|
|
LeeCronin_2011G-_让物质具有生命_
|
What I'm going to try and do in the next 15 minutes or so is tell you about an idea of how we're going to make matter come alive. |
我在接下来的15分钟准备做的 就是告诉你们一个 关于人们如何让物质具有生命的理念 |
Now this may seem a bit ambitious , but when you look at yourself, you look at your hands, you realize that you're alive. |
这理念听起来可能有些野心勃勃 可是当你看着自己,看着自己的双手 你意识到你是活着的 |
ambitious:adj.野心勃勃的;有雄心的;热望的;炫耀的;
|
So this is a start. |
这便是我们理念的开始 |
Now this quest started four billion years ago on planet Earth. |
对这种理念的探寻始于四十亿年前的地球上 |
quest:n.追求;寻找;vi.追求;寻找;vt.探索;
|
There's been four billion years of organic , biological life. |
在过去的四十亿年中 生命是有机的,生物上的概念 |
organic:adj.有机的;不使用化肥的;绿色的;有机物的;n.分子有机体; biological:adj.生物学的;生物的;与生命过程有关的;加酶的;n.[药]生物制品;
|
And as an inorganic chemist , my friends and colleagues make this distinction between the organic, living world and the inorganic, dead world. |
作为一名无机化学家 我的朋友和同事在 有机的,有生命的世界 和无机的,死得世界间做出了区分。 |
inorganic:adj.[无化]无机的;无生物的; chemist:n.化学家;药剂师;药房;化学师; colleagues:n.同事;同行(colleague的复数); distinction:n.区别;区分;差别;卓越;
|
And what I'm going to try and do is plant some ideas about how we can transform inorganic, dead matter into living matter, into inorganic biology . |
我接下来要做的就是播种一些思想 关于我们如何能将无机的、没有生命的物质 转化为有生命的物质、转化为无机生物学。 |
transform:v.使改变;使改观;使转换;n.[数]变换式;[化]反式; biology:n.(一个地区全部的)生物;生物学;
|
So before we do that, |
所以在我们开始之前, |
I want to kind of put biology in its place. |
我想要摆正一下生物学的位置。 |
And I'm absolutely enthralled by biology. |
我完全为生物学而着迷。 |
absolutely:adv.绝对地;完全地; enthralled:adj.被迷住的;v.迷住;奴役;吸引住;(enthral的过去分词)
|
I love to do synthetic biology. |
我喜欢合成生物学。 |
synthetic:adj.综合的;合成的,人造的;n.合成物;
|
I love things that are alive. |
我爱有生命的东西。 |
I love manipulating the infrastructure of biology. |
我喜欢研究生物学的基础领域。 |
manipulating:v.(暗中)控制,操纵,影响;正骨;治疗脱臼;(manipulate的现在分词) infrastructure:n.基础设施;公共建设;下部构造;
|
But within that infrastructure, we have to remember that the driving force of biology is really coming from evolution . |
但是在基础领域里, 我们必须记得, 生物学的驱动力 事实上来自于进化。 |
evolution:n.演变;进化;发展;渐进;
|
And evolution, although it was established well over 100 years ago by Charles Darwin and a vast number of other people, evolution still is a little bit intangible . |
而进化, 尽管它的理论在一百年以前就被查尔斯.达尔文 和许多其他的科学家所建立和完善 进化论依然有一点点抽象。 |
established:adj.已确立的;著名的;v.建立;创立;设立;(establish的过去分词和过去式) intangible:adj.无形的,触摸不到的;难以理解的;
|
And when I talk about Darwinian evolution, |
当我谈到达尔文的进化论时, |
Darwinian:adj.达尔文的;达尔文学说的;n.进化论者;
|
I mean one thing and one thing only, and that is survival of the fittest. |
我仅仅指的是一个论点, 即适者生存。 |
survival:n.幸存,残存;幸存者,残存物;
|
And so forget about evolution in a kind of metaphysical way. |
所以不要用 形而上学的方法来研究进化论。 |
metaphysical:adj.形而上学的;超自然的;玄学派诗歌的;
|
Think about evolution in terms of offspring competing , and some winning. |
当想到进化时, 要从子孙后代彼此竞争, 同时产生一些赢家的角度来考虑。 |
offspring:n.后代,子孙;产物; competing:adj.相互冲突的;相互矛盾的;v.竞争;对抗;参加比赛;(compete的现在分词)
|
So bearing that in mind, as a chemist, I wanted to ask myself the question frustrated by biology: |
这一点我牢记心中 作为一个化学家的我,不禁扪心自问, 这个被生物学忽视掉的问题: |
bearing:n.关系;影响;姿态;举止v.承受;忍受;承担责任;(bear的现在分词) frustrated:adj.失意的,挫败的;泄气的;v.挫败;阻挠;(frustrate的过去式和过去分词)
|
What is the minimal unit of matter that can undergo Darwinian evolution? |
什么是最小的 且能适应达尔文进化论的物质单元? |
minimal:adj.最低的;最小限度的; undergo:vt.经历,经受;忍受;
|
And this seems quite a profound question. |
这是个看起来有些深奥的问题。 |
profound:adj.深厚的;意义深远的;渊博的;
|
And as a chemist, we're not used to profound questions everyday. |
作为一个化学家, 我们并不是每天都思考这样深奥的问题。 |
So when I thought about it, then suddenly I realized that biology gave us the answer. |
所以当我考虑它的时候, 我忽然意识到, 生物学给了我们答案。 |
And in fact, the smallest unit of matter that can evolve independently is, in fact, a single cell -- a bacteria . |
事实上,最小的 可以独立进化的物质单元, 是一个单细胞—— 细菌。 |
evolve:v.(使)逐渐形成;进化;进化形成; independently:adv.独立地;自立地; bacteria:n.[微]细菌;
|
So this raises three really important questions: |
这既引出了三个十分重要的问题。 |
What is life? |
生命是什么? |
Is biology special? |
生物是独一无二的吗? |
Biologists seem to think so. |
生物学家当然这样认为。 |
Biologists:n.生物学家(biologist的复数);
|
Is matter evolvable ? |
物质是可以进化的吗? |
evolvable:adj.[数]可展开的;
|
Now if we answer those questions in reverse order, the third question -- is matter evolvable? -- if we can answer that, then we're going to know how special biology is, and maybe, just maybe, we'll have some idea of what life really is. |
现在如果我们以倒序来回答这些问题, 第三个问题——生命是可以演化的吗? 如果我们能回答这个问题, 我们便可以知道生物学究竟有多特殊, 同时可能,仅仅是可能, 我们能够一窥生命的本质。 |
reverse:n.反面; v.颠倒; adj.相反的;
|
So here's some inorganic life. |
这里有一些无机生命。 |
This is a dead crystal , and I'm going to do something to it, and it's going to become alive. |
这是一个没有生命的晶体。 我准备在它身上加工一下, 它就会变得具有生命。 |
crystal:n.水晶; adj.晶莹的;
|
And you can see, it's kind of pollinating , germinating , growing. |
你可以看到 这个过程有点像授粉、发芽和成长。 |
pollinating:vt.对...授粉; germinating:n.发芽;adj.发芽的;v.使发芽(germinate的ing形式);
|
This is an inorganic tube. |
这是一个无机晶体管。 |
And all these crystals here under the microscope were dead a few minutes ago, and they look alive. |
这些放在显微镜下的晶体, 都在几分钟前死掉了,但他们看起来依旧鲜活。 |
crystals:n.[晶体]晶体(crystal的复数形式);石英晶体; microscope:n.显微镜;
|
Of course, they're not alive. |
当然,他们并非真的活着 |
It's a chemistry experiment where I've made a crystal garden. |
这个化学实验里我制造一个晶体花园 |
But when I saw this, I was really fascinated, because it seemed lifelike . |
但是当我看到这里,我完全被迷住了, 因为他们看起来栩栩如生。 |
lifelike:adj.栩栩如生的;逼真的;
|
And as I pause for a few seconds, have a look at the screen. |
暂停一下我们看看屏幕 |
have a look at:看一看,看一眼;
|
You can see there's architecture growing, filling the void . |
你们可以看到它的架构正在成长,逐渐将空白处填满。 |
architecture:n.建筑学;建筑风格;建筑式样;架构; void:adj.空的;无效的;无人的;n.空虚;空间;空隙;v.使无效;排放;
|
And this is dead. |
但它没有生命。 |
So I was positive that, if somehow we can make things mimic life, let's go one step further. |
所以我十分乐观, 如果我们可以以某种方式模拟生命, 我们未尝不能再往前走一步。 |
positive:adj.积极的;[数]正的,[医][化学]阳性的;确定的;n.正数;[摄]正片; somehow:adv.以某种方法;莫名其妙地; mimic:vt.模仿,摹拟;n.效颦者,模仿者;仿制品;小丑;adj.模仿的,模拟的;假装的;
|
Let's see if we can actually make life. |
让我们看看,能不能真的制造生命。 |
But there's a problem, because up until maybe a decade ago, we were told that life was impossible and that we were the most incredible miracle in the universe. |
但是依然存在一个问题, 因为大概在十年前 我们得知生命是不可能形成的 并且我们是宇宙中最难以置信的奇迹 |
incredible:adj.难以置信的,惊人的; miracle:n.奇迹,奇迹般的人或物;惊人的事例;
|
In fact, we were the only people in the universe. |
事实上,我们是浩瀚宇宙中的 唯一生物 |
Now, that's a bit boring . |
这有点无趣了 |
boring:adj.无聊的;令人厌烦的;n.钻孔;v.使厌烦;钻孔;(bore的现在分词)
|
So as a chemist, |
作为一个化学家 |
I wanted to say, "Hold on. What is going on here? |
我想说,“等等,怎么回事? |
Is life that improbable ?" |
生命真的是无法形成的吗?” |
improbable:adj.不大可能的,未必确实的;不可信的;
|
And this is really the question. |
这正是问题所在 |
I think that perhaps the emergence of the first cells was as probable as the emergence of the stars. |
我想也许第一个细胞的形成 正如第一颗行星的出现一样 |
emergence:n.出现,浮现;发生;露头;
|
And in fact, let's take that one step further. |
事实上,让我们更进一步的思考 |
Let's say that if the physics of fusion is encoded into the universe, maybe the physics of life is as well. |
比如说 如果聚变物理学 蕴含在宇宙的编码之中 也许生命的物理学也是如此 |
fusion:n.融合;熔化;熔接;融合物;[物]核聚变; encoded:adj.[计]编码的;v.把…编码(encode的过去分词);
|
And so the problem with chemists -- and this is a massive advantage as well -- is we like to focus on our elements . |
所以化学家的任务 同时也是一种巨大的优势 便是我们要将重点放在化学元素上 |
chemists:n.化学家(chemist的复数);药剂师; massive:adj.大量的;巨大的,厚重的;魁伟的; advantage:n.有利条件:优势:优点: elements:n.要素;基本部分;少量;一群;(element的复数)
|
In biology, carbon takes center stage. |
在生物学领域,碳是中心 |
carbon:n.[化学]碳;碳棒;复写纸;adj.碳的;碳处理的;
|
And in a universe where carbon exists and organic biology, then we have all this wonderful diversity of life. |
并且在碳 和有机生物存在的宇宙中 我们能看到这美妙的生命多样性。 |
diversity:n.差异(性):多样性:多样化:
|
In fact, we have such amazing lifeforms that we can manipulate . |
事实上,我们能够掌控如此奇妙的生命形式。 |
manipulate:vt.操纵;操作;巧妙地处理;篡改;
|
We're awfully careful in the lab to try and avoid various biohazards. |
实验室里,我们极其小心的 去尝试和避免各种各样的生物危害。 |
awfully:adv.非常;极其;
|
Well what about matter? |
那物质方面呢? |
If we can make matter alive, would we have a matterhazard? |
如果我们能够赋予物质生命,我们会不会面临物质危害? |
So think, this is a serious question. |
所以,请认真思考一下,这个严肃的问题。 |
If your pen could replicate , that would be a bit of a problem. |
如果你的笔能够自我复制 那确实会产生一些问题 |
replicate:vt.复制; vi.重复; adj.复制的; n.复制品;
|
So we have to think differently if we're going to make stuff come alive. |
所以我们必须从不同的角度进行思考 如果我们想要赋予物质生命 |
stuff:n.东西:物品:基本特征:v.填满:装满:标本:
|
And we also have to be aware of the issues . |
我们必须对可能产生的问题谨慎看待 |
issues:n.重要议题;争论的问题;v.宣布;公布;发出;(issue的第三人称单数和复数)
|
But before we can make life, let's think for a second what life is really characterized by. |
但是在我们能够制造生命以前 让我们先想一想 生命的特质为何 |
characterized:adj.以…为特点的;
|
And forgive the complicated diagram. |
原谅我不得不给你们看这些复杂的图表 |
forgive:v.原谅;免除(债务,义务等); complicated:adj.复杂的;难懂的;v.使复杂化;(complicate的过去分词和过去式)
|
This is just a collection of pathways in the cell. |
这只是一张细胞内代谢路径的总图 |
pathways:n.小路;小径(pathway的复数);
|
And the cell is obviously for us a fascinating thing. |
并且细胞对于我们而言 很明显是令人着迷的东西 |
fascinating:adj.极有吸引力的;迷人的;v.深深吸引;迷住;(fascinate的现在分词)
|
Synthetic biologists are manipulating it. |
合成化学家正对细胞进行操作。 |
Chemists are trying to study the molecules to look at disease . |
化学家正试图通过研究分子来探究疾病。 |
molecules:n.[化学]分子,微粒;[化学]摩尔(molecule的复数); disease:n.病,[医]疾病;弊病;vt.传染;使…有病;
|
And you have all these pathways going on at the same time . |
并且在你体内正同时进行着这些代谢路径。 |
at the same time:同时;另一方面;与此同时;
|
You have regulation; information is transcribed; catalysts are made; stuff is happening. |
你的身体可以进行调控 转录信息 制造催化剂、并产生各种机能。 |
catalysts:[物化]催化剂;
|
But what does a cell do? |
但是细胞能做什么? |
Well it divides, it competes , it survives. |
它会分裂、彼此竞争、 最后存活下来。 |
competes:竞争;争夺;
|
And I think that is where we have to start in terms of thinking about building from our ideas in life. |
我认为这是我们 创造生命的想法的 起点 |
But what else is life characterized by? |
但是生命的特质还有哪些? |
Well, I like think of it as a flame in a bottle. |
我喜欢将它想象成 在瓶子里的一束火焰。 |
and so what we have here is a description of single cells replicating , metabolizing , burning through chemistries. |
我们在图中看到的是 对单细胞 的复制、代谢 和通过化学反应燃烧的过程的描绘。 |
description:n.说明;形容;描写(文字);类型; replicating:n.八音阶间隔的反复音; adj.复制的; v.复制(replicate的ing形式); metabolizing:vt.使新陈代谢;使变形;vi.新陈代谢;
|
And so we have to understand that if we're going to make artificial life or understand the origin of life, we need to power it somehow. |
因此我们必须理解 如果我们想要人工制造生命或理解生命的起源 我们必须通过某种方式提供能量。 |
artificial:adj.人造的;仿造的;虚伪的;非原产地的;武断的; origin:n.起源;起因;源头;出身;
|
So before we can really start to make life, we have to really think about where it came from. |
所以在我们真正能够制造生命以前, 我们必须认真想一想它来自何方。 |
And Darwin himself mused in a letter to a colleague that he thought that life probably emerged in some warm little pond somewhere -- maybe not in Scotland, maybe in Africa, maybe somewhere else. |
达尔文本人曾在一封给他同时的信中谈道 他认为生命可能从 一些小而温暖的池塘或其他地方演化而来 可能在苏格兰,可能在非洲 也可能在其他地方。 |
mused:n.沉思;冥想;vt.沉思;沉思地说;vi.沉思;凝望; emerged:v.(从隐蔽处或暗处)出现;暴露;露出真相;显现;(emerge的过去分词和过去式) pond:n.池塘;水池(尤指人工的);v.把…挖成池塘;堵(溪流)水成池;
|
But the real honest answer is, we just don't know, because there is a problem with the origin. |
但是最坦诚的答案是,我们无从得知。 因为生命的起源依旧是个问题。 |
Imagine way back four and a half billion years ago, there is a vast chemical soup of stuff. |
想象一下我们回到四十五亿年前, 只有一些化学物质的溶液。 |
chemical:n.化学制品,化学药品;adj.化学的;
|
And from this stuff we came. |
人类从中诞生。 |
So when you think about the improbable nature of what I'm going to tell you in the next few minutes, just remember, we came from stuff on planet Earth. |
如果你觉得接下来几分钟里我讲的内容 有些不大可能的话, 请记住 我们从地球上的物质中诞生。 |
And we went through a variety of worlds. |
我们经历了多种多样的世界。 |
variety:n.多样;种类;杂耍;变化,多样化;
|
The RNA people would talk about the RNA world. |
RNA研究者谈论着RNA世界 |
We somehow got to proteins and DNA. |
我们却不知怎么成为了蛋白质和DNA。 |
proteins:n.[生化]蛋白质(protein复数);
|
We then got to the last ancestor. |
接着出现了生命的始祖。 |
Evolution kicked in -- and that's the cool bit. |
进化开始了——这是关键。 |
And here we are. |
然后人类出现。 |
But there's a roadblock that you can't get past. |
但是依然存在着一个你无法逾越的障碍。 |
roadblock:n.路障;障碍物;vi.设置路障;
|
You can decode the genome , you can look back, you can link us all together by a mitochondrial DNA, but we can't get further than the last ancestor, the last visible cell that we could sequence or think back in history. |
你可以解码基因组,你可以回溯往昔, 你可以将我们所有人借由一个线粒体DNA联系在一起, 但是你无法追溯到第一个生命始祖以前, 这是 我们能基因测序和追溯历史的最后一个细胞。 |
decode:vt.[计][通信]译码,解码;vi.从事破译工作; genome:n.基因组;染色体组; mitochondrial:adj.线粒体的; visible:adj.明显的;看得见的;现有的;可得到的;n.可见物;进出口贸易中的有形项目; sequence:n.顺序; v.按顺序排列;
|
So we don't know how we got here. |
所以我们无从得知我们是怎么走到今天这一步的。 |
So there are two options : intelligent design, direct and indirect -- so God, or my friend. |
我们有两个选择: 直接或间接的智能设计论—— 要么是上帝 要么是我的朋友, |
options:n.选择; v.得到或获准进行选择; (option的三单形式) intelligent:adj.有才智的;悟性强的;聪明的;有智力的 indirect:adj.间接的;迂回的;非直截了当的;
|
Now talking about E.T. putting us there, or some other life, just pushes the problem further on. |
如果说是E.T.将我们,或其他的生命放在这里, 这就将问题更推进一步。 |
I'm not a politician , I'm a scientist. |
我不是政治家,我是一名科学家。 |
politician:n.政治家;(蔑)政客;(美)政治贩;
|
The other thing we need to think about is the emergence of chemical complexity . |
我们可以思考的另外一件事, 是化学复杂度的出现。 |
complexity:n.复杂性;难以理解的局势
|
This seems most likely. |
这似乎是最有可能的情形。 |
So we have some kind of primordial soup. |
因此地球上出现了某种原始汤 |
primordial:adj.原始的;根本的;原生的;
|
And this one happens to be a good source of all 20 amino acids. |
并且它碰巧是 所有20种氨基酸的最好的来源。 |
source:n.来源;水源;原始资料; amino:adj.氨基的;n.[化学]氨基;
|
And somehow these amino acids are combined, and life begins. |
并且通过某种方式, 这些氨基酸彼此结合 随后生命出现。 |
But life begins, what does that mean? |
但是生命的出现意味着什么? |
What is life? What is this stuff of life? |
什么是生命?形成生命的物质是什么? |
So in the 1950s, |
50年代, |
Miller-Urey did their fantastic chemical Frankenstein experiment, where they did the equivalent in the chemical world. |
Miller和Urey进行了一项奇特的化学怪人试验, 在试验中他们制造出一种相同的化学环境。 |
fantastic:奇异的,空想的 Frankenstein:n.毁灭创造者自己之物;作法自毙的人; equivalent:adj.等价的,相等的;同意义的;n.等价物,相等物;
|
They took the basic ingredients , put them in a single jar and ignited them and put a lot of voltage through. |
他们提取了一些基本的元素,将他们放到一个烧瓶里 随后将其点燃 并且通过了大量的电压。 |
ingredients:n.成分;(尤指烹饪)原料;(成功的)要素;(ingredient的复数) ignited:v.(使)燃烧,着火;点燃;(ignite的过去分词和过去式) voltage:n.电压;伏特数;
|
And they had a look at what was in the soup, and they found amino acids, but nothing came out, there was no cell. |
他们观察溶液中出现了什么, 于是他们发现了氨基酸。 但是没有其他东西出现,并没有细胞。 |
So the whole area's been stuck for a while , and it got reignited in the 80s when analytical technologies and computer technologies were coming on. |
因此整项研究停滞了一段时间。 直到80年代才重新开始, 正是分析技术和计算机科技正在发展的时期。 |
for a while:adv.片刻;暂时;一会儿;一时; reignited:vt.再次点燃;重新激起…;再点火; analytical:adj.分析的;解析的;善于分析的; technologies:n.技术;科技(technology的复数);
|
In my own laboratory , the way we're trying to create inorganic life is by using many different reaction formats. |
在我自己的实验室里, 我们创造物及生物的方式 是通过使用许多不同的反应形式。 |
laboratory:n.实验室,研究室; reaction:n.反应,感应;反动,复古;反作用;
|
So what we're trying to do is do reactions -- not in one flask, but in tens of flasks , and connect them together, as you can see with this flow system, all these pipes. |
因此我们正在做的是进行反应—— 不是在一个烧瓶中,而是在数十个烧瓶中, 并且让他们彼此相连, 正如你看见的这些流动系统一样,他们全部由管道连接。 |
reactions:n.反应;回应;抗拒;生理反应;副作用(reaction的复数) flasks:n.[分化]烧瓶;长颈瓶,细颈瓶;酒瓶,携带瓶; as you can see:正如你所看到的;你是知道的;
|
We can do it microfluidically, we can do it lithographically, we can do it in a 3D printer, we can do it in droplets for colleagues. |
我们可以通过微流体或平板印刷技术进行, 也可以用3D打印机来制作, 同时我们可以让同事们在滴液中操作。 |
droplets:n.[流]液滴(droplet的复数);飞沫;
|
And the key thing is to have lots of complex chemistry just bubbling away. |
而最关键的便是让一系列的化学反应 自然发生。 |
bubbling:v.起泡;冒泡;洋溢着(某种感情);(bubble的现在分词)
|
But that's probably going to end in failure, so we need to be a bit more focused. |
但这也很可能以失败告终。 所也我们需要更加努力。 |
And the answer, of course, lies with mice. |
至于答案,当然,就在老鼠身上。 |
This is how I remember what I need as a chemist. |
这让我想起我作为一个化学家所需要的一切东西。 |
I say, "Well I want molecules." |
我说,“我想制造分子。” |
But I need a metabolism , I need some energy. |
但是我需要一个新陈代谢系统,我需要一些能量。 |
metabolism:n.[生理]新陈代谢;
|
I need some information, and I need a container. |
我需要一些信息,我需要一个容器。 |
Because if I want evolution, |
因为如果我想要进化, |
I need containers to compete. |
我需要这些容器间彼此进行竞争。 |
So if you have a container, it's like getting in your car. |
如果你拥有一个容器, 就像你坐在你的车里。 |
'"This is my car, and I'm going to drive around and show off my car." |
说,“这是我的车”, “我想开着它转一转,并好好炫耀一番。” |
And I imagine you have a similar thing in cellular biology with the emergence of life. |
我会想在细胞生物学上 生命出现时 你也会是这样的 |
cellular:adj.细胞的;多孔的;由细胞组成的;n.移动电话;单元;
|
So these things together give us evolution, perhaps. |
所以也许这些事情共同使进化发生。 |
And the way to test it in laboratory is to make it minimal. |
并且检测它的方法便是在实验室里, 使其最小化。 |
So what we're going to try and do is come up with an inorganic Lego kit of molecules. |
所以我们接下来要尝试 捣鼓出一个无机的乐高分子积木 |
come up with:提出;想出;赶上; Lego:n.乐高积木(商标名); kit:v.装备;n.成套工具;配套元件;成套设备;全套衣服及装备;
|
And so forgive the molecules on the screen, but these are a very simple kit. |
请谅解这些屏幕上的分子, 但是它们只是一种很简单的积木。 |
There's only maybe three or four different types of building blocks present. |
现在可能只有三到四种不同的积木。 |
building blocks:(儿童玩的)积木;建筑砌块;堆积木;建筑砖块;基石;
|
And we can aggregate them together and make literally thousands and thousands of really big nano-molecular molecules the same size of DNA and proteins, but there's no carbon in sight. |
我们可以将他们组合在一起 并真实地制造出上千种 相当大的纳米分子 大小相当于DNA及蛋白质, 但是其里面不含碳元素。 |
aggregate:vi.集合; vt.集合; n.合计; adj.聚合的; literally:adv.按字面:字面上:确实地:
|
Carbon is bad. |
碳并不是什么好东西。 |
And so with this Lego kit, we have the diversity required for complex information storage without DNA. |
所以至于这个乐高积木, 我们需要它的复杂多样 来储存复杂的信息 而不需要DNA的参与。 |
But we need to make some containers. |
但是我们仍需要制作一些容器。 |
And just a few months ago in my lab, we were able to take these very same molecules and make cells with them. |
就在几个月前,在我的实验室, 我们可以以这些几乎相同的分子来制造细胞。 |
And you can see on the screen a cell being made. |
并且你可以从屏幕上看到一个细胞正在被制作出来。 |
And we're now going to put some chemistry inside and do some chemistry in this cell. |
我们准备在里面放上一些化学物质,并在细胞内进行一些化学反应。 |
And all I wanted to show you is we can set up molecules in membranes , in real cells, and then it sets up a kind of molecular Darwinism , a molecular survival of the fittest. |
我想要展示给你的是 我们能够建立分子 并置于细胞膜上,在真正的细胞里, 它能够建立一种适用达尔文主义的分子, 一种适者生存的分子。 |
membranes:n.细胞膜(membrane的复数);薄膜;膜皮; molecular:adj.[化学]分子的;由分子组成的; Darwinism:n.达尔文主义;进化论;达尔文学说;
|
And this movie here shows this competition between molecules. |
这部影片 展示了分子间的竞争 |
competition:n.竞争;比赛,竞赛;
|
Molecules are competing for stuff. |
分子间为了物质而竞争 |
They're all made of the same stuff, but they want their shape to win. |
他们都由同一种物质组成, 但他们希望以自己的形态取胜。 |
They want their shape to persist . |
他们想让自己的形态存活下来。 |
persist:v.保持;持续存在;维持;顽强地坚持;
|
And that is the key. |
那便是关键所在。 |
If we can somehow encourage these molecules to talk to each other and make the right shapes and compete, they will start to form cells that will replicate and compete. |
如果我们能够以某种方式鼓励这些分子 彼此连通、而后形成正确的形态并彼此竞争, 他们便会开始形成 可以自我复制和竞争的细胞。 |
If we manage to do that, forget the molecular detail. |
如果我们真的能够做到, 先别理会分子的细节。 |
Let's zoom out to what that could mean. |
让我们把回过头来看看那意味着什么。 |
So we have this special theory of evolution that applies only to organic biology, to us. |
我们已经了解这种狭义进化论 这种进化论只能被应用于有机生物学,我们身上 |
applies:v.适用;申请;运用;专心;(apply的第三人称单数)
|
If we could get evolution into the material world, then I propose we should have a general theory of evolution. |
如果我们能够使进化进入物质世界, 我建议我们应得到一种广义进化论。 |
propose:v.建议;提议;求婚;打算;
|
And that's really worth thinking about. |
这确实值得认真思考。 |
Does evolution control the sophistication of matter in the universe? |
进化会控制 宇宙中物质的复杂多样性吗? |
sophistication:n.复杂;诡辩;老于世故;有教养;
|
Is there some driving force through evolution that allows matter to compete? |
在进化的过程中是否存在某种推动力 让物质能够彼此竞争? |
So that means we could then start to develop different platforms for exploring this evolution. |
因此那意味着我们能够开始 开发出不同的平台 来探索这种进化。 |
platforms:n.平台; v.把…放在台上; exploring:v.探索:考察:探查;(explore的现在分词)
|
So you imagine, if we're able to create a self-sustaining artificial life form , not only will this tell us about the origin of life -- that it's possible that the universe doesn't need carbon to be alive; it can use anything -- |
所以你可以想象以下, 如果我们能够创造一种能够独立生存的人工生命形式, 这不仅能够告诉我们生命的起源—— 宇宙可能不需要碳便能存活 宇宙可以由任何元素形成 |
self-sustaining:adj.自立的;自谋生活的;自撑的; life form:n.生物;
|
we can then take it one step further and develop new technologies, because we can then use software control for evolution to code in. |
我们可以更进一步的开发新的技术, 因为我们能够用软件控制 将进化译成编码。 |
So imagine we make a little cell. |
所以想象一下我们制造了一个小小的细胞。 |
We want to put it out in the environment, and we want it to be powered by the Sun. |
我们希望将它放在自然环境中, 我们想让它由太阳来供给能量。 |
What we do is we involve it in a box with a light on. |
我们要做的是将它放在一个有光照的盒子里 |
involve:v.包含;需要;牵涉;牵连;影响;(使)参加;
|
And we don't use design anymore. We find what works. |
我们不需要任何其他的设计,便可以知道发生了什么。 |
We should take our inspiration from biology. |
我们应该从生物学中获取灵感。 |
Biology doesn't care about the design unless it works. |
设计在生物学中并不重要, 除非它实用 |
So this will reorganize the way we design things. |
所以这将重新建构 我们设计事物的方式。 |
reorganize:v.重新组织;改组;整顿;
|
But not only just that, we will start to think about how we can start to develop a symbiotic relationship with biology. |
但是不仅如此, 我们会开始思考 我们要怎样在生物学中发展出一种共生关系。 |
symbiotic:adj.[生态]共生的;共栖的;
|
Wouldn't it be great if you could take these artificial biological cells and fuse them with biological ones to correct problems that we couldn't really deal with? |
这不是很棒吗? 如果你能确实得到这些人工制造的生物细胞 并将他们同生物细胞相融合 从而修正那些我们未能真正解决的问题。 |
fuse:n.保险丝;导火线;v.(使)融合,熔断;熔接;
|
The real issue in cellular biology is we are never going to understand everything, because it's a multidimensional problem put there by evolution. |
细胞生物学的真正问题 在于我们从来没有试图理解过任何事情, 因为它是一个由进化产生的多维度问题。 |
multidimensional:adj.[数]多维的;多面的;
|
Evolution cannot be cut apart. |
进化不能被分割开来。 |
You need to somehow find the fitness function. |
你需要通过某种方式找到最合适的机能。 |
fitness:n.健康;适当;适合性;
|
And the profound realization for me is that, if this works, the concept of the selfish gene gets kicked up a level, and we really start talking about selfish matter. |
并且于我而言,最深层的体会 在于,如果这能成功的话, 自利基因的概念会成为众矢之的 因为这些是真正的自私基因 |
realization:n.实现;领悟; gene:n.基因;遗传基因;遗传因子;
|
And what does that mean in a universe where we are right now the highest form of stuff? |
在一个我们人类为最高物质形态的宇宙中 那意味着什么? |
You're sitting on chairs. |
你坐在椅子上。 |
They're inanimate , they're not alive. |
椅子是没有生命的,他们不是活着的。 |
inanimate:adj.无生命的;无生气的;
|
But you are made of stuff, and you are using stuff, and you enslave stuff. |
但是你是由物质组成的,并且你正在使用物质, 同时你奴役着物质。 |
enslave:v.使成为奴隶;奴役;使受控制;征服;
|
So using evolution in biology, and in organic biology, for me is quite appealing , quite exciting. |
所以使用进化这个概念 在生物学领域 和有机生物学领域 对我来说是非常有说服力,非常令人激动的。 |
appealing:adj.吸引人的; v.呼吁; (appeal的现在分词)
|
And we're really becoming very close to understanding the key steps that makes dead stuff come alive. |
同时我们彼此间变得十分紧密 从而理解这些 使无生命的物质具有生命的关键步骤。 |
And again, when you're thinking about how improbable this is, remember, five billion years ago, we were not here, and there was no life. |
再一次,当你觉得这不大可能的话 别忘了,50亿年前, 地球上没有人类,没有生命。 |
So what will that tell us about the origin of life and the meaning of life? |
所以这能告诉我们什么 关于生命的起源和含义? |
For perhaps, for me as a chemist, |
也许对于我一个化学家来说, |
I want to keep away from general terms; |
我不想仅是笼统的思考; |
I want to think about specifics . |
而是具体的思考这一点。 |
specifics:n.细节;特性(specific的复数);详情;
|
So what does it mean about defining life? |
给生命下个定义,这意味着什么? |
defining:v.解释(词语)的含义;给(词语)下定义;阐明;界定;(define的现在分词)
|
We really struggle to do this. |
我们真的尽了最大的努力去做这件事。 |
And I think, if we can make inorganic biology, and we can make matter become evolvable, that will in fact define life. |
我想,如果我们能够制造无机生物, 并且我们能让物质变得可以进化。 事实上我们已经能够定义生命。 |
define:v.定义;使明确;规定;
|
I purpose to you that matter that can evolve is alive, and this gives us the idea of making evolvable matter. |
我的目的是告诉你们 能够进化的物质就是有生命的, 并且这给了我们制造可进化物质的灵感。 |
Thank you very much. |
非常感谢。 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
Chris Anderson: Just a quick question on timeline . |
Chris Anderson:还有一个很短的问题。 |
timeline:n.时间轴,时间线;大事年表;
|
You believe you're going to be successful in this project? |
你相信你能在这个项目上取得成功吗? |
When? |
什么时候? |
Lee Cronin: So many people think that life took millions of years to kick in. |
Lee Cronin:很多人认为 生命用了数百万年的时间起作用。 |
We're proposing to do it in just a few hours, once we've set up the right chemistry. |
而我们的方法只要配置好 化学成分 几个小时就成 |
proposing:v.提议;建议;打算;计划;求婚;(propose的现在分词)
|
CA: And when do you think that will happen? |
CA:你认为那什么时候会发生? |
LC: Hopefully within the next two years. |
LC:希望在接下来的两年内。 |
CA: That would be a big story. |
CA:那一定是件大事。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
In your own mind, what do you believe the chances are that walking around on some other planet there is non-carbon-based life walking or oozing or something? |
在你看来,你相信这件事情发生的概率是多少 当你走在其他的星球上 发现并没有碳基生命 在行走或流动着? |
oozing:v.(浓液体)渗出,慢慢流出;洋溢着,充满(ooze的现在分词)
|
LC: I think it's 100 percent. |
LC:我认为是百分百可能。 |
Because the thing is, we are so chauvinistic to biology, if you take away carbon, there's other things that can happen. |
因为关键的是,我们在生物学领域太过沙文主义, 如果你去掉碳元素,会其他的事情发生。 |
chauvinistic:adj.沙文主义的;盲目爱国的;
|
So the other thing that if we were able to create life that's not based on carbon, maybe we can tell NASA what really to look for. |
所以那些其他的事情 如果我们能够创造非碳基生命, 也许我们能够告诉NASA到底要寻找什么。 |
Don't go and look for carbon, go and look for evolvable stuff. |
不要去找碳元素,去找一下可进化的物质。 |
CA: Lee Cronin, good luck. (LC: Thank you very much.) |
CA:Lee Cronin,祝你好运。(LC:非常感谢。) |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |