返回首页

MelatiWijsen_2015G-_我们在峇厘岛上的_禁止塑胶袋运动_

Melati Wijsen: Bali -- island of gods. 美乐蒂.维森:峇里岛--神明之岛。
Isabel Wijsen: A green paradise . 伊莎贝尔.维森: 绿色天堂。
paradise:n.天堂;至福境地;
MW: Or ... 美乐蒂: 或者是 ...
a paradise lost. 失落的天堂。
Bali: island of garbage . 峇里岛: 垃圾之岛。
garbage:n.垃圾;废物;
IW: In Bali, we generate 680 cubic meters of plastic garbage a day. 伊莎贝尔:在峇里岛, 我们一天会生产680立方公尺的塑胶垃圾,
generate:v.产生;引起; cubic:adj.立方体的,立方的;
That's about a 14-story building. 这大约是14层楼高,
And when it comes to plastic bags, less than five percent gets recycled . 当涉及到塑胶袋时, 它的回收率是少于5%的。
recycled:n.再生纸;回收站;adj.[环境]回收利用的;可循环再造的;
MW: We know that changes the image you may have of our island. 美乐蒂:我们知道塑胶袋已经改变了你对峇里岛的印象,
It changed ours, too, when we learned about it, when we learned that almost all plastic bags in Bali end up in our drains and then in our rivers and then in our ocean. 当我们意识到这件事的时候,它也改变了我们的-- 几乎所有峇里岛上的塑胶袋最后会流到我们的排水沟, 之然后转进我们的河流, 最后流进我们的海洋。
drains:n.排水沟(drain的复数);吸血;v.放出,排出(drain的第三人称单数);
And those that don't even make it to the ocean, they're either burned or littered. 而那些没有进到海洋的, 它们不是被焚化就是被乱丢弃掉。
IW: So we decided to do something about it. 伊莎贝尔:所以,我们决定要做些事情,
And we've been working for almost three years now to try to say no to plastic bags on our home island. 而且我们现在已经做了三年, 尝试在我们岛上的家园,向塑胶袋说不,
And we have had some significant successes. 而我们有相当显着的成功。
significant:adj.重大的;有效的;有意义的;值得注意的;意味深长的;n.象征;有意义的事物;
MW: We are sisters, and we go to the best school on earth: 美乐蒂:我们是姊妹, 我们在地球上最棒的学校上课:
Green School, Bali. 峇里岛,格林学校。
Green School is not only different in the way that it is built out of bamboo, but also in the way that it teaches. 格林学校与一般学校不同的地方,除了它是由竹子建造而成, 还有其教学方式。
in the way:妨碍;挡道;
We are taught to become leaders of today, something a normal textbook cannot match. 我们被教导成为今日的领袖, 这是普通的教科书所无法比拟的。
IW: One day we had a lesson in class where we learned about significant people, like Nelson Mandela, 伊莎贝尔:有一天,我们课堂上有一堂课, 我们在学习有关重要的人士, 像是尼尔森.曼德拉、
Lady Diana and Mahatma Gandhi . 戴安娜夫人、 圣雄甘地。
Mahatma:n.大圣;超人; Gandhi:n.甘地(印度政府,社会和宗教领袖);
Walking home that day, we agreed that we also wanted to be significant. 那天回家的路上, 我们达成一个共识:我们也想成为重要的人,
Why should we wait until we were grown up to be significant? 那为什么我们要等到我们长大时 才能变得重要呢?
We wanted to do something now. 我们现在,就想做一些事。
MW: Sitting on the sofa that night, we brainstormed and thought of all the issues facing Bali. 美乐蒂:坐在沙发上的那一晚, 我们脑力激荡并思考峇里岛现在所面临的问题。
brainstormed:adj.集思广益的;v.动脑筋;集思广益;想办法(brainstorm的过去分词); issues:n.重要议题;争论的问题;v.宣布;公布;发出;(issue的第三人称单数和复数)
And one thing that stood out to us the most was the plastic garbage. 而其中一个对我们而言最突出的问题就是 「塑胶垃圾」,
But that is a huge problem. 但这可是一个大问题。
So we looked into what was a realistic target for us kids: plastic bags. 所以我们调查我们小孩子可以实际达成的目标: 塑胶袋。
realistic:adj.现实的;现实主义的;逼真的;实在论的;
And the idea was born. 想法诞生了。
IW: We started researching, and let's just say, the more we learned, there was nothing good about plastic bags. 伊莎贝尔:我们开始研究, 这么说好了,我们了解得越多, 越觉得塑胶袋一点好处也没有,
And you know what? 而且你知道吗?
We don't even need them. 我们根本不需要它们。
MW: We were really inspired by the efforts to say no to plastic bags in many other places, from Hawaii to Rwanda and to severals cities like Oakland and Dublin . 美乐蒂:我们对在不同的地方举办的「向塑胶袋说不」的活动 从夏威夷到卢安达, 还有几个城市,像是奥克兰或都柏林。
inspired:adj.受到启发的; v.鼓舞; (inspire的过去分词和过去式) severals:adj.几个的;各自的;pron.几个;数个; Oakland:n.奥克兰(美国加州西部城市); Dublin:n.都柏林(爱尔兰共和国的首都);
IW: And so the idea turned into the launch of "Bye Bye Plastic Bags." 伊莎贝尔:所以我们把想法转换成「掰掰塑胶袋 」的活动。
launch:v.发射(导弹,火箭等); n.发射;
MW: In the years that we have been campaigning, we have learned a lot. 美乐蒂:这几年我们一直在办活动, 这让我们学到很多,
Lesson number one: you cannot do it all by yourself. 第一课: 一个人的能力终究是有限的。
You need a big team of like-minded kids, and so we formed the Bye Bye Plastic Bags crew. 你需要有一个志趣相投的小孩大团队, 所以我们招集了「掰掰塑胶袋 」组员。
like-minded:adj.志趣相投的;具有相似意向或目的的;
The volunteer team includes children from all over the island, from both international and local schools. 志工团队来自所有岛上的小孩, 包含国际及当地学校,
volunteer:n.志愿者;志愿兵;adj.志愿的;v.自愿;
And together with them, we started a multi-layered approach , based on an on- and off-line signature petition , educational and inspirational presentations at schools and we raise general awareness at markets, festivals, beach clean-ups . 跟他们一起, 我们开始一个多层级的接触, 主要是一些线上及线下的签名请愿书活动、 含有教育寓意及鼓舞人心的学校演讲, 我们也在市场、节庆、海滩清洁活动上提高大众的意识,
approach:n.方法;路径;v.接近;建议;着手处理; off-line:adj.离线的;[计]脱机的;不连结到线上的;adv.脱机地;脱线地;不实时地; signature:n.署名;签名;信号; petition:n.请愿;请愿书;祈求;[法]诉状;vi.请愿;请求;vt.请愿;请求;恳求; educational:adj.教育的;有关教育的;有教育意义的 inspirational:adj.鼓舞人心的;带有灵感的,给予灵感的; presentations:n.展示;自我介绍;业务陈述(presentation的复数形式); awareness:n.意识,认识;明白,知道; clean-ups:n.清除;净化;打扫卫生;
And last but not least , we distribute alternative bags, bags like net bags, recycled newspaper bags or 100 percent organic material bags, all made by local initiatives on the island. 最后但同样重要的, 我们分发替换袋, 像是网袋、 回收报纸袋、 或是100%有机物质袋, 全部是当地岛上的自发团体制做的。
last but not least:最后但不是最不重要的一点; distribute:v.分发;分配;分销;分散; alternative:adj.供选择的;选择性的;交替的;n.二中择一;供替代的选择; organic:adj.有机的;不使用化肥的;绿色的;有机物的;n.分子有机体; initiatives:n.积极性;主动权(initiative的复数);创始;
IW: We run a pilot village, home of 800 families. 伊莎贝尔:我们运作一个式范性的村庄, 它有800个家庭,
The village mayor was our first friend and he loved our T-shirts, so that helped. 村长是我们第一个朋友, 而且他喜欢我们的T恤,这很有幫助。
mayor:n.市长;镇长;
We focused on making the customers aware, because that's where the change needs to happen. 我们专注在建立顾客意识, 因为它需要发生改变,
The village is already two-thirds along the way of becoming plastic bag free. 村庄有三分之二的区域已经变成 无塑胶袋的区域。
two-thirds:n.三分之二;三分之二的;三分之二地;
Our first attempts to get the government of Bali on board failed. 我们第一次尝试邀请峇里岛政府参加,但失败了,
attempts:n.企图,试图;尝试(attempt的复数);v.试图;努力去做(attempt的三单形式);
So we thought, "Hmm ... a petition with one million signatures . 所以我们在想, 「嗯...如果有一百万个签名的请愿书,
signatures:n.签名;鲜明特征(signature的复数);
They can't ignore us, right?" 他们就不会忽视我们,对吧?」
ignore:v.驳回诉讼;忽视;不理睬;
MW: Right! 美乐蒂:对!
IW: But, who would have guessed one million signatures is, like, a thousand times a thousand? 伊莎贝尔:但,谁要不要猜一下, 100万个签名,是不是1000乘以1000啊?
(Laughter) (笑声)
We got stuck -- till we learned lesson number two: think outside the box . 我们卡住了-- 直到我们学到的第二课: 「跳脱框架,另类思考」
think outside the box:跳出固有思维模式;跳脱框架思考;解放思想;
Someone mentioned that the Bali airport handles 16 million arrivals and departures a year. 某人提过, 峇里岛机场每年要处理1600万人次的出入境旅客。
airport:n.机场;航空港; departures:n.出发;背离;出港(departure的复数);
MW: But how do we get into the airport? 美乐蒂:但我们要如何进去机场呢?
And here comes lesson number three: persistence . 所以有了第三课: 「坚持」
persistence:n.持续;固执;存留;坚持不懈;毅力;
Off we headed to the airport. 我们前往机场,
We got past the janitor . 我们通过看门警卫,
janitor:n.看门人;守卫;门警;
And then it was his boss's boss, and then the assistant office manager, and then the office manager, and then ... 然后去找他的长官的长官、 然后是助理办公室经理, 然后是办公室经理, 接着...
we got shuffled down two levels and thought, well, here comes the janitor again. 我们慢下脚步来到下两层,并想着... 好吧,又回到看门警卫这里了。
shuffled:拖曳;搅乱;推诿;洗牌(shuffle的过去式和过去分词);
And after several days knocking on doors and just being kids on a mission , we finally got to the commercial manager of Bali airports . 经过了几天的敲门 以及成为有着使命感的小孩子, 我们最后找到峇里岛机场的商業部经理,
mission:n.使命,任务;代表团;布道;v.派遣;向…传教; finally:adv.终于;最终;(用于列举)最后;彻底地; commercial:adj.贸易的;商业的;赢利的;以获利为目的的;n.(电台或电视播放的)广告; airports:n.[航]机场;[航]航空港(airport的复数形式);
And we gave him the "Bali of plastic bags" speech, and being a very nice man, he said, [imitating the man's voice] "I cannot believe what I'm about say, but I'm going to give authorization to collect signatures behind customs and immigrations ." 然后我们向他讲演了「全是塑胶袋的巴里岛」的内容, 他人很好,他说, [模仿他的声音]「我不敢相信我要说的话, 但我要授权给你们, 可以在海关及移民局后面收集签名 」。
authorization:n.授权,认可;批准,委任; immigrations:n.外来移民;移居;
(Laughter) (笑声)
(Applause) (掌声)
IW: In our first hour and a half there, we got almost 1,000 signatures. 伊莎贝尔:我们在那里的头一小时半, 就拿到快1000个签名,
How cool is that? 很酷吧?
Lesson number four: you need champions at all levels of society, from students to commercial managers to famous people. 第四课: 你需要社会各层菁英的幫助, 从学生到商業管理者到名人。
And thanks to the attraction of Green School, we had access to a steady stream of celebrities . 谢谢格林学校的吸引力, 让我们有稳定的名人可以访问。
steady:adj.稳定的; v.使稳定; v.稳定地; n.关系固定的情侣; celebrities:n.名人;名誉;(celebrity的复数)
Ban Ki Moon taught us that Secretary-Generals of the United Nations don't sign petitions -- 潘基文(韩国外交官、政治家)让我们知道, 联合国秘书长 不会签请愿书的--
Ban:v.下令禁止;查禁;n.禁令; United Nations:n.联合国; petitions:n.请愿(petition的复数);请愿书;v.向…请愿(petition的第三人称单数);
(Laughter) (笑声)
even if kids ask nicely . 即使我们好好地请求,
nicely:adv.细致地;有吸引力;令人满意;令人愉快;adj.强健的;
But he promised to spread the word, and now we work closely with the United Nations. 但他答应要传递这些讯息, 现在我们跟联合国合作地相当密切,
MW: Jane Goodall taught us the power of a people's network. 美乐蒂:珍.古道尔教我们,一个人的人际网路的力量。
She started with just one Roots Shoots group and now she has 4,000 groups around the world. 她是从一个名叫「根与芽」的团体开始, 现在她全世界有4000个团体。
We are one of them. 我们是其中之一。
She's a real inspiration. 她真的很鼓舞人心,
If you're a fellow Rotarian , nice to meet you. 如果你是扶轮社的一员, 很高兴见到您,
Rotarian:adj.扶轮社的;n.(美)扶轮社的会员;
We're Interactors, the youngest department of Rotary International. 我们是少年服务团团员, 国际扶轮社最年轻的部门。
Rotary:adj.旋转的,转动的;轮流的;n.旋转式机器;[动力]转缸式发动机;
IW: But we have also learned much about patience , 伊莎贝尔:但我们也学到很多有关于耐心、
patience:n.耐性,耐心;忍耐,容忍;
MW: how to deal with frustrations , 美乐蒂:如何处理挫折、
frustrations:n.沮丧;受阻;阻止;挫败;(frustration的复数)
IW: leadership, 伊莎贝尔:领导力、
MW: teamwork, 美乐蒂:团队合作、
IW: friendship, 伊莎贝尔:友谊,
MW: we learned more about the Balinese and their culture 美乐蒂:我们也学到更多有关峇厘岛人民及他们的文化。
Balinese:adj.巴厘岛的;巴里岛人的;巴厘语的;n.巴厘人;巴厘语;
IW: and we learned about the importance of commitment . 伊莎贝尔:我们也学到承诺的重要性。
commitment:n.承诺;投入;保证;许诺;
MW: It's not always easy. 美乐蒂:它并不总是顺利的。
Sometimes it does get a little bit hard to walk your talk. 有时候,要实践你说过的话会有点困难,
IW: But last year, we did exactly that. 伊莎贝尔:但去年,我真的做到了。
We went to India to give a talk, and our parents took us to visit the former private house of Mahatma Gandhi. 我们去印度演讲, 然后我们的父母带我们去拜访 前圣雄甘地的私人住所。
We learned about the power of hunger strikes he did to reach his goals. 我们学到了绝食抗议的力量, 他的确达成了他的目标,
Yes, by the end of the tour, when we met our parents again, we both made a decision and said, "We're going on a hunger strike !" 是的,就在旅行结束前, 我们再次与父母亲碰面, 我们两个都做了一个决定并跟他们说, 「我们要绝食抗议 !」
hunger strike:n.绝食(抗议);v.举行绝食抗议;
(Laughter) (笑声)
MW: And you can probably imagine their faces. 美乐蒂:你大概可以想像一下他们惊讶的表情,
It took a lot of convincing , and not only to our parents but to our friends and to our teachers as well. 我们说服了好久, 不只我们的父母, 还包括我们的朋友及老师,
convincing:adj.令人信服的; v.使确信; (convince的现在分词)
Isabel and I were serious about doing this. 伊莎贝尔和我都很认真看待这件事,
So we met with a nutritionist , and we came up with a compromise of not eating from sunrise to sunset every day until the governor of Bali would agree to meet with us to talk about how to stop plastic bags on Bali. 所以,我们跟一位营养师碰面, 然后我们达成了共识, 每天日落到日出都不能吃东西, 直到峇厘岛政府愿意见我们, 来讨论如何阻止峇厘岛上的塑胶袋。
nutritionist:n.营养工作者; compromise:n.妥协;折中;互让;和解;v.妥协;违背(原则);达不到(标准);使陷入危险; sunrise:n.日出;朝霞; sunset:adj.霞红色的; n.日落(时分); v.(使)定期届满废止;
IW: Our "mogak makan," as it is called in Bahasa Indonesia , started. 伊莎贝尔:我们的"mogak makan"印度语的"绝食抗议", 开始了。
Bahasa Indonesia:n.印尼语(指该国官方语言);
We used social media to support our goal and already on day two, police started to come to our home and school. 我们运用媒体支持我们的行动, 就在第二天, 警察开始来我们家里跟学校,
media:n.媒体;媒质(medium的复数);血管中层;浊塞音;中脉;
What were these two girls doing? 这两个女孩在搞甚么?
We knew we weren't making the governor look his best by doing this food strike -- we could have gone to jail . 我们知道我们不能藉由绝食抗议 来要求政府做事-- 这样我们可能会坐牢。
jail:n.监狱;监牢;拘留所;v.监禁;下狱;
But, hey, it worked. 但,嘿,有效了,
Twenty-four hours later, we were picked up from school and escorted to the office of the governor. 24小时后, 我们从学校被带走, 并护送到政府办公室,
escorted:v.护卫;护送(escort的过去分词和过去式)
MW: And there he was -- 伊莎贝尔:而他就在那--
(Applause) (掌声)
waiting for us to meet and speak, being all supportive and thankful for our willingness to care for the beauty and the environment of Bali. 等我们见面说话, 并全力支持感谢我们 对峇厘岛环境与美丽所付出的努力和关心。
supportive:adj.支持的;支援的;赞助的; willingness:n.乐意;心甘情愿;自动自发;
He signed a promise to help the people of Bali say no to plastic bags. 他签署了一个承诺, 来幫助峇厘岛人民"向塑胶袋说不"。
And we are now friends, and on a regular basis, we remind him and his team of the promises he has made. 现在我们是朋友了, 而且我们有规律地 提醒他及他的团队所承诺的事,
remind:v.提醒;使想起;
And indeed, recently he stated and committed that Bali will be plastic bag free by 2018. 的确, 最近他公开表示并承诺, 峇里岛到2018年将不会再有塑胶袋。
recently:adv.最近;新近; committed:adj.坚信的; v.做出错事; (commit的过去分词和过去式)
(Applause)
IW: Also, at the International Airport of Bali, one of our supporters is planning to start a plastic bag-free policy by 2016. 伊莎贝尔:而且,我们的支持者之一,峇厘岛国际机场 计画在2016年前完成无塑胶袋政策。
supporters:n.拥护者;(运动队的)支持者;(supporter的复数) policy:n.政策,方针;保险单;
MW: Stop handing out free plastic bags and bring in your own reusable bag is our next message to change that mindset of the public. 美乐蒂:逛街时不要使用塑胶袋, 并携带自己的可重复使用袋, 是我们下一个要改变大众观念的讯息。
mindset:n.心态;倾向;习惯;精神状态;
IW: Our short-term campaign, "One Island / One Voice," 伊莎贝尔:我们的短期活动, 「一个岛/一个声音」
short-term:adj.短期的;
is all about this. 就是有关于这些事。
We check and recognize the shops and restaurants that have declared themselves a plastic bag-free zone, and we put this sticker at their entrance and publish their names on social media and some important magazines on Bali. 我们会檢查并认证那些申明他们自己是 无塑胶袋区的商店与餐厅, 然后我们会在他们的入口处贴上这个贴纸, 并在社交媒体及重要的峇厘岛杂志上 公布他们的店名,
recognize:v.认识;认出;辨别出;承认;意识到; sticker:n.粘贴标签;贴纸; publish:v.出版;发表;公布;
And conversely , that highlights those who do not have the sticker. 反之, 凸显那些没有贴纸的店家。
conversely:adv.相反地; highlights:n.拔萃,集锦; v.使突出(highlight的三单形式);
(Laughter) (笑声)
MW: So, why are we actually telling you all of this? 美乐蒂:那,为什么我们一定要告诉你们这些呢?
Well, partly, it is because we are proud of the results that, together with our team, we have been able to reach. 好吧,一部分原因是我们的团队 对我们有能力能达成这样的成果 感到很骄傲。
But also because along the way, we have learned that kids can do things. 但也有部分原因是, 我们学到了: 小孩也能做有意义的事,
We can make things happen. 我们能让事情成真。
Isabel and I were only 10 and 12 years old when we started this. 伊莎贝尔和我开始在做这件事时, 只有10岁、12岁。
We never had a business plan, nor a fixed strategy , nor any hidden agendas -- just the idea in front of us and a group of friends working with us. 我们从来没有商業计画, 或者固定的策略, 也没有隐瞒的议程-- 仅是我们眼前的一个理想, 及一群与我们工作的团队,
strategy:n.策略;行动计划;部署;战略; agendas:n.会议议程(agenda的复数);
All we wanted to do was stop those plastic bags from wrapping and suffocating our beautiful home. 我们想做的仅仅只是停止让塑胶袋 继续包围破坏我们美丽的家园。
wrapping:n.包装材料;包装纸;v.包,裹(礼物等);用…包裹;(wrap的现在分词) suffocating:adj.令人呼吸困难的; v.(使)窒息而死; (suffocate的现在分词)
Kids have a boundless energy and a motivation to be the change the world needs. 小孩有用不完的能量, 以及,为世界需要的改变而努力的动机。
boundless:adj.无限的;无边无际的; motivation:n.动机;积极性;推动;
IW: So to all the kids of this beautiful but challenging world: go for it ! 伊莎贝尔:给在这个美丽又充满挑战的世界上的所有小孩一句话: 去做吧!
go for it:努力争取;加油;
Make that difference. 去做些不一样的事。
We're not telling you it's going to be easy. 我们并没有说这将会很简单,
We're telling you it's going to be worth it. 我们想告诉你的是,它是值得的。
Us kids may only be 25 percent of the world's population, but we are 100 percent of the future. 我们小孩子虽然仅占世界上25%的人口, 但我们才是100%的未来。
MW: We still have a lot of work to do, but know that we still not stop until the first question asked when arriving at the Bali airports will be 美乐蒂:我们仍有很多事要做, 但即使如此,我们也不会停下来, 直到抵达峇厘岛机场时,被问到的第一个问题将会是:
Both: "Welcome to Bali, do you have nay plastic bags to declare?" 欢迎来到峇厘岛, 你有塑胶袋要申报吗?"
(Laughter) (笑声)
Om shanti shanti shanti om. (印度语)愿宇宙万物和平。
shanti:n.亮丽人生(专辑名);
Thank you.
(Applause) 谢谢!