返回首页

MarcKoska_2009G-_重新设计注射器的130万个理由_

Twenty-five-and-a-quarter years ago I read a newspaper article which said that one day syringes would be one of the major causes of the spread of AIDS, the transmission of AIDS. 25年以前我读过 一篇文章,说有一天 注射器将会成为 艾滋病传播的 和感染的最主要途径
syringes:n.(皮下)注射器; v.用注射器清洗(耳朵); (syringe的第三人称单数和复数) transmission:n.传输;传染;播送;发射;广播;传动装置;
I thought this was unacceptable . So I decided to do something about it. 绝不可如此。所以我想略尽微薄之力。
unacceptable:adj.不能接受(或允许、同意)的;
Sadly, it's come true. Malaria , as we all know, kills approximately one million people a year. 不幸的是,这件事已成为现实。众所周知, 疟疾每年会导致约一百万人死亡。
Malaria:n.[内科]疟疾;瘴气; approximately:adv.大约,近似地;近于;
The reuse of syringes now exceeds that and kills 1.3 million people a year. 岂料因重复使用注射器而导致的死亡人数已超过了疟疾, 每年它会杀死130万人。
exceeds:v.超过;胜过;
This young girl and her friend that I met in an orphanage in Delhi , were HIV positive from a syringe. 照片里面的这个小女孩和她的朋友 是我在德里的孤儿院碰到的 因为使用已用过的注射器而感染了艾滋病。
orphanage:n.孤儿院; Delhi:n.德里(印度城市名); HIV:n.艾滋病病毒; positive:adj.积极的;[数]正的,[医][化学]阳性的;确定的;n.正数;[摄]正片;
And what was so sad about this particular story was that once their parents had found out, and don't forget, their parents took them to the doctor, the parents threw them out on the street . 更为不幸的是 当他们的父母发现之后 他们的父母就带他们去医生那里做检查。 确认之后,就把他们遗弃了
out on the street:无家可归;失业;
And hence they ended up in an orphanage. 最后他们就成了孤儿。
hence:adv.因此;今后;
And it comes from situations like this where you have either skilled or unskilled practitioners , blindly giving an injection to someone. 这样的情况 无论是在熟练还是不熟练的护士身上都会发生 盲目的给人注射
unskilled:adj.无特长的;无(需)特别技能的;无(需)专门训练的; practitioners:n.实践者;开业者;实习者(practitioner的复数); blindly:adv.盲目地;轻率地;摸索地; injection:n.注射;大量资金的投入;(液体的)注入;
And the injection is so valuable , that the people basically trust the doctor, being second to God, which I've heard many times, to do the right thing. But in fact they're not. 因为注射很贵 所以人们通常都很相信医生 仅次于相信上帝,我经常听别人说 医生们总是对的,但是,事实上,他们不总是对的
valuable:adj.有价值的;贵重的;可估价的;n.贵重物品; basically:adv.主要地,基本上;
And you can understand, obviously, the transmission problem between people in high-virus areas. 正如你们所料,这种问题 于HIV病毒盛行的地方的严重性。
This video we took undercover , which shows you over a half an hour period, a tray of medicines of 42 vials . 现在看一下我们在印度的公立医院里面拍的这个小视频, 于半小时以内 托盘里面一共有42剂药
undercover:adj.秘密工作的;暗中做的;私下进行的; tray:n.盘;托盘;碟;(各种用途的)浅塑料盒; vials:n.(用于盛装香水、药物等的)小瓶;(vial的复数)
Which are being delivered with only 2 syringes in a public hospital in India. 但是仅仅使用了2支注射器
And over the course of half an hour, not one syringe was filmed being unwrapped . 在半个小时里面,再也没有 打开一支新的注射器
unwrapped:adj.解缠的;v.打开(unwrap的过去分词);
They started with two and they ended with two. 开始用两个最后还是那两个
And you'll see, just now, a nurse coming back to the tray, which is their sort of modular station, and dropping the syringe she's just used back in the tray for it to be picked up and used again. 看,一个护士走到托盘这里 这是他们放注射器的地方 把刚刚用过的注射器扔到里面 走到托盘这里,拿起来接着用
modular:adj.模块化的;模数的;有标准组件的;
So you can imagine the scale of this problem. 你想想这个问题有多么严重
scale:n.规模;比例;鳞;刻度;天平;数值范围;v.衡量;攀登;剥落;生水垢;
And in fact in India alone, 62 percent of all injections given are unsafe . 事实上,仅仅在印度,62% 的注射 根本就不安全。
injections:n.注射(injection的复数);注射剂;注射室; unsafe:adj.不安全的;危险的;不安稳的;
These kids in Pakistan don't go to school. 巴基斯坦的这些小孩根本不上学
They are lucky. They already have a job. 他们比较“幸运”。他们找到了工作
And that job is that they go around and pick up syringes from the back of hospitals, wash them, and in the course of this, obviously picking them up they injure themselves. 工作就是在医院后面到处转 拾起用过的注射器 洗干净,然后洗的时候 尤其是捡这些注射器的时候经常会划伤流血。
in the course of:在…过程中;在…期间; injure:v.伤害,使受伤;损害,伤害;
And then they repackage them and sell them out on markets for literally more money than a sterile syringe, in the first place . Which is quite bizarre . 然后冲洗包装,且拿到市场上面去卖 因为这样可以挣更多的钱 跟一个消毒的注射器相比的话。太怪了
repackage:vt.重新包装;重新装配; literally:adv.按字面:字面上:确实地: sterile:adj.不育的;无菌的;贫瘠的;不毛的;枯燥乏味的; in the first place:首先;起初; bizarre:adj.奇异的(指态度,容貌,款式等);
In an interesting photo, their father, while we were talking to him, picked up a syringe and pricked his finger -- 这个照片比较有意思。当我们跟他们爸爸聊天的时候 他拿起一个注射器,刺破了他的手指
pricked:v.扎;刺;戳;扎破,刺破(皮肤);(prick的过去分词和过去式)
I don't know whether you can see the drop of blood on the end -- and immediately whipped out a box of matches, lit one, and burned the blood off the end of his finger, giving me full assurance that that was the way that you stopped the transmission of HIV. 不知道你们有没有看到注射器末端的的那滴血 然后他打开一盒火柴 点着,烧掉了从他指头尖往下滴的那滴血 信誓旦旦地保证 这样做就能阻止HIV的传播
whipped:v.鞭打;鞭策;除去,抽出(whip的过去分词和过去式) assurance:n.保证,担保;(人寿)保险;确信;断言;厚脸皮,无耻;
In China, recycling is a major issue . 在中国,注射器的回收是个大问题
recycling:n.(资源,垃圾的)回收利用;v.回收;再循环利用(recycle的现在分词); issue:n.重要议题;争论的问题;v.宣布;公布;发出;发行;
And they are collected en mass -- you can see the scale of it here -- and sorted out, by hand, back into the right sizes, and then put back out on the street. 注射器被成堆的堆在这里,这个图里面能看出来 然后手工按照注射器大小分类 然后分好类,弄在一起
mass:n.块,团; adj.群众的,民众的; v.聚集起来,聚集;
So recycling and reuse are the major issues here. 所以,注射器的回收和再利用 在中国是个很大的问题
issues:n.重要议题;争论的问题;v.宣布;公布;发出;(issue的第三人称单数和复数)
But there was one interesting anecdote that I found in Indonesia . 我还在印度尼西亚发现了一个有趣的事
anecdote:n.轶事;奇闻;秘史; Indonesia:n.印尼,印度尼西亚(东南亚岛国);
In all schools in Indonesia, there is usually a toy seller in the playground. 在印度尼西亚的学校里边 通常学校操场旁边会有卖玩具的
The toy seller, in this case, had syringes, which they usually do, next door to the diggers , which is obviously what you would expect. 这里面这个卖玩具的 他们通常也卖注射器 跟你猜的差不多 他们是从拾荒者那里弄来的
next door to:几乎;与…相邻; diggers:n.挖掘机;挖掘者;男人;家伙;(digger的复数)
And they use them, in the breaks, for water pistols . 这些孩子课间的时候拿这些注射器当水枪玩
pistols:n.[军]手枪(pistol的复数);v.用手枪射击(pistol的三单形式);
They squirt them at each other. Which is lovely and innocent . 他们总是灌上水互相喷着玩。挺可爱,也挺天真
squirt:v.(使)喷射;喷;n.喷射出的一股液体;小矮子;小屁孩; innocent:adj.无辜的;无罪的;无知的;n.天真的人;笨蛋;
And they are having great fun. 他们玩的也很高兴
But they also drink from them while they're in their breaks, because it's hot. 但是有的时候他们也用注射器喝水 尤其是课间休息的时候,他们经常这样,因为天很热
And they squirt the water into their mouths. 他们对着嘴用水枪喷水
And these are used with traces of blood visible . 这些水枪里面有的时候会有血迹
traces:v.跟踪;探索;n.痕迹;踪迹;(trace的复数和第三人单数) visible:adj.明显的;看得见的;现有的;可得到的;n.可见物;进出口贸易中的有形项目;
So we need a better product. And we need better information. 所以我们需要一种更好的注射器,让大家都知道怎么正确使用注射器
And I think, if I can just borrow this camera, 我想,能不能拍一下这个
I was going to show you my invention, which I came up with. 这就是我的发明 我自己想出来的
So, it's a normal-looking syringe. 恩,很普通的一个注射器。
You load it up in the normal way. This is made on existing equipment in 14 factories that we license . 使用跟普通的注射器完全一样。有14个我们给了许可证 的企业里面都能生产。
license:v.许可;批准;
You give the injection and then put it down. 你注射完然后扔到一边
If someone then tries to reuse it, it locks and breaks afterwards. 如果有人想重新使用这个注射器的话 这个注射器就会自锁,再也没法用了
It's very very simple. Thank you. 非常非常简单。谢谢大家。
(Applause) (掌声)
And it costs the same as a normal syringe. 这种新型注射器与普通的注射器成本完全一样
And in comparison , a Coca-Cola is 10 times the price. 对比一下,大约仅相当于一瓶可口可乐 价钱的十分之一。
comparison:n.比较;对比;相比; Coca-Cola:n.可口可乐(美国饮料公司);
And that will stop reusing a syringe 20 or 30 times. 同时呢,如果用这种注射器,那种一个注射器用二三十次的事情就再也不会发生了。
And I have an information charity which has done huge scale amount of work in India. 我在印度做了 很多免费的宣传
charity:n.慈善;施舍;慈善团体;宽容;施舍物;
And we're very proud of giving information to people 我们竭尽全力把这种信息告诉人们
So that little kids like this don't do stupid things. 这样,小孩子就再也不干这种傻事了。
Thank you very much. 谢谢大家。
(Applause) (掌声)