|
|
MartinPistorius_2015X-_心灵重回生活——_一段无人了解的经历_
|
Imagine being unable to say, "I am hungry," "I am in pain," |
想象一下不能说出“我饿了”,“我好疼” |
'"thank you," or "I love you." |
“谢谢”以及“我爱你”的情形 |
Being trapped inside your body, a body that doesn't respond to commands. |
被束缚在自己的身体里 一个不能作出响应的身体 |
trapped:adj.受困的;受限制的;v.使落入险境;使陷入困境;(trap的过去分词和过去式) respond:vi.回答;作出反应;承担责任;n.应答;唱和;
|
Surrounded by people, yet utterly alone. |
尽管被人群包围 但却沉浸在无尽的孤独中 |
utterly:adv.完全地;绝对地;全然地;彻底地,十足地;
|
Wishing you could reach out, to connect, to comfort, to participate . |
极力想要接触身边的人群 去联系、去安抚、去参与 |
participate:v.参加;参与;
|
For 13 long years, that was my reality. |
这就是我十三年来的处境 |
Most of us never think twice about talking, about communicating. |
几乎没有人仔细的关注过自己的言谈和交流 |
think twice:再三考虑;重新考虑;
|
I've thought a lot about it. |
我却思考了非常非常多 |
I've had a lot of time to think. |
我有很多时间去想这些事 |
For the first 12 years of my life, |
在我生命中的前十二年中 |
I was a normal, happy, healthy little boy. |
我曾是一个平常的、活泼的、健康的男孩 |
Then everything changed. |
但是后来一切都发生了翻天覆地的变化 |
I contracted a brain infection . |
我不幸罹患脑部感染 |
contracted:adj.契约的; v.使收缩; infection:n.感染;传染;(身体某部位的)感染;传染病;
|
The doctors weren't sure what it was, but they treated me the best they could. |
我的医生不确定我感染了何物 但是他们尽全力医治我 |
treated:v.以…态度对待;把…看作;(treat的过去分词和过去式)
|
However, I progressively got worse. |
但是我的病情急剧恶化 |
progressively:adv.渐进地;日益增多地;
|
Eventually , I lost my ability to control my movements, make eye contact , and finally , my ability to speak. |
后来,我失去了控制自己行动的能力 失去了用眼神沟通的能力 最终,失去了说话的能力 |
Eventually:adv.最后,终于; contact:n.接触,联系;v.使接触,联系; finally:adv.终于;最终;(用于列举)最后;彻底地;
|
While in hospital, |
当我还在医院的时候 |
I desperately wanted to go home. |
我近乎绝望地想要回到家中 |
desperately:adv.拼命地;绝望地;不顾一切地;极度地;
|
I said to my mother, "When home?" |
我对我的母亲说 |
Those were the last words I ever spoke with my own voice. |
这是我自己说出的最后几个字 |
I would eventually fail every test for mental awareness . |
后来,我没有通过任何一个心理意识测验 |
mental:adj.精神的;脑力的;疯的;n.精神病患者; awareness:n.意识,认识;明白,知道;
|
My parents were told I was as good as not there. |
无论他们如何认为,我感知到了这一切 |
A vegetable, having the intelligence of a three-month-old baby. |
在他们眼里我成了一个和三个月婴儿智力无异的植物人 |
intelligence:n.智力;智慧;才智;(尤指关于敌国的)情报;
|
They were told to take me home and try to keep me comfortable until I died. |
医生建议他们把我带回家 直到我死去 |
My parents, in fact my entire family's lives, became consumed by taking care of me the best they knew how. |
我父母的,甚至是整个家庭的生活 都被尽可能好的照顾我而淹没 |
consumed:adj.沉迷…的; v.消耗,耗费; (consume的过去分词和过去式)
|
Their friends drifted away. |
他们的朋友离他们远去 |
drifted:v.漂流;漂移;缓缓移动;缓慢行走;(drift的过去分词和过去式)
|
One year turned to two,two turned to three. |
一年又一年 |
It seemed like the person I once was began to disappear . |
看起来原来的我逐渐消失 |
disappear:v.消失;失踪;不复存在;
|
The Lego blocks and electronic circuits I'd loved as a boy were put away. |
我爱玩的乐高积木和电路板被收了起来 |
Lego:n.乐高积木(商标名); electronic:adj.电子的;电子器件的;电子设备的; circuits:n.环行路线;电路;线路;巡回赛;v.巡回;周游;(circuit的第三人称单数和复数)
|
I had been moved out of my bedroom into another more practical one. |
我被从我的卧室搬了出来到了另外一个更方便的房间 |
practical:adj.实际的;真实的;客观存在的;n.实习课;实践课;
|
I had become a ghost , a faded memory of a boy people once knew and loved. |
我变成了一个幽灵 变成了一个人们模糊记忆中曾被人们熟知和喜爱的小男孩 |
ghost:n.鬼,幽灵;v.作祟于;替…捉刀;为人代笔; faded:adj.已褪色的;已凋谢的;
|
Meanwhile , my mind began knitting itself back together. |
但是同一时间我的意识开始逐渐缓慢复原 |
Meanwhile:adv.同时,其间;n.其间,其时; knitting:n.针织;编织物;[外科]骨愈合;v.编织;皱眉(knit的ing形式);
|
Gradually , my awareness started to return. |
慢慢的,我的意识开始恢复了 |
Gradually:adv.渐渐地;逐步地;
|
But no one realized that I had come back to life. |
但是没有人意识到我已经恢复了意识 |
I was aware of everything, just like any normal person. |
我可以意识到一切 就像一个完全正常的人一样 |
I could see and understand everything, but I couldn't find a way to let anybody know. |
我可以看见也可以理解一切 但我不知道如何让别人知道 |
My personality was entombed within a seemingly silent body, a vibrant mind hidden in plain sight within a chrysalis . |
我的意识像是被埋葬在一个看起来寂静的身体里 活跃的内心被蛹束缚起来 |
personality:n.性格;个性;人格;魅力;气质;名人;特色; entombed:vt.埋葬(entomb的过去式); seemingly:adv.看来似乎;表面上看来; vibrant:adj.振动的;充满生气的;响亮的;战栗的; chrysalis:n.[昆]蝶蛹;虫茧;准备期;
|
The stark reality hit me that I was going to spend the rest of my life locked inside myself, totally alone. |
残酷的现实狠狠的冲击了我 我很可能在有生之年只能封锁在自己的身体里了 完完全全孤身一人 |
I was trapped with only my thoughts for company. |
我被困住了,只有我的思考作伴 |
I would never be rescued . |
我永远不会被解救 |
rescued:v.营救;援救;抢救;(rescue的过去分词和过去式)
|
No one would ever show me tenderness . |
不会有人对我温柔以待 |
tenderness:n.亲切;柔软;柔和;敏感;棘手;
|
I would never talk to a friend. |
不会有朋友与我热心交谈 |
No one would ever love me. |
不会有人把我视作珍宝 |
I had no dreams, no hope, nothing to look forward to . |
我没有梦想,没有希望没有任何事情供我去期待 |
look forward to:盼望,期待;
|
Well, nothing pleasant. |
没有任何可以留恋的 |
I lived in fear, and, to put it bluntly , was waiting for death to finally release me, expecting to die all alone in a care home. |
我活在恐惧中 而且坦白地说 我甚至期待死亡的最终解脱 孤独地在我心爱的家中等死 |
bluntly:adv.坦率地,直率地;迟钝地; release:v.释放;发射;让与;允许发表;n.释放;发布;让与;
|
I don't know if it's truly possible to express in words what it's like not to be able to communicate. |
我不知道用语言表达这种无法用语言表达的感觉 是否现实 |
express:v.表达; adj.特快的; n.特快列车; v.使用快速服务;
|
Your personality appears to vanish into a heavy fog and all of your emotions and desires are constricted , stifled and muted within you. |
就像你的意识看起来将要迷失在浓浓雾中 你所有的感情和欲望在身体里被约束、扼杀、沉寂 |
vanish:v.消失;突然不见;成为零;n.弱化音; emotions:n.强烈的感情;激情;情感;(emotion的复数) constricted:adj.收缩的;狭隘的;受限制的;v.使…收缩;抑制(constrict的过去分词); stifled:堵; muted:adj.减轻的; v.消音; (mute的过去分词和过去式)
|
For me, the worst was the feeling of utter powerlessness . |
对我而言,最可怕的是极度无力的感觉 |
powerlessness:n.无力;无能为力;无力量;
|
I simply existed. |
我在事实上是存在的 |
It's a very dark place to find yourself because in a sense , you have vanished . |
但是你只能在非常昏暗的地方才能找到自己 因为在某种程度上,你已经消失不见 |
in a sense:在某种意义上; vanished:v.消失了;突然消失;消亡;绝迹;(vanish的过去分词和过去式)
|
Other people controlled every aspect of my life. |
别人控制了我生命的每一个方面 |
aspect:n.方面;层面;外观;方位;
|
They decided what I ate and when. |
他们决定我吃什么、什么时候吃 |
Whether I was laid on my side or strapped into my wheelchair . |
我是被铺放在一侧还是被绑在我的轮椅上 |
strapped:adj.缺钱的; v.用带子系; (strap的过去分词和过去式) wheelchair:n.轮椅;
|
I often spent my days positioned in front of the TV watching Barney reruns . |
我经常被放置在电视机前 看Barney在电视上放了一遍又一遍 |
reruns:v.重演;重播;重放;重映;重做,再次进行;(rerun的第三人称单数)
|
I think because Barney is so happy and jolly , and I absolutely wasn't, it made it so much worse. |
我想可能是因为Barney是那么的欢快活泼 而我却与它完全相反 这让事情变得更加糟糕 |
jolly:adj.愉快的;高兴的;adv.很;非常;v.甘愿或渴望做某事;怂恿;n.旅游;游玩 absolutely:adv.绝对地;完全地;
|
I was completely powerless to change anything in my life or people's perceptions of me. |
我无法改变生命中的任何事情 对改变别人对我的认知也无能为力 |
perceptions:n.认知;观念(perception的复数);理解;
|
I was a silent, invisible observer of how people behaved when they thought no one was watching. |
我是一个无声的,隐形的,观察人们行为的观察者 人们以为没有人看到发生了什么 |
invisible:adj.看不见的;n.看不见的人或物; observer:n.观察员;观察者;观察家;观测者; behaved:v.表现;表现得体;有礼貌;(behave的过去分词和过去式)
|
Unfortunately , I wasn't only an observer. |
不幸的是,我不仅仅是一个观察者 |
Unfortunately:adv.不幸地;
|
With no way to communicate, I became the perfect victim : a defenseless object, seemingly devoid of feelings that people used to play out their darkest desires. |
由于没有沟通的能力,我变成了完美的受害者 一个没有防御的,看起来完全没有感知的物体 变成了人们发泄黑暗欲望的完美工具 |
victim:n.受害人;牺牲品;牺牲者; defenseless:adj.无防备的; devoid:adj.缺乏的;全无的;
|
For more than 10 years, people who were charged with my care abused me physically, verbally and sexually . |
超过十年来,一些本应该来照顾我的人 在肢体上、言语上、性行为上虐待我 |
abused:v.滥用(以致危害健康); (abuse的过去分词和过去式) verbally:adv.口头地,非书面地;用言辞地; sexually:adv.性,性欲
|
Despite what they thought, I did feel. |
无论他们如何认为,我感知到了这一切 |
Despite:prep.尽管,不管;n.轻视;憎恨;侮辱;
|
The first time it happened, |
第一次发生这种事情时 |
I was shocked and filled with disbelief . |
我被震惊所淹没 |
disbelief:n.怀疑,不信;
|
How could they do this to me? |
他们怎么能这么对我 |
I was confused . |
我非常疑惑 |
confused:adj.困惑的; v.使糊涂; (confuse的过去分词和过去式)
|
What had I done to deserve this? |
我做了什么,竟遭受到如此对待 |
deserve:vi.应受,应得;
|
Part of me wanted to cry and another part wanted to fight. |
我的一部分极力的想要哭泣另外的一部分极力的想要反抗 |
Hurt, sadness and anger flooded through me. |
伤痛、悲怆以及激愤在我心中一涌而出 |
I felt worthless . |
我觉得自已分文不值 |
worthless:adj.无价值的;不值钱的;卑微的;
|
There was no one to comfort me. |
没有人能够安慰我 |
But neither of my parents knew this was happening. |
但我的父母不知道这些事情的发生 |
I lived in terror, knowing it would happen again and again . |
我生活在恐惧之中深知这一切将会一直重复下去 |
again and again:adv.再三地,反复地;
|
I just never knew when. |
只是不知道何时会遭受下一次而已 |
All I knew was that I would never be the same. |
我只知道我永远不再是曾经的自己了 |
I remember once listening to Whitney Houston singing, " No matter what they take from me, they can't take away my dignity ." |
我想起曾听到惠特尼·休斯顿唱道 “不论他们从我这里拿走了什么他们永远带不走我的尊严” |
Houston:n.休斯顿(美国得克萨斯州港市); No matter what:不管什么…; dignity:n.尊严;高贵;
|
And I thought to myself, "You want to bet ?" |
我自己想到,“你想打个赌么” |
bet:n.打赌;赌注;预计;估计;v.下赌注(于);用…打赌;敢说;八成儿;
|
Perhaps my parents could have found out and could have helped. |
也许我的父母本能够发现并给我帮助 |
But the years of constant caretaking, having to wake up every two hours to turn me, combined with them essentially grieving the loss of their son, had taken a toll on my mother and father. |
但是经年累月的康复照看 不得不每两个小时就醒来让我翻身 加上失去一个儿子的沉痛伤悲 让我的父母觉得难以招架 |
essentially:adv.本质上;本来; grieving:v.悲伤,悲痛,伤心;使悲伤;使伤心;(grieve的现在分词) toll:n.伤亡人数; v.(缓慢而有规律地)敲(钟); (尤指)鸣(丧钟);
|
Following yet another heated argument between my parents, in a moment of despair and desperation, my mother turned to me and told me that I should die. |
随着父母之间的一次激烈的争吵 在那么一个绝望的氛围之下 我的母亲看向了我对我说“你应该去死” |
in a moment:立刻; despair:v.绝望;失去希望;丧失信心;n.绝望;
|
I was shocked, but as I thought about what she had said, |
我非常震惊,但是当我思考她所说的话 |
I was filled with enormous compassion and love for my mother, yet I could do nothing about it. |
我感觉到了对我的母亲的巨大同情和爱 但我对此无能为力 |
enormous:adj.庞大的,巨大的;凶暴的,极恶的; compassion:n.同情;怜悯;
|
There were many moments when I gave up, sinking into a dark abyss . |
很多次我决定放弃 不如就此沉入黑暗的深渊 |
abyss:n.深渊;深邃,无底洞,地狱;
|
I remember one particularly low moment. |
我仍能记起一次极端低潮的时候 |
particularly:adv.特别地,独特地;详细地,具体地;明确地,细致地;
|
My dad left me alone in the car while he quickly went to buy something from the store. |
我的父亲把我一个人留在车中 他一个人很快的去商店里买些东西 |
A random stranger walked past, looked at me and he smiled. |
一个陌生人走过 看了我一眼,给了我一个微笑 |
random:adj.[数]随机的;任意的;胡乱的;n.随意;adv.胡乱地;
|
I may never know why, but that simple act, the fleeting moment of human connection, transformed how I was feeling, making me want to keep going. |
我并不知道他为何笑,但那个简单的动作 那个转瞬间人类间的交流 改变了我的想法 让我非常想要坚持下去 |
fleeting:adj.转瞬即逝的;短暂的;闪现的; transformed:v.使改变形态;使改变外观(或性质);(transform的过去分词和过去式)
|
My existence was tortured by monotony , a reality that was often too much to bear. |
我的生命被单调折磨 这是一个时常难以承受的现实 |
tortured:adj.遭受重创的; v.拷问; (torture的过去分词和过去式) monotony:n.单调;千篇一律;
|
Alone with my thoughts, I constructed intricate fantasies about ants running across the floor. |
当我只与思维作伴时我只能靠构建出的错综复杂的幻想度日 想象成群的蚂蚁在地板上穿行 |
constructed:v.修建;建造;组成;编制,绘制;(construct的过去分词和过去式) intricate:adj.复杂的;错综的,缠结的; fantasies:n.梦想,幻想(fantasy的复数);
|
I taught myself to tell the time by noticing where the shadows were. |
我学会通过观察阴影的位置来辨别时间 |
As I learned how the shadows moved as the hours of the day passed, |
因为我观察出阴影是如何随着时间而移动 |
I understood how long it would be before I was picked up and taken home. |
我逐渐能够判断出离回家还需要多久时间 |
Seeing my father walk through the door to collect me was the best moment of the day. |
每次看到父亲穿过大门进来接我的一刻 都是那一天最美好的时候 |
My mind became a tool that I could use to either close down to retreat from my reality or enlarge into a gigantic space that I could fill with fantasies. |
我的思维变成了可以被我利用的工具 我抑或压抑思维,用它来逃避现实 抑或无限扩大,使它成为一个可以被幻想填充的巨大空间 |
close down:关闭;停止播音; retreat:v.撤退;退却;后退;退缩;n.撤退;退却;退缩;退避; gigantic:adj.巨大的,庞大的;
|
I hoped that my reality would change and someone would see that I had come back to life. |
我曾是那么渴望我的处境得到改变 希望有人能够看出我已经重回人间 |
But I had been washed away like a sand castle built too close to the waves, and in my place was the person people expected me to be. |
但我已经像一个被海浪冲刷过的 建造得离浪头太近的沙滩城堡 我的位置已经被一个人们认为的我所取代 |
To some I was Martin, a vacant shell , the vegetable, deserving of harsh words, dismissal and even abuse. |
对于一些人来说,我是那个空壳植物人马丁 理应被辱骂、被忽视甚至被虐待 |
vacant:adj.空虚的;空闲的;茫然的; shell:n.壳;炮弹;壳层;骨架;v.脱壳;剥壳;采集贝壳;用壳体包被;short.shewill; deserving:adj.值得的;应得的;有功的;v.值得;应得到(deserve的现在分词); harsh:adj.严厉的;严酷的;刺耳的;粗糙的;刺目的; dismissal:n.解雇;免职;
|
To others, I was the tragically brain-damaged boy who had grown to become a man. |
对其他人来说,我是那个长大成人的悲剧男孩 曾遭受严重的脑部损伤 |
tragically:adv.悲剧地;悲惨地; brain-damaged:脑损伤的;
|
Someone they were kind to and cared for. |
理应得到照顾和善良的对待 |
Good or bad, I was a blank canvas onto which different versions of myself were projected. |
不管是好是坏,我想是一面空白的帆布 上面可以投射出不同的我的样子 |
canvas:n.帆布;(帆布)画布;油画;vt.用帆布覆盖;
|
It took someone new to see me in a different way. |
需要一个新的人从不同的视角看待我 |
An aromatherapist began coming to the care home about once a week. |
这时一个芳香疗法专家开始每周去一次康复中心 |
aromatherapist:n.芳香疗法专家;
|
Whether through intuition or her attention to details that others failed to notice, she became convinced that I could understand what was being said. |
可能是因为她的直觉 也可能是因为一些被别人忽视的细节 她逐渐确信我能理解人们所说的话 |
intuition:n.直觉;直觉力;直觉的知识; convinced:adj.坚信; v.使确信; (convince的过去分词和过去式)
|
She urged my parents to have me tested by experts in augmentative and alternative communication. |
她急切的要求我的父母将我送去专家那里做检查 进行辅助替代的交流 |
augmentative:adj.增义的;n.[语]增强语; alternative:adj.供选择的;选择性的;交替的;n.二中择一;供替代的选择;
|
And within a year, |
不到一年 |
I was beginning to use a computer program to communicate. |
我开始利用电脑程序与人交流 |
It was exhilarating , but frustrating at times. |
这是令人振奋的 但有时令人沮丧 |
exhilarating:adj.令人兴奋的; v.使高兴; (exhilarate的现在分词) frustrating:adj.令人沮丧的;v.使沮丧;(frustrate的现在分词)
|
I had so many words in my mind, that I couldn't wait to be able to share them. |
我脑海里千头万绪 但不能与人分享 |
Sometimes, I would say things to myself simply because I could. |
有时我与自己对话 只是因为我可以这么做 |
In myself, I had a ready audience, and I believed that by expressing my thoughts and wishes, others would listen, too. |
在我身体里有一个现成的观众 我相信 只要表达思想和愿望 其他人可也以听到 |
expressing:v.表示;表达;表露;显而易见;(express的现在分词)
|
But as I began to communicate more, |
但随着交流的增多 |
I realized that it was in fact only just the beginning of creating a new voice for myself. |
我意识到这其实只是 创造一个新的表达方式的开始 |
I was thrust into a world I didn't quite know how to function in. |
我被推到了一个我不知道如何运作的世界里 |
thrust into:强行闯入;投身于…之中;把…插进;
|
I stopped going to the care home and managed to get my first job making photocopies . |
我结束了在护理中心的生活 并找到了第一份复印的工作 |
photocopies:n.影印本;影印机(photocopy的复数);v.影印(photocopy的第三人称单数);
|
As simple as this may sound, it was amazing. |
虽然听起来很简单 但是着实令人惊叹 |
My new world was really exciting but often quite overwhelming and frightening . |
我的新世界使我兴奋 但经常繁重不堪 让人恐惧 |
overwhelming:adj.势不可挡的; v.压倒; (overwhelm的现在分词) frightening:adj.可怕的;骇人的;引起恐惧的;v.使惊吓;使惊恐(frighten的现在分词)
|
I was like a man-child , and as liberating as it often was, |
我就像一个男孩 如此自由 |
man-child:n.男孩; liberating:v.解放;使自由;使摆脱约束(或限制);(liberate的现在分词)
|
I struggled . |
我为自己的新世界不断努力 |
struggled:v.奋斗;努力;争取;艰难地行进;抗争;(struggle的过去式和过去分词)
|
I also learned that many of those who had known me for a long time found it impossible to abandon the idea of Martin they had in their heads. |
我发现 认识我很久的人 发现他们无法忽视我的想法 |
abandon:n.狂热;放任;v.遗弃;放弃;
|
While those I had only just met struggled to look past the image of a silent man in a wheelchair. |
虽然 我刚认识的人 在努力想象这个沉默的坐在轮椅上的人过去的样子 |
I realized that some people would only listen to me if what I said was in line with what they expected. |
我意识到有些人可以听进去我的意见 如果我说的正中他们下怀 |
in line with:符合;与…一致;
|
Otherwise, it was disregarded and they did what they felt was best. |
然而 我说的话会被无视 他们自行其是 |
disregarded:不顾,不理会,无视(disregard的过去式和过去分词);
|
I discovered that true communication is about more than merely physically conveying a message. |
我发现真正的交流 不只是传递信息 |
merely:adv.仅仅,只不过;只是; conveying:v.表达,传递(思想、感情等);输送;(convey的现在分词)
|
It is about getting the message heard and respected. |
而是让信息被听取和尊重 |
Still, things were going well. |
然而 我的恢复情况很好 |
My body was slowly getting stronger. |
我的身体慢慢强壮起来 |
I had a job in computing that I loved, and had even got Kojak, the dog I had been dreaming about for years. |
我有了一份我喜欢的计算工作 还养了一只我梦寐以求的小狗Kijak |
computing:n.计算;计算机技术;信息处理技术;v.计算;求出;(compute的现在分词)
|
However, I longed to share my life with someone. |
但是 我渴望与他人分享我的生活 |
I remember staring out the window as my dad drove me home from work, thinking I have so much love inside of me and nobody to give it to. |
我记得 爸爸接我下班回家时我凝视车窗 思考着我内心充斥快乐 但无人分享 |
staring:adj.凝视的,目不转睛的;显眼的;v.凝视;盯着看;显眼;(stare的现在分词)
|
Just as I had resigned myself to being single for the rest of my life, |
就像我已经认为自己会孤独一生的时候 |
resigned:adj.逆来顺受的;顺从的;v.辞职;辞去(某职务);(resign的过去分词和过去式)
|
I met Joan. |
我遇到了Joan |
Not only is she the best thing that has ever happened to me, but Joan helped me to challenge my own misconceptions about myself. |
她不仅是在我身上发生的最棒的事 她还帮助我纠正了我对自己的错误认知 |
misconceptions:n.迷思概念;错误的想法;
|
Joan said it was through my words that she fell in love with me. |
Joan说通过我的文字 她爱上了我 |
However, after all I had been through, |
但是 在我经历这一切后 |
I still couldn't shake the belief that nobody could truly see beyond my disability and accept me for who I am. |
我仍坚信 没人能够真正看到我缺陷之外的部分 并接受真正的我 |
disability:n.残疾;无能;无资格;不利条件;
|
I also really struggled to comprehend that I was a man. |
我努力试着理解我是一个男人 |
comprehend:v.理解;包含;由…组成;
|
The first time someone referred to me as a man, it stopped me in my tracks . |
第一次有人把我叫做一个男人时 我停下脚步 |
referred:v.提到;引用;认为;指示;涉及;(refer的过去式和过去分词) tracks:n.小道;足迹;车辙;轨道;v.追踪;跟踪;(track的第三人称单数和复数)
|
I felt like looking around and asking, "Who, me?" |
我想回头问 谁?我? |
That all changed with Joan. |
这些随着遇到Joan而改变 |
We have an amazing connection and I learned how important it is to communicate openly and honestly. |
我们有着令人惊叹的联系 我明白了坦诚交流的重要性 |
I felt safe, and it gave me the confidence to truly say what I thought. |
我感到安全这让我自信地表达我的真实想法 |
confidence:n.信心;信任;秘密;adj.(美)诈骗的;骗得信任的;
|
I started to feel whole again, a man worthy of love. |
我开始感到生命的完整我是一个值得被爱的人 |
worthy:adj.值得的; n.杰出人物;
|
I began to reshape my destiny . |
我开始重塑命运 |
reshape:vt.改造;再成形; destiny:n.命运,定数,天命;
|
I spoke up a little more at work. |
工作中我说更多的话 |
I asserted my need for independence to the people around me. |
我想周围的人表达独立的愿望 |
asserted:adj.宣称的;声称的;v.宣称;声称(assert的过去分词); independence:n.独立;独立性;自恃心;独立不羁的精神;
|
Being given a means of communication changed everything. |
有了交流的方式 一切都改变了 |
I used the power of words and will to challenge the preconceptions of those around me and those I had of myself. |
我用语言的力量挑战了 来自于身边人的和来自于自己的偏见 |
preconceptions:n.偏见(preconception的复数);先入之见;先前概念;
|
Communication is what makes us human, enabling us to connect on the deepest level with those around us -- telling our own stories, expressing wants, needs and desires, or hearing those of others by really listening. |
交流是人类的特质 使我们能够在最深层次 与身边的人沟通 分享我们的故事 表达愿望 需要和渴求 或者倾听他人的思想 |
enabling:adj.授权的;v.使能够;授权给(enable的现在分词);
|
All this is how the world knows who we are. |
所有这些都让这个世界知道我们是谁 |
So who are we without it? |
如果没有交流 我们会变成什么样子 |
True communication increases understanding and creates a more caring and compassionate world. |
真正的交流增进理解 并且创造出富有同情心的世界 |
compassionate:adj.慈悲的;富于同情心的;vt.同情;怜悯;
|
Once, I was perceived to be an inanimate object, a mindless phantom of a boy in a wheelchair. |
曾经我被预言为毫无生命的物体 一个坐在轮椅上毫无思想的幽灵 |
perceived:v.注意到;意识到;将…视为;认为;(perceive的过去式和过去分词) inanimate:adj.无生命的;无生气的; mindless:adj.愚蠢的;不小心的;不需要动脑筋的;不顾虑的; phantom:n.幽灵;幻影;虚位;adj.幽灵的;幻觉的;有名无实的;
|
Today, I am so much more. |
现在 我有了多个角色 |
A husband, a son, a friend, a brother, a business owner, a first-class honors graduate, a keen amateur photographer. |
丈夫 儿子 朋友 兄弟 老板 一等荣誉毕业生 热情的业余摄影师 |
first-class:adj.优秀的;第一流的;adv.优秀地;最好地;第一流地; keen:adj.敏锐的,敏捷的;渴望的;强烈的;热心的;锐利的;n.痛哭,挽歌; amateur:n.爱好者;业余爱好者;外行;adj.业余的;外行的;
|
It is my ability to communicate that has given me all this. |
是交流的能力给予我这些 |
We are told that actions speak louder than words . |
有人告诉我们 行动比语言更有力 |
actions speak louder than words:事实胜于雄辩;
|
But I wonder, do they? |
但我想问 是这样吗 |
Our words, however we communicate them, are just as powerful. |
语言 无论我们怎么用它们交流 都是有力的 |
Whether we speak the words with our own voices, type them with our eyes, or communicate them non-verbally to someone who speaks them for us, words are among our most powerful tools. |
无论我们怎样使用语言 用声音 用眼神 或通过其他非口头的方式与他人交流 语言都是最有力的工具之一 |
I have come to you through a terrible darkness, pulled from it by caring souls and by language itself. |
我经过可怕的黑暗来到你们面前 被悲悯的灵魂 和语言本身解救出来 |
The act of you listening to me today brings me farther into the light. |
你们的倾听让我进一步走进光明 |
We are shining here together. |
我们正一起发光 |
If there is one most difficult obstacle to my way of communicating, it is that sometimes I want to shout and other times simply to whisper a word of love or gratitude . |
如果我在交流中有一个最大的障碍 那就是有时我想大喊 有时只想低声说出爱和感激 |
obstacle:n.障碍;障碍物;阻碍;绊脚石; whisper:v.耳语;低语;私语;小声说;n.耳语(声);低语(声);私语(声);轻柔的声音; gratitude:n.感谢(的心情);感激;
|
It all sounds the same. |
但如果你能够 |
But if you will, please imagine these next two words as warmly as you can: |
请极尽热忱地想象这两个词 谢谢 |
warmly:adv.热情地;温暖地;亲切地;
|
Thank you. |
(鼓掌) |
(Applause) |
|