返回首页

LeymahGbowee_2012-_释放女孩的智慧,激情,与伟大_

Many times 有很多次
I go around the world to speak, and people ask me questions about the challenges, my moments, some of my regrets. 我到世界各地演講時 大家會問我 關於面對挑戰 我的關鍵時刻 以及我的悔恨
1998: 1998年
A single mother of four, three months after the birth of my fourth child, 單親媽媽帶著四名子女 我第四個孩子出生後的三個月
I went to do a job as a research assistant. 我找到一份工作 當研究助理
I went to Northern Liberia . 我到了賴比瑞亞北部
Liberia:n.利比里亚(西非国家);
And as part of the work, the village would give you lodgings . 而這份工作包括了 由村莊提供的宿舍
lodgings:n.住所;出租的房舍;
And they gave me lodging with a single mother and her daughter. 他們安排我跟一個單身媽媽 和她的女兒住
This girl happened to be the only girl in the entire village who had made it to the ninth grade. 這女孩剛好是 整個村莊唯一的女孩 她好不容易升上 九年級了
She was the laughing stock of the community . 她是這個部落歡樂的來源
laughing stock:n.笑柄;笑料; community:n.社区;[生态]群落;共同体;团体;
Her mother was often told by other women, "You and your child will die poor." 其他女人常常跟她母親說 妳和妳孩子 到死都是窮人
After two weeks of working in that village, it was time to go back. 在那座村莊工作兩個禮拜以後 到了要回去的時候
The mother came to me, knelt down, and said, "Leymah, take my daughter. 那位母親來到我面前,跪了下來 然後說: 蕾曼,帶我女兒走
knelt:v.跪下(kneel的过去式);
I wish for her to be a nurse." 我希望她能 當一個護士
Dirt poor , living in the home with my parents, 窮的要死,和父母一起住在家裡
Dirt poor:adj.非常穷困的;极贫困的;
I couldn't afford to. 我沒有那種能力
afford:v.给予,提供;买得起;
With tears in my eyes, 我流著淚
I said, "No." 我說: 不行
Two months later, 兩個月後
I go to another village on the same assignment and they asked me to live with the village chief. 同一份工作 指派了我去另一座村莊 他們要我跟村長一起住
assignment:n.分配:(分派的)工作,任务:
The women's chief of the village has this little girl, fair color like me, totally dirty. 村長是女的,有個小女孩 跟我一樣是混血的 全身髒兮兮
And all day she walked around only in her underwear. 她整天不管去哪裡 都只穿著內衣
When I asked, "Who is that?" 當我問: 那是誰?
She said, "That's Wei. 她說: 那是Wei
The meaning of her name is pig. 這個名字的意思是豬
Her mother died while giving birth to her, and no one had any idea who her father was." 她母親生下她的時候死了 而且沒有人知道她的父親是誰
For two weeks, she became my companion , slept with me. 那兩個禮拜她都跟我在一起 跟我一起睡
companion:n.同伴;伴侣;陪伴;手册;v.(与…)同行;(跟…)搭伴儿去;
I bought her used clothes and bought her her first doll. 我幫她買了二手衣服 還幫她買了她的第一個玩偶
The night before I left, she came to the room and said, "Leymah, don't leave me here. 我離開的前一晚 她走進房間 說: 蕾曼,不要丟下我
I wish to go with you. 我想跟妳走
I wish to go to school." 我想要上學
Dirt poor, no money, living with my parents, 窮的要死,口袋空空 和我父母一起住
I again said, "No." 我還是說:不行
Two months later, both of those villages fell into another war. 兩個月後 這兩座村莊都捲入了另一場戰爭
Till today, I have no idea where those two girls are. 直到今天,我還是不知道 那兩個女孩在哪裡
I have no idea:我没有头绪…;
Fast-forward , 2004: 快轉到2004年
Fast-forward:n.快进功能;adj.进展迅速的;vi.快进;vt.使快进;
In the peak of our activism , the minister of Gender Liberia called me and said, "Leymah, I have a nine-year-old for you. 那時我們的激進行動達到最高峰 賴比瑞亞性別與發展部部長打給我 說: 蕾曼,我有個九歲的要給妳
peak:n.高峰; v.达到高峰; adj.最高度的; activism:n.行动主义;激进主义; minister:n.部长;大臣;牧师;vi.执行牧师职务;辅助或伺候某人; Gender:n.性别;
I want you to bring her home because we don't have safe homes." 我要妳帶她回家 因為我們沒有安全的住所
The story of this little girl: 這個小女孩的情況是
She had been raped by her paternal grandfather every day for six months. 她被她父親 那邊的祖父強暴 整整六個月,每天都是
raped:v.强奸;强暴(rape的过去分词和过去式) paternal:adj.父亲的;得自父亲的;父亲般的;
She came to me bloated , very pale. 她來的時候全身浮腫 非常蒼白
bloated:adj.膨胀的; v.(使)膨胀,肿胀; (bloat的过去分词和过去式)
Every night I'd come from work and lie on the cold floor. 每個晚上,我下班後躺在冰冷的地板
She'd lie beside me and say, " Auntie , I wish to be well. 她會躺在我身邊 然後說: 阿姨,我希望一切會變好
Auntie:n.伯母;阿姨;姑妈;姨妈;舅妈(aunt的昵称);
I wish to go to school." 我希望能上學
2010: 2010年
A young woman stands before President Sirleaf and gives her testimony of how she and her siblings live together, their father and mother died during the war. 有位年輕女人站在總統Sirleaf面前 開口說出證詞 說她和她的兄弟姐妹住在一起 他們的父親和母親在戰爭時死掉了
testimony:n.[法]证词,证言;证据; siblings:n.兄;弟;姐;妹;(sibling的复数)
She's 19; her dream is to go to college to be able to support them. 她19歲,她的夢想是上大學 好幫助她的兄弟姐妹
She's highly athletic . 她是成績優秀的運動員
highly:adv.高度地;非常;非常赞许地; athletic:adj.健壮的;体育运动的;田径运动的
One of the things that happens is that she applies for a scholarship . 其中一件發生的事是 她申請了獎學金
applies:v.适用;申请;运用;专心;(apply的第三人称单数) scholarship:n.奖学金;学问;学识;学术成就;
Full scholarship. She gets it. 全額獎學金,她申請到了
Her dream of going to school, her wish of being educated, is finally here. 她上學的夢想 她接受教育的希望 終於在這裡實現
finally:adv.终于;最终;(用于列举)最后;彻底地;
She goes to school on the first day. 她第一天去學校時
The director of sports who's responsible for getting her into the program asks her to come out of class. 學校的體育主任 他的工作是幫她提出申請 他要求她離開教室
responsible:adj.负责的,可靠的;有责任的;
And for the next three years, her fate will be having sex with him every day, as a favor for getting her in school. 接下來的三年 她的命運是 每天都要跟他做愛 當作讓她進學校的報答
Globally, we have policies , international instruments , work leaders. 世界各地,我們有各種政策 各種國際組織 各種工作的領導者
policies:n.政策;方针;原则;为人之道;保险单(policy的复数) instruments:n.器械;仪器;器具;手段(instrument的复数)
Great people have made commitments -- we will protect our children from want and from fear. 偉大的人許下了承諾 我們會保護自己的孩子 免於貧困,免於恐懼
commitments:n.承诺,保证;委托;承担义务;献身;(commitment的复数)
The U.N. has the Convention on the Rights of the Child. 聯合國有 兒童權利公約
Convention:n.习俗;惯例;协定;常规;
Countries like America, we've heard things like No Child Left Behind. 像是在美國,我們知道有 有教無類法案 這種東西
Other countries come with different things. 其他國家有不一樣的東西
There is a Millennium Development called Three that focuses on girls. 聯合國千禧年發展目標 的第三項 將焦點放在女孩身上
Millennium:n.千年期,千禧年;一千年,千年纪念;太平盛世,黄金时代;
All of these great works by great people aimed at getting young people to where we want to get them globally, 這些偉大者做的偉大工作 目的是要引導全球的年輕人 達到我們希望的境界
I think, has failed. 這些努力,我認為失敗了
In Liberia, for example, the teenage pregnancy rate is three to every 10 girls. 例如,在賴比瑞亞 少女懷孕的比率 是十分之三
pregnancy:n.怀孕;丰富,多产;意义深长;
Teen prostitution is at its peak. 少女賣淫率創下新高
prostitution:n.卖淫;滥用;出卖灵魂;
In one community, we're told, you wake up in the morning and see used condoms like used chewing gum paper. 在某個部落,有人曾經跟我們說 早上起來的時候會看到 用過的保險套像是吃完的口香糖包裝紙一樣多
condoms:n.避孕套,安全套;(condom的复数) chewing gum:n.口香糖;
Girls as young as 12 being prostituted for less than a dollar a night. 才12歲的女孩就在賣淫 一個晚上賺不到一塊美金
prostituted:vt.使沦为妓女;adj.卖淫的;堕落的;n.妓女;
It's disheartening , it's sad. 這讓人沮喪,傷心
disheartening:adj.令人灰心的;令人气馁的;
And then someone asked me, just before my TEDTalk, a few days ago, "So where is the hope?" 然後有人問過我 就在我來TED演講前,幾天前 希望在哪裡啊?
Several years ago, a few friends of mine decided we needed to bridge the disconnect between our generation and the generation of young women. 好幾年前,我幾個朋友和我決定 我們必須填平我們這個世代 之間的落差 包括這一代的年輕女人之間
disconnect:vt.拆开,使分离;vi.断开;
It's not enough to say you have two Nobel laureates from the Republic of Liberia when your girls' kids are totally out there and no hope, or seemingly no hope. 光用說的不夠 我們有兩位來自賴比瑞亞共和國的諾貝爾得獎人 你們家女孩的孩子在外面流浪的時候 沒有希望,或是看起來沒有希望
laureates:adj.戴桂冠的;荣誉的;n.桂冠诗人;得奖者;vt.使戴桂冠; seemingly:adv.看来似乎;表面上看来;
We created a space called the Young Girls Transformative Project. 我們創造了一個地方 叫做 年輕女孩改變能力的計畫
Transformative:adj.变化的,变形的;有改革能力的;
We go into rural communities and all we do, like has been done in this room, is create the space. 我們到郊區的部落 我們做的事,跟我在這裡做過的一樣 就是創造一個地方
rural:adj.农村的,乡下的;田园的,有乡村风味的; communities:n.社区;社会;团体;共有(community的复数)
When these girls sit, you unlock intelligence , you unlock passion , you unlock commitment, you unlock focus, you unlock great leaders. 這些女孩坐下的時候 你釋放知識 你釋放熱情 你釋放信念 你釋放重點 你釋放偉大的領導者
intelligence:n.智力;智慧;才智;(尤指关于敌国的)情报; passion:n.激情;热情;酷爱;盛怒;
Today, we've worked with over 300. 今天,我們的成果超過300人
And some of those girls who walked in the room very shy have taken bold steps, as young mothers, to go out there and advocate for the rights of other young women. 其中有些女孩 走進房間的時候很害羞 下定決心才敢加入,例如那些年輕媽媽 為了其他年輕女人的權利 站出來大聲宣傳
bold:adj.大胆的,英勇的;黑体的;厚颜无耻的;险峻的; advocate:v.拥护;支持;提倡;n.支持者;提倡者;辩护律师;出庭辩护人;
One young woman I met, teen mother of four, never thought about finishing high school, graduated successfully; never thought about going to college, enrolled in college. 我遇過一位年輕女人 十幾歲就有了四個小孩 從來沒想過要完成高中學業 結果順利畢業了 從來沒想過能上大學 結果被錄取了
enrolled:v.(使)加入;注册;登记;(enroll的过去分词和过去式)
One day she said to me, "My wish is to finish college and be able to support my children." 有一天,她對我說 我的願望是讀完大學 和有能力培養我的孩子
She's at a place where she can't find money to go to school. 她住的地方湊不到錢 讓她能上學
She sells water, sells soft drinks and sells recharge cards for cellphones . 她賣水,賣飲料 還賣可儲值的行動電話卡
recharge:v.给(电池)充电;恢复体力;休整;n.再袭击;再装火药; cellphones:n.手机;移动电话;(cellphone的复数)
And you would think she would take that money and put it back into her education. 你們會以為她會把那些錢 拿回來當作自己的教育基金
Juanita is her name. 她叫祖安妮塔
She takes that money and finds single mothers in her community to send back to school. 她賺到這些錢 然後找了住在同部落的單親媽媽 送她們去學校
Says, "Leymah, my wish is to be educated. 她說: 蕾曼,我的願望 是接受教育
And if I can't be educated, when I see some of my sisters being educated, my wish has been fulfilled . 如果我不能接受教育 我看到我的姐妹接受教育的時候 我的願望就達成了
fulfilled:adj.感到满足的; v.实现; (fulfill的过去式和过去分词)
I wish for a better life. 我希望生活能更好
I wish for food for my children. 我希望我的小孩有東西吃
I wish that sexual abuse and exploitation in schools would stop." 我希望能停止學校裡的性暴力和剝削
sexual:adj.性的;性别的;有性的; abuse:n.滥用;虐待;辱骂;弊端;恶习,陋习;v.滥用;虐待;辱骂; exploitation:n.开发,开采;利用;广告推销;
This is the dream of the African girl. 這是非洲女孩的夢想
Several years ago, there was one African girl. 好幾年前 有一個非洲女孩
This girl had a son who wished for a piece of doughnut because he was extremely hungry. 這女孩有個兒子 他希望能吃一口甜甜圈 因為他非常非常餓
doughnut:n.油炸圈饼;圆环图;电子回旋加速器环状真空室; extremely:adv.非常,极其;极端地;
Angry, frustrated , really upset about the state of her society and the state of her children, this young girl started a movement, a movement of ordinary women banding together to build peace. 生氣,挫折 她對她週遭的情況 真的很煩 還有她孩子的情況 這個年輕女孩發起了一項活動 一項由普通女人 團結而行的活動 去創造和平
frustrated:adj.失意的,挫败的;泄气的;v.挫败;阻挠;(frustrate的过去式和过去分词) upset:adj.沮丧; v.打乱; n.苦恼; (意外的)混乱; banding:n.捆扎;[电子]条带;v.联合,结合(band的现在分词);
I will fulfill the wish. 我會完成這個願望
This is another African girl's wish. 這是另一位非洲女孩的願望
I failed to fulfill the wish of those two girls. 我無法完成其他兩位女孩的願望
I failed to do this. 我失敗了
These were the things that were going through the head of this other young woman -- 其他這些年輕女人的腦中會有這種想法
I failed, I failed, I failed. 我失敗了,我失敗了
So I will do this. 所以我會這樣
Women came out, protested a brutal dictator , fearlessly spoke. 女人站出來 抗議殘暴的獨裁者 大膽講出來
protested:v.(公开)反对;抗议;坚决地表示;申辩;(protest的过去分词和过去式) brutal:adj.残忍的;野蛮的,不讲理的; dictator:n.独裁者;命令者; fearlessly:adv.勇敢地;大胆地;
Not only did the wish of a piece of doughnut come true, the wish of peace came true. 不但要實現吃一口甜甜圈的願望 實現和平的願望
This young woman wished also to go to school. 這位年輕女人 也希望能上學
She went to school. 她到學校
This young woman wished for other things to happen, it happened for her. 這位年輕女人希望能有其他事發生 能幫助她的事
Today, this young woman is me, a Nobel laureate. 現在,我就是這位年輕女人 諾貝爾得獎人
I'm now on a journey to fulfill the wish, in my tiny capacity , of little African girls -- the wish of being educated. 我現在在旅行 我要實現願望 用我微弱的能力 為了那些非洲小女孩 接受教育的願望
journey:n.旅行;行程;vi.旅行; capacity:n.能力;容量;资格,地位;生产力;
We set up a foundation . 我們成立了一個基金會
foundation:n.基础;地基;基金会;根据;创立;
We're giving full four-year scholarships to girls from villages that we see with potential . 我們提供四年全額的獎金 給那些我們認為有潛力的、來自村莊的女孩
scholarships:n.奖学金;学问;学术;学术研究;(scholarship的复数) potential:n.潜能;可能性;[电]电势;adj.潜在的;可能的;势的;
I don't have much to ask of you. 我沒什麼資格向你們要求
I've also been to places in this U.S., and I know that girls in this country also have wishes, a wish for a better life somewhere in the Bronx , a wish for a better life somewhere in downtown L.A., a wish for a better life somewhere in Texas, a wish for a better life somewhere in New York, a wish for a better life somewhere in New Jersey. 我也來到美國這個國家 我知道這個國家的女孩 也有願望 住在紐約布朗克斯區的某人希望有更好的生活 希望有更好的生活 住在洛杉磯商業區的某人 住在德州的某人希望有更好的生活 紐約某處希望有更好的生活 希望有更好的生活 住在紐澤西州的某人
Bronx:n.布朗克斯(纽约市最北端的一区);布朗克斯鸡尾酒; downtown:n.市区;闹市区;adv.在市区;在热闹街上;到闹市区;adj.闹市区的;
Will you journey with me to help that girl, be it an African girl or an American girl or a Japanese girl, fulfill her wish, fulfill her dream, achieve that dream? 你們願意跟我一起旅行 去幫助那個女孩嗎? 不論是非洲女孩或是美國女孩 或是日本女孩 完成她的願望 完成她的夢想 去達成那個夢想嗎?
Because all of these great innovators and inventors that we've talked to and seen over the last few days are also sitting in tiny corners in different parts of the world, and all they're asking us to do is create that space to unlock the intelligence, unlock the passion, unlock all of the great things that they hold within themselves. 因為我們這幾天 討論的、看到的 所有那些 偉大的改革者和創新者 現在也都在世界各地 的各個角落 他們對我們的要求只有 創造一個地方 能釋放知識 釋放熱情 釋放所有偉大的事情 那是她們天生就有的
innovators:n.创新者;发明家签证;革新消费者(innovator的复数形式);
Let's journey together. Let's journey together. 讓我們一起旅行, 讓我們一起旅行
Thank you. 謝謝大家
(Applause) (掌聲)
Chris Anderson: Thank you so much. 克里斯 安德森:非常感謝妳
Right now in Liberia, what do you see as the main issue that troubles you? 妳現在在賴比瑞亞 看到的 哪一項問題最讓妳煩惱?
issue:n.重要议题;争论的问题;v.宣布;公布;发出;发行;
LG: I've been asked to lead the Liberian Reconciliation Initiative . 蕾曼:有人要求我帶領 賴比瑞亞調停協議 的進行
Reconciliation:n.和解;调和;和谐;甘愿; Initiative:n.倡议;主动性;积极性;主动权;adj.起始的;
As part of my work, 我的工作內容之一
I'm doing these tours in different villages and towns -- 13, 15 hours on dirt roads -- and there is no community that I've gone into that I haven't seen intelligent girls. 就是到處旅行 到不同的村莊和城鎮 在泥巴路上開了13, 15小時 我在每一個去過的部落裡 都會看到一些聰明的女孩
intelligent:adj.有才智的;悟性强的;聪明的;有智力的
But sadly, the vision of a great future, or the dream of a great future, is just a dream, because you have all of these vices . 但是,不幸的是 美好未來的遠景 或是美好未來的夢想 只是空想 因為我們心中那些邪念
vision:n.视力;美景;幻象;想象力;v.想象;显现;梦见; vices:n.恶习;罪恶(vice的复数形式);v.钳紧(vice的第三人称单数形式);
Teen pregnancy, like I said, is epidemic . 少女懷孕,我說過,到處都有
epidemic:n.流行病;蔓延;adj.传染病;流行性的;
So what troubles me is that I was at that place and somehow I'm at this place, and I just don't want to be the only one at this place. 所以我會感到煩惱 是因為我就在當地 然而我現在在這裡 我就是不想要當這個地方 唯一獲救的人
somehow:adv.以某种方法;莫名其妙地;
I'm looking for ways for other girls to be with me. 我在找方法 讓其他女孩能跟我一樣
I want to look back 20 years from now and see that there's another Liberian girl, 我要把時間倒退二十年 我們會看到另一個利比亞女孩
Ghanaian girl, Nigerian girl, Ethiopian girl standing on this TED stage. 加納女孩,奈及利亞女孩, 衣索匹亞女孩 站在這個TED的講台
Ethiopian:adj.埃塞俄比亚的;黑人的;n.埃塞俄比亚人;黑人;
And maybe, just maybe, saying, "Because of that Nobel laureate 也許,只是也許,她會說 因為獲得諾貝爾獎
I'm here today." 今天我站在這裡
So I'm troubled when I see them like there's no hope. 所以,我會擔心 當我看到她們好像失去希望
But I'm also not pessimistic , because I know it doesn't take a lot to get them charged up. 但是我不是悲觀的人 因為我知道不用花太多代價 就能為她們充電
pessimistic:adj.悲观的,厌世的;悲观主义的;
CA: And in the last year, tell us one hopeful thing that you've seen happening. 克里斯:而且去年發生了 一件讓人充滿希望的事 妳也親眼目睹了
LG: I can tell you many hopeful things that I've seen happening. 蕾曼:我可以說很多我看過讓人充滿希望的事給你聽?
But in the last year, where President Sirleaf comes from, her village, we went there to work with these girls. 可是去年 瑟莉芙總統出生的地方,她的村莊 我們去那裡幫忙那些女孩
And we could not find 25 girls in high school. 我們發現正在讀高中的女孩 不到25個
All of these girls went to the gold mine , and they were predominantly prostitutes doing other things. 所有那些女孩都去金礦坑了 顯然她們都當去妓女了 或其他的工作
gold mine:金矿,金山; predominantly:adv.主要地;显著地; prostitutes:n.卖淫者;妓女v.滥用才能;出卖肉体(prostitute的第三人称单数和复数)
We took 50 of those girls and we worked with them. 我們挑了其中50名女孩 跟她們一起工作
And this was at the beginning of elections. 那時候剛開始要選舉
at the beginning of:在…的开始;
This is one place where women were never -- even the older ones barely sat in the circle with the men. 這個地方的女人從來沒有 比較老的那些沒有 公開和男人坐在一起
barely:adv.仅仅,勉强;几乎不;公开地;贫乏地;
These girls banded together and formed a group and launched a campaign for voter registration . 這些女孩團結在一起,組成一個團體 然後發起了一項活動 要爭取投票權的登記
banded:adj.有带子的;v.绑扎(band的过去式); launched:v.发射;发起;开展;开始;(launch的过去式和过去分词) voter:n.选举人,投票人;有投票权者; registration:n.登记;注册;挂号;
This is a real rural village. 那是很原始的村莊
And the theme they used was: "Even pretty girls vote." 她們使用的標語是 連漂亮女孩都會投票
They were able to mobilize young women. 她們成功動員了年輕的女人
mobilize:v.动员;动员;调动;组织;鼓动;调用;
But not only did they do that, they went to those who were running for seats to ask them, "What is it that you will give the girls of this community when you win?" 但她們做的不只是這樣 她們去找那些出來競選的人 去問他們: 你們當選後 能給這個部落的女孩子 什麼東西?
And one of the guys who already had a seat was very -- because Liberia has one of the strongest rape laws, and he was one of those really fighting in parliament to overturn that law because he called it barbaric . 他們其中一個 已經有其他職位的人,非常的 因為利比亞有最嚴厲的強暴法 而他是真的在國會裡力爭的人之一 想要推翻這些法律 因為他認為那是野蠻行為
parliament:n.议会,国会; overturn:vt.推翻;倾覆;破坏;vi.推翻;倾覆;n.倾覆;周转;破灭; barbaric:adj.野蛮的,粗野的;原始的;
Rape is not barbaric, but the law, he said, was barbaric. 強暴不是野蠻行為,但是他說,那些法律是野蠻行為
And when the girls started engaging him, he was very hostile towards them. 女孩開始跟他交手的時候 他對她們很不友善
engaging:adj.有趣的; v.吸引住(注意力、兴趣); (engage的现在分词) hostile:adj.敌意的; n.敌对分子;
These little girls turned to him and said, "We will vote you out of office." 那些年輕女孩轉頭對他說 我們會用選票趕走你
He's out of office today. 現在的他沒有職位
(Applause) (掌聲)
CA: Leymah, thank you. Thank you so much for coming to TED. 克里斯:蕾曼,謝謝妳,非常感謝妳來到TED
LG: You're welcome. (CA: Thank you.) 蕾曼: 不客氣。(克里斯:謝謝妳)
(Applause) (掌聲)