded us on that day, all of us in that room, that we all know what our world should look like. 但是那天巴拉克提醒了我们, 在那间屋子里的所有人,我们都知道 我们的世界应该是什么样子的。
We know what fairness and justice and opportunity look like. 我们知道公平,正义和机会是什么样子的。
justice:n.公平;公正;司法制度;审判;
We all know. 我们全都知道。
And he urged the people in that meeting, in that community, to devote themselves to closing the gap between those two ideas, to work together to try to make the world as it is and the world as it should be, one and the same . 他敦促那个会上的人们, 那个社区里的人们, 把他们自己献身于 缩小那两种观念之间的差距, 一起努力把现实世界 变成和理想世界一样。
devote:v.贡献;把…专用于;听任; gap:n.差距;间隙;缺口;间隔;v.使豁裂;豁开; one and the same:同一个;完全一回事;
And I think about that today because I am reminded and convinced that all of you in this school are very important parts of closing that gap. 我今天想起这些是因为 我确信这所学校里你们所有的人 都是缩小这差距非常重要的因素。
convinced:adj.坚信; v.使确信; (convince的过去分词和过去式)
You are the women who will build the world as it should be. 你们是要建立理想世界的女性。
You're going to write the next chapter in history. 你们将写出历史的下一个篇章。
Not just for yourselves, but for your generation and generations to come. 不只是为你们自己,而且是为你们一代人 以及未来的几代人。
And that's why getting a good education is so important. 这就是为什么得到良好的教育 是这么的重要。
That's why all of this that you're going through -- the ups and the downs, the teachers that you love and the teachers that you don't -- why it's so important. 这就是为什么你们正在经历的所有这一切 好事和坏事,你们喜欢的和不喜欢的老师 -- 为什么都这么重要。
Because communities and countries and ultimately the world, are only as strong as the health of their women. 因为社区和国家还有归根结底这个世界, 它们的强大只取决于其中女性的健康。
communities:n.社区;社会;团体;共有(community的复数) ultimately:adv.最终;最后;归根结底;终究;
And that's important to keep in mind . 记住这一点很重要。
keep in mind:记住;
A part of that health includes an outstanding education. 这个健康的一部分包括出类拔萃的教育。
outstanding:adj.优秀的;杰出的;出色的;v.突出;离港;向海上;停留(outstand的现在分词)
The difference between a struggling family and a healthy one is often the presence of an empowered woman or women, at the center of that family. 一个艰困的家庭与一个健康的家庭之间的区别 通常就是有一个或几个说话算数的女人 处于家庭的核心。
empowered:v.授权;给(某人)…的权力;(empower的过去分词和过去式)
The difference between a broken community and a thriving one is often the healthy respect between men and women who appreciate the contributions each other makes to society. 一个破败的社区与一个茁壮成长的社区的区别 通常取决于男女间能否相互尊重 他(她)们感激对方为社会所做的贡献。
thriving:v.兴旺发达;繁荣;旺盛;茁壮成长;(thrive的现在分词) appreciate:v.欣赏;感激;感谢;理解; contributions:n.捐款;捐资;定期缴款;贡献;促成作用;(contribution的复数)
The difference between a languishing nation and one that will flourish is the recognition that we need equal access to education for both boys and girls. 一个日趋衰弱的国家 与一个强盛的国家的区别 就是其中的男孩和女孩 是否有平等受教育的机会
languishing:adj.衰弱下去的; v.被迫滞留; (languish的现在分词) flourish:n.兴旺; vt.夸耀; vi.繁荣,兴旺; recognition:n.识别;认识;承认;认可;
And this school, named after the U.K.'s first female doctor, and the surrounding buildings named for Mexican artist Frida Kahlo, 这所学校以英国的第一个女医生命名, 学校的建筑以其他三位女士命名:墨西哥艺术家福丽达?卡萝
female:adj.女性的;雌性的;柔弱的,柔和的;n.女人;[动]雌性动物;
Mary Seacole, the Jamaican nurse known as the "black Florence Nightingale ," 玛丽?希珂 她是被称为“黑人南丁格尔”的牙买加护士,
Jamaican:adj.牙买加的;牙买加人的;n.牙买加人; Nightingale:n.夜莺;
and the English author, Emily Bronte, honor women who fought sexism , racism and ignorance , to pursue their passions to feed their own souls. 以及英国作家艾米丽?勃朗特 这都是为了纪念这些女士,她们与性别歧视,种族歧视和无知做斗争, 从而追求她们的激情以充实自己的灵魂。
sexism:n.(针对女性的)性别歧视;男性至上主义; racism:n.种族主义,种族歧视;人种偏见; ignorance:n.无知,愚昧;不知,不懂; pursue:v.继续;从事;追赶;纠缠; passions:n.强烈情感;激情;盛怒;(passion的复数)
They allowed for no obstacles . 她们没有顾及任何障碍。
obstacles:n.障碍;障碍物;阻碍;(obstacle的复数形式)
As the sign said back there, "without limitations ." 就像后面这个标语写的,“全然无限”。
limitations:n.局限性;(限制)因素;边界(limitation的复数形式);
They knew no other way to live than to follow their dreams. 她们没想以其它的方式生活 而只是追随她们的梦想。
And having done so, these women moved many obstacles. 正因为如此,这四位女士 去除了很多障碍。
And they opened many new doors for millions of female doctors and nurses and artists and authors, all of whom have followed them. 她们创造了很多新的机会 为成百上千万的女医生和女护士们 女艺术家和女作家们, 她们都追随了这四位女士。
And by getting a good education, you too can control your own destiny . 通过得到良好的教育 你们也可以掌控自己的命运。
destiny:n.命运,定数,天命;
Please remember that. 请记住这一点。
If you want to know the reason why I'm standing here, it's because of education. 如果你们想知道我能站在这里的原因, 那就是因为教育。
I never cut class. Sorry, I don't know if anybody is cutting class. 我从来不逃课。对不起,我不知道这里是否有人逃课。
I never did it. 我从来没那么做。
I loved getting 'A's. 我喜欢得‘优’
I liked being smart. 我喜欢做聪明人。
I liked being on time. I liked getting my work done. 我喜欢准时。我喜欢把我的功课做完。
I thought being smart was cooler than anything in the world. 我觉得做聪明人比世界上任何事都要酷。
And you too, with these same values, can control your own destiny. 按照同样的价值观,你们同样可以 掌控你们自己的命运。
You too can pave the way . 你们也可以铺出路来。
pave the way:为...作准备;为...铺平道路;
You too can realize your dreams, and then your job is to reach back and to help someone just like you do the same thing. 你们也可以实现你们的梦想, 然后你们的任务就是伸出手 去帮助像你们一样的人实现梦想。
History proves that it doesn't matter whether you come from a council estate or a country estate. 历史证明,无论是 你们来自穷人家 或来自富人家。
council estate:n.地方当局所属地产;地方政府建的住宅群;
Your success will be determined by your own fortitude , your own confidence, your own individual hard work. 你们的成功取决于 你们自己的坚韧, 你们自己的信心,你们自己的辛勤工作。
determined:adj.决定了的:v.决定;(determine的过去分词和过去式) fortitude:n.刚毅;不屈不挠;勇气; individual:n.个人;有个性的人;adj.单独的;个别的;
That is true. That is the reality of the world that we live in. 真是这样。这就是我们所生活的世界的真实情况。
You now have control over your own destiny. 你们的命运现在掌握在自己手上。
And it won't be easy. That's for sure. 但这并不容易。那是一定的。
But you have everything you need. 可是你们拥有你们所需要的一切。
Everything you need to succeed, you already have right here. 要成功所需的一切, 你们已经都有了。
My husband works in this big office. 我丈夫在一个大办公室里工作。
They call it the Oval Office . 他们管它叫椭圆办公室。
Oval Office:n.总统办公室;(美国)总统及政府行政部门;
In the White House, there's the desk that he sits at. 在白宫里,有一个他坐在那儿办公的桌子。
It's called the Resolute desk. 那个办公桌名为“坚决”。
Resolute:adj.坚决的;果断的;
It was built by the timber of Her Majesty's Ship Resolute and given by Queen Victoria. 桌子是用女王陛下“坚决”号船的木料打造的。 是维多利亚女王送的。
timber:n.木材;木料;
It's an enduring symbol of the friendship between our two nations. 它是我们两国之间友谊的永久象征。
enduring:adj.持久的;耐久的;v.忍耐;忍受;持续;持久;(endure的现在分词) symbol:n.象征;符号;标志;
And its name, Resolute, is a reminder of the strength of character that's required not only to lead a country, but to live a life of purpose, as well. 它的名字,“坚决”, 提醒我们要有这样的风骨 不只是领导一个国家, 而且要度过一个有意义的人生。
And I hope in pursuing your dreams, you all remain resolute, that you go forward without limits, and that you use your talents -- because there are many. We've seen them. 我希望在追求你们的梦想时,你们都能保持坚定, 向前进而不受限制, 发挥你们的才能 -- 因为你们才华横溢。我们见识过
pursuing:v.追求;致力于;贯彻;跟踪;追赶;(pursue的现在分词)
It's there. 确实有才华。
That you use them to create the world as it should be. 用你们的才华去创建那个理想世界
Because we are counting on you. 因为我们指望着你们。
We are counting on every single one of you to be the very best that you can be. 我们指望着你们每一个人 尽你们的全力,做到最好。
Because the world is big. 因为这个世界很大。
And it's full of challenges. 充满了挑战。
And we need strong, smart, confident young women to stand up and take the reins . 我们需要坚强的,聪明的,自信的年轻女性 站出来执掌乾坤。
confident:adj.自信的;确信的; reins:n.肾脏;腰部;感情;肺腑;
We know you can do it. We love you. Thank you so much. 我们知道你们能做到。我们爱你们。谢谢大家。
(Applause) (掌声)