返回首页

MarianWrightEdelman_2018W-_一生致力于终结孩童贫困的省思_

Pat Mitchell: I know you don't like that " legend " business. 帕特米谢尔: 我知道你不喜欢被称作「传奇」
Pat:v.合适; n.拍打; adj.过于简易的; v.(喜爱地)轻拍; legend:n.传奇;说明;图例;刻印文字;
Marian Wright Edelman : I don't. 玛丽安莱特埃德尔曼:的确
Wright:n.制作者;工人; Edelman:埃德尔曼;
(Laughter) (笑声)
PM: Why not, Marian? 帕:玛丽安,为什么不喜欢?
Because you are somewhat of a legend. 因为你算是个传奇
somewhat:n.几分;某物;adv.有点;多少;几分;稍微;
You've been doing this for a long time, and you're still there as founder and president. 这事你已经做了很久了 你现在还是基金会的创始人和总裁
founder:vi.失败;沉没;倒塌;变跛;vt.破坏;使摔倒;垮掉;n.创始人;建立者;翻沙工;
MWE: Well, because my daddy raised us and my mother raised us to serve, and we are servant-leaders. 玛:因为我的父母 教我们的就是要服务人 我们是服务型的领导者
And it is not about external things or labels , and I feel like the luckiest person in the world having been born at the intersection of great needs and great injustices and great opportunities to change them. 这不在于外在的东西或标签 我觉得我是世界上最幸运的人 我出生在有极大需求 和极大不公的交叉口 且有极大的机会去改变它们
external:n.外部;外观;形式;外部情况;adj.外部的;外面的;外界的;外来的; labels:n.标签;分类(label的复数形式);v.贴标签于;把…称为(label的三单形式); intersection:n.交叉;十字路口;交集;交叉点; injustices:n.不公正;不讲道义;
So I just feel very grateful that I could serve and make a difference . 所以,我非常感恩 感谢我可以服务他人 让事物有所不同
make a difference:有影响,有关系;
PM: What a beautiful way of saying it. 帕:这样说真美
(Applause) (掌声)
You grew up in the American South, and like all children, a lot of who you became was molded by your parents. 你在美国南方长大 和所有的孩子一样 你会变成什么样的人
molded:adj.模塑的;造形的;
Tell me: What did they teach you about movement-building? 说一下
MWE: I had extraordinary parents. I was so lucky. 玛:我有非常出色的父母 我好幸运
extraordinary:adj.非凡的;特别的;离奇的;临时的;特派的;
My mother was the best organizer I ever knew. 我母亲是我见过最棒的组织者
organizer:n.组织者;承办单位;[生物]组织导体;
And she always insisted, even back then, on having her own dime . 即使在当时 她也总是坚持要有自己的钱
dime:n.一角硬币;
She started her dairy so that she could have her penny, and that sense of independence has certainly been passed on to me. 她开了她自己的乳品店 自己赚钱 那种独立感肯定有传下来给我
dairy:n.奶制品; adj.乳品的; independence:n.独立;独立性;自恃心;独立不羁的精神;
My daddy was a minister , and they were real partners. 我爸爸是牧师 他们是真搭挡
minister:n.部长;大臣;牧师;vi.执行牧师职务;辅助或伺候某人;
And my oldest sibling is a sister, 我最年长的手足是我的姐姐
sibling:n.兄弟姊妹;民族成员;
I'm the youngest, and there are three boys in between. 我是家中最小的 上面还有三个哥哥
But I always knew I was as smart as my brothers. 但我一直都知道 我和我的哥哥们一样聪明
I always was a tomboy . 我一直都很男孩子气
tomboy:n.假小子,行为似男孩的顽皮姑娘;
I always had the same high aspirations that they had. 我一直都跟他们一样 有很高的志向
aspirations:n.愿望;
But most importantly, we were terribly blessed , even though we were growing up in a very segregated small town in South Carolina -- we knew it was wrong. 但,最重要的是 我们非常有福气 即使我们成长的地方 是南卡罗兰那州一个种族隔离 十分严重的小镇 ── 我们知那是错的
blessed:adj.神圣的; v.求上帝降福于; (bless的过去分词和过去式) segregated:adj.被隔离的;v.隔离(segregate的过去式);分离; Carolina:n.卡罗莱纳州(在美国东南部);
I always knew, from the time I was four years old, that I wasn't going to accept being put into slots . 我一直都知道 从四岁起我就知道 我不会接受被放到框框里
slots:n.插槽;老虎机(slot的复数);
But Daddy and Mama always had the sense that it was not us, it was the outside world, but you have the capacity to grow up to change it, and I began to do that very early on. 但爸妈一直都有个观念 问题不在我们 问题不在我们 而在于外面的世界 但你有机会成长 然后去改变它 而我很早就开始这么做了
capacity:n.能力;容量;资格,地位;生产力;
But most importantly, they were the best role models, because they said: if you see a need, don't ask why somebody doesn't do it. 但,最重要的是 他们是最好的模范 因为,他们说: 如果你看到有需要的地方 不要问为什么没人去幫忙
See what you can do. 而要看看你能做什么
There was no home for the aged in our hometown. 在我们的家乡 没有老人之家
And Reverend Reddick, who had what we know now, 50 years later, as Alzheimer's, and he began to wander the streets. 雷迪克牧师得了我们在 五十年后的现在所知的阿兹海默症 他开始在街头游荡
Reverend:n.牧师;adj.可敬的;
And so Daddy and Mama figured out he needed a place to go, so we started a home for the aged. 我父母认为他需要一个去处 所以我们创立了一个老人之家
Children had to cook and clean and serve. 孩子们得要煮菜、清理、服务
We didn't like it at the time, but that's how we learned that it was our obligation to take care of those who couldn't take care of themselves. 那时我们并不喜欢做这些 但我们也因此学到
obligation:n.义务;责任;职责;(已承诺的或法律等规定的)义务;
I had 12 foster sisters and brothers. 我有十二位养兄弟姐妹
foster:vt.培养;养育,抚育;抱(希望等);adj.收养的,养育的;
My mother took them in after we left home, and she took them in before we left home. 我母亲在我们离家前、 离家后收养了他们
And again, whenever you see a need, you try to fulfill it. 同样的,当你发现有需要的地方 就试着去成就它
fulfill:v.执行,贯彻;完成,实现;兑现;达到;起到;
God runs, Daddy used to say, a full employment economy . 以前爸爸总会说 在上帝主导的经济中人人都有工作
employment:n.使用;职业;雇用; economy:n.经济;节约;理财;
(Laughter) (笑声)
And so if you just follow the need, you will never lack for something to do or a real purpose in life. 所以,你只要跟着需要走 你永远不会没事可做 也不缺人生目标
And every issue that the Children's Defense Fund works on today comes out of my childhood in a very personal way. 今天,儿童保护基金 所处理的每一个议题 都来自我的童年 与我息息相关
issue:n.重要议题;争论的问题;v.宣布;公布;发出;发行; Fund:n.基金;资金;存款;v.投资;资助; childhood:n.童年;幼年;孩童时期 personal:adj.个人的;身体的;亲自的;n.人事消息栏;人称代名词;
Little Johnny Harrington , who lived three doors down from me, stepped on a nail; he lived with his grandmother, got tetanus , went to the hospital, no tetanus shots, he died. 住在我家旁边第三间 房子的小强尼哈林顿 踩到了一根钉子 他和他的祖母同住 他得了破伤风去医院
Harrington:n.哈灵顿(澳大利亚等国家的地名); tetanus:n.[内科]破伤风;强直;
He was 11 years old. 他才十一岁
I remember that. 我记得很清楚
An accident in front of our highway, turns out to have been two white truck drivers and a migrant family that happened to be black. 在我们家前的公路上发生起意外 发现是有两名白人卡车司机 还有一个移民家庭 而他们刚好是黑人
migrant:n.候鸟;移居者;随季节迁移的民工;adj.移居的;流浪的;
We all ran out to help. 我们全都跑去幫忙
It was in the front of a church, and the ambulance came, saw that the white truck drivers were not injured , saw the black migrant workers were, turned around and left them. 那是在教堂前面 救护车来了 看到白人卡车司机没有受伤 看到黑人移工有受伤 便转身离开,丢下他们
ambulance:n.救护车; injured:adj.受伤的:委屈的: v.伤害,使受伤: n.伤员;
I never forgot that. 我永远不会忘记这件事
And immunizations was one of the first things 我在儿童保护基金最先
immunizations:n.免疫接种;防疫注射(immunization的复数形式);
I worked on at the Children's Defense Fund to make sure that every child gets immunized against preventable diseases . 开始的事工之一就是免疫接种 确保每个孩子 对可预防的疾病都有免疫接种
immunized:adj.免疫的;v.使免疫(immunize的过去式,过去分词形式); preventable:adj.可预防的;可阻止的;可防止的; diseases:n.[医]病(disease的复数);[医]疾病;[植保]病害;疾病种类;
Unequal schools ... 不平等的学校...
Unequal:adj.不平等的;不规则的;不胜任的;n.不等同的事物;
(Applause) (掌声)
Separate and unequal, hand-me-downs from the white schools. 隔离且不平等 是从白人学校传下来的
hand-me-downs:adj.传下来的;现成而价廉质次的;n.传下来的东西;现成的廉价衣服;
But we always had books in our house. 但我们的家里都一定有书
Daddy was a great reader. 爸爸是个很棒的读者
He used to make me read every night with him. 以前,他会要我 每晚和他一起读书
I'd have to sit for 15 or 20 minutes. 我得要读 15 或 20 分钟
One day I put a "True Confessions " inside a "Life Magazine" 有一天,我在《生活杂志》中 夹了一本《真情天外来》
Confessions:n.自白,招供;忏悔录(confession的复数形式);
and he asked me to read it out loud. 他要我大声念出来
I never read a "True Confessions" again. 我从此再也不读 《真情天外来》了
(Laughter) (笑声)
But they were great readers. 但父母亲是很棒的读者
We always had books before we had a second pair of shoes, and that was very important. 我们总是先买书 然后才有第二双鞋子 那非常的重要
And although we had hand-me-down books for the black schools and hand-me-down everythings, it was a great need. 虽然我们有黑人学校的二手书 还有各种二手的东西 但我们非常地需要书
He made it clear that reading was the window to the outside world, and so that was a great gift from them. 他说得很明白 阅读是通往外面世界的一扇窗 所以,这是他们给我的 一个很棒的礼物
But the reinforced lesson was that God runs a full employment economy, and that if you just follow the need, you will never lack for a purpose in life, and that has been so for me. 但更深刻教训则是 上帝主导的经济中人人有工作 你只要跟着需要走 你永远不会缺人生目标 对我而言这一向是如此
reinforced:adj.加固的;加强的;加筋的;v.加强;增援;(reinforce的过去式和过去分词)
We had a very segregated small town. 我们的小镇种族隔离非常严重
I was a rebel from the time I was four or five. 我从四或五岁时就很叛逆
rebel:n.反政府的人;叛乱者;造反者;反抗权威者;v.造反;反抗;背叛;adj.造反的;
I went out to a department store and there was "white" and "black" water signs, but I didn't know that and didn't pay much attention to that, and I was with one of my Sunday school teachers. 我跑出去到一间百货公司 饮用水上有「白人」 和「黑人」的标志 但我不知道,也没有多注意 我和一位主日学校的老师同行
department store:n.百货公司;大百货商店; Sunday school:n.主日学校(基督教堂或犹太教堂在星期日为儿童提供宗教教育);
I drank out of the wrong water fountain , and she jerked me away, and I didn't know what had happened, and then she explained to me about black and white water. 我喝水时用错了饮水机 她猛力把我拉开 我不知道发生了什么事 然后她向我解释 水也有分黑人用的和白人用的
water fountain:un.海水喷涌;喷水; jerked:v.急拉;猛推;猝然一动(jerk的过去分词和过去式) black and white:adj.印刷的;黑白混合的;用笔写的;
I didn't know that, and after that, 我之前不知道这些
I went home, took my little wounded psyche to my parents, and told them what had happened, and said, "What's wrong with me?" 之后我回到家,带着我那 受伤的小小心灵去找我父母 告诉他们发生了什么事 并说:「我有什么问题?」
wounded:adj.受伤的; n.伤员; v.使受伤; (wound的过去分词和过去式) psyche:n.灵魂;心智;
And they said, "It wasn't much wrong with you. 他们说:「你没有什么问题 有问题的是体制」
It's what's wrong with the system." 我后来不论到哪里
And I used to go then secretly and switch water signs everywhere I went. 我后来不论到哪里都会偷偷把饮用水的标志对调
(Laughter) (笑声)
And it felt so good. 那感觉真好
(Applause) (掌声)
PM: There is no question that this legend is a bit of a rebel, and has been for a long time. 帕:毋庸置疑 这个传奇的确有点叛逆 且从很久以前就是如此了
So you started your work as an attorney and with the Civil Rights Movement , and you worked with Dr. King on the original Poor People's Campaign. 你开始了律师的工作 并参与「非裔美国人民权运动」 而你和金恩博士也在 最早的「穷人运动」合作过
attorney:n.律师(尤指代表当事人出庭者);(业务或法律事务上的)代理人; Civil Rights Movement:n.(美国)民权运动(20世纪50年代和60年代非裔美国人争取平等权利的运动); original:n.原件;原作;原物;原型;adj.原始的;最初的;独创的;新颖的;
And then you made this decision, 45 years ago, to set up a national advocacy campaign for children. 接着,四十五年前 你决定组织一个全国性 为孩子发声的运动
advocacy:n.主张;拥护;辩护;
Why did you choose that particular service, to children? 为什么你特别选定 这样服务,为孩子?
MWE: Well, because so many of the things that I saw in Mississippi and across the South had to do with children. 玛:嗯,因为我在密西西比州 以及南方各地看到的许多事 都和孩子有关
I saw children with bloated bellies in this country who were close to starvation , who were hungry, who were without clothes, and nobody wanted to believe that there were children who were starving, and that's a slow process . 我在这个国家看过 孩子的腹部膨胀起来 濒临饿死 他们很饥饿 他们没有衣服 而没有人愿意相信 有孩子在挨饿 那是个缓慢的过程
bloated:adj.膨胀的; v.(使)膨胀,肿胀; (bloat的过去分词和过去式) bellies:n.腹部; v.张满; (belly的第三人称单数和复数) starvation:n.饿死;挨饿;绝食; process:v.处理;加工;列队行进;n.过程,进行;方法,adj.经过特殊加工(或处理)的;
And nobody wanted to listen. 没有人想要听
Every congressman that would come to Mississippi, 只要有国会议员来到密西西比
congressman:n.国会议员;众议院议员;
I'd say, "Go see," and most of them didn't want to do anything about it. 我就会说:「去看看」 而他们通常都不想为此做什么
But I saw grinding poverty . 但我看到完全的贫困
grinding:adj.没完没了的; v.磨碎; (grind的现在分词) poverty:n.贫困;困难;缺少;低劣;
The state of Mississippi wanted, during voter registration efforts -- and with outside white kids coming in to help black citizens register to vote -- they wanted everybody to leave the state, so they were trying to starve them out. 密西西比州想要 ── 那时正在幫选民登记 加上其他州的白人小孩 他们想要每个人都离开这个州 他们想让他们饿死
voter:n.选举人,投票人;有投票权者; registration:n.登记;注册;挂号; register:v.登记;注册;记录;n.登记簿;登记表;注册簿;
And they switched from free food commodities to food stamps that cost two dollars. 他们出售政府提供的免费食品 要价二美元的食物券
commodities:n.商品(commodity的复数);日用品;商品期货;
People had no income, and nobody in America wanted to believe that there was anybody in America without any income. 人们没有收入 而美国没有人想要相信 在美国会有人没有任何收入
Well, I knew hundreds of them, thousands of them. 我知道数百个、数千个没收入的人
And malnutrition was becoming a big problem. 营养不良已成为一大问题
malnutrition:n.营养失调,营养不良;
And so one of these days came Dr. King down on a number of things we were fighting to get the Head Start program -- which the state of Mississippi turned down -- refinanced . 有一天,金恩博士到了南部 我们在为一些事抗争 我们要幫「启蒙计画」 ── 一个被州政府拒绝的计画 再次筹款
Head Start:领先;抢先起步的优势;有利的开端; refinanced:vt.再供…资金;再为…筹钱;
And he went into a center that the poor community was running without any help, and he saw a teacher carve up an apple for eight or 10 children, and he had to run out, because he was in tears. 他进入一个由贫穷社区 在没有协助的情况下所经营的中心 他看到一位老师把一个苹果 切瓣分给 8 到 10 个孩子 他必须要跑到外头去 因为他已泪流满面
community:n.社区;[生态]群落;共同体;团体; carve:vt.雕刻;切开;开创;vi.切开;做雕刻工作;
He couldn't believe it. 他无法置信
But only when Robert Kennedy decided he would come -- 但当罗伯特甘乃迪决定要来时
I had gone to testify about the Head Start program, because they were attacking. 我开始为「启蒙计画」辩护 因为他们在攻击它
testify:v.证明,证实;作证;
And I asked, please, come and see yourself, and when you come and see, see hungry people and see starving children. 我说:拜托,请你们自己来看看 当你们来看时 看看饥饿的人 看看饿坏的孩子
And they came, and he brought the press, and that began to get the movement going. 他们来了 他带了媒体来 在那之后 这运动才开始动起来
But they wanted to push all the poor people to go north and to get away from being voters. 但他们想要把所有 贫穷的人推到北方去 不要来投票
And I'm proud of Mike Espy . 我为麦克艾斯比感到骄傲
Espy:vt.看到;认出;发现;
Even though he lost last night, he'll win one of these days. 昨晚他虽然输了 但他总有一天会赢的
(Applause) (掌声)
But you wouldn't have seen such grinding poverty, and the outside white kids who'd come in to help register voters in the 1964 Summer Project where we lost those three young men. 但,你本来并不会看到 如此完全的贫困 还有其他州的白人小孩 参与 1964 年的「自由之夏」计画 来协助登记投票
But once they left, the press left, and there was just massive need, and people were trying to push the poor out. 但在他们离开后 媒体也离开了 只剩下非常多 需要幫助的缺口 大家试着要把穷人给推出去
massive:adj.大量的;巨大的,厚重的;魁伟的;
And so, you know, Head Start came, and we applied for it, because the state turned it down. 所以,你知道的 「启蒙计画」开始实施 我们去申请 因为州政府把它驳回
applied:adj.应用的;实用的;v.应用;使用;申请,请求;(apply的过去分词和过去式)
And that's true of a lot of states that don't take Medicaid these days. 很多不接受 美国医疗保险的州都是如此
Medicaid:n.(美)医疗补助计划;
And we ran the largest Head Start program in the nation, and it changed their lives. 我们做的「启蒙计画」 是全国最大的 它改变了他们的生命
They had books that had children who looked like them in it, and we were attacked all over the place. 他们书里面的孩子 长的和他们一样 而我们被攻击得体无完肤
But the bottom line was that Mississippi gave birth to the Children's Defense Fund in many ways, and it also occurred to me that children and preventive investment , and avoiding costly care and failure and neglect , was a more strategic way to proceed . 总之 就许多层面上来说密西西比州 让儿童保护基金诞生了 我也出现这样的想法: 预防性投资 与避免昂贵的照护、失败和忽视 才是有助于成功迈进的方法
the bottom line:底线;本质内容;最底线; occurred:v.发生;出现;存在于;出现在;(occur的过去分词和过去式) preventive:n.预防药;预防法;adj.预防的,防止的; investment:n.投资;投入;封锁; costly:adj.昂贵的;代价高的; neglect:v.忽视;忽略;疏忽;疏于照顾;n.忽视;忽略;未被重视; strategic:adj.战略上的,战略的; proceed:n.收入;卖得金额;收益;v.继续;接着做;行进;前往;
And so the Children's Defense Fund was born out of the Poor People's Campaign. 儿童保护基金 是穷人运动的产物
But it was pretty clear that whatever you called black independent or brown independent was going to have a shrinking constituency . 但很清楚的是 不论你怎么称呼 叫黑人独立也好 叫混血独立也好 选区将会被缩小
independent:adj.独立的; n.无党派议员(或候选人等); shrinking:v.(使)缩水,收缩,缩小,退缩;(shrink的现在分词) constituency:n.(选区的)选民;支持者;(一批)顾客;
And who can be mad at a two-month-old baby or at a two-year-old toddler ? 谁会对两个月大的婴孩 或两岁的婴儿生气?
toddler:n.学步的小孩;幼童装;
A lot of people can be. 很多人会
They don't want to feed them, neither, from what we've seen. 就我们看 他们谁都不想喂
But it was the right judgment to make. 但那是对的决定
judgment:n.判断;裁判;判决书;辨别力;
And so out of the privilege of serving as the Poor People's Campaign coordinator for policy for two years, and there were two of them, and it was not a failure, because the seeds of change get planted and have to have people who are scut workers and follow up. 我有幸在「穷人运动」 担任两年的政策协调员 ── 那时我们有有两位 那运动不是个失败 因为改变的种子已被种下 它需要有刻苦耐劳人来贯彻到底
privilege:n.特权;优待;v.给与…特权;特免; coordinator:n.协调者;[自]协调器;同等的人或物; policy:n.政策,方针;保险单; scut:n.短尾;可鄙的人;单调枯燥的粗话;
And I'm a good scut worker and a persistent person. 我十分的刻苦耐劳 我也是个持之以恒的人
persistent:adj.固执的,坚持的;持久稳固的;
And you know, as a result , 因为这样
as a result:结果;
I would say that all those people on food stamps today ought to thank those poor people in the mud in Resurrection City. 我觉得今天所有领食物券的人 都该感谢那些在复活市奋斗的穷人
Resurrection:n.复活;恢复;复兴;
But it takes a lot of follow-up , detailed work -- and never going away. 但那需要很多缜密的后续工作 ──
follow-up:adj.后续的;增补的;n.随访;跟进;后续行动;
PM: And you've been doing it for 45 years, and you've seen some amazing outcomes . 帕:你做这事已有45年 你也看过一些美妙的成果
outcomes:n.结果;成果;后果;出路;(outcome的复数)
What are you proudest of out of the Children's Defense Fund? 对于儿童保护基金 你最引以为傲的是什么?
MWE: Well, I think the children now have sort of become a mainstream issue. 玛:我想儿童在现今 大概已是个主流议题了
mainstream:n.主流;
We have got lots of new laws. 我们引进了许多新法条
Millions of children are getting food. 数百万的孩子现在有食物吃
Millions of children are getting a head start. 数百万的孩子得受启蒙
Millions of children are getting Head Start and have gotten a head start, and the Child Health Insurance Program, CHIP , 数百万的孩子接受了「启蒙计画」 也有了起跑优势 还有儿童健保计画
Insurance:n.保险;保险业;保险费;保费;adj.胜券在握的; CHIP:v.削,凿;削成碎片;剥落;碎裂;n.[电子]芯片;筹码;碎片;(食物的)小片;薄片;
Medicaid expansions for children. 美国医疗保险也扩及至儿童
expansions:n.[数]扩展(expansion的复数形式);
We've been trying to reform the child welfare system for decades. 我们试着改造儿福系统已有数十年
reform:v.改革;改进;改良;(使)悔改;n.改革;改良;改善; welfare:n.福祉;(政府给予的)福利;
We finally got a big breakthrough this year, and it says, be ready with the proposals when somebody's ready to move, and sometimes it takes five years, 10 years, 20 years, but you're there. 我们在今年终于有个重大突破 这是「把你的提案准备好 等待有人要开始改变的时刻」 这有时要花上 5 年,10 年 或 20 年,但你做到了
finally:adv.终于;最终;(用于列举)最后;彻底地; breakthrough:n.突破;开始取得成功之时;adj.突破性的; proposals:n.建议书(Proposal的复数);求婚;
I've been trying to keep children out of foster care and out of institutions and with their families, with preventive services. 我一直试着不让孩子 进到寄养和照顾机构中 让他们可以和家人同住 并提供预防性服务
institutions:n.机构;慈善机构;风俗习惯,制度;(institution的复数)
That got passed. 这提议被通过了
But there are millions of children who have hope, who have access to early childhood. 数百万的孩子有了希望 他们有了早期教育
Now, we are not finished, and we are not going to ever feel finished until we end child poverty in the richest nation on earth. 现在我们还没有完成 直到儿童贫困不再出现于 这世上最富有的国家为止
It's just ridiculous that we have to be demanding that. 这还要我们去要求 实在是可笑
ridiculous:adj.可笑的;荒谬的;
(Applause) (掌声)
PM: And there are so many of the problems in spite of the successes, and thank you for going through some of them, Marian -- the Freedom Schools, the generations of children now who have gone through Children's Defense Fund programs. 帕:尽管有些成功 许多地问题依然存在 玛丽安,谢谢你为我们走过这一些 自由学校 现在好几世代的儿童 得以参与儿童保护基金的计画
in spite of:尽管;不管,不顾;
But when you look around the world, in this country, the United States, and in other countries, there are still so many problems. 但当你看看世界 在这个国家,美国 还有其他的国家里 还存在着好多问题
United:adj.联合的; v.联合,团结; (unite的过去分词和过去式)
What worries you the most? 什么使你最担心?
MWE: What worries me is how irresponsible we adults in power have been in passing on a healthier earth. 玛:在把更健康的世界 交给下一代这事上 我们有能力的大人 不负责任的态度令我担心
irresponsible:adj.不负责任的;不可靠的;
And it worries me when I read the " Bulletin of Atomic Scientists" 当我读《原子科学家公报》
Bulletin:n.公告,公报;vt.公布,公告; Atomic:adj.原子的,原子能的;微粒子的;
and see now that we are two minutes from midnight, and that's gotten closer. 然后看到我们再两过分钟 就要到午夜,我便很担心 这又更近了
We have put our future and our children's future and safety at risk in a world that is still too much governed by violence . 在这个被过多 暴力统治的世界 我们拿我们孩子的未来 和安全当赌注
violence:n.暴力;侵犯;激烈;歪曲;
We must end that. 我们得终结这事
We must stop investing in war and start investing in the young and in peace, and we are really so far away from doing that. 我们得停止在战争上投资 转而投资年轻世代与和平 我们离那一步还好远
investing:v.投资;投入(时间、精力等);(invest的现在分词)
(Applause) (掌声)
And I don't want my grandchildren to have to fight these battles all over again, and so I get more radical . 我不想让我的孙子女 还得再次为这些事来抗争 所以我变得更激进
radical:n.自由基;激进分子;游离基;adj.根本的;彻底的;完全的;全新的;
The older I get, the more radical I get, because there are just some things that we as adults have to do for the next generations. 我越老越激进 因为有些事是我们大人 得为下一代做的
And I looked at the sacrifices of Mrs. Hamer and all those people in Mississippi who risked their lives to give us a better life. 当我看到海默女士的牺牲 还有那些在密西西比州 为了要给我们更好的生活 而冒自己生命的人
sacrifices:n.牺牲,损失; v.牺牲,损失(sacrifice的单三形式);
But the United States has got to come to grips with its failure to invest in its children, and it's the Achilles' heel of this nation. 美国要为未能投资 自己的儿童这事来努力 这是我们国家的致命伤
come to grips with:去面对,着手处理; heel:n.脚后跟;足跟;卑鄙的家伙;v.给(鞋等)修理后跟;倾侧;倾斜
How can you be one of the biggest economies in the world and you let 13.2 million children go live in poverty, and you let children go homeless when you've got the means to do it? 你身为全世界 数一数二有钱的国家 怎么会让 1300 万的孩童 活在贫困之中 让孩童无家可归 而其实,你是有办法解决的
economies:n.经济;经济结构;节约;(economy的复数)
We've got to rethink who we are as a people, be an example for the world. 我们得重新思考身为 这个国家人民的意义 成为世界的榜样
rethink:v.重新考虑;再想;n.重新考虑;反思;新想法;
There should be no poverty. 贫穷不该存在
In fact, we want to say we're going to end poverty in the world. 其实我们要说 我们要终结世上的贫穷
Just start at home. 就从美国开始
And we've made real progress, but it's such hard work, and it's going to be our Achilles' heel. 我们已有十足的进展 但那实在很艰难 这将是我们的弱点
We should stop giving more tax cuts, sorry folks, to billionaires rather than to babies and their health care . 我们应该停止给百万富豪减税 大伙儿抱歉啦我们应该把钱放在婴孩 和他们的健康照护上
billionaires:亿万富翁(billionaire的复数); health care:n.卫生保健;
We should get our priorities straight. 我们该把先后次序搞清楚
priorities:n.优先事项;优先权;重点;(priority的复数)
(Applause) (掌声)
That's not right, and it's not cost-effective . 给富人减税是不对的 而且那不符合成本效益
cost-effective:adj.划算的;成本效益好的(等于cost-efficient);
And the key to this country is going to be an educated child population, and yet we've got so many children who cannot read or write at the most basic levels. 受教育儿童的人数是这个国家关键 而我们却有好多的孩童 无法读或写最基本的东西
at the most:至多,不超过;
We're investing in the wrong things, and I wouldn't be upset about anybody having one billion, 10 billion [US dollars], if there were no hungry children, if there were no homeless children, if there were no uneducated children. 我们在错误的东西上投资 我不会对拥有十亿 或一百亿元的人生气 只要我们没有饥饿的儿童 只要我们没有无家可归的儿童 只要我们没有未受教育的儿童
upset:adj.沮丧; v.打乱; n.苦恼; (意外的)混乱; uneducated:adj.无知的;未受教育的;v.未受教育(uneducate的过去式和过去分词);
And so it's really about what does it mean to live and lead this life. 这其实在于我们如何过这一生
Why were we put on this earth? 我们为什么被放在这地球上?
We were put on this earth to make things better for the next generations. 我们之所以被放在地球上
And here we're worrying about climate change and global warming . 我们在担心气候变迁 和全球暖化
global warming:n.全球(气候)变暖;地球大气层变暖;
And we're looking at, again, I constantly cite -- 我们也看到,我重申── 如我时常提及的
constantly:adv.不断地;时常地; cite:v.引用;援引;引述;提及(原因);n.引文;
I look at that "Bulletin of Atomic Scientists" every year. 我每年都看《原子科学家公报》
And it says now: "Two minutes to midnight." 它现在说:「两分钟到午夜」
Are we out of our minds, adults, about passing on a better a world to our children? 大人们,我们疯了吗? 难道我们不要将 更好的世界交给下一代吗?
That's what our purpose is, to leave a better world for everybody, and the concept of enough for everybody. 我们的使命就是把一个 更好的世界留给所有的人 并拥有「够每个人用」的概念
There should be no hungry children in this world with the rich wealth that we have. 以我们的财富 这世上不该有饥饿的儿童 只要我们没有无家可归的儿童
wealth:n.财富;大量;富有;
And so I can't think of a bigger cause, and I think that I'm driven by my faith . 我想不到更大的使命 我想我的信仰激励了我
faith:n.信心;信任;宗教信仰;
And it's been a privilege to serve, but I always had the best role models in the world. 能够服务一向是我的榮幸 我总有着世上最棒的模范
Daddy always said God runs a full employment economy, and that if you just follow the need, you'll never lack for a purpose in life. 爸爸总是说 上帝主导的经济人人有工作 倘若你跟着需要走 你永远不会缺少人生的目标
And I watched the partnership -- because my mother was a true partner. 我看见这样的合作── 因为我母亲是个真正的伙伴
partnership:n.合伙;[经管]合伙企业;合作关系;合伙契约;
I always knew I was as smart as my brothers, at least. 我一直都知道我和哥哥一样聪明
And we always knew that we were not just to be about ourselves, but that we were here to serve. 最少我们一直都知道我们不只是关心自己 我们还要服务别人
PM: Well, Marian, I want to say, on behalf of all the world's children, thank you for your passion , your purpose and your advocacy. 帕:玛丽安,谨代表全世界的孩子 我想说:谢谢你的热忱 你的使命和你的发声
on behalf of:代表;为了; passion:n.激情;热情;酷爱;盛怒;
(Applause) (掌声)