返回首页

LuvvieAjayi_2017W-_把不坐视不管变成习惯_

I'm a professional troublemaker . 我是个职業的问题制造者。
professional:adj.专业的;职业的;职业性的;n.专业人员;职业运动员; troublemaker:n.捣乱者,闹事者;惹麻烦的人;
(Laughter) (笑声)
As my job is to critique the world, the shoddy systems and the people who refuse to do better, as a writer, as a speaker, as a shady Nigerian -- 我的工作是去批评世界、 劣质体制,以及拒绝做更好的人, 我是个作家、演说家、 名声不好的奈及利亚人──
critique:n.评论文章;评论;v.写评论;对…发表评论;评判; shoddy:n.赝品;冒牌货;假装粗俗;adj.假冒的;劣质的;卑劣的; shady:adj.背阴的;阴凉的;多阴的;成荫的;
(Laughter) (笑声)
I feel like my purpose is to be this cat. 我觉得我的人生目的是要做这只猫。
(Laughter) (笑声) 〔至高无上斜眼看人之艺术家〕
I am the person who is looking at other people, like, "I need you to fix it." 我这种人在看其他人的方式是: 「我需要你改正。」
That is me. 那就是我。
I want us to leave this world better than we found it. 我要我们在离开这个世界时, 它变得比我们发现它时更好。
And how I choose to effect change is by speaking up, by being the first and by being the domino . 我选择用来影响改变的方式 是把话说出来, 当第一个人,当骨牌。
domino:n.多米诺骨牌;面具;化装外衣;
For a line of dominoes to fall, one has to fall first, which then leaves the other choiceless to do the same. 要让一整排的骨牌倒下, 得要有一个骨牌先倒下, 它就会让其他骨牌 没有选择只能跟着倒下。
dominoes:n.多米诺骨牌(效应);牙齿;骰子(domino的复数);
And that domino that falls, we're hoping that, OK, the next person that sees this is inspired to be a domino. 而那倒下的骨牌, 我们希望,好, 下一个看见这状况的人 能够被鼓舞,也去成为骨牌。
inspired:adj.受到启发的; v.鼓舞; (inspire的过去分词和过去式)
Being the domino, for me, looks like speaking up and doing the things that are really difficult, especially when they are needed, with the hope that others will follow suit . 对我而言,身为骨牌, 就像是大声说出来, 然后去做真的很困难的事情, 特别是当必须要去做的时候, 且心怀希望,希望他人会跟进。
especially:adv.尤其;特别;格外;十分; follow suit:效仿,跟着做;
And here's the thing: I'm the person who says what you might be thinking but dared not to say. 重点是:我就是那个 把你可能只敢想不敢说的话 说出来的人。
A lot of times people think that we're fearless , the people who do this, we're fearless. 常常,人们认为我们无所惧, 认为做这些事的人是无所惧的。
fearless:adj.无畏的;大胆的;
We're not fearless. 我们并非无所惧。
We're not unafraid of the consequences or the sacrifices that we have to make by speaking truth to power. 我们并非不害怕后果 或是我们得要做的牺牲, 仍然对着掌权者大声说出来。
unafraid:adj.不怕的;无畏的; consequences:n.后果,结果;影响(consequence的复数); sacrifices:n.牺牲,损失; v.牺牲,损失(sacrifice的单三形式);
What happens is, we feel like we have to, because there are too few people in the world willing to be the domino, too few people willing to take that fall. 实情是,我们觉得我们必须要做, 因为世界上太少人 愿意做骨牌, 太少人愿意倒下。
We're not doing it without fear. 我们这样做时也会恐惧。
Now, let's talk about fear. 咱们来谈谈恐惧。
I knew exactly what I wanted to be when I grew up. 我很清楚我长大之后要做什么。
I was like, "I'm going to be a doctor!" 我会说:「我将来要当医生!」
Doctor Luvvie was the dream. 梦想是成为拉薇医生。
I was Doc McStuffins before it was a thing. 在《小医师大玩偶》 红起来之前我就在演它了。
(Laughter) (笑声)
And I remember when I went to college, my freshman year, I had to take Chemistry 101 for my premed major. 我记得,当我上大学, 第一年,我得为我的主修医学院预科 修基础化学,
premed:n.医学院预科;医学预科生;术前药物处理;
I got the first and last D of my academic career . 我得到了我学术生涯中的 第一个和最后一个 D。
first and last:总的说来,整体看来;始终;主要地; academic:adj.学术的;理论的;学院的;n.大学生,大学教师;学者; career:n.职业;事业;生涯;经历;
(Laughter) (笑声)
So I went to my advisor, and I was like, "OK, let's drop the premed, because this doctor thing is not going to work, because I don't even like hospitals. 我去找指导教授,我说: 「好,放弃医学院预科吧, 因为我不可能当医生的, 因为我甚至不喜欢医院。
So ..." 所以……」
(Laughter) (笑声)
'"Let's just consider that done for." 「就当作已经试过了吧。」
And that same semester , I started blogging . 同一个学期,我开始写部落格。
semester:n.学期;半年; blogging:v.写网志;写博客(blog的现在分词)
That was 2003. 那是 2003 年。
So as that one dream was ending, another was beginning. 当一个梦想结束后, 另一个梦想又开始了。
And then what was a cute hobby became my full-time job when I lost my marketing job in 2010. 本来只是个可爱的嗜好, 2010 年我丢了行销工作之后, 这个嗜好就变成了我的全职工作,
full-time:adj.专职的;全日制的;全部时间的;
But it still took me two more years to say, "I'm a writer." 但我又花了两年, 才能说出:「我是个作家。」
Nine years after I had started writing, before I said, "I'm a writer," 从我开始写作一直到我说出 「我是个作家」,一共花了九年,
because I was afraid of what happens without 401ks, without, "How am I going to keep up my shoe habit? 因为我害怕没有了 401k 退休福利计画 之后会发生什么事, 没有「我要如何维持买鞋的习惯啊?
That's important to me." 那对我很重要。」
(Laughter) (笑声)
So it took me that long to own this thing that was what my purpose was. 我花了那么长的时间才能承认那就是 我人生的目的。
And then I realized, fear has a very concrete power of keeping us from doing and saying the things that are our purpose. 接着,我了解到, 恐惧的力量非常实在, 能让我们不去做、不去说 我们人生的目的。
concrete:n.混凝土;adj.混凝土制的;确实的,具体的;vt.用混凝土覆盖
And I was like, "You know what? 而我说:「你知道吗?
I'm not going to let fear rule my life. 我不要让恐惧主宰我的人生。
I'm not going to let fear dictate what I do." 我不要让恐惧来规定我要做什么。」
dictate:v.决定;口述;支配;强行规定;n.规定;命令;
And then all of these awesome things started happening, and dominoes started to fall. 接着,很棒的事情开始接连发生, 骨牌开始倒下。
awesome:adj.令人敬畏的;使人畏惧的;可怕的;极好的;
So when I realized that, I was like, "OK, 2015, 当我发现时,我说: 「好,2015 年,
I turned 30, it's going to be my year of 'Do it anyway.' 我迈入三十岁, 这年就是我的 『无论如何就去做』年。
Anything that scares me, I'm going to actively pursue it." 任何让我害怕的事物, 我就要主动去追求它。」
pursue:v.继续;从事;追赶;纠缠;
So, I'm a Capricorn. 我是摩羯座。
I like my feel solidly on the ground. 我喜欢脚踏实地。
solidly:adv.坚固地;坚硬地;团结一致地;
I decided to take my first-ever solo vacation, and it was out of the country to the Dominican Republic. 我决定要第一次一个人单独渡假, 且是要出国,到多明尼加共和国。
first-ever:adj.第一例;前所未有; solo:n.独奏; adj.独奏的; v.单人攀登; v.单独地; Dominican:adj.多明尼加共和国的;n.多明尼加共和国的居民;
So on my birthday, what did I do? 在我生日那天,我做了什么?
I went ziplining through the forests of Punta Cana. 我去玩钢索飞行, 穿越蓬塔卡纳的森林。
And for some odd reason, I had on business casual. 因为很奇怪的理由, 我穿着商务便装。
on business:为了公事,出差;
Don't ask why. 别问为什么。
(Laughter) (笑声)
And I had an incredible time. 我玩得好开心。
incredible:adj.难以置信的,惊人的;
Also, I don't like being submerged in water. 此外,我不喜欢沉到水里。
submerged:adj.在水中的; v.(使)潜入水中,淹没; (submerge的过去式和过去分词)
I like to be, again, on solid ground. 再说一次,我喜欢脚踏实地。
So I went to Mexico and swam with dolphins underwater . 所以我去墨西哥, 和海豚在水面下游泳。
underwater:adj.在水中的;水面下的;adv.在水下;n.水下;
And then the cool thing that I did also that year that was my mountain was I wrote my book, "I'm Judging You: The Do-Better Manual ," 那年我还做了一件很酷的事, 对我很重要, 就是我写了我的书: 《我在评断你:如何做得更好》
Manual:n.说明书;指南;使用手册;adj.用手的;手工的;体力的;手动的;
And I had to own -- 那我现在应该──
(Applause) (掌声)
that whole writing thing now, right? 可以承认写作这整件事了吧?
Yes. 是的。
But the very anti-me thing that I did that year that scared the crap out of me -- 但在那一年我做了件 非常「反我」的事, 把我吓得半死的事──
crap:n.废话;废物;屎;拉屎;vi.掷骰子;拉屎;
I went skydiving . 我去跳伞了。
skydiving:n.延缓张伞跳伞运动;特技跳伞运动
We're about to fall out of the plane. 我们正要掉下飞机。
I was like, "I've done some stupid things in life. This is one of them." 我在说:「我一生中做过 一些蠢事,这是其中之一。」
(Laughter) (笑声)
And then we come falling down to Earth , and I literally lose my breath as I see Earth, and I was like, "I just fell out of a perfectly good plane on purpose ." 接着我们就向下落向地球, 当我看到地球时, 我真的无法呼吸了,我说: 「我刚刚故意掉出一架 完全没故障的飞机。」
down to Earth:实际的; literally:adv.按字面:字面上:确实地: on purpose:有目的地,故意地;
(Laughter) (笑声)
'"What is wrong with me?!" (笑声)
But then I looked down at the beauty, and I was like, "This is the best thing I could have done. 但接着,我向下看着美景, 我说:「这是我所能 做的事情当中最棒的了。
This was an amazing decision." 这是个了不起的决定。」
And I think about the times when I have to speak truth. 我想到我得要说实话的那些时候。
It feels like I am falling out of that plane. 感觉就像我从那架飞机上落下。
It feels like that moment when I'm at the edge of the plane, and I'm like, "You shouldn't do this," 感觉就像是我身在 飞机边缘上的那一刻, 我说:「你不该这样做。」
but then I do it anyway, because I realize I have to. 但我还是做了, 因为我知道我得要做。
Sitting at the edge of that plane and kind of staying on that plane is comfort to me. 坐在那架飞机的边缘, 且对我来说,待在飞机上是舒适的。
And I feel like every day that I'm speaking truth against institutions and people who are bigger than me and just forces that are more powerful than me, 我感觉就像是每天我都在说出真相, 来对抗比我巨大的制度和人, 他们就是比我更强大的力量,
institutions:n.机构;慈善机构;风俗习惯,制度;(institution的复数)
I feel like I'm falling out of that plane. 我感觉就像我要从那架飞机上落下。
But I realize comfort is overrated . 但我了解到,舒适被高估了。
overrated:v.对…评价过高;高估;(overrate的过去分词和过去式)
Because being quiet is comfortable. 因为,安静不出声很舒适。
Keeping things the way they've been is comfortable. 让事物保持过去一直以来的样子, 很舒适。
And all comfort has done is maintain the status quo . 舒适能做的,就是维持现状。
maintain:v.维持;保持;维修;保养;坚持(意见); status quo:n.现状;原来的状况;
So we've got to get comfortable with being uncomfortable by speaking these hard truths when they're necessary. 我们得用感到不舒适的方式 来得到舒适, 要在必要的时候, 说出这些难说出口的真相。
And I -- 而我……
(Applause) (掌声)
And for me, though, I realize that I have to speak these truths, because honesty is so important to me. 不过,对我来说, 我了解到我得要说出这些真相, 因为诚实对我相当重要。
My integrity is something I hold dear. 我非常重视我的廉正。
integrity:n.完整;正直;诚实;廉正;
Justice -- I don't think justice should be an option. 正义──我不认为 正义应该是个选项。
Justice:n.公平;公正;司法制度;审判;
We should always have justice. 我们应该一直要有正义。
Also, I believe in shea butter as a core value, and -- 此外,我相信乳油木果油是核心价值 (注:有保湿功能),
shea butter:n.乳木果油(从乳果木的果实中提取的油脂,用于食品和化妆品); core:n.核心;要点;果心;[计]磁心;vt.挖...的核;
(Laughter) (笑声)
and I think the world would be better if we were more moisturized . (笑声)
moisturized:vi.增加水分;变潮湿;vt.使增加水分,使湿润;
But besides that, with these as my core values, 除此之外,因为我有这些核心价值,
besides:adv.此外;而且;prep.除…之外;
I have to speak the truth. 我得要说出真相。
I have no other choice in the matter. 在这件事上我没得选择。
But people like me, the professional troublemakers , should not be the only ones who are committed to being these dominoes who are always falling out of planes or being the first one to take this hit. 但像我这样的人,职業问题制造者, 不应该是唯一投入 去担任这些骨牌的人、 总是从飞机上落下的人, 或是最先成为箭靶的人。
troublemakers:n.麻烦制造者(troublemaker的复数); committed:adj.坚信的; v.做出错事; (commit的过去分词和过去式)
People are so afraid of these acute consequences, not realizing that there are many times when we walk in rooms and we are some of the most powerful people in those rooms -- we might be the second-most powerful, third-most powerful. 人们很害怕这些急性后果, 以致于他们没发现, 很多时候,当我们走进房间, 我们是那些房间中最强大的人── 我们可能是第二强大、第三强大。
acute:adj.严重的,[医]急性的;敏锐的;激烈的;尖声的;
And I firmly believe that our job in those times is to disrupt what is happening. 而我坚信,在那些时候,我们的工作 是要阻断正在发生的事。
disrupt:vt.破坏;使瓦解;使分裂;使中断;使陷于混乱;adj.分裂的,中断的;分散的;
And then if we're not the most powerful, if two more of us band together, it makes us powerful. 如果我们不是最强大的人, 如果再有两个我们的人团结起来, 就能让我们变强大。
band:n.带;波段;频带;箍;v.加彩条(或嵌条等);(将价格、收入等)划分档次;
It's like cosigning the woman in the meeting, you know, the woman who can't seem to get her word out, or just making sure that other person who can't make a point is being heard. 就像是在会议中的女性连署, 你知道的,似乎无法发声的女性, 或是就只是确保无法 说出重点的另一个人 能被听见。
cosigning:vt.共同签署;连署保证;
Our job is to make sure they have room for that. 我们的工作是确保 他们有那样的空间。
Everyone's well-being is community business. 每一个人的幸福都是整个社群的事。
well-being:n.幸福;康乐; community:n.社区;[生态]群落;共同体;团体;
If we made that a point, we're understand that, for the times when we need help, we wouldn't have to look around so hard if we made sure we were somebody else's help. 如果我们强调那点, 我们就会了解, 如果我们确实曾幫助过别人, 当我们需要协助的时候, 我们就不用那么辛苦四处寻找了。
And there are times when I feel like 有些时候,我会觉得
I have taken very public tumbles and falls, like the time when I was asked to speak at a conference , and they wanted me to pay my way there. 我时常在众人前挑战权威, 但失败。 像有一次,我被邀请 到会议上演说, 他们要我自费过去那里。
tumbles:vi.摔倒; vt.使摔倒; n.跌倒; conference:n.会议;研讨会;商讨会;体育协会(或联合会)
And then I did some research and found out the white men who spoke there got compensated and got their travel paid for. 我接着做了些研究, 发现在那里演说的白人能得到补助, 他们不用自己付旅费。
compensated:v.补偿;弥补;给(某人)赔偿(或赔款);(compensate的过去式和过去分词)
The white women who spoke there got their travel paid for. 到那里演说的白种女性, 一样不用自己付旅费。
The black women who spoke there were expected to actually pay to speak there. 而去那里演说的黑人女性, 则被认为应该要自费前往。
And I was like, "What do I do?" 我说:「我要怎么做?」
And I knew that if I spoke up about this publicly, 我知道如果我公开说出这件事,
I could face financial loss. 我可能要面对财务上的损失。
financial:adj.金融的;财政的,财务的;
But then I also understood that my silence serves no one. 但我也了解,我的沉默 是无法幫助别人的。
So I fearfully spoke up about it publicly, and other women started coming out to talk about, "I, too, have faced this type of pay inequality." 所以我很恐惧地公开说出了这件事, 其他女性也开始站出来谈论: 「我也有面临到这种 付费不平等的问题。」
fearfully:adv.可怕地;非常地;颇;
And it started a conversation about discriminatory pay practices that this conference was participating in. 接着开启了一个对谈,内容是在谈 这个会议所参与的歧视性支付做法。
discriminatory:adj.有辨识力的;差别对待的; participating:v.参加;参与(participate的现在分词)
I felt like I was the domino the time I read a disturbing memoir by a public figure and wrote a piece about it. 当我读到一位公众人物的自传时, 我感到很不舒服, 写了篇关于它的文章, 我觉得我就是骨牌。
disturbing:adj.引起烦恼的;令人不安的;v.打扰;干扰;搅乱;使不安;(disturb的现在分词) memoir:n.回忆录;研究报告;自传;实录;
I knew this person was more powerful than me and could impact my career, but I was like, "I've got to do this. 我知道这个人比我强大, 这事可能会冲击我的职涯, 但我说:「我得做这件事。
impact:n.影响;效果;碰撞;冲击力;v.挤入,压紧;撞击;对…产生影响;
I've got to sit at the edge of this plane, maybe for two hours." 我得要坐在这架飞机的边缘上, 也许坐个两小时。」
And I did. And I pressed " Publish ," and I ran away. 而我做了。我按下「发布」, 然后赶快逃走。
Publish:v.出版;发表;公布;
(Laughter) (笑声)
And I came back to a viral post and people being like, "Oh my God, I'm so glad somebody finally said this." 我回来看到一篇疯狂转传的贴文, 人们在说:「我的天, 我好高兴终于有人这么做了。」
viral:adj.滤过性毒菌引起的;滤过性毒菌的; finally:adv.终于;最终;(用于列举)最后;彻底地;
And it started a conversation about mental health and self-care , and I was like, "OK. Alright. 它带起了交谈, 谈到心理健康和自我照护, 我说:「好。
mental:adj.精神的;脑力的;疯的;n.精神病患者; self-care:n.自顾;利己;
This thing that I'm doing, I guess, alright, it's doing something." 我在做的这件事,我想, 好,它应该有影响。」
And then so many people have been the domino when they talk about how they've been assaulted by powerful men. 接着,好多人都成了骨牌, 他们谈论到自己如何 被强大的人给攻击。
assaulted:v.猛烈攻击,袭击,侵犯人身;使(感官)难受;(assault的过去分词和过去式)
And it's made millions of women join in and say, "Me Too." 结果让数百万女性加入, 说出「我也是」。
So, a shout-out to Tarana Burke for igniting that movement. 这是对于塔拉纳柏克 点燃那运动的大喊。
shout-out:突然呼喊,大叫; Burke:vt.秘密地除去;使人窒息而死; igniting:v.点火(ignite的ing形式);
(Applause) (掌声)
People and systems count on our silence to keep us exactly where we are. 人和体制要靠我们的沉默,才能 把我们维持在我们现在的位置。
Now, being the domino sometimes comes down to being exactly who you are. 有时,成为骨牌可以归结成 成为你真正的自己。
So, I've been a shady somebody since I was three. 我从三岁以来,就一直名声不好。
(Laughter) (笑声)
This is me on my third birthday. 这是我三岁生日的照片。
But I've been this girl all my life, and I feel like even that's been the domino, because in a world that wants us to walk around as representatives of ourselves, being yourself can be a revolutionary act. 但我一生都一直是这个女孩, 我觉得,就连那也是在当骨牌, 因为在这个世界,想要我们四处走动 来当我们自身代表的世界中, 做自己可能就是个革命性的举动。
representatives:n.代表;众议院(representative的复数形式); revolutionary:adj.革命性的;革命的;彻底变革的;n.改革者;革命者;
And in a world that wants us to whisper , 在一个想要我们低语的的世界中,
whisper:v.耳语;低语;私语;小声说;n.耳语(声);低语(声);私语(声);轻柔的声音;
I choose to yell. 我选择吶喊。
(Applause) (掌声)
When it's time to say these hard things, 当到了该说出难以说出口的话时,
I ask myself three things. 我会问我自己三件事。
One: Did you mean it? 第一:你是认真的吗?
Two: Can you defend it? 第二:你能为它辩护吗?
Three: Did you say it with love? 第三:你是否带着爱而说?
If the answer is yes to all three, 如果三个答案都是「是」,
I say it and let the chips fall. 我就会说出来,不顾后果。
chips:炸土豆条(chip的复数)
That's important. 那很重要。
That checkpoint with myself always tells me, "Yes, you're supposed to do this." 我自己设的这种檢查方式 总是告诉我: 「是的,你该做这件事。」
checkpoint:n.检查站,关卡; supposed:adj.误信的;所谓的;v.认为;假设;设想;(suppose的过去分词和过去式)
Telling the truth -- telling thoughtful truths -- should not be a revolutionary act. 说出真相 ──说出考虑周到的真相── 不该是种革命性的举动。
thoughtful:adj.深思的;体贴的;关切的;
Speaking truths to power should not be sacrificial , but they are. 对有权力的人说出真相, 不该是种牺牲,但偏偏就是。
sacrificial:adj.牺牲的;献祭的;
But I think if more of us chose to do this for the greater good, we'd be in better spaces than we are right now. 但我认为,如果我们更多人能 选择为了大我而这么做, 我们的景况会比现在更好。
Speaking of the greater good, 说到大我,
I think we commit ourselves to telling truths to build bridges to common ground , and bridges that aren't based on truth will collapse . 我认为,我们要致力去 说出真相来建立桥樑, 来连结共同点, 不是以真相为基础 所搭起的桥樑一定会垮。
build bridges:建立桥梁;构建桥梁;建立纽带; common ground:n.共同点; collapse:vi.倒塌;瓦解;暴跌;vt.使倒塌,使崩溃;使萎陷;折叠;n.倒塌;失败;衰竭;
So it is our job, it is our obligation , it is our duty to speak truth to power, to be the domino, not just when it's difficult -- especially when it's difficult. 所以,我们的工作、 我们的义务、我们的责任, 就是要有权者说出真相,要当骨牌, 并不只是在很困难时要做── 在很困难时更特别一定要做。
obligation:n.义务;责任;职责;(已承诺的或法律等规定的)义务;
Thank you. 谢谢。
(Applause) (掌声)