|
|
LiWeiTan_2018S-_令人着迷的气泡科学:从肥皂到香槟_
|
Some years ago, I was visiting Paris and walking along the Seine River during a beautiful summer afternoon. |
很多年前我游访巴黎时, 曾在一个美好的夏日午后 漫步在塞纳河边。 |
I saw giant bubbles floating on the riverbank , like this one. |
我看到一些巨大的泡泡漂浮在河岸, 像这个一样。 |
giant:n.巨人;伟人;巨兽;adj.巨大的;特大的 bubbles:n.泡; v.起泡; (bubble的第三人称单数和复数) riverbank:n.河堤;
|
The next moment, it popped and was gone. |
随后,它突然破裂然后消失。 |
Making them were two street performers surrounded by a crowd. |
这是被一群人围住的 两个街头艺人制造出的泡泡, |
They visibly make a living by asking for donations and by selling pairs of sticks tied with two strings . |
显然他们营生的手段 是靠卖艺获得捐款, 和售卖一对被两根绳子拴在一起的棍子。 |
visibly:adv.明显地;显然;看得见地; make a living:谋生,维持生活; donations:n.捐赠物;捐赠;赠送;(donation的复数) strings:一串,悬挂(string的第三人称单数和复数)
|
When I was there, a man bought a pair of sticks for 10 euros , which surprised me. |
当时,正好一个男人 花了10欧元买了一对棍子, 这让我感到十分吃惊。 |
euros:n.欧元;欧洛斯风;带雨东南暴风(euro复数);
|
I am a scientist who is passionate about bubbles. |
我是一个痴迷于气泡的科学家, |
passionate:adj.热情的;热烈的,激昂的;易怒的;
|
I know the right trick to make the giant bubbles is the right soapy water mixture itself -- not the sticks, which may be needed, but you can easily make them at home. |
我知道这些大泡泡背后的把戏, 不过是配比合适的 肥皂水的混合物在起作用—— 与棍子无关, 尽管可能用得到, 你在家里也能很容易的做出这些泡泡。 |
soapy:adj.涂着肥皂的;含有肥皂的;似肥皂的;圆滑的; mixture:n.混合;结合体;混合物;集合体;
|
Focusing on the sticks makes us not see that the real tool is the bubble itself. |
把焦点放在棍子上让我们忽视了 真实的工具其实就是气泡本身。 |
Bubbles might seem like something just children make while playing, but sometimes it can be really stunning . |
或许气泡看起来只是 孩子们玩弄的东西, 但有时它的效果十分惊人。 |
stunning:adj.惊人的; v.使昏迷; (stun的现在分词)
|
However, there are more fascinating science to bubbles, such as problem-solving tools. |
然而,这些气泡背后 还有着更为迷人的科学知识, 例如解决问题的工具。 |
fascinating:adj.极有吸引力的;迷人的;v.深深吸引;迷住;(fascinate的现在分词) problem-solving:adj.问题解决的;n.解决问题;找出问题的答案;
|
So I would like to share with you a few stories about the science of creating bubbles and the science of eliminating the microscopic ones. |
所以我想跟你们分享 关于制造气泡的科学故事, 和消除微观气泡的科学。 |
eliminating:v.排除;清除;消除;淘汰;(eliminate的现在分词) microscopic:adj.微观的;用显微镜可见的;
|
Since it's up on the screen, let's start with the soap bubble. |
既然已经在屏幕上显示了, 我们就从肥皂泡开始吧。 |
It is made from very common substances : air, water, soap, in the right mixture. |
它是由很相似的物质构成的, 空气,水,肥皂,适当的混合, |
substances:n.[物]物质;基本内容;物品药物(substance的复数);
|
You can see soap bubbles constantly changing their colors. |
你们可以看到肥皂泡不断的变换颜色。 |
constantly:adv.不断地;时常地;
|
This is due to the interaction with light at various directions and the changes of their thickness . |
这是由于它与灯光在不同角度相互作用, 而且厚度也会发生变化。 |
interaction:n.[计]交互,相互作用;相互交流;干扰; thickness:n.厚度;层;浓度;含混不清;
|
One of the common substances, water molecules , are formed by two atoms of hydrogen and one atom of oxygen -- H2O. |
其中一个共同的物质,水分子 是由两个氢原子和 一个氧原子组成的——即 H2O。 |
molecules:n.[化学]分子,微粒;[化学]摩尔(molecule的复数); atoms:n.[物]原子(atom的复数); hydrogen:n.氢;氢气;
|
On most surfaces, water droplets tend to curve inwards , forming a semihemisphere shape. |
在大多数表面上,水滴倾向于向内弯曲 形成半球形状。 |
droplets:n.[流]液滴(droplet的复数);飞沫; curve:n.曲线;弯曲;曲面;弧线;v.(使)沿曲线移动;呈曲线形; inwards:adv.向内地;向中心地;
|
This is because the water droplet's surface is like an elastic sheet . |
这是因为水滴的表面富有弹性, |
elastic:n.橡皮圈;adj.有弹力(弹性)的;伸缩自如的;机变的; sheet:n.薄板;床单;纸张;报纸;v.覆盖;展开;给…铺床单;铺开;adj.片状的;
|
The water molecule on the surface is constantly being pulled inwards by the molecule at the center. |
表面的水分子不断地 被中心的分子拉向内部。 |
And the quality of the elasticity is what we call " surface tension ." |
弹性就是我们所说的表面张力。 |
elasticity:n.弹性;弹力;灵活性; surface tension:n.表面张力;
|
Now by adding soap, what happens is the soap molecule reduces the surface tension of water, making it more elastic and easier to form bubbles. |
通过增加肥皂, 肥皂分子降低了水的表面张力, 使得它更具弹性,并且更容易形成气泡。 |
You can think of a bubble as a mathematical problem-solver. |
可以把一个气泡想成 一个数学问题解决者, |
mathematical:adj.数学的,数学上的;精确的;
|
You see it relentlessly trying to achieve geometry perfection . |
你看到它不断尝试去实现几何学完美, |
relentlessly:adv.残酷地,无情地; geometry:n.几何学;几何结构; perfection:n.完善;完美;
|
For instance , a sphere is the shape with the least surface area for a given volume . |
例如,对于给定的体积,球体是 表面积最小的形状。 |
instance:n.实例;情况;建议;v.举...为例; sphere:n.球;领域;球体;球形;v.使成球形;包围;把…放在球内;使处于天体之间; volume:n.体积;容积;音量;响度;一册;合订本
|
That's why a single bubble is always in the shape of a sphere. |
这就是为什么一个气泡 总是以球体的形态存在, |
Let me show you. Check it out. |
让我来展示给你们看。 |
This is a single bubble. |
这是一个单一的气泡, |
When two bubbles touch each other, they can save materials by sharing a common wall. |
当两个气泡彼此接触, 它们会通过共享球壁来节约材料。 |
When more and more bubbles are added together, their geometry changes. |
当越来越多的气泡聚集到一起, 它们的几何形状会发生变化。 |
These four bubbles are added together. |
这四个气泡聚集在一起, |
They meet at one point at the center. |
它们在中心有一个交点。 |
When six bubbles are added together, a magical cube appears at the center. |
当六个气泡聚集到一起, 一个神奇的立方体就会出现在中心。 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
That is surface tension at work, trying to find the most effective geometry arrangement . |
这是表面张力在起作用, 试图找到最有效的几何排列。 |
effective:adj.有效的,起作用的;实际的,实在的;给人深刻印象; arrangement:n.安排;筹备;布置;商定;约定;改编乐曲;
|
Now, let me give you another example. |
现在,让我们来看另一个例子。 |
This is a very simple prop . |
这是一个非常简单的道具, |
prop:n.道具;支柱;支持者;后盾;v.支撑;
|
This is made from two layers of plastic with four pins connected to each other. |
它由两层塑料制成, 通过四个针钉相互连接。 |
layers:n.层;表层;层次;阶层;v.把…分层堆放;(layer的第三人称单数和复数) pins:n.插脚,针;精确的综合导航系统;
|
Imagine these four pins represent four cities that are equally apart, and we would like to make roads to connect these four cities. |
试想这四个针钉代表了四个等距的城市, 我们想修建马路把四个城市连接起来。 |
represent:v.代表;表现;描绘;回忆;再赠送;
|
My question is: What is the shortest length to connect these four cities? |
我的问题是:连接这四个城市 最短的路径是什么? |
Let's find out the answer by dipping it into the soapy water. |
让我们将其浸入肥皂水中来找出答案。 |
dipping:v.蘸;浸;(使)下降,下沉;(dip的现在分词)
|
Remember, the soap bubble forms will always try to minimize their surface area with a perfect geometry arrangement. |
请记住,肥皂泡的形成总是会尽量 使表面积最小化, 并伴随完美的几何排列。 |
minimize:v.使减少到最低限度;降低;贬低;使显得不重要;
|
So the solution might not be something you expected. |
所以解决方案或许不是你所期待的那样。 |
solution:n.解决方案;溶液;溶解;解答;
|
The shortest length to connect these four cities is 2.73 times the distance between these two cities. |
连接四个城市最短的长度, 是两个城市距离的2.73倍。 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
Now you've got the idea. |
现在你已经明白了, |
The soap bubble forms will always try to minimize their surface area with a perfect geometry arrangement. |
肥皂泡的形成总是 尽量使表面积最小化, 并伴有完美的几何排列。 |
Now, let us look at bubbles in another perspective . |
现在,让我们用从另一个 角度来看待这些气泡。 |
perspective:n.观点;远景;透视图;adj.透视的;
|
My daughter, Zoe, loves visiting zoos. |
我的女儿,Zoe,喜欢逛动物园。 |
Her favorite spot is Penguin Cove at Marwell Zoo in Southern England, where she could see penguins swim at speed under the water. |
她最喜欢的地方是位于英格兰 南部的马威尔动物园的企鹅湾。 在那里她可以看企鹅 在水下飞快的游泳。 |
Cove:n.小湾;山凹;小峡谷;vt.使内凹;使成拱形;vi.内凹;成拱形; penguins:n.企鹅;(penguin的复数)
|
One day, she noticed that the body of penguins leaves a trail of bubbles when they swim and asked why. |
有一天,她注意到当企鹅们游泳时, 它们的身后会留下一串串的气泡, 她向我询问其中原因。 |
trail:v.(被)拖,拉;疲惫地走,磨蹭;落后,失败;n.痕迹;踪迹;小路;路线;
|
Animals and birds like penguins that spend a lot of their time under the water have evolved an ingenious way of utilizing the capability of bubbles to reduce the density of water. |
动物和鸟类,比如企鹅, 大部分时间都生活在水里, 逐渐进化出了一种可以利用气泡 来降低水的密度的巧妙方式。 |
evolved:v.(使)逐渐形成;进化;进化形成;(evolve的过去分词和过去式) ingenious:adj.有独创性的;机灵的,精制的;心灵手巧的; utilizing:v.利用(utilize的ing形式); capability:n.才能,能力;性能,容量; density:n.密度;
|
Emperor penguins are thought to be able to dive a few hundred meters below the sea surface. |
帝企鹅可以在海平面下几百米深的 水下潜水。 |
dive:n.潜水;跳水;俯冲;猛冲;v.猛冲;(头朝下)跳入水中;[体]跳水(运动);
|
They are thought to store the air under their feathers before they dive and then progressively release it as a cloud of bubbles. |
它们被认为会在潜水前 在羽毛下面存储空气, 然后逐渐释放空气形成一团气泡。 |
progressively:adv.渐进地;日益增多地; release:v.释放;发射;让与;允许发表;n.释放;发布;让与;
|
This reduces the density of water surrounding them, making it easier to swim through and speed up their swimming speed at least 40 percent. |
这可以降低它们周围的水的密度, 让游泳变得更轻松, 同时可以将游泳速度提高至少40%。 |
This feature has been noticed by the ship manufacturers . |
这个特点被船舶制造商注意到了。 |
manufacturers:n.生产者;制造者;生产商;(manufacturer的复数)
|
I am talking about the big ships here, the ones that are used to transport thousands of containers across the ocean. |
我说的是大型船只, 那些可以跨洋运输 上千个集装箱的大船, |
transport:n.运输;输送;运送;运输机;v.输送;传播;使产生身临其境的感觉;(旧时)流放;
|
Recently , they developed a system called "air lubricating system," |
他们近来开发了一套 称为“空气润滑系统”的装置, |
Recently:adv.最近;新近; lubricating:adj.润滑的,涂油;加润滑油的;v.润滑(lubricate的现在分词);加润滑油;
|
inspired by the penguins. |
就是受企鹅的启发。 |
inspired:adj.受到启发的; v.鼓舞; (inspire的过去分词和过去式)
|
In this system, they produce a lot of air bubbles and redistribute them across the whole of the ship, like an air carpet that reduces the water resistance when a ship is moving. |
他们用这个系统制造很多空气泡, 并重新分散在整只船周围, 就像一层空气地毯一样,以此来降低 船行时水的阻力。 |
redistribute:vt.重新分配;再区分; carpet:n.地毯;v.用地毯铺(房间的)地板; resistance:n.电阻;抵抗;阻力;抗力;
|
This feature cuts off the energy consumption for the ship up to 15 percent. |
这个功能为船只节省了 高达15%的能源消耗。 |
consumption:n.消费;消耗;肺痨;
|
Bubbles can also be used for medicines. |
气泡同样也可以用于医药, |
It can also play a role in medicines, for instance, as a method for noninvasive delivery systems for drugs and genes to a specific part of the body. |
它也可以在药物中发挥作用。 例如,可以作为将药物和基因 运送至身体的某个特定部位的 非侵入性传递系统的一种方法。 |
noninvasive:adj.非侵袭的;非侵害的; delivery:n.[贸易]交付;分娩;递送; genes:n.基因;(gene的复数) specific:adj.特殊的,特定的;明确的;详细的;[药]具有特效的;n.特性;细节;特效药;
|
Imagine a microbubble filled with a mixture of drugs and magnetic agents being injected into our bloodstream . |
想象一个 充满药物和磁性剂混合物的微泡, 被注入到我们的血液中。 |
microbubble:微气泡;微泡;微泡法; magnetic:adj.像磁铁的;有磁性的;磁的;富有吸引力的; agents:n.代理人,经纪人;原动力;(agent的复数) injected:v.(给…)注射(药物等); (inject的过去分词和过去式) bloodstream:n.[生理]血流,血液的流动;
|
The bubbles will move to the target areas. |
气泡会移向目标区域, |
But how do they know where to go? |
但是它们如何知道要去哪里呢? |
Because we placed a magnet there. |
因为我们在那放置了一个磁体, |
For instance, this part of my hand. |
例如,我手上的这个部位。 |
When the microbubbles move to this part of my hand, we can pop it via ultrasound and release the drug exactly where it's needed. |
当微泡移到我手上的这个部位, 我们就可以通过超声使它破裂, 并且准确的把药物释放到所需部位。 |
microbubbles:微气泡;微泡;微米气泡; via:prep.通过;经由;n.道路;[医]管道; ultrasound:n.超声;超音波;
|
Now, I mentioned about the science of creating bubbles. |
那么,我提到了制造气泡的科学, |
But sometimes we also need to remove them. |
但是有时我们也需要除去气泡, |
That's actually part of my job. |
这实际上也是我工作的一部分。 |
My exact job title is "ink formulation scientist." |
我确切的职称是“油墨配方科学家”, |
formulation:n.构想,规划;公式化;简洁陈述;
|
But I don't work on the ink that you use for your writing pens. |
但是,我所打交道的不是 你们写字用的笔中的那种油墨, |
I'm working on some cool applications such as organic photovoltaics , OPVs, and organic light-emitting diodes , OLEDs. |
我所用的油墨有着非常酷的应用, 如有机光伏,OPV; 和有机发光二极管,OLED。 |
organic:adj.有机的;不使用化肥的;绿色的;有机物的;n.分子有机体; photovoltaics:光伏;太阳光电;光生伏打 light-emitting:adj.发光的; diodes:n.二极管;
|
Part of my job is to figure out how and why we want to remove the bubbles from the ink that my company produces. |
我的一部分工作就是搞清楚 我们在油墨生产过程中 要消除气泡的方式和原因。 |
During the formulation-mixing process , or preparation process , we mix active ingredients , solvents and additives in order to achieve the formulations with the properties we want when the ink is being used. |
在配方混合过程中, 或者准备过程中, 我们将活性成分,溶剂 和添加剂混合在一起, 以使配方在墨水使用过程中 实现我们想要的性能。 |
process:v.处理;加工;列队行进;n.过程,进行;方法,adj.经过特殊加工(或处理)的; ingredients:n.成分;(尤指烹饪)原料;(成功的)要素;(ingredient的复数) solvents:n.[化学]溶剂;解决方法(solvent的复数形式); additives:n.添加剂,食物添加剂;附加剂; formulations:构想,规划;[数]公式化;简洁陈述formulation的复数);
|
But just like you would make drinks or bake cakes, it is unavoidable that some air bubbles will be trapped inside that ink. |
但是,就像你做饮品 或是烘培蛋糕, 一些气泡会不可避免地 进入到油墨中。 |
bake:n.烤; v.焙; (变得)灼热; unavoidable:adj.不可避免的;不能废除的; trapped:adj.受困的;受限制的;v.使落入险境;使陷入困境;(trap的过去分词和过去式)
|
Here, we are talking about a different space from the bubbles I'd seen in Paris. |
在这里,我们谈论的气泡 与我在巴黎看到的 有着截然不同的尺度。 |
The bubbles that are trapped inside those inks vary between a few millimeters , a few microns or even a few nanometers in size. |
那些困在油墨里的气泡, 尺寸在几毫米 到几微米不等, 甚至只有几纳米。 |
vary:vi.变化;变异;违反;vt.改变;使多样化;变奏; millimeters:n.毫米;(millimeter的复数) microns:n.微米(micron的复数); nanometers:n.[计量]毫微米(即十亿分之一米);
|
And what we are concerned about is the oxygen and the moisture that is trapped inside. |
我们所关心的是 困在里面的氧气和水分。 |
concerned:adj.有关的;关心的;v.关心;与…有关;(concern的过去时和过去分词) moisture:n.水分;湿度;潮湿;降雨量;
|
At this size scale , removing them is not easy. |
在这样的尺寸范围里 移除它们并不容易。 |
scale:n.规模;比例;鳞;刻度;天平;数值范围;v.衡量;攀登;剥落;生水垢;
|
But it matters, for instance, for organic light-emitting diodes inks that we can use to produce display for your smartphone , for example. |
但是这很重要, 例如,对于可以用来生产 智能手机显示屏的有机发光二极管, |
display:n.显示;炫耀;vt.显示;表现;陈列;vi.[动]作炫耀行为;adj.展览的;陈列用的; smartphone:n.智能手机;
|
It's supposed to last for many years, but if the ink that we use has been absorbed with oxygen and moisture |
它应该十分经久耐用, 但如果我们使用的油墨 掺进了氧气和水分, |
supposed:adj.误信的;所谓的;v.认为;假设;设想;(suppose的过去分词和过去式) absorbed:adj.被…吸引住; v.吸收(液体、气体等); (absorb的过去分词和过去式)
|
[which] are not being removed, then we can quickly see dark spots appear in the pixels . |
又没能被移除, 我们很快就会在像素中看到黑点。 |
pixels:n.像素(组成屏幕图像的最小独立元素);(pixel的复数)
|
Now, one challenge we face in removing the microbubbles is that they are not very cooperative . |
在移除微气泡的过程中, 我们所面临的一个挑战是, 它们并不配合。 |
cooperative:adj.合作的;协作的;同心协力的;协助的;n.合作企业;合作社组织;
|
They like to sit there, bathing in the ink without moving much. |
它们被固定在油墨中, 几乎一动不动。 |
bathing:n.游泳,畅游;v.给…洗澡;洗澡;(bath的现在分词)
|
But how do we kick them out? |
那我们该如何把它们移走呢? |
One technology we use is to force the ink going through a thin, long and tiny tube with a porous wall, and we place the tubes inside the vacuum chamber , |
我们使用的一种技术, 就是迫使油墨穿过一根 带有多孔壁的细长的管子, 我们把管子放到真空室内, |
technology:n.技术;工艺;术语; porous:adj.多孔渗水的;能渗透的;有气孔的; vacuum:n.真空; adj.真空的; v.用真空吸尘器清扫; chamber:n.(身体或器官内的)室,膛; adj.室内的; vt.把…关在室内;
|
so that the bubbles can be squeezed out from the ink and be removed. |
这样气泡就会从油墨中被挤压出来, 进而被移除。 |
squeezed:v.挤压;捏;榨出,挤出,拧出;挤入;(squeeze的过去分词和过去式)
|
Once we manage to remove the bubbles from the ink that we produce, it is time for celebration. |
在成功的将气泡从所生产的 油墨中移除的那一刻, 我们应该为此庆祝。 |
Let's open a bubbling champagne . |
让我们打开一瓶气泡香槟, |
bubbling:v.起泡;冒泡;洋溢着(某种感情);(bubble的现在分词) champagne:n.香槟酒;香槟酒色;
|
Ooh, this is going to be fun! |
喔,这将会非常有趣! |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
Woooo! |
哇! |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
You could see a lot of bubbles rushing out from the champagne bottle. |
你们可以看到很多泡泡 从酒瓶中喷涌而出, |
These are the bubbles filled with carbon dioxide , a gas that's been produced during the fermentation process of the wine. |
这些气泡充满了二氧化碳, 一种在制酒的发酵过程中产生的气体。 |
carbon dioxide:二氧化碳; fermentation:n.发酵;
|
Let me pour some out. |
让我们倒出一些, |
pour:v.倒; n.流出; (已熔金属的)一次浇注量;
|
I can't miss the chance. |
我可不能错过这样的机会。 |
I guess it's enough. |
应该够了。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
Here, I can see a lot of microbubbles moving from the bottom of the glass to the top of the champagne. |
这里,我可以看到许多微小的气泡, 从杯子的底部向香槟的液面移动。 |
Before it pops, it will jet tiny droplets of aroma molecules and intensify the flavor of champagne, making us enjoy much more the flavor of champagne. |
在破裂前, 它会喷射出很多香气分子, 让香槟的味道更加浓郁, 让我们能够更好的享受香槟的味道。 |
aroma:n.芳香; intensify:vi.增强,强化;变激烈;vt.使加强,使强化;使变激烈; flavor:n.情味,风味;香料;滋味;v.加味于;
|
As a scientist who is passionate about bubbles, |
作为一个痴迷于气泡的科学家, |
I love to see them, |
我喜欢观察这些气泡, |
I love to play with them, and I love to study them. |
与气泡为伴, 研究它们。 |
And also, I love to drink them. |
同时,我也喜欢将它们一饮而尽。 |
Thank you. |
谢谢! |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |