|
|
MarcusduSautoy_2009G-_对称性——现实之谜_
|
On the 30th of May, 1832, a gunshot was heard ringing out across the 13th arrondissement in Paris. |
在1832年5月30日, 人们听到一声枪响, 枪声穿透了巴黎的第十三区 |
gunshot:n.射击;射程;炮击;adj.射击的;枪炮射击所致的; arrondissement:n.郡,法国的行政区;
|
(Gunshot) |
(枪声) |
A peasant, who was walking to market that morning ran towards where the gunshot had come from, and found a young man writhing in agony on the floor, clearly shot by a dueling wound . |
一个农民,那天早晨正去往市场 朝枪声传来的地方跑了过去, 并发现一名年轻男子正痛得在地上打滚, 显然他在决斗中遭到了枪击。 |
writhing:v.(常指因剧痛不停地)扭动,翻滚;(writhe的现在分词) agony:n.苦恼;极大的痛苦;临死的挣扎; dueling:n.决斗;竞争;v.决斗;斗争(duel的ing形式); wound:n.创伤,伤口;v.使受伤;受伤,伤害;
|
The young man's name was Evariste Galois. |
这个年轻人名叫伊瓦利斯特?伽罗瓦。 |
He was a well-known revolutionary in Paris at the time. |
他当时在巴黎是一个著名的革命者。 |
well-known:adj.著名的;众所周知的;清楚明白的; revolutionary:adj.革命性的;革命的;彻底变革的;n.改革者;革命者;
|
Galois was taken to the local hospital where he died the next day in the arms of his brother. |
伽罗瓦被送到了当地的医院, 在医院第二天死在了他兄弟的怀中。 |
And the last words he said to his brother were, "Don't cry for me Alfred. |
他最后对他兄弟说的话是, “阿尔弗雷德不要为我哭泣。 |
I need all the courage I can muster to die at the age of 20." |
我需要聚集我能聚集的所有勇气 让我在20岁时死去。” |
muster:vt.召集;对…进行点名;使振作;n.集合;检阅;点名册;集合人员;vi.召集;聚集;
|
It wasn't in fact, revolutionary politics for which Galois was famous. |
实际上,革命政治并不是 使伽罗瓦著名的原因。 |
politics:n.政治;钩心斗角;政治观点;v.(贬)从事政治活动;(politic的第三人称单数)
|
But a few years earlier, while still at school, he'd actually cracked one of the big mathematical problems at the time. |
而是几年前,当他还在上学时, 他实际上已经破解了 当时重大数学问题之一。 |
cracked:adj.疯狂;破裂的;有裂纹的;v.破裂;裂开;断裂;(crack的过去分词和过去式) mathematical:adj.数学的,数学上的;精确的;
|
And he wrote to the academicians in Paris, trying to explain his theory. |
随后他写信给巴黎的院士, 尝试解释他的理论。 |
But the academicians couldn't understand anything that he wrote. |
但院士们弄不懂他写的任何东西。 |
(Laughter) |
(众笑) |
This is how he wrote most of his mathematics . |
这就是他怎么写大部分数学理论的。 |
mathematics:n.数学;数学运算;
|
So, the night before that duel, he realized this possibly is his last chance to try and explain his great breakthrough . |
因此,在决斗的前一天晚上,他意识到 这可能是他最后一次机会 来尝试解释他的重大突破了。 |
breakthrough:n.突破;开始取得成功之时;adj.突破性的;
|
So he stayed up the whole night, writing away, trying to explain his ideas. |
所以他彻夜未眠,不停地写东西, 试图解释他的想法。 |
And as the dawn came up and he went to meet his destiny , he left this pile of papers on the table for the next generation. |
随着黎明的到来,他准备迎接自己的命运。 他把桌子上的一堆文件留给了下一代。 |
dawn:n.黎明;开端;vt.破晓;出现;被领悟; destiny:n.命运,定数,天命; pile:n.桩;堆;摞;桩柱;v.堆放;摞起;叠放;放置;
|
Maybe the fact that he stayed up all night doing mathematics was the fact that he was such a bad shot that morning and got killed. |
也许他彻夜研究数学 是他那天早晨受到枪击且被杀的真正原因。 |
But contained inside those documents was a new language, a language to understand one of the most fundamental concepts of science -- namely symmetry . |
但包含在那些文件中的 是一种新的语言,这种语言能让人们理解 科学的一个最基本的概念, 即对称性。 |
fundamental:n.基础; adj.十分重大的; namely:adv.也就是;即是;换句话说; symmetry:n.对称(性);整齐,匀称;
|
Now, symmetry is almost nature's language. |
现今,对称性几乎是大自然的语言。 |
It helps us to understand so many different bits of the scientific world. |
它有助于我们了解许多 科学世界里不同的小东西。 |
scientific:adj.科学的,系统的;
|
For example, molecular structure . |
例如,分子结构。 |
molecular:adj.[化学]分子的;由分子组成的; structure:n.结构;构造;建筑物;vt.组织;构成;建造;
|
What crystals are possible we can understand through the mathematics of symmetry. |
什么晶体是能让 我们可以通过数学的对称性来了解的? |
crystals:n.[晶体]晶体(crystal的复数形式);石英晶体;
|
In microbiology you really don't want to get a symmetrical object. |
在微生物学中,你真的不想研究对称的东西。 |
microbiology:n.微生物学; symmetrical:adj.匀称的,对称的;
|
Because they are generally rather nasty . |
因为它们一般都比较令人讨厌。 |
generally:adv.通常;普遍地,一般地; nasty:adj.极差的:令人厌恶的:不友好的:n.令人不愉快的事物:
|
The swine flu virus, at the moment, is a symmetrical object. |
目前的猪流感病毒就是一种结构对称的病毒。 |
swine:n.猪;卑贱的人;
|
And it uses the efficiency of symmetry to be able to propagate itself so well. |
而且它利用对称的功效 来使自己很好的增殖。 |
efficiency:n.效率;效能;功效; propagate:vt.传播;传送;繁殖;宣传;vi.繁殖;增殖;
|
But on a larger scale of biology, actually symmetry is very important, because it actually communicates genetic information. |
但就生物学更大范围的而言,对称性事实上非常重要, 因为它能传递遗传信息。 |
scale:n.规模;比例;鳞;刻度;天平;数值范围;v.衡量;攀登;剥落;生水垢; genetic:adj.基因的;遗传学的;
|
I've taken two pictures here and I've made them artificially symmetrical. |
我带了两张照片到这儿来,并人工的把他们做成了对称的。 |
artificially:adv.人工地;人为地;不自然地;
|
And if I ask you which of these you find more beautiful, you're probably drawn to the lower two. |
如果我问你们觉得哪些更漂亮, 你们可能会被下面的两张吸引住。 |
Because it is hard to make symmetry. |
因为很难做到对称, |
And if you can make yourself symmetrical, you're sending out a sign that you've got good genes , you've got a good upbringing and therefore you'll make a good mate . |
所以如果你可以使自己对称,那么你在传递一种信号 它意味着你得到了好的遗传基因,你有好的教养, 因而你会有一个好的伴侣。 |
genes:n.基因;(gene的复数) upbringing:n.教养;养育;抚育; mate:n.助手,大副; v.使配对;
|
So symmetry is a language which can help to communicate genetic information. |
所以,对称性是一种语言,它能有助于传递 遗传信息。 |
Symmetry can also help us to explain what's happening the Large Hadron Collider in CERN. |
对称性还可以帮助我们解释 欧洲粒子物理研究所大型强子对撞机正发生着什么事情。 |
Hadron:n.[高能]强子(参与强相互作用的基本粒子); Collider:n.对撞机;碰撞机;
|
Or what's not happening in the Large Hadron Collider in CERN. |
或者欧洲粒子物理研究所的大型强子对撞机没有发生什么事情。 |
To be able to make predictions about the fundamental particles we might see there, it seems that they are all facets of some strange symmetrical shape in a higher dimensional space. |
为了能够对基本粒子作出预测, 我们可能会在那儿看到的(基本粒子), 似乎所有的小平面都有某种奇怪的对称形状 当它们在更高维的空间中时。 |
predictions:n.预测,预言(prediction复数形式); particles:n.微粒,粒子;粒子系统;碎木料(particle的复数形式); facets:n.面状,[材]刻面;切面或瓣面(facet的复数形式); dimensional:adj.空间的;尺寸的;
|
And I think Galileo summed up, very nicely , the power of mathematics, to understand the scientific world around us. |
我认为伽利略很好地概括了 数学的力量: 它让我们对周围的科学世界得以了解。 |
summed:v.归纳;总计;总结,概括;(sum的过去分词和过去式) nicely:adv.细致地;有吸引力;令人满意;令人愉快;adj.强健的;
|
He wrote, "The universe cannot be read until we have learnt the language and become familiar with the characters in which it is written. |
他写道:“我们无法阅读宇宙, 除非学会它的语言, 且熟悉其写作特点。 |
familiar:adj.熟悉的;常见的;亲近的;n.常客;密友;
|
It is written in mathematical language. |
它是用数学语言写的。 |
And the letters are triangles , circles, and other geometric figures, without which means that it's humanly impossible to comprehend a single word." |
字母是三角形、圆和其他的几何数字, 没有这些字母就意味着在人力所能及的范围内是不可能 理解任何一个字的。” |
triangles:n.[数]三角形,三角型态(triangle的复数形式); geometric:adj.几何学的;[数]几何学图形的; humanly:adv.以人力;像人地;在人力所能及的范围; comprehend:v.理解;包含;由…组成;
|
But it's not just scientists who are interested in symmetry. |
不只是科学家们对对称性感兴趣。 |
Artists too love to play around with symmetry. |
艺术家也喜欢摆弄对称性。 |
play around:玩耍;胡搞;轻率对待;
|
They also have a slightly more ambiguous relationship with it. |
他们与对称性有一些更模糊的关系。 |
slightly:adv.些微地,轻微地;纤细地; ambiguous:adj.模糊不清的;引起歧义的;
|
Here is Thomas Mann talking about symmetry in "The Magic Mountain." |
这是托马斯?曼在《魔山》中谈到的对称性。 |
He has a character describing the snowflake . |
他对雪花有这样的描。 |
describing:v.描述;形容;把…称为;做…运动;(describe的现在分词) snowflake:n.雪花;雪片莲;雪巫;
|
And he says he " shuddered at its perfect precision , found it deathly , the very marrow of death." |
他说,“他因其有完美的精确度而震撼, 发现它死亡的精髓让他想到死亡。” |
shuddered:n.发抖;战栗;震动;vi.发抖;战栗; precision:n.精度,[数]精密度;精确;adj.精密的,精确的; deathly:adj.死一般的;致命的;adv.死了一样地;非常; marrow:n.髓,骨髓;精华;活力;
|
But what artists like to do is to set up expectations of symmetry and then break them. |
但艺术家们想要做的是树立对对称性的期望, 然后打破它们。 |
expectations:n.预料;预期;期待;希望;指望;(expectation的复数)
|
And a beautiful example of this |
就这一点我找到了一个很好的例子, |
I found, actually, when I visited a colleague of mine in Japan, Professor Kurokawa. |
其实是当我拜访我的同事 在日本的黑川纪章教授时发现的。 |
colleague:n.同事,同僚;
|
And he took me up to the temples in Nikko. |
他带我到日光市的寺庙去。 |
And just after this photo was taken we walked up the stairs. |
就在拍好这张照片后,我们走上楼梯, |
And the gateway you see behind has eight columns , with beautiful symmetrical designs on them. |
你们看到的这后面的大门 有八根柱子,都有着漂亮的对称性设计。 |
columns:n.柱:(通常为)圆形石柱:(书,报纸印刷页上的)栏(column的复数)
|
Seven of them are exactly the same, and the eighth one is turned upside down . |
其中七个是完全一样的, 而第八个是颠倒过来的。 |
upside down:adj.颠倒的;乱七八糟的;
|
And I said to Professor Kurokawa, "Wow, the architects must have really been kicking themselves when they realized that they'd made a mistake and put this one upside down." |
我就对黑川纪章教授说: “哇,建筑师们肯定要踢自己了, 要是他么发现犯了这么一个错误,把这根柱子弄倒了过来。” |
architects:n.建筑师;设计师;创造者;(architect的复数);
|
And he said, "No no no. It was a very deliberate act." |
他说,“不,不,不。这是一个特意的设计。” |
deliberate:v.深思熟虑;仔细考虑;反复思考;adj.故意的;蓄意的;存心的;不慌不忙的;
|
And he referred me to this lovely quote from the Japanese "Essays In Idleness " from the 14th century. |
他还向我提到了这个可爱的引述,引自日本 1 4世纪的《闲置的散文》。 |
referred:v.提到;引用;认为;指示;涉及;(refer的过去式和过去分词) quote:v.引用;报价;举例说明;开价;为(企业的股份)上市;n.引用; Idleness:n.懒惰;闲散;失业;
|
In which, the essayist wrote, "In everything, uniformity is undesirable . |
其中,散文家写道:“在一切事物中, 一致性是不可取的。 |
essayist:n.随笔作家,散文家;评论家; uniformity:n.均匀性;一致;同样; undesirable:adj.不良的;不受欢迎的;不合需要的;n.不良分子;不受欢迎的人;
|
Leaving something incomplete makes it interesting, and gives one the feeling that there is room for growth." |
留下一些不完整的东西会更有趣, 而且一致性给人一种没有发展空间的感觉。” |
incomplete:n.未完成;adj.不完整的;不完全的;不完善的;
|
Even when building the Imperial Palace, they always leave one place unfinished. |
即使是建造皇宫时, 他们也总是留下一个未完工的地方。 |
Imperial:adj.帝国的;皇帝的;至高无上的;威严的;n.纸张尺寸;特等品;
|
But if I had to chose one building in the world to be cast out on a desert island , to live the rest of my life, being an addict of symmetry, I would probably chose the Alhambra in Granada. |
但如果我必须选择这世界上的一个建筑, 将其扔到一个荒岛上,且我要在那里度过余生, 作为一个对对称性痴迷的人,我可能会选择在格拉纳达的阿尔罕布拉。 |
desert island:n.热带荒岛; addict:n.有瘾的人;入迷的人;v.使沉溺;使上瘾;
|
This is a palace celebrating symmetry. |
这是一座歌颂对称性的宫殿。 |
Recently I took my family -- we do this kind of rather nerdy mathematical trips, which my family love. |
最近,我带我的家人—— 我们进行这种并没有学术气息的数学旅行,我的家人都很喜欢。 |
Recently:adv.最近;新近; nerdy:adj.书呆子式的;n.令人厌烦的人;
|
This is my son Tamer . You can see he's really enjoying our mathematical trip to the Alhambra. |
这是我的儿子塔梅尔。你们可以看到 他真的很喜欢我们在阿尔罕布拉的数学之旅。 |
Tamer:驯兽师
|
But I wanted to try and enrich him. |
但我想尝试使他变得充实。 |
enrich:v.充实;使丰富;使富有;使富裕;
|
I think one of the problems about school mathematics is it doesn't look at how mathematics is embedded in the world we live in. |
我认为学校教的数学存在的一个问题就是 它没有关注数学是如何被运用于 我们所处的这个世界。 |
embedded:adj.嵌入式的;植入的;内含的;v.嵌入(embed的过去式和过去分词形式);
|
So, I wanted to open his eyes up to how much symmetry is running through the Alhambra. |
所以,我想开拓他的眼界,让他知道 阿尔罕布拉运用着多少对称性。 |
You see it already. Immediately you go in, the reflective symmetry in the water. |
你们已经看到了。你一走进去, 水中有反射的对称。 |
reflective:adj.反射的;反映的;沉思的;
|
But it's on the walls where all the exciting things are happening. |
但是,所有令人兴奋的事情发生在墙壁上。 |
The Moorish artists were denied the possibility to draw things with souls. |
人们否认摩尔艺术家能够 用灵魂来绘画。 |
Moorish:adj.摩尔人的,摩尔文化的;摩尔式的建筑风格; denied:v.否认;拒绝;否定;不承认;(deny的过去分词和过去式)
|
So they explored a more geometric art. |
因此,他们探索出一种更加几何化的艺术。 |
explored:v.探索;勘探;考察;探险;(explore的过去式和过去分词)
|
And so what is symmetry? |
那么什么是对称性? |
The Alhambra somehow asks all of these questions. |
阿尔罕布拉以某种方式提出了所有这些问题。 |
somehow:adv.以某种方法;莫名其妙地;
|
What is symmetry? When [there] are two of these walls, do they have the same symmetries ? |
什么是对称性?当[那儿]有两面墙时, 他们有相同的对称性吗? |
symmetries:匀称;
|
Can we say whether they discovered all of the symmetries in the Alhambra? |
我们可以说他们是否发现了 阿尔罕布拉所有的对称性吗? |
And it was Galois who produced a language to be able to answer some of these questions. |
是伽罗瓦研制出了一种语言 能够回答一些这样的问题。 |
For Galois, symmetry -- unlike for Thomas Mann, which was something still and deathly -- for Galois, symmetry was all about motion . |
对伽罗瓦来说,对称性,不同于托马斯曼所说的 对称性是一些静态的和死一般的东西。 对伽罗瓦来说,所有的对称性都是关于运动的。 |
motion:n.动作;移动;手势;请求;意向;议案;v.运动;打手势;
|
What can you do to a symmetrical object, move it in some way, so it looks the same as before you moved it? |
你能对一个对称性的物体做些什么? 用某种方法移动它,让它看起来 跟你移动它之前一样? |
I like to describe it as the magic trick moves. |
我喜欢把这形容为神奇的假动作。 |
describe:v.描述;形容;把…称为;画出…图形;
|
What can you do to something? You close your eyes. |
你对一些东西可以做些什么?闭上你的眼睛。 |
I do something, put it back down again. |
我动下它,再把它放回到原处。 |
It looks like it did before it started. |
它看起来和动之前一样。 |
So, for example, the walls in the Alhambra, |
那么,例如,阿尔罕布拉的墙壁。 |
I can take all of these tiles , and fix them at the yellow place, rotate them by 90 degrees, put them all back down again and they fit perfectly down there. |
我可以把所有的这些瓦片拿起来,把他们放在这个黄色的地方, 并把它们旋转九十度, 再把他们都放回去,它们非常吻合。 |
tiles:n.[建]瓷砖(tile的复数形式);v.铺砖(tile的第三人称单数形式); rotate:v.旋转;转动;轮换;使…轮流;
|
And if you open your eyes again you wouldn't know that they'd moved. |
如果你再睁开你的眼睛,你不会知道它们被移动过。 |
But it's the motion that really characterizes the symmetry inside the Alhambra. |
但正是运动才使对称性 在阿尔罕布拉具有特色。 |
characterizes:vt.描绘…的特性;具有…的特征;vi.塑造人物;
|
But it's also about producing a language to describe this. |
但也要创造一种语言来描绘它。 |
And the power of mathematics is often to change one thing into another, to change geometry into language. |
数学的力量往往 把一样东西变成另一样,把几何变成语言。 |
geometry:n.几何学;几何结构;
|
So I'm going to take you through, perhaps push you a little bit mathematically -- so brace yourselves -- push you a little bit to understand how this language works, which enables us to capture what is symmetry. |
因此,我将带你经历,可能强加一些数学的东西给你们, 所以撑住自己, 强加一些数学的知识让你们了解这种语言是怎么运作的, 这让我们能够捕捉到什么是对称性。 |
mathematically:adv.算术地,数学上地; brace:n.箍子;夹子;支架;牙箍;背带;大括弧;一对;v.使作准备;使防备;顶住,抵住 enables:v.使得; (enable的第三人称单数) capture:v.俘虏;捕获;攻占;夺得;刻画,描述;n.(被)捕获;(被)俘获
|
So, let's take these two symmetrical objects here. |
那让我们把这两个对称物放到这儿。 |
Let's take the twisted six-pointed starfish . |
拿这个扭曲了的六角海星来说。 |
twisted:adj.扭曲的; v.使弯曲,使扭曲; (twist的过去分词和过去式) starfish:n.海星;
|
What can I do to the starfish which makes it look the same? |
我怎么做能让这个海星看起来和原来一样呢? |
Well, there I rotated it by a sixth of a turn, and still it looks like it did before I started. |
嗯,我把它旋转了六分之一圈, 它看起来仍然跟我动过之前一样。 |
rotated:adj.旋转的;v.旋转;使…转动;循环(rotate的过去分词);
|
I could rotate it by a third of a turn, or a half a turn, or put it back down on its image, or two thirds of a turn. |
我可以把它旋转三分之一圈, 或者半圈, 或将它恢复到原图,或旋转三分之二圈。 |
And a fifth symmetry, I can rotate it by five sixths of a turn. |
第五种对称,我可以把它旋转六分之五圈。 |
And those are things that I can do to the symmetrical object that make it look like it did before I started. |
这些就是我能对对称物所做的, 可以让它看起来跟我动它们之前一样。 |
Now, for Galois, there was actually a sixth symmetry. |
对伽罗瓦来说,实际上还有第六种对称。 |
Can anybody think what else I could do to this which would leave it like I did before I started? |
大家能想到其它什么办法 可以让它跟我动它之前一样? |
I can't flip it because I've put a little twist on it, haven't I? |
我不能翻转它,因为我已经把它扭曲了一些,是吧? |
flip:n.浏览;空翻;轻抛;捻掷;v.迅速翻动;按(开关);按(按钮);开(或关)(机器等);
|
It's got no reflective symmetry. |
这样它没有反射对称了。 |
But what I could do is just leave it where it is, pick it up, and put it down again. |
但我可以做的就是把它放在原处, 把它拿起来再把它放下。 |
And for Galois this was like the zeroth symmetry. |
对伽罗瓦来说,这就像是第零个对称。 |
zeroth:adj.[数]零的;
|
Actually the invention of the number zero was a very modern concept, seventh century A.D., by the Indians. |
其实,数字零的发明 是一个非常现代化的概念,它是公元七世纪印度人发明的。 |
It seems mad to talk about nothing. |
什么都没有谈论看起来很疯狂。 |
And this is the same idea. This is a symmetrical -- |
这是同样的概念。这是对称的—— |
So everything has symmetry, where you just leave it where it is. |
所以一切事物都有对称性,把它放在拿起它的地方。 |
So, this object has six symmetries. |
所以这个物体有六种对称。 |
And what about the triangle? |
那三角形呢? |
Well, I can rotate by a third of a turn clockwise or a third of a turn anticlockwise . |
嗯,我可以把它顺时针旋转三分之一圈 或逆时针旋转三分之一圈。 |
anticlockwise:adj.逆时针的;反时针方向的;adv.逆时针地;
|
But now this has some reflectional symmetry. |
但现在有反射对称。 |
I can reflect it in the line through X, or the line through Y, or the line through Z. |
。我可以在X轴上翻转它, 或在Y轴上, 或在Z轴上。 |
Five symmetries and then of course the zeroth symmetry where I just pick it up and leave it where it is. |
五种对称,当然还有第零个对称, 我把它拿起来,放回原处。 |
So both of these objects have six symmetries. |
因此,这些物体都有六种对称。 |
Now, I'm a great believer that mathematics is not a spectator sport , and you have to do some mathematics in order to really understand it. |
现在,我十分相信数学不是旁观者的运动, 你必须做一些数学运算 才能真正理解它。 |
believer:n.信徒;相信的人; spectator sport:n.群众爱看的体育运动;观赏性体育运动;
|
So here is a little question for you. |
这儿有个小问题问问你们。 |
And I'm going to give a prize at the end of my talk for the person who gets closest to the answer. |
我将在讲座结束后给一个奖品 给那个给出的答案最接近的人。 |
The Rubik's Cube. |
魔方。 |
How many symmetries does a Rubik's Cube have? |
一个魔方有多少种对称? |
How many things can I do to this object and put it down so it still looks like a cube? |
有多少种方法可以在动了这个物体, 且把它放下后它仍然看起来像一个立方体? |
Okay? So I want you to think about that problem as we go on, and count how many symmetries there are. |
好吗?我希望随着讲座的继续,你们可以考虑下这个问题, 数数它有多少种对称。 |
And there will be a prize for the person who gets closest at the end. |
会有一个奖品在讲座结束后那个给出的答案最接近的人。 |
But let's go back down to symmetries that I got for these two objects. |
让我们回到这两个物体的对称性上。 |
What Galois realized: it isn't just the individual symmetries, but how they interact with each other which really characterizes the symmetry of an object. |
伽罗瓦意识到这不仅仅是个体的对称性, 而是个体之间如何相互作用 才真正赋予了一个物体具有对称性的特点。 |
individual:n.个人;有个性的人;adj.单独的;个别的; interact:v.互相影响;互相作用;n.幕间剧;幕间休息;
|
If I do one magic trick move, followed by another, the combination is a third magic trick move. |
如果我做一个神奇的假动作,然后再做一个, 两个合并起来就是第三个神奇的假动作。 |
combination:n.结合;组合;联合;[化学]化合;
|
And here we see Galois starting to develop a language to see the substance of the things unseen , the sort of abstract idea of the symmetry underlying this physical object. |
这里我们了解到伽罗瓦开始开发 一种语言来研究 看不见的东西所具有的内在含义,以及 物理物体中存在的对称性的抽象的概念。 |
substance:n.物质;实质;主旨;物品; unseen:adj.看不见的,未看见的;未经预习的;n.(事前未看过原文的)即席翻译; abstract:n.摘要; adj.抽象的; vt.摘要; vi.做摘要; underlying:adj.根本的; v.构成…的基础; (underlie的现在分词) physical:adj.[物]物理的;身体的;物质的;符合自然法则的;n.体格检查;
|
For example, what if I turn the starfish by a sixth of a turn, and then a third of a turn? |
例如,如果我把海星旋转 六分之一圈, 然后再转三分之一圈会,结果会怎样? |
what if:如果…怎么办?
|
So I've given names. The capital letters, A, B, C, D, E, F, are the names for the rotations . |
所以我给它们取了名字。大写的字母A、B、C、D、E、F, 这些名字旋转的代号。 |
rotations:n.旋转;循环(rotation的复数);
|
B, for example, rotates the little yellow dot to the B on the starfish. And so on. |
例如B,旋转小黄点, 它位于海星上的B处,诸如此类。 |
rotates:旋转;轮流;
|
So what if I do B, which is a sixth of a turn, followed by C, which is a third of a turn? |
那么,如果我旋转B,转六分之一圈, 其次是C,转三分之一圈? |
Well let's do that. A sixth of a turn, followed by a third of a turn, the combined effect is as if I had just rotated it by half a turn in one go. |
嗯,让我们开始。六分之一圈, 接着是三分之一圈, 合并后的效果就像我刚刚把它一次旋转了半圈一样。 |
So the little table here records how the algebra of these symmetries work. |
那这个小表格记载着 这些对称的代数是怎么运作的。 |
algebra:n.代数学;
|
I do one followed by another, the answer is it's rotation D, half a turn. |
我将一个接一个的旋转,结果就是 D旋转了半圈。 |
What I if I did it in the other order? Would it make any difference? |
如果我按其他顺序旋转呢?会有什么不同吗? |
Let's see. Let's do the third of the turn first, and then the sixth of a turn. |
让我们来看看。让我们先旋转三分之一圈,然后旋转六分之一圈。 |
Of course, it doesn't make any difference. |
当然,没有什么差别。 |
It still ends up at half a turn. |
结果仍然是半圈。 |
And there is some symmetry here in the way the symmetries interact with each other. |
某种对称方式是通过相互作用得到的。 |
in the way:妨碍;挡道;
|
But this is completely different to the symmetries of the triangle. |
但这与三角形的对称性是完全不同的。 |
Let's see what happens if we do two symmetries with the triangle, one after the other . |
让我们看看如果对三角形 一个接一个的进行两个对称旋转会怎样。 |
one after the other:相继地,一个接一个地;
|
Let's do a rotation by a third of a turn anticlockwise, and reflect in the line through X. |
让我们逆时针旋转三分之一圈, 然后在X轴上翻转。 |
Well, the combined effect is as if I had just done the reflection in the line through Z to start with. |
嗯,合并后的效果就像我刚刚以Z轴翻转 开始一样。 |
reflection:n.反映;沉思;映像;深思;
|
Now, let's do it in a different order. |
现在,让我们按不同的顺序来一次。 |
Let's do the reflection in X first, followed by the rotation by a third of a turn anticlockwise. |
我们先在X轴上翻转, 然后逆时针旋转三分之一圈。 |
The combined effect, the triangle ends up somewhere completely different. |
合并后的效果是三角形停的地方完全不同。 |
It's as if it was reflected in the line through Y. |
就像是在Y轴上翻转了一样。 |
reflected:adj.反射的;得自他人的;v.反射;思考;(reflect的过去式和过去分词)
|
Now it matters what order you do the operations in. |
现在看来这与你操作它的顺序有关。 |
And this enables us to distinguish why the symmetries of these objects -- they both have six symmetries. So why shouldn't we say they have the same symmetries? |
这使我们能够区分 为什么这些物体的对称性 都有六个。那么,为什么我们不能说 它们有相同的对称性呢? |
distinguish:vt.区分;辨别;使杰出,使表现突出;vi.区别,区分;辨别;
|
But the way the symmetries interact enable us -- we've now got a language to distinguish why these symmetries are fundamentally different. |
但对称相互作用的方式 使我们——我们现在已经有一种语言 来区分为什么这些对称在根本上是不同的。 |
fundamentally:adv.从根本上;基础地;重要地
|
And you can try this when you go down to the pub, later on. |
你也可以尝试一下,当你去酒吧时,以后去的时候。 |
Take a beer mat, and rotate it by a quarter of a turn, then flip it. And then do it in the other order, |
拿一个啤酒垫,把它旋转四分之一圈, 然后翻转它。然后再按其它顺序做, |
And the picture will be facing in the opposite direction. |
酒垫上的图将是朝反方向面对你的。 |
Now Galois produced some laws for how these tables how symmetries interact. |
伽罗瓦为这些表格以及对称性如何相互作用研究出了一些定律。 |
It's almost like little Sudoku tables. |
这像一个小数独表。 |
Sudoku:n.数独,九宫格游戏;
|
You don't see any symmetry twice in any row or column. |
你看不到任何重复的对称 出现在任何一栏或一行中。 |
And, using those rules, he was able to say that there are in fact only two objects with six symmetries. |
通过运用那些定律,他可以说 事实上只有两个物体 有六个对称。 |
And they'll be the same as the symmetries of the triangle, or the symmetries of the six-pointed starfish. |
而且这六个对称将和三角形的对称, 或六角海星的对称是一样的。 |
I think this is an amazing development. |
我觉得这是一个惊人的发展。 |
It's almost like the concept of number being developed for symmetry. |
它几乎是为了对称而研制的数的概念。 |
In the front here, I've got one, two, three people sitting on one, two, three chairs. |
在这前面,我请一、二、三个人 坐在一、二、三把椅子上。 |
The people on the chairs are very different, but the number, the abstract idea of the number, is the same. |
坐在椅子上的人都不一样, 但是数字,数字的抽象的观念,都是一样的。 |
And we can see this now: we go back to the walls in the Alhambra. |
现在我们可以看到这个:我们回到阿尔罕布拉的墙壁。 |
Here are two very different walls, very different geometric pictures. |
这有两面很不一样的墙壁, 很不相同的几何图片。 |
But, using the language of Galois, we can understand that the underlying abstract symmetries of these things are actually the same. |
但是,利用伽罗瓦的语言, 我们可以知道这些东西含有的抽象的对称 实际上是相同的。 |
For example, let's take this beautiful wall with the triangles with a little twist on them. |
例如,让我们把这面漂亮的墙 和三角形稍微扭曲一下。 |
You can rotate them by a sixth of a turn if you ignore the colors. We're not matching up the colors. |
你可以把它们旋转六分之一圈, 如果忽略他们的颜色。我们不是在匹配颜色。 |
ignore:v.驳回诉讼;忽视;不理睬;
|
But the shapes match up if I rotate by a sixth of a turn around the point where all the triangles meet. |
但在匹配形状,如果我把他们旋转六分之一圈, 围绕着所有三角形交汇的一点旋转。 |
What about the center of a triangle? I can rotate by a third of a turn around the center of the triangle, and everything matches up. |
三角形的中心会怎么样?我可以 围绕着三角形的中心把他们旋转三分之一圈, 那么一切就都匹配上了。 |
And then there is an interesting place halfway along an edge, where I can rotate by 180 degrees. |
这儿有个有趣的地方,沿着边的一半 我可以把它旋转180度。 |
And all the tiles match up again. |
那么所有的瓦片又重新匹配了。 |
So rotate along halfway along the edge, and they all match up. |
所以,沿着边的一半旋转,那么他们都能匹配上。 |
Now, let's move to the very different-looking wall in the Alhambra. |
现在,让我们移动阿尔罕布拉的一面外观非常不一样的墙。 |
And we find the same symmetries here, and the same interaction . |
我们在这儿发现同样的对称性和同样的相互作用。 |
interaction:n.[计]交互,相互作用;相互交流;干扰;
|
So, there was a sixth of a turn. A third of a turn where the Z pieces meet. |
那么是转了六分之一转。转了三分之一圈时第Z片交汇。 |
And the half a turn is halfway between the six pointed stars. |
旋转半圈时离六角星交汇还有一半。 |
And although these walls look very different, |
尽管这些墙壁看起来非常不同, |
Galois has produced a language to say that in fact the symmetries underlying these are exactly the same. |
伽罗瓦研制出一种语言说, 其实这些东西所具有的对称性是完全相同的。 |
And it's a symmetry we call 6-3-2. |
这个对称性我们称之为6-3-2。 |
Here is another example in the Alhambra. |
另一个阿尔罕布拉的例子。 |
This is a wall, a ceiling, and a floor. |
这是一面墙、天花板和地板。 |
They all look very different. But this language allows us to say that they are representations of the same symmetrical abstract object, which we call 4-4-2. Nothing to do with football, |
它们都看起来都非常不一样。但是,这种语言让我们可以说 它们是相同的对称的抽象物体, 我们称之为4-4-2。这与足球毫无关系, |
representations:代表;表现(representation的复数);
|
but because of the fact that there are two places where you can rotate by a quarter of a turn, and one by half a turn. |
而是因为他们都有两个你可以旋转 四分之一圈和二分之一圈的地方。 |
Now, this power of the language is even more, because Galois can say, "Did the Moorish artists discover all of the possible symmetries on the walls in the Alhambra?" |
现在,这种语言的力量更加强大, 因为伽罗瓦可能会说, “摩尔艺术家发现了阿尔罕布拉墙上所有可能对称的 地方了吗?” |
And it turns out they almost did. |
结果是他们几乎都发现了。 |
You can prove, using Galois' language, there are actually only 17 different symmetries that you can do in the walls in the Alhambra. |
你可以用伽罗瓦的语言来证明, 实际上只有17种 可以在阿尔罕布拉的墙上得到的不同的对称。 |
And they, if you try to produce a different wall with this 18th one, it will have to have the same symmetries as one of these 17. |
而且他们,如果你尝试研制出第18面不同的墙壁, 这面墙肯定与17种对称中的一种对称是相同的。 |
But these are things that we can see. |
但这些都是我们可以看到的。 |
And the power of Galois' mathematical language is it also allows us to create symmetrical objects in the unseen world, beyond the two-dimensional , three-dimensional , all the way through to the four- or five- or infinite-dimensional space. |
而伽罗瓦的数学语言的力量 也让我们能 在看不见的世界里创造对称的物体, 超越二维、三维, 全都向四维或五维或无穷维空间发展。 |
two-dimensional:adj.二维的;缺乏深度的; three-dimensional:adj.三维的;立体的;真实的;
|
And that's where I work. I create mathematical objects, symmetrical objects, using Galois' language, in very high dimensional spaces. |
而这正是我在研究的东西。我创建 数学对象和对称物体, 通过运用伽罗瓦的语言 在非常高维的空间里创建。 |
So I think it's a great example of things unseen, which the power of mathematical language allows you to create. |
因此,我认为这是个对于看不见的东西的很好的例子,, 数学语言的力量让你可以创建出来。 |
So, like Galois, I stayed up all last night creating a new mathematical symmetrical object for you. |
因此,像伽罗瓦一样,我昨晚彻夜未眠 为你们建立了一个新的数学对称物。 |
And I've got a picture of it here. |
我这儿有一张它的照片。 |
Well, unfortunately it isn't really a picture. If I could have my board at the side here, great, excellent. |
但是,可惜的是它不是一张真正的照片。我可以把我的图板 放在这边吗?很好,非常好。 |
unfortunately:adv.不幸地;
|
Here we are. Unfortunately I can't show you a picture of this symmetrical object. |
这儿。可惜的是我无法向你们展示 这个对称物的照片。 |
But here is the language which describes how the symmetries interact. |
但这儿有语言能描绘 其对称性怎么相互作用的。 |
describes:v.描述;形容;把…称为;画出…图形;(describe的第三人称单数)
|
Now this new symmetrical object does not have a name yet. |
现在这个新的对称物 还没有名字。 |
Now, people like getting their names on things, on craters on the moon, or new species of animals. |
就像人们给东西命名一样, 给月球上的陨石坑命名, 或给动物新品种命名一样。 |
craters:n.[地质]火山口; v.形成坑; species:n.[生物]物种;种类;
|
So I'm going to give you the chance to get your name on a new symmetrical object which hasn't been named before. |
所以我想给你们机会来给新的对称物命名, 以前没有给它取过名字。 |
And this thing -- species die away, and moons kind of get hit by meteors and explode -- but this mathematical object will live forever. |
而且这个东西——物种会逐渐消失, 月球可能会被陨石撞击并发生爆炸—— 但是这个数学物体将长存于世。 |
meteors:n.[天]流星(meteor的复数); explode:v.爆炸;爆裂;勃然(大怒);突然发生(危险);
|
It will make you immortal . |
它将使你不朽。 |
immortal:adj.不朽的;神仙的;长生的;n.神仙;不朽人物;
|
In order to win this symmetrical object, what you have to do is to answer the question I asked you at the beginning . |
为了赢得这个对称物, 你所要做的就是回答我在一开始问的问题。 |
at the beginning:首先;从一开始;起初;从头开始;
|
How many symmetries does a Rubik's Cube have? |
一个魔方有多少种对称呢? |
Okay, I'm going to sort you out. |
好吧,我来给你们整理一下。 |
Rather than you all shouting out, I want you to count how many digits there are in that number. Okay? |
而不是大家都喊出来,我想让你们数数有多少位数字 在那个答案里。好吗? |
If you've got it as a factorial, you've got to expand the factorials . |
如果你得出的结果是一个阶乘,那么你要扩大它的阶乘。 |
expand:v.扩张;使膨胀;详述;发展;张开,展开; factorials:n.[数]阶乘;[数]析因(factorial的复数);
|
Okay, now if you want to play, |
好了,现在如果你想参与, |
I want you to stand up, okay? |
我希望你能站起来,好吗? |
If you think you've got an estimate for how many digits, right -- we've already got one competitor here -- |
如果你认为你已经估计出了它有多少位数字, 好的——我们在这儿已经有了一位竞争者—— |
estimate:v.估计;估算;估价;n.估价;(对大小、数量、成本等的)估计;估计的成本;
|
If you all stay down he wins it automatically . |
如果你们都继续坐着,那么他就自动赢了。 |
automatically:adv.自动地;机械地;无意识地;adj.不经思索的;
|
Okay. Excellent. So we've got four here, five, six. |
好的。很好。我们已经有四位、五位、六位。 |
Great. Excellent. That should get us going. All right. |
很好。太好了。让我们继续。好了。 |
Anybody with five or less digits, you've got to sit down. |
你们中有人的答案是等于或少于五位数的,那你得坐下了。 |
Because you've underestimated . |
因为你们估计少了。 |
underestimated:v.低估;对…估计不足;轻视(underestimate的过去分词和过去式)
|
Five or less digits. So, if you're in the tens of thousands you've got to sit down. |
五位数或更少的。那么,如果你的答案是几万的话,你得坐下。 |
60 digits or more, you've got to sit down. |
六十或六十多位数的,你必须坐下。 |
You've over estimated. |
你估计得多了。 |
20 digits or less, sit down. |
二十位数或二十位以下的,坐下。 |
How many digits are there in your number? |
你的答案是几位数? |
Two? So you should have sat down earlier. |
两个?那你早就该坐下了。 |
(Laughter) |
(众笑) |
Let's have the other ones, who sat down during the 20, up again. Okay? |
让我们再来问问其他人,谁估计的是二十位的,请再次站起来,好吗? |
If I told you 20 or less, stand up. |
如果我告诉你是二十位或二十位以下,请站起来。 |
Because this one. I think there were a few here. |
因为这一个。我想应该有一些人。 |
The people who just last sat down. |
谁是最后一个做下去的。 |
Okay, how many digits do you have in your number? |
好的,你的答案是多少位数? |
(Laughs) |
(笑) |
21. Okay good. How many do you have in yours? |
21。好的,很好。你的是多少位? |
18. So it goes to this lady here. |
18。那么是这位女士赢了。 |
21 is the closest. |
21是最接近的。 |
It actually has -- the number of symmetries in the Rubik's cube has 25 digits. |
实际上,魔方对称种数的答案 有25位数字。 |
So now I need to name this object. |
那么现在我需要给这个物体命名。 |
So, what is your name? |
嗯,你叫什么名字? |
I need your surname . Symmetrical objects generally -- |
我需要你的姓氏。对称的物体一般—— |
surname:n.姓,姓氏;绰号,别名;vt.给…起别名;给…姓氏;
|
Spell it for me. |
为我拼写一下。 |
G-H-E-Z |
G-H-E-Z |
No SO2 has already been used, actually, in the mathematical language. So you can't have that one. |
不,SO2已经用过了,其实, 在数学语言里。你不能用那个名字。 |
So Ghez, there we go. That's your new symmetrical object. |
Ghez,就是这个名字啦。这是你的新的对称物。 |
You are now immortal. |
你现在是不朽的了。 |
(Applause) |
(鼓掌) |
And if you'd like your own symmetrical object, |
而且,如果你想用你自己的对称物, |
I have a project, raising money for a charity in Guatemala , where I will stay up all night and devise an object for you, for a donation to this charity to help kids get into education, in Guatemala. |
我有一个项目,是为在瓜地马拉的慈善筹钱的, 我可以熬夜为你发明一个物体, 让你可以为慈善捐款来帮助瓜地马拉的孩子们,让他们能接受教育。 |
charity:n.慈善;施舍;慈善团体;宽容;施舍物; Guatemala:n.危地马拉(拉丁美洲国家);危地马拉人; stay up all night:一夜未睡;一整夜不睡觉; devise:v.设计; n.[法]遗赠财产的遗嘱(或其中的条款); donation:n.捐赠;捐赠物;赠送;
|
And I think what drives me, as a mathematician , are those things which are not seen, the things that we haven't discovered. |
我认为,作为一个数学家, 给我动力的是那些看不到的东西,是我们还未发现的东西。 |
mathematician:n.数学家;善作数字计算的人;
|
It's all the unanswered questions which make mathematics a living subject. |
它们都是悬而未决的问题,这使数学成为一个鲜活的主题。 |
unanswered:adj.未答复的;无反应的;
|
And I will always come back to this quote from the Japanese "Essays in Idleness": "In everything, uniformity is undesirable. |
我常常想起引自日本《闲置的散文》中的这句话: “在一切事物中,一致性是不可取的。 |
Leaving something incomplete makes it interesting, and gives one the feeling that there is room for growth." Thank you. |
留下一些不完整的东西会更有趣, 一致性并且给人一种没有发展空间的感觉。”谢谢。 |
(Applause) |
(鼓掌) |