|
|
MichaelBushWWW_2018V-_员工享受工作的原因_
|
We survey CEOs, police officers, truck drivers, cooks, engineers. |
我们采访了CEO,警官, 卡车司机,厨师,工程师。 |
survey:n.调查;测量;审视;纵览;vt.调查;勘测;俯瞰;vi.测量土地;
|
If people are working, we've surveyed them. |
只要是在工作的人,我们就采访他们。 |
surveyed:v.调查,俯视(survey的过去式和过去分词形式);考察,调研;
|
And what we know, in terms of their happiness: workers all want the same things. |
就我们知道的快乐而言: 工作者想要的东西一样。 |
[The Way We Work] |
【我们的工作方式】 |
There's three billion working people in the world. |
全世界有30亿劳动人口。 |
And about 40 percent of them would say they're happy at work. |
大约40%的人说他们 在工作时感到快乐。 |
That means about 1.8 billion, or almost two billion people, are not happy at work. |
这意味着有18亿人或大约20亿人, 在工作中并不快乐。 |
What does that do, both to those people and the organizations that they work in? |
这个现象 对那些人和他们工作的 组织有什么影响呢? |
organizations:n.组织,构造,有机体(organization的复数);组织机构;
|
Well, let's talk about money. |
让我们来谈谈金钱。 |
Organizations that have a lot of happy employees have three times the revenue growth, compared to organizations where that's not true. |
拥有快乐员工的组织的 营收增速是员工不快乐的 组织的三倍。 |
revenue:n.收益;营业额;税务署; compared:adj.比较的,对照的; v.相比; (compare的过去式和过去分词)
|
They outperform the stock market by a factor of three. |
它们在股票市场上的表现也高出三倍。 |
outperform:vt.胜过;做得比…好; stock market:股票市场;证券市场;股票交易; factor:n.因素;要素;[物]因数;代理人;v.做代理商;v.把…作为因素计入;
|
And if you look at employee turnover , it's half that of organizations that have a lot of unhappy employees. |
如果你看员工流动率, 员工快乐的公司是不快乐公司的一半。 |
turnover:n.翻覆;[贸易]营业额;流通量;半圆卷饼;失误;adj.翻过来的;可翻转的;
|
The miracle thing is, you don't have to spend more money to make this happen. |
神奇的是, 你不需要花很多钱就能做到这一点。 |
miracle:n.奇迹,奇迹般的人或物;惊人的事例;
|
It's not about ping-pong tables and massages and pet walking. |
它跟是否有乒乓球桌、 按摩服务和能遛宠物无关。 |
massages:n.按摩; v.按摩; (massage的第三人称单数和复数)
|
It's not about the perks . |
这不是福利问题。 |
perks:n.特权; v.打扮;
|
It's all about how they're treated by their leaders and by the people that they work with. |
这事关他们如何被他们的领导 和他们的同事对待。 |
treated:v.以…态度对待;把…看作;(treat的过去分词和过去式)
|
So I'd like to share a few ideas that create happy employees. |
所以我想要分享几个 创造快乐雇员的主意。 |
Idea number one: in organizations where employees are happy, what you find is two things are present: trust and respect. |
主意一: 在员工感到快乐的组织中, 你会发现两件事情: 信任和尊重。 |
Leaders often say, "We trust our employees. |
领导者常说, “我们相信我们的员工。 |
We empower our employees." |
我们赋予员工权力。” |
empower:vt.授权,允许;使能够;
|
And then when an employee needs a laptop -- and this is a true example -- 15 people have to approve that laptop. |
而当员工需要台笔记本电脑时—— 这是个真实的例子—— 必须有15个人批准才行。 |
laptop:n.便携式电脑;笔记本电脑; approve:v.批准;赞成;同意;核准;
|
So for the employee, all the words are right, but 15 levels of approval for a $1,500 laptop? |
所以对员工而言,说的话都挺好听的, 但一台1500美元的电脑 需要15级的审批? |
approval:n.批准;认可;赞成;
|
You've actually spent more money than the laptop, on the approval. |
你其实在审批这台 电脑上花了更多的钱。 |
And the employee feels maybe they're really not trusted. |
员工会感到也许他们不是真的被信任。 |
So what can an organization do to have a high level of trust? |
那么,一个组织如何才能 高度信任他们的员工呢? |
The first organization that comes to mind is Four Seasons. |
首先想到的是四季酒店。 |
They have magnificent properties all around the world. |
它们在世界各地都有宏伟的建筑。 |
magnificent:adj.高尚的;壮丽的;华丽的;宏伟的;
|
And their employees are told, "Do whatever you think is right when servicing the customer." |
他们的雇员被告知, “服务客户时,尽管去 做你认为正确的事情。” |
To hand that trust to your employees to do whatever they think is right makes the employees feel great. |
授权你的员工去做任何 他们觉得正确的事情 让他们感觉很棒。 |
And this is why they're known for delivering some of the best service in the world. |
这就是为什么他们能够提供 世界顶级服务的原因。 |
Idea number two: fairness. |
主意二:公平。 |
The thing that erodes trust in an organization faster than anything else is when employees feel that they're being treated unfairly . |
当员工感到自己受到了 不公平的对待时, 对组织的信任就会受到最迅速的侵蚀。 |
erodes:vt.腐蚀,侵蚀;vi.侵蚀;受腐蚀; unfairly:adv.不公平地;不正当地;
|
Employees want to be treated the same, regardless of their rank or their tenure or their age or their experience or their job category , compared to anyone else. |
员工想要一视同仁, 不管他们的级别,任期或年龄, 或经验或职业背景, 跟其他人比怎样。 |
regardless:adj.不管的; v.不顾后果地; tenure:n.任期;占有;vt.授予…终身职位; category:n.种类,分类;[数]范畴;
|
When I think about great organizations who get fairness right, the first organization that comes to mind is Salesforce. |
当我想到那些 有公平待遇的伟大组织时, 我首先想到的是Salesforce。 |
They found that men and women working in the same job with the same level of proficiency were making different amounts of money. |
他们发现男性和女性担任同样的工作, 技能熟练程度一致, 收入却大相径庭。 |
proficiency:n.精通,熟练;
|
So immediately, they calculated the difference, and they invested three million dollars to try and balance things out. |
于是很快,他们就计算了这种差异, 并且投资了300万美元实现同工同酬。 |
invested:v.投资;投入;(invest的过去分词和过去式)
|
Idea number three is listening. |
主意三:倾听。 |
So, to be a listener who connects with all types of people, we have to unlearn a few things. |
要做各色人群的倾听者, 我们需要忘记一些事情。 |
unlearn:vt.忘却;抛掉以前的想法;去掉…的弊习;
|
We've all been taught about active listening and eye contact -- an intense stare and a compassionate look. |
我们都被教过要 积极倾听,有眼神接触—— 要认真的凝视, 展现出理解的表情。 |
contact:n.接触,联系;v.使接触,联系; intense:adj.强烈的;紧张的;非常的;热情的; stare:v.凝视;盯着看;注视;n.凝视; compassionate:adj.慈悲的;富于同情心的;vt.同情;怜悯;
|
That's not listening. |
这不是倾听。 |
Repeating what the person says -- that's not listening. |
重复人们说过的话——这不是倾听。 |
Being humble and always hunting and searching for the best idea possible -- that's what listening is. |
保持谦卑 并一直寻找最好的点子—— 这才是倾听该有的样子。 |
humble:adj.谦逊的; vt.使谦恭; for the best:出于好意;
|
And employees can feel whether you're doing that or not. |
员工可以感到你有没有这样做。 |
They want to know, when they talk to you and share an idea, did you consider it when you made a decision? |
他们想要知道,当他们 跟你交谈和分享想法时, 你在做决定时会不会考虑? |
The one thing that everybody appreciates and wants when they're speaking is to know that what they say matters so much you might actually change your mind. |
每个人在说话时最感激和最想要的是 知道他们想表达的信息足够重要, 可以让你改变主意。 |
appreciates:v.欣赏;赏识;感激;欢迎;理解;领会;(appreciate的第三人称单数)
|
Otherwise, what's the point of the conversation? |
否则,谈话的意义何在? |
We all know the things we need to change, the things that we need to do differently. |
我们都知道需要做出改变, 要以不同的方式处理事情。 |
The way you behave , the way you treat others, the way you respond , the way you support, defines the work experience for everyone around you. |
你的行为举止,你对待别人的方式, 你回应的方式,你支持的方式, 定义了你周围每个人的工作体验。 |
behave:v.表现;(机器等)运转;举止端正;(事物)起某种作用; respond:vi.回答;作出反应;承担责任;n.应答;唱和; defines:v.阐明;明确;界定;画出…的线条;描出…的外形(define的第三人称单数) work experience:n.工作经历;(学生)实习;
|
Changing to be a better person -- the world is littered with those failures. |
做一个更好的人—— 世界充满了这些失败。 |
But changing because there's something you believe in, some purpose that you have, where you're willing to risk almost everything because it's so important to you -- that's the reason to change. |
但改变是因为你相信, 你肩负目标, 为此你愿意冒任何风险, 因为这对你相当重要—— 这就是改变的理由。 |
If it's not, you should probably find a different place to work. |
如果不是,你可能应该换个地方工作。 |