|
|
LinusTorvalds_2016-_linux_操作系统之父_
|
Chris Anderson: This is such a strange thing. |
克里斯?安德森:有件事情很奇怪。 |
Your software, Linux , is in millions of computers, it probably powers much of the Internet. |
你的软件,Linux,运行于数百万计算机中, 可以说是它驱动了网络。 |
Linux:n.Linux操作系统(一种类似于UNIX的计算机操作系统);
|
And I think that there are, like, a billion and a half active Android devices out there. |
我想,全世界正在使用 将近15亿台的安卓设备。 |
Android:n.机器人;安卓操作系统; devices:n.[机][计]设备;[机]装置;[电子]器件(device的复数);
|
Your software is in every single one of them. |
每一台里都有你的软件。 |
It's kind of amazing. |
这非常了不起。 |
You must have some amazing software headquarters driving all this. |
你肯定有一个特别高大上的总部来实现这一切。 |
headquarters:n.总部;指挥部;司令部;
|
That's what I thought -- and I was shocked when I saw a picture of it. |
我以前真这么想——直到我看到这张照片,我被震惊了。 |
I mean, this is -- this is the Linux world headquarters. |
真的惊了—— 这就是Linux的总部。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
Linus Torvalds: It really doesn't look like much. |
林纳斯?托瓦兹:好吧,让大家失望了。 |
Linus:n.莱纳斯;
|
And I have to say, the most interesting part in this picture, that people mostly react to, is the walking desk. |
我不得不说, 这张照片里最有意思的地方, 被最多人问起的地方, 就是那张会动的办公桌。 |
react:v.起反应;回应;(对食物等)有不良反应,过敏;起化学反应;
|
It is the most interesting part in my office and I'm not actually using it anymore. |
这是我办公室最有趣的部分 虽然我现在不怎么用它了。 |
And I think the two things are related. |
我觉得两者是有联系的。 |
The way I work is ... |
我的工作方式…… |
I want to not have external stimulation . |
我不想要有太多的外来刺激。 |
external:n.外部;外观;形式;外部情况;adj.外部的;外面的;外界的;外来的; stimulation:n.刺激;激励,鼓舞;
|
You can kind of see, on the walls are this light green. |
大家能看到,我的墙是淡绿色的。 |
I'm told that at mental institutions they use that on the walls. |
据说精神病医院的墙就是这种颜色。 |
mental:adj.精神的;脑力的;疯的;n.精神病患者; institutions:n.机构;慈善机构;风俗习惯,制度;(institution的复数)
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
It's like a calming color, it's not something that really stimulates you. |
这种颜色能让你平静, 不会刺激到你。 |
stimulates:vt.刺激;鼓舞,激励;vi.起刺激作用;起促进作用;
|
What you can't see is the computer here, you only see the screen, but the main thing I worry about in my computer is -- it doesn't have to be big and powerful, although I like that -- it really has to be completely silent. |
其实大家看不到我的电脑(主机),只能看到显示器, 我对电脑最主要的要求—— 并不是性能强劲,尽管我也爱—— 就是它必须没有任何声音。 |
I know people who work for Google and they have their own small data center at home, and I don't do that. |
我认识一些在谷歌工作的人, 他们在家里都有小型数据中心, 我可没这习惯。 |
Google:谷歌;谷歌搜索引擎;
|
My office is the most boring office you'll ever see. |
我的办公室也许是你见过最无聊的一个。 |
boring:adj.无聊的;令人厌烦的;n.钻孔;v.使厌烦;钻孔;(bore的现在分词)
|
And I sit there alone in the quiet. |
我喜欢独自一人,享受安静。 |
If the cat comes up, it sits in my lap. |
如果有猫进来, 它会坐在我大腿上。 |
And I want to hear the cat purring , not the sound of the fans in the computer. |
我喜欢听猫打呼噜, 而不是听特烦的电脑风扇的声音。 |
purring:v.发出呼噜声;轰隆作响;低沉柔和地讲话;(purr的现在分词)
|
CA: So this is astonishing , because working this way, you're able to run this vast technology empire -- it is an empire -- so that's an amazing testament to the power of open source . |
CA:太了不起了, 你的这种工作方式, 才能让你运行如此庞大的一个技术帝国—— 确实是一个帝国—— 这是开源(软件)强大力量的一个最好例证。 |
astonishing:adj.令人十分惊讶的;v.使十分惊讶;使吃惊;(astonish的现在分词) technology:n.技术;工艺;术语; testament:n.[法]遗嘱;圣约;确实的证明; source:n.来源;水源;原始资料;
|
Tell us how you got to understand open source and how it lead to the development of Linux. |
请告诉我们你是如何理解开源的, 和它又是如何一步一步发展成Linux的。 |
LT: I mean, I still work alone. |
LT:我现在还是独自工作。 |
Really -- I work alone in my house, often in my bathrobe . |
真的,我独自一人在家工作, 经常穿着浴袍干活。 |
bathrobe:n.浴衣;睡衣;
|
When a photographer shows up, I dress up, so I have clothes on. |
当一个摄影师来的时候,我才会穿戴整齐, 所以(这张照片里)我是穿着衣服的。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
And that's how I've always worked. |
我一直以来就是这样工作的。 |
I mean, this was how I started Linux, too. |
Linux也是这样诞生的。 |
I did not start Linux as a collaborative project. |
Linux并不是一个合作的产物。 |
collaborative:adj.合作的,协作的;
|
I started it as one in a series of many projects |
它是我一系列项目中的一个, |
series:n.系列,连续;[电]串联;级数;丛书;
|
I had done at the time for myself, partly because I needed the end result , but even more because I just enjoyed programming. |
纯粹出于自己当时的需要, 部分原因是我需要得到结果, 但更重要的原因是我享受编程。 |
end result:n.最终结果;
|
So it was about the end of the journey , which, 25 years later, we still have not reached. |
这段旅程的终点, 在25年后的今天,我们仍未达到。 |
journey:n.旅行;行程;vi.旅行;
|
But it was really about the fact that I was looking for a project on my own and there was no open source, really, on my radar at all. |
当年我只是想做一个完全属于自己的项目, 我压根就没想过开源这件事。 |
radar:n.雷达;
|
And what happened is ... |
但在那之后, |
the project grows and becomes something you want to show off to people. |
随着项目越来越大,你会开始想让别人知道。 |
Really, this is more of a, "Wow, look at what I did!" |
感觉就像“哇,快来看看我的成果!” |
And trust me -- it was not that great back then. |
但说实话,最开始并没这么好。 |
I made it publicly available, and it wasn't even open source at that point. |
我把它放到网上供人下载, 当时甚至还不是开源的。 |
At that point it was source that was open, but there was no intention behind using the kind of open-source methodology that we think of today to improve it. |
当然,所有代码都是开放的,但我并没有想过 要用我们今天所熟知的开源方法 来改进它。 |
intention:n.意图;目的;意向;愈合; open-source:adj.(计算机)开放源代码; methodology:n.方法学,方法论; improve:v.改进;改善;
|
It was more like, "Look, I've been working on this for half a year, |
我当时想的是, “看,这是我折腾了半年的成果, |
I'd love to have comments." |
我想听听大家的意见。” |
And other people approached me. |
有人来找过我。 |
approached:v.走近;临近;探讨;建议;(approach的过去分词和过去式)
|
At the University of Helsinki, |
在赫尔辛基大学, |
I had a friend who was one of the open source -- it was called mainly "free software" back then -- and he actually introduced me to the notion that, hey, you can use these open-source licenses that had been around. |
我有个朋友是做开源软件的—— 当年还叫“免费软件”—— 他让我了解到,“嘿, 你可以用那些已有的开源许可证。” |
mainly:adv.大多;大部分;主要地;首要地; notion:n.观念;信念;理解; licenses:n.许可(license的复数);授权;v.允许(license的三单形式);
|
And I thought about it for a while . |
我考虑了一段时间。 |
for a while:adv.片刻;暂时;一会儿;一时;
|
I was actually worried about the whole commercial interests coming in. |
我其实有点担心商业利益牵涉其中。 |
commercial:adj.贸易的;商业的;赢利的;以获利为目的的;n.(电台或电视播放的)广告;
|
I mean, that's one of the worries I think most people who start out have, is that they worry about somebody taking advantage of their work, right? |
我想,很多人一开始会跟我一样, 担心自己的工作成果会被人利用,不是吗? |
advantage:n.有利条件:优势:优点:
|
And I decided, "What the hell?" |
于是我决定,“不管了。” |
And -- |
然后…… |
CA: And then at some point, someone contributed some code that you thought, "Wow, that really is interesting, I would not have thought of that. |
CA:然后某一天, 一些人对你的代码提出了些建议,你觉得 “哇哦,真是不错,我都没想到这一点。 |
contributed:v.捐献,捐赠(尤指款或物); (contribute的过去式和过去分词)
|
This could actually improve this." |
对改进软件很有帮助。” |
LT: It didn't even start by people contributing code, it was more that people started contributing ideas. |
LT:其实最开始没有多少人直接改代码, 而是提出了很多想法。 |
contributing:v.捐献,捐赠(尤指款或物);捐助;增加;增进;(contribute的现在分词)
|
And just the fact that somebody else takes a look at your project -- and I'm sure it's true of other things, too, but it's definitely true in code -- is that somebody else takes an interest in your code, looks at it enough to actually give you feedback and give you ideas. |
让别人看一下你所做的项目—— 我想在其他行业也是这样—— 但在编程的时候就更是如此—— 有人对你的代码感兴趣, 仔细研究过,能给你反馈, 给你建议。 |
definitely:adv.清楚地,当然;明确地,肯定地; feedback:n.反馈;反馈意见;回授;[电子]反馈;
|
That was a huge thing for me. |
对我而言是非常重要的一件事。 |
I was 21 at the time, so I was young, but I had already programmed for half my life, basically . |
当时我21岁,还很年轻, 但在那之前,我人生的一半时间都在敲代码。 |
basically:adv.主要地,基本上;
|
And every project before that had been completely personal and it was a revelation when people just started commenting, started giving feedback on your code. |
之前的每一个项目,我都是独自完成的, 有人开始评论我的代码, 给予反馈,真是头一遭。 |
personal:adj.个人的;身体的;亲自的;n.人事消息栏;人称代名词; revelation:n.披露; adj.暴露的;
|
And even before they started giving code back, that was, I think, one of the big moments where I said, "I love other people!" |
他们甚至还没开始改代码, 但对我来讲已经足以载入史册,因为我觉得, “我爱世人!” |
Don't get me wrong -- |
别误会我, |
I'm actually not a people person . |
其实我并不合群。 |
people person:有人缘的人;善于与人打交道的人;受欢迎的人;
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
I don't really love other people -- |
我并不爱世人。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
But I love computers, |
我爱电脑, |
I love interacting with other people on email, because it kind of gives you that buffer . |
我喜欢通过发邮件互动, 因为这样能给你缓冲。 |
interacting:v.交流;沟通;合作;相互影响;(interact的现在分词) buffer:n.[计]缓冲区;缓冲器,[车辆]减震器;vt.缓冲;
|
But I do love other people who comment and get involved in my project. |
但我真正喜欢的是人们给出评论,参与我的项目。 |
involved:adj.有关的; v.涉及; (involve的过去式和过去分词)
|
And it made it so much more. |
这样能让我的项目快速成长。 |
CA: So was there a moment when you saw what was being built and it suddenly started taking off, and you thought, "Wait a sec, this actually could be something huge, |
CA:有没有那样一个时间点,你发现自己一直在做的项目 突然开始成型了, 你对自己说,“等一下,这事儿也许能做成, |
not just a personal project that I'm getting nice feedback on, but a kind of explosive development in the whole technology world"? |
不单单是一个我能得到良好反馈的个人项目, 而是能在整个科技界掀起轩然大波的大事”? |
explosive:n.炸药;爆炸物;adj.易爆炸的;可能引起爆炸的;易爆发的;可能引起冲动的;
|
LT: Not really. |
LT:还真没有。 |
I mean, the big point for me, really, was not when it was becoming huge, it was when it was becoming little. |
对我而言,最重要的时刻并不是它变大的那一天, 恰恰是在它还不够大的时候。 |
The big point for me was not being alone and having 10, maybe 100 people being involved -- that was a big point. |
对我而言,当我不再独自工作, 有10个人,或者100个人加入进来—— 这才是一种突破。 |
Then everything else was very gradual . |
之后事情就顺其自然了。 |
gradual:adj.逐渐的;平缓的;n.弥撒升阶圣歌集;
|
Going from 100 people to a million people is not a big deal -- to me. |
对我来说,从100人到100万人,并不是那么重要。 |
a big deal:na.要人;重要的事;
|
Well, I mean, maybe it is if you're -- |
其实我的意思是,如果你…… |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
If you want to sell your result then it's a huge deal -- don't get me wrong. |
如果你是想把自己的成果卖掉,那确实就很重要—— 别误解我的意思。 |
But if you're interested in the technology and you're interested in the project, the big part was getting the community . |
如果你感兴趣的是科技本身, 是这个项目本身, 那么最重要的就是找到志趣相投的人。 |
community:n.社区;[生态]群落;共同体;团体;
|
Then the community grew gradually . |
之后这个群体会自发壮大。 |
gradually:adv.渐渐地;逐步地;
|
And there's actually not a single point where I went like, "Wow, that just took off!" because it -- |
并没有一个特别明显的时间点,我会觉得 “哇哦,这事儿快成了!”因为—— |
I mean -- it took a long time, relatively . |
这个时间非常漫长。 |
relatively:adv.相当程度上;相当地;相对地;
|
CA: So all the technologists that I talk to really credit you with massively changing their work. |
CA:所有我采访的技术专家们都对你赞不绝口, 说你极大改进了他们的工作。 |
technologists:n.技术人员(technologist的复数);[劳经]技术专家; massively:adv.大量地;沉重地;庄严地;
|
And it's not just Linux, it's this thing called Git, which is this management system for software development. |
不光是Linux, 还有Git, 是一种软件开发管理系统。 |
management:n.管理;管理人员;管理部门;操纵;经营手段;
|
Tell us briefly about that and your role in that. |
简单介绍一下它以及你在其中扮演的角色。 |
briefly:adv.简要地;简短地;暂时地;
|
LT: So one of the issues we had, and this took a while to start to appear, is when you ... |
LT:我们遇到的问题之一, (在项目开始后)一段时间后才开始显现, 就是当你…… |
issues:n.重要议题;争论的问题;v.宣布;公布;发出;(issue的第三人称单数和复数)
|
When you grow from having 10 people or 100 people working on a project to having 10,000 people, which -- |
从10个或者100个人参与一个项目, 增长到1万人的时候,而这—— |
I mean, right now we're in the situation where just on the kernel , we have 1,000 people involved in every single release and that's every two months, roughly two or three months. |
关于(Linux)内核,我们碰到的问题是, 每次更新都有1000人参与, 而更新频率是每两、三个月一次。 |
kernel:n.核心,要点;[计]内核;仁;麦粒,谷粒;精髓; release:v.释放;发射;让与;允许发表;n.释放;发布;让与; roughly:adv.粗糙地;概略地;
|
Some of those people don't do a lot. |
这其中有些人作用不大。 |
There's a lot of people who make small, small changes. |
有很多人能做出小小的改进。 |
But to maintain this, the scale changes how you have to maintain it. |
但要进行维护, 所需要的工作量就会大大增加。 |
maintain:v.维持;保持;维修;保养;坚持(意见); scale:n.规模;比例;鳞;刻度;天平;数值范围;v.衡量;攀登;剥落;生水垢;
|
And we went through a lot of pain. |
我们吃尽了苦头。 |
And there are whole projects that do only source-code maintenance . |
有时候甚至整个程序都仅仅是为了对源代码进行维护。 |
maintenance:n.维护,维修;保持;生活费用;
|
CVS is the one that used to be the most commonly used, and I hated CVS with a passion and refused to touch it and tried something else that was radical and interesting and everybody else hated. |
CVS曾经是最流行的, 我恨透了它,连碰都不想碰, 我喜欢更基础、更有趣的方法, 但其他人又不喜欢。 |
passion:n.激情;热情;酷爱;盛怒; radical:n.自由基;激进分子;游离基;adj.根本的;彻底的;完全的;全新的;
|
CA: (Laughs) |
CA:(笑声) |
LT: And we were in this bad spot, where we had thousands of people who wanted to participate , but in many ways, I was the kind of break point , where I could not scale to the point where I could work with thousands of people. |
LT:我们陷入了僵局, 成千上万的人想参与进来, 但很多时候,我成为了那个断点, 我无法让自己跨出那一步, 同上千人合作。 |
participate:v.参加;参与; break point:n.中断点;破发点;破对方发球局的末点;
|
So Git is my second big project, which was only created for me to maintain my first big project. |
因此Git是我的第二个大项目, 它存在的意义就是维护我的第一个大项目。 |
And this is literally how I work. |
事实上这就是我的工作方式。 |
literally:adv.按字面:字面上:确实地:
|
I don't code for -- well, I do code for fun -- but I want to code for something meaningful so every single project I've ever done has been something I needed and -- |
我编程并不是为了…… 我编程是因为好玩, 但我也想做一些有意义的事情, 因此我设计每一个程序仅仅是因为我自己需要 而且…… |
meaningful:adj.严肃的;重要的;重大的;意味深长的;
|
CA: So really, both Linux and Git kind of arose almost as an unintended consequence of your desire not to have to work with too many people. |
CA:因此,实际上,Linux和Git的出现, 都是意外的收获, 仅仅因为你不想跟太多人一起工作。 |
arose:vi.出现(arise的过去式);引发; unintended:adj.无意识的;非计划中的; consequence:n.结果;重要性;推论;
|
LT: Absolutely . Yes. |
LT:千真万确。没错。 |
Absolutely:adv.绝对地;完全地;
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
CA: That's amazing. LT: Yeah. |
CA:太牛了。LT:可不是吗。 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
And yet, you're the man who's transformed technology not just once but twice, and we have to try and understand why it is. |
你带来了技术革新, 不是一次,而是两次, 我们试图去探寻背后的原因。 |
transformed:v.使改变形态;使改变外观(或性质);(transform的过去分词和过去式)
|
You've given us some clues , but ... |
你给了我们一些线索,但是…… |
clues:n.(调查,研究等的)线索;迹象;(故事的)关键情节;(clue的复数)
|
Here's a picture of you as a kid, with a Rubik's Cube. |
这是一张你小时候的照片,你手里拿着魔方。 |
You mentioned that you've been programming since you were like 10 or 11, half your life. |
你刚才提到,你从10岁、11岁就开始编程了, 人生的一半, |
Were you this sort of computer genius , you know, übernerd, were you the star at school who could do everything? |
你是那种电脑天才,技术宅吗? 你在学校里是无所不能的明星吗? |
genius:n.天才;天资;才能,本领;
|
What were you like as a kid? |
你是个什么样的孩子? |
LT: Yeah, I think I was the prototypical nerd . |
LT:没错,我觉得自己就是宅男的原型。 |
prototypical:adj.原型的;典型的; nerd:n.呆子;讨厌的人;
|
I mean, I was ... |
我是说,当年…… |
I was not a people person back then. |
我并不喜欢跟人打交道。 |
That's my younger brother. |
那是我弟弟。 |
I was clearly more interested in the Rubik's Cube than my younger brother. |
显然我对魔方更有兴趣, 完全无视我弟弟。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
My younger sister, who's not in the picture, when we had family meetings -- and it's not a huge family, but I have, like, a couple of cousins -- she would prep me beforehand . |
我还有个妹妹,她不在照片里, 当我们全家聚在一起的时候—— 我家人不算多,但我有好几个侄子侄女—— 她会事先给我打预防针。 |
prep:n.预备;预习;准备功课;v.上预备学校;作好准备; beforehand:adv.事先;预先;adj.提前的;预先准备好的;
|
Like, before I stepped into the room she would say, "OK. That's so-and-so ..." |
在我进屋之前,她会说, “好的,你要注意什么什么……” |
so-and-so:某某;如此这般;谁谁;如此如此沙咸沙;
|
Because I was not -- |
因为我其实…… |
I was a geek . |
我是个技术宅。 |
geek:n.做低级滑稽表演的人,反常的人; n.(俚)极客,即智力超群,善于钻研但不懂与人交往的怪才;
|
I was into computers, |
我喜欢电脑, |
I was into math, |
喜欢数学, |
I was into physics. |
喜欢物理。 |
I was good at that. |
我擅长这些。 |
I don't think I was particularly exceptional . |
但也没到出类拔萃的地步。 |
particularly:adv.特别地,独特地;详细地,具体地;明确地,细致地; exceptional:adj.异常的,例外的;n.超常的学生;
|
Apparently , my sister said that my biggest exceptional quality was that I would not let go. |
就像我妹妹说的, 我最突出的品质就是不放弃。 |
Apparently:adv.显然地;似乎,表面上;
|
CA: OK, so let's go there, because that's interesting. |
CA:好的,那我们就来聊聊这个,这很有意思。 |
You would not let go. |
你不轻言放弃。 |
So that's not about being a geek and being smart, that's about being ... stubborn ? |
也就是说,不是因为技术宅或者聪明, 而是因为……固执? |
stubborn:adj.顽固的;顽强的;难处理的;
|
LT: That's about being stubborn. |
LT:没错,就是固执。 |
That's about, like, just starting something and not saying, "OK, I'm done, let's do something else -- |
就像, 我开始做一件事情, 我不会说,“好的,我不干了,我要去干点别的…… |
Look: shiny !" |
看,比如那个!” |
shiny:adj.闪亮的;光亮的;反光的;有光泽的;
|
And I notice that in many other parts in my life, too. |
我发现我在做其他事情的时候也会这样。 |
I lived in Silicon Valley for seven years. |
我在硅谷生活了7年。 |
Silicon Valley:n.硅谷(美国加利福尼亚州一处计算机和电子公司聚集地,有时用以指任何计算机公司聚集地);
|
And I worked for the same company, in Silicon Valley, for the whole time. |
一直在同一家公司上班,那可是在硅谷哦, 从未换过。 |
That is unheard of. |
这简直闻所未闻。 |
unheard:adj.听不到的;未被倾听的;不予理睬的;
|
That's not how Silicon Valley works. |
尤其在硅谷这个地方。 |
The whole point of Silicon Valley is that people jump between jobs to kind of mix up the pot. |
硅谷最大的特点就是,人们总在跳槽, 一会这一会那。 |
And that's not the kind of person I am. |
而我不是这样。 |
CA: But during the actual development of Linux itself, that stubbornness sometimes brought you in conflict with other people. |
CA:但在Linux系统发展的过程中, 这种固执有时会让你和别人产生冲突。 |
stubbornness:n.倔强;顽强;棘手; conflict:n.冲突;矛盾;争执;抵触;v.抵触;
|
Talk about that a bit. |
给我们讲讲这个。 |
Was that essential to sort of maintain the quality of what was being built? |
维持已有成果的质量是不是非常必要? |
essential:n.要点;要素;实质;必需品;adj.完全必要的;必不可少的;极其重要的;本质的;
|
How would you describe what happened? |
你会如何来形容之后发生的事情? |
describe:v.描述;形容;把…称为;画出…图形;
|
LT: I don't know if it's essential. |
LT:我不确定这是不是非常必要。 |
Going back to the "I'm not a people person," -- sometimes I'm also ... |
还是说回到“我并不合群”这一点, 有的时候我还…… |
shall we say, " myopic " when it comes to other people's feelings, and that sometimes makes you say things that hurt other people. |
可以说, 不太理解他人的感受, 经常会说话伤到别人。 |
myopic:adj.近视的;目光短浅的;
|
And I'm not proud of that. |
对此我感到很抱歉。 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
But, at the same time , it's -- |
但与此同时, |
at the same time:同时;另一方面;与此同时;
|
I get people who tell me that I should be nice. |
有人告诉我,我应该友善一些。 |
And then when I try to explain to them that maybe you're nice, maybe you should be more aggressive , they see that as me being not nice. |
然后我会跟他们说,可能你是友善, 但你应该更加富有侵略性一些, 他们会把这个当成我的不友善。 |
aggressive:adj.侵略性的;好斗的;有进取心的;有闯劲的;
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
What I'm trying to say is we are different. |
我想说的是我们是不同的。 |
I'm not a people person; it's not something I'm particularly proud of, but it's part of me. |
我不是个合群的人, 对此我并不感到骄傲, 但这就是我。 |
And one of the things I really like about open source is it really allows different people to work together. |
而我喜欢开源软件的一点就是, 它能让形形色色的人在一起合作。 |
We don't have to like each other -- and sometimes we really don't like each other. |
我们不必相互喜欢—— 有时候我们甚至互相讨厌。 |
Really -- I mean, there are very, very heated arguments. |
是真的,我们经常吵得不可开交。 |
But you can, actually, you can find things that -- you don't even agree to disagree, it's just that you're interested in really different things. |
但是你会,你会发现许多事情—— 甚至都没法同意保留不同意见, 因为大家的兴趣点真的不一样。 |
And coming back to the point where I said earlier that I was afraid of commercial people taking advantage of your work, it turned out, and very quickly turned out, that those commercial people were lovely, lovely people. |
回到我刚才说过的, 我担心商人们利用我们的劳动成果, 但没过多久,我发现, 这些商人都是非常非常好的人。 |
And they did all the things that I was not at all interested in doing, and they had completely different goals. |
他们做那些我不感兴趣的事, 关注点与我完全不同。 |
not at all:毫无;一点也不;不用谢;
|
And they used open source in ways that I just did not want to go. |
他们使用开源软件的方法跟我不一样的。 |
But because it was open source they could do it, and it actually works really beautifully together. |
但正因为是开源的,他们可以这么干, 而且实际上效果很好。 |
And I actually think it works the same way. |
我甚至认为跟我使用的效果一样好。 |
You need to have the people-people, the communicators , the warm and friendly people who like -- |
我们需要合群的人,需要能与人交流的人, 需要温暖友好的人 就像…… |
communicators:n.交流者;通讯器(communicator的复数);
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
really want to hug you and get you into the community. |
喜欢拥抱你,带你走进这个圈子。 |
But that's not everybody. |
但不是每个人都能做到。 |
And that's not me. |
比如我就做不到。 |
I care about the technology. |
我关注的是技术。 |
There are people who care about the UI. |
有的人关注用户界面。 |
I can't do UI to save my life. |
我死也做不来用户界面。 |
I mean, if I was stranded on an island and the only way to get off that island was the make a pretty UI, |
举个例子,如果我被困在一个孤岛上, 逃出生天的唯一办法是设计一个漂亮的用户界面, |
stranded:adj.搁浅的; v.搁浅; (strand的过去式和过去分词);
|
I'd die there. |
我宁愿死在岛上。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
So there's different kinds of people, and I'm not making excuses, I'm trying to explain. |
人跟人是不一样的, 我并不是在找借口,只是想解释给大家听。 |
CA: Now, when we talked last week, you talked about some other trait that you have, which I found really interesting. |
CA:我们上周见面的时候, 你聊到自己的一些其他特点, 我觉得很有意思。 |
trait:n.特性,特点;品质;少许;
|
It's this idea called taste. |
是关于品味的。 |
And I've just got a couple of images here. |
我这里有一些图片。 |
images:n.印象;声誉;形象;画像;雕像;(image的第三人称单数和复数)
|
I think this is an example of not particularly good taste in code, and this one is better taste, which one can immediately see. |
我觉得这一段代码就没什么品位, 而这一段要好一些, 相信大家一看便知。 |
What is the difference between these two? |
这两段代码有什么不一样? |
LT: So this is -- |
LT:这是…… |
How many people here actually have coded ? |
在座的有哪些人编过程? |
coded:adj.[计]编码的;电码的;译成电码的;v.译成密码(code的过去式和过去分词);
|
CA: Oh my goodness. |
CA:我的天啊。 |
LT: So I guarantee you, everybody who raised their hand, they have done what's called a singly-linked list. |
LT:我敢保证, 刚刚举手的每一位, 肯定做过单向链表。 |
guarantee:n.保证;担保;保证人;保证书;抵押品;v.保证;担保;
|
And it's taught -- |
它是在…… |
This, the first not very good taste approach, is basically how it's taught to be done when you start out coding . |
这个,第一段不怎么漂亮的代码, 基本上是在你刚开始学编程的时候学到的。 |
coding:n.译码;v.把…编码;(code的现在分词)
|
And you don't have to understand the code. |
你不需要真的理解这段代码。 |
The most interesting part to me is the last if statement . |
我觉得最有意思的 是最后一个“if”语句。 |
statement:n.声明;陈述,叙述;报表,清单;
|
Because what happens in a singly-linked list -- this is trying to remove an existing entry from a list -- and there's a difference between if it's the first entry or whether it's an entry in the middle. |
因为在单向链表中—— 这里是试图将一个已存在的入口移出链表—— 不同之处在于这是第一个入口 还是一个位于中间的入口。 |
Because if it's the first entry, you have to change the pointer to the first entry. |
如果是第一个入口, 你需要将指针改向第一个入口。 |
pointer:n.指针;指示器;教鞭;暗示;
|
If it's in the middle, you have to change the pointer of a previous entry. |
而如果位于中间, 你需要将指针改向上一个入口。 |
previous:adj.以前的;早先的;过早的;adv.在先;在…以前;
|
So they're two completely different cases. |
这是两种完全不同的情况。 |
CA: And that's better. |
CA:这一个比较好。 |
LT: And this is better. |
LT:这一个比较好。 |
It does not have the if statement. |
它没有if语句。 |
And it doesn't really matter -- |
这完全不影响—— |
I don't want you understand why it doesn't have the if statement, but I want you to understand that sometimes you can see a problem in a different way and rewrite it so that a special case goes away and becomes the normal case. |
你不必了解这里为什么没有“if”语句, 你需要了解的是 有时候你可以换个角度看问题, 重写代码,排除特例, 完美覆盖所有情况。 |
And that's good code. |
这就是好的代码。 |
But this is simple code. |
同时也很简单。 |
This is CS 101. |
这是最基本的原则。 |
This is not important -- although, details are important. |
其实这都不重要——当然,细节非常重要。 |
To me, the sign of people I really want to work with is that they have good taste, which is how ... |
对我来说,我愿意与之共事的人, 必须有好的品位,这就是如何…… |
I sent you this stupid example that is not relevant because it's too small. |
我举的这个例子很傻, 没什么意义,因为实在太短。 |
relevant:adj.相关的;切题的;中肯的;有重大关系的;有意义的,目的明确的;
|
Good taste is much bigger than this. |
好的品位体现在更长的代码里。 |
Good taste is about really seeing the big patterns and kind of instinctively knowing what's the right way to do things. |
好的品位体现在能看清全局 甚至有一种直觉,知道怎么把事情做漂亮。 |
instinctively:adv.本能地;
|
CA: OK, so we're putting the pieces together here now. |
CA:好的,让我们来总结一下。 |
You have taste, in a way that's meaningful to software people. |
你有品位, 当然是对于程序员们而言, |
You're -- |
你很有品位—— |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
LT: I think it was meaningful to some people here. |
LT:对在座有些人而言,是这样。 |
CA: You're a very smart computer coder , and you're hellish stubborn. |
CA:你是个非常有才华的电脑程序员, 你异常固执。 |
coder:n.编码器;编码员; hellish:adj.地狱的;凶恶的;令人毛骨悚然的;
|
But there must be something else. |
但肯定不止这些。 |
I mean, you've changed the future. |
因为你是改变了未来的人。 |
You must have the ability of these grand visions of the future. |
你一定有实现未来宏伟愿景的能力。 |
visions:n.愿景; v.想像;
|
You're a visionary , right? |
你是个有远见的人,是吗? |
visionary:adj.梦想的;幻影的;n.空想家;梦想者;有眼力的人;
|
LT: I've actually felt slightly uncomfortable at TED for the last two days, because there's a lot of vision going on, right? |
LT:其实在过去两天里,我在TED大会 觉得不太自在 , 因为有很多关于未来的想象,对吧? |
slightly:adv.些微地,轻微地;纤细地;
|
And I am not a visionary. |
我并不是一个有远见的人。 |
I do not have a five-year plan. |
我没有制定未来五年的计划。 |
I'm an engineer. |
我是一名工程师。 |
And I think it's really -- |
而且我觉得,真是—— |
I mean -- I'm perfectly happy with all the people who are walking around and just staring at the clouds and looking at the stars and saying, "I want to go there." |
我是说——我非常乐意跟梦想家在一起 他们行走四方,仰望苍穹, 看着满天星辰说,“我想到那儿去。” |
staring:adj.凝视的,目不转睛的;显眼的;v.凝视;盯着看;显眼;(stare的现在分词)
|
But I'm looking at the ground, and I want to fix the pothole that's right in front of me before I fall in. |
但我是低头看路的那种人, 我只想填好眼前这个坑, 不让自己掉进去。 |
pothole:n.壶穴;vi.探索洞穴;
|
This is the kind of person I am. |
我是这样的人。 |
(Cheers) |
(欢呼) |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
CA: So you spoke to me last week about these two guys. |
CA:上周你跟我聊过他们俩。 |
Who are they and how do you relate to them? |
他们是谁?你跟他们有什么关系? |
LT: Well, so this is kind of cliché in technology, the whole Tesla versus Edison, where Tesla is seen as the visionary scientist and crazy idea man. |
LT:这其实是技术界的一个老故事了, 特斯拉和爱迪生之争, 特斯拉被认为是一名有远见的科学家,总是有疯狂的想法。 |
versus:prep.对;与...相对;对抗;
|
And people love Tesla. |
大家都爱特斯拉。 |
I mean, there are people who name their companies after him. |
你看,还有人把自己公司也叫这个名字。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
The other person there is Edison, who is actually often vilified for being kind of pedestrian and is -- |
另一个人是爱迪生, 经常被嘲讽说他是一个单调乏味的人, 而且—— |
vilified:vt.诽谤;中伤;轻视;贬低; pedestrian:adj.徒步的;缺乏想像力的;n.行人;步行者;
|
I mean, his most famous quote is, "Genius is one percent inspiration and 99 percent perspiration ." |
他最有名的一句话就是, “天才是1%的灵感加上99%的汗水。” |
quote:v.引用;报价;举例说明;开价;为(企业的股份)上市;n.引用; perspiration:n.汗水;流汗;努力;
|
And I'm in the Edison camp, even if people don't always like him. |
而我是爱迪生一派的, 尽管人们经常讨厌他。 |
Because if you actually compare the two, |
如果你比较一下这两位, |
compare:v.比较;对比;n.比较;
|
Tesla has kind of this mind grab these days, but who actually changed the world? |
特斯拉很能抓眼球, 但真正改变世界的是谁? |
grab:v.攫取;霸占;将…深深吸引;n.攫取;霸占;夺取之物;
|
Edison may not have been a nice person, he did a lot of things -- he was maybe not so intellectual , not so visionary. |
爱迪生也许不是个讨喜的人, 但他做了很多事—— 他也许没那么天才, 不是那么有远见。 |
intellectual:n.知识分子;脑力劳动者;adj.智力的;脑力的;理智的;有才智的;
|
But I think I'm more of an Edison than a Tesla. |
|
CA: So our theme at TED this week is dreams -- big, bold , audacious dreams. |
CA:TED大会这一周的主题是梦想—— 宏伟、大胆的梦想。 |
bold:adj.大胆的,英勇的;黑体的;厚颜无耻的;险峻的; audacious:adj.无畏的;鲁莽的;
|
You're really the antidote to that. |
而你却像碎梦人。 |
antidote:n.[药]解毒剂;解药;矫正方法;
|
LT: I'm trying to dial it down a bit, yes. |
LT:我会试着收敛一些。 |
CA: That's good. |
CA:太好了。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
We embrace you, we embrace you. |
我们接受你,我们爱你。 |
embrace:n.拥抱,怀抱;v.拥抱;乐意采纳(思想、建议等);信奉;包括;
|
Companies like Google and many others have made, arguably , like, billions of dollars out of your software. |
谷歌和其他许多公司使用你的软件, 挣了非常多的钱。 |
arguably:v.可论证地;
|
Does that piss you off? |
你会觉得不爽吗? |
piss:int.(美俚)呸;n.撒尿;v.撒尿;
|
LT: No. |
LT:不会。 |
No, it doesn't piss me off for several reasons. |
原因有很多, |
And one of them is, I'm doing fine. |
其中一个原因是,我过得不错。 |
I'm really doing fine. |
真心不错。 |
But the other reason is -- |
另一个原因就是—— |
I mean, without doing the whole open source and really letting go thing, |
如果我不将它开源,而过于纠结的话, |
Linux would never have been what it is. |
Linux就不会发展成今天这样。 |
And it's brought experiences I don't really enjoy, public talking, but at the same time, this is an experience. |
而且Linux让我有了许多经历,尽管我不喜欢,比如在公开场合讲话, 但同时,这也是一种历练。 |
Trust me. |
相信我。 |
So there's a lot of things going on that make me a very happy man and thinking I did the right choices. |
很多事情让我成为了一个快乐的人, 我觉得当初的选择没有错。 |
CA: Is the open source idea -- this is, I think we'll end here -- is the open source idea fully realized now in the world, or is there more that it could go, are there more things that it could do? |
CA:开源软件这个想法—— 我想这是最后一个话题—— 开源软件这个想法已经在全世界实现了吗? 还是说还有潜力可挖, 还有很多可以做的? |
LT: So, I'm of two minds there. |
LT:我有两个想法。 |
I think one reason open source works so well in code is that at the end of the day, code tends to be somewhat black and white . |
我认为开源软件如此成功的原因之一 在于归根结底, 代码是一个非黑即白的事情。 |
somewhat:n.几分;某物;adv.有点;多少;几分;稍微; black and white:adj.印刷的;黑白混合的;用笔写的;
|
There's often a fairly good way to decide, this is done correctly and this is not done well. |
我们有非常明确的方法来分辨, 一段代码是行还是不行。 |
fairly:adv.相当地;公平地;简直;
|
Code either works or it doesn't, which means that there's less room for arguments. |
代码要么运行成功,要么失败, 这就意味着没什么可争议的。 |
And we have arguments despite this, right? |
我们有很多争议,不是吗? |
despite:prep.尽管,不管;n.轻视;憎恨;侮辱;
|
In many other areas -- |
在其他许多领域—— |
I mean, people have talked about open politics and things like that -- and it's really hard sometimes to say that, yes, you can apply the same principles in some other areas |
人们探讨过公开政治和其他类似的事情—— 有时候真的很难去说, 没错,你可以在其他领域也采取同样的原则, |
politics:n.政治;钩心斗角;政治观点;v.(贬)从事政治活动;(politic的第三人称单数) apply:v.申请;涂,敷;应用;适用;请求; principles:n.原则;主义;本质;政策;(principle的复数)
|
just because the black and white turns into not just gray, but different colors. |
因为在那些地方不是非黑即白的,有灰色, 也有其他颜色。 |
So, obviously open source in science is making a comeback . |
因此,科学界的开源显然是一种回归。 |
comeback:n.恢复;复原;
|
Science was there first. |
科学最初是开源的。 |
But then science ended up being pretty closed, with very expensive journals and some of that going on. |
但之后变得越来越封闭, 只存在那些昂贵的科学期刊上。 |
journals:n.学术期刊(journal的复数);日记;日记账;
|
And open source is making a comeback in science, with things like arXiv and open journals. |
开源让科学回归了, 我们有了arXiv和开放期刊。 |
Wikipedia changed the world, too. |
维基百科也改变了世界。 |
Wikipedia:维基百科;
|
So there are other examples, |
还有其他许多例子, |
I'm sure there are more to come. |
我觉得未来还会有更多。 |
CA: But you're not a visionary, and so it's not up to you to name them. |
CA:但你不是个有远见的人, 这些事跟你没啥关系。 |
LT: No. |
LT:当然。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
It's up to you guys to make them, right? |
得靠你们去实现了,对吗? |
CA: Exactly. |
CA:没错。 |
Linus Torvalds, thank you for Linux, thank you for the Internet, thank you for all those Android phones. |
林纳斯·托瓦兹, 谢谢你的Linux,谢谢你为互联网做的一切, 谢谢你为安卓手机做的一切。 |
Thank you for coming here to TED and revealing so much of yourself. |
谢谢你来参加TED大会,让我们更加了解你。 |
revealing:adj.暴露的;发人深省的;v.揭示;露出;显示;展示;(reveal的现在分词)
|
LT: Thank you. |
LT:谢谢。 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |