返回首页

MelvinRussell_2015X-_我锺爱成为一位警官,但我们需要革新_

I have been a police officer for a very, very long time. 我当警官,当了很长很长的时间。
police officer:n.警官;警察;警务人员;
And you see these notes in my hand because I'm also a black preacher . 而你会看到我手上有笔记,因为我也是一位黑人传道者。
preacher:n.牧师;传教士;鼓吹者;
(Laughter) (笑声)
And if you know anything about black preachers , we'll close, and then we'll keep going for another 20 minutes. 如果你瞭解黑人传道者, 我们说毕后,还会再继续另外二十分钟。
preachers:n.牧师;传教士;鼓吹者;
(Laughter) (笑声)
So I need this to keep pushing this thing forward. 所以我需要这笔记提促我说下去。
I've been a police officer for a very long time, and I mean I predated technology . 我当警官,当了很长很长的时间。 我指更早于有科技以前。
predated:vt.在日期上早于(先于); technology:n.技术;工艺;术语;
I'm talking about before pagers . 我在说有传呼机以前。
pagers:n.呼叫器,寻呼机(pager的复数形式);
(Laughter) (笑声)
Laugh if you want to, but I'm telling the truth. 如果你想,尽情笑吧,我只是要说明真相
I predate War on Our Fellow Man -- I mean, War on Drugs. 比起我们伙伴的战事,我更早已是一位警官,我指对抗毒品祸害的战事
I predate all of that. 对比起所有的这些,我更早
I predate so much and I've been through ebbs and flows and I've been through good and bad times, and still I absolutely love being a police officer. 对比起,我真的远远地更早 我经历过起落 我经历过好坏时光 至今我仍义无反顾地锺爱成为一位警官
ebbs:n.衰落; v.退落; (ebb的第三人称单数) absolutely:adv.绝对地;完全地;
I love being a police officer because it's always been a calling for me and never a job. 我锺爱成为一位警官从来都是一份感召 不曾是一份工作
And even with that, my personal truth is that law enforcement is in a crisis . 纵使如此 我个人仍然相信法律的执行现处于危机
personal:adj.个人的;身体的;亲自的;n.人事消息栏;人称代名词; enforcement:n.执行,实施;强制; crisis:n.危机;危险期;决定性时刻;adj.危机的;用于处理危机的;
It's an invisible crisis, and it has been for many, many years. 那是看不见的危机 已存在很多很多年
invisible:adj.看不见的;n.看不见的人或物;
Even though we in law enforcement say, "You know what? We can't arrest our way out of this." 我们在执法机构尚且这样说, “你知道吗?我们不能作出如此的逮捕。”
We say in law enforcement things like, "Yeah, it's illegal to profile ." 我们在执法机构这样说, “是的,这样落案是非法的。”
illegal:adj.不合法的;非法的;n.非法移民;非法劳工; profile:n.轮廓;简介;形象;外形;v.扼要介绍;概述;写简介;
You know what? 你知道吗?
In law enforcement, we even agree that we have to adopt this thinking and become more oriented to community policing. 在执法机构,我们甚至同意这样的想法 更倾向于作出社区的监察。
adopt:v.采取;接受;收养;正式通过; oriented:adj.导向的; v.调整; community:n.社区;[生态]群落;共同体;团体;
And yet all the while, still, we continue in the same vein , the same vein that contradicts everything that we just admitted. 如是者,仍然 我们继续因循 纵使因循违悖于我们承认的一切
vein:n.血管;叶脉;[地质]岩脉;纹理;翅脉;性情;vt.使成脉络;象脉络般分布于; contradicts:v.反驳;驳斥;批驳;相矛盾;相反;(contradict的第三人称单数)
And so that's the reason for me, several years ago. 这导致我数年前作出了一个决定。
Because I was tired of the racism , I was tired of discrimination , 因为我已疲于种族主义、疲于歧视
racism:n.种族主义,种族歧视;人种偏见; discrimination:n.歧视;区别,辨别;识别力;
I was tired of the "-isms" and the schisms . 我已疲于各类“主义”及分裂。
schisms:n.不和合;分立(schism的复数);
I was just so tired. 我是多么疲累。
I was tired of the vicious cycle, and I was tired of it even in the beloved agency in the department that I still love today. 我厌倦了恶毒的循环不息, 我甚至厌倦了我最爱的机构 厌倦了我至今仍然锺爱的部门。
vicious:adj.恶毒的;恶意的;堕落的;有错误的;品性不端的;剧烈的; beloved:adj.心爱的;挚爱的;n.心爱的人;亲爱的教友; agency:n.代理,中介;代理处,经销处;
And so my wife and I, we sat down and we decided and we targeted a date that we would retire. 所以妻子和我,我俩坐下来 我们决定了一个目标日期退休。
We would retire and I would go off into the sunset , maybe do ministry full time , love my wife a long time. 我们会退休而我会看日落 或许全职传道,爱我妻子恒久。
sunset:adj.霞红色的; n.日落(时分); v.(使)定期届满废止; ministry:n.(政府的)部门; full time:adj.专职的;全日制的;全部时间的;
Y'all know what I'm talking about. 你们都懂我在说些什么。
(Laughter) (笑声)
But we decided that I would retire. 终究我们决定了我会退休。
But then there was a higher power than I. 但存在了一种比我更宏大的力量。
There was a love for the city that I loved, that I grew up in, that I was educated in -- a city that pulled my heart back into the system. 那是对这个城市的爱 一个我爱于斯、长于斯、育于斯的 这个城市,重新让我投心于系统裏。
So we didn't retire. 所以我们没有退休
We didn't retire and so what happened was, over the next -- I would say, 18 months, 19 months, 我们没有退休 其后发生的是 其后十八个月、十九个月发生的是
I had this passion to implement some radical policing. 我有份热诚去实践一些激进的监察,
passion:n.激情;热情;酷爱;盛怒; implement:v.实施;执行;贯彻;使生效;n.工具; radical:n.自由基;激进分子;游离基;adj.根本的;彻底的;完全的;全新的;
And so now, over the next 19 months, 这样下来经过了十九个月,
I shifted , and I transcended from being a drug sergeant -- ready to retire as a drug sergeant -- and went from level to level to level, until I find myself as a district commander , commander of the worst district in Baltimore city. 我转型,从一位专责毒品的沙展, 作好准备成为一位退休的专责毒品的沙展, 寻觅一层又逾一层的阶级, 直到我成为了一位区域指挥官, 在巴尔的摩内最恶劣的区域当指挥官。
shifted:转移;移动(shift的过去式和过去分词); transcended:vt.胜过,超越; sergeant:n.军士;警察小队长;海军陆战队中士;高等律师; commander:n.指挥官;司令官;
We call it the Eastern District, the most violent district, the most impoverished district -- 46 percent unemployment in that district. 我们称之为东区, 最暴力的区域, 最贫穷的区域 百分之四十六的失業率的区域。
Eastern:adj.东方的;向东的;东部的;东方国家的;n.东方人;东正教信徒; violent:adj.暴力的;猛烈的; impoverished:adj.穷困的;用尽了的,无创造性的;v.使贫困(impoverish的过去分词); unemployment:n.失业;失业率;失业人数;
National rating at that time, national rating, the AIDS and the tuberculosis [rating], was always on the top 10 list for zip codes for cities across the nation, or just zip codes across the nation. 当时按就全国的排行榜上, 在全国的排行榜上,爱滋病和肺痨的排行 总是在头十位之内 在全国城市的邮政编码 或只是全国的邮政编码
tuberculosis:n.肺结核;结核病;
The top 10 -- I didn't say state, I didn't say city -- that little neighborhood . 在头十位之内,我已经没有提及州,没有提及城市 东区这个小邻社。
neighborhood:n.附近;地区;街坊;adj.附近的;
And I said, you know what? We gotta do something different. 我说,你知道吗?我们得做出大不同。
We gotta do something different. We gotta think radical. 我们得做出大不同。我们得激进地想。
We gotta think outside the box . 我们得出奇制胜。
think outside the box:跳出固有思维模式;跳脱框架思考;解放思想;
And so in order to bring change that I desperately wanted and I desperately felt in my heart, 所以为了能够带出我矢志要得到的改变, 我由衷的感觉到
desperately:adv.拼命地;绝望地;不顾一切地;极度地;
I had to start listening to that inner spirit. 我需要聆听着内心的呼唤
inner:n.内部;射中接近靶心部分的一发;adj.里面的;向内的;内部的;接近中心的;
I had to start listening to that man on the inside that went against everything that I had been trained to do. 我需要开始聆听着内心自我的呼唤 抗衡被驯服于命的那一个自我。
But we still did it. 我们成功了。
We still did it because we listened to that inner spirit, because I realized this: if I was to see real police reform in the communities that I had authority over for public safety, we had to change our stinkin' thinkin'. 我们成功了因为我们聆听内心自我的呼唤, 因为我意识到, 如果要真正看到警察的改良, 在我有权力监察公共安全的区域, 我们需要改变迂腐的想法。
reform:v.改革;改进;改良;(使)悔改;n.改革;改良;改善; communities:n.社区;社会;团体;共有(community的复数) authority:n.权威;权力;当局;
We had to change it. 我们必定需要改变。
And so what we did is we started to think holistically and not paramilitarily. 所以我们开始综合地思考 而非军事式
holistically:整体论地;
So we thought differently. 我们的思考来的大不同。
And we started to realize that it could never be and never should have been us versus them. 我们开始体会 从来不该也从此不该 区划出我们和他们。
versus:prep.对;与...相对;对抗;
And so I decided to come to that intersection where I could meet all classes, all races, all creeds , all colors; where I would meet the businesses and the faith-based , and the eds, the meds , and I would meet all the people that made up the communities that I had authority over. 所以我决定要来到了那一个交滙处, 在那处我可以遇到所有的阶层、所有的种族、所有的教义、和所有的肤色的同仁, 在那处我可以遇到商人、信徒 我可以接触到所有的人 都是组成了这个社区的人,而我有保护着他们的权力。 所以我接触他们和开始聆听。
intersection:n.交叉;十字路口;交集;交叉点; creeds:n.信条,教义(creed的复数形式); faith-based:基于信仰; meds:n.药物:
So I met them and I began to listen. 你看,警察人员常常会有这个问题。
See, police have a problem. 高高在上的我们,会想为社区谋福祉
Off the top, we want to bring things into the community and come up with these extravagant strategies and deployments , but we never talk to the community about them. 堆砌出铺张的策略和部署。 但我们从来没有和社区的居民好好的倾谈。 我们会把他们推到社区,然后说:「就这样吧。」
come up with:提出;想出;赶上; extravagant:adj.奢侈的;浪费的;过度的;放纵的; strategies:n.策略;行动计划;部署;战略;(strategy的复数) deployments:部署;
And we shove them into the community and say, "Take that." 明明我们才说过要改变迂腐的想法。
shove:v.猛推;乱挤;推撞;乱放;n.猛推;
But we said we'd get rid of that stinkin' thinkin', so we talked to our communities. 所以我们和社区的居民倾谈。 我们说:「这是你们的社区圆桌。
We said, "This is your community table. 我们拉来了椅子。我们想聆听你们的意见。
We'll pull up a chair. We want to hear from you. 有什么可以造就这个社区?」
What's going to work in your community?" 这样下来一些好的事物开始呈现。
And then some great things started to happen. 你看,这包括了:
See, here's the thing: 我得想出一个法子,把自己管辖的一百三十位警察
I had to figure out a way to shift 130 cops that were under my tutelage from being occupiers of communities to being partners. 从社区的占据者 化身成为了伙伴 我得想出一个法子造就这项任务。
cops:n.警察;v.遭受;忍受;注意到;(cop的第三人称单数和复数) tutelage:n.监护;指导; occupiers:n.居住人;占有者;占用者;
I had to figure out how to do that. 因为这是疯狂的:
Because here's the crazy thing: in law enforcement, we have evolved into something incredible . 在执法单位,我们演化得不可思议。 听着,我们演化成为了伟大的守护者
evolved:v.(使)逐渐形成;进化;进化形成;(evolve的过去分词和过去式) incredible:adj.难以置信的,惊人的;
Listen, we have become great protectors . 听着,我们演化成为了伟大的守护者
protectors:n.保护者;[电]保护装置(protector的复数);
We know how to protect you. 我们懂得如何守护你们
But we have exercised that arm so much, so very much. 而我们已过于习惯了守护你们的那一环
If I was a natural police department and I represented a police department, you would see this incredible, beautiful, 23-inch arm. 如果我本人就是警察部门 我代表了警察部门, 你们会看到了这不能置信的、美丽的,廿三吋的臂弯
police department:n.(美国城市中的)警察局; represented:v.代表; (represent的过去式和过去分词)
(Laughter) (笑声)
It's pretty, ain't it? It's cut up. 这很漂亮,对不?很坚实的。
No fat on it. Mmm it look good. It just look good! 没半点脂肪。很好看。煞是好看!
(Laughter) (笑声)
That's a great arm -- protection! 那是强壮的臂弯,一种保护!
That's who we are, but we've exercised it so much sometimes that it has led to abuse . 那就是我们了,正正因为太过于保护 会过了火。
abuse:n.滥用;虐待;辱骂;弊端;恶习,陋习;v.滥用;虐待;辱骂;
It's led to coldness and callousness and dehumanized us. 变成了冷漠无情,没有人情味
coldness:n.寒冷;冷淡; callousness:n.麻木不仁; dehumanized:v.使丧失人性;使无人性;(dehumanize的过去分词和过去式)
And we've forgotten the mantra across this nation is to protect and serve. 我们甚至忘记了 我们国家的座右铭 乃保卫和服务
mantra:n.咒语(尤指四吠陀经典内作为咒文或祷告唱念的);颂歌;
Y'all don't know that? Protect and serve. 你们难道不知道吗?保卫和服务
(Laughter) (笑声)
So you look at the other arm, and then you look at it and ... there it is. 所以当你看到另外一边的臂弯, 再看清楚...... 就是这边。
(Laughter) (笑声)
You know, it's kinda weak. 你看,有些柔弱
It looks sickly . 看起来酸软
sickly:adj.有病的,苍白的; v.病态地; vt.使苍白,使现病容;
It's withering and it's dying because we've invested so much in our protective arm. 有些萎凋,甚至垂死 就是因为我们太过着重于保护
withering:adj.尖刻的; v.(使)枯萎,凋谢; invested:v.投资;投入;(invest的过去分词和过去式) protective:adj.防护的;关切保护的;保护贸易的;
But we forgot to treat our communities like they're our customers; like they're our sons and daughters, our brothers and sisters, our mothers and fathers. 忘记了好好地看待我们的社区 待他们如我们的客人 待他们如我们的子女和兄弟姐妹 如我们的父母亲
treat:v.治疗;处理;招待;款待;n.款待;乐事;乐趣;
And so somehow , along the way, we've gotten out of balance. 所以在期间,偶之 我们失去了平衡。
somehow:adv.以某种方法;莫名其妙地;
And because we are a proud profession , it is very hard for us to look in the mirror and see our mistakes. 我们是很自负的专業, 所以要我们看着镜子找到自己的错处,很困难。
profession:n.行业,职业;业内人士;同行;
It's even harder to make a change. 更不用说要带出改变了。
And so, as I try to hurry and get through this, 其实我得加快表达这个重点,
I need to say this: it's not just law enforcement, though. 我必须要说明, 执法并不只限于执法,
Because every one of us makes up a community. 每一个人都是社区内的一份子
Everybody makes up a community. 每一个人都造就了这个社区
And as communities -- can I say this? -- we have put too much responsibility on law enforcement. 既然如此,我想说的是 我们实在过于倚赖把责任尽归于执法
Too much. 实在过于倚赖
(Applause) (掌声)
And then we have the audacity and the nerve to get upset with law enforcement when we take action. 然后我们又会对执法部门老大的不满 每当法律被执行的时候
audacity:n.大胆;厚颜无耻; nerve:n.神经;勇气;神经质;神经紧张;v.鼓足勇气;振作精神; upset:adj.沮丧; v.打乱; n.苦恼; (意外的)混乱;
There is no way in the world that we, as a community, should be calling the police for kids playing ball in the street. 事实上根本就没有理由 作为社区的一份子,我们竟然报警 就为了有小孩在街上打篮球。
No way in the world that we should be calling the police because my neighbor's music is up too loud, because his dog came over to my yard and did a number two; there's no way we should be calling the police. 事实上根本就没有理由,我们竟然报警 就为了我的邻居家里的音乐太吵耳, 就为了他家的狗儿来到了我家的庭院里便溺; 事实上根本就没有理由,我们竟然为这些事宜报警。
But we have surrendered so much of our responsibility. 其实我们都只是摒弃了自己的责任。
surrendered:v.投降;(被迫)放弃,交出(surrender的过去分词和过去式)
Listen, when I was a little boy coming up in Baltimore -- and listen, we played rough in the street -- 听好了,当我还是小孩在巴尔的摩成长的时候, 听好了,我们也是在街上瞎玩的,
I ain't never see the police come and break us up. 我就从没有看到过有警察过来赶我们
You know who came? It was the elders. 你们知道是谁过来的?都是那些长者们。
It was the parental figures in the community. 都是社区里的家长模楷。
parental:adj.父母亲的,父母的;亲代的,亲本的;
It was those guardians , it was that village mentality . 他们都是守护者,是社区里的一种精神。
guardians:n.保护人,[法]监护人(guardian的复数形式); mentality:n.心态;[心理]智力;精神力;头脑作用;
They came and said, "Stop that!" and "Do this." and "Stop that." 他们会来到了我们当中,勒劝我们,“这不行!” 及 “得这样”和“这不行的。”
We had mentors throughout all of the community. 在社区里我们都有导师,到处都有。
mentors:n.导师,教练(mentor复数); throughout:adv.自始至终,到处;全部;prep.贯穿,遍及;
So it takes all of us, all of us. 所以其实责任在我们每一位,我们每一位。
And when I say community, 当我提说社区的时候
I'm talking about everything that makes up a community, even -- listen, because I'm a preacher, I'm very hard on the churches, because I believe the churches too often have become MIA, missing in action. 我在说所有组成了社区的每一部份,甚至, 听好了,由于我是一位传道者,我对教会非常有要求, 尤其我相信教会常常会流于 MIA
I believe they have shifted over the last 10, 20 years from being community churches, where you walk outside your door, round the corner and you're in church. 在过去十多二十年,我相信教会转型了 从社区型的教会, 那种你从家里出去,拐个弯就到了的教会。
They shifted from that and became commuter churches. 转成为方便于交通往来者的教会。
commuter:n.通勤者,经常乘公共车辆往返者;[交]月季票乘客;
So you now have churches who have become disconnected by default from the very community where they're planted. 所以你现在拥有的教会,是倒模一样的隔离, 明明是从社区里孕育出来的,
disconnected:adj.分离的; v.切断(煤气、水或电的供应); (disconnect的过去式和过去分词) default:n.违约;拖欠;缺席;缺陷;v.违约;拖欠;缺乏;不履行;
And they don't take care of that community. 却变得对这个社区没有了关爱。
I could go on and on , but I really need to wrap this up. 我可以无止境的说下去,但我得真的要完成这个任务了。
on and on:继续不停地; wrap:v.缠绕;隐藏;掩护;包起来;缠绕;穿外衣;n.外套;围巾;
Community and policing: we've all lost that precious gift, and I call it relational equity . 社区和警力: 我们都失去了, 那份我称之为关爱权益的珍贵天赋。
precious:adj.宝贵的;珍贵的;矫揉造作的; relational:adj.相关的;亲属的; equity:n.公平,公正;衡平法;普通股;抵押资产的净值;
We've lost it with one another. 我们一众都失去了这份关爱。
It's not somebody else's fault -- it's all of our fault. 那不是别人的过错, 那通通是我们自己的过错。
We all take responsibility in this. 我们都得肩起这份责任。
But I say this: it's not too late for all of us to build our cities and nation to make it great again. 但我要说明:我们所有人要建构自己的城市,永远不会太迟 让城市重新再伟大起来,
It is never too late. 永远不会太迟。
It is never too late. 永远不会太迟。
You see, after three years of my four-and-a-half-year commandship in that district, three years in, after putting pastors in the car with my police because I knew this -- it's a little secret -- 你看看,用了三年的时间, 在我当社区执行官的四年半里, 三年下来, 当我把牧师和我的警队队友们一起放进于一辆车内, 因为我很清楚知道,那是一个小秘密,
pastors:n.(尤指非英国国教的)牧师;(pastor的复数)
I knew this: it was hard to stay a nasty police officer while you're riding around with a clergy . 我很清楚知道, 要制止一个糟糕的警察, 而牧师又在一旁的时候,确实很不容易。
nasty:adj.极差的:令人厌恶的:不友好的:n.令人不愉快的事物: clergy:n.神职人员;牧师;僧侣;
(Laughter) (笑声)
(Applause) (掌声)
You'd be getting in and out of the car, looking to your right, talking about: "Father, forgive me, for I have sinned ," all day long -- you can't do it! 上下车辆的时候,你都得向座位旁的牧师看一看,再说, 上主,请原谅我,因为我整日都有罪 -- 这其实做不了嘛!
forgive:v.原谅;免除(债务,义务等); sinned:v.犯戒律;犯过失(sin的过去分词和过去式) all day long:"allday"的变体;整天;一整天;终日;
So we came up with some incredible initiatives , engagements for our community and police to build that trust back. 所以我们推行了一些很捧的点子, 让我们的社区和警察重建信任。
initiatives:n.积极性;主动权(initiative的复数);创始; engagements:n.订婚;订婚期间;约定,约会;战斗;(engagement的复数)
We began to deal with our youth and with those who we consider are on the wrong side of the fence. 我们开始从青年们着手, 尤其是误上歧途的那幫青年。
on the wrong side of:过了…岁;已过…岁;亏欠;
We knew we had an economic problem, so we began to create jobs. 我们知道有经济难题, 所以我们开始创造就業。
economic:adj.经济的,经济上的;经济学的;
We knew there was sickness in our community and they didn't have access to proper medical care, so we'd partner up. 我们知道社区 而他们没有途径获得恰当的医疗支援, 所以我们找伙伴。
We got to that intersection and partnered up with anybody that wanted to partner with us and talked about what we needed holistically, never thinking about the crime. 我们来到那个交滙处寻找伙伴 任何愿意和我们并肩的伙伴。 一起讨论我们整体上需要甚么, 而从来不是着眼于罪行。
Because at the end of the day, if we took care of the needs of the people, if we got to the root cause, the crime would take care of itself. 因为终究来说, 只要我们照顾众人的需要, 只要我们从根源上着手, 罪恶也会自行归边。
It would take care of itself. 会自行归边。
(Applause) (掌声)
And so, after three years of a four-and-a-half-year stint , we looked back and we looked over and found out that we were at a 40-year historical low: our crime numbers, our homicides -- everything had dropped down, back to the 1970s. 所以,在这个四年半的期限,其中三年以来 我们回顾和重温, 然后会发现我们处于四十年来史上的最低点, 我们的犯罪数目,谋杀案, 全部都下降,回到七十年代的光景。
stint:n.节约;定额,定量;v.节省;限制;紧缩,节省; historical:adj.历史的;史学的;基于史实的; homicides:n.杀人;杀人犯;
And it might go back further, but the problem is, we only started keeping data since 1970. 甚至可能已经回到更久远的年代, 但问题是,我们的纪录只从七十年代开始搜集。
Forty-year crime low, so much so, I had other commanders call me, "Hey Mel, whatcha doin', man? 四十年来的罪案低点,蛮不错嘛,有其他指挥官打电话给我 "唏,米,你干了些甚么好事情,老兄?
commanders:n.指挥官(commander的复数);
Whatcha doin'? We gotta get some of that!" 到底干了些甚么好事情? 我们也得跟着才行!"
(Laughter) (笑声)
And so we gave them some of that. 所以我们和他们分享了我们的点子。
And in a short period of time, the city went to a 30-year crime low. 在短时间内, 那个城市成就了三十年来最低的罪行发生
For the first time in 30 years, we fell, Baltimore city, to under 200 homicides -- 197 to be exact. 三十年来首次,巴尔的摩城市,我们的谋杀案, 降低至少于二百宗,仔细来说,只有一百九十七宗。
And we celebrated, because we had learned to become great servers, become great servers first. 所以我们庆祝, 因为我们学懂了成为好的服务者, 首要先成为好的服务者。
But I gotta tell you this: these last few years, as much as we had learned to become great proactive police officers and great relational police officers rather than reactive , these last years have disappointed me. 但我也必须让你们知道:在刚过去的几年, 尽管我们学懂了 成为好的主动的警官 也成为了懂得关爱的警官,而不是纯反应模式的, 但在刚过去的几年,确实使我失望了。
proactive:adj.前摄的(前一活动中的因素对后一活动造成影响的); reactive:adj.反应的;电抗的;反动的;
They have broken my heart. 这伤了我的心。
The uprising still hurts. 陆续而来的也叫我伤心。
uprising:n.起义;升起;adj.升起的;v.起义(uprise的ing形式);升起;
It still hurts my heart, because truly I believe that it should've never happened. 想起时仍然会伤了我的心, 因为真心的我相信这从来不应该发生。
I believe it should've never happened if we were allowed to continue along the vein that we were in, servicing our community, treating them like human beings, treating them with respect , loving on them first. 我相信这从来不应该发生。 假设容许我们继续以我们认同的方式, 服务我们的社区, 以人为本,以人为尊, 爱人为首。
treating:v.以…态度对待;把…看作;处理;讨论;(treat的现在分词) with respect:怀有敬意;
If we continued in that vein, it would've never happened. 只要当时我们可以继续如此这般, 那其实根本不应该会发生。
But somehow, we went back to business as usual . 但是,不知怎么的,我们又回到了那种因循的模式。
business as usual:na.照常营业;
But I'm excited again! 可是我又感到兴奋不已了!
I'm excited again, because now we have a police commissioner who not only talks about community policing, but he absolutely understands it, and more importantly, he embraces it. 我又感到兴奋不已,因为我们现在的警察指挥官 对于社区里的监察,不会说说而已, 他透彻地理解, 更重要的是,他认同这个方向。
commissioner:n.理事;委员;行政长官;总裁; embraces:v.拥抱;乐意采纳(思想、建议等);信奉;包括;(embrace的第三人称单数)
So I'm very excited now. 所以我很感到兴奋。
Listen, I'm excited about Baltimore today, because we, as many cities, I believe shall rise from the ashes. 听好了,对于今天的巴尔的摩,我很雀跃, 因为就像很多城市一样,我相信,我们会置诸而后生。
I believe -- I truly believe -- 我相信 -- 我真心相信 --
(Applause) (掌声)
that we will be great again. 我们会再崛起。
I believe, as we continue to wrap arms and continue to say, "We're in this together," 我相信, 当我们继续并肩,继续同喊, “我们同舟共济”
because it's not just an intersection: once we meet, we now gotta get on the same path for the same goals, and this city will become great again. 因为那不只是一个交滙处: 当我们滙在一起,我们就在同一条道路上去实践同一样的目标, 这个城市会再好起来。
This nation will become great again. 这个国家会再次伟大起来。
Because we have the same goal: we all want peace. 因为我们有共同目标:我们心系和平。
We all want respect for one another. 我们希望互相尊重。
We all want love. 我们都希望得到爱。
And I believe we are back on that road, and I'm so excited about it. 我相信我们已回归到原来的这个方向, 我为此感到很雀跃,
So listen, I thank you for giving me a few minutes of your time. 所以听着,我谢谢您们给我的几分钟时间。
God bless you all. 上主保佑您们所有人。
(Applause) (掌声)
God bless you. 上主保佑您们。
(Applause) (掌声)