|
|
MechaiViravaidya_2010X-_套套先生,让泰国更美好_
|
Welcome to Thailand . |
欢迎来到泰国。 |
Thailand:n.泰国(东南亚国家名);
|
Now, when I was a young man -- 40 years ago, the country was very, very poor with lots and lots and lots of people living in poverty . |
四十年前,我还是个年轻小伙子的时候, 这个国家非常,非常穷。 无数人过着贫困的生活。 |
poverty:n.贫困;困难;缺少;低劣;
|
We decided to do something about it, but we didn't begin with a welfare program or a poverty reduction program. |
我们决心改变这一切, 但我们没有实施任何福利政策, 或者扶贫计划。 |
welfare:n.福祉;(政府给予的)福利; reduction:n.减少;缩小;降低;减价;折扣;缩图;
|
But we began with a family-planning program, following a very successful maternal child health activity, sets of activities. |
我们开始推行计划生育政策, 采取了一套非常成功的 母子保健措施, 多项措施。 |
maternal:adj.母亲的;母性的;母系的;母体遗传的;
|
So basically , no one would accept family planning if their children didn't survive. |
总的来说,如果孩子出生后不能存活, 自然不会有人接受计划生育。 |
basically:adv.主要地,基本上; family planning:n.计划生育;家庭计划;
|
So the first step: get to the children, get to the mothers, and then follow up with family planning. |
所以,第一步就要保证孩子和母亲的生活, 然后实行计划生育。 |
Not just child mortality alone, you need also family planning. |
光控制婴儿的死亡率是不够的,你还需要计划生育。 |
mortality:n.死亡数,死亡率;必死性,必死的命运;
|
Now let me take you back as to why we needed to do it. |
我带大家回顾一下 当初我们为什么要采取这个政策。 |
In my country, that was the case in 1974. |
1974年,在我的国家里 |
Seven children per family -- tremendous growth at 3.3 percent. |
平均每个家庭有七个孩子。 人口增长率高达3.3%. |
tremendous:adj.极大的,巨大的;惊人的;极好的;
|
There was just no future. |
根本没有未来可言。 |
We needed to reduce the population growth rate. |
我们必须降低人口增长率。 |
So we said, "Let's do it." |
于是我们决定:“马上行动。” |
The women said, "We agree. We'll use pills , but we need a doctor to prescribe the pills ," |
而妇女们说:“我们同意。我们可以使用避孕药, 但是需要医生开药。” |
pills:n.药丸; v.起球; (pill的第三人称单数和复数) prescribe:v.给…开(药);让…采用(疗法);开(处方);命令;
|
and we had very, very few doctors. |
不巧的是我国当时没几个医生。 |
We didn't take no as an answer; we took no as a question. |
我们并没有气馁; 而是试图解决这个问题。 |
We went to the nurses and the midwives , who were also women, and did a fantastic job at explaining how to use the pill. |
我们向护士们和助产士们求助,她们都是女性, 她们出色地解说了 避孕药的使用方法。 |
midwives:n.助产士; v.促成; fantastic:奇异的,空想的
|
That was wonderful, but it covered only 20 percent of the country. |
这非常好, 但是这也只能帮助全国20% 的地区。 |
What do we do for the other 80 percent -- leave them alone and say, "Well, they're not medical personnel ." |
剩下的80%怎么办呢 -- 撒手不管,说:“没办法,我们没有足够的医务人员”? |
personnel:n.人事部门;全体人员;adj.人员的;有关人事的;
|
No, we decided to do a bit more. |
不,我们决定做出更多努力。 |
So we went to the ordinary people that you saw. |
于是我们向普通老百姓求助,就是你们看到的这些人。 |
Actually, below that yellow sign -- |
实际上,在那个黄色牌子后面 -- |
I wish they hadn't wiped that, because there was " Coca-Cola " there. |
但愿他们还没把它撤下来, 因为牌子后面放的是可口可乐。 |
Coca-Cola:n.可口可乐(美国饮料公司);
|
We were so much bigger than Coca-Cola in those days. |
我们当时的名气比可口可乐大多了。 |
And no difference, the people they chose were the people we chose. |
普通老百姓一样可以胜任, 他们帮助的人群正是我们的目标人群。 |
They were well-known in the community , they knew that customers were always right, and they were terrific , and they practiced their family planning themselves. |
他们和他们的圈子里的人很熟, 他们知道顾客就是上帝, 他们不但帮了大忙,自己也在进行节育措施。 |
well-known:adj.著名的;众所周知的;清楚明白的; community:n.社区;[生态]群落;共同体;团体; terrific:adj.极好的;极其的,非常的;可怕的;
|
So they could supply pills and condoms throughout the country, in every village of the country. |
他们可以在全国各个村庄 提供避孕药和安全套。 |
condoms:n.避孕套,安全套;(condom的复数) throughout:adv.自始至终,到处;全部;prep.贯穿,遍及;
|
So there we are. We went to the people who were seen as the cause of the problem to be the solution . |
就这样,我们找这些老百姓帮忙。 他们实际上是在帮助自己 解决问题。 |
solution:n.解决方案;溶液;溶解;解答;
|
Wherever there were people -- and you can see boats with the women, selling things -- here's the floating market selling bananas and crabs and also contraceptives -- wherever you find people, you'll find contraceptives in Thailand. |
只要是有人的地方 -- 你们看到这些划船的妇女 -- 在卖东西 -- 这里是一个水上市场 卖香蕉和螃蟹 还有节育用品 -- 在泰国,只要是有人的地方, 你就能找到节育用品。 |
crabs:n.蟹类;吊钳;脾气坏的人(crab的复数);v.捕蟹;抱怨;侧航(crab的三单形式); contraceptives:n.[药]避孕药(contraceptive的复数形式);避孕用品;
|
And then we decided, why not get to religion because in the Philippines , the Catholic Church was pretty strong, and Thai people were Buddhist . |
接着,我们决定找宗教人士帮忙, 在菲律宾, 天主教堂的影响力非常大, 而泰国人信仰佛教。 |
Philippines:n.菲律宾; Catholic:adj.天主教的;宽宏大量的;n.天主教徒;罗马天主教; Buddhist:n.佛教徒;adj.佛教的;
|
We went to them and they said, "Look, could you help us?" |
我们去找他们,他们说:”能请你们帮忙吗?“ |
I'm there -- the one in blue, not the yellow -- holding a bowl of holy water for the monk to sprinkle holy water on pills and condoms for the sanctity of the family. |
我当时在场,穿蓝色衣服的就是我,不是黄衣服那个, 我手里捧着一碗圣水 让那个和尚把圣水 浇在避孕药和安全套上 来保佑家庭的圣洁。 |
holy water:n.圣水; monk:n.僧侣,修道士;和尚; sprinkle:v.撒;洒;把…撒(或洒)在…上;用…点缀;下小雨;n.小雨; sanctity:n.圣洁;尊严;神圣不可侵犯性;
|
And this picture was sent throughout the country. |
这张照片传遍了全国。 |
So some of the monks in the villages were doing the same thing themselves. |
一些和尚在各自的村子里也在做同样的工作 |
And the women were saying, "No wonder we have no side-effects . |
妇女们说:”难怪我们没感到任何副作用。 |
side-effects:副作用;附带后果;
|
It's been blessed ." |
原来是佛祖保佑啊。” |
blessed:adj.神圣的; v.求上帝降福于; (bless的过去分词和过去式)
|
That was their perception . |
她们是这么想的。 |
perception:n.感知;知觉;看法;洞察力;
|
And then we went to teachers. |
我们去找教师们。 |
You need everybody to be involved in trying to provide whatever it is that make humanity a better place. |
你需要所有人的参与, 各尽一份力 让世界更人性化。 |
involved:adj.有关的; v.涉及; (involve的过去式和过去分词) humanity:n.人类;人道;仁慈;人文学科;
|
So we went to the teachers. |
于是我们去找教师们。 |
Over a quarter of a million were taught about family planning with a new alphabet -- A, B for birth, C for condom, |
超过二十五万人在学校学习与计划生育有关的新字母表 A,B是birth(生育),C是condom(安全套), |
I for IUD, V for vasectomy . |
I是 IUD (子宫内用具), V是 vasectomy(输精管结扎术). |
vasectomy:n.[泌尿]输精管切除术;
|
And then we had a snakes and ladders game, where you throw dice . |
我们后来还有一套智力棋游戏,置色子来玩的。 |
snakes and ladders:n.蛇梯棋(棋子顺梯子图案前进,顺着蛇图案后退); dice:n.骰子;色子;掷骰游戏;掷骰赌博;v.将(肉、菜等)切成小方块;将…切成丁;
|
If you land on anything pro-family planning, you move ahead. |
如果你的棋落在支持节育的格子里,那你就可以继续向前走。 |
pro-family:adj.赞成大家庭的;反对节育的;
|
Like, "Mother takes the pill every night. |
比如说,“妈妈每晚服避孕药。 |
Very good, mother. Move ahead. |
非常好,妈妈。往前走。 |
Uncle buys a condom. Very good, uncle. Move ahead. |
叔叔买了一个安全套。非常好,叔叔。往前走。 |
Uncle gets drunk, doesn't use condom. Come back, start again." |
叔叔喝醉了,没有用安全套。退回去,从头来。” |
(Laughter) |
(大笑) |
Again, education, class entertainment. |
这叫寓教于乐。 |
And the kids were doing it in school too. |
孩子们在学校里也有这些活动。 |
We had relay races with condoms, we had children's condom-blowing championship . |
我们有安全套接力赛, 还有少儿吹安全套冠军杯。 |
relay:n.接力赛; v.转发(信息、消息等); championship:n.锦标赛;冠军称号;冠军的地位;
|
And before long , the condom was know as the girl's best friend. |
不久前, 安全套荣幸地成为女孩子们最亲密的朋友。 |
before long:不久以后;
|
In Thailand, for poor people, diamonds don't make it -- so the condom is the girl's best friend. |
在泰国,对于穷人来说,钻石太遥不可及了。 所以安全套取而代之,成为女孩们最好的朋友。 |
We introduced our first microcredit program in 1975, and the women who organized it said, "We only want to lend to women who practice family planning. |
1975年,我们开始推行首个小额贷款政策。 做筹划工作的妇女们说: “我们只贷款给 那些进行节育的妇女。 |
microcredit:n.微型贷款;微额信贷; organized:adj.有组织的; v.组织; (organize的过去分词和过去式)
|
If you're pregnant , take care of your pregnancy . |
如果你怀孕了,那你就得自己想办法了。 |
pregnant:adj.怀孕的;富有意义的; pregnancy:n.怀孕;丰富,多产;意义深长;
|
If you're not pregnant, you can take a loan out from us." |
如果你没怀孕,那就可以向我们贷款。” |
And that was run by them. |
这就是由她们组织的。 |
And after 35/36 years, it's still going on. |
35年,36年之后, 这个项目还在进行。 |
It's a part of the Village Development Bank; it's not a real bank, but it's a fund -- microcredit. |
现在已经成为农村发展银行的一个部门了。 这不是一个真的银行,而是一个基金会 -- 提供小额贷款。 |
fund:n.基金;资金;存款;v.投资;资助;
|
And we didn't need a big organization to run it -- it was run by the villagers themselves. |
我们不需要一个大型组织来管理这个项目。 它是由村民自主管理的。 |
organization:n.组织;机构;体制;团体;
|
And you probably hardly see a Thai man there, it's always women, women, women, women. |
在这里,你可能很难看到泰国男人。 到处都是女人,女人,女人,女人。 |
And then we thought we'd help America, because America's been helping everyone, whether they want help or not. |
后来,我们觉得应该帮助一下美国, 因为美国不管人家需不需要帮助, 总是乐于助人。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
And this is on the Fourth of July . |
这是7月4日美国国庆日。 |
Fourth of July:n.美国独立纪念日(纪念美国于1776年7月4日独立);
|
We decided to provide vasectomy to all men, but in particular , American men to the front of the queue , right up to the Ambassador's residence during his [unclear]. |
我们决定向所有男性提供输精管结扎手术。 而先到场的美籍男性可以享受特殊待遇, 直接在美国大使的官邸 进行手术。 |
in particular:尤其,特别; queue:n.行列;(存储的数据)队列;v.(人、车等)排队等候;(使)排队;列队等待; residence:n.住宅,住处;居住;
|
And the hotel gave us the ballroom for it -- very appropriate room. |
宾馆把舞厅借给我们做场地。 这是一个相当正经的房间。 |
ballroom:n.舞厅;跳舞场; appropriate:adj.适当的;恰当的;v.占用,拨出;
|
(Laughter) |
(大笑) |
And since it was near lunch time, they said, "All right, we'll give you some lunch. |
快到午饭时间, 他们说:“好了,我们会准备午餐。 |
Of course, it must be American cola. |
当然,肯定要有美国可乐。 |
You get two brands , Coke and Pepsi . |
有两种选择,可口可乐和百事可乐。 |
brands:n.品牌;烙印(brand的复数);v.加商标于;铭刻于(brand的第三人称单数); Pepsi:n.[食品]百事可乐(一种饮料的商标名称);
|
And then the food is either hamburger or hotdog." |
可供选择的食物有汉堡包和热狗。” |
And I thought a hotdog will be more symbolic . |
我觉得还是热狗更具象征意义。 |
symbolic:adj.象征的;符号的;使用符号的;
|
(Laughter) |
(哄堂大笑) |
And here is this, then, young man called Willy Bohm who worked for the USAID. |
这一位小伙子叫威利.波姆, 他为美国国际开发总署工作。 |
Obviously, he's had his vasectomy because his hotdog is half eaten, and he was very happy. |
很明显,他刚做完结扎手术, 看他手里拿着吃得只剩一半的热狗,还乐呵呵的。 |
It made a lot of news in America, and it angered some people also. |
这在美国制造了很多新闻,还惹怒了一些人。 |
I said, "Don't worry. Come over and I'll do the whole lot of you." |
我说:“没关系。你们也过来吧,我们会满足所有人的需要。” |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
And what happened? |
结果如何? |
In all this thing, from seven children to 1.5 children, population growth rate of 3.3 to 0.5. |
在所有努力之下, 每个家庭平均7个孩子减少到1.5个。 人口增长率从3.3%降到0.5%。 |
You could call it the Coca-Cola approach if you like -- it was exactly the same thing. |
你可以把它称为可口可乐策略。 因为我们用的是同样的策略。 |
approach:n.方法;路径;v.接近;建议;着手处理;
|
I'm not sure whether Coca-Cola followed us, or we followed Coca-Cola, but we're good friends. |
我不确定是可口可乐学我们,还是我们学他们, 反正我们是铁哥们儿。 |
And so that's the case of everyone joining in. |
这是所有人一同出力的结果。 |
We didn't have a strong government. We didn't have lots of doctors. |
当时的政府软弱无力,而我们又没有足够的医生。 |
But it's everybody's job who can change attitude and behavior. |
但是,只有所有人行动起来, 才能改变人们的态度和行为。 |
attitude:n.态度;看法;意见;姿势;
|
Then AIDS came along and hit Thailand, and we had to stop doing a lot of good things to fight AIDS. |
随后,艾滋病席卷了泰国。 我们不得不停下手中忙碌的事业 来抗击艾滋病。 |
But unfortunately , the government was in denial , denial , denial. |
不幸的是,政府一再否决我们的行动。 |
unfortunately:adv.不幸地; denial:n.否认;否定;剥夺(应有的权利);拒不承认(令人不快、痛苦的事);
|
So our work wasn't affected. |
我们的工作没有取得成效。 |
So I thought, "Well, if you can't go to the government, go to the military ." |
于是,我想:“既然不能向政府求助,那就去找军方。” |
military:adj.军事的;军人的;适于战争的;n.军队;军人;
|
So I went to the military and asked to borrow 300 radio stations. |
我就去了军队, 向他们借300个广播电台。 |
They have more than the government, and they've got more guns than the government. |
他们拥有的电台比政府的多, 他们的枪也比政府的多。 |
So I asked them, could they help us in our fight against HIV . |
我问他们是否能帮我们 抗击艾滋病。 |
HIV:n.艾滋病病毒;
|
And after I gave them statistics , they said, "Yes. Okay. You can use all the radio stations, television stations." |
我把数据资料给他们看。 他们说:“好的。你可以用我们所有的电台和电视台。” |
statistics:n.统计数字;统计资料;统计学;(statistic的复数)
|
And that's when we went onto the airwaves . |
就这样,我们可以在空中做宣传了。 |
airwaves:n.电视广播;
|
And then we got a new prime minister soon after that. |
在此之后,我们有了新一任总理。 |
prime minister:n.首相;总理;
|
And he said, "Mechai, could you come and join?" |
他说:“Mechai,你愿意加入我们吗?” |
He asked me in because he liked my wife a lot. |
他邀请我加入是因为他很欣赏我夫人。 |
So I said, "Okay." |
我说:“好的。” |
He became the chairman of the National AIDS Committee and increased the budget fifty-fold. |
他成了国家艾滋病协会主席 并把预算提高到之前的五倍。 |
Committee:n.委员会; budget:n.预算,预算费;v.安排,预定;把…编入预算;adj.廉价的;
|
Every ministry , even judges, had to be involved in AIDS education -- everyone -- and we said the public, institutions , religious institutions , schools -- everyone was involved. |
每个部门的部长,甚至法官们,都必须接受艾滋病教育。 所有人。包括老百姓,各个机构, 宗教组织,学校 -- 所有人都参与了。 |
ministry:n.(政府的)部门; institutions:n.机构;慈善机构;风俗习惯,制度;(institution的复数) religious:adj.宗教的;虔诚的;严谨的;修道的;n.修道士;尼姑;
|
And here, every media person had to be trained for HIV. |
每个媒体工作者 也必须接受艾滋病相关的培训。 |
media:n.媒体;媒质(medium的复数);血管中层;浊塞音;中脉;
|
And we gave every station half a minute extra for advertising to earn more money. |
作为回报,我们让每个电台或电视台 加播半分钟的广告来赚更多钱。 |
extra:adj.额外的:n.额外的事物:adv.额外:另外: advertising:n.做广告;广告业;广告活动;v.做广告;(advertise的现在分词)
|
So they were happy with that. |
他们对此很满意。 |
And then AIDS education in all schools, starting from university. |
所有学校都开展艾滋病教育, 首先从大学校园开始。 |
And these are high school kids teaching high school kids. |
这些高中生正在教其他高中生。 |
And the best teachers were the girls, not the boys, and they were terrific. |
在教课方面,女生比男生强多了。 她们非常能干。 |
And these girls who go around teaching about safe sex and HIV were known as Mother Theresa. |
这些到各个校园宣传安全性知识和艾滋病预防的姑娘们 被亲切地称为“特蕾莎修女”。 |
And then we went down one more step. |
接下来,我们进一步采取措施。 |
These are primary school kids -- third, fourth grade -- going to every household in the village, every household in the whole of Thailand, giving AIDS information and a condom to every household, given by these young kids. |
这些是小学生 -- 三四年级 -- 他们会挨家挨户走边整个村子, 走边整个泰国, 宣传艾滋病知识,把安全套 发放到每家每户。 让这些孩子来完成这些工作。 |
primary school:小学; household:n.家庭;一家人;同住一所(或一套)房子的人;adj.家庭的;家常的;王室的;
|
And no parents objected, because we were trying to save lives, and this was a lifesaver . |
没有家长反对,因为这是在拯救生命, 是捍卫生命的行动。 |
lifesaver:n.救助物;救命物;
|
And we said, "Everyone needs to be involved." |
我们呼吁:“所有人都行动起来。” |
So you have the companies also realizing that sick staff don't work, and dead customers don't buy. |
各个公司都意识到 病了的员工不能工作;死了的顾客不能购买。 |
So they all trained. |
他们都接受了培训。 |
And then we have this Captain Condom, with his Harvard MBA, going to schools and night spots. |
这位“安全套船长” 凭着哈佛大学的MBA, 奔走于各个学校和夜店。 |
Harvard:n.哈佛大学;哈佛大学学生;
|
And they loved him. You need a symbol of something. |
他很受欢迎。一个代言人是必要的。 |
In every country, every program, you need a symbol, and this is probably the best thing he's ever done with his MBA. |
每个国家,每个政策,都需要一个形象代言人, 这份工作应该算是他靠MBA混来的最美的差事了。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
And then we gave condoms out everywhere on the streets -- everywhere, everywhere. |
我们在大街上到处发放安全套 -- 走到哪儿,发到哪儿。 |
In taxis, you get condoms. |
连出租车上都有安全套。 |
And also, in traffic, the policemen give you condoms -- our " cops and rubbers " programs. |
另外,你在开车的时候, 交警也会给你发安全套 -- 这是我们的“胶警”项目。 |
cops:n.警察;v.遭受;忍受;注意到;(cop的第三人称单数和复数) rubbers:n.绵羊选,[橡胶]橡胶;
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
So, can you imagine New York policemen giving out condoms? |
大家能想像到纽约市交警给你发安全套吗? |
Of course I can. And they'd enjoy it immensely; |
我反正没问题。他们肯定会乐此不疲的。 |
I see them standing around right now, everywhere. |
我能想像他们现在就站在街上, |
Imagine if they had condoms, giving out to all sorts of people. |
手上拿着安全套, 分发给形形色色的路人。 |
And then, new change, we had hair bands , clothing and the condom for your mobile phone during the rainy season. |
新产品来了, 我们有(安全套做的)发带,服饰, 要是碰上雨季,我们给你的手机 也备上了安全套。 |
bands:n.乐队;法官; mobile phone:移动电话
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
And these were the condoms that we introduced. |
这些是我们生产的安全套。 |
One says, "Weapon of mass protection." |
这个上面写着:“大规模保护性武器”。 |
We found -- you know -- somebody here was searching for the weapon of mass destruction , but we have found the weapon of mass protection: the condom. |
我们找到了, 某些人在搜寻大规模杀伤性武器, 但是我们找到了大规模保护性武器 -- 安全套。 |
weapon of mass destruction:n.大规模杀伤性武器(如核武器、化学武器和生物武器);
|
And then it says here, with the American flag, "Don't leave home without it." |
这一个有星条旗图案的写着, “出门常备。” |
But I have some to give out afterward . |
我过后会把它们发给大家。 |
afterward:adv.以后,后来;
|
But let me warn you, these are Thai-sized, so be very careful. |
但是,提醒你们一下,这些都是泰国人的尺寸, 所以要慎用啊。 |
(Laughter) |
(大笑) |
And so you can see that condoms can do so many things. |
你们看, 安全套实在是神通广大。 |
Look at this -- |
大家看这里。 |
I gave this to Al Gore and to Bill Senior also. |
我给了Al Gore和 Bill Senior一人一件。 |
Senior:adj.大;级别(或地位)高的;成人的;高级水平的;n.上级;上司;较…年长的人;
|
Stop global warming; use condoms. |
上面写着“阻止全球变暖;请使用安全套”。 |
global:adj.全球的;总体的;球形的;
|
And then this is the picture I mentioned to you -- the weapon of mass protection. |
这一件我刚才跟大家提过 -- 大规模保护性武器。 |
And let the next Olympics save some lives. |
让下一届奥运会拯救更多生命。 |
Why just run around ? |
穿上它出去跑一圈吧! |
run around:n.遁词;借口;
|
(Laughter) |
(大笑) |
And then finally , in Thailand we're Buddhist, we don't have a God, so instead, we say, "In rubber we trust." |
最后一件, 在泰国,我们信佛,不信上帝, 所以,我们的口号是:“我们信靠橡胶套”。 |
finally:adv.终于;最终;(用于列举)最后;彻底地;
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
So you can see that we added everything to our endeavor to make life better for the people. |
大家可以看到,为了让人们过上更美好的生活, 我们尽了一切努力。 |
endeavor:n.v.努力;尽力;试图;
|
We had condoms in all the refrigerators in the hotels and the schools, because alcohol impairs judgment . |
所有宾馆和学校的冰箱里都保存着安全套, 因为人们容易酒后乱性。 |
alcohol:n.酒精;乙醇;含酒精饮料; impairs:损害;受损的; judgment:n.判断;裁判;判决书;辨别力;
|
And then what happened? |
结果是什么呢? |
After all this time, everybody joined in. |
结果,所有人都参与了进来。 |
According to the U.N., new cases of HIV declined by 90 percent, and according to the World Bank, 7.7 million lives were s aved. |
联合国的数据显示, 艾滋病的新增病例 降低了百分之九十。 世界银行的报告显示, 我们的行动拯救了770万人的生命。 |
According to:根据,据说; declined:v.减少;下降;衰弱;婉言拒绝;(decline的过去分词和过去式)
|
Otherwise there wouldn't be many Thais walking around today. |
否则,今天就看不到这么多泰国人在街上晃悠了。 |
So it just showed you, you could do something about it. |
这是在告诉大家,你们也能尽一份力。 |
90 percent of the funding came from Thailand. |
百分之九十的资金都来自泰国国内。 |
funding:n.基金;资金;提供资金;v.为…提供资金;拨款给;(fund的现在分词)
|
There was political commitment , some financial commitment , and everybody joined in the fight. |
有政治性的帮助,经济上的帮助, 每个人都各尽其责。 |
commitment:n.承诺;投入;保证;许诺; financial:adj.金融的;财政的,财务的;
|
So just don't leave it to the specialists and doctors and nurses. |
这不仅仅是专家,医生和护士的责任。 |
We all need to help. |
我们都要出力。 |
And then we decided to help people out of poverty, now that we got AIDS somewhat out of the way -- this time, not with government alone, but in cooperation with the business community. |
接着,我们决定帮助人们脱离贫困, 我们成功阻止了艾滋病的蔓延, 这一次,政府不再唱独角戏, 企业与政府开始联袂合作。 |
somewhat:n.几分;某物;adv.有点;多少;几分;稍微; cooperation:n.合作;配合;
|
Because poor people are business people who lack business skills and access to credit. |
穷人其实也可以是生意人, 只不过他们缺少技能和资金。 |
Those are the things to be provided by the business community. |
这些都必须由企业界提供。 |
provided:conj.假如; v.提供; (provide的过去分词和过去式)
|
We're trying to turn them into barefoot entrepreneurs , little business people. |
我们帮助他们白手起家, 做小本生意。 |
barefoot:adj.赤脚的;adv.赤着脚地; entrepreneurs:n.企业家;(entrepreneur的复数)
|
The only way out of poverty is through business enterprise. |
致富的唯一出路是创业。 |
So, that was done. |
我们成功了。 |
The money goes from the company into the village via tree-planting . |
资金引入到农村, 村民靠种树赚钱。 |
via:prep.通过;经由;n.道路;[医]管道; tree-planting:n.植树造林;
|
It's not a free gift. |
这可不是天上掉馅饼。 |
They plant the trees, and the money goes into their microcredit fund, which we call the Village Development Bank. |
他们种树所得的钱要转成小额信贷基金, 这就是农村发展银行。 |
Everybody joins in, and they feel they own the bank, because they have brought the money in. |
大家都参与, 他们感觉自己是银行的主人, 因为钱都是他们自己的。 |
And before you can borrow the money, you need to be trained. |
贷款之前,你必须经过培训。 |
And we believe if you want to help the poor, those who are living in poverty, access to credit must be a human right . |
我们相信,如果你想帮助 现在还过着穷日子的人们, 那么就应该向他们提供贷款。 |
human right:n.人权;
|
Access to credit must be a human right. |
贷款必须成为一项基本人权。 |
Otherwise they'll never get out of poverty. |
否则,他们永远无法从贫困中走出来。 |
And then before getting a loan, you must be trained. |
不过拿到贷款之前,你必须经过培训。 |
Here's what we call a "barefoot MBA," |
这个项目叫做“白手MBA”, |
teaching people how to do business so that, when they borrow money, they'll succeed with the business. |
教授如何经商 这样,他们贷款以后才会成功赚钱。 |
These are some of the businesses: mushrooms, crabs, vegetables, trees, fruits, and this is very interesting -- Nike ice cream and Nike biscuits; this is a village sponsored by Nike. |
这些是他们做的生意: 卖蘑菇,螃蟹,蔬菜, 树木,水果, 这个非常有意思 -- 耐克牌的冰淇淋和饼干。 这个村庄是由耐克公司赞助的。 |
sponsored:adj.(活动或比赛)为慈善筹款而举办的; v.赞助(活动、节目等); (sponsor的过去式和过去分词)
|
They said, "They should stop making shoes and clothes. |
他们说:“他们应该停止生产鞋子和服装。 |
Make these better, because we can afford them." |
这些更赚钱,因为我们买得起。“ |
afford:v.给予,提供;买得起;
|
And then we have silk, Thai silk. |
我们还有丝绸,泰国丝绸。 |
Now we're making Scottish tartans, as you can see on the left, to sell to all people of Scottish ancestors. |
正如左边这张图,我们现在还生产苏格兰格子呢绒, 然后卖给苏格兰后裔。 |
as you can see:正如你所看到的;你是知道的;
|
So anyone sitting in and watching TV, get in touch with me. |
在场或者电视机前的有意者, 可以跟我联系。 |
in touch with:同…有联系,和…有接触;
|
And then this is our answer to Starbucks in Thailand -- "Coffee and Condoms." |
这是泰国的星巴克里的标语 -- 咖啡与安全套 。 |
Starbucks:n.星巴克(咖啡店名);
|
See, Starbucks you awake, we keep you awake and alive. |
星巴克咖啡让你保持清醒,而我们既让你保持清醒又让你充满活力。 |
That's the difference. |
这可太不一样了。 |
Can you imagine, at every Starbucks that you can also get condoms? |
你能想像吗?你在每家星巴克 都可以买到安全套吗。 |
You can order your condoms with your with your cappuccino . |
你还可以点一杯牛奶咖啡,顺便来几个安全套。 |
cappuccino:n.热牛奶咖啡;(意)卡普齐诺咖啡;
|
And then now, finally in education, we want to change the school as being underutilized into a place where it's a lifelong learning center for everyone. |
最后,在教育方面, 我们想充分利用学校资源, 把它变成一个供人终生学习的场所 |
underutilized:vt.未充分使用(underutilize过去式);
|
We call this our School-Based Integrated Rural Development. |
这叫做校园农村综合发展项目。 |
Integrated:adj.综合的; v.整合; (integrate的过去式和过去分词) Rural:adj.农村的,乡下的;田园的,有乡村风味的;
|
And it's a center, a focal point for economic and social development. |
对于经济社会发展而言, 这是一个中心任务。 |
focal point:n.集中点;活动中心; economic:adj.经济的,经济上的;经济学的;
|
Re-do the school, make it serve the community needs. |
对学校进行改革, 让它为社区服务。 |
And here is a bamboo building -- all of them are bamboo. |
这是一个竹制建筑, 所有建筑都是竹子做的。 |
This is a geodesic dome made of bamboo. |
这是一个竹制网格穹顶。 |
geodesic dome:n.短程线穹顶;
|
And I'm sure Buckminster Fuller would be very, very proud to see a bamboo geodesic dome. |
我想信Buckminster Fuller(美国著名建筑设计师) 要是看到这个竹制穹顶,肯定非常骄傲。 |
And we use vegetables around the school ground, so they raise their own vegetables. |
我们把学校周围的土地用做菜地, 人们可以自己种菜。 |
And then, finally, I firmly believe, if we want the MDGs to work -- the Millennium Development Goals -- we need to add family planning to it. |
最后,我深信, 如果我们希望实现MDG 也就是千年发展目标(Millennium Development Goals) -- 我们就需要把计划生育提上日程。 |
Millennium:n.千年期,千禧年;一千年,千年纪念;太平盛世,黄金时代;
|
Of course, child mortality first and then family planning -- everyone needs family planning service -- it's underutilized. |
当然,先解决婴儿死亡率问题,接着实行计划生育。 每个人都应该为计划生育尽一份力。 计划生育任重道远。 |
So we have now found the weapon of mass protection. |
我们现在有了大规模保护性武器。 |
And we also ask the next Olympics to be involved in saving lives. |
我们也请求下一届奥林匹克运动会 能够参与拯救生命的伟业中。 |
And then, finally, that is our network. |
最后,这是我们的官方网站。 |
And these are our Thai tulips . |
这些是泰国“郁金香”。 |
tulips:n.[园艺]郁金香(tulip的复数形式);
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
Thank you very much indeed. |
非常感谢大家。 |
(Applause) |
(热烈掌声) |