|
|
ManwarAli_2016X-_窥探前激进圣战士的内心_
|
Today I stand before you as a man who lives life to the full in the here and now . |
今天我以能在此时此刻彻底享受人生的身分 站在你们面前。 |
to the full:充分地;完全地; here and now:此时此地;立刻;
|
But for a long time, |
但曾有很长一段期间, |
I lived for death. |
我为死亡而活。 |
I was a young man who believed that jihad is to be understood in the language of force and violence . |
我年少时相信 所谓圣战即代表了武力及暴力。 |
jihad:n.讨伐异教徒;拥护运动;护教战争; violence:n.暴力;侵犯;激烈;歪曲;
|
I tried to right wrongs through power and aggression . |
我试着透过力量和侵略修正他人的错误。 |
aggression:n.侵略;侵犯;攻击性;好斗情绪;
|
I had deep concerns for the suffering of others and a strong desire to help and bring relief to them. |
我深切地关心正在受苦受难的旁人, 并强烈地想幫助他们解脱。 |
concerns:n.关注; v.使关心(concern的三单形式); relief:n.救济;减轻,解除;安慰;浮雕;
|
I thought violent jihad was noble , chivalrous and the best way to help. |
我认为暴力性的圣战是一种高贵、 骁勇的行为, 也是幫助他人的最佳解药。 |
violent:adj.暴力的;猛烈的; noble:adj.高尚的;贵族的;惰性的;宏伟的;n.贵族; chivalrous:adj.侠义的;骑士的;有武士风度的;
|
At a time when so many of our people -- young people especially -- are at risk of radicalization through groups like al-Qaeda , |
在我们族群之中很多人── 特别是年轻人── 透过像是盖达、 伊斯兰国或其他组织, |
especially:adv.尤其;特别;格外;十分; radicalization:n.激进,激进化; al-Qaeda:n.基地组织;
|
Islamic State and others, when these groups are claiming that their horrific brutality and violence are true jihad, |
因而处在激进化的边缘, 当这些组织声称 他们的暴行才是真正的圣战之时, |
Islamic:adj.穆斯林的; claiming:v.声称;要求给予;理应获得;(claim的现在分词) horrific:adj.可怕的;令人毛骨悚然的; brutality:n.无情;残忍;暴行(需用复数形式);
|
I want to say that their idea of jihad is wrong -- completely wrong -- as was mine, then. |
我得说他们对圣战这两个字的概念有误── 大错特错── 就像是那时的我所认为的一样。 |
Jihad means to strive to one's utmost . |
圣战代表要尽一个人的全力。 |
strive:v.力求;斗争;反抗;(strive的第三人称单数) utmost:n.极限;最大可能;adj.极度的;最远的;
|
It includes exertion and spirituality , self-purification and devotion . |
这包含了各层面的功修、 自我净化, 以及奉献精神。 |
exertion:n.发挥;运用;努力; spirituality:n.灵性;精神性; self-purification:n.自然净化; devotion:n.献身,奉献;忠诚;热爱;
|
It refers to positive transformation through learning, wisdom and remembrance of God. |
圣战代表了透过学习、智慧 和纪念真主的正向转型。 |
refers:v.谈及;提到;提及;涉及;描述;(refer的第三人称单数) positive:adj.积极的;[数]正的,[医][化学]阳性的;确定的;n.正数;[摄]正片; transformation:n.转变;(用于南非)民主改革; wisdom:n.智慧;明智;才智;学问; remembrance:n.回想,回忆;纪念品;记忆力;
|
The word jihad stands for all those meanings as a whole . |
圣战这一词概括了前述的所有概念。 |
as a whole:总的来说;
|
Jihad may at times take the form of fighting, but only sometimes, under strict conditions, within rules and limits. |
圣战有时的确透过打斗的形式, 但只是有时候, 存在于严格的条件、 规则与限制之下。 |
In Islam, the benefit of an act must outweigh the harm or hardship it entails . |
伊斯兰教相信, 一个行为带来的好处,必须大于其将带来的伤害。 |
outweigh:vt.比…重(在重量上);比…重要;比…有价值; hardship:n.艰难;困苦;拮据; entails:vt.使需要,必需;承担;遗传给;蕴含;n.引起;需要;继承;
|
More importantly, the verses in the Koran that are connected to jihad or fighting do not cancel out the verses that talk about forgiveness , benevolence or patience . |
更重要的是, 可兰经中对于圣战或打斗的描述, 不能抵消经文中对于饒恕、 仁爱、 以及耐心的价值。 |
verses:诗; Koran:n.《可兰经》,《古兰经》(伊斯兰教); cancel out:取消;抵销; forgiveness:n.宽恕;原谅;宽宏大量 benevolence:n.仁慈;善行; patience:n.耐性,耐心;忍耐,容忍;
|
But now I believe that there are no circumstances on earth where violent jihad is permissible , because it will lead to greater harm. |
现在我相信地球上没有任何地方 会允许暴力性的圣战, 因为这只会带来更大的伤害。 |
circumstances:n.情况;环境;情形;(circumstance的复数) permissible:adj.可允许的;获得准许的;
|
But now the idea of jihad has been hijacked . |
但如今圣战的定义被劫持去了。 |
hijacked:劫持;强行控制;
|
It has been perverted to mean violent struggle wherever Muslims are undergoing difficulties, and turned into terrorism by fascistic Islamists like al-Qaeda, |
它反常地代表了暴力性的斗争: 每当穆斯林遇到困难, 就会因为像是盖达、 伊斯兰国等法西斯伊斯兰教徒 |
perverted:adj.反常的;变态的:v.败坏;误导;误用(pervert的过去式和过去分词) undergoing:v.经历,经受(变化、不快的事等);(undergo的现在分词) terrorism:n.恐怖主义; fascistic:adj.法西斯党的;法西斯主义的(等于fascist);
|
Islamic State and others. |
而变成恐怖份子。 |
But I have come to understand that true jihad means striving to the utmost to strengthen and live those qualities which God loves: honesty, trustworthiness , compassion , benevolence, reliability , respect, truthfulness -- human values that so many of us share. |
但我现在瞭解了, 真正的圣战代表了尽全力 加强并活出真主所喜爱的特质: 正直、信赖、 同情、仁爱、 可靠、尊重、 和真诚── 这都是众人所共享的价值观。 |
striving:n.努力;奋斗;v.努力;奋斗;力争;力求;(strive的现在分词) trustworthiness:n.可信赖;确实性; compassion:n.同情;怜悯; reliability:n.可靠性; truthfulness:n.真实;坦率;正当;
|
I was born in Bangladesh, but grew up mostly in England. |
我出生于孟加拉, 但多数时间在英国长大。 |
And I went to school here. |
也在这里就学。 |
My father was an academic , and we were in the UK through his work. |
我父亲是位学者, 我们因为他的工作来到英国。 |
academic:adj.学术的;理论的;学院的;n.大学生,大学教师;学者;
|
In 1971 we were in Bangladesh when everything changed. |
1971 年我们在孟加拉,一切风云变色。 |
The War of Independence impacted upon us terribly, pitting family against family, neighbor against neighbor. |
独立战争严重冲击我们, 造成家家对立, 邻里反目成仇。 |
Independence:n.独立;独立性;自恃心;独立不羁的精神; impacted:adj.压紧的;结实的;嵌入的;(人口)稠密的;v.装紧;挤满(impact的过去分词); pitting:n.凹陷; v.窖藏; adj.点状的;
|
And at the age of 12 I experienced war, destitution in my family, the deaths of 22 of my relatives in horrible ways, as well as the murder of my elder brother. |
我 12 岁时就经历了战争、 家道中落、 22 位亲戚惨死, 同时我哥哥被谋杀。 |
destitution:n.穷困;缺乏; relatives:n.亲戚;亲属;同类事物;(relative的复数) horrible:可怕的,极讨厌的, as well as:也;和…一样;不但…而且;
|
I witnessed killing ... |
我见证了杀戮… |
witnessed:v.当场看到,目击;见证;作证;(witness的过去式和过去分词)
|
animals feeding on corpses in the streets, starvation all around me, wanton , horrific violence -- senseless violence. |
动物啃食街道上的尸体, 大家莫不饥饿难耐, 还有可怕的暴行肆虐—— 无谓的暴行。 |
corpses:n.尸体(corpse的复数形式); starvation:n.饿死;挨饿;绝食; wanton:adj.嬉戏的; n.荡妇; vi.放肆; vt.挥霍; senseless:adj.愚蠢的;无知觉的;无意识的;
|
I was a young man, teenager, fascinated by ideas. |
我那时还年轻, 为各种想法着迷。 |
I wanted to learn, but I could not go to school for four years. |
我想学习, 但我整整 4 年无法就学。 |
After the War of Independence, my father was put in prison for two and a half years, and I used to visit him every week in prison, and homeschooled myself. |
独立战争之后, 我父亲坐了两年半的牢。 我每个礼拜都去探监, 并在家自学。 |
My father was released in 1973 and he fled to England as a refugee , and we soon followed him. |
我父亲于 1973 年被释放, 他以难民的身分逃去英国, 我们之后也跟着他去。 |
released:v.释放;使免除;已发布;(release的过去分词和过去式) fled:v.迅速离开;逃避,逃跑;(flee的过去分词和过去式) refugee:n.难民;避难者;逃亡者;v.避难;adj.避难的;
|
I was 17. |
我那年 17 岁。 |
So these experiences gave me a sharp awareness of the atrocities and injustices in the world. |
这些经验 让我清楚地意识到世界上的暴行和不公不义。 |
sharp:锋利的,尖的 awareness:n.意识,认识;明白,知道; atrocities:n.暴行(atrocity的复数);残忍; injustices:n.不公正;不讲道义;
|
And I had a strong desire -- a very keen , deep desire -- to right wrongs and help the victims of oppression . |
而我产生强烈的欲望── 深至心坎的强烈欲望── 要修正错误, 并幫助受压迫的人们。 |
keen:adj.敏锐的,敏捷的;渴望的;强烈的;热心的;锐利的;n.痛哭,挽歌; oppression:n.压抑;镇压;压迫手段;沉闷;苦恼;
|
While studying at college in the UK, |
当我在英国读大学时, |
I met others who showed me how I could channel that desire and help through my religion. |
我遇到了能教我实现愿望的人, 他们将透过我的信仰幫忙。 |
And I was radicalized -- enough to consider violence correct, even a virtue under certain circumstances. |
而我就被激进化了── 这足以将暴力合理化, 在一些情况下,甚至认为这是种美德。 |
radicalized:vt.使…激进;使…偏激;vi.激进化;成为过激论者; virtue:n.美德;优点;贞操;功效;
|
So I became involved in the jihad in Afghanistan . |
所以我参加了在阿富汗的圣战。 |
involved:adj.有关的; v.涉及; (involve的过去式和过去分词) Afghanistan:n.阿富汗(国家名称,位于亚洲);
|
I wanted to protect the Muslim Afghan population against the Soviet army. |
我想保护阿富汗的穆斯林人口对抗苏联军队。 |
Soviet:adj.苏维埃的;苏联的;n.苏维埃(前苏联的各级代表会议);苏联人;
|
And I thought that was jihad: my sacred duty, which would be rewarded by God. |
我认为这就是圣战: 我的天职, 将为真主所赞扬。 |
rewarded:v.奖励;奖赏;给以报酬;(reward的过去分词和过去式)
|
I became a preacher . |
我成了传教者。 |
preacher:n.牧师;传教士;鼓吹者;
|
I was one of the pioneers of violent jihad in the UK. |
我是英国暴力圣战的先锋。 |
I recruited , |
我招募、 |
recruited:v.招聘,雇佣;招募;(recruit的过去分词和过去式)
|
I raised funds , I trained. |
我集资、我训练。 |
funds:n.[会计]资金,现金(fund的复数);基金;v.资助(fund的三单形式);提供资金;
|
I confused true jihad with this perversion as presented by the fascist Islamists -- these people who use the idea of jihad to justify their lust for power, authority and control on earth: |
我将真正的圣战, 和法西斯伊斯兰教徒所提出的偏差圣战搞混了。 这些人假圣战之名 将他们对一统天下的欲望合理化: |
confused:adj.困惑的; v.使糊涂; (confuse的过去分词和过去式) perversion:n.反常行为;(性)变态;颠倒;歪曲;颠倒是非; justify:v.证明合法;整理版面;替…辩护; lust:n.性欲;强烈的欲望;vi.贪求,渴望; authority:n.权威;权力;当局;
|
a perversion perpetuated today by fascist Islamist groups like al-Qaeda, Islamic State and others. |
这种偏差思想被激进伊斯兰组织延续至今, 像是盖达、伊斯兰国等。 |
perpetuated:vt.使不朽;保持;adj.长存的; Islamist:n.伊斯兰教主义者;回教教徒;
|
For a period of around 15 years, |
大概有 15 年的时间, |
I fought for short periods of time in Kashmir and Burma , besides Afghanistan. |
我除了在阿富汗, 还在喀什米尔和缅甸 做短暂的攻击。 |
Burma:n.缅甸(东南亚国家); besides:adv.此外;而且;prep.除…之外;
|
Our aim was to remove the invaders , to bring relief to the oppressed victims and of course to establish an Islamic state, a caliphate for God's rule. |
我们的目标是驱除侵略者, 解放受压迫的人, 当然还有建立伊斯兰版图, 一个由真主统治的哈里发国。 |
invaders:n.侵略者(invader的复数);侵入种; oppressed:adj.受压制的,受压迫的;v.压迫;折磨(oppress的过去分词); establish:v.创立;设立;建立;确立;使立足;查实; caliphate:n.伊斯兰教国王的职权或其领域;
|
And I did this openly. |
我公开地做这些事。 |
I didn't break any laws. |
我没犯任何一条法律。 |
I was proud and grateful to be British -- |
我以身为英国人为榮── |
I still am. |
至今我仍然如此。 |
And I bore no hostility against this, my country, nor enmity towards the non-Muslim citizens, and I still don't. |
过去我对这里,对我的国家没有敌意, 对非穆斯林也没有敌意, 我现在还是没有。 |
bore:v.钻孔;使烦扰;n.孔;令人讨厌的人; hostility:n.敌意;战争行动; enmity:n.敌意;憎恨;
|
During one battle in Afghanistan, some British men and I formed a special bond with a 15-year-old Afghani boy, |
在阿富汗的一次打斗当中, 我和一些英国人对一位 15 岁的阿富汗男孩 产生了特别的连结。 |
Abdullah, an innocent , loving and lovable kid who was always eager to please. |
他叫阿布杜拉, 是个纯真、讨喜的孩子, 永远都是那么愿意提供协助。 |
innocent:adj.无辜的;无罪的;无知的;n.天真的人;笨蛋; lovable:adj.可爱的,讨人喜欢的;
|
He was poor. |
他很穷。 |
And boys like him did menial tasks in the camp. |
像他一样的男孩在营区都负责卑微的工作, |
menial:adj.卑微的;仆人的;适合仆人做的;n.仆人;住家佣工;下贱的人;
|
And he seemed happy enough, but I couldn't help wonder -- his parents must have missed him dearly . |
但他看起来心满意足, 但我不禁想到 他的家长一定非常想念他。 |
dearly:adv.深深地;昂贵地;
|
And they must have dreamt about a better future for him. |
他们也一定曾为他梦想过更好的未来。 |
A victim of circumstance caught up in a war, cruelly thrust upon him by the cruel circumstances of the time. |
这是战争下的受害者, 残酷的社会条件 无情地袭击至他身上。 |
victim:n.受害人;牺牲品;牺牲者; cruelly:adv.残酷地;非常; thrust:v.刺;塞;冲;挤;n.刺;插;重点;猛推;
|
One day I picked up this unexploded mortar shell in a trench , and I had it deposited in a makeshift mud hut lab. |
一天我在壕沟捡起一个未爆的迫击炮弹, 并将之放在一个临时搭建的土屋实验室, |
unexploded:adj.未爆炸的;装着炸药的;未发射的; mortar:n.迫击炮;臼,研钵;灰浆;vt.用灰泥涂抹,用灰泥结合; shell:n.壳;炮弹;壳层;骨架;v.脱壳;剥壳;采集贝壳;用壳体包被;short.shewill; trench:n.沟,沟渠;战壕;堑壕;vt.掘沟;vi.挖战壕;侵害; deposited:v.存放;储存;放置(deposit的过去分词);adj.存放的;堆积的; makeshift:n.权宜之计;凑合;临时措施;将就;adj.临时的;权宜之计的;凑合的; hut:n.小屋;木屋;[军事]临时营房;[美俚]牢房;v.(使)住临时营房[小屋];
|
And I went out on a short, pointless skirmish -- always pointless, |
然后就出去打一场毫无意义的小战斗── 争斗一直以来都毫无意义── |
pointless:adj.无意义的;钝的;不尖的;不得要领的; skirmish:n.小冲突,小规模战斗;小争论;vi.进行小规模战斗;发生小争论;
|
And I came back a few hours later to discover he was dead. |
几个小时后我回来,男孩已经死了。 |
He had tried to recover explosives from that shell. |
他试图取出里面的炸药, |
explosives:n.爆炸物,[化工]炸药;爆炸品(explosive的复数);
|
It exploded, and he died a violent death, blown to bits by the very same device that had proved harmless to me. |
然后就被炸死了, 被我认为无害的那个装置炸得灰飞烟灭。 |
device:n.装置;策略;图案;
|
So I started to question. |
我开始问, |
How did his death serve any purpose? |
他的死有任何意义吗? |
Why did he die and I lived? |
为什么他死了我却活了下来? |
I carried on. |
日子继续下去。 |
I fought in Kashmir. |
我在喀什米尔打仗。 |
I also recruited for the Philippines , |
我也为菲律宾、 |
Philippines:n.菲律宾;
|
Bosnia and Chechnya . |
波士尼亚和车臣招募新成员。 |
Bosnia:n.波斯尼亚;波士尼亚; Chechnya:n.车臣;
|
And the questions grew. |
然而疑问愈来愈多。 |
Later in Burma, |
之后在缅甸, |
I came across Rohingya fighters, who were barely teenagers, born and brought up in the jungle , carrying machine guns and grenade launchers . |
我遇到罗兴亚人战士, 他们几乎都是青少年, 在丛林里长大成人, 他们带着机枪和手榴弹。 |
barely:adv.仅仅,勉强;几乎不;公开地;贫乏地; jungle:n.密林;尔虞我诈的环境;危险地带; grenade:n.手榴弹;灭火弹;v.扔手榴弹;用催泪弹攻击; launchers:n.发射器;发射台;发射者;
|
I met two 13-year-olds with soft manners and gentle voices. |
我遇到两个 13 岁,彬彬有礼、口气平顺的孩子。 |
Looking at me, they begged me to take them away to England. |
他们看着我, 求我带他们去英国。 |
They simply wanted to go to school -- that was their dream. |
他们只是单纯地想上学── 这对他们来说是梦想。 |
My family -- my children of the same age -- were living at home in the UK, going to school, living a safe life. |
我的家人── 跟他们同龄的小孩── 都住在英国, 正常就学, 生活安稳。 |
And I couldn't help wonder how much these young boys must have spoken to one another about their dreams for such a life. |
我不禁纳闷, 有多少这样的男孩,得跟其他人 表露他们对这种生活的渴望。 |
Victims of circumstances: these two young boys, sleeping rough on the ground, looking up at the stars, cynically exploited by their leaders for their personal lust for glory and power. |
时局下的受害者: 这两个男孩, 躺在粗糙的地上,仰望繁星, 被他们的领导者肆无忌惮的利用, 只为了满足他们对权力和虚榮的欲望。 |
cynically:adv.爱嘲笑地;冷笑地; exploited:v.剥削;压榨;运用;利用;发挥(exploit的过去分词和过去式) personal:adj.个人的;身体的;亲自的;n.人事消息栏;人称代名词;
|
I soon witnessed boys like them killing one another in conflicts between rival groups. |
我不久就见到这些男孩 因为敌对群体的纷争自相残杀。 |
conflicts:n.冲突; v.抵触; rival:v.与…相匹敌;比得上;adj.竞争的;n.竞争对手;
|
And it was the same everywhere ... |
而且到处都一样── |
Afghanistan, Kashmir, Burma, |
阿富汗、喀什米尔、缅甸 |
Philippines, Chechnya; petty warlords got the young and vulnerable to kill one another in the name of jihad. |
菲律宾、车臣; 小军阀让年轻人和弱势者 |
petty:adj.琐碎的;小气的;小规模的; warlords:n.军阀;(warlord的复数) vulnerable:adj.易受攻击的,易受…的攻击;易受伤害的;有弱点的; in the name of:以…的名义;
|
Muslims against Muslims. |
穆斯林对抗穆斯林。 |
Not protecting anyone against invaders or occupiers; not bringing relief to the oppressed. |
既不是对抗入侵者或占领者; 也没有解救受压迫的人民。 |
Children being used, cynically exploited; people dying in conflicts which I was supporting in the name of jihad. |
小孩被利用, 肆无忌惮的剥削; 人们死于冲突, 而我以圣战之名支援这些纷争。 |
And it still carries on today. |
时至今日这些情况还是存在。 |
Realizing that the violent jihad |
我惊觉到我在海外 |
I had engaged in abroad was so different -- such a chasm between what I had experienced and what I thought was sacred duty -- |
所参与的暴力圣战, 跟我内心所想的完全不同。 我所经历的,和我认为的神圣天职 有极大的断层。 |
engaged in:从事于;忙于; abroad:adv.在国外;到海外;adj.往国外的;n.海外;异国; chasm:n.峡谷;裂口;分歧;深坑;
|
I had to reflect on my activities here in the UK. |
我得反思我在英国这里的行为。 |
reflect on:仔细考虑,思考;反省;回想,回顾;怀疑;
|
I had to consider my preaching , recruiting , fund-raising , training, but most importantly, radicalizing -- sending young people to fight and die as I was doing -- all totally wrong. |
我得承认我的传教、 招募、集资、 训练, 还有最重要的,激进化── 也就是送年轻人去战死 这些事── 大错特错。 |
preaching:v.讲道(尤指教堂中礼拜时); n.讲道; (preach的现在分词) recruiting:v.吸收(新成员);征募(新兵);动员;(recruit的现在分词) fund-raising:n.筹募基金活动; radicalizing:vt.使…激进;使…偏激;vi.激进化;成为过激论者;
|
So I got involved in violent jihad in the mid '80s, starting with Afghanistan. |
我在 80 年代中期参与暴力圣战, 从阿富汗发迹, |
And by the time I finished it was in the year 2000. |
而这一切止于 2000 年。 |
I was completely immersed in it. |
我那时沉浸在圣战之中。 |
immersed:adj.沉入的; v.浸没; (immerse的过去分词和过去式)
|
All around me people supported, applauded , even celebrated what we were doing in their name. |
我身边的人都支持我、 赞同我、 甚至庆祝我们的所作所为。 |
applauded:v.鼓掌;称赞;赞许;赞赏(applaud的过去分词和过去式)
|
But by the time I learned to get out, completely disillusioned in the year 2000, 15 years had passed. |
但当我觉醒时, 在 2000 年彻底幻灭时, 已经 15 年过去了。 |
disillusioned:adj.醒悟的; v.使幻想破灭(disillusion的过去分词);
|
So what goes wrong? |
哪里出错了? |
We were so busy talking about virtue, and we were blinded by a cause. |
我们忙着谈论美德, 并被理想所盲目。 |
And we did not give ourselves a chance to develop a virtuous character. |
我们并没有给自己机会发展美善的性格。 |
virtuous:adj.善良的;有道德的;贞洁的;正直的;有效力的;
|
We told ourselves we were fighting for the oppressed, but these were unwinnable wars. |
我们告诉自己这是在为受苦受难的人奋斗, 但这是场赢不了的战争。 |
unwinnable:adj.攻不破的;不能取胜的;不能赢得的;
|
We became the very instrument through which more deaths occurred , complicit in causing further misery for the selfish benefit of the cruel few. |
我们成为死神的工具, 为了少数残暴者的自私自利, 制造更多的悲剧。 |
instrument:n.仪器;工具;乐器;手段;器械; occurred:v.发生;出现;存在于;出现在;(occur的过去分词和过去式) complicit:adj.有同谋关系的,串通一气的; misery:n.痛苦,悲惨;不幸;苦恼;穷困;
|
So over time, a very long time, |
时间流逝, 过了好一阵子, |
I opened my eyes. |
我睁开双眼, |
I began to dare to face the truth, to think, to face the hard questions. |
我开始有勇气 面对真相, 开始思考, 开始面对艰难的问题。 |
I got in touch with my soul. |
我与我内心的灵魂接触。 |
in touch with:同…有联系,和…有接触;
|
What have I learned? |
那我学到了什么? |
That people who engage in violent jihadism, that people who are drawn to these types of extremisms, are not that different to everyone else. |
参加暴力圣战的人、 堕入极端主义的人, 其实并没有与我们相差甚远。 |
But I believe such people can change. |
我相信那些人是可以改变的。 |
They can regain their hearts and restore them by filling them with human values that heal . |
他们能重拾本心, 能用疗伤止痛的人性价值填补心中的缺口。 |
regain:vt.再次得到;重新获得,恢复;返回;n.恢复;收复;收回 restore:v.恢复;修复;恢复(某种情况或感受);使复原; heal:v.复原;治疗(病人);使又愉快起来;(使)结束
|
When we ignore the realities, we discover that we accept what we are told without critical reflection . |
当我们忽略现实, 我们会毫无疑问地接受被告知的东西。 |
ignore:v.驳回诉讼;忽视;不理睬; critical:adj.鉴定的;[核]临界的;批评的,爱挑剔的;危险的;决定性的;评论的; reflection:n.反映;沉思;映像;深思;
|
And we ignore the gifts and advantages that many of us would cherish even for a single moment in their lives. |
我们也会忽视众所珍爱的天赋和优势, 即便那仅占了生命的一小部分。 |
advantages:n.有利条件; v.有利于; cherish:v.珍爱;怀有(感情等);抱有(希望等);
|
I engaged in actions I thought were correct. |
我做了我认为对的事。 |
But now I began to question how I knew what I knew. |
但我现在开始质疑我怎么知道我知道什么。 |
I endlessly told others to accept the truth, but I failed to give doubt its rightful place. |
我无止尽地要众人接受真理, 但我忘了质疑它的合宜性。 |
endlessly:adv.不断地;无穷尽地; rightful:adj.合法的;正当的;公正的;正直的;
|
This conviction that people can change is rooted in my experience, my own journey . |
人能改变的信念根深蒂固在我的经验中, 也在我人生的旅途中。 |
conviction:n.判罪;定罪;坚定的看法(或信念);坚信;肯定; journey:n.旅行;行程;vi.旅行;
|
Through wide reading, reflecting , contemplation , self-knowledge , |
透过广泛阅读、 反省、 沉思、自我认知, |
reflecting:v.反映;映出(影像);反射;显示,表明,表达;(reflect的现在分词) contemplation:n.沉思;注视;意图; self-knowledge:n.自觉,自知之明;
|
I discovered, |
我发现,我了解到 |
I realized that Islamists' world of us and them is false and unjust . |
|
unjust:adj.不公平的,不公正的;非正义的;
|
Through considering the uncertainties in all that we had asserted , to the inviolable truths, incontestable truths, |
透过反思所有我们主张的事实, 反思我们认为不可侵犯、 无庸置疑的事实, |
uncertainties:n.[数]不确定性;不确定因素(uncertainty的复数); asserted:adj.宣称的;声称的;v.宣称;声称(assert的过去分词); inviolable:adj.不可侵犯的;神圣的;不可亵渎的; incontestable:adj.无可争辩的;无可置疑的,不可否认的;明确的;
|
I developed a more nuanced understanding. |
我产生了更深入细微的理解。 |
nuanced:adj.微妙的; v.精确细腻地表演;
|
I realized that in a world crowded with variation and contradiction , foolish preachers , only foolish preachers like I used to be, see no paradox in the myths and fictions th ey use to asser t nt color="Black"> authenticity . |
我发现在这充满歧异与矛盾的世界, 愚昧的传教者, 也只有像过去的我这种愚昧的传教者, 才会看不出他们所断言的真相其实充满矛盾。 |
variation:n.变异;变体;变奏;变种; contradiction:n.矛盾;反驳;驳斥; preachers:n.牧师;传教士;鼓吹者; authenticity:n.真实性,确实性;可靠性;
|
So I understood the vital importance of self-knowledge, political awareness and the necessity for a deep and wide understanding of our commitments and our actions, how they affect others. |
我理解了自我认知、 政治意识、 及深入理解我们所作所为的必要性, 及这些会如何影响他人, 是何其的重要。 |
vital:adj.至关重要的;生死攸关的;有活力的; commitments:n.承诺,保证;委托;承担义务;献身;(commitment的复数)
|
So my plea today to everyone, especially those who sincerely believe in Islamist jihadism ... |
所以我今天向大家恳求, 特别是真诚相信伊斯兰圣战的人, |
plea:n.请求;恳求;答辩;借口; sincerely:adv.真诚地;由衷地,诚恳地;
|
refuse dogmatic authority; let go of anger, hatred and violence; learn to right wrongs without even attempting to justify cruel, unjust and futile behavior. |
要拒绝武断性的权威; 放下愤怒、仇恨与暴戾之气; 学习不要以报复残虐、 不公正的行为来修正错误。 |
dogmatic:adj.教条的;武断的; hatred:n.仇恨;憎恨;厌恶; attempting:v.努力;尝试;试图;(attempt的现在分词) futile:adj.无用的;无效的;没有出息的;琐细的;不重要的;
|
Instead create a few beautiful and useful things that outlive us. |
去创造一些美丽实用的事物吧, 让我们渊远流长, |
outlive:v.比…活得长;比…经久;经受住;渡过…而存在;
|
Approach the world, life, with love. |
迈向崭新世界, 一个充满爱的世界。 |
Approach:n.方法;路径;v.接近;建议;着手处理;
|
Learn to develop or cultivate your hearts to see goodness, beauty and truth in others and in the world. |
学习发展、 或培育你的心思, 在别人身上或这个世界发现真善美。 |
cultivate:vt.培养;陶冶;耕作;
|
That way we do matter more to ourselves ... |
如此一来,我们为了自己、 |
to each other, to our communities and, for me, to God. |
为了他人、 为了社会、 对我来说,也为了真主,就尽了份力。 |
communities:n.社区;社会;团体;共有(community的复数)
|
This is jihad -- my true jihad. |
这就是圣战── 我真正的圣战。 |
Thank you. |
谢谢大家。 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |