|
|
MatthewOReilly_2014S-_面对「我快死了吗?」的最诚实回答_
|
I've been a critical care EMT for the past seven years in Suffolk County , New York. |
我在纽约苏福克郡担任重症紧急救护技术员至今七年了。 |
critical:adj.鉴定的;[核]临界的;批评的,爱挑剔的;危险的;决定性的;评论的; Suffolk:n.萨福克(英国东部一郡);萨福克羊;萨克福马; County:n.郡,县;
|
I've been a first responder in a number of incidents ranging from car accidents to Hurricane Sandy. |
我是各种意外的第一线急救员, 从车祸到桑迪颶风都碰过。 |
responder:n.响应器;回答者; Hurricane:n.飓风,暴风;
|
If you are like most people, death might be one of your greatest fears. |
如果你跟大家一样, 死亡大概会是你最怕的事之一。 |
Some of us will see it coming. |
有些人能料到自己将死; |
Some of us won't. |
有些人不行。 |
There is a little-known documented medical term called impending doom . |
有个医学名词鲜为人知, 称为濒临死亡。 |
little-known:鲜为人知的; impending:adj.迫在眉睫的; v.(事件,危险等)逼近; (impend的现在分词) doom:n.厄运;毁灭;劫数;死亡;v.使…注定失败(或遭殃、死亡等);
|
It's almost a symptom . |
那几乎算是种症状。 |
symptom:n.症状;征候;征兆;
|
As a medical provider , I'm trained to respond to this symptom like any other, so when a patient having a heart attack looks at me and says, "I'm going to die today," |
身为医疗人员,训练让我以平常心面对这种症状。 因此当心脏病人看着我说: 「我今天就会死。」 |
provider:n.供应者;养家者; patient:adj.有耐心的,能容忍的;n.病人;患者; heart attack:n.[医]心肌梗塞
|
we are trained to reevaluate the patient's condition. |
训练要我们重新评估病人的情况。 |
reevaluate:vt.再评估;重新估计;vi.再评估;重新估计;
|
Throughout my career , I have responded to a number of incidents where the patient had minutes left to live and there was nothing I could do for them. |
在我的职涯中, 我去过一些意外现场急救, 当中有些病人还有几分钟可以活, 而我却无能为力。 |
Throughout:adv.自始至终,到处;全部;prep.贯穿,遍及; career:n.职业;事业;生涯;经历; responded:v.回答,回应;作出反应;响应;反应灵敏;(respond的过去式和过去分词)
|
With this, I was faced with a dilemma : |
因此我常面对进退两难的问题: |
dilemma:n.困境;进退两难;两刀论法;
|
Do I tell the dying that they are about to face death, or do I lie to them to comfort them? |
我要告诉临终病患,他们快死了吗? 还是我应该说谎来安抚他们? |
are about to:眼看就要;即将;正要;行将;
|
Early in my career, I faced this dilemma by simply lying. |
我还是菜鸟时, 碰到这种问题只会说谎。 |
I was afraid. |
当时我很害怕。 |
I was afraid if I told them the truth, that they would die in terror, in fear, just grasping for those last moments of life. |
我害怕如果我说了实话, 他们就会在害怕和恐惧中死去, 只能紧抓生命的最后时刻。 |
grasping:adj.贪婪的;紧紧抓住的;v.理解,领会;抓紧,抓牢;(grasp的现在分词形式)
|
That all changed with one incident. |
一场事件改变了我的观点。 |
Five years ago, I responded to a motorcycle accident. |
五年前,我到摩托车意外现场急救。 |
The rider had suffered critical, critical injuries . |
骑士受的伤非常严重。 |
rider:n.骑手;附文;扶手; injuries:n.伤害,损伤;挫伤;(injury的复数)
|
As I assessed him, I realized that there was nothing that could be done for him, and like so many other cases, he looked me in the eye and asked that question: "Am I going to die?" |
我评估他的伤势, 发现完全束手无策, 就像许多伤患一样, 他看着我的双眼问那个问题: |
assessed:v.对…进行评估(assess过去时形式);
|
In that moment, I decided to do something different. |
在那当下 ,我决定改变作法。 |
I decided to tell him the truth. |
我决定告诉他实情。 |
I decided to tell him that he was going to die and that there was nothing I could do for him. |
我决定告诉他,他快死了, 而且我完全无能为力。 |
His reaction shocked me to this day . |
他的反应至今仍让我震惊。 |
reaction:n.反应,感应;反动,复古;反作用; to this day:至今;
|
He simply laid back and had a look of acceptance on his face. |
他只是躺在那, 脸上露出接受的表情。 |
laid back:adj.懒散的;悠闲的;闲散的; acceptance:n.验收;接受;认可;承认;
|
He was not met with that terror or fear that I thought he would be. |
他没有面临我想像中 那样的恐惧和害怕。 |
He simply laid there, and as I looked into his eyes, |
他只是躺在那里, |
I saw inner peace and acceptance. |
我在他的眼里看见 |
inner:n.内部;射中接近靶心部分的一发;adj.里面的;向内的;内部的;接近中心的;
|
From that moment forward, I decided it was not my place to comfort the dying with my lies. |
从那个时刻开始, 我决定自己没有立场用谎言安抚垂死的人。 |
Having responded to many cases since then where patients were in their last moments and there was nothing I could do for them, in almost every case, they have all had the same reaction to the truth, of inner peace and acceptance. |
自此之后,我回覆许多临终病患, 我无法幫他们做任何事, 我无法幫他们做任何事, 几乎每一位病患 面对实话的反应都一样, 接受,以及内心的平静。 |
patients:n.接受治疗者,病人;(patient的复数)
|
In fact, there are three patterns |
其实我在所有案例中 |
I have observed in all these cases. |
观察到三种模式。 |
observed:adj.观察的;观测的;v.观察;遵守;注意到(observe的过去分词形式);
|
The first pattern always kind of shocked me. |
第一种总会让我吃惊。 |
Regardless of religious belief or cultural background, there's a need for forgiveness . |
不论哪种宗教信仰或是文化背景, 他们都需要饒恕。 |
Regardless:adj.不管的; v.不顾后果地; religious:adj.宗教的;虔诚的;严谨的;修道的;n.修道士;尼姑; cultural:adj.与文化有关的;文化的;与艺术、文学、音乐等有关的; forgiveness:n.宽恕;原谅;宽宏大量
|
Whether they call it sin or they simply say they have a regret, their guilt is universal . |
不管他们自认犯了罪 或只是有个遗憾, 他们全都感到内疚。 |
sin:n.罪恶;罪行;过错;过失;恶行;v.犯戒律;犯过失; universal:adj.普遍的;全体的;全世界的;共同的;
|
I had once cared for an elderly gentleman who was having a massive heart attack. |
我照顾过一位年长绅士, 他的心脏病发,非常严重。 |
elderly:adj.上了年纪的;过了中年的;稍老的; massive:adj.大量的;巨大的,厚重的;魁伟的;
|
As I prepared myself and my equipment for his imminent cardiac arrest, |
我做好心理准备,打点好器材, 因为他的心跳就快停止了。 |
imminent:adj.即将来临的;迫近的; cardiac:n.强心剂;强胃剂;adj.心脏的;心脏病的;贲门的;
|
I began to tell the patient of his imminent demise . |
我开始告诉他,死亡即将降临。 |
demise:n.死亡,终止;转让;传位;vt.遗赠;禅让;
|
He already knew by my tone of voice and body language . |
他从我的声调和动作中已经预知了这件事。 |
tone:n.语气:风格:特色:声音信号:v.使更结实:与…协调: body language:n.身势语;
|
As I placed the defibrillator pads on his chest, prepping for what was going to happen, he looked me in the eye and said, "I wish I had spent more time with my children and grandchildren instead of being selfish with my time." |
我把电击器放在他胸前, 准备好面对即将发生的事。 他直视着我的双眼说: 「我好希望过去能多花点时间陪陪儿孙, 而不是自私地享受独处时光。」 |
defibrillator:n.除颤器(通过电击心脏控制心肌运动); pads:n.软垫,护垫; v.填充,覆盖,保护; (pad的第三人称单数和复数) prepping:v.把…准备好;预备;为(患者)做手术准备;(prep的现在分词)
|
Faced with imminent death, all he wanted was forgiveness. |
面对即将来临的死亡, 他只想要得到原谅。 |
The second pattern I observe is the need for remembrance . |
我观察到的第二种模式 就是被缅怀的需要。 |
remembrance:n.回想,回忆;纪念品;记忆力;
|
Whether it was to be remembered in my thoughts or their loved ones', they needed to feel that they would be living on. |
不论是在我或是 他的爱人记忆中被缅怀。 他们都需要感到生命能延续。 |
There's a need for immortality within the hearts and thoughts of their loved ones, myself, my crew, or anyone around. |
他们需要永恒不朽地 存在爱人的心里和脑海中, 或是在我、同仁或任何人的心上。 |
immortality:n.不朽;不朽的声名;不灭;
|
Countless times, I have had a patient look me in the eyes and say, "Will you remember me?" |
有无数次,病人看着我的双眼问: 你会记得我吗?」 |
Countless:adj.无数的;数不尽的;
|
The final pattern I observe always touched me the deepest, to the soul. |
我观察到的最后一种模式 总会触动我的内心深处,触动我的灵魂。 |
The dying need to know that their life had meaning. |
他们渴望知道自己的生命有意义。 |
They need to know that they did not waste their life on meaningless tasks. |
他们需要知道自己没有浪费生命 在无意义的事情上。 |
This came to me very, very early in my career. |
这种情况在我入行没多久就出现了。 |
I had responded to a call. |
我曾接过一个急救任务, |
There was a female in her late 50s severely pinned within a vehicle . |
有位快 60 岁的女性, 被卡在车里动弹不得。 |
female:adj.女性的;雌性的;柔弱的,柔和的;n.女人;[动]雌性动物; severely:adv.严重地;严格地,严厉地;纯朴地; pinned:v.固定;使不能动弹;按住;钳住;(pin的过去分词和过去式) vehicle:n.[车辆]车辆;工具;交通工具;运载工具;传播媒介;媒介物;
|
She had been t-boned at a high rate of speed, critical, critical condition. |
她的车子从侧边被高速撞上, 情况非常危急。 |
As the fire department worked to remove her from the car, |
消防队要从车子里救出她的同时, |
fire department:n.消防部门:消防队员:消防队:
|
I climbed in to begin to render care. |
我爬进去开始急救。 |
render:v.提供;给予;提交;翻译;n.粉刷;[建](墙壁的)初涂;抹灰;精制油;
|
As we talked, she had said to me, "There was so much more I wanted to do with my life." |
我们对话时,她对我说: 「我这辈子还有好多事情想做。」 |
She had felt she had not left her mark on this Earth. |
她觉得还没在这世上留下印记。 |
As we talked further, it would turn out that she was a mother of two adopted children who were both on their way to medical school. |
我们谈得更深入后, 我才知道她领养了两个小孩, 而且他们都准备要念医学院。 |
adopted:adj.被收养的;被采用的;v.采用;接受;(adopt的过去式和过去分词);
|
Because of her, two children had a chance they never would have had otherwise and would go on to save lives in the medical field as medical doctors. |
因为她,这两个小孩 拥有本来不可能得到的机会。 而且还能从医,拯救许多生命, |
It would end up taking 45 minutes to free her from the vehicle. |
结果花了 45 分钟, 才将她从车子里救出来。 |
However, she perished prior to freeing her. |
但是她在那之前就已经死了。 |
perished:adj.极冷;v.死亡;暴死;丧失;毁灭;老化;(perish的过去分词和过去式) prior:adj.先前的; n.(小隐修院)院长; v.居先;
|
I believed what you saw in the movies: when you're in those last moments that it's strictly terror, fear. |
我过去相信电影上演的: 你在临终前 会感到非常恐惧、 害怕。 |
I have come to realize, regardless of the circumstance , it's generally met with peace and acceptance, that it's the littlest things, the littlest moments, the littlest things you brought into the world that give you peace in those final moments. |
后来我才了解,不论在什么情况下, 通常都会变得平静也能接受。 是最微不足道的那些事、那些时刻, 你带到世上最微不足道的那些事, 让你在临终时刻得到平静。 |
circumstance:n.环境,情况;事件;境遇; generally:adv.通常;普遍地,一般地;
|
Thank you. |
谢谢。 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |