返回首页

LeahGeorges_2018X-_代际成见如何阻碍我们的工作_

So, for the first time in America's modern history, we have five generations interacting at work. 这是美国现代史上第一次, 工作环境中有五代人共存。
interacting:v.交流;沟通;合作;相互影响;(interact的现在分词)
The veterans , born between 1922 and 1943, are known as the Greatest Generation, the matures , the silents. 出生于1922-1943年间的老兵一代, 他们是最伟大的一代、 成熟的一代、沉默的一代。
veterans:n.老兵;退伍军人(veteran的复数形式); matures:成熟;
They're known for their self-sacrifice , respect for authority and work as its own reward . 他们牺牲自我、 尊重权威,以工作为荣。
self-sacrifice:n.自我牺牲;献身; authority:n.权威;权力;当局; reward:n.[劳经]报酬;报答;酬谢;v.[劳经]奖励;奖赏;
The boomers came shortly after, born between 1944 and 1960. 随后的1944-1960年, 美国迎来了婴儿潮一代。
This is a generation characterized by hard work. 这一代人工作勤奋。
characterized:adj.以…为特点的;
In fact, we can thank this generation for the term " workaholic ." 实际上,出现“工作狂”这个词 还得感谢他们。
workaholic:n.专心工作的人; adj.醉心于工作的;
They appreciate competition , they love effective communication. 他们注重竞争, 喜欢有效沟通。
appreciate:v.欣赏;感激;感谢;理解; competition:n.竞争;比赛,竞赛; effective:adj.有效的,起作用的;实际的,实在的;给人深刻印象;
And they're thinking towards retirement , if they haven't retired already. 那些还没退休的人 则畅想着退休后的生活。
retirement:n.退休;退职;退休年龄;退休生活;
Generation X is known as the lost generation the latchkey generation, born between 1961 and 1980. “X一代”也被称为 迷惘的一代、挂钥匙的一代, 他们出生于1961-1980年间。
Generation X:n.X一代(20世纪60年代初至70年代中期出生,缺乏人生目标和感到失落的人); latchkey:n.(尤指住所前门的)门锁钥匙;弹簧锁钥匙;
This is the smallest generation, sandwiched between boomers and the big millennials . 这一代人,人数最少, 介于婴儿潮一代和 庞大的千禧一代之间。
millennials:n.千禧世代;千禧之子;千禧一代(millennial的复数);
More parents were divorced in this generation than any generation prior . 这一代人的父母的离婚率 高于此前的任何一代。
prior:adj.先前的; n.(小隐修院)院长; v.居先;
They also were the first generation to tell us about work-life balance, and the first to really ask for that in the workplace . 他们也是第一代跟我们谈论 要平衡工作与生活的人, 同时也是第一代真正在工作中 争取这种平衡的人。
first generation:adj.出生在美国的;原件第一代; workplace:n.工作场所;车间;
And then millennials -- you know, the everybody-gets-a-ribbon generation -- born between 1981 and 2000. “人人都披绶带”的千禧一代 出生于1981-2000年间。
Never knew a time where technology wasn't present in the home. 他们不知道科技走进千家万户之前 世界是什么样的。
technology:n.技术;工艺;术语;
They're incredibly pragmatic , they're hopeful and they're determined . 他们非常务实、 怀抱希望、决心强大。
incredibly:adv.难以置信地;非常地; pragmatic:adj.实际的;实用主义的;国事的; determined:adj.决定了的:v.决定;(determine的过去分词和过去式)
They think they're going to change the world, in fact, I believe they're going to do it. 他们认为他们能改变世界, 事实上,我相信他们会去改变世界。
They might be a little bit idealistic sometimes, but in just the last several years, we've seen millennials overtake Generation X to be the most represented generation in the workforce . 有时候,他们或许有点理想主义, 但是就在前几年, 我们看到千禧一代 超越了X一代, 成为了工作中的主力军。
idealistic:adj.理想主义的;唯心论的;唯心主义者的;空想家的; overtake:v.超过;赶上;(在数量或重要性方面)大于;(不愉快的事情)突然发生; represented:v.代表; (represent的过去式和过去分词) workforce:n.劳动大军;全体员工;
In fact, more than one in three people in the United States labor force is a millennial. 实际上,美国的劳动力, 每三个人中就有一个是 千禧一代。
United:adj.联合的; v.联合,团结; (unite的过去分词和过去式)
And soon to join us there, Generation Z, born since 2000, our high school interns or soon to be high school graduates. 很快,又出现了Z一代, 即2000年后出生的人, 他们有些是高中实习生, 有些很快将成为毕业生。
interns:n.实习生(intern的复数);同住者;v.做实习生;扣留;软禁(intern的三单形式);
Now, if you open any internet browser , look at Amazon , search any of your favorite search engines, you might assume there's a literal war in the workplace, right? 现在,你随便打开一个 网络浏览器, 看一下亚马逊, 打开你喜欢的任一个搜索引擎, 你或许会想,工作场所中 有一场口水战正在上演,是吗?
browser:n.[计]浏览器;吃嫩叶的动物;浏览书本的人; Amazon:亚马逊;古希腊女战士; assume:v.承担;假定;采取;呈现; literal:adj.文字的;逐字的;无夸张的;
We see blog topics like "Seventeen reasons why millennials are the worst generation." 我们就会看到 这样的博文话题: “17个理由说明为什么说 千禧一代是最糟糕的一代”、
blog:n.博客;部落格;网络日志;
And "Why baby boomers have ruined it for everybody." “为什么说婴儿潮一代 毁了大家的一切”、
baby boomers:婴儿潮出生的一代人(babyboomer的名词复数); ruined:adj.毁灭的;荒废的;v.毁坏;破坏;糟蹋;(ruin的过去分词和过去式)
Or "Bridging the great generational divide." 或者“消除代际分歧”。
generational:adj.一代的;生育的;
It's like turning into this "West Side Story," 就像《西区故事》一样,
like, boomers come in one door, millennials come in another door, the lobby , they just fight with each other all day, complain , go home, do the same, come back to work, right? 就像婴儿潮一代从一扇门进来, 千禧一代从另一扇门进来, 他们成天扭打、互相抱怨、 回家,相同的戏码反复上演, 再继续工作,是吧?
lobby:n.大堂;门厅;民众接待厅;游说;v.游说(从政者或政府); complain:v.投诉;发牢骚;诉说;
Well, so what if I told you these generations may not exist? 那如果我告诉你这几代人 或许都不存在,会怎么样?
what if:如果…怎么办?
I've been spending some time thinking about this and researching this, and fellow researchers and I aren't exactly sure that these generations are real. 我曾花了一些时间 来思考并研究这个问题, 而我和其他研究成员并不确定 这几代人真的存在。
And in fact, if we can agree that these groups even exist, we certainly don't agree who belongs in them. 事实上,就算我们都认为 这几代人存在, 我们也不确定 谁属于哪一代人。
And they span something like 20 years. 一代大概是20年。
span:n.持续时间; v.持续;
So at whatever point in history, a one-year-old and a 20-year-old are said to share the same value system, to want the same things at work, to have the same stereotypes working for and against them. 所以在历史长河中的 任何一个时间点, 一个1岁的孩子和一个20岁的大人 遵循相同的价值体系、 在工作中想要一样的东西、 在工作环境中 面临相同的模式化观念,
stereotypes:n.模式化观念(或形象); v.对…形成模式化(或类型化)的看法; (stereotype的第三人称单数和复数)
And in fact, different areas of the world define these generations differently. 事实上,全球各地 对每一代人的界定不尽相同。
define:v.定义;使明确;规定;
So we can't even compare generations across various areas of the world. 所以我们甚至无法比较 全球各地的每一代人。
compare:v.比较;对比;n.比较;
And these stereotypes about each generation have, in a lot of ways, created this self-fulfilling prophecy , that people begin to act as if they're part of that generation because we've said out loud that generation is real. 这些关于每一代人的 模式化观念 在很多方面创造了自证预言, 即人们的行为举止似乎开始说明 他们是那一代人的一份子, 因为我们明确地说了 那一代人真实存在。
self-fulfilling:adj.实现自己抱负的,自我实现的; prophecy:n.预言;预言书;预言能力;
I'm not so sure that it is. 我不敢苟同。
And in fact, this idea of generations has become deeply embedded in United States culture. 实际上, 这种一代人一代人的想法 在美国文化中根深蒂固。
embedded:adj.嵌入式的;植入的;内含的;v.嵌入(embed的过去式和过去分词形式);
When we talk generations, people know exactly what we're talking about. 当我们谈论一代人的时候, 对方知道我们谈论的是什么。
In fact, people have a lot of thoughts and feelings about each of these generations. 实际上,人们对每一代人 都有很多的想法和感觉。
And I'll tell you how I know this. 我来跟你们说说 我是怎么知道的。
I did the thing that every red-blooded American and pre-tenure academic does when they have a question. 我做了一件 每一个血气方刚的、 尚未获得终身职位的美籍学者 我在谷歌上搜索了一些内容。
red-blooded:adj.精力充沛的;强壮的;活跃的; academic:adj.学术的;理论的;学院的;n.大学生,大学教师;学者;
I Googled some stuff . 我在谷歌上搜索了一些内容。
Googled:vt.在谷歌上搜索;(google的过去式和过去分词) stuff:n.东西:物品:基本特征:v.填满:装满:标本:
And this is what I learned. 这就是我搜索到的内容。
Google is based on algorithms, and they provide you with commonly searched terms, or suggested hits, based on what other people are searching surrounding the same topic. 谷歌是按照算法运行的, 会显示常用搜索词条、 或者根据其他人就相同主题的搜索 出现的查询结果。
And it gave me a really good sense of what people think about each of these generations. 人们对每一代人是怎么看的呢? 就此,谷歌真的让我 有了很好的认识。
good sense:n.正确的决策力(或判断力);理智;
Take a look. 一起看看吧。
I learned that baby boomers are conservative , that Americans think they're stupid. 我了解到, 婴儿潮一代比较保守, 美国人觉得他们很傻。
conservative:adj.保守的;n.保守派,守旧者;
The worst generation, they're angry, apparently they're racist and they're so important. 他们是最糟糕的一代, 他们愤愤不平, 显然他们信奉种族主义, 但是他们非常重要。
apparently:adv.显然地;似乎,表面上; racist:n.种族主义者;种族主义的;
Looking at Generation X, 接下来看看X一代,
I learned Generation X is a cynical group, they're angry, they're known as the lost generation -- we know this; they're the smallest generation. 我了解到, X一代愤世嫉俗, 他们愤懑不平, 他们是迷惘的一代, 人尽皆知; 他们这一代规模最小、 人数最少。
cynical:adj.愤世嫉俗的;冷嘲的;
Apparently, they're stupid too. 显然,他们也很傻。
(Laughter) (笑声)
And mostly, they're frustrated with baby boomers. (笑声)
frustrated:adj.失意的,挫败的;泄气的;v.挫败;阻挠;(frustrate的过去式和过去分词)
Alright, millennials, this is what I learned about us. 继续看,千禧一代, 这是对我自己这一代的认识:
So, we're obsessed with food. 我们沉迷于吃吃吃, 无法自拔。
obsessed:v.使痴迷;使迷恋;使着迷;(obsess的过去式和过去分词)
(Laughter) (笑声)
We're also stupid, ah! 还有,我们也很傻。
We're lazy, we're sensitive , we're fired, we're also hated, and we think we're important. 我们很懒、敏感又玻璃心, 我们被开除、被解雇, 我们也遭人嫌遭人恨, 我们还认为自己很重要。
sensitive:adj.敏感的;感觉的;易受影响的;n.敏感的人;有灵异能力的人;
And perhaps the most terrifying search result on the internet -- 或许网上搜到的 最糟糕的结果是——
terrifying:adj.令人恐惧的;骇人的;极大的;v.使害怕,使恐怖;(terrify的现在分词)
Generation Z is screwed . Z一代完蛋了。
screwed:v.用螺丝固定;旋紧;拧紧;拧上去;(screw的过去分词和过去式)
(Laughter) (笑声)
OK, so, for five years, I've been talking to leaders and followers across a wide variety of organizations . 过去五年,我不断地与 各个组织机构的领导 及其追随者谈话。
variety:n.多样;种类;杂耍;变化,多样化; organizations:n.组织,构造,有机体(organization的复数);组织机构;
And this is what I've come to realize. 我发现了,
Generations haven't become part of the conversation -- generations have become the conversation at work. 一代又一代的人 并没有成为我们的谈话内容, 但他们是 工作场合中的谈话内容。
What I've learned is that we're working under the assumption that those Google results are true. 我发现, 我们正在假设上述谷歌搜索结果 为真命题的情境下工作。
assumption:n.假定;设想;担任;采取;
And so, what I think is that organizations are now desperate to figure out how to "manage" the multigenerational workplace. 所以我认为, 各个组织机构目前特别想 搞清楚要如何去“管理” 多代人的工作环境。
desperate:adj.不顾一切的;令人绝望的;极度渴望的;
'"Manage" it. “管理”。
We manage all sorts of things. 我们什么都管。
We're preparing for this wave of millennials to come to work. 我们正在准备迎接 一大波千禧一代进入职场。
So we prepare for hurricanes , right? 我们会做好准备 防范飓风,是吗?
hurricanes:n.[气象]飓风(hurricane的复数);
We prepare to take the MCAT, we prepare for natural disasters . 我们准备参加医学院入学考试, 我们做好准备,应对自然灾害。
disasters:n.灾难(disaster的复数);
Why are we preparing for 23-year-olds to come to work? 一群23岁的人即将进入职场, 为什么我们要做准备呢?
(Laughter) (笑声)
I've talked to these organizations, and I've heard amazing things that they're doing to create a workspace for everybody to get along and to have autonomy and to feel like they're thriving . (笑声) 我听说了他们所做的惊人努力, 去打造人人都能 和谐相处的工作环境, 打造自主权,让大家觉得 整个团队正在茁壮成长。
workspace:n.工作空间; autonomy:n.自治,自治权; thriving:v.兴旺发达;繁荣;旺盛;茁壮成长;(thrive的现在分词)
But I've also heard some really incredibly harebrained ideas about how to navigate the multigenerational workplace. 但是我也听说了 一些愚蠢至极的想法, 关于管理多代人的工作环境。
harebrained:adj.轻率的;粗心的; navigate:vt.驾驶,操纵;使通过;航行于;vi.航行,航空;
Are you ready? 你们准备好了吗?
This is what I saw. 这就是我所看到的。
I visited an organization, and they adopted this idea that if you can see it, you can be it. 我参观了一个机构, 他们就采用了这个想法, 即你能看到就能做到。
adopted:adj.被收养的;被采用的;v.采用;接受;(adopt的过去式和过去分词);
A really important concept. 一个非常重要的理念。
But I think they blew it. 但我们觉得他们没用对。
The put pictures on the walls of the ideal multigenerational workplace, because if you can see it, you can be it. 他们在墙上挂了很多图, 主题是理想的多代人工作环境, 因为你能看到就能做到。
(Laughter) (笑声)
Or like this one. 或者像这个。
(Laughter) 或者像这个。
Like, I don't even want to work here. 我根本不想在这里工作!
(Laughter) (笑声)
You don't get to wear color here, apparently, and HR seriously has problems with people jumping in heels , (笑声) HR肯定对穿着高跟鞋 还蹦跶的人不满,
heels:n.高跟鞋(heel的复数);脚踝;残余料;v.紧跟;给(鞋等)装跟(heel的三单形式);
I promise you that, OK? 我打包票,好吧?
I talked to an organization who recently decided against putting a ball pit in the break room because that's how you retain millennials. 我跟一个机构沟通, 他们最近做出了决定, 反对在休息室里放置海洋球, 这是留住千禧一代的技俩。
recently:adv.最近;新近; pit:n.深洞;深坑;矿井;麻子;v.使…表面有斑点;在…上打洞;去掉…的果核; retain:v.保留;保持;持有;继续拥有;
We're 30, not three. 我们都30了,不是三岁小孩子。
(Laughter) (笑声)
And in fact, I know a young, at the time, millennial, who was told that if she wanted people to take her seriously, just because she was a millennial, she would have to do this -- wear shoulder pads . 实际上,我当时 还知道一位千禧一代, 有人告诉她, 如果想让别人把她当回事, 就因为她是千禧一代, 她就得这么做—— ——用肩垫。
pads:n.软垫,护垫; v.填充,覆盖,保护; (pad的第三人称单数和复数)
Yes. 就是这样。
People younger than her and older than her wouldn't take her seriously unless she wore shoulder pads. 比她年长或比她年轻的人 不会把她当回事, 除非她用肩垫。
Straight-out-of-the-80s, can't-even-buy-them-anywhere shoulder pads. 就算是80年代 也买不到的那种肩垫。
This young woman had two graduate degrees. 这位年轻女性拥有 两个硕士学位。
This young woman was me. 这位年轻女性就是我。
And this is the best we came up with? 这就是我们能想到的 最好的解决方法吗?
How to navigate the multigenerational workplace ... is shoulder pads? 管理多代人的工作环境…… 要靠肩垫?
(Laughter) (笑声)
So, this is also what I've learned talking to organizations that employ a wide range of people of various ages. 这是也我与各个组织机构 交谈的发现, 这些组织结构里 有各个年龄层次的员工。
employ:vt.使用,采用;雇用;使忙于,使从事于;n.使用;雇用;
We are so much more similar than we are different. 我们的确有不同的一面, 但我们有更多相似的一面。
And we're hearing this consistently . 而且我们听到的也都是:
consistently:adv.一贯地;一致地;坚实地;
People want work that matters, they want flexibility , they want support, they want appreciation , they want better coffee. 人们想做真正有用的工作, 想要自由灵活, 想要获得支持, 想要被欣赏称赞, 想要更好喝的咖啡。
flexibility:n.灵活性;弹性;适应性; appreciation:n.升值;欣赏;感谢;增值;
But none of these things are tied to a generation. 这些都不是只与 某一代人挂钩的东西。
Now, sure, we see small differences in what people want. 我们确实会发现 人们的追求有细微差别。
We know 20-year-olds and 60-year-olds go home and do different things. 我们知道,20岁的人和60岁的人 下班回家后所做的事情不一样。
They have different values. 他们有着不同的价值观。
At least when it comes to things happening outside of work. 至少对于工作以外的事情是如此。
But I think what's happened is that this focus on generational cohorts , these groups of people, has created a space where we just forgot that people are people. 但是我认为, 对一代人的关注, 对一代又一代人的关注, 打造了这样一个环境—— 我们忘了大家都是人。
cohorts:n.一群人,一批人;同伙;支持者;(cohort的复数)
And to know who they really are, who we really work with, we have to figure out how to better navigate this multigenerational workplace than ball pits . 为了知道他们到底是谁、 我们到底在和谁一起工作, 我们得搞清楚如何更好地管理 这个多代人的工作环境。 可要比管海洋球管得好啊!
pits:n.维修区(pit的复数); v.除去…的核;
Call me one of those idealist millennials, but I think we can get there. 你们可以说我是千禧一代中的 理想主义者,但我相信我们能做到。
And I don't think the idea is too terribly difficult. 而且我也不觉得 这个想法很难实现。
What if we radically , simply, not easily, meet people where they are? 如果我们从根本上、 单纯地、而非简单地 去认识一个人,那会怎么样?
radically:adv.根本上;彻底地;以激进的方式;
Individualize our approach . 因人而异。
Individualize:vt.赋予个性;个别处理;使适应个别需要; approach:n.方法;路径;v.接近;建议;着手处理;
I've never met a generation. 我从来不认识某一代人。
I've had a lot of conversations with people who happened to identify with a specific generational cohort. 有些人恰巧与特定的某一代人 产生了共鸣, 我与他们进行过深入的交谈。
identify:v.识别:鉴定:确认:发现: specific:adj.特殊的,特定的;明确的;详细的;[药]具有特效的;n.特性;细节;特效药;
I know that 80-year-olds text message and 23-year-olds crochet blankets. 我认识知道怎么发短信的耄耋老人, 也认识会织毯子的年轻人。
text message:n.文本信息;短信息; crochet:n.钩边;钩针编织品;v.用钩针编织;
None of these things are stereotypical of that generation, right? 但是这些并不是 那一代人的典型特征,对吧?
stereotypical:adj.老一套的;陈规的;
Nilofer Merchant -- she's a thought leader in innovation -- she tells us we have to meet people in their onlyness, that is, that spot in the world where only we stand, as a function of our unique history, our experiences and our hopes. Nilofer Merchant 是一位创新思想领袖, 她告诉大家,我们得去 认识人们的唯一性, 也就是我们在世界上的 唯一处境, 这是我们独特的历史、我们的经历、 我们的希望造就的结果。
Merchant:n.商人;批发商;(尤指)进出口批发商;(某活动的)爱好者;adj.海上货运的; innovation:n.创新,革新;新方法; unique:adj.独特的,稀罕的;[数]唯一的;n.独一无二的人或物;
But this requires flexibility and curiosity . 但这需要灵活应对、要有好奇心。
curiosity:n.好奇,好奇心;珍品,古董,古玩;
And what happens when we meet people in their onlyness, only the spot in the world that they stand, we learn that that boomer who is just acting "angry" at work all the time is scared. 当我们去认识人们的唯一性时, 去认识他们的处境时, 我们会明白,在职场中一直表现出 “愤愤不平”的婴儿潮一代的某个人 其实内省充满恐惧。
Because he's worked every day since he was 16 years old, and on a Monday, sooner than he can imagine, he'll never go to work again. 因为他从16岁开始就每天工作, 而某个他还来不及 做好心理准备的周一, 他就不用再去上班了。
He's got plans. 他有自己的计划,
It's going to take like a week and a half to do all the things on that retirement list. 那就是花一周半的时间 把退休清单上的所有事情都做完。
But then what? 但是,在那之后呢?
What if we give a little bit of grace to the person that might be a little scared? 如果我们能给那个 心怀一丝恐惧的人 多一点的时间,会怎么样?
grace:n.优雅;恩惠;魅力;慈悲;v.使优美;
Or that Generation X-er who has four drop-offs , three kids, two hands, and is just trying to keep the wheels on the bus. 或者,X一代的某个人, 她辍学四次,有三个孩子, 只能通过自己的双手 努力给家人好的生活。
drop-offs:n.急下降;
Sure, maybe she's a little aloof at work. 当然,她可能对工作 有些漠不关心,
aloof:adj.冷淡的;远离的;冷漠的;adv.远离;避开地;
Maybe she's a little independent , maybe she's exhausted . 她可能有点无依无靠, 她可能累坏了。
independent:adj.独立的; n.无党派议员(或候选人等); exhausted:adj.筋疲力尽的; v.使筋疲力尽; (exhaust的过去分词和过去式)
Or that millennial who asks for a raise after two months because they're " entitled ?" 又或者,千禧一代的某个人, 工作两个月后就要求加薪, 因为他觉得自己“值得拥有”?
entitled:v.使享有权利;使符合资格;给…命名;(entitle的过去分词和过去式)
Well, maybe it's because that generation has more debt than any generation before them, coming out of college, and they just need the money to keep going, to pay rent. 这可能是因为这一代人 在大学毕业后 比此前的任何一代人 有更多的债务, 他们只是需要钱 来维持生活,付租金。
debt:n.债务;借款;罪过;
And suddenly, when you meet people in their onlyness, that spot in the world only they stand, we're not talking about a generation anymore. 突然,当你去认识人们的唯一性时, 当你去了解他们的唯一处境时, 那我们谈论的 就不是某一代人了,
We're talking about Jim or Jen or Candice. 我们谈论的是 张三、李四或王五。
And so here's my challenge to us. 我现在向大家发起挑战,
Pick a person, just one, and explore their onlyness. 选择一个人,就选一个, 然后去探索他的唯一性。
explore:v.探索:探测:探险:
And then learn. 去了解。
And then in the moments where it's appropriate , teach. 在合适的时候去沟通,教育。
appropriate:adj.适当的;恰当的;v.占用,拨出;
And figure out what they bring to work that no one else can bring to work, because that's what makes work richer. 去看看他们为工作带来了什么, 是其他人没有的, 因为这才是让工作 更丰富多彩的关键所在。
And then do it again. 再寻找下一个目标。
And do it again. 再寻找下下个目标。
And then some day, we're not working with generations anymore. 某一天,我们就不再是 与某几代人一起工作了。
We're working with people. 我们是与具体的一群人一起工作。
And so to really understand the beauty of the multigenerational workplace, 所以要想真正了解 多代人工作环境的好处,
I think we just have to meet people where they are. 我觉得我们要去了解人们的处境,
And that doesn't require that we unpack and live there with them. 这不是要我们去跟他们住在一起,
unpack:vt.卸下…;解除…的负担;vi.打开包裹;
But we might find, at least on occasion , it's a beautiful place to visit. 但是我们可能会,至少时不时地会发现, 这个地方很美好,值得一去。
on occasion:有时;偶尔;
And so I think there's just no need to argue about which generation is the most angry or the most entitled or the most so obsessed with food. 所以我认为真的没有必要 去争论哪一代人最愤愤不平, 哪一代人最自以为是, 或者哪一代人最爱吃吃吃。
We all come to the classroom, to work, back to our homes, a little bit tired and a little bit tattered sometimes. 我们都要上学、工作、下班回家, 我们都会有点累, 有时会有几分不堪。
tattered:adj.破烂的,衣衫褴褛的;v.变破烂(tatter的过去分词);
Maybe let's just do our best to humbly meet people where they are, how they show up that day, generation and all. 那就让我们尽可能 谦逊地认识他人吧, 认识他们的处境, 同一代人也好,其他代人也罢。
humbly:adv.谦逊地;卑贱地;低声下气地;
And in those moments where it can feel a little bit like intergenerational warfare , 这样的话, 在代际间的斗争初露端倪时,
intergenerational:adj.两代间的; warfare:n.战争;冲突;
I think we can at least all agree that shoulder pads aren't the solution . 我想我们至少都赞同 用肩垫解决不了问题。
solution:n.解决方案;溶液;溶解;解答;
(Laughter) (笑声)
Thank you. 谢谢大家。
(Applause) (掌声)