返回首页

MichaelShermer_2010-_自欺_背后的模式_

So since I was here last in '06, we discovered that global climate change is turning out to be a pretty serious issue , so we covered that fairly extensively in Skeptic magazine. 自06年我上一次来后 我们发现了全球暖化 已变成颇严重的问题 於是我们在 怀疑 杂志 里了深入报导
global:adj.全球的;总体的;球形的; issue:n.重要议题;争论的问题;v.宣布;公布;发出;发行; fairly:adv.相当地;公平地;简直; extensively:adv.广阔地;广大地; Skeptic:n.怀疑论者;怀疑者;无神论者;sceptic(英);
We investigate all kinds of scientific and quasi-scientific controversies , but it turns out we don't have to worry about any of this because the world's going to end in 2012. 我们研究了所有 科学及类科学的争论 不过最后发现我们根本不用担心这些 反正2012年世界末日就到了
investigate:v.调查;研究;审查; scientific:adj.科学的,系统的; controversies:n.争论;辩论(controversy的复数);
Another update : 另一件新消息是
update:vt.使现代化;更新;n.现代化;更新的信息;
You will recall I introduced you guys to the Quadro Tracker . 应该还记得我曾为你们介绍过 Quadro 探测器
recall:v.记起;回想起;使想到;勾起;召回;n.记忆力;记性;回归请求;回收令; Quadro:n.方形住宅区; Tracker:n.拉纤者,纤夫;追踪系统,[自]跟踪装置;追踪者;
It's like a water dowsing device . 一如探水器
dowsing:v.使浸透;急松(绳子等);探寻(douse的ing形式);n.探测术;瓦解; device:n.装置;策略;图案;
It's just a hollow piece of plastic with an antenna that swivels around. 只是一个空心胶件上面装了会转的甚麽天线
hollow:n.孔; v.挖; adj.中空的; v.彻底; antenna:n.[电讯]天线;[动]触角,[昆]触须; swivels:n.转环;转椅座架;vt.使旋转;vi.旋转;
And you walk around, and it points to things. 你拿着走, 它就会指向甚麽.
Like if you're looking for marijuana in students' lockers , it'll point right to somebody. 若你要在学生衣物櫃里找大麻, 它会马上指向某人
marijuana:n.大麻;大麻毒品; lockers:n.储物柜;存储箱;有锁存物柜;带锁小柜(locker的复数形式);
Oh, sorry. (Laughter) 哦, 对不起. (哄笑)
This particular one that was given to me finds golf balls, especially if you're at a golf course and you check under enough bushes . 而别人给我的这只 是专门用来找高尔夫球的 尤其是当你在高球场里 而且钻够了树丛以后。
especially:adv.尤其;特别;格外;十分; golf course:n.高尔夫球场; bushes:n.灌木;荒野;林区;(bush的复数)
Well, under the category of "What's the harm of silly stuff like this?" 如果你认为这些东西 是有点傻但无害“
category:n.种类,分类;[数]范畴; stuff:n.东西:物品:基本特征:v.填满:装满:标本:
this device, the ADE 651, was sold to the Iraqi government for 40,000 dollars apiece . 这东西, ADE 651 以一只四万美金的价钱 卖给了伊拉克政府
apiece:adv.每人;每个;各自地;
It's just like this one, completely worthless , in which it allegedly worked by " electrostatic magnetic ion attraction," 跟这个没两样, 都是一文不值的废物, 被说成是靠甚麽 静电 离子吸力 操作,
worthless:adj.无价值的;不值钱的;卑微的; allegedly:adv.依其申述;据说,据称; electrostatic:adj.静电的;静电学的; magnetic:adj.像磁铁的;有磁性的;磁的;富有吸引力的;
which translates to "pseudoscientific baloney " -- would be the nice word -- in which you string together a bunch of words that sound good, but it does absolutely nothing. 若译作 伪科学胡绉八扯 就好了-- 将一些动听的词儿凑成一串 却什么功能也没有
baloney:n.胡扯;熏肠;蠢货;int.荒谬(表示怀疑的感叹词);vt.对…胡扯; string:n.字符串; v.悬挂; adj.由弦乐器组成的; a bunch of:一群;一束;一堆; absolutely:adv.绝对地;完全地;
In this case, at trespass points, allowing people to go through because your little tracker device said they were okay, actually cost lives. 如果在禁区 你让人通过 就因你的这小探具说行 却有可能赔上性命。
trespass:vi.侵入;犯罪;打扰;冒犯;n.罪过;非法侵入;过失;擅自进入;
So there is a danger to pseudoscience , in believing in this sort of thing. 所以说伪科学及相信这类东西 都有危险.
pseudoscience:n.伪科学;假科学;
So what I want to talk about today is belief. 所以我今天要谈的是相信。
I want to believe, and you do too. 我想信, 你也是
And in fact, I think my thesis here is that belief is the natural state of things. 事实上,我今天的主题是 相信是一种自然反应
thesis:n.论文;论点;
It is the default option . We just believe. 是本能的一部分, 我们就爱信
default:n.违约;拖欠;缺席;缺陷;v.违约;拖欠;缺乏;不履行; option:n.选择;可选择的东西;
We believe all sorts of things. 我们什么都信
Belief is natural; disbelief , skepticism , science, is not natural. 相信是自然的 不信, 怀疑, 科学, 都不自然
disbelief:n.怀疑,不信; skepticism:n.怀疑论;怀疑的态度;
It's more difficult. 那比较困难
It's uncomfortable to not believe things. 因为拒绝相信令人不适
So like Fox Mulder on "X-Files," 就像X档案里的 Fox Mulder
who wants to believe in UFOs? Well, we all do, and the reason for that is because we have a belief engine in our brains. 谁想相信 UFOs? 嗯, 我们都想. 那是因为 我们脑里有个相信机制
Essentially , we are pattern-seeking primates . 事实上,我们是找寻模式的灵长类
Essentially:adv.本质上;本来; primates:n.灵长类;
We connect the dots: A is connected to B; B is connected to C. 我们找寻事物的关联: A和B; B和C
And sometimes A really is connected to B, and that's called association learning. 有时A真的和B有关 这叫做联想学习
association:n.协会;关联;联想;交往;
We find patterns, we make those connections, whether it's Pavlov's dog here associating the sound of the bell with the food, and then he salivates to the sound of the bell, or whether it's a Skinnerian rat, in which he's having an association between his behavior and a reward for it, and therefore he repeats the behavior. 我们找出模式,我们找寻事物的关联性 无论是巴甫洛夫的狗 对铃声和食物产生联想 于是一听到铃声就流口水 或是斯金纳的老鼠 对它的行为和奖赏 做出联想 于是不停重复一样的行为
associating:n.姘居;v.结合;使联合;把…联系在一起(associate的ing形式); salivates:v.(使)分泌(过多)唾液;(salivates是salivate的第三人称单数); reward:n.[劳经]报酬;报答;酬谢;v.[劳经]奖励;奖赏;
In fact, what Skinner discovered is that, if you put a pigeon in a box like this, and he has to press one of these two keys, and he tries to figure out what the pattern is, 事实上,斯金纳发现 如果你把鸽子放进这样一个盒子 它必须要按其中一个钮 他尝试找出模式
Skinner:n.剥皮工人;皮革商;骗子; pigeon:n.[鸟]鸽子;(非正式)易受骗的人;(非正式)责任;
and you give him a little reward in the hopper box there -- if you just randomly assign rewards such that there is no pattern, they will figure out any kind of pattern. 如果你从这里给它一点奖赏 就算你只是随意地给它奖赏 毫无计划的 鸽子仍然会找出一种模式
hopper:n.料斗;漏斗;单足跳者;跳虫; randomly:adv.随便地,任意地;无目的,胡乱地;未加计划地; assign:v.指定;指派;转让;分派;n.[法]受让人; rewards:n.[劳经]奖励; v.[劳经]奖赏;
And whatever they were doing just before they got the reward, they repeat that particular pattern. 无论它们在拿到奖赏前做了什么动作 它们便会不同重复那动作
Sometimes it was even spinning around twice counterclockwise , once clockwise and peck the key twice. 有时候是逆时针倒转两次 正转一次,然后琢按钮两次
spinning:n.纺纱(手艺):纺线v.(使)旋转:纺线:纺纱;(spin的现在分词) counterclockwise:adj.反时针方向的;adv.反时针方向; peck:vi.啄食; vt.啄食; n.许多;
And that's called superstition , and that, I'm afraid, we will always have with us. 这就是:迷信 很不幸地 我们也是如此
superstition:n.迷信;
I call this process "patternicity" -- that is, the tendency to find meaningful patterns in both meaningful and meaningless noise. 我称这个过程为“模式识别” 那是我们脑中将对有或没有意义的事物 都赋予模式意义的倾向
process:v.处理;加工;列队行进;n.过程,进行;方法,adj.经过特殊加工(或处理)的; tendency:n.倾向,趋势;癖好; meaningful:adj.严肃的;重要的;重大的;意味深长的;
When we do this process, we make two types of errors. 在这个过程中我们犯了两种错误
A Type I error, or false positive , is believing a pattern is real when it's not. 第一类是“假阳性” 相信一个假的模式 是真的
positive:adj.积极的;[数]正的,[医][化学]阳性的;确定的;n.正数;[摄]正片;
Our second type of error is a false negative . 第二类是“假阴性”
negative:adj.[数]负的;消极的;否定的;阴性的;n.否定;负数;[摄]底片;v.否定;拒绝;
A Type II error is not believing a pattern is real when it is. 第二类是不相信一个模式是真的 当它是真的时候。
So let's do a thought experiment. 让我们做一个思想实验
You are a hominid three million years ago walking on the plains of Africa. 你是一个三百万年前的原始人 走在非洲大陆上
hominid:n.原始人类;人科动物;adj.人类及其祖先的;
Your name is Lucy, okay? 你的名字是露西
And you hear a rustle in the grass. 你听见草丛里有一些动静
rustle:vi.发出沙沙声;vt.使…沙沙作响;n.沙沙声;急忙;飒飒声;
Is it a dangerous predator , or is it just the wind? 是危险的捕食者 还是风声?
predator:n.[动]捕食者;[动]食肉动物;掠夺者;
Your next decision could be the most important one of your life. 接下来你要做的决定将是你一生最重要的决定
Well, if you think that the rustle in the grass is a dangerous predator and it turns out it's just the wind, you've made an error in cognition , made a Type I error, false positive. 如果你把草丛里的风声 当作危险的捕食者 你产生了一个错误认知 一个假阳性错误
cognition:n.认识;知识;认识能力;
But no harm. You just move away. 但无所谓,你慢慢走开
You're more cautious . You're more vigilant . 你更小心、更谨慎
cautious:adj.谨慎的;十分小心的; vigilant:adj.警惕的;警醒的;注意的;警戒的;
On the other hand , if you believe that the rustle in the grass is just the wind, and it turns out it's a dangerous predator, you're lunch. 但如果你以为只是风声 结果却是危险的掠食者 你便成了它的午餐。
On the other hand:另一方面;
You've just won a Darwin award. 获得“达尔文奖”
You've been taken out of the gene pool . 从此以后从基因库中消失
gene pool:n.基因库(某物种的全部基因);
Now the problem here is that patternicities will occur whenever the cost of making a Type I error is less than the cost of making a Type II error. 问题是 只要类型一的代价 比类型二更轻微 “模式识别”就会一直存在
occur:v.发生;出现;存在于;出现在;
This is the only equation in the talk by the way . 这是整篇演讲里唯一的方程式。
equation:n.方程式,等式;相等;[化学]反应式; by the way:顺便说一下;
We have a pattern detection problem that is assessing the difference between a Type I and a Type II error is highly problematic , especially in split-second , life-and-death situations. 我们“模式识别”的问题 在于认清类型一和类型二的差别 这很令人困扰 尤其在这种刻不容发、生死交关的情况下
detection:n.侦查,探测;发觉,发现;察觉; assessing:v.评估,评定(性质、质量);估算,估定;(assess的现在分词) highly:adv.高度地;非常;非常赞许地; problematic:adj.问题的;有疑问的;不确定的; split-second:adj.霎那间发生的,瞬间发生的; life-and-death:adj.生死攸关的;重大的;
So the default position is just: Believe all patterns are real -- 于是我们的内建反应 便是”相信所有模式“
All rustles in the grass are dangerous predators and not just the wind. “所有草丛的声响都是危险掠食者 而不是风声。”
rustles:vi.发出沙沙声;vt.使…沙沙作响;n.沙沙声;急忙;飒飒声; predators:n.捕食性动物;实行弱肉强食的人(或机构);掠夺者;(predator的复数)
And so I think that we evolved ... 经过一系列的演化
evolved:v.(使)逐渐形成;进化;进化形成;(evolve的过去分词和过去式)
there was a natural selection for the propensity for our belief engines, our pattern-seeking brain processes , to always find meaningful patterns and infuse them with these sort of predatory or intentional agencies that I'll come back to. 我们的信任倾向经过了一系列物竞天择的过程 我们找寻模式的大脑 总是在找寻有意义的模式 并且将这些模式与 一些令人恐惧的原型产生联想。
natural selection:n.自然选择;物竞天择; propensity:n.倾向,习性;癖好,偏爱; processes:n.过程; v.处理(process的第三人称单数形式); infuse:v.使具有,注入(某特性);全面影响;泡制(草药等); predatory:adj.掠夺的,掠夺成性的;食肉的;捕食生物的; intentional:adj.故意的;蓄意的;策划的; agencies:n.代理;代理处(agency的复数);
So for example, what do you see here? 举例来说,你觉得这是什么?
It's a horse head, that's right. 这是个马头,没错
It looks like a horse. It must be a horse. 它看上去像是匹马,这一定是匹马。
That's a pattern. 这是个模式
And is it really a horse? 这真的是匹马吗?
Or is it more like a frog? 还是它比较像只青蛙?
See, our pattern detection device, which appears to be located in the anterior cingulate cortex -- it's our little detection device there -- can be easily fooled, and this is the problem. 我们的模式探测装置 在我们脑中的前扣带皮层 一个小小的探测装置 是很容易被骗的
located:adj.位于; v.确定…的准确地点; (locate的过去分词和过去式) anterior:adj.前面的;先前的; cingulate:adj.有色带的;(昆虫腹部)有色带环绕的; cortex:n.[解剖]皮质;树皮;果皮;
For example, what do you see here? 举例来说,你觉得这是什么?
Yes, of course, it's a cow. 是的,是只母牛
Once I prime the brain -- it's called cognitive priming -- once I prime the brain to see it, it pops back out again even without the pattern that I've imposed on it. 一旦我启动了脑 - 称作认知启动 一旦我启动脑去看 它便会看见,寻找,就算我没去想模式
prime:adj.主要的; v.极好地; n.初期; v.使准备好; cognitive:adj.认知的,认识的; priming:n.起爆; v.事先指点; (prime的现在分词) imposed:adj.强加的;施加的;应用的;v.欺骗(impose的过去分词);把…强加于;
And what do you see here? 这又是什么?
Some people see a Dalmatian dog. 有些人看到斑点狗
Dalmatian:n.达尔马西亚狗;达尔马西亚人;adj.达尔马西亚的;
Yes, there it is. And there's the prime. 在这里,于是我们启动了脑
So when I go back without the prime, your brain already has the model so you can see it again. 就算我们把指示拿掉 你的脑还是留着模式 你还是可以看到
What do you see here? 这又是什么?
Planet Saturn . Yes, that's good. 土星,没错
Saturn:n.[天]土星;农业之神(罗马神话中的一个形象);
How about here? 这个呢?
Just shout out anything you see. 想到什么就喊出来
That's a good audience, Chris. 这群观众很优秀,Chris
Because there's nothing in this. Well, allegedly there's nothing. 因为图片裡什么也没有,据说没有
This is an experiment done by Jennifer Whitson at U.T. Austin on corporate environments and whether feelings of uncertainty and out of control makes people see illusory patterns. 这是奥斯顿大学的 Jennifer Whitson 所做的一个实验 她想知道在企业环境中 不确定和失控的感觉 是否会让人看见一些虚幻的模式
corporate:adj.公司的;组成公司(或团体)的;法人的;社团的; uncertainty:n.不确定,不可靠; illusory:adj.错觉的;幻影的;虚假的;产生幻觉的;
That is, almost everybody sees the planet Saturn. 就是说,虽然每个人都看得到土星
People that are put in a condition of feeling out of control are more likely to see something in this, which is allegedly patternless. 但如果你把人放在一个感觉失控的状况下 他就有可能在图片里看出什么 就算里面什么模式也没有
In other words, the propensity to find these patterns goes up when there's a lack of control. 换句话说,越是失控的时候 想到这些模式的可能就更大
For example, baseball players are notoriously superstitious when they're batting, but not so much when they're fielding. 举例说,棒球球员在打击的时候 迷信是出了名的 但守备的时候却不然
notoriously:adv.众所周知地;声名狼藉地;恶名昭彰地; superstitious:adj.迷信的;由迷信引起的;
Because fielders are successful 90 to 95 percent of the time. 因为守备的成功率 高达百分之90到95
fielders:外场员(fielder的复数);
The best batters fail seven out of 10 times. 就算最好的打击手,十次里也有七次是失败
batters:n.击球手; vt.猛击; vi.接连猛击;
So their superstitions , their patternicities, are all associated with feelings of lack of control and so forth. 于是它们的迷信,他们的模式识别 都和感觉失控有些 附带关系
superstitions:n.迷信(superstition的复数); associated:adj.有关联的; v.联想; (associate的过去分词和过去式)
What do you see in this particular one here, in this field? 你看见什么了吗?
Anybody see an object there? 有人看见任何物体吗?
There actually is something here, but it's degraded . 其实是有的 只是模糊了
degraded:adj.退化的; v.分解; (degrade的过去分词和过去式)
While you're thinking about that, this was an experiment done by Susan Blackmore, a psychologist in England, who showed subjects this degraded image and then ran a correlation between their scores on an ESP test: 在你想着这件事的时候 这是英国心理学家 Susan Blackmore 做的一个实验 她让参与者看这个模糊的图像 然后再将结果和他们在 超感知测验的分数做比较
psychologist:n.心理学家,心理学者; correlation:n.[数]相关,关联;相互关系;
How much did they believe in the paranormal , supernatural , angels and so forth. 他们多相信超科学 超自然、天使种种
paranormal:adj.超常的;超过正常范围的; supernatural:adj.超自然的;神奇的,不可思议的;n.超自然现象;不可思议的事;
And those who scored high on the ESP scale , tended to not only see more patterns in the degraded images but incorrect patterns. 那些在超感知测验上拿高分的人 不但从图像上看到更多 模式 而且还是些不正确的模式
scale:n.规模;比例;鳞;刻度;天平;数值范围;v.衡量;攀登;剥落;生水垢; images:n.印象;声誉;形象;画像;雕像;(image的第三人称单数和复数)
Here is what you show subjects. 这是他们给参与者看的图像
The fish is degraded 20 percent, 50 percent and then the one I showed you, 70 percent. 这条鱼模糊了百分之20到50 刚刚你们看到的 是百分之70
A similar experiment was done by another [Swiss] psychologist named Peter Brugger, who found significantly more meaningful patterns were perceived on the right hemisphere , via the left visual field , than the left hemisphere. 另一个英国心理学家也做过相似的实验 他是 Peter Brugger 他发现右脑更能识别出有意义的模式 经过负责视觉的左脑 更甚左脑本身
significantly:adv.意味深长地;值得注目地; perceived:v.注意到;意识到;将…视为;认为;(perceive的过去式和过去分词) hemisphere:n.半球; via:prep.通过;经由;n.道路;[医]管道; visual field:na.视野;
So if you present subjects the images such that it's going to end up on the right hemisphere instead of the left, then they're more likely to see patterns than if you put it on the left hemisphere. 如果你让参与者看这些影像 它们出现在右脑,而不是左脑 它们更容易识别模式 比你使用左脑时更有可能
Our right hemisphere appears to be where a lot of this patternicity occurs . 我们的右脑似乎 更容易识别出模式
occurs:v.重现(occur的第三人称单数);
So what we're trying to do is bore into the brain to see where all this happens. 我们希望到脑子里看看 这到底都是在哪里发生的
bore:v.钻孔;使烦扰;n.孔;令人讨厌的人;
Brugger and his colleague , Christine Mohr, gave subjects L-DOPA . Brgger 和他的研究伙伴 Christine Mohr 让这些参与者使用左旋多巴
colleague:n.同事,同僚; L-DOPA:n.左旋多巴(等于levodopa);
L-DOPA's a drug, as you know, given for treating Parkinson's disease, which is related to a decrease in dopamine . 左旋多巴是一种用来治疗帕金森氏病的药物 帕金森氏病和多巴胺降低有关
treating:v.以…态度对待;把…看作;处理;讨论;(treat的现在分词) decrease:v.降低;减少;缩小;减弱;n.减少;减小量;所减少的总量;减缩位置; dopamine:n.[生化]多巴胺(一种治脑神经病的药物);
L-DOPA increases dopamine. 而左旋多巴会增加多巴胺
An increase of dopamine caused subjects to see more patterns than those that did not receive the dopamine. 增加多巴胺让参与者 识别更多模式 比那些没有收到多巴胺的参与者更多。
So dopamine appears to be the drug associated with patternicity. 多巴胺和模式识别 似乎有些关联
In fact, neuroleptic drugs that are used to eliminate psychotic behavior, things like paranoia , delusions and hallucinations , these are patternicities. 事实上 那些用来降低神经病症的神经安定药 偏执、妄想 和幻觉 其实都是模式识别的一种
neuroleptic:n.安定药,精神抑制药;adj.[药]安定的;抑制神经的; eliminate:v.消除;排除; psychotic:adj.精神病的;n.精神病患者;疯子; paranoia:n.[心理]偏执狂,[内科]妄想狂; delusions:n.[内科]妄想;错觉(delusion的复数形式); hallucinations:n.幻视,幻听;幻觉;幻象;(hallucination的复数)
They're incorrect patterns. They're false positives . They're Type I errors. 他们是错误的模式。第一类的,假阳性
positives:n.实在的事物;阳极板(positive的复数);
And if you give them drugs that are dopamine antagonists , they go away. 如果你给他们药物 阻断多巴胺受体 这些错误模式就会消失
antagonists:对抗者;反派角色(antagonist的名词复数);
That is, you decrease the amount of dopamine, and their tendency to see patterns like that decreases . 意思是,如果你减低多巴胺 他们错认模式的几率 就会降低
decreases:减少(decrease的复数);
On the other hand, amphetamines like cocaine are dopamine agonists. 从另一方面来说,像可卡因那样的苯异丙胺 那样的多巴胺激动剂
amphetamines:n.安非他命(amphetamine的复数); cocaine:n.[药]可卡因;
They increase the amount of dopamine. 会提升多巴胺的分泌量
So you're more likely to feel in a euphoric state, creativity, find more patterns. 你更容易感觉飘飘然 增进创意,发现更多模式
euphoric:adj.欣快的;精神愉快的;
In fact, I saw Robin Williams recently talk about how he thought he was much funnier when he was doing cocaine, when he had that issue, than now. 事实上,我最近刚见过罗宾·威廉斯 我们谈论到他过去使用可卡因的时候更为有趣 当他还有药物问题的时候
Robin:知更鸟,罗宾(人名) recently:adv.最近;新近;
So perhaps more dopamine is related to more creativity. 或许更多多巴胺 代表更有创意
Dopamine, I think, changes our signal-to-noise ratio . 我认为多巴胺会改变 我们脑里的信噪比
signal-to-noise ratio:n.信噪比;信号噪声比;讯息对杂讯比;讯杂比;
That is, how accurate we are in finding patterns. 决定我们辨识出的模式 是对或错
accurate:adj.精确的;
If it's too low, you're more likely to make too many Type II errors. 如果多巴胺太低,你有可能做出第二类的错误决定
You miss the real patterns. You don't want to be too skeptical . 忽略太多模式。你不想太多疑
skeptical:adj.怀疑的;怀疑论的,不可知论的;
If you're too skeptical, you'll miss the really interesting good ideas. 如果你太多疑,你可能会错失一些很棒的点子
Just right, you're creative , and yet you don't fall for too much baloney. 刚刚好,可以很有创意,也不会太容易受骗
creative:adj.创造性的;
Too high and maybe you see patterns everywhere. 多巴胺太高,变得过分敏感
Every time somebody looks at you, you think people are staring at you. 每次有人看你,你就认为他们在瞪你
staring:adj.凝视的,目不转睛的;显眼的;v.凝视;盯着看;显眼;(stare的现在分词)
You think people are talking about you. 你觉得人们在谈论你
And if you go too far on that, that's just simply labeled as madness. 如果情况太严重 就会被贴上“疯狂”的标签
labeled:adj.有标签的; v.示踪; (label的过去分词和过去式)
It's a distinction perhaps we might make between two Nobel laureates , Richard Feynman and John Nash. 这就是费曼(物理学家) 和约翰·纳什(有妄想症的数学家) 两个诺贝尔得主的差别
distinction:n.区别;区分;差别;卓越; laureates:adj.戴桂冠的;荣誉的;n.桂冠诗人;得奖者;vt.使戴桂冠;
One sees maybe just the right number of patterns to win a Nobel Prize . 一个感知的模式 刚好足够让她赢得诺贝尔
Nobel Prize:n.诺贝尔奖;
The other one also, but maybe too many patterns. 另外一个也是,只是有些太多了
And we then call that schizophrenia . 就成了精神分裂症
schizophrenia:n.[内科]精神分裂症;
So the signal-to-noise ratio then presents us with a pattern-detection problem. 信噪比让我们明白对模式太敏感或太不敏感都会出问题
And of course you all know exactly what this is, right? 你们都知道 这是什么吧
And what pattern do you see here? 你在这里看到什么?
Again, I'm putting your anterior cingulate cortex to the test here, causing you conflicting pattern detections. 我现在在考验你的前状束 让你同时辨识出两种模式,产生冲突
conflicting:adj.互相斗争的;相冲突的;v.冲突,抵触;(conflict的现在分词)
You know, of course, this is Via Uno shoes. 这是一双Via Uno的鞋
These are sandals . 拖鞋
sandals:n.凉鞋;(sandal的复数)
Pretty sexy feet, I must say. 这脚真的很性感,我必须说
Maybe a little Photoshopped. 虽然可能修片修的有点太过了
And of course, the ambiguous figures that seem to flip-flop back and forth . 当然,还有一些暧昧不明的形象 持续改变着
ambiguous:adj.模糊不清的;引起歧义的; flip-flop:n.[电子]触发器; vt.使翻转; vi.作后手翻; adj.后手翻的; v.啪嗒啪嗒响着; back and forth:前后移动的,来回的,反复的;
It turns out what you're thinking about a lot influences what you tend to see. 似乎你在想的是什么 就会影响你 看到的是什么
influences:n.影响; v.影响;
And you see the lamp here, I know. 我知道大家看到的都是灯
lamp:n.灯;台灯;(理疗用的)发热灯;
Because the lights on here. 因为它是亮着的
Of course, thanks to the environmentalist movement we're all sensitive to the plight of marine mammals . 当然,感谢那些环保运动 我们都知道海底哺乳动物的生存困境
environmentalist:n.环保人士;环境论者;研究环境问题的专家; sensitive:adj.敏感的;感觉的;易受影响的;n.敏感的人;有灵异能力的人; plight:n.困境;境况;誓约;vt.保证;约定; marine:adj.海的;海产的;海生的;海船的;n.(尤指美国或英国皇家)海军陆战队士兵; mammals:n.哺乳动物;(mammal的复数)
So what you see in this particular ambiguous figure is, of course, the dolphins, right? 所以大家在这里所看见的 一定是,海豚,对吧
You see a dolphin here, and there's a dolphin, and there's a dolphin. 这里有个海豚 这里有个海豚 这里还有个海豚
dolphin:n.海豚;
That's a dolphin tail there, guys. 这里有个海豚尾巴,同志们
(Laughter) (笑声)
If we can give you conflicting data, again, your ACC is going to be going into hyperdrive . 如果我们给你的影响在脑中造成衝突 就像按下了你脑中前状束的加速推动器
hyperdrive:n.超光速推进装置;
If you look down here, it's fine. If you look up here, then you get conflicting data. 如果你看这里,没问题,看看上面,就产生了茅盾
And then we have to flip the image for you to see that it's a set up. 于是我们把影像翻过来 你就能看出这是安排的
The impossible crate illusion . 不可能的影像造成幻觉
crate:n.板条箱;篓;v.将某物装入大木箱或板条箱中; illusion:n.幻觉,错觉;错误的观念或信仰;
It's easy to fool the brain in 2D. 用2D影像欺骗大脑很容易
So you say, "Aw, come on Shermer, anybody can do that in a Psych 101 text with an illusion like that." 你可以说“拜托,这很简单 大一的心理学课本都有”
Well here's the late, great Jerry Andrus' "impossible crate" illusion in 3D, in which Jerry is standing inside the impossible crate. 让我们看看 Jerry Andrus* 创造出来的 3D幻觉方框 看上去 Jerry 像站在里面 站在这个“不可能的”方框里面
And he was kind enough to post this and give us the reveal . 它很好心地加上了这个解释 让我们看出其中的玄妙
reveal:v.显示;透露;揭露;泄露;n.揭露;暴露;门侧,窗侧;
Of course, camera angle is everything. The photographer is over there, and this board appears to overlap with this one, and this one with that one, and so on. 当然,摄影角度能改变很多事情,摄影师站在那里 于是这个板子看上去就像在这个板子上,这个压在这个上,之类的
overlap:n.重叠;重复;v.部分重叠;与…同时发生;
But even when I take it away, the illusion is so powerful because of how are brains are wired to find those certain kinds of patterns. 但就算我告诉你是什么回事 这个幻觉已经在你大脑里留下了深刻的印象 大脑仍会找到这个熟悉的模式
This is a fairly new one that throws us off because of the conflicting patterns of comparing this angle with that angle. 这是一个比较新的例子 当我们比较这两个不同角度 大脑里产生的模式衝=冲突让我们迷惑
comparing:v.比较;对比;(compare的现在分词)
In fact, it's the exact same picture side by side . 事实上,这是两张完全一样的照片
side by side:adj.并肩的;并行的;
So what you're doing is comparing that angle instead of with this one, but with that one. 因为你比较这个角度 而不是那个角度
And so your brain is fooled. 欺骗了你的大脑
Yet again, your pattern detection devices are fooled. 于是,你的模式辨识程式又被骗了
devices:n.[机][计]设备;[机]装置;[电子]器件(device的复数);
Faces are easy to see because we have an additional evolved facial recognition software in our temporal lobes . 我们很容易看到脸 因为大脑颞叶裡的面孔辨识软件 经过千百年的演化 变得特别先进
additional:adj.附加的,额外的; facial:adj.面部的,表面的;脸的,面部用的;n.美容,美颜;脸部按摩; recognition:n.识别;认识;承认;认可; temporal:adj.暂时的;当时的;现世的;n.世间万物;暂存的事物; lobes:n.耳垂;脑叶(lobe的复数形式);
Here's some faces on the side of a rock. 这是石头旁出现的一张脸
on the side of:拥护…;站在…一边;赞助;
I'm actually not even sure if this is -- this might be Photoshopped. 事实上我认为 - 这有可能是电脑做的
But anyway, the point is still made. 但没关系,重点是一样的
Now which one of these looks odd to you? 这两张照片哪张比较奇怪?
odd:adj.古怪的;奇数的;n.奇数;
In a quick reaction , which one looks odd? 立即反应下,哪张比较奇怪?
reaction:n.反应,感应;反动,复古;反作用;
The one on the left. Okay. So I'll rotate it so it'll be the one on the right. 左边那张。好的,让我们看看 是右边那张
rotate:v.旋转;转动;轮换;使…轮流;
And you are correct. 你是对的
A fairly famous illusion -- it was first done with Margaret Thatcher . 很有名的错觉 - 刚开始是撒切尔夫人
Thatcher:n.盖屋匠;
Now, they trade up the politicians every time. 现在他们会定期更换政治人物
politicians:n.政治家;(蔑)政客;(美)政治贩;(politician的复数)
Well, why is this happening? 为什么会这样呢?
Well, we know exactly where it happens, in the temporal lobe, right across, sort of above your ear there, in a little structure called the fusiform gyrus . 我们知道这错觉是在哪里组成的 在颞叶,右边,你的耳朵上面一点 一个叫做梭状回的小组织
structure:n.结构;构造;建筑物;vt.组织;构成;建造; fusiform:adj.梭形的;纺锭状的;两端渐细的; gyrus:n.[解剖]脑回(形成大脑半球的组织);回转;
And there's two types of cells that do this, that record facial features either globally, or specifically these large, rapid-firing cells, first look at the general face. 有两种细胞负责 记得这些脸面特征 或是这些巨大的,快速的细胞 它们会先辨识脸的大概
specifically:adv.特别地;明确地; rapid-firing:adj.速射的;
So you recognize Obama immediately. 所以你马上可以认出这是欧巴马
recognize:v.认识;认出;辨别出;承认;意识到;
And then you notice something quite a little bit odd about the eyes and the mouth. 然后你开始注意到 眼睛和嘴巴那边似乎有些怪
Especially when they're upside down , you're engaging that general facial recognition software there. 尤其我们把它倒着放的时候 你便开始启动大脑里的面孔辨识软件
upside down:adj.颠倒的;乱七八糟的; engaging:adj.有趣的; v.吸引住(注意力、兴趣); (engage的现在分词)
Now I said back in our little thought experiment, you're a hominid walking on the plains of Africa. 之前我提到一个小小的思考实验 想象你是个走在非洲大陆上的原人
Is it just the wind or a dangerous predator? 想着到底是风还是掠食者?
What's the difference between those? 这两者的差别在哪里?
Well, the wind is inanimate; the dangerous predator is an intentional agent . 风不是一个生命体 危险的掠食者却是有意识的作用者
agent:n.代理人,代理商;药剂;特工;v由…作中介;由…代理;adj.代理的;
And I call this process agenticity. 我把这个过程称为 造神“ (赋予作用)
That is the tendency to infuse patterns with meaning, intention and agency , often invisible beings from the top down. 尝试赋予这些模式 意义、意识、和作用 把它们想作是天上来的一些隐性的东西
agency:n.代理,中介;代理处,经销处; invisible:adj.看不见的;n.看不见的人或物;
This is an idea that we got from a fellow TEDster here, Dan Dennett, who talked about taking the intentional stance . 这个想法是从 TED 的一位讲者 Dan Dennett 来的 它所谈到的 意向性立场
stance:n.立场;姿态;位置;准备击球姿势;
So it's a type of that expanded to explain, I think, a lot of different things: souls, spirits, ghosts , gods, demons , angels, aliens, intelligent designers, government conspiracists and all manner of invisible agents with power and intention, are believed to haunt our world and control our lives. 我想这可以解释很多事情 灵魂、鬼魂、神怪、天使 外星人、聪明的造物者 政府的阴谋 全都是些隐形的作用者 用我们的有力的意向,去相信 影响我们的世界、控制我们的生活
expanded:adj.扩充的;展开的;vt.扩大(expand的过去式); ghosts:n.鬼魂;幽灵;一点点;v.无声地行进(ghost的第三人称单数和复数) demons:n.恶魔;魔鬼;心魔;邪念;(demon的复数) intelligent:adj.有才智的;悟性强的;聪明的;有智力的 conspiracists:阴谋理论家;(conspiracists是conspiracist的复数) agents:n.代理人,经纪人;原动力;(agent的复数) haunt:v.出没;作祟;n.栖息地;常去的地方;
I think it's the basis of animism and polytheism and monotheism . 我觉得这是万物有灵论 多神论和一神论的来源
animism:n.泛灵论;万物有灵论;神力主宰论(认为有某种力量掌管宇宙); monotheism:n.一神教,一神论;
It's the belief that aliens are somehow more advanced than us, more moral than us, and the narratives always are that they're coming here to save us and rescue us from on high. 一种相信外来灵体 比我们更先进、更有道德 而且故事每次都是 它们将会从天而降来拯救我们
somehow:adv.以某种方法;莫名其妙地; advanced:adj.先进的; v.前进; (advance的过去式和过去分词形式) moral:n.寓意;品行;教益;adj.道德的;道义上的;道德上的;品行端正的; narratives:n.叙述,故事;叙述的手法(narrative复数); rescue:n.救援;抢救;营救;获救;v.抢救;营救;援救;
The intelligent designer's always portrayed as this super intelligent, moral being that comes down to design life. 聪明的造物主总是被描写成 这个绝顶聪明的道德模范 创造万物
portrayed:v.描绘;描画;描写;表现;扮演(某角色)(portray的过去分词和过去式)
Even the idea that government can rescue us -- that's no longer the wave of the future, but that is, I think, a type of agenticity: projecting somebody up there, big and powerful, will come rescue us. 甚至政府能够拯救我们的这种想法 已经不是很热门了 但我认为这仍然和”造神“有关 心理投射在我们至上会有什么东西 万能又伟大,要来拯救我们
And this is also, I think, the basis of conspiracy theories. 我想这也是阴谋论的基础
conspiracy:n.阴谋;共谋;阴谋集团;
There's somebody hiding behind there pulling the strings , whether it's the Illuminati or the Bilderbergers. 某些事物正躲在某处,控制着我们 无论是个先觉者 还是标德堡秘密大会成员
strings:一串,悬挂(string的第三人称单数和复数) Illuminati:n.先觉者;
But this is a pattern detection problem, isn't it? 但我们都有模式认知的问题,不是吗
Some patterns are real and some are not. 某些模式是真的,某些不是
Was JFK assassinated by a conspiracy or by a lone assassin? 肯尼迪究竟是被杀手谋杀,还是背后有更大的阴谋?
assassinated:v.(尤为政治目的)暗杀,行刺(assassinate的过去分词和过去式)
Well, if you go there -- there's people there on any given day -- like when I went there, here -- showing me where the different shooters were. 如果你到那里去 - 一年四季都有人在那里 我在那里的时候,许多人告诉我狙击手的藏身处
shooters:n.射手;射击武器;枪;(shooter的复数)
My favorite one was he was in the manhole . 我最喜欢的说法是躲下水道里
manhole:n.人孔;检修孔;
And he popped out at the last second, took that shot. 最后一秒从井盖跳出来,射杀了他
But of course, Lincoln was assassinated by a conspiracy. 但当然,林肯便是被阴谋暗杀的
So we can't just uniformly dismiss all patterns like that. 所以我们也不能完全忽略 所有的模式
uniformly:adv.一致地; dismiss:v.不予考虑;摒弃;消除;解雇;
Because, let's face it, some patterns are real. 因为,事实上,某些模式是真的
Some conspiracies really are true. 某些阴谋也是真的
conspiracies:密谋(conspiracy的名词复数);
Explains a lot, maybe. 这能解释很多事情
And 9/11 has a conspiracy theory. It is a conspiracy. 也有人用阴谋论来解释911
We did a whole issue on it. 于是我们特别做了一整集的专题讨论它
Nineteen members of Al Queda plotting to fly planes into buildings constitutes a conspiracy. 19个盖达组织成员策划让飞机撞上大楼 这是阴谋
plotting:v.密谋;暗中策划;(在地图上)标出;绘制(图表);(plot的现在分词) constitutes:v.被算作;组成;构成;(合法或正式地)成立,设立;(constitute的第三人称单数)
But that's not what the "9/11 truthers" think. 但“911真相组”不是这么想的
They think it was an inside job by the Bush administration. 他们认为是小布希政府做的
Well, that's a whole other lecture . 我可以用一整个演讲来讲这个话题
lecture:n.演讲;讲座;讲课;谴责;v.开讲座;讲授;讲课;指责;告诫
You know how we know that 9/11 was not orchestrated by the Bush administration? 但你知道我们为什么确定 那不是小布希政府做的吗?
orchestrated:v.编配(或创作管弦乐曲); (orchestrate的过去分词和过去式)
Because it worked. 因为它最后成功了
(Laughter) (笑声)
(Applause) (掌声)
So we are natural-born dualists. 我们都是天生的二元论者
natural-born:adj.天生的;
Our agenticity process comes from the fact that we can enjoy movies like these. 我们造神的心态 和我们享受这类电影的心态是一样的
Because we can imagine, in essence , continuing on. 说到底,都是因为我们的想象力 再来
in essence:本质上;其实;大体上;
We know that if you stimulate the temporal lobe, you can produce a feeling of out-of-body experiences, near-death experiences, which you can do by just touching an electrode to the temporal lobe there. 我们知道如果你刺激颞叶 便可以创造灵魂出窍的体验 濒死体验 只要微微刺激颞叶
stimulate:v.刺激;激发;促进;激励; out-of-body:adj.体外的;亲身的; electrode:n.[电]电极;电焊条;
Or you can do it through loss of consciousness , by accelerating in a centrifuge . 你也可以靠着催化离心机 便会失去意识
consciousness:n.意识;知觉;觉悟;感觉; accelerating:adj.促进的,[物]加速的;催化的; centrifuge:vt.用离心机分离;使…受离心作用;n.离心机;[机][化工]离心分离机;
You get a hypoxia , or a lower oxygen. 一旦组织缺氧
hypoxia:n.[医]低氧;组织缺氧;氧不足;
And the brain then senses that there's an out-of-body experience . 大脑便会产生 一种灵魂出窍的体验
out-of-body experience:n.离体体验;
You can use -- which I did, went out and did -- 你可以用这个,我试过
Michael Persinger's God Helmet, that bombards your temporal lobes with electromagnetic waves. Michael Persinger的”神奇头盔“ 它用电波刺激你的颞叶
bombards:vt.轰炸;炮击;n.射石炮; electromagnetic:adj.电磁的;
And you get a sense of out-of-body experience. 让你达到灵魂出窍的体验
So I'm going to end here with a short video clip that sort of brings all this together. 我现在要用一个短片 作为总结
clip:v.剪辑;修剪;削减;固定;n.夹;夹子;速度;钳;
It's just a minute and a half. 它有一分钟半
It ties together all this into the power of expectation and the power of belief. 能证明我们预期和相信的力量有多么强大
expectation:n.预料;预期;期待;希望;指望;
Go ahead and roll it. 让我们开始
Narrator : This is the venue they chose for their fake auditions for an advert for lip balm . 旁白:我们在这里假装 要为一个护唇膏的广告片选角
Narrator:n.讲述者;(电视节目中的)幕后解说员;旁白员; venue:n.审判地;犯罪地点;发生地点;集合地点; fake:n.假货;骗子;假动作;v.捏造;假装…的样子;adj.伪造的; auditions:n.试演; v.试演; advert:vi.注意;谈到;n.广告; balm:n.香油;镇痛软膏;香峰草,香树膏;
Woman: We're hoping we can use part of this in a national commercial , right? 旁白:我们希望可以选一些段落 在全国播出
commercial:adj.贸易的;商业的;赢利的;以获利为目的的;n.(电台或电视播放的)广告;
And this is test on some lip balms that we have over here. 我们要测试这些 护唇膏
balms:n.香油;镇痛软膏;香峰草,香树膏;
And these are our models who are going to help us, 这两位模特儿罗杰和迈特
Roger and Matt. 会帮助我们
Roger:n.罗杰;[男名]男子名;int.明白;v.与某人性交;
And we have our own lip balm, and we have a leading brand . 这是我们的护唇膏 另外还有一个著名品牌
brand:v.铭刻于,铭记;打烙印于;印…商标于;n.商标,牌子;烙印;
Would you have any problem kissing our models to test it? 你需要和这两位接吻 会有困难吗?
Girl: No. 女孩:不会
Woman: You wouldn't? (Girl: No.) Woman: You'd think that was fine. 旁白:不会吗?(女孩:不会。)旁白:你觉得没问题
Girl: That would be fine. (Woman: Okay.) 女孩:没问题。(旁白:好的。)
So this is a blind test . 这是个盲测试
blind test:n.盲测(比较产品质量或受欢迎程度,参加者不知道产品名称);
I'm going to ask you to go ahead and put a blindfold on. 我需要你 把眼睛盖上
blindfold:n.障眼物;眼罩;v.(用布等)蒙住…的眼睛;adj/adv.被蒙住眼睛的(地)
Kay, now can you see anything? (Girl: No.) 你能看到任何东西吗?(女孩:不能)
Pull it so you can't even see down. (Girl: Okay.) 把它往下拉一点,确定你不会看到下面(女孩:好的)
Woman: It's completely blind now, right? 旁白:现在什么也看不到了对吗?
Girl: Yes. (Woman: Okay.) 女孩:是的。(旁边:好的)
Now, what I'm going to be looking for in this test is how it protects your lips, the texture , right, and maybe if you can discern any flavor or not. 现在,我们所需要的是 护唇膏如何保护你的嘴唇 它的质感,对吗 看看你是否能察觉任何味道
texture:n.质地;纹理;结构;本质,实质; discern:v.识别;觉察出;了解; flavor:n.情味,风味;香料;滋味;v.加味于;
Girl: Okay. (Woman: Have you ever done a kissing test before?) 女孩:好的(旁白:你有参与过任何接吻测试吗?)
Girl: No. 女孩:没有
Woman: Take a step here. 旁白:往这里走一步
Okay, now I'm going to ask you to pucker up. 好的,现在我要你把嘴嘟起来
pucker:vt.折叠;使起皱;使缩拢;vi.折叠;皱起;缩拢;n.皱纹;皱褶;
Pucker up big and lean in just a little bit, okay? 嘟起来,然后靠近点,好的
lean:v.前俯(或后仰):倾斜:adj.肉少的:难以赚钱的:贫乏的:n.瘦肉:
(Music) (音乐)
(Laughter) (笑声)
(Laughter) (笑声)
Woman: Okay. 好的
And, Jennifer, how did that feel? 珍妮佛,你感觉如何
Jennifer: Good. 珍妮佛:很好
(Laughter) (笑声)
Girl: Oh my God! 女孩:喔!老天!
(Laughter) (笑声)
Michael Shermer: Thank you very much. Thank you. Thanks. Michael Shermer:非常谢谢各位,谢谢。谢谢你们。