返回首页

MarkShaw_2013-_一个非常“干燥”的演示_

I'm here to show you how something you can't see can be so much fun to look at. 我来给大家展示 认识我们看不到的东西是件多么有趣的事情。
You're about to experience a new, available and exciting technology that's going to make us rethink how we waterproof our lives. 你们马上要体验到一种全新的,已经可用的, 令人激动的科技如何能让我们的生活 保持干爽。
technology:n.技术;工艺;术语; rethink:v.重新考虑;再想;n.重新考虑;反思;新想法; waterproof:adj.防水的,不透水的;v.使防水;n.防水材料;
What I have here is a cinder block that we've coated half with a nanotechnology spray that can be applied to almost any material. 我这边有一块儿煤渣砖。 我们在它的半面喷上了纳米技术涂层。 这种涂层几乎可以在任何材料上使用。
cinder block:n.煤渣砌块; nanotechnology:n.纳米技术; spray:n.喷雾; v.喷; applied:adj.应用的;实用的;v.应用;使用;申请,请求;(apply的过去分词和过去式)
It's called Ultra-Ever Dry, and when you apply it to any material, it turns into a superhydrophobic shield . 它叫做“极度干燥”。 当你把它用在任何材料上时, 它会变成一层超疏水保护层。
apply:v.申请;涂,敷;应用;适用;请求; superhydrophobic:超疏水; shield:n.盾;防护物;保护者;v.遮蔽;包庇;避开;保卫;
So this is a cinder block, uncoated , and you can see that it's porous , it absorbs water. 看煤渣砖这边没有涂保护层的地方, 大家可以看到水渗进去了。
uncoated:adj.未经涂布的;不加涂层的;裸露的; porous:adj.多孔渗水的;能渗透的;有气孔的; absorbs:v.吸收;吸引…的注意(absorb的第三人称单数形式);
Not anymore. 没有渗进去。
Porous, nonporous . 渗水,不渗水
nonporous:adj.无孔的,无孔隙的;
So what's superhydrophobic? 那么什么是超疏水?
Superhydrophobic is how we measure a drop of water on a surface. 它是用来测量 一个表面上的水滴的。
The rounder it is, the more hydrophobic it is, and if it's really round, it's superhydrophobic. 水滴越圆,越疏(防)水。 如果水滴非常圆的话,就叫超疏水了。
rounder:n.酒鬼;惯犯;看夜人;搓圆机;巡回者;
A freshly waxed car, the water molecules slump to about 90 degrees. 刚上过蜡的汽车,水分子与平面的接触角弧度 突降到大概90度。
freshly:adv.新近;精神饱满地; waxed:v.给…打蜡;用蜡除去…上的毛;(wax的过去分词和过去式) molecules:n.[化学]分子,微粒;[化学]摩尔(molecule的复数); slump:vi.下降,衰落; vt.使降低; n.衰退;
A windshield coating is going to give you about 110 degrees. 一扇挡风玻璃涂层大概是110度。
windshield:n.挡风玻璃;
But what you're seeing here is 160 to 175 degrees, and anything over 150 is superhydrophobic. 但是你看这边是160到175度之间 所有超过150度的都叫做超疏水。
So as part of the demonstration , what I have is a pair of gloves, and we've coated one of the gloves with the nanotechnology coating, and let's see if you can tell which one, and I'll give you a hint . 接下来的一个演示 我有一双手套 其中一只涂了 纳米科技涂层 看看大家能不能看出是哪一只 我来给你们一个提示。
demonstration:n.示范;演示;论证;证明; hint:n.提示;暗示;迹象;窍门;v.暗示;透露;示意;
Did you guess the one that was dry? 大家猜的是干的那只吗?
When you have nanotechnology and nanoscience, what's occurred is that we're able to now look at atoms and molecules and actually control them for great benefits. 当我们有了纳米科技和纳米科学, 我们现在就可以 了解原子和分子,让它们 造福人类。
occurred:v.发生;出现;存在于;出现在;(occur的过去分词和过去式) atoms:n.[物]原子(atom的复数);
And we're talking really small here. 我们在说非常小的东西
The way you measure nanotechnology is in nanometers , and one nanometer is a billionth of a meter, and to put some scale to that, if you had a nanoparticle that was one nanometer thick, 我们用纳米单位来衡量纳米技术, 一纳米是十亿分之一米, 换句话说, 如果你有一个一纳米厚的纳米粒子,
nanometers:n.[计量]毫微米(即十亿分之一米); billionth:adj.十亿分之一的;第十亿的;n.十亿分之一;第十亿; scale:n.规模;比例;鳞;刻度;天平;数值范围;v.衡量;攀登;剥落;生水垢; nanoparticle:n.纳米颗粒;毫微粒;
and you put it side by side , and you had 50,000 of them, you'd be the width of a human hair. 把5万个这样的纳米粒子一个一个按顺序排起来, 它们的粗细就相当于一根头发。
side by side:adj.并肩的;并行的; width:n.宽度;广度;某一宽度的材料;(游泳池两长边之间的)池宽;
So very small, but very useful. 所以,非常微小,但是却十分有用。
And it's not just water that this works with. 而且它不仅对水有作用
It's a lot of water-based materials like concrete , water-based paint, mud, and also some refined oils as well. 对很多水性材料也有作用,比如混凝土, 水彩画, 水泥, 和成品油。
water-based:adj.以水为基的; concrete:n.混凝土;adj.混凝土制的;确实的,具体的;vt.用混凝土覆盖 refined:adj.精制的; v.精炼;
You can see the difference. 大家看到差别了吧
Moving onto the next demonstration, we've taken a pane of glass and we've coated the outside of it, we've framed it with the nanotechnology coating, and we're going to pour this green-tinted water inside the middle, 来看下一个演示 我们这边有一片玻璃 我们用纳米技术把玻璃的边框封起来 然后我们把绿色的水倒到中间
pane:n.窗格;边;面;窗格玻璃;嵌板;vt.装窗玻璃于;镶嵌板于; framed:v.给…做框;给…镶边;制订;拟订;(frame的过去分词和过去式) pour:v.倒; n.流出; (已熔金属的)一次浇注量;
and you're going to see, it's going to spread out on glass like you'd normally think it would, except when it hits the coating, it stops, and I can't even coax it to leave. 大家会发现,水在玻璃上四散开来, 很正常的现象, 但是水在碰到疏水层的时候停下了, 我甚至都不能把水推到外面去。
spread out:冒火;喷火; normally:adv.正常地;通常地,一般地; coax:vt.哄;哄诱;慢慢将…弄好;vi.哄骗;劝诱;
It's that afraid of the water. 看它是多么怕水!
(Applause) (掌声)
So what's going on here? What's happening? 那么究竟怎么回事?
Well, the surface of the spray coating is actually filled with nanoparticles that form a very rough and craggly surface. 其实,这个涂层的表面 覆盖着纳米粒子 让这个表面变得非常粗糙不平。
nanoparticles:n.纳米粒子(nanoparticle的复数形式);
You'd think it'd be smooth, but it's actually not. 你可能以为它会很光滑,其实不是。
And it has billions of interstitial spaces, and those spaces, along with the nanoparticles, reach up and grab the air molecules, and cover the surface with air. 而且它有几十亿的空隙 这些空隙和纳米粒子一起 吸附空气分子 让表面覆盖上空气。
interstitial:adj.间质的;空隙的;填隙的;n.填隙原子;节间; grab:v.攫取;霸占;将…深深吸引;n.攫取;霸占;夺取之物;
It's an umbrella of air all across it, and that layer of air is what the water hits, the mud hits, the concrete hits, and it glides right off. 这就形成了一层空气保护伞。 当水,水泥,混凝土 撞到这层空气时,它们就不会附着了。
layer:n.层,层次; vt.把…分层堆放; vi.形成或分成层次; glides:滑翔;滑行;
So if I put this inside this water here, you can see a silver reflective coating around it, and that silver reflective coating is the layer of air that's protecting the water from touching the paddle , and it's dry. 如果我把这个桨放在水里, 大家会看到它上面的银色反光涂层 这层银色的反光涂层 就是防止水 弄湿桨的空气层。看,还是干的!
silver:n.银; v.给…镀(或包)银; adj.银色的; reflective:adj.反射的;反映的;沉思的; paddle:n.划桨;明轮翼;vt.拌;搅;用桨划;vi.划桨;戏水;涉水;
So what are the applications? 那么到底有什么用呢?
I mean, many of you right now are probably going through your head. 大部分人现在估计已经在绞尽脑汁了。
Everyone that sees this gets excited, and says, "Oh, I could use it for this and this and this." 每个看到这个兴奋的人都会说, “哦,我可以用它来做这,做那。”
The applications in a general sense could be anything that's anti-wetting. 最基本的应用 就是防水。
in a general sense:广而言之;
We've certainly seen that today. 我们今天已经看到了。
It could be anything that's anti-icing , because if you don't have water, you don't have ice. 它也可以用来防滑。 因为没有水,就没有冰。
anti-icing:[化工]防冻;防冰;
It could be anti-corrosion. 它也可以用来防腐蚀。
No water, no corrosion . 没有水,就没有腐蚀。
corrosion:n.腐蚀;腐蚀产生的物质;衰败;
It could be anti-bacterial . 也可以用来抗菌。
anti-bacterial:抗菌的;
Without water, the bacteria won't survive. 没有水,细菌就不会存活。
And it could be things that need to be self-cleaning as well. 而且也可以用于任何需要保持自我清洁的东西。
self-cleaning:adj.自动清洗的;自洁式的;
So imagine how something like this could help revolutionize your field of work. 让我们来想象一下像这样的东西 会如何帮助改变大家自己的工作。
revolutionize:vt.发动革命;彻底改革;宣传革命;vi.革命化;从事革命;
And I'm going to leave you with one last demonstration, but before I do that, I would like to say thank you, and think small. 接下来是今天最后一个演示 但是首先非常感谢大家, 请着眼小处!
(Applause) (掌声)
It's going to happen. Wait for it. Wait for it. 结果会出来的,等一下,等一下,
Chris Anderson: You guys didn't hear about us cutting out the Design from TED? (Laughter) 主持人:大家没听说我们正换TED的设计呢吧?(笑声)
[Two minutes later...] [两分钟后...]
He ran into all sorts of problems in terms of managing the medical research part. 他在掌握药物研究方面经历了各种困难
It's happening! 结果出来了!
(Applause) (热烈掌声)