返回首页

LevonBiss_2017-_令人惊艷的昆虫放大照片_

So, I had been a photographer for 18 years before I began the Microsculpture Project. 我当摄影师 已经十八年了。 这是在我开始微雕塑计画之前。
And in that time, I had shot global ad campaigns, 那时我拍过全球的广告活动,
global:adj.全球的;总体的;球形的;
I had the opportunity to photograph some of my generation's icons, and I was traveling the world. 有机会拍过我那个世代的偶像, 也环游过世界。
I got to a point in my career that I dreamed of getting to, and yet, for some reason, I still felt a little bit unfulfilled . 我已达到了梦想要达到的目标, 但不知为何,内心仍感到些许空虚。
career:n.职业;事业;生涯;经历; unfulfilled:adj.未得到满足的;没有成就感的;
Despite the extraordinary things I was shooting and experiencing, they'd started to feel a little bit ordinary to me. 尽管我拍摄过、 经历过许多不凡的事物, 却开始觉得它们有点平凡了。
Despite:prep.尽管,不管;n.轻视;憎恨;侮辱; extraordinary:adj.非凡的;特别的;离奇的;临时的;特派的;
I was also getting concerned about how disposable photography had started to feel in the digital world, and I really wanted to produce images that had a sense of worth again. 我也开始担心 在数位世界中,人们对于 过目即逝的照片有什么感受, 我也真的想再创造出 一些有价值感的影像。
concerned:adj.有关的;关心的;v.关心;与…有关;(concern的过去时和过去分词) disposable:adj.可任意处理的;可自由使用的;用完即可丢弃的; photography:n.摄影;摄影术; digital:adj.数字的;手指的;n.数字;键; images:n.印象;声誉;形象;画像;雕像;(image的第三人称单数和复数)
And I needed a subject that felt extraordinary. 我需要感觉不凡的题材。
Sometimes I wish I had the eyes of a child. 有时我希望能有孩童的眼睛。
And by that I mean, I wish I could look at the world in the same as I did when I was a small boy. 意思是我希望现在还能用 小时候看世界的方式来看世界。
I think there is a danger, as we get older, that our curiosity becomes slightly muted or dulled by familiarity . 我认为随着长大,会有一种危机, 熟悉度会让我们的好奇心 变得有些抑制或迟钝。
curiosity:n.好奇,好奇心;珍品,古董,古玩; slightly:adv.些微地,轻微地;纤细地; muted:adj.减轻的; v.消音; (mute的过去分词和过去式) dulled:adj.钝的; vt.使迟钝; vi.减少; familiarity:n.熟悉,精通;亲密;随便;
And as a visual creator, one of the challenges for me is to present the familiar in a new and engaging way. 身为视觉创作者,我的挑战之一, 是用新的、吸引人的方式 来呈现熟悉的东西。
visual:adj.视觉的,视力的;栩栩如生的; engaging:adj.有趣的; v.吸引住(注意力、兴趣); (engage的现在分词)
Fortunately for me, though, I've got two great kids who are still curious about the world. 不过,我很幸运有两个很棒的孩子, 他们仍然对世界感到好奇。
Fortunately:adv.幸运地; curious:adj.好奇的,有求知欲的;古怪的;爱挑剔的;
Sebastian -- he's still curious about the world, and in 2014, in spring, he brought in a ground beetle from the garden. 赛巴斯汀仍然对世界感到好奇。 他从花园里带回了一只步行虫。
beetle:n.甲壳虫;adj.突出的;愁眉苦脸的;v.快速移动
There was nothing particularly special about this insect -- you know, it was a common species . 这只昆虫没什么特别的地方, 是一种常见的品种。
particularly:adv.特别地,独特地;详细地,具体地;明确地,细致地; species:n.[生物]物种;种类;
But he was still curious, and he brought it up to my office, and we decided to look at it under his microscope . 但他仍然感到好奇, 他将这只虫带进我的办公室, 我们决定用他的显微镜来檢视牠。
microscope:n.显微镜;
He had a little science kit for Christmas. 他在圣诞节时得到了 一小套科学装备。
kit:v.装备;n.成套工具;配套元件;成套设备;全套衣服及装备;
And this is what we saw. 这是我们所看到的。
Now, when I first saw this, it blew me away. 第一次看到这影像时,我好惊艷。
Up here -- this is the back of the ground beetle. 上面这里-这是步行虫的背。
When I first saw it, it reminded me of a galaxy . 初次看到它时,我联想到银河。
reminded:v.提醒;使想起;(remind的过去分词和过去式) galaxy:n.银河;[天]星系;银河系;一群显赫的人;
And all the time, this had just been outside our window. 而这影像其实一直都在我们的窗外。
You know, I was looking for this extraordinary subject, and it took Seb's eyes and curiosity to bring it in to me. 我当时在寻找不凡的题材, 结果是赛巴斯汀的眼睛和好奇心, 把它带到我面前。
So I decided to photograph it for him, and this is what I produced. 我决定为他拍这只虫, 而这是我拍出的成果。
I basically asked myself two simple questions. 基本上,我问自己两个简单的问题。
basically:adv.主要地,基本上;
The first one: 第一:
Could I take all my knowledge and skill of photographic lighting and take that onto a subject that's five millimeters long? 能不能把我对于摄影光线的 所有知识和技巧 用在只有 5mm 长度的题材上?
photographic:adj.摄影的;逼真的;(尤指记忆)详细准确的; millimeters:n.毫米;(millimeter的复数)
But also: Could I keep creative control over that lighting on a subject that size? 还有:我能把灯光的创意控制 好好的用在这种尺寸上吗?
creative:adj.创造性的;
So I practiced on some other found specimens , and I approached the Oxford University Museum of Natural History to see if I could have access to their collection, to progress the project. 所以我找了一些标本来练习, 我也联络了牛津大学 自然历史博物馆, 看能不能让我用他们的收藏 来进展计画。
specimens:n.[试验]试样,[图情]样本(specimen的复数); approached:v.走近;临近;探讨;建议;(approach的过去分词和过去式) Natural History:n.自然史;
And I went up there for a meeting, and I showed them some of the images that I'd been shooting, and they could see the kind of detail I was able to get. 我去那里开了一场会, 让他们看些我拍摄的作品, 了解我能追求到的细节。
I don't think they'd ever really seen anything quite like it before, and from that point forward, they gave me open access to their entire collection and the assistance of Dr. James Hogan , their entomologist . 我想他们未曾看过类似的东西, 从那之后, 他们就开放了所有收藏供我使用, 还让他们的昆虫学家 詹姆士霍根博士来协助我。
Hogan:n.泥盖木屋; entomologist:n.昆虫学者;
Now, over the next two-and-a-half years, 接下来的两年半,
I shot 37 insects from their collection. 我拍摄了他们收藏中的 37 只昆虫。
And the way I work is that I essentially split the insect up into multiple sections, and I treat each one of those sections like a small still life . 我的做法基本上是 把昆虫分为几个部份, 把每一部份都当作 一个小型静止的生命来看待。
essentially:adv.本质上;本来; split:v.分离;使分离;劈开;离开;分解;n.劈开;裂缝;adj.劈开的; multiple:adj.数量多的;多种多样的;n.倍数; treat:v.治疗;处理;招待;款待;n.款待;乐事;乐趣; still life:静物;静物画;
So for example, if I was photographing the eye of the insect, which is normally quite smooth and dome-shaped , then I'd use a light source that is large and soft and diffuse , so I don't get any harsh hot spots on that surface. 比如,如果我要拍昆虫的眼睛, 它通常很平滑且是半球形的, 我选用的光源就是 大型、柔和、扩散的光源, 不让表面上出现任何刺目的热点。
normally:adv.正常地;通常地,一般地; dome-shaped:圆顶状;圆顶状的; source:n.来源;水源;原始资料; diffuse:adj.弥漫的;散开的;v.扩散;传播;漫射; harsh:adj.严厉的;严酷的;刺耳的;粗糙的;刺目的;
But once my attention turns over to a hairy leg, that lighting setup will change completely. 一旦我的注意力转向有毛的足部时, 光线的设定就会完全改变。
And so I make that one tiny section look as beautiful as I possibly can, and I work my way across the insect until I have about 20 or 25 different sections. 尽可能让每一个小部份 都看起来非常美丽, 然后我继续在昆虫全身这样做, 直到我完成 20 或 25 个 不同的部份。
The issue with photography at high magnification is that there is inherently a very shallow depth of field . 高倍放大的照片有个问题, 就是本质上景深很浅。
issue:n.重要议题;争论的问题;v.宣布;公布;发出;发行; magnification:n.放大;放大率;放大的复制品; inherently:adv.内在地;固有地;天性地; depth of field:n.景深(照相机能同时清晰拍摄的最近和最远物体之间的距离);
So to get around that, what I do is, 为解决这个问题,
get around:到处走走;逃避;说服;传开来(等于getround);有办法应付;有办法应付局面;
I put my camera on a rail that I can automate to move 10 microns in between each shot. 我的做法把相机放在轨道上, 在拍摄两张照片之间 自动移动十微米,
automate:v.使自动化; microns:n.微米(micron的复数);
That's about one-seventh the width of a human hair. 约是人类头发宽度的七分之一。
width:n.宽度;广度;某一宽度的材料;(游泳池两长边之间的)池宽;
And then that provides me with a deep stack of images. 那给了我厚厚一迭的影像。
stack:n.堆栈;一摞;大量;许多;v.(使)放成整齐的一叠(或一摞,一堆);
Each has a tiny sliver of focus all the way through. 一路下来的焦距有微少的差距。
And I can squash that down to produce one image that is fully focused from front to back. 我可以把它们压在一起, 产生一张从前面到后面 完整焦距的影像。
squash:v.镇压;使沉默;受挤压;挤入;n.壁球;挤压;咯吱声;南瓜属植物;(英)果汁饮料;
So essentially, that gives me 25 sections that are fully focused and beautifully lit. 基本上,我有 25 个焦距完整、 灯光漂亮的局部影像。
Now, each one of my images is made up of anywhere between 8- and 10,000 separate shots. 此时,我的每一张影像 都是大约八千到一万张照片组成的。
made up of:由…组成,由…构成;
They take about three-and-a-half weeks to create, and the file sizes on average are about four gigabytes . 要花三周半的时间才能完成, 平均的檔案大小约是 4GB。
gigabytes:n.千兆字节(gigabyte的复数);十亿位元组;
So I've got plenty of information to play with when I'm printing. 我有很多资讯可以在列印时摆弄。
And the prints at the exhibition are around the three-meter mark. 展览用的列印成品大约是三公尺长。
In fact, I had a show in Milan two weeks ago, and we had some prints there that were nine meters long. 事实上,两周前我在米兰有场展出, 有些列印出来的展品长达九公尺。
But, you know, I realize that these images still have to work in the digital world. 但我了解 这些影像仍需要用在数位世界里。
There's no point in me putting all my blood, sweat and tears into these pictures if they're only going to be showing 500 pixels on a screen. 如果我投入血、汗和泪水的图片 只呈现在 500 像素的萤幕上, 实在没有意义。
pixels:n.像素(组成屏幕图像的最小独立元素);(pixel的复数)
So with the help of Rob Chandler and Will Cookson, we developed a website that enables the viewer to immerse themselves into the full four-gigabyte files, and they can explore all that microscopic detail. 所以,在罗勃尚德勒和 威尔庫克森的协助下, 我们开发了一个网站, 让观者能够沉浸到 完整的 4GB 檔案当中, 他们能够探索所有的显微镜细节。
enables:v.使得; (enable的第三人称单数) immerse:vt.沉浸;使陷入; explore:v.探索:探测:探险: microscopic:adj.微观的;用显微镜可见的;
So if you have the time, and I encourage you, please visit microsculpture.net and go and have a play. 如果你们有时间, 我鼓励你们造访 microsculpture.net, 去玩看看。
It's good fun. 很有趣。
I first showed the work at Oxford, and since then, it's moved on to the Middle East . 我最初是在牛津展出, 接着,就开始前进中东。
Middle East:n.中东(包括亚洲西南部和非洲东北部);
It's now back in Europe and goes to Copenhagen this month. 现在回来欧洲, 这个月在哥本哈根展出。
Copenhagen:n.哥本哈根(丹麦首都);
And the feedback has been great. 我得到的回馈都很棒。
feedback:n.反馈;反馈意见;回授;[电子]反馈;
You know, I get emails, actually, from all over the world -- from teachers, at the moment, who are using the website in school. 我收到来自世界各地的电子邮件, 多半来自在学校 用那个网站的老师们。
The kids are using them on the tablet . 孩子们用平板电脑来上网站,
tablet:n.碑;药片;写字板;小块;
They're zooming into the pictures and using it for art class, biology class. 把图片放大, 用在美术课、生物课。
biology:n.(一个地区全部的)生物;生物学;
And that's not something I planned. 那不在我的计画之中,
That's just a beautiful offshoot of the project. 只是这个计画的美丽衍生物。
offshoot:n.分支;支流;衍生物;
In fact, one of the things I like to do at the exhibitions is actually look at the kiddies' reactions . 事实上,我喜欢在展览会场 看孩子们的反应。
reactions:n.反应;回应;抗拒;生理反应;副作用(reaction的复数)
And, you know, standing in front of a three-meter insect, they could have been horrified . 他们站在三公尺大的昆虫前面 很可能会吓坏。
horrified:adj.惊骇的;带有恐怖感的;v.惊骇(horrify的过去式和过去分词);使…战悚;
But they're not. They look in wonder. 结果没有。
This little chap here, he stood there for five minutes, motionless . 这个小家伙一动也不动地 站在那里足足五分钟。
chap:n.小伙子;家伙;龟裂;v.使皲裂;皲裂; motionless:adj.静止的;不运动的;
(Laughter) (笑声)
And at the end of the day, actually, at the end of the day at the exhibitions, we have to wipe down the lower third of the big prints -- 在那天结束时,在展览那天结束时, 我们得要擦拭大型展品的 下面三分之一那部份。
wipe:v.擦;抹;拭;消除;n.擦;拭;揩;(湿)抹布;
(Laughter) (笑声)
just to remove all those sticky handprints , because all they want to do is touch those big bugs . 擦掉那些黏黏的手印, 因为他们想摸那些大昆虫。
sticky:adj.粘的;粘性的; handprints:n.手印;手印的; bugs:n.缺陷;虫子;窃听器;(bug的复数)v.窃听;使烦恼;(bug的第三人称单数)
I do want to leave you with one final image, if that's OK. 如果可以的话, 我想给各位看最后一张影像。
This has to do with Charles Darwin. 这和达尔文有关,
One of the recent images that I photographed was this one here. 是我近期所拍摄的影像, 就是这张。
I'm talking about the creature in the box, not my cat. 我说的是盒子里的生物, 不是我的猫。
creature:n.生物;动物;(具有某种特征的)人;
And this is a shield bug that Charles Darwin brought back from Australia on the HMS Beagle in 1836. 这是桩象(臭虫), 是达尔文在 1836 年搭小猎犬号 从澳洲带回来的。
shield:n.盾;防护物;保护者;v.遮蔽;包庇;避开;保卫; Beagle:n.(一种猎兔用)小猎犬;密探;警官;vi.打探消息;由小猎犬指引追猎;
And when I got it home, 当我回到家,
I stood in my kitchen and stared at it for about 20 minutes. 我站在厨房里, 盯着牠看约二十分钟。
stared:v.盯着看;凝视;注视;(stare的过去分词和过去式)
I couldn't believe I was in possession of this beautiful creature. 我无法相信我拥有 这只美丽的小生物。
in possession of:拥有,占有;
And at that moment, I kind of realized that this validated the project for me. 那一刻,我了解到, 牠为我认可了这个计画。
validated:v.证实;确认;使生效;批准;认可;(validate的过去分词和过去式)
The fact that the museum was willing to risk me playing with this kind of showed me that my images had worth -- you know, they weren't disposable. 博物馆愿意冒险让我拍摄牠, 某种程度就表示我的影像有价值, 并不是一次即丢的。
That's the image that I produced. 这就是我制作的影像。
I often wonder, still, when I look at this: 看着这个影像时,我仍然常会好奇:
What would Charles Darwin make of these images? 达尔文对这些影像会有什么看法?
Do you think he'd like his picture of his shield bug? I hope so. 你认为他会喜欢他的桩象的照片吗?
So -- 所以...
(Applause) (掌声)
You know, I think it's strange in a way. 有件事我觉得蛮奇怪的。
I'm a visual person, I'm a creative person, but I still needed the eyes of a child to find my extraordinary subject. 我是个视觉性的人、有创意的人, 但我仍然需要孩童的眼睛 来找到不凡的题材。
That's the way it was. 之前就是这样。
So all I can say is, thank you very much, Sebastian; 所以我能说的就是,
I am very, very grateful. 我非常感恩。
Thank you. 谢谢。
(Applause) (掌声)