|
|
MajdMashharawi_2018W-_我是如何用加沙的废墟和碎石制作砖头的_
|
Yes, it's dark. |
是的,这里很暗。 |
I'm wondering how long we can all stand it without picking up our phone and turning the flashlights on. |
我在想,我们能坚持多久 不拿出手机把手电筒程序打开。 |
all stand:全部起立;
|
Seconds? |
几秒钟? |
Minutes? |
几分钟? |
A whole hour? |
一整个小时? |
Don't worry, I'm not going to give you my whole speech in the dark. |
别担心,我是不会在 一片漆黑中演讲的, |
But it's something I'm used to. |
尽管我很习惯黑暗。 |
For more than 10 years, I and two million people back home have been living in darkness, locked between two borders that are nearly impossible to leave, literally , in an area that spans 25 miles long and about five miles wide. |
整整十多年,我和 家乡的两百万同胞 一直生活在黑暗之中, 困在两个边境之间, 在那个跨越25英里长, 5英里宽的一个区域里, 根本无法离开。 |
literally:adv.按字面:字面上:确实地: spans:n.[建]跨度;一段时间(span的复数);v.跨越;持续;贯穿(span的第三人称单数);
|
I am Palestinian , and I am from Gaza. |
我是巴勒斯坦人, 我来自加沙。 |
Palestinian:adj.巴勒斯坦的;巴勒斯坦人的;n.巴勒斯坦人;
|
I grew up there and I still live there. |
我在那里长大, 现在还住在那里。 |
In Gaza, we have a whole lot of nothing. |
在加沙,我们一无所有。 |
And I aim to create something from that nothing. |
我的目标是在贫瘠 (的加沙)中做些东西。 |
When a community is cut off from the world, all that we need to do is ... what? |
当一个社区与世隔绝, 我们所要做的是什么呢? |
community:n.社区;[生态]群落;共同体;团体;
|
To think outside the box . |
发散思维, |
think outside the box:跳出固有思维模式;跳脱框架思考;解放思想;
|
Way outside the box. |
充分发散。 |
That thinking led me to two projects to address two serious issues in my community. |
我由此想到了两个项目 来解决我的社区的 两个严重的问题。 |
issues:n.重要议题;争论的问题;v.宣布;公布;发出;(issue的第三人称单数和复数)
|
The need for building materials and the need for electricity and energy. |
对建筑材料的需求以及 对电和能源的需求。 |
electricity:n.电力;电流;强烈的紧张情绪;
|
Two essential ingredients of life. |
生活中两大要素。 |
essential:n.要点;要素;实质;必需品;adj.完全必要的;必不可少的;极其重要的;本质的; ingredients:n.成分;(尤指烹饪)原料;(成功的)要素;(ingredient的复数)
|
Both are in lack of supply in Gaza. |
加沙两样都很缺乏。 |
First, I'm not here ... |
首先,我到这儿 |
just to talk about the occupation we have back home. |
不光是想谈发生 在我们家园的占领, |
occupation:n.职业;占领;占用;工作;
|
The siege , the wars, the bombs, the protests or the death toll . |
包围,战争,炸弹,抗议 或是死亡统计。 |
siege:n.围攻;包围;围城;不断袭击;长期努力;vt.围攻;包围; protests:v.抗议;反对(protest的三单形式);n.抗议(protest的复数); death toll:n.(事故、战争、灾难等的)死亡人数;
|
I am here because I wanted to show that we can live through it all. |
我到这儿是给大家看 我们可以坚持过来。 |
live through:度过;经受过;
|
I am here because I wanted to make a change. |
我到这儿是因为我想改变现状。 |
I am here to tell you that I am a statistic that cannot be ignored . |
我到这儿是想告诉你们, 我是一个不能 被忽视的统计数字。 |
statistic:n.统计学;统计数字;统计资料;(一项)统计数据;adj.统计(上)的; ignored:v.忽视;对…不予理会;佯装未见;不予理睬;(ignore的过去分词和过去式)
|
In the 2014 war, thousands of houses were destroyed. |
在2014年的战争里, 数以千计的房屋被毁。 |
Those houses were made from sunbaked stones and blocks. |
这些房屋是由经过太阳 炙晒的石头建起来的。 |
sunbaked:adj.太阳晒干[晒裂]的;被太阳烤着的;
|
Those houses stood for decades and decades. |
这些房屋已经屹立了几十年。 |
Those houses were for my family, friends, neighbors, everyone I know. |
这些房屋属于我的家庭, 朋友以及邻居, 所有我认识的人的家庭。 |
At that time, I asked myself a question: |
在那个时候,我问自己: |
What can I do for people? |
我能为他们做些什么? |
What can I do for:我能为…做什么?;
|
How can I help them? |
我怎么帮助他们? |
I knew we weren't able to get cement , aggregate and sand to rebuild what the war destroyed. |
我知道我们弄不到 水泥,集料和沙子 来重建战火销毁的家园。 |
cement:n.水泥;(干燥后硬化的)水泥;胶合剂;胶接剂;v.加强;胶合; aggregate:vi.集合; vt.集合; n.合计; adj.聚合的;
|
But also, maybe we can use something from inside the community, something we already had. |
但是,也许我们可以 利用上社区里的东西, 我们已有的东西。 |
I started to put things together. |
我开始筹划起来。 |
First, paper as a filler , instead of the aggregate we import. |
首先,没有进口的集料, 可以用纸当填塞物。 |
filler:n.(杂志等的)补白;装填者;装填物;充填器;
|
But that did not work out. |
结果证明不好使。 |
What about using glass powder to replace part of the cement? |
或者用玻璃粉末来代替一些水泥? |
powder:n.粉末;细面;扑面粉;美容粉;v.傅粉;抹粉;
|
But that failed, too. |
结果也不行。 |
I guessed making building blocks out of mud would be a great idea. |
我猜想也许用泥来做砌块会效果不错, |
building blocks:(儿童玩的)积木;建筑砌块;堆积木;建筑砖块;基石;
|
But unfortunately , it didn't work out. |
但很不幸,结果也不行。 |
unfortunately:adv.不幸地;
|
During the process of burning the mud blocks, we had a huge amount of ashes. |
我们在烧泥块的过程中, 得到了很多泥灰。 |
process:v.处理;加工;列队行进;n.过程,进行;方法,adj.经过特殊加工(或处理)的;
|
And I was like, "Why don't we use those ashes?" |
我就想,“我们为什么 不用这些泥灰呢?” |
The idea flashed in my mind. |
这个主意闪过我的脑海。 |
flashed:n.闪光;v.闪烁(flash的过去分词);
|
'"Let's use it and combine it with the rubble of the demolished houses and make building blocks out of it." |
“我们可以把它和被毁了的 房屋的碎石混在一起 做成砖块。” |
rubble:n.碎石,碎砖;粗石堆; demolished:v.拆毁,拆除(建筑物);推翻(观点或理论);(demolish的过去分词和过去式)
|
After more than 150 failed experiments, and over six months of research, |
经过150多次失败的尝试 以及超过6个多月的研究, |
I actually made it. |
我终于成功了。 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
I created a building block out of the ashes and rubble of the demolished houses. |
我用被毁了的房屋的灰墟和碎石 做成了砖块。 |
block out:封闭;概略画出;
|
It's here, it came all the way with me. |
我大老远带来了一块。 |
Well, it came before me. |
它其实比我还先到。 |
So, it's lighter, it's cheaper, and it's stronger. |
它更轻, 更便宜,也更结实。 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
This building block -- of course, you ask yourself, "How did this girl do it?" |
这个砖块—— 当然,你会纳闷 “这个女孩是怎么做到的?” |
It's not that hard, and it's not that easy. |
其实也不是那么难, 当然也不是那么简单, |
First, we collected rubble from all around the Gaza Strip . |
首先,我们从加沙地带 各个地方收集了碎石。 |
Strip:n.带; v.夺; adj.脱衣舞的;
|
Then we combined it with the ashes that came from the landfills . |
然后我们把它们和来自 垃圾填埋场的泥灰混在一起。 |
landfills:n.废物填埋地(或场);废物填埋;填埋的废物;(landfill的复数)
|
When the recipe is done, it's time for baking . |
配料齐了以后,开始烤制。 |
recipe:n.食谱;方法;诀窍;烹饪法; baking:n.烘焙,烘烤; adj.烘烤的; v.烤,烘焙; (bake的现在分词)
|
So we mold the blocks, as you can see in the photo, and we cure it using water steam. |
我们浇模以后,就像照片里那样, 再用水蒸气固化。 |
mold:n.模具;模型;霉菌;类型;v.用可塑材料塑成;浇铸;发霉; as you can see:正如你所看到的;你是知道的;
|
I call the material "Green Cake," |
我管这个材料叫“绿蛋糕”, |
and people now can use it not only to rebuild old houses, but also to build new complete structures . |
现在人们不光可以 用它重建老房子, 还可以用来搭建新建筑。 |
structures:n.结构; v.建造(structure的第三人称单数形式);
|
Green Cake so far has created jobs for more than 30 people. |
绿蛋糕到现在已经替 30多人创造了工作。 |
And we were able to rebuild around 50 apartments, each one of them the size of a household almost for eight people. |
我们重建了50多套公寓, 每一套能容下8个人的家庭。 |
household:n.家庭;一家人;同住一所(或一套)房子的人;adj.家庭的;家常的;王室的;
|
We also trained fresh graduates, female and male, which is not very common in the community. |
我们还培训了刚毕业的 大学生,有男有女, 这在社区里并不是很常见。 |
female:adj.女性的;雌性的;柔弱的,柔和的;n.女人;[动]雌性动物;
|
And we got several awards, locally and globally. |
我们也获得了多个本地的 以及世界性的奖项。 |
locally:adv.在本地;局部地;在地方上;
|
This block is not just only a building block. |
这个砖块不只是一个砖块。 |
It changed the stereotype about women in Gaza that stated this type of work is meant for men. |
它也改变了在加沙 对妇女的成见, 那就是这种工作只适合男人。 |
stereotype:vt.使用铅版;套用老套,使一成不变;n.陈腔滥调,老套;铅版;
|
Education is the strongest weapon we have to fight for our freedom, decent life and future. |
教育是我们拥有的最强的武器 来为我们的自由,美好的 生活和未来斗争。 |
decent:adj.正派的;得体的;相当好的;
|
My background helped me to do this block. |
我的经历帮助我做成了这个砌块。 |
I went to the Islamic University of Gaza, and I studied civil engineering , where there was a one-to-six female-to-male ratio . |
我上的是加沙伊斯兰大学 土木工程专业, 该专业男女生比例6:1。 |
Islamic:adj.穆斯林的; civil engineering:[建]土木工程; ratio:n.比率;比例;v.用比例方式表达;求出…的比值;使…成比例;
|
Everyone told me I would end up without a job. |
每个人都对我说 我毕业了找不到工作的。 |
I went for a major that's meant for men. |
我选择了初衷是 为男生打造的专业。 |
But their lack of encouragement did not deter me; it inspired me. |
但我并未因缺少来自人们的鼓励 而气馁,这反倒还鼓舞了我。 |
deter:v.阻止;制止;威慑;使不敢; inspired:adj.受到启发的; v.鼓舞; (inspire的过去分词和过去式)
|
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
After this long journey with the block, and after two years, what Gaza does need is not just building blocks. |
经过研发砖块的漫长旅程, 在两年以后, 加沙需要的不光是砌块。 |
journey:n.旅行;行程;vi.旅行;
|
We also need electricity, we need the energy. |
我们还需要电和能源。 |
I developed a new company called SunBox. |
我成立了一个新公司叫“太阳盒”。 |
SunBox is a smart solar kit that we source from China, and we engineer it to fit the market need. |
太阳盒是我们在中国采购的 一个智能太阳能设备, 我们针对市场需要进行了改装。 |
kit:v.装备;n.成套工具;配套元件;成套设备;全套衣服及装备; source:n.来源;水源;原始资料;
|
It powers not only light, but also laptops , phones, internet connection, a fan or a TV. |
它不光能给灯提供电源, 也适用于笔记本电脑,手机, 互联网连接,风扇或是电视。 |
laptops:n.便携式电脑;笔记本电脑;(laptop的复数)
|
We teach local vendors and technicians to sell, install and provide customer services for people. |
我们培训当地的商贩和技师 如何销售,安装和提供客服。 |
vendors:n.供应商,销售商(vendor的复数); technicians:n.[劳经]技术员(technician的复数);工作人员; install:v.安装;设置;安置;建立(程序);
|
We got the project off the ground by providing 15 families with solar energy. |
项目启动之初, 我们为15个家庭提供了太阳能。 |
off the ground:已开始的;在进行中;
|
One of the solar units we installed in a refugee camp. |
其中的一个太阳能设备被 我们安装在一个难民营里。 |
installed:v.安装;设置;使就职(install的过去分词和过去式) refugee:n.难民;避难者;逃亡者;v.避难;adj.避难的;
|
The next day I came to check what happened with the solar, and I found a whole neighborhood watching a football match using our device . |
第二天我去看了看效果如何, 结果我看到一整个村子 都在用我们的设备 看一场足球比赛。 |
neighborhood:n.附近;地区;街坊;adj.附近的; device:n.装置;策略;图案;
|
I was like, "Wow, that's going to create a huge impact in the community." |
我想,“哇,这会给社区 带来大贡献啊”。 |
impact:n.影响;效果;碰撞;冲击力;v.挤入,压紧;撞击;对…产生影响;
|
That encouraged us to go to the second round of bringing 200 units. |
我们深受鼓舞,在第二轮 引进了200个设备。 |
But each unit costs around 350 dollars. |
但每一个设备要350美元。 |
And a Palestinian family can't afford the 350 dollars. |
一个普通的巴勒斯坦家庭是 付不起350美元的。 |
afford:v.给予,提供;买得起;
|
So we had to think, again, outside the box: |
所以我们又要发散思维了: |
How can we make this happen? |
我们怎么才能让它实现呢? |
If a whole neighborhood can watch a football match using one device, it means two, three and four families can share one device and enjoy the electricity. |
如果整个街坊可以用 一个设备看足球赛, 那就意味着两个,三个或 四个家庭可以共用一个设备 享受电能。 |
What we did is, we created a new business model called "sharing is caring." |
于是我们建立了一个新的业务模式 叫“分享就是关爱”。 |
(Laughter) |
(掌声) |
The sharing is caring business model says two families share one unit, three families share one unit, and they split the cost, so they can afford paying for it. |
分享就是关爱的业务模式 允许两个或三个家庭 共享一个设备, 成本分摊,这样他们就付得起了。 |
split:v.分离;使分离;劈开;离开;分解;n.劈开;裂缝;adj.劈开的;
|
Well, the idea caught on. |
这个想法很受欢迎。 |
I didn't expect that, but it just happened. |
我没有想到,但就是这样发生了。 |
In less than two weeks, we were able to provide over 200 people with electricity. |
两个星期不到, 我们就已经为200个人供电了。 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
And the question here: How did the idea catch on? |
问题是:这个主意是怎么被接受的? |
We went to community centers -- those are places, you know for whom? |
我们访问了社区中心—— 那些通常是 |
Only for men. |
只有男人能去的地方。 |
So it was so weird for a woman to go there. |
所以一个女性过去有点怪。 |
weird:adj.奇怪的;奇异的;离奇的;n.命运;宿命;命运女神;
|
And I told them, "We have a great idea. |
我跟他们说,“我们有 一个超好的想法。 |
We will give you electricity, you give us people who need this electricity." |
我们给你们提供电, 你们给我们提供需要用电的人。“ |
Now, families are approaching us from all around the Gaza Strip. |
现在,加沙地带的 家庭都来找我们。 |
approaching:v.靠近,接近;接洽;建议;要求;(approach的现在分词)
|
I received a phone call from the team this morning, saying, "Majd, please, we are under pressure, we work 16 hours a day, we will not be able to work like this. |
今天早上我们团队给我打电话,说 ”马吉德,帮帮忙吧,我们压力 很大,一天工作16小时, 我们没法这么坚持下去的。 |
Families are calling us every second. They want solar energy." |
各个家庭每时每刻都在给我们 打电话。他们需要太阳能。” |
Muna, from one of the families we installed the solar unit for, she told me, "You know, Majd, |
穆娜来自我们装了 太阳能设备的家庭之一, 她跟我说,“马吉德, |
I've never imagined I will control something in my life. |
我从来不敢相信 我对任何东西能有控制权。 |
Now I can control my source of energy. |
现在我能控制我的供电来源。 |
I feel so special." |
我真的感觉受宠若惊。” |
What you take for granted is a privilege for others. |
对于你们来说理所当然的东西, 对别人来说就是特权, |
take for granted:认为…理所当然; privilege:n.特权;优待;v.给与…特权;特免;
|
People like Muna. |
也就是像穆娜那样的人们。 |
She doesn't want to fight. |
她不想抗争。 |
She doesn't want to stay in a bad life. |
她不想困在一个低劣的生活环境中。 |
She's only looking for a better life. |
她只想过上更好的生活。 |
Our vision , or I would say, everyone's vision in Gaza -- which I am very privileged to represent the people back home -- is to have a good life, a future. |
我们的愿望,或者我应该说, 加沙每个人的愿望—— 我非常荣幸能代表在家乡的人们—— 是有一个美好的生活, 一个美好的未来。 |
vision:n.视力;美景;幻象;想象力;v.想象;显现;梦见; privileged:adj.有特权的; v.给予特权; (privilege的过去式和过去分词) represent:v.代表;表现;描绘;回忆;再赠送;
|
We need to build the infrastructure of hope. |
我们需要构建希望的基础。 |
infrastructure:n.基础设施;公共建设;下部构造;
|
We want to tell them it's possible to happen, it's possible to be treated as a human being. |
我们要告诉他们一切皆有可能, 被像人一样对待是可能的。 |
treated:v.以…态度对待;把…看作;(treat的过去分词和过去式)
|
I don't have to cross four borders to come here. |
我不需要跨过四个国境到这里。 |
I can just go to the airport , see the people outside, see what the world looks like. |
我只需要去机场, 看看外面的人群, 看看世界是什么样子的。 |
airport:n.机场;航空港;
|
Thank you so much. |
谢谢大家。 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |