|
|
MazJobrani_2010G-_你听过一个伊朗裔美国人的幽默吗_
|
I was one of the founding members of the Axis of Evil Comedy Tour. |
我是邪恶轴心喜剧团 的创始成员之一。 |
Axis of Evil:邪恶轴心; Comedy:n.喜剧;喜剧性;有趣的事情;
|
The other founding members included Ahmed Ahmed, who is an Egyptian-American, who actually had the idea to go to the Middle East and try it out. |
其他的创始成员包括 一个埃及裔美国人艾哈迈德·艾哈迈德, 他有了这个喜剧团想法就来到中东进行创作。 |
Middle East:n.中东(包括亚洲西南部和非洲东北部);
|
Before we went out as a tour, he went out solo and did it first. |
在我们开始喜剧团巡回演出前, 艾哈迈德首当其冲地进行个人表演。 |
solo:n.独奏; adj.独奏的; v.单人攀登; v.单独地;
|
Then there was Aron Kader, who was the Palestinian-American. |
接下来是巴勒斯坦裔美国人阿隆·卡德尔, |
And then there was me, the Iranian-American of the group. |
还有我,这团队里的伊朗裔美国人。 |
Now, being Iranian-American presents its own set of problems, as you know. |
现在,就如大家所知,作为伊朗裔美国人 我内心有很多矛盾。 |
Those two countries aren't getting along these days. |
这两个国家最近关系不好。 |
So it causes a lot of inner conflict , you know, like part of me likes me, part of me hates me. |
这就造成我很多内心冲突, 比如我有时喜欢我自己,有时又恨我自己的一部分。 |
inner:n.内部;射中接近靶心部分的一发;adj.里面的;向内的;内部的;接近中心的; conflict:n.冲突;矛盾;争执;抵触;v.抵触;
|
Part of me thinks I should have a nuclear program, the other part thinks I can't be trusted with one. |
我自身一部分认为伊朗有核计划, 另一部分又认为美国不可信。 |
nuclear:adj.原子能的;[细胞]细胞核的;中心的;原子核的;
|
These are dilemmas I have every day. |
每天我都会有这些困境。 |
dilemmas:n.困境(dilemma的复数);
|
But I was born in Iran; I'm now an American citizen, which means I have the American passport, which means I can travel. |
但是我出生在伊朗,现在是美国公民, 这意味着我持有美国护照, 可以旅游。 |
Because if you only have the Iranian passport, you're kind of limited to the countries you can go to with open arms, you know -- |
假如你仅持有伊朗的护照, 有限的国家会 热烈欢迎你,比如 |
Iranian:adj.伊朗的;伊朗人的;伊朗语的;n.伊朗人;伊朗语; limited:adj.有限的; n.高级快车; v.限制; (limit的过去分词和过去式)
|
Syria , Venezuela , North Korea. |
叙利亚,委内瑞拉和朝鲜。 |
Syria:n.叙利亚共和国; Venezuela:n.委内瑞拉;
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
So anyone who's gotten their passport in America will tell you, when you get your passport, it still says what country you were born in. |
所以在美国持有护照的人会知道, 在你的护照上 还标有你的出生国。 |
So I remember getting my American passport. |
所以我记得我拿到美国护照时, |
I was like, "Woohoo! I'm going to travel." |
我有点兴奋,“哇噢,我可以去旅游了。” |
And I opened it up, it said, "Born in Iran." I'm like, "Oh, come on, man." |
但我一打开看,护照上写“出生地伊朗”。我很失意“哦,不会吧这都写,山姆大叔。” |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
'"I'm trying to go places." |
“我还想去很多地方呢。” |
But what's interesting is, I've never had trouble traveling in any other Western countries with my American passport, even though it says, "Born in Iran." No problems. |
但有意思的是持有美国护照在任何西方国家旅游,我从来没有遇到 任何麻烦, 尽管有“出生地伊朗”没问题。 |
Where I've had some problems is some of the Arab countries, because I guess some of the Arab countries aren't getting along with Iran either. |
相反在阿拉伯的一些国家遇到麻烦, 我猜是因为阿拉伯的一些国家也没和伊朗打好关系。 |
And so I was in Kuwait recently , doing a comedy show with some other American comedians . |
最近我和其他一些美国同事在科威特 做喜剧演出。 |
recently:adv.最近;新近; comedians:n.滑稽演员;喜剧演员;(comedian的复数)
|
They all went through, and then the border patrol saw my American passport. |
他们都通关了,然后边境巡逻看着我的美国护照。 |
patrol:n.巡逻;巡逻队;侦察队;vt.巡逻;巡查;vi.巡逻;巡查;
|
'"Ah ha! American, great." |
“啊哈,美国人,对吧。” |
Then he opened it up. "Born in Iran? Wait." |
然后他打开护照。“出生地伊朗? 等等。” |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
And he started asking me questions. |
然后他开始盘查我一些问题。 |
He said, "What is your father's name?" |
他说:“你父亲叫什么?” |
I said, "Well, he's passed away, but his name was Khosro." |
我说:“噢,他已经去世了,他叫胡萨罗。” |
He goes, "What is your grandfather's name?" |
他继续说:“你祖父叫什么?” |
I said, "He passed away a long time ago. |
我说:“他也去世很久了, |
His name was Jabbar." |
他叫贾巴。” |
He says, "You wait. I'll be back," and he walked away. |
他说:“你等等,我快去快回,”他走之后。 |
And I started freaking out, because I don't know what kind of crap my grandfather was into. |
我开始害怕起来, 因为我不晓得我祖父曾干过什么破烂事。 |
freaking:adj.该死的,他妈的;v.(使)强烈反应,畏惧;(freak的现在分词) crap:n.废话;废物;屎;拉屎;vi.掷骰子;拉屎;
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
Thought the guy was going to come back and be like, "We've been looking for you for 200 years." |
设想那个人回来后会说, “我们通缉你有200年了。” |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
'"Your grandfather has a parking violation . It's way overdue . |
“你祖父曾经违规停车,这是过期罚款单。 |
violation:n.违反;妨碍,侵害;违背;强奸; overdue:adj.过期的;迟到的;未兑的;
|
You owe us two billion dollars." |
你欠我们二十亿美元。” |
owe:v.归功于;欠(债);欠(账);欠(情)
|
But as you can see , when I talk, |
大家可以看出, |
as you can see:正如你所看到的;你是知道的;
|
I speak with an American accent , which you would think as an Iranian-American actor, |
我讲话的口音是美国口音,你就会理所当然地认为, 作为一名伊朗裔美国演员, |
accent:n.口音;重音;强调;特点;重音符号;v.强调;重读;带…口音讲话;
|
I should be able to play any part, good, bad, what have you. |
我应该能胜任任何角色,正面角色,反面角色,随心所欲。 |
But a lot of times in Hollywood, when casting directors find out you're of Middle Eastern descent , they go, "Oh, you're Iranian. Great. |
但是许多次在好莱坞, 当选角导演知道我是中东后裔, 他们说,“哦,你是伊朗人,好极了。 |
Eastern:adj.东方的;向东的;东部的;东方国家的;n.东方人;东正教信徒; descent:n.下降;血统;袭击;vt.除去…的气味;使…失去香味;
|
Can you say 'I will kill you in the name of Allah ?'" |
你能说台词‘以真主阿拉的名义我要杀死你’?” |
in the name of:以…的名义; Allah:n.真主;阿拉;
|
'"I could say that, but what if I were to say, 'Hello. I'm your doctor?'" |
“我可以说这句台词,但假若我说, ‘你好,我是你的医生’呢?” |
what if:如果…怎么办?
|
They go, "Great. And then you hijack the hospital." |
他们说,“那好吧,然后你劫持医院。” |
hijack:v.抢劫;揩油;拦路抢劫;n.劫持;威逼;敲诈;
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
Like I think you're missing the point here. |
我认为大家没完全理解我这的用意。 |
Don't get me wrong, I don't mind playing bad guys. |
请别误解我,我不介意扮演反面角色。 |
I want to play a bad guy. I want to rob a bank. |
我也想扮演反面角色。我想抢劫银行。 |
I want to rob a bank in a film. I want to rob a bank in a film, but do it with a gun, with a gun, not with a bomb strapped around me, right. |
在一部电影里我想抢劫银行, 但我要带枪,而不是把炸弹绑在我身上。 |
strapped:adj.缺钱的; v.用带子系; (strap的过去分词和过去式)
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
Because I imagine the director: "Maz, I think your character would rob the bank with a bomb around him." |
因为我设想导演用意,“马兹,我认为你是一个 在身上绑着炸药的抢劫犯角色。” |
'"Why would I do that? |
“我为什么要那样做? |
If I want the money, why would I kill myself?" |
如果我想要钱,为什么我要送自己上西天?” |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
Right. |
对吧。 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
'" Gimme all your money, or I'll blow myself up." |
“掏出你们所有的钱,要不我就炸飞自己。” |
Gimme:轻而易举的事;给我;
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
'"Well, then blow yourself up. |
“好吧,那你就去炸吧。 |
Just do it outside, please." |
不过请在外面引爆。” |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
But the fact is, there's good people everywhere. |
但事实是,全世界都有好人。 |
That's what I try and show in my stand-up . There's good people everywhere. |
这也是我们喜剧团要展示的内容。全世界哪儿都有好人坏人, |
stand-up:起立
|
All it takes in one person to mess it up. |
只是一粒老鼠屎坏了一锅粥。 |
mess:n.混乱;餐厅;杂乱;肮脏;v.使不整洁;弄脏;弄乱;随地便溺;
|
Like a couple months ago in Times Square in New York, there was this Pakistani Muslim guy who tried to blow up a car bomb. |
就如一两个月前在纽约时代广场, 有个巴基斯坦穆斯林男子试图自我引爆炸毁一个汽车。 |
Pakistani:adj.巴基斯坦的;n.巴基斯坦人;
|
Now, I happened to be in Times Square that night doing a comedy show. |
当天晚上我也正好在时代广场 做喜剧秀。 |
And a few months before that, there was a white American guy in Austin, Texas who flew his airplane into the IRS building, and I happened to be in Austin that day doing a stand-up comedy show. |
在此之前几个月,得克萨斯州奥斯汀市的一个美国白种人 开飞机撞美国国税局大楼, 我那一天也碰巧在奥斯汀 做脱口秀喜剧演出。 |
airplane:n.飞机;
|
Now I'll tell you, as a Middle Eastern male, when you show up around a lot of these activities, you start feeling guilty at one point. |
我告诉大家,作为一个中东裔的男人, 当你老在这一类活动旁出现, 你某种程度上开始感到有罪。 |
guilty:adj.有罪的;内疚的;
|
I was watching the news. I'm like, "Am I involved in this crap?" |
我看着这些消息,我有种罪恶感觉,“是不是我也参与进了这种破烂事?” |
involved:adj.有关的; v.涉及; (involve的过去式和过去分词)
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
'"I didn't get the memo . What's going on?" |
“我没有收到犯罪备案。怎么回事啊?” |
memo:n.备忘录;
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
But what was interesting was, the Pakistani Muslim guy -- see he gives a bad name to Muslims and Middle Easterners and Pakistanis from all over the world. |
但有意思的是,巴基斯坦穆斯林男子的行为 搞坏了全球穆斯林信徒的名声, 以及所有中东国家的人们和所有巴基斯坦人的名声。 |
Easterners:n.东方人;居住在东部或东方的人;
|
And one thing that happened there was also the Pakistani Taliban took credit for that failed car bombing. |
接下来是巴基斯坦塔利班组织 宣布对那场失败的汽车炸弹事件负责。 |
Taliban:塔利班;
|
My question is: why would you take credit for a failed car bombing? |
我的疑问是:为什么你要对 一场失败的汽车炸弹事件负责? |
'"We just wanted to say we tried." |
“我们只是想说, 我们尽心尝试过了。” |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
'"And furthermore , it is the thought that counts." |
“而且, 意思意思就行了。” |
furthermore:adv.此外;而且;
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
'"And in conclusion , win some, lose some." |
“而在最后,有得也有失。(没炸成反而坏了名声。)” |
in conclusion:总之;最后;
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
But what happened was, when the white guy flew his plane into the building, |
但当一个白人开飞机撞向国税局大楼时, |
I know all my Middle Eastern and Muslim friends in the States were watching TV, going, "Please, don't be Middle Eastern. |
我知道所有我在美国的中东和穆斯林朋友们 边看着电视,边期待,“请不要是中东人。 |
Don't be Hassan. Don't be Hussein." |
不是哈桑,不是侯赛因。” |
And the name came out Jack. I'm like, "Woooo! |
当名字出来时是杰克,我有种如释重负,“呜啊! |
That's not one of us." |
他不是我们中的一员。 |
But I kept watching the news in case they came back, they were like, "Before he did it, he converted to Islam." |
但我继续看新闻,以防有新消息, 比如“在他做这事之前,他已改变信仰成为伊斯兰教徒。” |
converted:adj.修改的;改变信仰的;v.转变;改变信仰(convert的过去式和过去分词形式);
|
'" Damn it! Why Jack? Why?" |
“可恶,为什么杰克?为什么?” |
Damn:v.谴责;该死;n.诅咒;adj.可恶的;
|
But the fact is, I've been lucky to get a chance to perform all over the world, and I did a lot of shows in the Middle East. |
但事实是,我一直很荣幸地有机会 在世界各地进行表演。 我在中东也有很多表演。 |
perform:v.表演;执行;履行;演出;工作,运转(好/不好);
|
I just did a seven-country solo tour. |
我刚做完一个七个国家的个人秀演出。 |
I was in Oman, and I was in Saudi Arabia . |
我在阿曼,沙特阿拉伯, |
Saudi:adj.沙乌地阿拉伯(人或语)的;n.沙乌地阿拉伯人; Arabia:n.阿拉伯半岛(亚洲西南部,等于ArabianPeninsula);
|
I was in Dubai . |
在迪拜表演。 |
Dubai:n.迪拜(阿拉伯联合酋长国的酋长国之一);
|
And it's great, there's good people everywhere. |
到处我都见到好人,这真是太棒了。 |
And you learn great things about these places. |
关于这些不同的地方,大家能学到很多东西。 |
I encourage people always to go visit these places. |
我鼓励人们常去参观这些地方。 |
For example, Dubai -- cool place. |
例如迪拜,非常酷的地方。 |
They're obsessed with having the biggest, tallest, longest, as we all know. |
正如大家所知,那里痴迷于最大的,最高的,最长的等等。 |
obsessed:v.使痴迷;使迷恋;使着迷;(obsess的过去式和过去分词)
|
They have a mall there, the Dubai Mall. |
那里有个迪拜购物中心。 |
It is so big, they have taxis in the mall. |
它是如此之大,在迪拜购物中心竟然还有的士。 |
I was walking. I heard "Beep, beep." |
我正走着,听到“嘟嘟声”。 |
I'm like, "What are you doing here?" |
我想“的士怎么跑到这来了?” |
He goes, "I'm going to the Zara store. It's three miles away. |
他说,“我要去Zara精品店,有3英里远。 |
Out of my way. Out of my way. Out of my way." |
让开,让开,别挡我。” |
And what's crazy -- there's a recession going on, even in Dubai, but you wouldn't know by the prices. |
最惊奇的是甚至在迪拜经济不景气的时候, 你从物价上还是看不出来。 |
recession:n.经济衰退;经济萎缩;退后;撤回;
|
Like in the Dubai Mall, they sell frozen yogurt by the gram. |
在迪拜购物中心, 他们卖以克称量的冷冻酸奶。 |
It's like a drug deal. |
搞得好像毒品交易。 |
I was walking by. The guy goes, " Psst . Habibi, my friend." |
我正走过时,一个男子说,“嗨,嗨,我亲爱的朋友。” |
Psst:int.喂!;为引起人的注意时所发的声音;
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
'"You want some frozen yogurt? |
“你想要一些冷冻酸奶吗? |
Come here. Come here. Come here. |
来这里,请来这里。 |
I have one gram, five gram, 10 gram. How many gram do you want?" |
我有一克,五克,十克的,你想要几克?” |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
I bought five grams. 10 dollars. 10 dollars! I said, "What's in this?" |
我买了五克,十美元。十美元啊! 我说,“这究竟是什么?” |
He's like, "Good stuff , man. Columbian. Top of the line. Top of the line." |
他说,“好东西,先生,产自哥伦比亚。上等货色。绝对好。” |
stuff:n.东西:物品:基本特征:v.填满:装满:标本:
|
The other thing you learn sometimes when you travel to these countries in the Middle East, sometimes in Latin American countries, South American countries -- a lot of times when they build stuff, there's no rules and regulations . |
当你在这些国家, 如中东国家, 拉丁美洲的国家,南美洲的国家旅行,有时你学到一些东西-- 很多他们建筑 没有规则和规章。 |
Latin:adj.拉丁语的;用拉丁语写成的;n.拉丁语; regulations:n.章程;规则;法规;管理,控制;(regulation的复数)
|
For example, I took my two year-old son to the playground at the Dubai Mall. |
例如,我带我2岁的儿子到迪拜购物中心的游乐场。 |
And I've taken my two year-old son to playgrounds all over the United States. |
我也曾带我2岁的儿子到全美的游乐场玩。 |
United:adj.联合的; v.联合,团结; (unite的过去分词和过去式)
|
And when you put your two year-old on a slide in the United States, they put something on the slide to slow the kid down as he comes down the slide. |
在美国你把你2岁儿子放到滑梯, 美国人把滑梯设计得 可以减缓孩子下滑的速度,他就顺着滑梯慢慢下来。 |
Not in the Middle East. |
这不会发生在中东。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
I put my two year-old on the slide; he went frrmrmm! He took off. |
我把2岁儿子放到滑梯,他滋溜一下滑了出去。 |
I went down. I go, "Where's my son?" |
我下去接,我问,“我儿子到哪去了?” |
'"On the third floor, sir. On the third floor." |
“在第三层楼,先生。在第三层。” |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
'"You take a taxi. You go to Zara. Make a left." |
“你要打的,到Zara,再左转。” |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
'"Try the yogurt. It's very good. Little expensive." |
“尝尝冷冻酸奶。它非常棒,一点点贵。” |
But one of the things I try to do with my stand-up is to break stereotypes . |
我在喜剧团要做的事其中之一是打破陈见旧习。 |
stereotypes:n.模式化观念(或形象); v.对…形成模式化(或类型化)的看法; (stereotype的第三人称单数和复数)
|
And I've been guilty of stereotyping as well. |
我也因自己的成见而自责。 |
stereotyping:n.刻板印象;浇版;v.把…浇铸成铅版;使成为陈规(stereotype的现在分词);
|
I was in Dubai. And there's a lot of Indians who work in Dubai. |
我曾在迪拜。在当地有很多印度人打工。 |
And they don't get paid that well. |
他们的待遇很差。 |
And I got it in my head that all the Indians there must be workers. |
在我脑海中,那里的所有印度人必是工人。 |
And I forgot there's obviously successful Indians in Dubai as well. |
我忘记了在迪拜也明显有成功的印度人。 |
I was doing a show, and they said, "We're going to send a driver to pick you up." |
我在做一个节目, 团队说,“我们派人来接送你。” |
So I went down to the lobby , and I saw this Indian guy. |
当我走出大厅,看到一个印度人。 |
lobby:n.大堂;门厅;民众接待厅;游说;v.游说(从政者或政府);
|
I go, "He's got to be my driver." |
我想,“他可能是我的司机。” |
Because he was standing there in like a cheap suit, thin mustache, staring at me. |
因为他穿着便宜的西服站在那儿,留着小胡子,盯着我。 |
staring:adj.凝视的,目不转睛的;显眼的;v.凝视;盯着看;显眼;(stare的现在分词)
|
So I went over, "Excuse me, sir, are you my driver?" |
所以我过去问,“打扰一下,先生,你是我的司机吗?” |
He goes, "No, sir. I own the hotel." |
他回复,“不,先生,我是酒店的主人。” |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
I go, "I'm sorry. Then why were you staring at me?" |
我说,“很抱歉。那么你为什么盯着我?” |
He goes, "I thought you were my driver." |
他说,“我认为你是我的司机。”” |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
I'll leave you guys with this: I try, with my stand-up, to break stereotypes, present Middle Easterners in a positive light -- Muslims in a positive light -- and I hope that in the coming years, |
我给你们大家展示的是:我尽力,以我们的喜剧团表演去打破成见旧习, 从积极正面的角度展示中东人们和穆斯林人们, 我也希望在未来几年, |
positive:adj.积极的;[数]正的,[医][化学]阳性的;确定的;n.正数;[摄]正片;
|
more film and television programs come out of Hollywood presenting us in a positive light. |
更多好莱坞的电影和电视节目 从积极正面角度展现我们中东人和穆斯林人。 |
Who knows, maybe one day we'll even have our own James Bond, right. |
谁晓得呢,说不准哪一天我们也会有我们自己的007詹姆斯.邦德超级特工,对吧。 |
'"My name is Bond, Jamal Bond." |
“我的名字是邦德,贾马勒.邦德。” |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
Til then, I'll keep telling jokes. I hope you keep laughing. |
我会一直讲笑话。我希望大家继续开怀一笑。 |
Have a good day. Thank you. |
祝大家愉快。谢谢。 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |