返回首页

LucyKalanithi_2016P-_在死亡面前,生活如何有意义_

A few days after my husband Paul was diagnosed with stage IV lung cancer , we were lying in our bed at home, and Paul said, "It's going to be OK." 就在我的丈夫Paul被确诊为 肺癌晚期的几天后, 我们躺在卧室里, Paul说, 一切都会变好的。
diagnosed:v.诊断(疾病);判断(问题的原因);(diagnose的过去分词和过去式) cancer:n.癌症;恶性肿瘤;
And I remember answering back, "Yes.We just don't know what OK means yet." 我记得我回答说, 是的。 我们只是还不知道变好的意思.
Paul and I had met as first-year medical students at Yale. 我跟Paul是在耶鲁医学院 读第一年时认识的。
He was smart and kind and super funny. 他聪明、友善、超级有幽默感。
He used to keep a gorilla suit in the trunk of his car, and he'd say, "It's for emergencies only." 他常年在车里的后备箱 放着一件大猩猩服, 他说,“以备不时之需。”
gorilla:大猩猩 emergencies:n.突发事件;紧急情况;(emergency的复数)
(Laughter) (笑声)
I fell in love with Paul as I watched the care he took with his patients . 我在目睹了他细心照顾他的患者 之后便爱上了他。
patients:n.接受治疗者,病人;(patient的复数)
He stayed late talking with them, seeking to understand the experience of illness and not just its technicalities . 他跟患者可以聊到很晚, 希望能够理解疾病带来的感触, 而不仅仅是技术层面的细节。
seeking:v.寻找;寻求;谋求;争取;(向人)请求(seek的现在分词) technicalities:n.技术性细节;诉讼程序性细节;(technicality的复数)
He later told me he fell in love with me when he saw me cry over an EKG of a heart that had ceased beating. 他后来告诉我,从他看到我面对着 一份停止跳动的 心电图哭泣那刻就爱上我了。
ceased:v.停止(cease的过去式及过去分词形式);中止;中断;
We didn't know it yet, but even in the heady days of young love, we were learning how to approach suffering together. 我们那时不知道, 早在我们尚未坠入爱河之前, 我们就已经在学习如何 共同承担痛苦。
heady:adj.兴奋的;任性的;性急的;顽固的;使人头晕的; approach:n.方法;路径;v.接近;建议;着手处理;
We got married and became doctors. 我们结婚了,毕业后都当了医生。
I was working as an internist and Paul was finishing his training as a neurosurgeon when he started to lose weight. 我选择了当内科医生, Paul当时即将结束 神经外科的训练课程, 但·他的体重也开始往下掉。
internist:n.[内科]内科医生; neurosurgeon:n.神经外科医生;
He developed excruciating back pain and a cough that wouldn't go away. 他的后背逐渐开始疼痛, 咳嗽总是不见好。
excruciating:adj.折磨人的;极痛苦的;极坏的;v.折磨;使受酷刑;(excruciate的现在分词)
And when he was admitted to the hospital, a CT scan revealed tumors in Paul's lungs and in his bones. 当他被收治住院时, CT显示肿瘤已经遍布 他的肺和骨头。
CT scan:n."CATscan"的单数; revealed:v.揭示;显示;露出;(reveal的过去分词和过去式) tumors:n.肿瘤(tumor的复数);
We had both cared for patients with devastating diagnoses; now it was our turn. 我们都细心照顾过各种身患 重大疾患的病人; 现在轮到我们了。
devastating:adj.毁灭性的; v.毁灭; (devastate的现在分词)
We lived with Paul's illness for 22 months. 我们跟Paul的癌症抗争了22个月。
He wrote a memoir about facing mortality . 他写了一本回忆录,记录面对死亡的感受。
memoir:n.回忆录;研究报告;自传;实录; mortality:n.死亡数,死亡率;必死性,必死的命运;
I gave birth to our daughter Cady, and we loved her and each other. 我们的女儿Cady顺利出生。 我们爱她,爱彼此。
We learned directly how to struggle through really tough medical decisions. 我们学会了如何面对 各种艰难的医学选择。
directly:adv.直接地;立即;马上;正好地;坦率地;conj.一…就;
The day we took Paul into the hospital for the last time was the most difficult day of my life. Paul最后一次收治住院那天, 对于我而言是最艰难的一天。
When he turned to me at the end and said, "I'm ready," 当他在最后的时刻,看着我, 说,“我准备好了。”
I knew that wasn't just a brave decision. 我明白,那不仅是勇敢的选择,
It was the right one. 也是正确的选择。
Paul didn't want a ventilator and CPR. Paul并不想要呼吸机和心肺复苏,
ventilator:n.通风设备;换气扇;[医]呼吸机;
In that moment, the most important thing to Paul was to hold our baby daughter. 在那一刻, 对于Paul而言最重要的事情 是抱着我们襁褓中的女儿。
Nine hours later, 九个小时之后,
Paul died. Paul走了。
I've always thought of myself as a caregiver — most physicians do — and taking care of Paul deepened what that meant. 我一直认为自己是一名照料者—— 就像其他医生一样—— 而照顾Paul的经历让我对于 照料者的理解更深刻。
caregiver:n.照料者,护理者; physicians:n.[内科]内科医生(physician的复数); deepened:v.加强,变强烈;(使)变糟,恶化,严重;(使)变深;(deepen的过去分词和过去式)
Watching him reshape his identity during his illness, learning to witness and accept his pain, talking together through his choices — those experiences taught me 目睹他在跟病魔斗争的过程中对自己的重塑, 学会见证和接受他的痛苦, 跟他一起接受他的选择—— 这些经历让我学会了
reshape:vt.改造;再成形; identity:n.身份;同一性,一致;特性;恒等式; witness:n.证人;目击者;证据;v.目击;证明;为…作证;
that resilience does not mean bouncing back to where you were before, or pretending that the hard stuff isn't hard. 坚强并不意味着回到过去的自己, 或假装那些很痛苦的事情没什么大不了的。
resilience:n.恢复力;弹力;顺应力; stuff:n.东西:物品:基本特征:v.填满:装满:标本:
It is so hard. 太艰难了。
It's painful , messy stuff. 过程充满痛苦,让人伤透脑筋。
painful:adj.痛苦的;疼痛的;令人不快的; messy:adj.肮脏的;凌乱的;不整洁的;
But it's the stuff. 但是就是这个过程。
And I learned that when we approach it together, we get to decide what success looks like. 我知道了当我们一起努力, 我们就能知道成功是什么样子。
One of the first things 当他的诊断结果出来后,
Paul said to me after his diagnosis was, "I want you to get remarried ." 他对我说的第一句话是, “我希望你能再嫁。”
diagnosis:n.诊断; remarried:v.再婚;(remarry的过去式和过去分词)
And I was like, whoa, I guess we get to say anything out loud. 我当时想,哇,我觉得我们 当时什么都敢说了。
(Laughter) (笑声)
It was so shocking and heartbreaking ... 非常的震惊, 令人心碎——
heartbreaking:adj.令人心碎的;使人悲痛的;
and generous , and really comforting because it was so starkly honest, and that honesty turned out to be exactly what we needed. 同时也是一种大度, 同时也非常舒心, 因为我们完全的诚实, 这种诚实正是我们最需要的。
generous:adj.慷慨的,大方的;宽宏大量的;有雅量的; starkly:adv.严酷地;明显地;毫无掩饰地;
Early in Paul's illness, we agreed we would just keep saying things out loud. 在Paul患病的早期, 我们商量好,我们什么事情都敞开说。
Tasks like making a will, or completing our advance directives — tasks that I had always avoided — were not as daunting as they once seemed. 像是立遗嘱这样的事情, 完成预留医疗指示(ADS)——(译注:丧失主观意识时的医护指示) 那些我一直逃避的事情—— 当真正面对时并没有那么可怕。
directives:n.指令(directive的复数形式);指示; daunting:adj.令人生畏的:令人胆怯的:v.使胆怯:使失去信心;(daunt的现在分词)
I realized that completing an advance directive is an act of love — like a wedding vow . 我意识到预留医疗指示(ADS) 是一种爱的举动—— 就像是婚礼上的誓言。
vow:n.发誓;誓言;许愿;v.发誓;郑重宣告;vi.发誓;郑重宣告;
A pact to take care of someone, codifying the promise that til death do us part, 一种照料对方的契约, 将誓言铭刻下来 直到生死相隔,
pact:n.协定;公约;条约;契约; codifying:vt.编纂;将...编成法典;编成法典;
I will be there. 我永不言弃。
If needed, I will speak for you. 我会在需要时为你表达你的意愿。
speak for:要求得到;代表…讲话;
I will honor your wishes. 我会完成你的愿望。
That paperwork became a tangible part of our love story. 这个法律文书成为我们 爱情故事的见证。
paperwork:n.文书工作; tangible:adj.有形的;切实的;可触摸的;n.有形资产;
As physicians, 作为医生,
Paul and I were in a good position to understand and even accept his diagnosis. 我跟Paul都有充分的心理准备 去理解,甚至接受诊断结果。
We weren't angry about it, luckily, because we'd seen so many patients in devastating situations,and we knew that death is a part of life. 我们并没有感到愤怒, 很幸运, 因为我们早就目睹太多危重的病人, 我们知道,死,是生命的一部分。
But it's one thing to know that; it was a very different experience to actually live with the sadness and uncertainty of a serious illness. 但是,大道理谁都知道; 当真的自己遇到的时候, 亲身经历悲伤和不确定性 是完全不同的体验。
uncertainty:n.不确定,不可靠;
Huge strides are being made against lung cancer, but we knew that Paul likely had months to a few years left to live. 肺癌的治疗方法效果很好, 但是我们知道Paul的预期寿命 只有几年,甚至几个月。
strides:n.大步;步幅(stride的复数形式);v.跨过;迈步(stride的第三人称单数形式);
During that time, 在那段时间,
Paul wrote about his transition from doctor to patient. Paul记录了他从医生 到病人的转变,
transition:n.过渡;转变;变革;变迁;v.经历转变过程;过渡;
He talked about feeling like he was suddenly at a crossroads , and how he would have thought he'd be able to see the path, that because he treated so many patients, maybe he could follow in their footsteps . 他谈到了突然感觉 自己站在了十字路口, 以及他是如何以为自己能看清道路, 因为他已经帮助过那么多病人, 或许他可以追踪他们的脚步。
crossroads:n.十字路口;交叉路口;聚会的中心地点(crossroad的复数形式); treated:v.以…态度对待;把…看作;(treat的过去分词和过去式) footsteps:n.脚步(footstep的复数形式);步距;
But he was totally disoriented . 但是他彻底的迷失了方向。
disoriented:adj.无判断力的; v.使迷失方向; (disorient的过去时和过去分词)
Rather than a path, 根本不是一条路,
Paul wrote,"I saw instead only a harsh , vacant , gleaming white desert. Paul写到,“我看到的是只有一片荒芜、空虚、泛着光的白色的沙漠。
harsh:adj.严厉的;严酷的;刺耳的;粗糙的;刺目的; vacant:adj.空虚的;空闲的;茫然的; gleaming:adj.闪耀的;明亮的;v.发微光;隐约闪光;闪烁;(gleam的现在分词)
As if a sandstorm had erased all familiarity . 就像是一场沙尘暴将所有 熟悉的东西都刮跑了。
sandstorm:n.[气象]沙暴;大风沙; erased:v.清除;消除;消灭;擦掉,抹掉(erase的过去分词和过去式) familiarity:n.熟悉,精通;亲密;随便;
I had to face my mortality and try to understand what made my life worth living, and I needed my oncologist 's help to do so." 我必须面对我将死的事实, 尝试搞清楚如何能够活得有意义, 我需要我的肿瘤医生帮助我。”
oncologist:n.肿瘤学家;肿瘤医师;
The clinicians taking care of Paul gave me an even deeper appreciation for my colleagues in health care . 临床医生们对Paul的照料 让我对于我医疗界的同事 有了更深的感激。
clinicians:临床医生(clinician的名词复数); appreciation:n.升值;欣赏;感谢;增值; colleagues:n.同事;同行(colleague的复数); health care:n.卫生保健;
We have a tough job. 我们的工作很难。
We're responsible for helping patients have clarity around their prognoses and their treatment options , and that's never easy, but it's especially tough when you're dealing with potentially terminal illnesses like cancer. 我们有责任帮助患者 清楚的知道预期后果 以及他们治疗的选择, 这向来不是简单的事情, 尤其是处理癌症 等不治之症的时候,选择更加的艰难。
responsible:adj.负责的,可靠的;有责任的; clarity:n.清楚,明晰;透明; prognoses:n.预测; treatment:n.治疗;疗法;对待;处理;讨论; options:n.选择; v.得到或获准进行选择; (option的三单形式) especially:adv.尤其;特别;格外;十分; potentially:adv.可能地,潜在地; terminal:n.终端;航站楼;终端机;航空终点站;adj.晚期的;不治的;致命的;患绝症的;
Some people don't want to know how long they have left,others do. 有些人愿意不去知道还有多少时日,有的人想知道。
Either way, we never have those answers. 无论哪种,我们都不知道答案的。
Sometimes we substitute hope by emphasizing the best-case scenario . 有时候我们会强调最好的可能性, 以期让希望显得更大一些。
substitute:v.取代;(以…)代替;n.代用品;代替物;代替者;替补(运动员); emphasizing:v.强调(emphasize的现在分词); best-case:adj.为最佳情况设计的;供最佳情况下使用的;从最佳情况考虑的; scenario:n.方案;情节;剧本;
In a survey of physicians, 55 percent said they painted a rosier picture than their honest opinion when describing a patient's prognosis . 一次面向医生的调查中, 55%的医生说当他们 跟病人描述预后时, 相比于他们真实的意见, 他们会尝试说得更有希望一些。
survey:n.调查;测量;审视;纵览;vt.调查;勘测;俯瞰;vi.测量土地; rosier:红润的;玫瑰色的;美好的(rosy的比较级); describing:v.描述;形容;把…称为;做…运动;(describe的现在分词) prognosis:n.[医]预后;预知;
It's an instinct born out of kindness. 这是一种出于本能的友善。
instinct:n.本能;天性;直觉;adj.充满的;
But researchers have found that when people better understand the possible outcomes of an illness, they have less anxiety , greater ability to plan and less trauma for their families. 但是研究人员发现 当患者能够更好的理解 疾病的预期后果时, 他们的焦虑更少, 更有可能好好规划, 并可能减少给家庭带来的伤痛。
outcomes:n.结果;成果;后果;出路;(outcome的复数) anxiety:n.焦虑;渴望;挂念;令人焦虑的事; trauma:n.[外科]创伤(由心理创伤造成精神上的异常);外伤;
Families can struggle with those conversations, but for us, we also found that information immensely helpful with big decisions. 一个家庭在讨论这类话题时可能非常痛苦, 但是我们同样发现在做重大决策时 真实信息的重要性。
immensely:adv.极大地;无限地;广大地;庞大地;
Most notably , whether to have a baby. 最重要的是, 要不要生孩子。
notably:adv.显著地;尤其;
Months to a few years meant 只有不到一两年的预期寿命意味着
Paul was not likely to see her grow up. Paul无法看到女儿长大。
But he had a good chance of being there for her birth and for the beginning of her life. 但是他能够有机会看到女儿的出生 并在生命开始的时候陪伴左右。
I remember asking Paul if he thought having to say goodbye to a child would make dying even more painful. 我记得问过Paul 要跟一个襁褓中的孩子告别 会不会让死亡更加痛苦。
And his answer astounded me. 他的回答震撼了我。
astounded:adj.受惊骇的;被震惊的;v.使惊愕(astound的过去式和过去分词);
He said,"Wouldn't it be great if it did?" 他说,“真能这样,难道不会更好么?”
And we did it. 于是我们怀孕了。
Not in order to spite cancer, but because we were learning that living fully means accepting suffering. 并不是为了跟癌症斗争, 而是因为我们学会了 有意义的生活,包括了接受苦难。
spite:n.不顾;恶意;怨恨;v.刁难;使恼怒;
Paul's oncologist tailored his chemo so he could continue working as a neurosurgeon, which initially we thought was totally impossible. Paul的肿瘤医生适量减少了他化疗的剂量 这样他依然可以从事 神经外科手术, 这在一开始我们觉得是 完全不可能的。
chemo:n.化疗(等于chemotherapy);化学疗法; initially:adv.最初,首先;开头;
When the cancer advanced and Paul shifted from surgery to writing, his palliative care doctor prescribed a stimulant medication so he could be more focused. 当癌症进一步加重时 Paul放下了手术刀,拿起了笔, 他的姑息疗法医生给他开了 兴奋类的药物, 这样他可以更加专注。
advanced:adj.先进的; v.前进; (advance的过去式和过去分词形式) shifted:转移;移动(shift的过去式和过去分词); surgery:n.外科;外科手术;手术室;诊疗室; palliative:n.辩解;缓和剂;暂时姑息的手段;adj.缓和的;掩饰的;可斟酌的; prescribed:v.给…开(药); (prescribe的过去式和过去分词) stimulant:n.[药]兴奋剂;刺激物;酒精饮料;adj.激励的;使人兴奋的; medication:n.药;药物;
They asked Paul about his priorities and his worries. 他们询问了Paul在意的事情 和担心的事情。
priorities:n.优先事项;优先权;重点;(priority的复数)
They asked him what trade-offs he was willing to make. 他们询问了他在一些问题上的取舍。
trade-offs:n.权衡(trade-off的复数);交易;物物交换;
Those conversations are the best way to ensure that your health care matches your values. 这些谈话是确保你的医疗计划 符合你的预期的最好方式。
ensure:vt.保证,确保;使安全;
Paul joked that it's not like that "birds and bees" talk you have with your parents, where you all get it over with as quickly as possible, and then pretend it never happened. Paul开玩笑说, 这跟你的父母跟你谈论 有关性的话题是不一样的, 这种谈话你总想尽早结束, 然后假装从没发生过。
You revisit the conversation as things change. 当事情变化时你会回过头来 回顾这些谈话。
revisit:vt.重游;再访;重临;n.再访问;
You keep saying things out loud. 你坚持说出真实感受。
I'm forever grateful because Paul's clinicians felt that their job wasn't to try to give us answers they didn't have, or only to try to fix things for us, but to counsel Paul through painful choices ... 我会永远感激 Paul的临床医生们, 他们并不觉得他们的工作 是提供他们不知道的答案 或仅仅是帮我们修复什么东西, 而是在Paul面对痛苦的选择时 提供咨询建议…
counsel:n.劝告,忠告,建议;法律顾问;律师;vt.提供专业咨询;建议,劝告(做某事)
when his body was failing but his will to live wasn't. 他的身体逐渐垮下去的时候, 他的精神依然矍铄。
Later, after Paul died, 在Paul死后,
I received a dozen bouquets of flowers, but I sent just one ... 我收到了很多花束, 而我送出了一束…
bouquets:n.[植]花束;宴会;
to Paul's oncologist, because she supported his goals and she helped him weigh his choices. 给Paul的肿瘤医生, 因为她为Paul的目标提供支持 并帮助他权衡可能的选择。
She knew that living means more than just staying alive. 她知道生活并不仅仅意味着活着。
A few weeks ago,a patient came into my clinic. 几周前,一位患者来到我的诊所。
A woman dealing with a serious chronic disease . 是一位患有严重慢性病的女士。
chronic:adj.慢性的;长期的;习惯性的; disease:n.病,[医]疾病;弊病;vt.传染;使…有病;
And while we were talking about her life and her health care, she said, "I love my palliative care team. 当我们讨论她的生活和医疗计划时, 她提到,“我爱我的姑息治疗小组。
They taught me that it's OK to say 'no'." 他们让我知道是完全可以说‘不’的。”
Yeah, I thought, of course it is. 对呀,我想,当然了。
But many patients don't feel that. 但是很多患者没有意识到这点。
Compassion and Choices did a study where they asked people about their health care preferences . “热情和选择”组织做过调查, 调查内容是询问人们的 医疗健康偏好。
Compassion:n.同情;怜悯; preferences:n.偏爱;爱好;喜爱;偏爱的事物;(preference的复数)
And a lot of people started their answers with the words "Well, if I had a choice ..." 很多人开始回答都是以 “如果我有选择的话…”开头。
If I had a choice. 如果我有选择。
And when I read that "if,"I understood better why one in four people receives excessive or unwanted medical treatment, or watches a family member receive excessive or unwanted medical treatment. 但我读到那个“如果”,我更加理解 为什么四分之一的人 被过度医疗了, 或者目睹家庭成员被过度医疗。
excessive:adj.过多的,极度的;过分的; unwanted:adj.不需要的;有害的;讨厌的;空闲的;
It's not because doctors don't get it. 并不是因为医生不知道。
We do. 我们知道。
We understand the real psychological consequences on patients and their families. 我们知道这些对于患者和家庭而言 带来的真实的心理上的后果。
psychological:adj.心理的;心理学的;精神上的; consequences:n.后果,结果;影响(consequence的复数);
The things is, we deal with them, too. 问题是,我们也有困扰要处理。
Half of critical care nurses and a quarter of ICU doctors have considered quitting their jobs because of distress over feeling that for some of their patients, they've provided care that didn't fit with the person's values. 一半的重症监护护士和 1/4的ICU医生 考虑过换工作, 因为有时候他们提供的帮助 并不符合患者的诉求, 这种感觉让他们感觉到很痛苦。
critical:adj.鉴定的;[核]临界的;批评的,爱挑剔的;危险的;决定性的;评论的; quitting:v.离开;离任;离校;停止;戒掉;(quit的现在分词) distress:n.危难,不幸;贫困;悲痛;v.使悲痛;使贫困; provided:conj.假如; v.提供; (provide的过去分词和过去式)
But doctors can't make sure your wishes are respected until they know what they are. 但是只有当医生知道 你的愿望究竟是什么, 才有可能确认它们得到了尊重。
Would you want to be on life support if it offered any chance of longer life? 你是否愿意通过生命维持装置 延续你的生命?
life support:adj.保障生命的,维持生命的;
Are you most worried about the quality of that time, rather than quantity ? 那时你是否更加关注生活质量, 而不是生命的长度?
quantity:n.量;数量;大量;数额;
Both of those choices are thoughtful and brave, but for all of us, it's our choice. 两种选择都是勇敢且睿智的, 对我们而言,这是我们的选择。
thoughtful:adj.深思的;体贴的;关切的;
That's true at the end of life and for medical care throughout our lives. 这对于我们的临终医疗 以及我们日常的医疗服务都是如此。
throughout:adv.自始至终,到处;全部;prep.贯穿,遍及;
If you're pregnant , do you want genetic screening? 如果你怀孕了,你想做 基因筛查么?
pregnant:adj.怀孕的;富有意义的; genetic:adj.基因的;遗传学的;
Is a knee replacement right or not? 要不要更换膝关节?
replacement:n.替换;更换;替代品;接替者;
Do you want to do dialysis in a clinic or at home? 你希望在家还是在诊所 做血液透析?
dialysis:n.[医][分化]透析;[分化]渗析;
The answer is:it depends. 答案是:看情况。
What medical care will help you live the way you want to? 哪种医疗方案能够帮助你 按你想要的方式生活?
I hope you remember that question the next time you face a decision in your health care. 我希望你在下一次面对你的医疗方案问题时, 能够记得这个问题。
Remember that you always have a choice, and it is OK to say no to a treatment that's not right for you. 记住,你始终可以选择。 而且当医疗方案不适合你时, 你可以说不。
There's a poem by W.S. Merwin — it's just two sentences long — that captures how I feel now. W.S. Merwin 写过一首诗—— 很短,只有两行—— 描述了我现在的感受。
captures:v.俘虏;捕获;攻占;夺得;争得;(capture的第三人称单数)
'"Your absence has gone through me like thread through a needle . “你的离去,如丝线穿针, 穿过了我。
absence:n.没有;缺乏;缺席;不注意; thread:n.螺纹;线索;思路;脉络;v.穿过;穿(针);纫(针);(使)穿过; needle:n.针;针头;指针;缝针;v.穿过;刺激;拿针缝;拿针穿;
Everything I do is stitched with its color." 从此我的生活,都是你的色彩。”
stitched:v.缝;缝补;缝合(伤口);(stitch的过去分词和过去式)
For me that poem evokes my love for Paul, and a new fortitude that came from loving and losing him. 对于我而言,这首诗激发了我对Paul的爱, 带给我新的勇气 在我经历对Paul的爱和逝去之后。
evokes:vt.引起,唤起;博得; fortitude:n.刚毅;不屈不挠;勇气;
When Paul said, "It's going to be OK," 当Paul说,“一切都会变好的,”
that didn't mean that we could cure his illness. 他并不是说他的癌症能够痊愈。
Instead, we learned to accept both joy and sadness at the same time; to uncover beauty and purpose both despite and because we are all born and we all die. 相反,我们学会了接受这段过程中经历的愉悦和悲伤; 去发现生活的美和意义, 学会放下,因为我们都会出生, 也都会死去。
uncover:v.揭开盖子;发现;揭露;揭发; despite:prep.尽管,不管;n.轻视;憎恨;侮辱;
And for all the sadness and sleepless nights, it turns out there is joy. 在那些悲伤的不眠之夜, 我们也找到了一些快乐。
sleepless:adj.失眠的;不休息的;警觉的;永不停息的;
I leave flowers on Paul's grave and watch our two-year-old run around on the grass. 我在Paul的坟墓摆上鲜花 看着两岁大的孩子 在草地里奔跑玩耍。
grave:adj.重大的;严肃的;黯淡的;n.墓穴,坟墓;死亡;v.雕刻;铭记; run around:n.遁词;借口;
I build bonfires on the beach and watch the sunset with our friends. 我在海滩点一堆篝火, 跟朋友看日落。
bonfires:n.篝火;营火(bonfire的复数); on the beach:adj.在海滩上;失业的;潦倒的;退休的; sunset:adj.霞红色的; n.日落(时分); v.(使)定期届满废止;
Exercise and mindfulness meditation have helped a lot. 健身和冥想训练很有帮助。
mindfulness:n.留心,警觉; meditation:n.冥想;沉思,深思;
And someday, 有时候,
I hope I do get remarried. 我确实希望能够再婚。
Most importantly, 最重要的是,我能够
I get to watch our daughter grow. 看着女儿一天天长大。
I've thought a lot about what I'm going to say to her when she's older. 我一直在思考,当她更大一些 如何跟她诉说。
'"Cady, engaging in the full range of experience — living and dying, is what we get to do. “Cady, 拥抱人生所有的体验—— 生与死, 都是我们要经历的。
engaging:adj.有趣的; v.吸引住(注意力、兴趣); (engage的现在分词)
Being human doesn't happen despite suffering. 身而为人并不能够无视苦难。
It happens within it. 人生伴随着苦难。
When we approach suffering together, when we choose not to hide from it, our lives don't diminish , they expand ." 当我们能够一起面对苦难, 当我们选择不再去回避它, 我们的生活并不会萎缩, 而是会得到延伸。”
diminish:vt.使减少;使变小;vi.减少,缩小;变小; expand:v.扩张;使膨胀;详述;发展;张开,展开;
I've learned that cancer isn't always a battle. 经历过这些我意识到治疗癌症 并不是一场战役。
Or if it is, maybe it's a fight for something different than we thought. 如果是的话, 那么可能也是一场跟我们 想象的不同的战役。
different than:不同于;
Our job isn't to fight fate, but to help each other through. 我们要做的不是跟命运抗争, 而是相互扶持,度过难关。
Not as soldiers but as shepherds . 我们不是战士, 我们是牧羊人。
shepherds:n.牧羊人; v.带领(shepherd的三单形式);
That's how we make it OK, even when it's not. 这是我们体会到的变好, 即使它可能不是。
By saying it out loud, by helping each other through ... 通过开诚布公, 相互扶持度过这段旅程…
and a gorilla suit never hurts, either. 准备一套大猩猩戏服总没坏处。
Thank you. 谢谢大家。
(Applause) (掌声)