返回首页

MargaretMitchell_2017S-_如何建立人工智慧来协助,而不是伤害人类_

I work on helping computers communicate about the world around us. 我的工作是在协助电脑 和我们周遭的世界交流。
There are a lot of ways to do this, and I like to focus on helping computers to talk about what they see and understand. 要这么做,有很多方式, 我喜欢聚焦在协助电脑 来谈它们看见什么、了解什么。
Given a scene like this, a modern computer-vision algorithm can tell you that there's a woman and there's a dog. 给予一个这样的情景, 一个现代电脑视觉演算法 就能告诉你情景中 有一个女子和一只狗。
It can tell you that the woman is smiling. 它能告诉你,女子在微笑。
It might even be able to tell you that the dog is incredibly cute. 它甚至可能可以告诉你, 那只狗相当可爱。
incredibly:adv.难以置信地;非常地;
I work on this problem thinking about how humans understand and process the world. 我处理这个问题时 脑中想的是人类如何 了解和处理这个世界。
process:v.处理;加工;列队行进;n.过程,进行;方法,adj.经过特殊加工(或处理)的;
The thoughts, memories and stories that a scene like this might evoke for humans. 对人类而言,这样的情景有可能会 唤起什么样的思想、记忆、故事。
evoke:vt.引起,唤起;博得;
All the interconnections of related situations. 相关情况的所有相互连结。
interconnections:n.相互连接;彼此连系;
Maybe you've seen a dog like this one before, or you've spent time running on a beach like this one, and that further evokes thoughts and memories of a past vacation, past times to the beach, times spent running around with other dogs. 也许你以前看过像这样的狗, 或者你曾花时间在 像这样的海滩上跑步, 那就会进一步唤起一个 过去假期的思想和记忆, 过去在海滩的时光, 花在和其他狗儿到处奔跑的时间。
evokes:vt.引起,唤起;博得;
One of my guiding principles is that by helping computers to understand what it's like to have these experiences, to understand what we share and believe and feel, 我的指导原则之一, 是要协助电脑了解 有这些经验是什么样的感觉, 去了解我们共有什么、 相信什么、感受到什么,
principles:n.原则;主义;本质;政策;(principle的复数)
then we're in a great position to start evolving computer technology in a way that's complementary with our own experiences. 那么,我们就有很好的机会 可以开始让电脑科技 以一种和我们自身经验 互补的方式来演化。
evolving:v.(使)逐渐形成,逐渐演变;进化形成;(evolve的现在分词) technology:n.技术;工艺;术语; complementary:adj.补足的,补充的;
So, digging more deeply into this, a few years ago I began working on helping computers to generate human-like stories from sequences of images . 所以,我更深入研究这主题, 几年前,我开始努力协助 电脑产生出像人类一样的故事, 从一连串的影像来产生。
generate:v.产生;引起; sequences:n.[数][计]序列,顺序;继起的事(sequence的复数形式); images:n.印象;声誉;形象;画像;雕像;(image的第三人称单数和复数)
So, one day, 有一天,
I was working with my computer to ask it what it thought about a trip to Australia. 我在问我的电脑,它对于 去澳洲旅行有什么想法。
It took a look at the pictures, and it saw a koala. 它看了照片,看见一只无尾熊。
It didn't know what the koala was, but it said it thought it was an interesting-looking creature . 它不知道无尾熊是什么, 但它说它认为这是一只 看起来很有趣的生物。
creature:n.生物;动物;(具有某种特征的)人;
Then I shared with it a sequence of images about a house burning down. 我和它分享了一系列的图片, 都和房子被烧毁有关。
It took a look at the images and it said, "This is an amazing view! This is spectacular !" 它看了那些图片,说: 「这是好棒的景色!这好壮观!」
spectacular:adj.壮观的;壮丽的;令人惊叹的;n.壮观的场面;精彩的表演;
It sent chills down my spine . 它让我背脊发凉。
chills:n.寒冷; v.使变冷; spine:n.脊柱,脊椎;刺;书脊;
It saw a horrible , life-changing and life-destroying event and thought it was something positive . 它看着一个会改变人生、 摧毁生命的可怕事件, 却以为它是很正面的东西。
horrible:可怕的,极讨厌的, life-changing:改变人生的; positive:adj.积极的;[数]正的,[医][化学]阳性的;确定的;n.正数;[摄]正片;
I realized that it recognized the contrast , the reds, the yellows, and thought it was something worth remarking on positively . 我了解到,它能认出对比反差、 红色、黄色, 然后就认为它是 值得正面评论的东西。
recognized:v.认识;认出;辨别出;承认;意识到;(recognize的过去分词和过去式) contrast:n.对比;对照;反差;明显的差异;v.对比;对照;形成对比; remarking:n.评论;v.评论,注意(remark的现在分词形式); positively:adv.肯定地;明确地;断然地;
And part of why it was doing this was because most of the images I had given it were positive images. 它这么做的部分原因, 是因为我给它的大多数图片 都是正面的图片。
That's because people tend to share positive images when they talk about their experiences. 那是因为人在谈论他们的经验时, 本来就倾向会分享正面的图片。
When was the last time you saw a selfie at a funeral ? 你上次看到在葬礼上的 自拍照是何时?
selfie:n.自拍照; funeral:n.葬礼;麻烦事;adj.丧葬的,出殡的;
I realized that, as I worked on improving AI task by task, dataset by dataset, that I was creating massive gaps, holes and blind spots in what it c ould understand. 我了解到,当我努力 在改善人工智慧, 一个任务一个任务、一个资料集 一个资料集地改善, 结果我却在「它能了解什么」上 创造出了大量的隔阂、 漏洞,以及盲点。
improving:v.改进;改善;(improve的现在分词) dataset:na.数据集;数传机;
And while doing so, 这么做的时候,
I was encoding all kinds of biases . 我是在把各种偏见做编码。
encoding:n.[计]编码;v.[计]编码(encode的ing形式); biases:n.偏差,偏见(bias的复数形式);v.偏见(bias的三单形式);
Biases that reflect a limited viewpoint , limited to a single dataset -- biases that can reflect human biases found in the data, such as prejudice and stereotyping . 这些偏见反映出受限的观点, 受限于单一资料集── 这些偏见能反应出 在资料中的人类偏见, 比如偏袒以及刻板印象。
reflect:v.反映;映出(影像);反射;表明,表达; limited:adj.有限的; n.高级快车; v.限制; (limit的过去分词和过去式) viewpoint:n.观点;角度;看法; prejudice:n.偏见;侵害;vt.损害;使有偏见; stereotyping:n.刻板印象;浇版;v.把…浇铸成铅版;使成为陈规(stereotype的现在分词);
I thought back to the evolution of the technology that brought me to where I was that day -- how the first color images were calibrated against a white woman's skin, meaning that color photography was biased against black faces. 我回头去想一路带我走到 那个时点的科技演化── 第一批彩色影像如何 根据一个白种女子的皮肤来做校准, 这表示,彩色照片对于 黑皮肤脸孔是有偏见的。
evolution:n.演变;进化;发展;渐进; calibrated:v.标定,校准(刻度,以使测量准确);(calibrate的过去式和过去分词) photography:n.摄影;摄影术; biased:adj.有偏见的;结果偏倚的,有偏的;
And that same bias, that same blind spot continued well into the '90s. 同样的偏见,同样的盲点, 持续涌入了九○年代。
blind spot:n.视线盲区(尤指车辆驾驶员看不见的路段);无视;没有认识;
And the same blond spot continues even today in how well we can recognize different people's faces in facial recognition technology. 而同样的盲点甚至持续到现今, 出现在我们对于不同人的 脸部辨识能力中, 在人脸辨识技术中。
blond:adj.(头发)亚麻色的;白肤金发碧眼的;(家具等)浅色的;n.白肤金发碧眼人; facial:adj.面部的,表面的;脸的,面部用的;n.美容,美颜;脸部按摩; recognition:n.识别;认识;承认;认可;
I though about the state of the art in research today, where we tend to limit our thinking to one dataset and one problem. 我思考了现今在研究上发展水平, 我们倾向会把我们的思路限制 在一个资料集或一个问题上。
state of the art:adj.最先进的;已经发展的;达到最高水准的;
And that in doing so, we were creating more blind spots and biases that the AI could further amplify . 这么做时,我们就会 创造出更多盲点和偏见, 它们可能会被人工智慧给放大。
amplify:vt.放大,扩大;增强;详述;vi.详述;
I realized then that we had to think deeply about how the technology we work on today looks in five years, in 10 years. 那时,我了解到,我们必须要 深入思考我们现今努力发展的科技, 在五年、十年后会是什么样子。
Humans evolve slowly, with time to correct for issues in the interaction of humans and their environment. 人类演进很慢,有时间可以去修正 在人类互动以及其环境中的议题。
evolve:v.(使)逐渐形成;进化;进化形成; issues:n.重要议题;争论的问题;v.宣布;公布;发出;(issue的第三人称单数和复数) interaction:n.[计]交互,相互作用;相互交流;干扰;
In contrast, artificial intelligence is evolving at an incredibly fast rate. 相对的,人工智慧的 演进速度非常快。
artificial intelligence:n.人工智能;
And that means that it really matters that we think about this carefully right now -- that we reflect on our own blind spots, our own biases, and think about how that's informing the technology we're creating and discuss what the technology of today will mean for tomorrow. 那就意味着,很重要的是 我们现在要如何仔细思考这件事── 我们要反省我们自己的盲点, 我们自己的偏见, 并想想它们带给我们所 创造出的科技什么样的资讯, 并讨论现今的科技在 将来代表的是什么意涵。
reflect on:仔细考虑,思考;反省;回想,回顾;怀疑; informing:v.知会;通知;通告;了解;熟悉;对…有影响(inform的现在分词)
CEOs and scientists have weighed in on what they think the artificial intelligence technology of the future will be. 对于未来的人工智慧 应该是什么样子, 执行长和科学家的意见 是很有份量的。
Stephen Hawking warns that "Artificial intelligence could end mankind ." 史蒂芬霍金警告过: 「人工智慧可能终结人类。」
Hawking:n.利用鹰行猎;v.袭击;翱翔;攫取(hawk的现在分词); mankind:n.人类;男性;
Elon Musk warns that it's an existential risk and one of the greatest risks that we face as a civilization . 伊隆马斯克警告过, 它是个生存风险, 也是我们人类文明所 面临最大的风险之一。
Elon:n.埃伦(可溶性显影剂粉末); Musk:n.麝香;麝香鹿;麝香香味; existential:adj.存在主义的;有关存在的;存在判断的; civilization:n.文明;文明社会;文明世界;(特定时期和地区的)社会文明;
Bill Gates has made the point, "I don't understand why people aren't more concerned ." 比尔盖兹有个论点: 「我不了解为什么 人们不更关心一点。」
concerned:adj.有关的;关心的;v.关心;与…有关;(concern的过去时和过去分词)
But these views -- they're part of the story. 但,这些看法── 它们是故事的一部分。
The math, the models, the basic building blocks of artificial intelligence are something that we call access and all work with. 数学、模型, 人工智慧的基础材料 是我们所有人都能够取得并使用的。
building blocks:(儿童玩的)积木;建筑砌块;堆积木;建筑砖块;基石;
We have open-source tools for machine learning and intelligence that we can contribute to . 我们有机器学习和智慧用的 开放原始码工具, 我们都能对其做出贡献。
open-source:adj.(计算机)开放源代码; contribute to:有助于;捐献;
And beyond that, we can share our experience. 在那之外,我们可以 分享我们的经验。
We can share our experiences with technology and how it concerns us and how it excites us. 分享关于科技、它如何影响我们、 它如何让我们兴奋的经验。
concerns:n.关注; v.使关心(concern的三单形式);
We can discuss what we love. 我们可以讨论我们所爱的。
We can communicate with foresight about the aspects of technology that could be more beneficial or could be more problematic over time. 我们能带着远见来交流, 谈谈关于科技有哪些面向,
foresight:n.先见,远见;预见;深谋远虑; aspects:n.方面;相位;面貌(aspect的复数); beneficial:adj.有益的,有利的;可享利益的; problematic:adj.问题的;有疑问的;不确定的;
If we all focus on opening up the discussion on AI with foresight towards the future, this will help create a general conversation and awareness about what AI is now, what it can become and all the things that we need to do in order to enable that outcome that best suits us. 若我们都能把焦点放在 这就能创造出一般性的谈话和意识, 关于人工智慧现在是什么样子、 它未来可以变成什么样子, 以及所有我们需要做的事, 以产生出最适合我们的结果。
opening up:n.解禁;开放;供开发;启用; awareness:n.意识,认识;明白,知道; enable:v.使能够;使有机会;使成为可能;使可行; outcome:n.结果,结局;成果;
We already see and know this in the technology that we use today. 我们已经在现今我们所使用的 科技中看见这一点了。
We use smart phones and digital assistants and Roombas. 我们用智慧手机、数位助理, 以及扫地机器人。
digital:adj.数字的;手指的;n.数字;键;
Are they evil ? 它们邪恶吗?
evil:adj.邪恶的;不幸的;有害的;讨厌的;n.罪恶,邪恶;不幸;
Maybe sometimes. 也许有时候。
Are they beneficial? 它们有助益吗?
Yes, they're that, too. 是的,这也是事实。
And they're not all the same . 且它们并非全都一样的。
all the same:仍然:依然:照样:
And there you already see a light shining on what the future holds. 你们已经看到未来 可能性的一丝光芒。
The future continues on from what we build and create right now. 未来延续的基础,是我们 现在所建立和创造的。
We set into motion that domino effect that carves out AI's evolutionary path. 我们开始了骨牌效应, 刻划出了人工智慧的演进路径。
motion:n.动作;移动;手势;请求;意向;议案;v.运动;打手势; domino effect:n.多米诺(骨牌)效应;连锁反应; carves:v.雕刻(carve的第三人称单数); evolutionary:adj.进化的;发展的;渐进的;
In our time right now, we shape the AI of tomorrow. 我们在现在这时代 形塑未来的人工智慧。
Technology that immerses us in augmented realities bringing to life past worlds. 让我们能沉浸入扩增实境中的科技, 让过去的世界又活了过来。
immerses:v.浸;沉湎于; augmented:adj.增广的;增音的;扩张的;
Technology that helps people to share their experiences when they have difficulty communicating. 协助人们在沟通困难时 还能分享经验的科技。
Technology built on understanding the streaming visual worlds used as technology for self-driving cars. 立基在了解串流 视觉世界之上的科技, 被用来当作自动驾驶汽车的科技。
visual:adj.视觉的,视力的;栩栩如生的; self-driving:自驾;
Technology built on understanding images and generating language, evolving into technology that helps people who are visually impaired be better able to access the visual world. 立基在了解图像和产生语言的科技, 演进成协助视觉损伤者的科技, 让他们更能进入视觉的世界。
generating:v.产生;引起;(generate的现在分词) visually:adv.形象化地;外表上;看得见地; impaired:adj.受损的;v.损害(impair的过去式和过去分词);
And we also see how technology can lead to problems. 我们也看到了科技如何导致问题。
We have technology today that analyzes physical characteristics we're born with -- such as the color of our skin or the look of our face -- in order to determine whether or not we might be criminals or terrorists. 现今,我们有科技 能够分析我们天生的身体特征── 比如肤色或面部的外观── 可以用来判断我们是否 有可能是罪犯或恐怖份子。
analyzes:分析; physical:adj.[物]物理的;身体的;物质的;符合自然法则的;n.体格检查; characteristics:n.特征;特点;品质;(characteristic的复数) determine:v.决定;确定;测定;查明;形成;影响;裁决;安排; whether or not:是否…;
We have technology that crunches through our data, even data relating to our gender or our race, in order to determine whether or not we might get a loan. 我们有科技能够分析我们的资料, 甚至和我们的性别 或种族相关的资料, 来决定我们的贷款是否能被核准。
crunches:n.仰卧起坐; v.嘎吱嘎吱地咀嚼; gender:n.性别;
All that we see now is a snapshot in the evolution of artificial intelligence. 我们现在所看见的一切, 都是人工智慧演进的约略写照。
snapshot:n.快照,快相;急射,速射;简单印象;vt.给…拍快照;vi.拍快照;
Because where we are right now, is within a moment of that evolution. 因为我们现在所处的位置, 是在那演进的一个时刻当中。
That means that what we do now will affect what happens down the line and in the future. 那表示,我们现在 所做的,会影响到后续 未来发生的事。
If we want AI to evolve in a way that helps humans, then we need to define the goals and strategies that enable that path now. 如果我们想让人工智慧的 演进方式是对人类有助益的, 那么我们现在就得要 定义目标和策略, 来让那条路成为可能。
define:v.定义;使明确;规定; strategies:n.策略;行动计划;部署;战略;(strategy的复数)
What I'd like to see is something that fits well with humans, with our culture and with the environment. 我想要看见的东西是要能够 和人类、我们的文化,
Technology that aids and assists those of us with neurological conditions or other disabilities in order to make life equally challenging for everyone. 这种科技要能够幫助和协助 有神经系统疾病 或其他残疾者的人, 让人生对于每个人的 挑战程度是平等的。
neurological:adj.神经病学的,神经学上的; disabilities:n.残疾(disability的复数);身心障碍者;
Technology that works regardless of your demographics or the color of your skin. 这种科技的运作 不会考量你的 人口统计资料或你的肤色。
regardless:adj.不管的; v.不顾后果地; demographics:n.人口统计资料;
And so today, what I focus on is the technology for tomorrow and for 10 years from now. 所以,现今我着重的是明日的科技 和十年后的科技。
AI can turn out in many different ways. 产生人工智慧的方式相当多。
But in this case, it isn't a self-driving car without any destination. 但在这个情况中, 它并不是没有目的地的 自动驾驶汽车。
This is the car that we are driving. 它是我们在开的汽车。
We choose when to speed up and when to slow down. 我们选择何时要加速何时要减速。
We choose if we need to make a turn. 我们选择是否要转弯。
We choose what the AI of the future will be. 我们选择将来的 人工智慧会是哪一种。
There's a vast playing field of all the things that artificial intelligence can become. 人工智慧能够 变成各式各样的东西。
playing field:n.运动场;操场;
It will become many things. 它会变成许多东西。
And it's up to us now, in order to figure out what we need to put in place to make sure the outcomes of artificial intelligence are the ones that will be better for all of us. 现在,决定权在我们, 我们要想清楚我们得要准备什么, 来确保人工智慧的结果 会是对所有人都更好的结果。
outcomes:n.结果;成果;后果;出路;(outcome的复数)
Thank you. 谢谢。
(Applause) (掌声)