返回首页

LizaDonnelly_2010W-_通过幽默漫画求变革_

(Laughter) (笑声)
I was afraid of womanhood . 对于女性气质,我曾经有些担心。
womanhood:n.女人;女人气质;女子成年期;
Not that I'm not afraid now, but I've learned to pretend. 不是说我现在不担心了, 而是我已学会掩饰。
I've learned to be flexible . 我已学会应变自如。
flexible:adj.灵活的;柔韧的;易弯曲的;
In fact, I've developed some interesting tools to help me deal with this fear. 事实上,我学会了一些有趣的东西 来帮助我应付这种担心。
Let me explain. 让我解释一下。
Back in the '50s and '60s, when I was growing up, little girls were supposed to be kind and thoughtful and pretty and gentle and soft, and we were supposed to fit into roles that were sort of shadowy -- really not quite clear what we were supposed to be. 回到1950和1960年代,在我成长年代中, 小女孩应该是善良,体贴 可爱,温柔和温顺的。 我们得适应 这种模糊的女孩象征模式。 真的不是很清楚我们应该是什么样子的?
supposed:adj.误信的;所谓的;v.认为;假设;设想;(suppose的过去分词和过去式) thoughtful:adj.深思的;体贴的;关切的; shadowy:adj.朦胧的;有阴影的;虚无的;暗黑的;
(Laughter) (笑声)
There were plenty of role models all around us. 在我们身边有很多女性榜样,
We had our mothers, our aunts, our cousins, our sisters, and of course, the ever-present media bombarding us with images and words, telling us how to be. 如我们的母亲,我们的阿姨,我们的姐妹, 当然,无处不在的媒体 不断给我们灌输女性的图片和文字, 教导我们该成为怎样的一个女孩。
ever-present:adj.经常存在的;始终存在的; media:n.媒体;媒质(medium的复数);血管中层;浊塞音;中脉; bombarding:n.炮击;射击;曝光;碰撞;照射;adj.急袭的;爆炸的(碰撞的); images:n.印象;声誉;形象;画像;雕像;(image的第三人称单数和复数)
Now my mother was different. 我母亲当时是与众不同的。
She was a homemaker , but she and I didn't go out and do girlie things together, and she didn't buy me pink outfits . 她是一个家庭主妇, 但我和她没有出去,去做些女性该做的事情。 她没有给我买粉红套装。
homemaker:n.主妇; girlie:n.少女;adj.色情的; outfits:n.全套装备; v.装备;
Instead, she knew what I needed, and she bought me a book of cartoons. 相反,她知道我所需的,她买给我卡通书。
And I just ate it up. 我就如饥似渴地读卡通书。
I drew, and I drew, and since I knew that humor was acceptable in my family, 我也画画了, 自从我知道在我家漫画可以被接受,
humor:n.幽默;心情;情绪;脾气;v.迎合;迁就; acceptable:adj.认同的;可接受的;令人满意的;
I could draw, do what I wanted to do, and not have to perform , not have to speak -- 我可以画画,做我想做的事, 而不去做些我不擅长的事,我不善于讲话
perform:v.表演;执行;履行;演出;工作,运转(好/不好);
I was very shy -- and I could still get approval . 我非常害羞 但我仍然得到画画的认同。
approval:n.批准;认可;赞成;
I was launched as a cartoonist . 后来我作为一名漫画家。
launched:v.发射;发起;开展;开始;(launch的过去式和过去分词) cartoonist:n.漫画家;
Now when we're young, we don't always know. We know there are rules out there, but we don't always know -- we don't perform them right, even though we are imprinted at birth with these things, and we're told what the most important color in the world is. 当我们年轻时, 我们总是不清楚--我们知道有关女孩的条条框框, 但是我们的确不清楚-- 我们完全不会遵照条条框框去做事, 尽管我们从出生被灌输 这些女孩的东西, 我们被教导 世界上最重要的颜色是什么?
imprinted:adj.印花的;盖印的;v.压印(imprint的过去分词);刻上记号;盖印;
We're told what shape we're supposed to be in. 我们被教导我们应该是什么样子的?
(Laughter) (笑声)
We're told what to wear -- 我们被教导该怎样穿衣打扮?
(Laughter) (笑声)
- and how to do our hair -- 怎样做头型?
(Laughter) (笑声)
- and how to behave . 怎样做个女孩?
behave:v.表现;(机器等)运转;举止端正;(事物)起某种作用;
Now the rules that I'm talking about are constantly being monitored by the culture. 目前我要谈到的这些规则 随着文化不断地被监测。
constantly:adv.不断地;时常地;
We're being corrected, and the primary policemen are women, because we are the carriers of the tradition. 我们不断被纠正。 因为女性是传统的载体, 所以基层监视者就是女性。
We pass it down from generation to generation. 我们把这传统传递了一代又一代。
Not only that -- we always have this vague notion that something's expected of us. 我们不仅仅 常有这种模糊的 关于我们自身期待的概念。
only that:只是;要不是; vague:adj.模糊的;含糊的;不明确的;暧昧的; notion:n.观念;信念;理解;
And on top of all off these rules, they keep changing. 在这些所有规则之上, 它们还不断地改变。
(Laughter) (笑声)
We don't know what's going on half the time, so it puts us in a very tenuous position. 我们不知道长时间过后会发生什么, 它使得我们处在非常脆弱的地位上。
tenuous:adj.纤细的;稀薄的;贫乏的;
(Laughter) (笑声)
Now if you don't like these rules, and many of us don't -- 现在如果你不喜欢这些规则, 绝大多数人不喜欢这些规则,
I know I didn't, and I still don't, even though I follow them half the time, not quite aware that I'm following them -- what better way than to change them [than] with humor? 我知道我也不喜欢这些规则, 即使我遵从这些规则有好长时间, 也没有意识到我在遵从这些规则,-- 还有什么更好的能比用幽默的方法来改变这些规则呢?
Humor relies on the traditions of a society. 漫画依赖于社会的传统。
relies:信任;
It takes what we know, and it twists it. 漫画取材于我们所知的,然后混合加工。
twists:n.[力]扭曲,一扭(twist的复数形式);v.[力]扭曲,拧(twist的三单形式);
It takes the codes of behavior and the codes of dress, and it makes it unexpected , and that's what elicits a laugh. 漫画取材于我们的行为守则和我们着装喜好, 漫画是出人意料的创作, 它才会激发出笑声。
unexpected:adj.意外的,想不到的; elicits:引出;
Now what if you put together women and humor? 那么如果你把女性和漫画混合在一起又会是什么?
what if:如果…怎么办? put together:..放在一起;组合;装配;
I think you can get change. 我认为你会得到变革。
Because women are on the ground floor , and we know the traditions so well, we can bring a different voice to the table. 因为女性是在基层, 我们很了解传统, 我们可以带来不一样的声音。
ground floor:n.底层;
Now I started drawing in the middle of a lot of chaos . 当时我开始画画 正处于很多混乱中。
chaos:n.混沌,混乱;
I grew up not far from here in Washington D.C. 我在离华盛顿特区不远的地方长大
during the Civil Rights movement , the assassinations , the Watergate hearings and then the feminist movement, and I think I was drawing, trying to figure out what was going on. 经历了民权运动,一系列暗杀事件, 水门事件听证会,接下来的女权运动。 我认为我画画, 想要搞明白到底发生了什么。
Civil Rights movement:n.(美国)民权运动(20世纪50年代和60年代非裔美国人争取平等权利的运动); assassinations:n.暗杀;刺杀,行刺;(assassination的复数) Watergate:n.水门,水闸;水门事件; feminist:n.男女平等主义者;adj.主张男女平等的;
And then also my family was in chaos, and I drew to try to bring my family together -- 随后我的家庭也陷入了混乱。 我尝试画画来使我们家庭团结起来,
(Laughter) (笑声)
- try to bring my family together with laughter. 试着用漫画引发出的笑声让家庭团结在一起。
It didn't work. 但漫画不管用。
My parents got divorced, and my sister was arrested. 我父母离婚了,我妹妹被逮捕了。
But I found my place. 但我发现了我自己。
I found that I didn't have to wear high heels , 我发现我没有穿高跟鞋,
high heels:n.高跟鞋;
I didn't have to wear pink, and I could feel like I fit in. 我没有穿粉红套装, 我觉得我很合适。
Now when I was a little older, in my 20s, 当我20多岁时,
I realized there are not many women in cartooning . 我发现很少有女性从事漫画行业。
cartooning:v.卡通漫画制作;卡通(cartoon的ing形式);
And I thought, "Well, maybe I can break the little glass ceiling of cartooning," 我想,“好吧,或许我可以打破 漫画这小玻璃天花板的规则。”
glass ceiling:n.无形顶障(虽无明文规定却实际存在的对妇女等在职务升迁上的无形限制);
and so I did. I became a cartoonist. 我做到了;我成为了一个漫画家。
And then I thought -- in my 40s I started thinking, "Well, why don't I do something? 然后我想,在我40岁时我开始思考, “那么我为什么不做些事情?
I always loved political cartoons, so why don't I do something with the content of my cartoons to make people think about the stupid rules that we're following as well as laugh?" 我常常喜爱政治漫画, 那么我为什么不创作政治题材的漫画 让人们在思考我们所遵从的这些愚蠢的规则的 同时也开怀一笑?”
content:n.内容,目录;满足;容量;adj.满意的;vt.使满足; as well as:也;和…一样;不但…而且;
Now my perspective is a particularly -- 我的观点 是典型的--
perspective:n.观点;远景;透视图;adj.透视的; particularly:adv.特别地,独特地;详细地,具体地;明确地,细致地;
(Laughter) (笑声)
- my perspective is a particularly American perspective. 我的观点是典型的美国式观点。
I can't help it. I live here. 我改变不了。我生活在这儿。
Even though I've traveled a lot, 即使我常旅行,
I still think like an American woman. 我还是像一个美国女人那样去思考。
But I believe that the rules that I'm talking about are universal , of course -- that each culture has its different codes of behavior and dress and traditions, and each woman has to deal with these same things that we do here in the U.S. 但我认为我谈到的规则 是普遍性的,当然-- 每一种文化有其自身的行为守则 和衣着喜好,风俗习惯, 每个女人都得面对这同样的规则 如同我们在美国这儿面对的。
universal:adj.普遍的;全体的;全世界的;共同的;
Consequently , we have. 因此,我们
Consequently:adv.因此;结果;所以;
Women, because we're on the ground, we know the tradition. 女性,因为我们处在基层,我们了解风俗传统,
We have amazing antennae . 我们有着惊人的直觉感。
antennae:n.[电讯]天线(等于aerial);[昆]触须;[植]蕊喙;直觉;
Now my work lately has been to collaborate with international cartoonists , which I so enjoy, and it's given me a greater appreciation for the power of cartoons to get at the truth, to get at the issues quickly and succinctly . 目前我的工作是 与国际漫画家一同协作, 我喜欢这种经历。 它给了我一个更大提升空间 用漫画的力量 来揭示真相, 迅速和简洁地搞清问题。
collaborate:vi.合作;勾结,通敌; cartoonists:n.漫画家; appreciation:n.升值;欣赏;感谢;增值; issues:n.重要议题;争论的问题;v.宣布;公布;发出;(issue的第三人称单数和复数) succinctly:adv.简洁地;简便地;
And not only that, it can get to the viewer through not only the intellect , but through the heart. 不仅仅如此,漫画可以让观者感同身受, 不仅是在智力上,更是在心灵上的共鸣。
intellect:n.智力,理解力;知识分子;思维逻辑领悟力;智力高的人;
My work also has allowed me to collaborate with women cartoonists from across the world -- countries such as Saudi Arabia , 我的工作使我 和来自全球的女性漫画家们合作, 她们来自沙特阿拉伯,
Saudi:adj.沙乌地阿拉伯(人或语)的;n.沙乌地阿拉伯人; Arabia:n.阿拉伯半岛(亚洲西南部,等于ArabianPeninsula);
Iran, Turkey, 伊朗,土耳其,
Argentina , France -- and we have sat together and laughed and talked and shared our difficulties. 阿根廷,法国, 我们一同坐下来,开心地 谈论和分享我们所面临的困境。
Argentina:n.阿根廷(位于拉丁美洲);
And these women are working so hard to get their voices heard in some very difficult circumstances . 这些女性是在一些非常困难的情况下努力工作着, 让世界听到她们发自内心的声音。
circumstances:n.情况;环境;情形;(circumstance的复数)
But I feel blessed to be able to work with them. 我能和她们一同工作,为此我感到很幸运。
blessed:adj.神圣的; v.求上帝降福于; (bless的过去分词和过去式)
And we talk about how women have such strong perceptions , because of our tenuous position and our role as tradition-keepers, that we can have the great potential to be change-agents. 我们谈到 女性怎么会有如此强烈的看法? 因为我们女性自身的脆弱地位 和我们作为传统守护者的角色, 我们可以有极大的潜力 成为变革者。
perceptions:n.认知;观念(perception的复数);理解; potential:n.潜能;可能性;[电]电势;adj.潜在的;可能的;势的;
And I think, I truly believe, that we can change this thing one laugh at a time. 我认为,我真心相信, 每当我们变革这些事时, 我们都能开兴一笑。
Thank you. 谢谢。
(Applause) (掌声)