返回首页

MichaelBotticelli_2016X-_瘾是一种疾病,我们应该像治疗疾病一样治疗它_

Twenty-eight years ago,I was a broken man. 28年前,我的人生陷入低谷,
And you probably wouldn't be able to tell that if you met me. 如果你遇见我,你可能看不出来。
I had a good job at a well-respected academic institution . 我在一个德高望重的 学校有一份很好的工作。
academic:adj.学术的;理论的;学院的;n.大学生,大学教师;学者; institution:n.制度;建立;(社会或宗教等)公共机构;习俗;
I dressed well, of course. 当然,我穿着得体。
But my insides were rotting away. 但是我的内心却在被侵蚀。
You see, I grew up in a family riddled with addiction , and as a kid, I also struggled with coming to terms with my own sexuality . 我在一个充满上瘾的家庭长大, 当我还是一个孩子的时候, 我对自己的性取向也很疑惑。
riddled:adj.布满的;遍布的;到处是…的;v.使布满窟窿;(riddle的过去分词和过去式) addiction:n.瘾;嗜好;入迷; struggled:v.奋斗;努力;争取;艰难地行进;抗争;(struggle的过去式和过去分词) sexuality:n.[胚]性别;性欲;性征;性方面的事情(比如性行为或性能力);
And even though I couldn't name it then, growing up as a gay kid just compounded my issues of isolation and insecurities . 虽然那个时候我无法直说, 作为一个同性恋小孩长大, 让我有了自我封闭和缺乏自信的问题。
compounded:adj.[生物]复合的,化合的;v.混合;组成(compound的过去式和过去分词); issues:n.重要议题;争论的问题;v.宣布;公布;发出;(issue的第三人称单数和复数) insecurities:n.不安全;不牢靠;无把握;心神不定;
But drinking took all of that away. 但是喝酒把这一切都带走了。
Like many, I drank at an early age. 像很多人一样,我很小就开始喝酒。
I continued to drink my way through college. 我喝着酒上完了大学。
And when I finally did come out in the early 1980s, about the only places to meet other gay people, to socialize , to be yourself, were gay bars. 当我在80年代初终于出柜时, 唯一一个地方,我能够见到其他同性恋, 来社交, 来展现真我,就是同性恋酒吧。
finally:adv.终于;最终;(用于列举)最后;彻底地; socialize:v.使社会化;使社会主义化;交际;参与社交;
And what do you do in gay bars? 然而你在同性恋酒吧里做的事情是什么?
You drink. 喝酒。
a lot. 很多。
My story is not unique . 我的故事并不时独一无二。
unique:adj.独特的,稀罕的;[数]唯一的;n.独一无二的人或物;
Like millions of Americans, my disease progressed undiagnosed . 像上百万美国人, 我的疾病无法被诊断。
disease:n.病,[医]疾病;弊病;vt.传染;使…有病; undiagnosed:adj.[临床]未确诊的;尚未找出原因的;
It took me to people and places and things that I never would have chosen. 它让我选择我永远不会选择的 人、地方和事情。
It wasn't until an intersection with the law gave me an "opportunity" to get care, that I began my journey of recovery . 直到我由此触犯了法律 我有了一个“康复治疗”的“机会”, 然后我开始了改过自新的旅程。
intersection:n.交叉;十字路口;交集;交叉点; journey:n.旅行;行程;vi.旅行; recovery:n.恢复,复原;痊愈;重获;
My journey of recovery has been filled with love and with joy, but it hasn't been without pain. 我改过自新的旅程充满了爱和快乐, 但是也有痛苦。
Like many of you, I've lost too many friends and family to this disease. 像你们中的很多人,我因为这个疾病 失去了太多的朋友和家人。
I've heard too many heartbreaking stories of people who've lost loved ones to addiction. 我听说了太多令人伤心的故事, 关于人们因为上瘾失去了喜欢的人。
heartbreaking:adj.令人心碎的;使人悲痛的;
And I've also lost countless friends to HIV and AIDS. 我也因为艾滋病失去了无数朋友。
countless:adj.无数的;数不尽的; HIV:n.艾滋病病毒;
Our current opioid epidemic and the AIDS epidemic tragically have much in common. 现在不断增长的鸦片类药品的使用和艾滋病的传播 不幸的有很多相同点。
opioid:n.[生化]阿片样物质;类鸦片; epidemic:n.流行病;蔓延;adj.传染病;流行性的; tragically:adv.悲剧地;悲惨地;
Right now, we are in the midst of one of the greatest health crises of our time. 现在,我们处在历史上 最严重的医疗保健危机中。
midst:n.当中,中间;prep.在…中间(等于amidst); crises:n.危机,紧要关头;危险期(crisis的复数形式);
During 2014 alone, 28,000 people died of drug overdoses associated with prescription drugs and heroin . 单单在2014年,两万八千人 死于因为处方药和海洛因 的过度使用。
overdoses:vt.配药过量; n.药量过多(等于overdosage); vi.服药过量; associated:adj.有关联的; v.联想; (associate的过去分词和过去式) prescription:n.处方;药方;医生开的药;开处方; heroin:n.[药][毒物]海洛因,吗啡;
During the 1980s, scores of people were dying from HIV and AIDS. 在20世纪80年代,很多人死于艾滋病。
Public officials ignored it. 政府无视了这个问题。
ignored:v.忽视;对…不予理会;佯装未见;不予理睬;(ignore的过去分词和过去式)
Some wouldn't even utter the words. 有些甚至无法说出那个词。
utter:v.说;出声;讲;adj.完全的;十足的;彻底的;
They didn't want treatment . 他们不想接受治疗。
treatment:n.治疗;疗法;对待;处理;讨论;
And tragically, there are many parallels with our current epidemic. 不幸的是,这和我们 现在的(同性恋)意识的风潮有很多相同之处。
parallels:n.平行线; v.使…成平行;
Some called it the gay plague . 有些人称之为同性恋瘟疫。
plague:n.瘟疫;灾祸;麻烦;讨厌的人;vt.折磨;使苦恼;使得灾祸;
They called for quarantines . 他们呼吁隔离。
quarantines:vt.检疫;隔离;使隔离;n.检疫;隔离;检疫期;封锁;vi.实行隔离;
They wanted to separate the innocent victims from the rest of us. 他们想要将无辜 的”受害者“(非同性恋)和我们隔离。
innocent:adj.无辜的;无罪的;无知的;n.天真的人;笨蛋;
I was afraid we were losing this battle because people were blaming us for being sick. 我很担心我们会在这场战争中失败, 因为人们都在责怪生病的我们。
Public policy was being held hostage by stigma and fear, and also held hostage were compassion , care,research, recovery and treatment. 公众政策被恐惧和不安绑架, 被绑架的还有 同情、关心、医疗研究、恢复和治疗。
policy:n.政策,方针;保险单; hostage:n.人质;抵押品; stigma:n.[植]柱头;耻辱;污名;烙印;特征; compassion:n.同情;怜悯;
But we changed all that. 但是我们改变了这一切。
Because out of the pain of those deaths, we saw a social and political movement. 因为那些逝者造成的伤痛, 我们开启了一个社会和政治的运动,
AIDS galvanized us into action; to stand up, to speak up and to act out. 艾滋病促使我们行动, 让我们站出来,大声表达自己的意愿,并付诸行动
galvanized:adj.镀锌的,电镀的;v.电镀;刺激(galvanize的过去式和过去分词形式);
And it also galvanized the LGBT movement. 这也促使了LGBT运动。
We knew we were in a battle for our lives because silence equaled death, but we changed,and we made things happen. 我们知道我们在为我们的生活而斗争, 因为沉默意味着死亡, 但是我们改变了,我们使事情成真。
equaled:adj.平等的;相等的;胜任的;vt.等于;比得上;n.对手;匹敌;同辈;相等的事物;
And right now, we have the potential to see the end of HIV/AIDS in our lifetime. 现在,我们有希望 在我们人生中看到艾滋病的结束。
potential:n.潜能;可能性;[电]电势;adj.潜在的;可能的;势的;
These changes came in no small part by the courageous , yet simple decision for people to come out to their neighbors,to their friends, to their families and to their coworkers . 这些改变由很大程度上 靠通过勇敢却简单的决定, 让人们走出家门, 到他们的社区,他们的朋友,他们的家人, 和他们的同事那里。
courageous:adj.有胆量的,勇敢的; coworkers:n.同事;合作人;(coworker的复数形式)
Years ago, I was a volunteer for the Names Project. 几年前,我是“名字计划”的一个志愿者,
volunteer:n.志愿者;志愿兵;adj.志愿的;v.自愿;
This was an effort started by Cleve Jones in San Francisco to show that people who died of AIDS had names and faces and families and people who loved them. 这个组织由克里夫·琼斯在旧金山成立, 为了展示死于艾滋病的人的名字, 脸庞和家庭 以及爱他们的人。
I still recall unfolding the AIDS memorial quilt on the National Mall on a brilliant day in October, 1988. 我依旧记得展开艾滋病纪念被子 在1988年10月的一天的国家广场。
recall:v.记起;回想起;使想到;勾起;召回;n.记忆力;记性;回归请求;回收令; unfolding:v.(使)展开;打开;展示;透露;(unfold的现在分词) memorial:adj.纪念的;悼念的;n.纪念碑(或像等);纪念品;
So fast forward to 2015. 快进到2015,
The Supreme Court 's decision to strike down the ban on same-sex marriage. 最高法院决定取消同性婚姻的禁令。
Supreme Court:最高法院; strike down:杀死;击倒; ban:v.下令禁止;查禁;n.禁令; same-sex:adj.同性的;
My husband, Dave, and I walk over to the steps of the Supreme Court to celebrate that decision with so many other people, and I couldn't help but think how far we came around LGBT rights and yet how far we needed to go around issues of addiction. 我的丈夫,戴夫和我 走到最高法院的楼梯, 和其他人一起庆祝这个决定, 我不禁思考我们在 LGBT维权上走了这么远, 但是我们在成瘾问题上还需要走多远。
When I was nominated by President Obama to be his Director of Drug Policy, 当我被奥巴马总统提名为 他的医药政策负责人时,
nominated:v.提名;推荐;任命;指派;挑选;(nominate的过去式和过去分词)
I was very open about my recovery and about the fact that I was a gay man. 我对我改过自新和同性恋非常开放。
And at no point during my confirmation process — at least that I know of — did the fact that I was a gay man come to bear on my candidacy or my fitness to do this job. 在我接受审核的过程中, 我并没有注意到 作为同性恋影响到我的候选 和我能否胜任这份工作。
process:v.处理;加工;列队行进;n.过程,进行;方法,adj.经过特殊加工(或处理)的; candidacy:n.候选资格;候选状态; fitness:n.健康;适当;适合性;
But my addiction did. 不过真正的阻碍是我的瘾
At one point, a congressional staffer said that there was no way that I was going to be confirmed by the United States Senate because of my past, despite the fact that I had been in recovery for over 20 years, and despite the fact that this job takes a little bit of knowledge around addiction. 一次,一个国会工作人员说, 我的任职不可能会被参议院通过, 因为我的一些过去历史, 尽管我在20年来改过自新, 尽管这份工作 和有关的瘾的知识没有什么关系。
congressional:adj.国会的;会议的;议会的; staffer:n.职员;编辑;采访记者; United:adj.联合的; v.联合,团结; (unite的过去分词和过去式) Senate:n.参议院,上院;(古罗马的)元老院; despite:prep.尽管,不管;n.轻视;憎恨;侮辱;
(Laughter) (笑声)
So, you know, this is the stigma that people with substance use disorders face every single day, and you know, I have to tell you it's still why I'm more comfortable coming out as a gay man than I am as a person with a history of addiction. 所以这个就是有对物品上瘾的人 每天面对的, 而且我不得不说, 这也是为什么我更愿意承认我是同性恋, 相比于承认我有药瘾的历史。
substance:n.物质;实质;主旨;物品; disorders:n.无秩序,混乱; v.[电子]扰乱(disorder的单三形式);
Nearly every family in America is affected by addiction. 几乎美国的每一个家庭都被瘾影响。
Yet, unfortunately , too often, it's not talked about openly and honestly. 但是不幸的是, 这并不经常被公开和诚实地讨论。
unfortunately:adv.不幸地;
It's whispered about. 这只被私底下谈论。
It's met with derision and scorn . 这受到鄙视和嘲讽。
derision:n.嘲笑;嘲笑的对象; scorn:n.轻蔑;嘲笑;藐视的对象;vt.轻蔑;藐视;不屑做;vi.表示轻蔑;表示鄙视;
We hear these stories, time and time again , on TV, online, we hear it from public officials, and we hear it from family and friends. 我们听说这些故事,一次又一次, 在电视上,在网络上, 从政府和家人朋友中听说。
time and time again:一次次;一次又一次;多次;不断地;
And those of us with an addiction,we hear those voices, and somehow we believe that we are less deserving of care and treatment. 但是有上瘾的人听到了这些事情, 不知怎么的认为我们不值得关心和治疗。
somehow:adv.以某种方法;莫名其妙地; deserving:adj.值得的;应得的;有功的;v.值得;应得到(deserve的现在分词);
Today in the United States,only one in nine people get care and treatment for their disorder. 现在在美国,只有九分之一的人 接受针对他们上瘾的治疗和照顾。
One in nine. 九分之一。
Think about that. 好好想想。
Generally , people with other diseases get care and treatment. 大体上来说,有其他 疾病的人们接受治疗和照顾。
Generally:adv.通常;普遍地,一般地; diseases:n.[医]病(disease的复数);[医]疾病;[植保]病害;疾病种类;
If you have cancer , you get treatment, if you have diabetes , you get treatment. 如果你有癌症,你接受治疗。 如果你有糖尿病,你接受治疗。
cancer:n.癌症;恶性肿瘤; diabetes:n.糖尿病;多尿症;
If you have a heart attack, you get emergency services ,and you get referred to care. 如有你心脏病突发, 你接受急救,然后接受康复治疗。
have a heart:v.发慈悲; emergency services:n.应急服务机构(治安、消防、救护和海岸警卫); referred:v.提到;引用;认为;指示;涉及;(refer的过去式和过去分词)
But somehow people with addiction have to wait for treatment or often can't get when they need it. 但是不知道为什么 上瘾的人需要等待治疗,或者在需要的时候接受不到。
And left untreated , addiction has significant , dire consequences . 没有治疗,瘾会造成很严重的后果。
untreated:adj.未经处理的;未经治疗的; significant:adj.重大的;有效的;有意义的;值得注意的;意味深长的;n.象征;有意义的事物; dire:adj.可怕的;悲惨的;极端的; consequences:n.后果,结果;影响(consequence的复数);
And for many people that means death or incarceration . 对于很多人,这意味着死亡或者入狱。
incarceration:n.监禁;下狱;禁闭;
We've been down that road before. 我们都曾经历过这些。
For too long our country felt like we could arrest our way out of this problem. 这么久以来,我们的国家认为 我们能够通过逮捕来解决问题。
But we know that we can't. 但我们知道这不行。
Decades of scientific research has shown that this is a medical issue — that this is a chronic medical condition that people inherit and that people develop. 几代科学家的研究表明 这个健康问题 是一个长期的疾病, 人们生来就有或者后天养成的。
scientific:adj.科学的,系统的; chronic:adj.慢性的;长期的;习惯性的; inherit:v.继承;接替(责任等);继任;
So the Obama administration has taken a different tack on drug policy. 所以奥巴马政府改变了毒品政策。
We've developed and implemented a comprehensive plan to expand prevention services, treatment services,early intervention and recovery support. 我们创造并实施了一个全面的计划, 扩大预防措施、治疗、 早期干预和恢复治疗。
implemented:v.使生效;贯彻;执行;实施;(implement的过去式和过去分词) comprehensive:adj.综合的;广泛的;有理解力的;n.综合学校;专业综合测验; expand:v.扩张;使膨胀;详述;发展;张开,展开; prevention:n.预防;阻止;妨碍; intervention:n.介入;调停;妨碍;
We've pushed criminal justice reform . 我们加快了法律上的改革。
justice:n.公平;公正;司法制度;审判; reform:v.改革;改进;改良;(使)悔改;n.改革;改良;改善;
We've knocked down barriers to give people second chances. 我们消除了人们得到第二次机会的障碍。
barriers:n.障碍;栅栏;篱笆墙(barrier的复数形式);
We see public health and public safety officials working hand in hand at the community level. 我们看见了公共健康和安全部门 在社区内团结协作。
hand in hand:adj.并进的;手拉手的;亲密的; community:n.社区;[生态]群落;共同体;团体;
We see police chiefs across the country guiding people to treatment instead of jail and incarceration. 我们看见全国的警察引导人们接受治疗, 而不是直接把他们逮捕和收监。
jail:n.监狱;监牢;拘留所;v.监禁;下狱;
We see law enforcement and other first responders reversing overdoses with naloxone to give people a second chance for care. 我们看见执法者和工作人员 把毒品改成纳洛酮,给人们第二次机会。
enforcement:n.执行,实施;强制; responders:n.响应器;回答者;(responder的复数) reversing:v.颠倒;彻底转变;使完全相反;(reverse的现在分词) naloxone:n.烯丙羟吗啡酮,[药]纳洛酮(吗啡拮抗药);
The Affordable Care Act is the biggest expansion of substance use disorder treatment in a generation, and it also calls for the integration of treatment services within primary care. 平价医疗法案是这个世纪 对上瘾治疗的最大进步, 这份法案倡导把康复治疗 整合到基础医疗保障中。
Affordable:adj.负担得起的; expansion:n.扩张;膨胀;扩展;扩大; integration:n.集成;综合;
But fundamentally ,all of this work is not enough. 但是总而来说,这些并不够,
fundamentally:adv.从根本上;基础地;重要地
Unless we change the way that we view people with addiction in the United States. 除非我们改变美国 人们对有上瘾的人的观念。
Years ago when I finally understood that I had a problem and I knew that I needed help, 几年前,当我终于意识到我有问题, 我知道我需要帮助的时候,
I was too afraid to ask for it. 我因为害怕而不敢请求帮助。
I felt that people would think I was stupid, that I was weak-willed , that I was morally flawed . 我担心人们会觉得我很傻、意志脆弱, 觉得我道德有缺陷。
weak-willed:adj.意志薄弱的; morally:adv.道德上;有道德地;确实地; flawed:adj.有缺陷的;有瑕疵的;有裂纹的;
But I talk about my recovery because I want to make change. 但是因为我希望改变, 所以我会谈论我的康复治疗。
I want us to see that we need to be open and candid about who we are and what we can do. 我想让人们知道, 我们需要真诚开放的对待我们是谁, 和我们能做什么。
I am public about my own recovery not to be self-congratulatory . 我公开我的康复治疗, 不是为了炫耀,
self-congratulatory:adj.自满的;自我庆幸的;
I am open about my own recovery to change public opinion , to change public policy and to change the course of this epidemic and empower the millions of Americans who struggle with this journey to be open and candid about who they are. 我公开我的康复治疗 是为了改变公众的意见, 为了改变政策, 和改变这个疾病的现象, 并使百万受其折磨的美国人有能力 开放真诚的对待他们是谁。
public opinion:n.舆论;民意; empower:vt.授权,允许;使能够;
People are more than their disease. 疾病代表不了一个人。
And all of us have the opportunity to change public opinion and to change public policy. 每一个人都有机会改变公众的观念和政策。
All of us know someone who has an addiction, and all of us can do our part to change how we view people with addiction in the United States. 每一个人都认识某些上瘾的人, 而且每一个人都可以为改变美国 人们对上瘾的人的观念做出一份贡献。
So when you see someone with an addiction, don't think of a drunk or a junkie or an addict or an abuser — see a person; offer them help; give them kindness and compassion. 如果你看到有上瘾的人, 不要只看到一个酒鬼、 瘾君子或者滥用者, 要看到一个人类, 向他们提供帮助, 给他们友善和同情。
junkie:n.有毒瘾者;废旧品商人; abuser:n.滥用者;施虐者;
And together, we can be part of a growing movement in the United States to change how we view people with addiction. 团结一致,我们可以 成为一个美国正冉冉升起的一个运动的一部分, 来改变我们看待有瘾的人的观念。
Together we can change public policy. 团结一致,我们能够改变政策。
We can ensure that people get care when they need it, just like any other disease. 我们可以保证让人们得到他们需要的治疗, 就像其他疾病一样。
ensure:vt.保证,确保;使安全;
We can be part of a growing, unstoppable movement to have millions of Americans enter recovery, and put an end to this epidemic. 我们可以成为一个 不断进步的美国运动的一部分, 让百万美国人的得到康复治疗, 并结束这个不好的风潮。
unstoppable:adj.无法阻碍的;无法停止的(副词unstoppably); put an end to:结束;终止;
Thank you very much. 谢谢。
(Applause) (鼓掌)