返回首页

MatthewChilds_2009U-_从攀岩中体会到的9个生命感悟_

It's pretty simple. There are nine, sort of, rules that I discovered after 35 years of rock climbing . 这十分简单。这有9条,大概九条,规则 这都是我从35年来攀岩的经验中得来的。
rock climbing:n.攀登岩壁;爬岩术;
Most of them are pretty basic. 他们的大多数都十分基础。
Number one: Don't let go -- very sure success method. 第一条:不要放弃 -- 这是成功的不二法则。
But really, truly -- often you think about letting go way before your body does. 但是真的,事实是 -- 你经常会 在你身体要你放弃前,自己考虑放弃。
So hang in there , and you come up with some pretty peculiar solutions. 所以撑着点, 而且你会得到一些十分独特解决方法。
hang in there:坚持下去; come up with:提出;想出;赶上; peculiar:adj.特殊的;独特的;奇怪的;罕见的;n.特权;特有财产;
Number two: Hesitation is bad. 第二点:别犹豫
Hesitation:n.犹豫;
This is a friction climb, up in Tuolumne Meadows , in the Yosemite high country. 这是一个摩擦攀岩,在图奥勒米迈德斯上, 在约塞米蒂。
friction:n.摩擦,[力]摩擦力; Meadows:n.[畜牧]草地;[地理]草甸(meadow的复数); Yosemite:n.约塞米蒂国家公园(位于美国加利福尼亚州中部);
Friction climbing doesn't have any sort of hard positive edges. 摩擦攀岩没有任何好爬的地方。
positive:adj.积极的;[数]正的,[医][化学]阳性的;确定的;n.正数;[摄]正片;
You're climbing on little dimples and nubbins in the rock. 你就是在岩石的小坑小点上攀岩。
dimples:n.酒窝; v.现出酒窝; nubbins:n.小瘤;小片;要点;玉蜀黍发育不良的穗;
The most friction you have is when you first put your hand or your foot on the rock. 你拥有的最大摩擦就是当你第一次把你的手 或脚放在岩石上。
And then from that point on, you're basically falling. 从那时候开始,你基本上就是在往下滑了。
basically:adv.主要地,基本上;
So momentum is good. Don't stop. 所以冲劲是好的。别停下。
momentum:n.势头;[物]动量;动力;冲力;
Rule number three: Have a plan. 第三条:做个计划。
This is a climb called the Naked Edge, in El Dorado Canyon , outside of Boulder . 这是一个叫做裸体边缘的攀岩, 在埃尔多拉多峡谷,博尔德之外。
Naked:adj.裸体的;无装饰的;无证据的;直率的; Dorado:n.剑鱼; Canyon:n.(周围有悬崖峭壁的)峡谷;( Boulder:n.卵石,大圆石;巨砾;
This climber is on the last pitch of it. 这位攀岩者只剩最后一步了。
pitch:v.抛:用力扔:针对:触地:n.场地:程度:力度:推销的话:纵摇:
He's actually right about where I fell. 实际上他就在我要掉下去的地方。
There is about 1,000 feet of air below him. 他下面大概有1000英尺的空气。
And all the hard pitches are actually below him. 而且所有的好的攀岩点都在他的下面。
pitches:pitch的变形;
Often what happens is you're planning so hard for like, "How do I get through the hardest part? How do I get through the hardest part?" 所以,经常发生的是 你在为这样的事情准备得十分完善, “我如何才能通过最难的地方?我如何才能通过最难的地方?”
And then what happens? 但是通过了后又怎么样呢?
You get to the last pitch. It's easy. 你通过了最后一步,这不难。
And you're completely flamed out. Don't do it. 然后你完全就松懈了,不要这样做。
You have to plan ahead to get to the top. 你必须要计划登顶。
But you also can't forget that each individual move you have to be able to complete. 但是你不能忘记每一小步 你必须完成的每一步。
individual:n.个人;有个性的人;adj.单独的;个别的;
This is a climb called the Dike Route , on Peyrat Dome , up in the Yosemite high country. 这是一个被叫做堤防之路的攀岩, 在佩拉圆顶上,在约塞米蒂。
Dike:n.堤防,堤坝;障碍物;(英)壕沟;vt.筑堤防护;开沟排水(等于dyke); Route:n.路线;路途;固定线路;途径;v.按某路线发送; Dome:n.圆屋顶;vi.成圆顶状;vt.加圆屋顶于…上;
The interesting thing about this climb is it's not that hard. 关于这次攀爬,有趣的是它不难。
But if you're the leader on it, at the hardest move, you're looking at about 100 foot fall, onto some low angle slabs . 但是如果你是领队, 在最难的一步,你会看到100英尺的落体, 掉到一些低角度的岩板上。
slabs:n.[木]平板; v.把…切成厚片;
So you've got to focus. 所以,你必须集中注意力。
You don't want to stop in the middle like 你不想像柯勒律治的忽必烈卡恩一样
Coleridge's Kubla Kahn. 在中间停了下来。
You've got to keep going. 你必须不停前进。
Rule number five: Know how to rest. 第5条,知道如何休息。
It's amazing. The best climbers are the ones that in the most extreme situations can get their bodies into some position where they can rest, regroup , calm themselves, focus, and keep going. 这很奇妙,最好的攀岩者们 是那些即使在一些极端的情况下 仍然能把身体调整到某个姿势 从而可以休息的人, 重组,放松,集中, 然后继续。
climbers:n.登山者(climber的复数);[植]攀缘植物;脚扣; extreme:adj.极端的;极度的;偏激的;尽头的;n.极端;末端;最大程度;极端的事物; regroup:vi.重新组合;重新编组;vt.重组;重新部署;
This is a climb in the Needles , again in California. 这是尼德尔斯,又在加利福尼亚。
Needles:n.针数,千针本;[印刷]折页顶针(needle复数形式);
Fear really sucks because what it means is you're not focusing on what you're doing. 恐惧很糟糕,因为它意味着 你不能专注于你在做的事情。
sucks:v.吮吸;吸;咂;啜;抽吸;抽取;(suck的第三人称单数)
You're focusing on the consequences of failing at what you're doing because any given move should require all your concentration and thought processes to execute it effectively. 你关注的是 失败的后果 因为所有的动作都要求 你的全神贯注,然后在整个攀岩过程中 去有效的执行它们。
consequences:n.后果,结果;影响(consequence的复数); concentration:n.浓度;含量;集中;专心; processes:n.过程; v.处理(process的第三人称单数形式); execute:vt.实行;执行;处死;
One of the things in climbing is, most people sort of take it straight on. And they follow the most obvious solution . 关于攀岩,大多数人 有点太一鼓作气了。然后他们会立刻采用最明显的解决方式。
obvious:adj.明显的;显著的;平淡无奇的; solution:n.解决方案;溶液;溶解;解答;
This is the Devils Tower in Wyoming , which is a columnar basalt formation that most of you probably know from "Close Encouters." 这是在怀俄明州的魔鬼塔, 是由柱状玄武岩形成的, 你们应该在“近距离接触”中看过
Devils:n.魔王;恶魔;调皮鬼(devil的复数) Wyoming:n.美国怀俄明州; columnar:adj.柱状的;圆柱的;分纵栏印刷或书写的; basalt:n.[岩]玄武岩;黑陶器; formation:n.形成;编队;组成;队形;
With this, typically crack climbers would put their hands in and their toes in, and just start climbing. 这样,典型的细缝攀岩者 会把他们的手和脚趾放进去, 然后开始攀岩。
typically:adv.代表性地;作为特色地; crack:v.使破裂;打开;变声;n.裂缝;声变;噼啪声;adj.最好的;高明的; toes:n.脚趾;足尖部;有…脚趾的;v.用脚尖走;(toe的第三人称单数和复数)
The cracks are too small to get your toes into so the only way to climb is using your fingertips in the cracks, and using opposing pressure and forcing yourself up. 那些裂缝太小,以至于你的脚趾进不去, 所以唯一的攀岩方法是用你的手指尖 插进裂缝里, 用反压力 来把你自己推上去。
cracks:n.裂纹; v.破裂; (crack的第三人称单数和复数) fingertips:n.指尖;(fingertip的复数) opposing:adj.对立的; v.反对(计划、政策等); (oppose的现在分词)
Rule number eight: Strength doesn't always equal success. 第8条:力量不等于成功。
In the 35 years I've been a climbing guide and taught on indoor walls, and stuff like that, the most important thing I've learned was, guys will always try to do pull-ups . 35年来,我一直从事攀岩指导的工作, 教授室内攀岩,等等。 我学到的最重要的事情是 小伙子们永远要尝试引体向上。
indoor:adj.(在)室内的;在户内进行的;在室内用的; stuff:n.东西:物品:基本特征:v.填满:装满:标本: pull-ups:n.引体向上;拉起动作;路边小饭馆;
Beginning guys, it's like, they thrash , they thrash , they get 15 feet up. 初学者,就是,他们鞭策自己,鞭策自己, 他们爬到了15英尺。
thrash:v.抽打,连续击打;(使)激烈扭动;彻底击败;n.快节奏重金属摇滚乐;
And they can do about 15 pull-ups right? 然后他们还可以引体向上15个英尺,对吧?
And then they just flame out . 然后他们就会累坏了。
flame out:n.熄灭;(发动机)熄火;疲劳过度;
Women are much more in balance because they don't have that idea that they're going to be able to do 100 pull-ups. 女性则更加善于平衡 因为她们知道 她们做不到100个引体向上。
They think about how to get the weight over their feet because it's sort of natural. They carry you all day long . 她们所想的是如何把重量从脚上移开 因为这是天生的。她们成天的抱着你们。
all day long:"allday"的变体;整天;一整天;终日;
So balance is really critical , and keeping your weight on your feet, which is your strongest muscle . 所以平衡是十分重要的, 以及把你的重量保持在你的脚上, 脚是你最强壮的肌肉。
critical:adj.鉴定的;[核]临界的;批评的,爱挑剔的;危险的;决定性的;评论的; muscle:n.肌肉;力量;v.加强;使劲搬动;使劲挤出;
And of course there is rule number nine. 然后第9条:
I came up with rule number nine after 我在发生了一次意外之后
I actually didn't plan for a fall, and went about 40 feet and cracked a rib . 想到了这第九条。 我从40英尺的地方摔下来,断了根肋骨。
cracked:adj.疯狂;破裂的;有裂纹的;v.破裂;裂开;断裂;(crack的过去分词和过去式) rib:n.肋骨; v.嘲笑;
Once you get to that point where you know it's going to happen, you need to start thinking about how you're going to let go because that is the critical piece of not getting hurt -- how you're going to fall on to the rope, or if you're climbing without a rope, fall to a place where you can actually control the fall. 一旦你到了一个你知道会发生什么的时候, 你必须得开始想,你将如何放弃 因为那是避免受伤 的关键因素 -- 你如何在绳索上摔落, 或者,你不用绳索攀岩, 掉落到一个你可以控制掉落的地方。
So don't hang on till the bitter end. 所以别血战到底。
bitter:adj.苦的; n.苦味; v.激烈地; v.使变苦;
Thank you very much. 谢谢
(Applause) 掌声