返回首页

ManuPrakash_2017U-_用纸制作救命的科学工具_

So, I love making tools and sharing them with people. 我热爱制作工具 并把它们分享给他人。
I remember as a child,my first tool I built was actually a microscope that I built by stealing lenses from my brother's eyeglasses . 记得小时候我做的 第一个工具是显微镜, 用从哥哥那偷来的眼镜片做的,
microscope:n.显微镜; lenses:n.透镜;镜片;(眼球的)晶状体;(lens的复数) eyeglasses:n.眼镜(等于glasses);
He wasn't that thrilled . 他不是很高兴。
thrilled:adj.非常兴奋; v.使非常兴奋; (thrill的过去分词和过去式)
But, you know, maybe because of that moment, 30 years later,I'm still making microscopes . 但,你知道吗, 或许就是因为那一刻, 30 年后,我依然在做显微镜。
microscopes:n.[光]显微镜(microscope的复数);
And the reason I built these tools is for moments like this. 而我制作它们的原因, 就是为了这样的时刻:
(Video) Girl: I have black things in my hair -- (影片)女孩:有黑色的 东西在我头发里——
Manu Prakash: This is a school in the Bay Area. 马努:这是在湾区的一所学校。
(Video) MP: The living world far supersedes our imagination of how things actually work. (影片)马努:真实的世界如何运行 与我们的想像大相径庭。
supersedes:接替; imagination:n.想象;想象力;创造力;想象的事物;
(Video) Boy: Oh my God! (影片)男孩:天啊!
MP: Right -- oh my God! 马努:没错——天啊!
I hadn't realized this would be such a universal phrase. 我真的没想到 大家的反应都是这句话。
universal:adj.普遍的;全体的;全世界的;共同的;
Over the last two years, in my lab, we built 50,000 Foldscopes and shipped them to 130 countries in the world, at no cost to the kids we sent them to. 这两年以来, 在我的实验室里, 我们做了五万个 「折迭式显微镜」(Foldscope), 并将之送到全球 130 多个国家, 免费提供给孩子们使用。
This year alone, with the support of our community , we are planning to ship a million microscopes to kids around the world. 单是今年, 在社群的支持下, 我们计画发放一百万台显微镜 给世界各地的小朋友。
community:n.社区;[生态]群落;共同体;团体;
What does that do? 这将有什么作用呢?
It creates an inspiring community of people around the world, learning and teaching each other, from Kenya to Kampala to Kathmandu to Kansas . 它能营造一个有启发性作用的社群, 让世界各地的人 共同学习、相互传授。 从肯尼亚到坎帕拉, 从加德满都到堪萨斯。
inspiring:adj.鼓舞人心的;灌输的;v.鼓舞;激发;使感悟;(inspire的现在分词) Kansas:n.堪萨斯州(美国州名);
And one of the phenomenal things that I love about this is the sense of community. 我特别喜欢这计画的一个效应, 就是「社群」的感觉。
phenomenal:adj.现象的;显著的;异常的;能知觉的;惊人的,非凡的;
There's a kid in Nicaragua teaching others how to identify mosquito species that carry dengue by looking at the larva under a microscope. 有一位尼加拉瓜的小孩, 能教别人如何透过显微镜观察虫卵, 来分辨会携带登革热的蚊子。
Nicaragua:n.尼加拉瓜(拉丁美洲一国家); identify:v.识别:鉴定:确认:发现: mosquito:n.蚊子 species:n.[生物]物种;种类; dengue:n.[内科]登革热; larva:n.[水产]幼体,[昆]幼虫;
There's a pharmacologist who came up with a new way to detect fake drugs anywhere. 一名药理学家,找到了一个在任何地方 都能分辨假药的新方法。
pharmacologist:n.药理学家; detect:vt.察觉;发现;探测; fake:n.假货;骗子;假动作;v.捏造;假装…的样子;adj.伪造的;
There is a girl who wondered: "How does glitter actually work?" 有一个小女孩想知道: 「亮粉为什么会发亮?」
glitter:vi.闪光;闪烁;n.闪光;灿烂;
and discovered the physics of crystalline formation in glitter. 结果发现了亮粉的物理结晶构造。
crystalline:adj.透明的;水晶般的;水晶制的; formation:n.形成;编队;组成;队形;
There is an Argentinian doctor who's trying to do field cervical cancer screening with this tool. 还有一位阿根廷的医生, 用这项工具实现了 现场实地子宫颈癌筛檢。
cervical:adj.颈的;子宫颈的; cancer:n.癌症;恶性肿瘤;
And yours very truly found a species of flea that was dug inside my heel in my foot one centimeter deep. 甚至在我脚后跟处一公分深的地方, 你能挖到了新品种的跳蚤。
flea:n.跳蚤;低廉的旅馆;生蚤的动物; heel:n.脚后跟;足跟;卑鄙的家伙;v.给(鞋等)修理后跟;倾侧;倾斜
Now, you might think of these as anomalies . 你可能觉得这不过是特别情况。
anomalies:n.异常现象,反常现象(anomaly复数形式);
But there is a method to this madness. 不过真的有办法 让这件神奇的事情成真。
I call this " frugal science" -- the idea of sharing the experience of science, and not just the information. 我叫它做「便宜科学」—— 这是一个分享科学经验, 而非科学资讯的理念。
frugal:adj.节俭的;朴素的;花钱少的;
To remind you: there are a billion people on this planet who live with absolutely no infrastructure : no roads, no electricity and thus, no health care . 提醒各位, 这颗星球上有十亿人 生活在毫无基础建设的环境里: 没有公路、 没有电力, 所以也没有医疗保健。
remind:v.提醒;使想起; absolutely:adv.绝对地;完全地; infrastructure:n.基础设施;公共建设;下部构造; electricity:n.电力;电流;强烈的紧张情绪; health care:n.卫生保健;
Also, there a billion kids on this planet that live in poverty . 同样的,这星球上有十亿孩童 生活在贫困之中,
poverty:n.贫困;困难;缺少;低劣;
How are we supposed to inspire them for the next generation of solution makers? 应该怎样启发他们 成为下一代的问题解决者?
supposed:adj.误信的;所谓的;v.认为;假设;设想;(suppose的过去分词和过去式) inspire:v.激发;鼓舞;启示;产生;使生灵感; solution:n.解决方案;溶液;溶解;解答;
There are health care workers that we put on the line to fight infectious diseases , to protect us with absolutely bare-minimum tools and resources . 还有要如何支援那些 靠着极有限的工具和资源保护我们, 在对抗传染性疾病的最前线 奋战的医疗工作者。
on the line:处于危险中;模棱两可;在电话线上; infectious:adj.传染的;传染性的;易传染的; diseases:n.[医]病(disease的复数);[医]疾病;[植保]病害;疾病种类; resources:n.[计][环境]资源; v.向…提供资金(resource的第三人称单数);
So as a lab at Stanford, 作为史丹福大学的研究员,
I think of this from a context of frugal science and building solutions for these communities . 我在想,要如何运用 便宜科学的理念来启发孩子们, 并为这些社区设计出解决方案。
context:n.环境;上下文;来龙去脉; communities:n.社区;社会;团体;共有(community的复数)
Often we think about being able to do diagnosis under a tree, off-grid . 我们通常需要考虑的是如何 在树下、没有电的情况下做诊断,
diagnosis:n.诊断; off-grid:adj.离网的;
I'll tell you two examples today of new tools. 向各位说两个新工具的案例。
One of them starts in Uganda . 其中一个我要从乌干达讲起,
Uganda:n.乌干达(非洲国家);
In 2013,on a field trip to detect schistosomiasis with Foldscopes, 2013 年,在使用折迭显微镜 檢测血吸虫病的一次野外考察中,
field trip:n.(常指学生进行的)野外考察; schistosomiasis:n.[内科]血吸虫病;
I made a minor observation . 我观察到一个小现象。
minor:adj.未成年的; n.未成年人; vi.副修; observation:n.观察;观测;监视;(尤指据所见、所闻、所读而作的)评论;
In a clinic ,in a far, remote area, 在这个地处偏僻遥远的诊所里,
clinic:n.诊所;临床实习;(医院的)门诊部;门诊时间; remote:adj.偏远的;偏僻的;遥远的;久远的;
I saw a centrifuge being used as a doorstop . 我看到一个离心机被用来做门挡,
centrifuge:vt.用离心机分离;使…受离心作用;n.离心机;[机][化工]离心分离机; doorstop:n.制止门过开之物(如钩环);
I mean -- quite literally , the doorstop. 他们真的是直接拿离心机来挡门。
literally:adv.按字面:字面上:确实地:
And I asked them and they said, "Oh, we don't actually have electricity, so this piece of junk is good as a doorstop." 我对此表示疑惑,他们回答说: 「哦,我们并没有电啊, 所以这块垃圾最好的用处 就是用来挡门。」
piece of junk:没用的废物;
Centrifuges , for some of you who don't know, are the pinnacle tool to be able to do sample processing . 离心机这个机器, 如果有人不了解的话, 它是非常重要的样本分析工具,
Centrifuges:n.[机]离心机(centrifuge的复数);v.使离心(centrifuge的第三人称单数); pinnacle:n.高峰;小尖塔;尖峰;极点;vt.造小尖塔;置于尖顶上;置于高处; processing:v.加工;处理;审核;数据处理;v.列队行进;缓缓前进;(process的现在分词)
You separate components of blood or body fluids to be able to detect and identify pathogens . 它可以幫你分离出 血液或体液中的成分, 以供檢测和鉴别病原体用。
components:n.部件;组件;成份(component复数); fluids:n.液体;流体;液;(fluid的复数) pathogens:n.[基医]病原体;病原菌;[基医]致病菌;
But centrifuges are bulky , expensive -- cost around 1,000 dollars -- and really hard to carry out in the field. 但离心机既笨重又昂贵—— 大概 1000 美元一台—— 并且非常难以搬运到野外工作。
bulky:adj.体积大的;庞大的;笨重的;
And of course,they don't work without power. 当然了,没有电它们也无法运作。
Sound familiar ? 这听起来是不是有点耳熟?
familiar:adj.熟悉的;常见的;亲近的;n.常客;密友;
So we started thinking about solving this problem, and I came back --kept thinking about toys. 所以我们开始思考 怎么解决这个问题, 我回到实验室,一直想到玩具。
Now ... 现在......
I have a few with me here. 我带了几个来。
I first started with yo-yos ... 我最开始是从溜溜球下手的,
yo-yos:n.溜溜球(一种线轴般的玩具);优柔寡断(yo-yo的变形);
and I'm a terrible yo-yo thrower . 我很不擅长玩溜溜球。
thrower:n.投掷者;抛油环;制陶坯的工人;
Because these objects spin , we wondered, could we actually use the physics of these objects to be able to build centrifuges? 但这个东西会旋转, 我们就在想...... 能不能利用这个原理 来做离心机呢?
spin:v.旋转;纺纱;吐丝;纺线;n.头晕;(快速)旋转;常用于英式英语;晕头转向;
This was possibly the worst throw I could make. 这大概是我扔得最烂的一次。
But you might start realizing, if you start exploring the safe space of toys -- we tried these spinning tops, and then in the lab, we stumbled upon this wonder. 所以你就会开始想 还有哪些工具与玩具一样安全—— 我们试过陀螺...... 然后在实验室里, 我们偶然发现了这个神奇的小玩意,
exploring:v.探索:考察:探查;(explore的现在分词) spinning:n.纺纱(手艺):纺线v.(使)旋转:纺线:纺纱;(spin的现在分词) stumbled:v.绊脚;跌跌撞撞地走;蹒跚而行;(stumble的过去分词和过去式)
It's the whirligig , or a buzzer , or a rundle . 这也是陀螺的一种,又叫拉线飞轮。
whirligig:n.旋转运动;旋转玩具;陀螺; buzzer:n.蜂鸣器;嗡嗡作声的东西;信号手; rundle:n.梯级;灯笼齿轮的齿;绞盘头;
A couple of strings and a little disk, and if I push, it spins . 它由几根绳子和一个圆盘构成。 如果我拉一下绳子,它就会旋转。
strings:一串,悬挂(string的第三人称单数和复数) spins:n.[物]旋转; v.[物]旋转(spin的三单形式);
How many of you have played with this as a kid? 有多少人小时候玩过这个?
This is called a button-on-a-string. 这就是所谓的「钮扣飞轮」。
OK, maybe 50 percent of you. 好吧,大概有一半的人。
What you didn't realize -- that this little object is the oldest toy in the history of mankind ... 但你可能不知道—— 这个小东西, 它是人类历史上最古老的玩具。
mankind:n.人类;男性;
5,000 years ago.We have found relics of this object hidden around on our planet. 五千年前就和遗迹一起 深埋在我们的地球上。
relics:n.遗迹;遗骸;纪念物(relic的复数);
Now the irony is, we actually don't understand how this little thing works. 但讽刺的是, 实际上我们并不知道 这个小东西的原理是什么,
irony:n.讽刺;反语;具有讽刺意味的事;adj.铁的;似铁的;
That's when I get excited. 这样的情况让我相当兴奋。
So we got back to work, wrote down a couple of equations . 我们回到工作正轨上, 写下了几条方程式。
equations:n.方程式;等式;均等;均势(equation的复数形式);
If you take the input torque that you put in, you take the drag on this disc,and the twist drag on these strings, you should be able to mathematically solve this. 如果你知道你的输入扭矩, 轮盘的阻力,及线的扭组力, 如此就能直接导出数学公式 来解决这个问题。
input:n.投入; v.把(数据等)输入计算机; torque:n.转矩,[力]扭矩;项圈,金属领圈; drag:v.拖曳;生拉硬拽;拖动;n.拖累;令人厌烦的人;累赘;绊脚石; twist:v.捻;扭转;曲折;扭动;n.捻;拧;扭动;搓; mathematically:adv.算术地,数学上地;
This is not the only equation in my talk. 这可不是唯一的方程式,
Ten pages of math later, we could actually write down the complete analytical solution for this dynamic system. 经过十几页的数学计算之后, 我们终于写出了这个 动力系统的完整解析方案。
analytical:adj.分析的;解析的;善于分析的; dynamic:n.动力; adj.充满活力的;
And out comes what we call "Paperfuge." 最后得到的就是我们称之为 「纸离心机」的东西。
That's my postdoc Saad Bhamla, who's the co-inventor of Paperfuge. 这是我带的博士后,萨德.巴姆拉, 也是纸离心机的共同发明者,
postdoc:adj.博士后(等于postdoctoral);
And to the left, you see all the centrifuges that we're trying to replace. 左边你看到的那些离心机 是我们想要替换掉的。
This little object that you see right here is a disc, a couple of strings and a handle . 你们现在看到的这个小东西, 是一个圆盘,几条线和一个把手。
handle:n.[建]把手;柄;手感;口实;v.处理;操作;运用;买卖;触摸;
And when I spin and I push, it starts to spin. 当我想要它旋转时, 我这样拉, 它就转起来了。
Now, when you realize, when you do the math ,when we calculate the rpm for this object, mathematically, we should be able to go all the way to a million rpm. 你会发现, 如果你用数学来计算这东西的转速, 理论上,我们可以 做到一分钟一百万转。
you do the math:你自己来算一下;
Now, there is a little twist in human anatomy , because the resonant frequency of this object is about 10 hertz , and if you've ever played the piano, you can't go higher than two or three hertz. 接下来跟人体解剖构造有关, 因为这个小东西的 共振频率大概有 10 赫兹, 如果你弹过钢琴的话, 你就知道,不会高过 2-3 赫兹。
anatomy:n.解剖;解剖学;剖析;解析; resonant:adj.洪亮的,共振的;共鸣的; frequency:n.频率;发生率;重复率;频繁; hertz:n.[物]赫兹(频率单位);
The maximum speed we've been able to achieve with this object is not 10,000 rpm, not 50,000 rpm -- 120,000 rpm. 我们这个小东西能达到的最大速度, 不是每分钟一万转, 也不是每分钟五万转, 而是每分钟十二万转,
maximum:n.最大限度;最大量;最高限度;adj.最高的;最多的;最大极限的;
That's equal to 30,000 g-forces. 相当等于三万个重力加速度。
If I was to stick you right here and have it spin, you would think about the types of forces you would experience. 如果我把你黏在这里, 然后让它旋转, 想想看你会感受到什么样的力量。
One of the factors of a tool like this is to be able to do diagnosis with this. 这样的工具需要考虑一个关键, 就是能否用于诊断。
factors:n.因素(factor的复数); v.做代理商;
So, I'm going to do a quick demo here, where -- this is a moment where I'm going to make a little finger prick , and a tiny drop of blood is going to come out. 所以我准备在这 做一个简短的演示, 现在我要戳一下手指头, 这会流出一小滴血。
demo:v.试用(尤指软件);演示;示范;n.试样唱片;录音样带; little finger:n.小指; prick:v.刺,戳;刺伤,刺痛;竖起;n.刺,扎;刺痛,刺伤;阴茎;锥;adj.竖起的;
If you don't like blood, you don't have to look at it. 如果你不喜欢血,可以不看。
Here is a little lancet . 这有一个小采血针,
lancet:n.[外科]小刀,柳叶刀;尖顶窗;小枪;
These lancets are available everywhere, completely passive . 这样的小针在哪都很常见, 完全没有攻击性。
lancets:n.[医]柳叶刀;刺血针;口针;[建]矛尖状装饰;(lancets是lancet的复数); passive:adj.被动的,消极的;被动语态的;n.被动语态;
And if I've had breakfast today ... 但愿我今天早上吃了早餐......
That didn't hurt at all. 一点也不痛。
OK, I take a little capillary with a drop of blood -- now this drop of blood has answers, that's why I'm interested in it. 好,我要拿采血管取一滴血—— 现在这滴血就是答案, 这就是我为何对此感兴趣的原因,
capillary:adj.细长的;表面张力的;n.毛细管;毛细血管;
It might actually tell me whether I have malaria right now or not. 它能显示我现在有没有得疟疾。
malaria:n.[内科]疟疾;瘴气;
I take a little capillary, and you see it starts wicking in. 我拿了个采血管, 你们能看到开始出血了。
wicking:n.灯芯(绳);
I'm going to draw a little more blood. 我要再多挤一点血出来,
And that's good enough for right now. 这样就够了。
Now, I just seal this capillary by putting it in clay . 现在要把采血管放进黏土里密封,
clay:n.黏土;陶土;
And now that's sealed the sample. 然后现在它是一个密封好的样本了,
We're going to take the sample, mount it on Paperfuge. 我现在要把它固定在纸离心机上。
mount:n.山;坐骑;山峰;衬纸板;v.登上;爬上;攀登;准备;
A little piece of tape to make a sealed cavity . 用一片小胶带把它黏上去,
cavity:n.腔;洞,凹处;
So now the sample is completely enclosed . 现在样本已经完全附着好了,
enclosed:adj.封闭的;附上的;v.把…围起来;围住;附上;(enclose的过去分词和过去式)
And we are ready for a spin. 我们准备好开始转了。
I'm pushing and pulling with this object. 我要拉扯一下这个东西,
I'm going to load this up ... 先把它转几下……
And you see the object starts spinning. 你能看到它已经开始旋转了。
Unlike a regular centrifuge, this is a counter-rotating centrifuge. 这和一般的离心机不同, 这是一个会来回旋转的离心机,
It goes back and forth , back and forth ... 它会往前转然后往后转, 往前转然后往后转...
back and forth:前后移动的,来回的,反复的;
And now I'm charging it up, and you see it builds momentum . 我正在给它更多的动力, 你能看到它越来越快了。
momentum:n.势头;[物]动量;动力;冲力;
And now -- I don't know if you can hear this -- 30 seconds of this, and I should be able to separate all the blood cells with the plasma . 现在——我不知道你们 能不能听到这个声音—— 保持这样 30 秒, 我应该就能把血细胞和 血浆分离开,
plasma:n.[等离子]等离子体;血浆;[矿物]深绿玉髓;
And the ratio of those blood cells to plasma -- 并且知道血细胞和血浆的比例——
ratio:n.比率;比例;v.用比例方式表达;求出…的比值;使…成比例;
(Applause) (观众鼓掌)
Already, if you see right here, if you focus on this, you should be able to see a separated volume of blood and plasma. 已经好了,如果你看这里, 注意看这个地方, 你可以看到 血细胞和血浆各别的容量,
volume:n.体积;容积;音量;响度;一册;合订本
And the ratio of that actually tells me whether I might be anemic . 这个比例能让我知道我是否贫血。
anemic:adj.患贫血症的,贫血的;
One the of aspects of this is, we build many types of Paperfuges. 我们造了很多类型的纸离心机,
aspects:n.方面;相位;面貌(aspect的复数);
This one allows us to identify malaria parasites by running them for a little longer, and we can identify malaria parasites that are in the blood that we can separate out and detect with something like a centrifuge. 这一种让我们能够识别疟疾寄生虫, 让它转得更久一点, 我们就能看到血液里的 疟疾寄生虫了, 这样的分离和檢测就是 一般的离心机能做的。
parasites:n.[基医]寄生虫;[生物]寄生生物(parasite的复数);
Another version of this allows me to separate nucleic acids to be able to do nucleic acid tests out in the field itself. 另一个版本的纸离心机 能让我们分离出核酸, 能在野外做核酸测试。
nucleic acid:n.核酸;
Here is another version that allows me to separate bulk samples, and then, finally , something new that we've been working on to be able to implement the entire multiplex test on an object like this. 这个版本可以批量分离大量样本。 然后呢,最后, 我们在研究的新产品, 能在这样的东西上施行多种测试,
finally:adv.终于;最终;(用于列举)最后;彻底地; implement:v.实施;执行;贯彻;使生效;n.工具; multiplex:adj.多样的,多元的; vi.[通信]多路传输; vt.[通信]多路传输; n.[测]多倍仪;
So where you do the sample preparation and the chemistry in the same object. 能在同一个物体上准备样品, 并进行化学反应。
Now ... 那么……
this is all good, but when you start thinking about this, you have to share these tools with people. 这些听起来都很好, 但如果你认真地想想, 当你想把这些工具分享给别人......
And one of the things we did is -- we just got back from Madagascar; this is what clinical trials for malaria look like -- 我们的行动之一是—— 我们刚从马达加斯加回来; 疟疾的临床诊断看起来是这样的——
clinical:adj.临床的;诊所的;
(Laughter) (观众笑)
You can do this while having coffee. 你可以边喝咖啡边做这个。
But most importantly, this is a village six hours from any road. 但最重要的是, 这个村子离最近的公路要六小时。
We are in a room with one of the senior members of the community and a health care worker . 我们和一名当地的长者, 还有一名医疗工作者在房间里。
senior:adj.大;级别(或地位)高的;成人的;高级水平的;n.上级;上司;较…年长的人; care worker:n.(精神病人、残疾人、尤指住院治疗者的)护理员;
It really is this portion of the work that excites me the most -- that smile, to be able to share simple but powerful tools with people around the world. 这是工作中最让我兴奋的时刻—— 就是使用者的微笑, 能和世界上所有的人 分享简单而强大的工具。
portion:n.部分;(食物的)一份;分担的责任;v.把…分成若干份(或部分);
Now, I forgot to tell you this, that all of that cost me 20 cents to make. 现在,我忘了告诉各位, 做这个东西只花了我 20 美分。
OK, in the negative time I have left, 好,在剩下不多的时间里,
negative:adj.[数]负的;消极的;否定的;阴性的;n.否定;负数;[摄]底片;v.否定;拒绝;
I'll tell you about the most recent -- 我来给各位谈谈
(Laughter) (观众笑)
invention from our lab. 我们实验室里最新的发明。
It's called Abuzz -- the idea that all of you could help us fight mosquitoes; you could all help us track our enemies. 它叫「嗡嗡」(Abuzz) ── 我们的想法是, 让所有人都能幫忙对抗蚊子, 你们都能幫忙追踪我们的敌人。
Abuzz:adj.嗡嗡的;嘁嘁喳喳的;呈现忙碌状况(的);议论纷纷(的); track:n.小道;足迹;车辙;轨道;v.追踪;跟踪;
These are enemies because they cause malaria, Zika, chikungunya , dengue. 蚊子之所以是敌人,是因为牠们传播 疟疾、兹卡病、屈公病和登革热。
chikungunya:基孔肯雅病;
But the challenge is that we actually don't know where our enemies are. 困难在于,我们 其实不知道敌人到底在哪,
The world map for where mosquitoes are is missing. 蚊子的世界分布图还没有人做出来。
mosquitoes:n.蚊子(mosquito的复数);
So we started thinking about this. 所以我们开始思考这件事,
There are 3,500 species of mosquitoes, and they're all very similar. 世界上有 3500 种蚊子, 牠们都非常相似。
Some of them are so identical that even an entomologist cannot identify them under a microscope. 有得甚至相似到连昆虫学家 在显微镜下也区分不出来。
identical:adj.同一的;完全相同的;n.完全相同的事物; entomologist:n.昆虫学者;
But they have an Achilles' heel. 但牠们有一个致命弱点。
This is what mosquitoes flirting with each other looks like. 这是蚊子相互调情的场面,
flirting:v.调情,打情骂俏;(flirt的现在分词)
That's a male chasing a female . 那只雄蚊正在追求雌蚊。
female:adj.女性的;雌性的;柔弱的,柔和的;n.女人;[动]雌性动物;
They're actually talking to each other with their wingbeat frequencies . 牠们利用翅膀震动的频率对话,
wingbeat:n.扑棱; frequencies:n.频率;发生率;重复率;频繁;(frequency的复数)
(Buzzing sound) (嗡嗡声)
And thus, they have a signature . 也就是说,牠们使用一种特定信号。
signature:n.署名;签名;信号;
We realized that using a regular phone, a $5-10 flip phone -- how many remember what this object is? 我们发现透过一只普通的手机, 一只价值 5-10 美金的 翻盖式手机—— 有多少人还记得这是什么?
flip phone:n.翻盖手机;
(Laughter) (观众笑)
We can record these acoustic signatures from mosquitoes. 我们可以把蚊子的 音频信号录制下来,
acoustic:adj.声学的;音响的;听觉的;n.原声乐器;不用电传音的乐器; signatures:n.签名;鲜明特征(signature的复数);
I'll tell you exactly how to do this. 我来告诉各位确切要怎么做。
I caught some mosquitoes outside. 我在室外抓到一些蚊子,
Unlike Bill [Gates], I'm not going to release them. 不像比尔盖茨,我没打算放生牠们。
release:v.释放;发射;让与;允许发表;n.释放;发布;让与;
(Laughter) (观众笑)
But I will tell you how to record from this. 但我会告诉你们怎么样录音,
All you do is tap them and they fly. 你只需要敲几下, 牠们就会飞起来,
You can first test --I can actually hear that. 先测试一下,看能不能用耳朵听到,
And you bring your phone, which has microphones -- it turns out the mics are so damn good already,even on regular phones, that you can pick up this near-field signature. 然后你拿起手机,上面有麦克风, 普通手机的麦克风就相当好用, 你可以捕捉到近音场的音频。
microphones:n.[电子]麦克风(microphone的复数); mics:abbr.医疗植入通信服务;多指标类集调查; damn:v.谴责;该死;n.诅咒;adj.可恶的; near-field:拟域;
And since I'm out of time, let me just play the recording that I made a day ago. 因为时间不够用了, 允许我直接播放前一天做的录音。
(Mosquitoes buzz) (蚊子嗡嗡声)
This is all the charming sound that you heard before that you all love. 这就是大家都听过的迷人声音, 人人都喜欢。
charming:adj.令人着迷的;吸引人的;v.吸引;迷住;控制,保护;(charm的现在分词)
One of the contexts of this is that being able to do this with a regular cell phone allows us to map mosquito species. 能用一只普通的手机 这么做的意义在于, 我们可以做出蚊子种类的分布图。
contexts:n.环境,[计]上下文(context复数);
Using a flip phone, we mapped one of the largest acoustic databases with 25 to 20 species of mosquitoes that carry human pathogens. 通过翻盖式手机, 我们可以绘制出一个 大型的音频数据庫, 里面包括了 20-25 种会携带 人类病原体的蚊子。
And from this and machine learning, anybody who uploads this data, we can identify and tell the probability of what species of mosquitoes you're actually working with. 透过上传更新的音频数据, 加上机器学习, 我们就能判断 你抓到的蚊子种类可能性。
uploads:vt.上传; probability:n.可能性;机率;[数]或然率;
We call this Abuzz, and if any of you want to sign up, just go to the website. 我们管这个叫「嗡嗡」, 如果有人愿意参与的话, 只要去看我们的网站就行。
Let me close with something that's very important and dear to my heart. 请允许我以自己内心很看重的事 来结束今天的演讲,
One of the challenges of today is we have terrible problems. 当今世界我们面临很多可怕的问题,
We have a billion people with absolutely no health care, climate change, biodiversity loss, on and on and on. 世界上有十亿人没有任何卫生保健, 气候变化,生物多样性流失, 还有很多很多,
biodiversity:n.生物多样性; on and on:继续不停地;
And we hope that science is going to provide the answer. 而我们希望科学能提供解决方案。
But before you leave this theatre today, 今天,在你离开会场之前,
I want you to promise one thing. 我希望你们能答应一件事,
We're going to make science accessible -- not just to the people who can afford it, but a billion others who can't. 我们要让科学更便利, 不仅是只有支付得起的人可用, 更要让十亿没有经济能力的人所用。
accessible:adj.易接近的;可进入的;可理解的; afford:v.给予,提供;买得起;
Let's make science and scientific literacy a human right . 让科学的应用及知识的取得 成为一种人权,
scientific:adj.科学的,系统的; literacy:n.读写能力;精通文学; human right:n.人权;
The moment that you pass the tingling feeling of making a discovery to another child, you're enabling them to be the next group of people who will actually solve these problems. 当你把「发现」的动人时刻 传递给另一个孩子的时候, 你很有可能让他们成为 下一代真正解决这些问题的人。
tingling:v.感到刺痛;强烈地感到;(tingle的现在分词) enabling:adj.授权的;v.使能够;授权给(enable的现在分词);
Thank you. 谢谢大家。
(Applause) (观众鼓掌)