返回首页

MattMullenwegWWW_2018V-_为什么在家办公对生意有好处_

The basic problem with working in an office is you're just not in control of your work environment. 在办公室工作最基本的问题是 你根本无法控制你的工作环境。
[The Way We Work] 【我们的工作方式】
Howdy , my name is Matt, and I'm the CEO of Automattic, 大家好,我是马特,是 Automattic的首席执行官,
Howdy:int.您好;
We're coming up on over 800 employees, and they live everywhere, from California to Alabama , Mississippi, to where I live in Texas. 我们在全球各地有超过800位雇员, 从加利福尼亚到亚拉巴马,密西西比, 到我所在的德克萨斯州。
Alabama:n.阿拉巴马州(美国州名);
They're also in 67 countries. 他们也分布在67个国家。
Canada, Mexico, India, New Zealand . 加拿大,墨西哥,印度,新西兰。
Zealand:西兰岛(丹麦最大的岛)
Some of them choose not even to have a home base , they're nomads . 他们中的一些人甚至没有自己的 固定居所,他们是游牧民族。
home base:n.大本营;基地; nomads:n.游牧民,牧游者(nomad的复数形式);流浪者;
Whether they are in RVs or traveling through Airbnbs, they are in new places every day, week or month. 不管他们住在房车中, 还是在旅途中住Airbnbs, 他们每天、每周或每月都在新的地方。
As long as they can find good Wi-Fi , we don't care where they are. 只要能找到网速好的Wi-Fi, 我们不关心他们在哪。
As long as:conj.只要;长达;如果;既然; Wi-Fi:abbr.无线保真技术(wirelessfidelity);无线上网技术;
Our focus on distributed work didn't happen accidentally . 我们以分布式工作为主 可不是什么拍脑门的决定。
distributed:adj.分布的;分散的;v.分发;分配;使分布(distribute的过去分词和过去式) accidentally:adv.意外地:偶然,偶然地;
It was a conscious choice from the very beginning. 我们一开始就是这么计划的。
conscious:adj.意识到的;故意的;神志清醒的;
Notice I don't use the word " remote ," 注意我们没有使用“远程”这个词,
remote:adj.偏远的;偏僻的;遥远的;久远的;
because it sets up the expectation , that some people are essential and some aren't. 因为这建立了预期, 对有些人来说是必要的,有些人则不。
expectation:n.预料;预期;期待;希望;指望; essential:n.要点;要素;实质;必需品;adj.完全必要的;必不可少的;极其重要的;本质的;
I use the word "distributed" to describe what we do, where everyone is on an equal playing field . 我使用“分布式”来描述我们的工作方式, 这里每个人都在平等的工作环境中。
describe:v.描述;形容;把…称为;画出…图形; playing field:n.运动场;操场;
I think a distributed workforce is the most effective way to build a company. 我认为一个分布式的办公场地 是构建公司最高效的方式。
workforce:n.劳动大军;全体员工; effective:adj.有效的,起作用的;实际的,实在的;给人深刻印象;
The key is you have to approach it consciously . 关键是你必须有意识地追寻它。
approach:n.方法;路径;v.接近;建议;着手处理; consciously:adv.自觉地;有意识地;
When we started WordPress, many of the first 20 hires were people I'd never met in person. 当我们创立WordPress时, 我们雇佣的前20个员工中, 大多数我都没见过。
But we'd collaborated online, sometimes for years. 但我们在网上合作过, 有些合作过好多年。
collaborated:v.合作;协作;通敌;勾结敌人;(collaborate的过去分词和过去式)
I wanted to continue that for one simple reason. 我想保持这样的合作 是出于一个简单的原因,
I believe that talent and intelligence are equally distributed throughout the world. 我相信才能和智慧 平均地分布在全世界各地。
intelligence:n.智力;智慧;才智;(尤指关于敌国的)情报; throughout:adv.自始至终,到处;全部;prep.贯穿,遍及;
But opportunity is not. 但机会并不是。
In Silicon Valley , the big tech companies fish from essentially the same small pond or bay. 在硅谷,大型科技公司基本上 从同一个小池塘或海湾捕鱼。
Silicon Valley:n.硅谷(美国加利福尼亚州一处计算机和电子公司聚集地,有时用以指任何计算机公司聚集地); essentially:adv.本质上;本来; pond:n.池塘;水池(尤指人工的);v.把…挖成池塘;堵(溪流)水成池;
A distributed company can fish from the entire ocean. 一家分布式公司可以从整个海洋中捕鱼。
Instead of hiring someone who grew up in Japan but lives in California, you can gain someone who lives, works, wakes up and goes to sleep wherever they are in the world. 与其雇佣一个成长在日本工作在加州的人, 你可以得到一个在世界上任何地方 生活,工作,起床和睡觉的人。
They bring a different understanding of that culture and a different lived experience. 他们带来对本国文化的不同理解 和一种不同的生活体验。
At the base of the decision to go distributed, there's a desire to give people autonomy over how they do their work. 分布式办公的决策基础在于, 给予人们工作自主权的欲望。
autonomy:n.自治,自治权;
Unless you're in a role where specific hours are important, you can make your own schedule . 除非你特定的某个工作时间很重要, 你可以定自己的时间表。
specific:adj.特殊的,特定的;明确的;详细的;[药]具有特效的;n.特性;细节;特效药; schedule:工作计划,日程安排
Everyone can have a corner office, their windows, the food they want to eat, you can choose when there's music and when there's silence. 每个人都可以有一个角落用来办公, 坐在自己喜欢的窗边,吃想吃的食物, 你可以选择啥时候放音乐,啥时候安静。
You can choose what temperature the room should be. 你可以设定房间的温度。
You can save the time you'd spend commuting and put it into things that are important to you. 你还可以节省通勤的时间, 把它用在对你重要的事情上。
commuting:n.乘公交车上下班;经常往来;
A distributed workforce is ideal for a technology company. 分布式办公对于科技公司很理想。
technology:n.技术;工艺;术语;
But people often ask me, "This works great for y'all, but what about everyone else?" 但人们常常问我, “这对你们很适用,但对其他公司合适吗?”
If you have an office, you can do a few things to build distributed capability . 如果你有办公室的话, 你可以做一些事情去建造分布式能力。
capability:n.才能,能力;性能,容量;
First: document everything. 首先:记录一切东西。
In an office, it's easy to make decisions in the moment, in the kitchen, in the hall. 在办公室中,很容易当下就做决定, 在厨房中,在大厅中。
But if people work remotely and some members of the team are having those conversations they don't have access to, they'll see these decisions being made without understanding the why. 但如果有人远程工作, 无法参与一些团队成员 所进行的对话, 他们就会在不了解原因的 情况下看到这些决定。
remotely:adv.遥远地;偏僻地;(程度)极微地,极轻地;
Always leave a trail of where you were and what you were thinking about. 总是留下你在哪里 和你在想什么的痕迹。
trail:v.(被)拖,拉;疲惫地走,磨蹭;落后,失败;n.痕迹;踪迹;小路;路线;
This allows others to pick up where you left off. 当你走开时,其他人也能跟上。
It allows people in different time zones to interact , it's also great to think about as an organization evolves , people leaving and people joining. 它让在不同时区的人也能互动, 随着组织的发展,这也是一个很好的想法, 铁打的军营流水的兵。
interact:v.互相影响;互相作用;n.幕间剧;幕间休息; organization:n.组织;机构;体制;团体; evolves:v.进化,进展(evolve的第三人称单数形式);
Try to have as much communication as possible online. 要在网上留下尽可能多的信息。
When everything's shared and public, it allows new people to catch up quickly. 当一切信息都被分享和公开时, 可以让新人很快追上。
You also need to find the right tools. 你也需要找到合适的工具。
There are so many apps and services that help with day-to-day communication, video conferencing , project management . 有很多的应用和服务 可以辅助日常沟通, 视频会议和项目管理。
day-to-day:adj.日常的;逐日的; conferencing:n.会议技术;v.开会(conference的现在分词); management:n.管理;管理人员;管理部门;操纵;经营手段;
The things that changed how you work probably aren't objects anymore. 改变你工作方式的可能不是实物了。
They're things you access through your computer. 他们是你可以通过电脑获得的东西。
So experiment with different tools that enable collaboration , see what works. 所以要去尝试用来增强协作的不同工具, 看看什么有效。
enable:v.使能够;使有机会;使成为可能;使可行; collaboration:n.合作;勾结;通敌;
Create productive , face-to-face time. 创造富有成效的面对面的时间。
productive:adj.能生产的;生产的,生产性的;多产的;富有成效的; face-to-face:adj.面对面的;当面的;adv.面对面地;
In a traditional office, you're in the same place 48 weeks out of the year and you might have three or four weeks apart. 在传统办公场所, 一年中有48周你都在同一个地方, 可能3或4周的时间在外面。
traditional:传统的,惯例的,
We try to flip that: we come together for short, intense bursts . 我们试图扭转这一切: 我们会举行短期的聚会。
flip:n.浏览;空翻;轻抛;捻掷;v.迅速翻动;按(开关);按(按钮);开(或关)(机器等); intense:adj.强烈的;紧张的;非常的;热情的; bursts:[天]爆发;破裂(burst的第三人称单数);
Once a year we do a grand meet-up where the entire company comes together for a week. 每年我们开一次盛大的聚会, 整个公司的人用一周的时间欢聚一堂。
It's half-work, half-play. 这一半是工作,一半是社交。
The primary goal is connecting people. 主要的目的是让人们彼此熟络。
We want to make sure everyone's aligned and on the same page , and they have a deeper connection with their colleagues . 我们要确保每个人的信息都是对等的, 并且与同事有更密切的联系。
aligned:adj.对齐的;均衡的;v.结盟(align的过去式);使成一直线; on the same page:在同一页上;进度相同;达成共识; colleagues:n.同事;同行(colleague的复数);
When they work together the rest of the year, they can bring together that understanding and empathy . 当他们在一年中的其他时间一起工作时, 依然可以怀揣着理解和同理心。
empathy:n.神入;移情作用;执着;
And the final practice: give people the flexibility to make their own work environment. 还有最后一个实践: 帮助人们灵活地打造自己的工作环境。
flexibility:n.灵活性;弹性;适应性;
Every person at Automattic has a co-working stipend that they can put towards a co-working space or just to buy coffee, so they don't get kicked out of the coffee shop . Automattic的每个人都有共享办公的津贴, 他们可以把它用到共享办公场地, 或者去买个咖啡,这样就 不会被咖啡店赶出来。
co-working:合伙办公; stipend:n.奖学金;固定薪金;定期津贴;养老金; coffee shop:na.咖啡店;(一般的)小餐馆;
One group in Seattle decided to pool their stipends together and rented a workspace on a fishing pier . 西雅图的一群人决定 把他们的津贴凑在一起, 在一个码头上租了一个工作空间。
Seattle:n.西雅图(美国一港市); stipends:[劳经]薪俸; workspace:n.工作空间; pier:n.码头,直码头;桥墩;窗间壁;
Each person who joins the company gets a home-office stipend. 每个加入公司的人 都有家庭办公室津贴。
This is money they can invest in getting the right chair, monitor, the right desk setup, so they can have the most productive environment for them. 这些钱可以用来买到 合适的椅子和显示器, 正确的办公桌设置,可以 让他们拥有最高效的工作环境。
invest:v.投资;(把资金)投入;投入(时间、精力等);授予;
Today, there are just a few companies that are distributed first. 今天,只有少数几个公司 优先选择分布式办公。
In a decade or two, I predict that 90 percent of companies that are going to be changing the course of the world are going to function this way. 在10年或20年后,我预测90% 将要改变世界进程的公司 会用这种方式运作。
predict:v.预报;预言;预告;
They will evolve to be distributed first, or they'll be replaced by those that are. 它们会率先演化成分布式公司, 或者它们会被这类公司替代。
As you think about what you're going to build next, consider how you can tap into global talent, give people autonomy to live and work where they feel they should and still participate fully in whatever it is that you're creating together. 当你考虑下一步做什么时, 考虑一下如何利用全球人才, 给人们选择生活和工作地点的自主权, 并且仍然能充分参与你们 共同创造的任何东西。
global:adj.全球的;总体的;球形的; participate:v.参加;参与;