返回首页

MarcelDicke_2010G-_我们为什么不食用昆虫呢_

Okay, I'm going to show you again something about our diets. 好了,我向大家再次展示 我们饮食中的食用昆虫。
And I would like to know what the audience is, and so who of you ever ate insects? 我想知道观众中有多少人吃过昆虫。 大家曾吃过昆虫吗?
That's quite a lot. 非常多。
(Laughter) (笑声)
But still, you're not representing the overall population of the Earth. 但尽管如此,你们并不代表 这地球上的所有人。
representing:v.代表;维护…的利益;等于;相当于;(represent的现在分词) overall:v.全部; n.外套; adj.全面的;
(Laughter) (笑声)
Because there's 80 percent out there that really eats insects. 因为地球上百分之八十的人食用昆虫。
But this is quite good. 但在场吃过昆虫的人也相当多了。
Why not eat insects? Well first, what are insects? 为什么不吃昆虫呢?首先,什么是昆虫?
Insects are animals that walk around on six legs. 用六条腿行走的动物就是昆虫。
And here you see just a selection . 你在这图中看到的昆虫仅是一部分。
selection:n.选择;选拔;挑选;被挑选的人(或物);
There's six million species of insects on this planet, six million species. 在这地球上,有六百万种昆虫, 六百万种。
species:n.[生物]物种;种类;
There's a few hundreds of mammals -- six million species of insects. 哺乳动物仅有几百种, 昆虫却有六百万种。
mammals:n.哺乳动物;(mammal的复数)
In fact, if we count all the individual organisms , we would come at much larger numbers. 事实上,假如我们考虑所有生物个体, 我们会得到更大的数目。
individual:n.个人;有个性的人;adj.单独的;个别的; organisms:n.[生物]生物体(organism的复数);[生物]有机体;
In fact, of all animals on Earth, of all animal species, 80 percent walks on six legs. 事实是地球上所有的动物, 所有动物种类, 百分之八十的物种都是六条腿行走的动物。
But if we would count all the individuals , and we take an average weight of them, it would amount to something like 200 to 2,000 kilograms for each of you and me on Earth. 但如果我们计算所有的个体, 称量他们的平均重量, 昆虫平均重量会是200到2000公斤, 相比起地球上,你我中的每一个而言。
individuals:n.[经]个人;[生物]个体(individual的复数);
That means that in terms of biomass , insects are more abundant than we are, and we're not on a planet of men, but we're on a planet of insects. 在生物量上, 昆虫比我们人类要更加充足。 其实我们不是生活在一个人类星球上, 而是在一个昆虫星球上。
biomass:n.(单位面积或体积内的)[生态]生物量; abundant:adj.丰富的;充裕的;盛产;
Insects are not only there in nature, but they also are involved in our economy , usually without us knowing. 昆虫不仅仅存在于自然界, 它们还跟我们的经济息息相关, 只是通常人们没有察觉。
involved:adj.有关的; v.涉及; (involve的过去式和过去分词) economy:n.经济;节约;理财;
There was an estimation , a conservative estimation , a couple of years ago that the U.S. economy benefited by 57 billion dollars per year. 几年前,有个 保守的估计, 美国经济每年 因昆虫而获益五百七十亿 美元。
estimation:n.估计;尊重; conservative:adj.保守的;n.保守派,守旧者;
It's a number -- very large -- a contribution to the economy of the United States for free. 这对美国经济是个非常大的 贡献,而且是无偿的。
contribution:n.捐款;捐资;定期缴款;贡献;促成作用;稿件; United:adj.联合的; v.联合,团结; (unite的过去分词和过去式)
And so I looked up what the economy was paying for the war in Iraq in the same year. 接着我查看了同一年美国经济 在伊拉克战争的支出是多少 。
It was 80 billion U.S. dollars. 八百亿美元。
Well we know that that was not a cheap war. 我们都知道伊拉克战争 花费不菲。
So insects, just for free, contribute to the economy of the United States with about the same order of magnitude , just for free, without everyone knowing. 而昆虫, 它们 以同样的数百亿美元 对美国经济作出的无偿贡献,却鲜为人知。
contribute to:有助于;捐献; order of magnitude:n.数量级(量度物理量大小的标准,用以10为底的指数表达);
And not only in the States, but in any country, in any economy. 昆虫的贡献不只局限于美国, 而是对世界上任何一个国家,任何一个经济体。
What do they do? 昆虫都做了什么?
They remove dung , they pollinate our crops. 它们清除粪便,给农作物授粉。
dung:vt.施粪肥于;n.粪; pollinate:vt.对...授粉;
A third of all the fruits that we eat are all a result of insects taking care of the reproduction of plants. 我们食用水果中的三分之一 都是 靠它们传粉长成的。
reproduction:n.繁殖,生殖;复制;复制品;
They control pests, and they're food for animals. 他们抑制害虫。 也是其他动物的食物来源。
They're at the start of food chains. 昆虫位于食物链的底端。
Small animals eat insects. 小动物吃昆虫。
Even larger animals eat insects. 大动物也不例外。
But the small animals that eat insects are being eaten by larger animals, still larger animals. 但食用昆虫的小动物 也会被大一点的动物, 甚至更大型的动物捕食。
And at the end of the food chain , we are eating them as well. 在食物链的末端,是我们人类食用这些动物。
food chain:n.食物链;
There's quite a lot of people that are eating insects. 相当多的人吃昆虫。
And here you see me in a small, provincial town in China, Lijiang -- about two million inhabitants . 这幅图,大家看到我 在中国的一个小省城,丽江-- 这里大约有2百万居民。
provincial:adj.省的;地方性的;偏狭的;n.粗野的人;乡下人;外地人; inhabitants:n.居民(inhabitant的复数);
If you go out for dinner, like in a fish restaurant, where you can select which fish you want to eat, you can select which insects you would like to eat. 如果你外出就餐,就像在鱼庄, 你可以选择你想吃的鱼类产品一样, 选择你想吃的昆虫食品。
go out for:努力争取;(运动员,运动队)尽力参加选拔赛;
And they prepare it in a wonderful way. 他们会烹饪出非常特别的昆虫佳肴。
And here you see me enjoying a meal with caterpillars , locusts , bee, [unclear] delicacies . 所以你看到的是,我在享用一顿, 有毛毛虫和蚱蜢, 蜜蜂等的美味佳肴。
caterpillars:n.毛毛虫(caterpillar的复数); locusts:n.[植保]蝗虫;[林]洋槐(locust的复数); delicacies:佳肴;
And you can eat something new everyday. 每天你都可以尝个鲜。
There's more than 1,000 species of insects that are being eaten all around the globe. 全球各地,人们正在食用1000余种 的昆虫。
That's quite a bit more than just a few mammals that we're eating, like a cow or a pig or a sheep. 种类远远多于 人们食用的那么几种哺乳动物, 例如牛,猪, 或者羊。
More than 1,000 species -- an enormous variety . 1000多种-- 极其丰富。
enormous:adj.庞大的,巨大的;凶暴的,极恶的; variety:n.多样;种类;杂耍;变化,多样化;
And now you may think, okay, in this provincial town in China they're doing that, but not us. 现在大家可能会想, 那只是这个中国小城镇的人这么吃罢了,我们可不这样。
Well we've seen already that quite some of you already ate insects maybe occasionally , but I can tell you that every one of you is eating insects, without any exception . 可是,我们已经看到在场的很多人 都吃过昆虫,尽管有些只是偶然吃了一次。 但我要告诉大家,我们每个人都吃昆虫, 无一例外。
occasionally:adv.偶尔;有时候;偶然; exception:n.例外;异议;
You're eating at least 500 grams per year. 大家每年至少吃 500克昆虫。
What are you eating? 这怎么会呢?
Tomato soup, peanut butter , chocolate, noodles -- any processed food that you're eating contains insects, because insects are here all around us, and when they're out there in nature they're also in our crops. 番茄汤,花生酱, 巧克力,面条-- 你吃过的任何加工食品 都含有昆虫, 因为昆虫就在我们身边, 它们在外边自然界中, 它们也在我们的农作物中。
peanut butter:n.花生酱; processed:v.加工,处理;审核;列队行进;(process的过去式和过去分词)
Some fruits get some insect damage. 一些水果进了虫有些损害。
Those are the fruits, if they're tomato, that go to the tomato soup. 如果是番茄, 他们就被制成番茄汤。
If they don't have any damage, they go to the grocery . 如果它们完好无损,则会被售往杂货店。
grocery:n.食品杂货店;食品杂货;
And that's your view of a tomato. 这是你们看到的是番茄。
But there's tomatoes that end up in a soup, and as long as they meet the requirements of the food agency , there can be all kinds of things in there, no problem. 但还有被制成汤的番茄。 只要它们符合 食品署的要求, 加工食品里可以有各种各样的东西, 这没有问题。
as long as:conj.只要;长达;如果;既然; agency:n.代理,中介;代理处,经销处;
In fact, why would we put these balls in the soup, there's meat in there anyway? 事实上,我们为什么还往汤里放肉丸呢? 里面不早就有昆虫肉了吗?
(Laughter) (笑声)
In fact, all our processed foods contain more proteins than we would be aware of. 其实,我们所有的加工食品 所含的蛋白质 比我们想象的要多得多。
proteins:n.[生化]蛋白质(protein复数);
So anything is a good protein source already. 所以加工食品都是不错的蛋白质的来源。
source:n.来源;水源;原始资料;
Now you may say, "Okay, so we're eating 500 grams just by accident." 现在大家会说, “好吧,我们只是‘不小心’吃了500克的昆虫。”
We're even doing this on purpose . 可是我们在很多食物中
on purpose:有目的地,故意地;
In a lot of food items that we have -- 有意食用昆虫。
items:n.项目;一件商品(或物品);一则,一条(新闻)(item的复数)
I have only two items here on the slide -- pink cookies or surimi sticks or, if you like, Campari -- a lot of our food products that are of a red color are dyed with a natural dye. 在幻灯片中,我这儿仅有2个例子 -- 粉红色的饼干和蟹肉条 又或者,堪培利开胃酒。 我们许多食物生产中的红色 都是用天然色素染成的。
surimi:鱼浆;鱼糜;鱼肉酱; dyed:adj.被染色的;v.染色(dye的过去分词形式);
The surimi sticks 蟹肉棒
[of] crabmeat , or is being sold as crab meat, is white fish that's being dyed with cochineal. 就是蟹肉,或被卖成蟹肉, 它是白鱼 被染上胭脂红。
crabmeat:n.蟹肉; white fish:n.白鱼;
Cochineal is a product of an insect that lives off these cacti . 而胭脂红是提取于 一种靠仙人掌生活的昆虫产品。
cacti:n.[园艺]仙人掌(cactus的复数形式);
It's being produced in large amounts, 150 to 180 metric tons per year in the Canary Islands in Peru, and it's big business . 胭脂红 以每年150到180公吨大量生产, 在秘鲁的加那利群岛, 这是笔大买卖。
metric:adj.米制的;公制的;按公制制作的;用公制测量的; Canary:n.[鸟]金丝雀;淡黄色; big business:n.(统称)大企业;大生意;
One gram of cochineal costs about 30 euros . 一克胭脂红 价值约30欧元。
euros:n.欧元;欧洛斯风;带雨东南暴风(euro复数);
One gram of gold is 30 euros. 一克黄金 也是30欧元。
So it's a very precious thing that we're using to dye our foods. 所以胭脂红是非常宝贵的东西, 我们用它来给食物染色。
precious:adj.宝贵的;珍贵的;矫揉造作的;
Now the situation in the world is going to change for you and me, for everyone on this Earth. 现在全球情况正在变化, 对你我,地球上每个人而言。
The human population is growing very rapidly and is growing exponentially . 人口总数正快速地, 成倍地增长着。
exponentially:adv.以指数方式;
Where, at the moment, we have something between six and seven billion people, it will grow to about nine billion in 2050. 目前地球上有 60亿到70亿人口, 到2050年,总人口数会增加到 约90亿。
That means that we have a lot more mouths to feed, and this is something that worries more and more people. 这意味着我们有更多的人口要养活。 这是个让越来越多人担忧的问题。
There was an FAO conference last October that was completely devoted to this. 去年十月粮农组织大会 特此就这问题而召开。
conference:n.会议;研讨会;商讨会;体育协会(或联合会) devoted:adj.专心致志; v.献身; (devote的过去分词和过去式)
How are we going to feed this world? 我们将怎样养活这个世界?
And if you look at the figures up there, it says that we have a third more mouths to feed, but we need an agricultural production increase of 70 percent. 请注意上边粮农组织的数据, 它说我们还有多于现在三分之一的人口要养活, 但这需要农业生产提高 百分之七十。
agricultural:adj.农业的;农艺的;
And that's especially because this world population in increasing, and it's increasing, not only in numbers, but we're also getting wealthier, and anyone that gets wealthier starts to eat more and also starts to eat more meat. 这尤其是因为世界人口总数 在增加, 不仅仅是数量的增加, 而且我们也变得富有了, 人们一旦富裕了就会开始吃更多的食物 也开始吃更多的肉。
especially:adv.尤其;特别;格外;十分;
And meat, in fact, is something that costs a lot of our agricultural production. 实际上,肉类食品的 农业生产成本 很高。
Our diet consists , [in] some part, of animal proteins, and at the moment, most of us here get it from livestock , from fish, from game. 我们饮食由许多动物蛋白质组成, 目前,在这儿,我们中多数人 从家畜, 鱼类,或野味中获取动物蛋白质。
consists:v.由…构成;由…组成(consist的三单形式); livestock:n.家畜;牲畜;
And we eat quite a lot of it. 我们吃很多肉。
In the developed world it's on average 80 kilograms per person per year, which goes up to 120 in the United States and a bit lower in some other countries, but on average 80 kilograms per person per year. 在发达国家,平均每人每年食用 80公斤的肉, 美国的平均值 更是高达120公斤, 其他一些国家稍微低点, 但平均下来是 每人每年80公斤。
In the developing world it's much lower. 在发展中国家这个平均值要低得多。
It's 25 kilograms per person per year. 每人每年25公斤。
But it's increasing enormously . 但增长很快。
enormously:adv.巨大地,庞大地;非常地,在极大程度上;
In China in the last 20 years, it increased from 20 to 50, and it's still increasing. 在中国过去20年中, 这平均值从20公斤增加到了50公斤, 这将会持续下去。
So if a third of the world population is going to increase its meat consumption from 25 to 80 on average, and a third of the world population is living in China and in India, we're having an enormous demand on meat. 那么如果世界人口的三分之一 正增加他们的肉消费 平均从25公斤增长到80公斤, 另外,世界人口的三分之一 正生活在中国和印度, 我们对肉类食品的需求会变得相当大。
consumption:n.消费;消耗;肺痨;
And of course, we are not there to say that's only for us, it's not for them. 当然,我们不是说, 肉食需求只是对我们而言,不用考虑他们(发展中国家的人们)。
They have the same share that we have. 他们和我们一样,享有同等的需求。
Now to start with, I should say that we are eating way too much meat in the Western world. 我必须说, 在西方国家, 我们吃的肉太多了。
We could do with much, much less -- and I know, I've been a vegetarian for a long time, and you can easily do without anything. 我们其实只需要吃很少就可以, 我知道因为我食素已经很久了。 大家能很容易地做到这一点。
vegetarian:n.素食者;食草动物;adj.素食的;
You'll get proteins in any kind of food anyway. 从任何食物中都能获取蛋白质。
But then there's a lot of problems that come with meat production, and we're being faced with that more and more often. 然而肉类食品的生产, 却带有很多问题, 而且这些问题会越来越普遍。
The first problem that we're facing is human health. 我们要面对的第一个问题是人类健康。
Pigs are quite like us. 猪很像我们人类。
They're even models in medicine, and we can even transplant organs from a pig to a human. 在医学上,猪是人类的临床试验的替代品。 我们甚至可以把猪的器官移植到人身上。
transplant:v.移植;迁移;使移居;n.移植;移居者; organs:n.[生物]器官;机构;风琴(organ的复数);
That means that pigs also share diseases with us. 这表明猪和人类有很多共同的疾病。
diseases:n.[医]病(disease的复数);[医]疾病;[植保]病害;疾病种类;
And a pig disease, a pig virus, and a human virus can both proliferate , and because of their kind of reproduction, they can combine and produce a new virus. 而猪的疾病, 猪的病毒,和人类的病毒 都能繁殖并扩散。 正因为这种繁殖系统, 猪和人携带的病毒可能变异,并生成一种新病毒。
proliferate:vi.增殖;扩散;激增;vt.使激增;
This has happened in the Netherlands in the 1990s during the classical swine fever outbreak . 1990年代荷兰发生过的 典型猪疫就是这么一例。
classical:adj.古典的;经典的;传统的;第一流的;n.古典音乐; swine:n.猪;卑贱的人; outbreak:n.(战争的)爆发;(疾病的)发作;vi.爆发;
You get a new disease that can be deadly . 产生的这种新疾病是会致命的。
deadly:adj.致命的;非常的;死一般的;adv.非常;如死一般地;
We eat insects -- they're so distantly related from us that this doesn't happen. 大家吃昆虫,因为昆虫和我们非常不相像, 所以这种病毒的变异不会发生。
distantly:adv.远离地;疏远地;冷淡地;
So that's one point for insects. 这是食用昆虫的一点。
(Laughter) (笑声)
And there's the conversion factor . 还有转换因素。
conversion:n.转换;变换;[金融]兑换;改变信仰; factor:n.因素;要素;[物]因数;代理人;v.做代理商;v.把…作为因素计入;
You take 10 kilograms of feed, you can get one kilogram of beef, but you can get nine kilograms of locust meat. 用10公斤饲料, 大家可以得到1公斤的牛肉, 但也可以得到9公斤的蚱蜢肉。
So if you would be an entrepreneur , what would you do? 要是你是个企业家, 你会做什么?
entrepreneur:n.企业家;承包人;主办者;
With 10 kilograms of input , you can get either one or nine kg. of output . 10公斤的投入, 你会得到也许1公斤或者9公斤的产出。
input:n.投入; v.把(数据等)输入计算机; output:n.(人、机器、机构的)产量;输出;输出功率;输出量;v.输出;
So far we're taking the one, or up to five kilograms of output. 目前,我们只是选择了这 1公斤,或者5公斤的产出。
We're not taking the bonus yet. 我们还没选择那红利
We're not taking the nine kilograms of output yet. 那9公斤的产出。
So that's two points for insects. 这是昆虫的第二点好处。
(Laughter) (笑声)
And there's the environment. 还有环境。
If we take 10 kilograms of food -- 我们假如用10公斤饲料--
(Laughter) (笑声)
and it results in one kilogram of beef, the other nine kilograms are waste, and a lot of that is manure . 它会产出1公斤牛肉, 和其他9公斤的排泄物, 许多是粪便。
manure:vt.施肥于;耕种;n.肥料;粪肥;
If you produce insects, you have less manure per kilogram of meat that you produce. 假如你生产昆虫,你生产每公斤的昆虫肉, 你有更少的粪便。
So less waste. 更少的排泄物。
Furthermore , per kilogram of manure, you have much, much less ammonia and fewer greenhouse gases when you have insect manure than when you have cow manure. 此外,每公斤昆虫粪便 产生的氨 和温室气体, 比起牛的粪便 要少得多。
Furthermore:adv.此外;而且; ammonia:n.[无化]氨,阿摩尼亚; greenhouse:n.温室;暖房;
So you have less waste, and the waste that you have is not as environmental malign as it is with cow dung. 那么昆虫有更少的排泄物, 而且昆虫排泄物不像牛粪一样 对环境有害。
malign:vt.诽谤,污蔑;中伤,说坏话;adj.恶意的,恶性的;有害的;
So that's three points for insects. 这是昆虫的第三点好处。
(Laughter) (笑声)
Now there's a big "if," of course, and it is if insects produce meat that is of good quality. 当然还有个大疑问, 那就是昆虫是否能有肉类食品 那样高的营养价值。
Well there have been all kinds of analyses and in terms of protein, or fat, or vitamins , it's very good. 所有分析表明 昆虫的蛋白质,脂肪,还有维他命 都非常丰富。
analyses:n.分析;解析;分解;梗概(analysis的复数形式); vitamins:n.[生化]维生素;[生化]维他命;
In fact, it's comparable to anything we eat as meat at the moment. 事实上,它可以 和目前我们吃的任何肉食相媲美。
comparable to:可比较的,比得上的;
And even in terms of calories , it is very good. 即使按热量来衡量,昆虫也是很不错的。
calories:n.[物]卡路里(热量单位,calorie的复数);
One kilogram of grasshoppers has the same amount of calories as 10 hot dogs, or six Big Macs. 比起10个热狗,或者6个巨无霸, 一公斤蚱蜢能提供同等的 卡路里。
grasshoppers:n.草蜢; v.像蚱蜢似地跳;
So that's four points for insects. 这是食用昆虫的第四点好处。
(Laughter) (笑声)
I can go on, and I could make many more points for insects, but time doesn't allow this. 我可以继续说 许多食用昆虫的好处, 但时间不容许。
So the question is, why not eat insects? 所以问题是,为什么不食用昆虫呢?
I gave you at least four arguments in favor. 我已经给了大家至少4个食用昆虫的理由。
We'll have to. 我们得亲自试试。
Even if you don't like it, you'll have to get used to this because at the moment, 70 percent of all our agricultural land is being used to produce livestock. 即使你不喜欢吃昆虫, 你也得学着去适应它。 因为目前, 我们农业用地的百分之七十 都在用来饲养牲畜。
get used to:开始习惯于
That's not only the land where the livestock is walking and feeding, but it's also other areas where the feed is being produced and being transported . 这不仅包括 牲畜圈养地和喂养的地方, 还包括 用于生产和运输的饲料储存地。
transported:v.(用交通工具)运输,运送,输送;(transport的过去分词和过去式)
We can increase it a bit at the expense of rainforests , but there's a limitation very soon. 我们可以增加一点农业用地, 牺牲雨林, 但不久这就会到一个极限。
at the expense of:以…为代价;由…支付费用; rainforests:n.(热带)雨林; limitation:n.限制;局限;限度;控制;
And if you remember that we need to increase agricultural production by 70 percent, we're not going to make it that way. 如果大家记得,我们需要提高 农业生产百分之七十, 但我们做不到这点。
We could much better change from meat, from beef, to insects. 所以我们最好 从肉食,从牛肉, 转变到食用昆虫。
And then 80 percent of the world already eats insects, so we are just a minority -- in a country like the U.K., the USA, the Netherlands, anywhere. 世界上百分之八十的人 已经食用昆虫, 我们只是少数的一部分人, 例如来自英国,美国, 荷兰等其他地方的少数一部分不食用昆虫的人。
minority:n.少数民族;少数派;未成年;adj.少数的;属于少数派的;
On the left-hand side, you see a market in Laos where they have abundantly present all kinds of insects that you choose for dinner for the night. 在左手边,你看到的是老挝的市场 那里,人们会大量买卖 各种各样的昆虫,用来做晚餐。
left-hand:adj.左手的;左侧的; abundantly:adv.丰富地;大量地;
On the right-hand side you see a grasshopper. 在右手边,你看到的是蚱蜢。
right-hand:adj.得力的;右手的,用右手的;
So people there are eating them, not because they're hungry, but because they think it's a delicacy . 那里的人们吃蚱蜢, 不是因为他们没有肉吃, 而是因为他们觉得昆虫很美味。
delicacy:n.美味;佳肴;微妙;精密;精美;敏锐,敏感;世故,圆滑;
It's just very good food. 昆虫是非常棒的食物。
You can vary enormously. 人们可以享用很多种类的昆虫。
vary:vi.变化;变异;违反;vt.改变;使多样化;变奏;
It has many benefits. 这有很多好处。
In fact, we have delicacy that's very much like this grasshopper: shrimps , a delicacy being sold at a high price. 事实上,很多我们所谓的美味 像极了这种蚱蜢: 虾,一种美味 卖得很贵。
shrimps:n.基围虾;小虾米(shrimp的复数形式);
Who wouldn't like to eat a shrimp? 谁不喜欢吃虾呢?
There are a few people who don't like shrimp, but shrimp, or crabs , or crayfish , are very closely related. 极少的人不喜欢吃虾, 但是龙虾,螃蟹 或者小龙虾 都是非常相似的种类。
crabs:n.蟹类;吊钳;脾气坏的人(crab的复数);v.捕蟹;抱怨;侧航(crab的三单形式); crayfish:n.小龙虾;
They are delicacies. 它们都是美味佳肴。
In fact, a locust is a "shrimp" of the land, and it would make very good into our diet. 事实上,蚱蜢就是陆地上的龙虾, 蚱蜢会使我们的饮食变得非常丰富。
So why are we not eating insects yet? 那么我们为什么还不食用昆虫呢?
Well that's just a matter of mindset . 也许这是心理的问题。
mindset:n.心态;倾向;习惯;精神状态;
We're not used to it, and we see insects as these organisms that are very different from us. 我们不习惯吃昆虫, 我们视昆虫,这些生物与我们格格不入。
That's why we're changing the perception of insects. 这就是为什么我们正试图改变人们对昆虫的认知。
perception:n.感知;知觉;看法;洞察力;
And I'm working very hard with my colleague , Arnold van Huis , in telling people what insects are, what magnificent things they are, what magnificent jobs they do in nature. 我和我的同事, Arnold van Huis阿诺德·范·休伊斯,尽我们所能, 告诉人们什么是昆虫, 他们有什么特别之处, 在大自然中,他们起到怎样举足轻重的作用。
colleague:n.同事,同僚; van:n.厢式货车;客货车;v.选矿;用车搬运; Huis:abbr.转化糖内高剂量尿素(high-doseureaininvertsugar); magnificent:adj.高尚的;壮丽的;华丽的;宏伟的;
And in fact, without insects, we would not be here in this room, because if the insects die out, we will soon die out as well. 实际上,没有昆虫, 我们人类也不会出现在这屋子里。 因为如果昆虫灭绝, 我们人类也会很快灭绝。
If we die out, the insects will continue very happily. 假如人类灭绝了,昆虫还会很快乐地繁衍下去。
(Laughter) (笑声)
So we have to get used to the idea of eating insects. 所以我们得去适应食用昆虫的想法。
And some might think, well they're not yet available. 有些人会想,昆虫还没被量产以至于可以日常食用。
Well they are. 其实昆虫已经被量产。
There are entrepreneurs in the Netherlands that produce them, and one of them is here in the audience, 在荷兰,企业家们生产昆虫, 在现场观众中就有他们中的一员,
entrepreneurs:n.企业家;(entrepreneur的复数)
Marian Peeters, who's in the picture. 玛丽安.彼得斯,照片里的这位。
I predict that later this year, you'll get them in the supermarkets -- not visible , but as animal protein in the food. 我预计今年年底,大家会在超市买到昆虫食品, 不是一眼就能辨认出来,而是作为动物蛋白质 出现在食物里。
predict:v.预报;预言;预告; visible:adj.明显的;看得见的;现有的;可得到的;n.可见物;进出口贸易中的有形项目;
And maybe by 2020, you'll buy them just knowing that this is an insect that you're going to eat. 也许到2020年, 你买昆虫食品的时候就知道这是一种可食用的昆虫。
And they're being made in the most wonderful ways. 它们会被做成最美味的佳肴。
A Dutch chocolate maker. 一位荷兰的巧克力师傅。
Dutch:adj.荷兰的; n.荷兰人; v.费用平摊地;
(Music) (音乐)
(Applause) (掌声)
So there's even a lot of design to it. 可以有很多设计来制作昆虫巧克力。
(Laughter) (笑声)
Well in the Netherlands, we have an innovative Minister of Agriculture, and she puts the insects on the menu in her restaurant in her ministry . 在荷兰,我们有一位富有革新精神的农业部长, 在她任职期间,在餐馆她要求把昆虫 添加到主菜单。
innovative:adj.革新的,创新的; Minister:n.部长;大臣;牧师;vi.执行牧师职务;辅助或伺候某人; ministry:n.(政府的)部门;
And when she got all the Ministers of Agriculture of the E.U. 当她最近邀请欧盟所有农业部长
Ministers:n.部长,大臣; v.辅助; (minister的第三人称单数和复数)
over to the Hague recently , she went to a high-class restaurant, and they ate insects all together. 来海牙时, 她在一家高级餐馆招待所有部长, 他们所有人一起食用昆虫。
recently:adv.最近;新近; high-class:adj.高级的;一流的;
It's not something that is a hobby of mine. 这不是我的个人爱好。
It's really taken off the ground . 这是实实在在发生的事。
off the ground:已开始的;在进行中;
So why not eat insects? 为什么不吃昆虫呢?
You should try it yourself. 你得亲自试试。
A couple of years ago, we had 1,750 people all together in a square in Wageningen town, and they ate insects at the same moment, and this was still big, big news. 几年前,我们同时有1750个人一起, 在荷兰瓦赫宁恩城的广场上, 食用昆虫, 这在当时还是个大新闻。
I think soon it will not be big news anymore when we all eat insects, because it's just a normal way of doing. 我认为不久,当我们所有人都吃昆虫时,这就不会是大新闻了, 因为这再平常不过了。
So you can try it yourself today, and I would say, enjoy. 那么今天大家会亲自食用昆虫, 我会说享用吧。
And I'm going to show to Bruno some first tries, and he can have the first bite. 我有请布鲁诺来尝试一下, 他尝第一口。
(Applause) (掌声)
Bruno Giussani: Look at them first. Look at them first. Bruno Giussani布鲁诺·朱萨尼:先看看这些美味。
Marcel Dicke: It's all protein. Marcel Dicke马赛·狄基:都是蛋白质。
BG: That's exactly the same [one] you saw in the video actually. BG:它们的确是大家在视频里看到的昆虫美味。
And it looks delicious. 它们看起来非常可口。
They just make it [with] nuts or something. 他们用坚果或者别的东西来点缀昆虫。
MD: Thank you. MD:谢谢。
(Applause) (掌声)