返回首页

LisaGodwin_2019S-_教师如何帮助学生渡过创伤_-

Everyone has a story, and that story is filled with chapters that have made us who we are today. 每个人都有一个故事, 这个故事有许多章节, 把我们塑造成今天的模样。
Those early chapters of that story sometimes are the ones that define us the most. 故事里最初的章节 有时是最能定义我们的篇章。
define:v.定义;使明确;规定;
The Center for Disease Control has estimated that over half of our nation's children have experienced at least one or two types of childhood trauma . 根据美国疾病控制与预防中心的估计, 国内有超过半数儿童 经历过至少一种或两种 童年创伤。
Disease:n.病,[医]疾病;弊病;vt.传染;使…有病; estimated:adj.估计的;预计的;估算的; childhood:n.童年;幼年;孩童时期 trauma:n.[外科]创伤(由心理创伤造成精神上的异常);外伤;
That adversity can have lasting effects. 这些早年的逆境 会造成长久的影响。
adversity:n.逆境;不幸;灾难;灾祸;
When I began to have opportunities to speak and advocate for students and for teachers, 当我开始有机会 为学生和教师发声倡议时,
advocate:v.拥护;支持;提倡;n.支持者;提倡者;辩护律师;出庭辩护人;
I found myself uniquely positioned to be able to speak about childhood trauma. 我发现自己处在了一个独特的 能够为童年创伤发声的位置。
uniquely:adv.独特地;珍奇地;
But I had to make a decision first. 但我必须先做出一个决定。
I had to decide, did I want to just share the bright and shiny parts of my life, you know, those ones that we put out on social media that make us all look perfect, or did I want to make myself vulnerable and become an open book ? 我必须决定, 我是只想分享我生活中 光鲜亮丽的部分吗, 就是那些我们晒在社交媒体上 让我们显得完美的部分; 还是想把自己变得脆弱, 变成一本打开的书?
shiny:adj.闪亮的;光亮的;反光的;有光泽的; media:n.媒体;媒质(medium的复数);血管中层;浊塞音;中脉; vulnerable:adj.易受攻击的,易受…的攻击;易受伤害的;有弱点的; an open book:众所周知的事;
The choice became very clear. 选择已经很清楚了。
In order to make a difference in the life of a child, 为了改变某个孩子的人生,
make a difference:有影响,有关系;
I had to become transparent . 我必须变得透明。
transparent:adj.透明的;显然的;坦率的;易懂的;
So I made the commitment to tell my personal story. 于是我立志讲述我个人的故事。
commitment:n.承诺;投入;保证;许诺; personal:adj.个人的;身体的;亲自的;n.人事消息栏;人称代名词;
And this story is filled with people that have loved me and taken care of me and grown me. 这个故事充满了 爱过我的、 照顾过我的、让我成长的人。
And have helped me overcome and heal . 他们帮助我克服困难,治愈伤痛。
overcome:vt.克服;胜过;vi.克服;得胜; heal:v.复原;治疗(病人);使又愉快起来;(使)结束
And now it's time for me to help others do the same. 而现在到了让我以同样方式 帮助他人的时候。
When I first started school, I was the picture of normalcy . 当我刚开始上学时, 我看上去和普通人一样。
normalcy:n.常态;
I was from a good family, 我出身良好,
I was always dressed nicely , had a smile on my face, 总是穿着得体, 脸上带着笑容,
nicely:adv.细致地;有吸引力;令人满意;令人愉快;adj.强健的;
I was prepared for school. 做好上学的准备。
But my life was anything but normal. 但我的人生和普通 完全沾不上边。
By this time, I had already become a victim of sexual abuse . 此时,我已经成为了 性虐待的受害者。
victim:n.受害人;牺牲品;牺牲者; sexual:adj.性的;性别的;有性的; abuse:n.滥用;虐待;辱骂;弊端;恶习,陋习;v.滥用;虐待;辱骂;
And it was still happening. 并且还在进行中。
My parents didn't know, and I had not told anyone else. 我父母并不知道, 我也没有告诉任何人。
When I started school, I felt like this was going to be my safe place. 当我开始上学时, 我觉得这会是我的庇护所。
So I was excited. 所以我很兴奋。
Imagine my dismay when I met my teacher, 想象一下,当我遇到我的老师,
dismay:n.沮丧,灰心;惊慌;vt.使沮丧;使惊慌;
Mr. Randolph. 兰道夫先生时感到的惊愕。
Now Mr. Randolph was not my abuser . 兰道夫先生不是性侵我的人。
abuser:n.滥用者;施虐者;
But Mr. Randolph was the epitome of everything that scared me the most in my life. 但兰道夫先生是 生活中最让我害怕 的一切的缩影。
epitome:n.缩影;摘要;象征;
I had already started these self-preservation techniques to where I took myself out of positions where I was going to be alone with a man. 我已经学会了一些自保手段, 让自己不会置身于 要和男人独处的情景。
self-preservation:n.自卫本能,自我保护;自我保存; techniques:n.技巧;技艺;工艺;技术;(technique的复数)
And here I was, as a student, 而现在,作为一名学生,
I was going to be in a classroom with a man every day, for a year of school. 我整个学年中的每一天 都得和一个男人在教室中共处。
I was scared; I didn't trust him. 我很害怕;我并不信任他。
But you know what, 但你猜怎么着,
Mr. Randolph would turn out to be my greatest advocate. 兰道夫先生之后会成为 我最有力的支持者。
But in the beginning, oh, I made sure he knew I did not like him. 但一开始, 我保证他清楚 我不喜欢他。
I was noncompliant; 我不听话;
I was that kid that was disengaged . 我是那个脱离集体的小孩。
disengaged:adj.空闲的;自由的;已脱离的;v.脱离(disengage的过去分词);
And I also made it really hard on my parents, too. 另外我给父母也造成了巨大麻烦。
I didn't want to go to school, so I fought them every morning, getting on the bus. 我不想上学, 所以我每天早上都和他们闹, 不想上校车。
At night, I couldn't sleep, because my anxiety was so high. 晚上,我睡不着觉, 因为我太焦虑了。
anxiety:n.焦虑;渴望;挂念;令人焦虑的事;
So I was going into class exhausted . 于是我上课时非常疲惫。
exhausted:adj.筋疲力尽的; v.使筋疲力尽; (exhaust的过去分词和过去式)
Which, exhausted children are cranky children, and they're not easy to teach, you know that. 疲惫的小孩会很暴躁, 也很难教, 你们都懂的。
cranky:adj.暴躁的;古怪的;动摇的;
Mr. Randolph could have approached me with frustration , like so many teachers do with students like me. 兰道夫先生可以选择 恼怒地训斥我, 就像很多老师 对待我这种学生那样。
approached:v.走近;临近;探讨;建议;(approach的过去分词和过去式) frustration:n.挫折;
But not him. 但他没有这么做。
He approached me with empathy and with flexibility . 他对我表现出了 同理心和灵活性。
empathy:n.神入;移情作用;执着; flexibility:n.灵活性;弹性;适应性;
I was so grateful for that. 我对此无比感激。
He saw this six-year-old was tired and weary . 他看到这个又累又倦的六岁小孩。
weary:adj.疲倦的;厌烦的;令人厌烦的;v.疲倦;厌烦;使厌烦;
And so instead of making me go outside for recess , he would let me stay in and take naps , because he knew I needed rest. 于是他没有强迫我 在课间时去外面, 而是让我待在教室里小睡, 因为他知道我需要休息。
recess:n.休会;休庭;壁橱;隐蔽处;v.休会;暂停;把…放进壁橱;将…嵌入墙壁; naps:n.打盹;短绒毛;赛马情报;v.打盹;(nap的第三人称单数)
Instead of sitting at the teacher table at lunch, he would come and sit with the students at the student table. 午餐时他没有坐在教师席, 而是会过来和学生们一起 坐在学生席上吃饭。
He would engage me and all my classmates in conversation. 他会鼓励我和我所有的同学一起聊天。
And I now look back and I know he had a purpose for that, he was listening, he was asking questions. 现在再回首,我知道 他当时是特意那么做的, 他在聆听,在询问。
He needed to find out what was going on. 他想要知道发生了什么事。
He built a relationship with me. 他和我建立起了关系。
He earned my trust. 他赢得了我的信任。
And slowly but surely, those walls that I had built around myself he started chipping away at, and I eventually realized he was one of the good guys. 于是慢慢地但也不容置疑地, 他开始一点点剥开 我在自己身边筑起的高墙, 最终我也意识到了 他是那些好人中的一员。
chipping:n.破片;碎屑; eventually:adv.最后,终于;
I know that he felt like he wasn't enough. 我知道他觉得自己做得不够。
Because he made the move to talk to my mom. 因为他下一步是和我妈妈谈话。
And got my mom's permission to let me start seeing a school guidance counselor , 并且得到了我妈妈的许可, 让我开始去见一位 学校的辅导咨询师,
counselor:n.顾问;法律顾问;参事(等于counsellor);
Ms. McFadyen. 麦克法登女士。
I started seeing Ms. McFadyen once or twice a week for the next two years. 接下来的两年里, 我开始每周和麦克法登女士 见面一到两次。
It was a process . 这是个过程。
process:v.处理;加工;列队行进;n.过程,进行;方法,adj.经过特殊加工(或处理)的;
During that time period, 在那段时间里,
I never disclosed to her the abuse, because it was a secret; 我从没有跟她透露 我受到的侵害, 因为那是个秘密;
disclosed:v.揭露;泄露;使显露;使暴露;(disclose的过去式和过去分词)
I wasn't supposed to tell. 我不应该告诉任何人。
supposed:adj.误信的;所谓的;v.认为;假设;设想;(suppose的过去分词和过去式)
But she connected the dots, I know she did, because everything that she did with me was to empower me and help me find my voice. 但她推理出了真相, 我知道的, 因为她与我做的一切 都是为了给我力量, 帮我找到自己的声音。
empower:vt.授权,允许;使能够;
She taught me how to use mental images to push through my fears. 她教我如何使用精神图景 克服我的恐惧。
mental:adj.精神的;脑力的;疯的;n.精神病患者; images:n.印象;声誉;形象;画像;雕像;(image的第三人称单数和复数) push through:完成;挤著穿过;
She taught me breathing techniques to help me get through those anxiety attacks that I would have so often. 她教给我呼吸技巧, 帮助我度过那些频频发生 的焦虑发作。
And she role-played with me. 她还和我进行角色扮演。
role-played:n.角色扮演;
And she made sure that I could stand up for myself in situations. 她确保我能 在各种情况下捍卫我自己。
stand up for:支持,坚持;拥护;
And the day came where I was in the room with my abuser and one other adult. 终于有一天, 我和我的加害者 以及另一个成年人共处一室。
And I told my truth. 我说出了真相。
I told about the abuse. 我说出了被虐待的事情。
Immediately, my abuser began to deny , and the person I disclosed to, they just weren't equipped to handle the bombshell that I had just dropped on them. 侵犯我的人立刻开始否认, 而我诉说真相的那个人 也实在不具备应对 我刚刚砸下的惊天炸弹 的能力。
deny:v.否定,否认;拒绝给予;拒绝…的要求; handle:n.[建]把手;柄;手感;口实;v.处理;操作;运用;买卖;触摸; bombshell:n.炸弹;突发事件;引起震惊的人或事;
It was easier to believe the abuser rather than a child. 比起相信一个小孩,
So I was told never to speak of it again. 所以他告诫我 再也不要提起这档事。
I was made to feel like I had done something wrong, again. 他再次让我觉得我做错了事。
It was devastating . 这让我深感挫败。
devastating:adj.毁灭性的; v.毁灭; (devastate的现在分词)
But you know what, something good came out of that day. 但你们知道吗, 那一天还是有好结果的。
My abuser knew that I was no longer going to be silent. 我的加害者知道了 我不会继续保持沉默。
The power shifted . 权势的平衡发生了改变。
shifted:转移;移动(shift的过去式和过去分词);
And the abuse stopped. 对我的侵犯也停止了。
(Applause) (掌声)
But the shame and fear of it happening again remained. 但受侵犯的耻辱, 以及担心其再度发生的恐惧 没有消失。
And it would remain with me for many, many years to come. 并且在未来的很多很多年 都常跟在我身边。
Mr. Randolph and Ms. McFadyen, they helped me find my voice. 兰道夫先生和麦克法登女士 帮助我找到了自己的声音。
They helped me find the light out. 他们为我照亮了前进的路。
But you know what, there are so many kids that aren't as fortunate as me. 但你们知道吗, 还有很多孩子没有我那么幸运。
fortunate:adj.幸运的;交好运的;吉利的;
And you have them in your classrooms. 他们就在你的教室里。
That is why it's so important for me to talk to you today, so you can be aware and you can start asking the questions that need to be asked and paying attention to these students, so you too can help them find their way. 这也是为什么今天我能 和你们谈话很重要, 这样各位就能觉察, 开始问那些必须提出的问题, 并对这些学生多加留意, 这样你们也可以帮助他们 找到前进的道路。
As a kindergarten teacher, 作为一名幼儿园老师,
kindergarten:n.幼儿园;
I start my year off with my kids making box biographies . 我在学年开始时 教孩子们制作 “简历盒子”。
biographies:n.列传,传记(biographie的复数形式);
These are two of my students. 这是我的两名学生。
And I encourage them to fill those boxes with things that tell me about them and about their life, what's important to you, you know? 我鼓励他们 在盒子里装满 关于他们自己、 关于他们生活的东西, 他们觉得重要的东西。
They decorate them, 他们装饰好盒子,
decorate:v.装饰;装点;装潢;点缀;
I mean, they really take time, they fill them with pictures of their families and of their pets, and then I let them present them to me and to the class. 我的意思是,他们真的花了心思, 在盒子里装满了 家人和宠物的照片, 然后我让他们给我 和全班展示盒子。
And during that time, I am an active listener. 在展示过程中, 我积极地聆听着。
Because the things they say, the facial expressions that they give me, the things they don't say can become red flags for me and can help me figure out what their needs are. 因为他们说的话, 他们给我的表情, 他们没有说出口的话, 可以为我敲响警钟, 帮助我发现他们的需求。
facial:adj.面部的,表面的;脸的,面部用的;n.美容,美颜;脸部按摩; expressions:表达,表情(expression的复数)
What is driving them to maybe have the behaviors that they're showing me in class. 是什么驱使他们 在课上表现出某些举动?
How can I be a better teacher by listening to their voices? 我怎样才能通过倾听他们的声音 成为一名更好的老师?
I also make times to develop relationships with them, much like Mr. Randolph did with me. 我还花时间同他们建立关系, 就像兰道夫先生和我那样,
I sit with them at lunch, 我和他们坐在一起吃午饭,
I have conversations with them at recess, 我在课间和他们聊天,
I go to their games on the weekends, 我在周末出席他们的比赛,
I go to their dance recitals . 我去他们的舞蹈排练,
recitals:n.朗诵,吟诵;独奏会;背诵;独唱会;
I become a part of their life. 我成为了他们生活的一部分。
Because in order to really know a student, you've got to infuse yourself into their lives. 因为要想真正了解一个学生, 你必须让自己融入他们的生活。
infuse:v.使具有,注入(某特性);全面影响;泡制(草药等);
Now I know some of you are middle school teachers and high school teachers, and you might think that those kids have already kind of developed, and you know, they're on autopilot at that point. 我知道各位有些是初中老师 或者高中老师, 你们可能觉得那些孩子 已经发展成型了, 在这个时点他们已经 开启了自动驾驶模式。
middle school:n.初中;(英国为9到13岁儿童所设的)中间学校; autopilot:n.[航]自动驾驶仪(等于automaticpilot);
But don't be deceived . 但不要上当。
deceived:v.蒙骗;欺骗(自己);使人误信;误导;(deceive的过去分词和过去式)
Especially the kids that you think have it all together, because those are the ones that might need you the most. 尤其是那些你以为 心智成熟的孩子, 他们可能才是最需要你的人。
Especially:adv.尤其;特别;格外;十分;
If you were to look at my yearbook , you would see me on about every page, because I was involved in everything. 如果你看了我的班级年鉴, 你会发现几乎每页都有我的身影, 因为我参与了所有事情。
yearbook:n.年鉴;年刊;(每年出版的)校刊;学校年刊; involved:adj.有关的; v.涉及; (involve的过去式和过去分词)
I even drove a school bus. 我甚至还开过校车。
(Laughs) (笑声)
So I was that kid that teachers thought was the overachiever , the popular person, the one that had it together. 我还是孩子时, 老师们以为我成绩斐然、 深受欢迎、 心智成熟。
overachiever:n.成绩超过预料的学生;成就比预期更大的人;
But guys, I was lost. 可我其实很迷茫,
I was lost, and I wanted someone to ask me, "Lisa, why are you here all the time, why are you throwing yourself into all these things?" 我很不知所措, 我想要有人问我, “莉莎,为什么你一直待在这里? 为什么你要一头扎入 这么多事情?”
Did they ever wonder, was I running away from someone, was I running away from something? 他们是否曾疑惑, 我是否在逃离某个人, 我是否在逃离什么东西?
Why did I not want to be in my community or in my home? 为什么我不想待在自己社区 或者自己家里?
community:n.社区;[生态]群落;共同体;团体;
Why did I want to be at school all the time? 为什么我想一直待在学校?
No one ever asked. 不曾有人问过。
Now don't get me wrong, all overachievers in your schools are not victims of abuse or trauma. 请各位不要误解, 并不是说你学校里 所有成绩突出的学生
overachievers:n.成就超出预料的成功者;成绩超过预料的学生(overachiever的复数);
But I just want you to take the time to be curious . 但我只是想让大家 花点时间去好奇。
curious:adj.好奇的,有求知欲的;古怪的;爱挑剔的;
Ask them why. 问问他们为什么。
You may find out that there is a reason behind it. 你可能会发现其背后有原因。
You could be the reason that they move forward with their story. 你可能会成为他们的故事 继续前进的理由。
Be careful not to assume that you already know the ending to their story. 要小心不要臆断 你已经知道了他们故事的结局。
assume:v.承担;假定;采取;呈现;
Don't put a period where a semicolon should be. 在原应是分号的地方, 不要打上句号。
semicolon:n.分号;
Keep that story going and help them know that even if something has happened traumatic to them, that their life is still worth telling. 让那个故事继续, 并帮助他们知道, 即使他们遭受过创伤, 他们的人生仍然值得讲述。
traumatic:adj.外伤的;创伤的;n.外伤药;
Their story is worth telling. 他们的故事值得述说。
Now in order to do that, 那么为了做到这点,
I really feel like we have to embrace our own personal stories as educators. 我真的觉得作为教育工作者, 我们应当拥抱自己的个人故事。
embrace:n.拥抱,怀抱;v.拥抱;乐意采纳(思想、建议等);信奉;包括;
Many of you might be sitting there and thinking, "Yeah. 你们可能有很多人 正坐在那里 心想,“没错。
That happened to me. 我经历了那种事。
But I'm not ready to share." 但我没做好分享的准备。”
And that's OK. 这并没有问题。
The time will come when you will feel it inside your soul that it's time to turn your past pain into purpose for the future. 终有一天, 你的灵魂深处会觉得 是时候把自己过去的苦痛 化作未来的意义。
These children are our future. 这些孩子们就是我们的未来。
I just encourage you to take it day by day . 我只想鼓励你们 一天一天慢慢来。
day by day:adj.每天的;
Talk to someone. 找个人聊天。
Be willing and just open. 变得愿意分享,变得坦率。
My life story came full circle in the spring of 2018, where I was invited to speak to a group of beginning teachers and mentors . 我人生的故事在 2018 年春天 画出了一个完整的圆。 当时我应邀 对一群新人老师 和导员发表讲话。
life story:n.生平事迹; mentors:n.导师,教练(mentor复数);
I shared my story, much like today with you, and afterwards I had a lady approach me. 就像今天这样, 我分享了我的故事, 之后一位女士走过来,
She had tears in her eyes and she quietly said, "Thank you. 她眼含热泪, 轻轻地说,“谢谢。
Thank you for sharing. 谢谢你分享的故事。
I cannot wait to tell my dad everything that I heard today." 我等不及告诉爸爸 我今天听到的一切。”
I cannot wait to:我等不及了…;
She must have seen the perplexed look on my face, because she followed up by saying, "Mr. Randolph is my dad." 她或许看到了我脸上的不解, 因为她补充说道, “兰道夫先生就是我的爸爸。”
perplexed:adj.困惑的;不知所措的;
Audience: Aww. 观众:哇……
Lisa Godwin: "And he often wonders: 莉莎·戈德温:“他常常会发问:
Did he make a difference? 他有没有帮助他人改变呢?
Today, I get to go home and tell him, 'You definitely made a difference.'" 今天,我可以回家告诉他, ‘您确确实实改变了 他人的人生’。”
definitely:adv.清楚地,当然;明确地,肯定地;
What a gift. 何等的馈赠。
What a gift. 何等的恩赐。
And that prompted me to reach out to Ms. McFadyen's daughter as well, and to share with her what an impact Ms. McFadyen had made. 而这件事也促使我 联系上了麦克法登女士的女儿, 并同她分享 麦克法登女士曾对我有何等影响。
prompted:v.促使;导致;提示;给(演员)提词;(prompt的过去分词和过去式) impact:n.影响;效果;碰撞;冲击力;v.挤入,压紧;撞击;对…产生影响;
And I wanted her to know 我也想让她知道,
I have advocated for more funding for guidance counselors , for school social workers, for psychologists , for nurses, because they are so vital to the mental and physical health of our children. 我已经倡议为 辅导咨询师、 学校社会工作者、 心理学家、护士 提供更多资金, 因为他们对孩子们 的心理与生理健康 至关重要。
advocated:vt.提倡,主张,拥护;n.提倡者;支持者;律师; funding:n.基金;资金;提供资金;v.为…提供资金;拨款给;(fund的现在分词) counselors:n.辅导员;顾问(counselor的复数形式); psychologists:n.[心理]心理学家(psychologist的复数形式); vital:adj.至关重要的;生死攸关的;有活力的; physical:adj.[物]物理的;身体的;物质的;符合自然法则的;n.体格检查;
I'm thankful for Ms. McFadyen. 我对麦克法登女士感激于心。
(Applause) (掌声)
I once heard someone say, in order to find your way out of the darkness, you have to find the light. 我曾听人说过, 为了找到离开黑暗的道路, 你必须找到光亮。
Today, I hope that you leave this place and you seek opportunities to be the light. 今天,我希望各位在离开后, 能寻找成为光亮的机会。
seek:v.寻求;寻找;谋求;
For not only students but for adults in your classrooms, in your schools, in your communities . 不仅为了学生, 也为了你的教室里、 学校里、社区里的成年人。
communities:n.社区;社会;团体;共有(community的复数)
You have the gift to help someone navigate through their trauma and make their story worth telling. 你的禀赋 可以帮助他人 跨越痛苦与创伤, 让他们的故事值得讲述。
navigate:vt.驾驶,操纵;使通过;航行于;vi.航行,航空;
Thank you. 谢谢各位。
(Applause) (掌声)