返回首页

LeahChase_2017W-_与克里奥尔美食女王的访谈_

Leah Chase: Oh, this is beautiful. 利亚蔡斯:喔,好漂亮。
Oh, gosh, I never saw such a room and beauty and strength like I'm looking at. 喔,天,我从来没有看过 像这样的画面,美丽又充满能量。
That's gorgeous . It is. 非常动人,真的。
gorgeous:adj.华丽的,灿烂的;极好的;
It is a beautiful room. 这是个很漂亮的场地。
Pat Mitchell: I almost said your age, because you gave me permission, but I realized that I was about to make you a year older. 帕特米谢尔:我差点说出 你的年龄,因为你说可以, 但我发现我会让你老一岁。
Pat:v.合适; n.拍打; adj.过于简易的; v.(喜爱地)轻拍; was about to:眼看就要;即将;正要;行将;
You're only 94. 其实你只有 94 岁。
(Laughter) (笑声)
(Applause) (掌声)
LC: Yeah, I'm only 94. 利亚:是啊,我只有 94 岁。
(Applause) (掌声)
I mean, you get this old and parts start wearing out. 当你到这么老的时候, 有些部份开始失灵。
Your legs start wearing out. 你的脚开始失灵。
The one thing that my children always say: "But nothing happened to your mouth." 但我的孩子们总会说: 「但你的嘴巴都好好的。」
(Laughter) (笑声)
So you've got to have something going, so I've got my mouth going. 总得让什么能继续用下去, 所以我让我的嘴巴继续用下去。
(Laughter) (笑声)
PM: So Mrs. Chase, the first time we were there, 帕特:蔡斯女士, 我们第一次去那里时,
I brought a group of young women, who work with us at TED, into the kitchen, and we were all standing around and you had already cooked lunch for hundreds of people, as you do every day, and you looked up at them. 我带了在 TED 工作的一群年轻女子 到厨房里去, 我们都站在周围,你已经在做午餐, 为数百人做,那是你的日常, 而你看着她们。
You have to share with this audience what you said to those young women. 你一定要告诉这里的观众 你当时对那些年轻女子说了什么。
LC: Well, you know, I talk to young women all the time, and it's beginning to bother me, because look how far I came. 利亚:你知道的, 我常和年轻女子说话, 那开始让我不舒服, 因为看看我走了多远的路。
bother:v.烦扰,打扰;使…不安;操心,麻烦;n.麻烦;烦恼;
I'd come with women that had to really hustle and work hard, and they knew how to be women. 我曾经遇过真的需要 拼命努力工作的女人, 她们知道如何做女人。
hustle:v.催促;猛推;强夺;赶紧;n.推;奔忙;拥挤喧嚷;
They didn't play that man down. 她们不会贬低男人。
And, well, we didn't have the education you have today, and God, I'm so proud when I see those women with all that education under their belt . 我们当时没有像你们现在受的教育, 天,我好骄傲, 我看到那些女人受到过那么多教育。
belt:n.皮带;腰带;传动带;传送带;v.猛击;狠打;飞奔;飞驰;
That's why I worked hard, tried to get everybody to use those resources . 那就是为什么我很努力, 试着让每个人都去用那些资源。
resources:n.[计][环境]资源; v.向…提供资金(resource的第三人称单数);
So they just don't know their power, and I always tell them, just look at my mother, had 12 girls before she had a boy. 她们只是不知道她们的力量, 我总是告诉她们,看看我母亲, 生了 12 个女生之后 才生出 1 个男生。
(Laughter) (笑声)
So you know how I came out. 所以你们知道我怎么出来的。
(Laughter) (笑声)
Now, she had 14 children. (笑声)
She raised 11 of us out of that 14, and up until last year, we were all still living, a bunch of old biddies , but we're still here. 14 个当中她养育了 11 个, 直到去年,我们都还活着, 一群老婆娘,但我们都还在。
a bunch of:一群;一束;一堆; biddies:n.小鸡;母鸡;女佣;唠叨的中年妇人;
(Laughter) (笑声)
And sometimes we can be just cantankerous and blah blah blah blah blah, but we still go. 有时我们就爱唱反调,等等等等, 但我们仍然继续。
cantankerous:adj.脾气坏的;爱吵架的;难相处的; blah:n.废话;空话;瞎说;int.废话;
And I love to see women. 我喜欢看女人。
You don't know what it does for me to see women in the position that you're in today. 你们不知道看到女性 有现在的地位对我有什么影响。
I never thought I'd see that. 我从来没有想到我能看到这些。
I never thought I'd see women be able to take places and positions that we have today. 我从来没有想到我能看到女性 能做到我们现今这样的位置。
It is just a powerful thing. 那是非常强大的事。
I had a young woman come to me. 曾有一位年轻女子来找我。
She was an African-American woman. 她是非裔美国女性。
African-American:非洲裔美国人(指美国黑人);
And I said, "Well, what do you do, honey?" 我说:「你做什么工作,亲爱的?」
She said, "I am a retired Navy pilot." 她说:「我是退休的海军飞行员。」
Navy:n.海军;深蓝色的;
Oh God, that just melted me, because I knew how hard it was to integrate that Navy. 喔,天啊,我都融化了, 因为我知道要让海军 对黑人平等有多难。
melted:v.(使)熔化,融化;(使)软化,变得温柔;(melt的过去分词和过去式) integrate:v.成为一体;(使)加入;adj.完全的;
You know, the Navy was the last thing to really be integrated , and that was done by Franklin Roosevelt as a favor to an African-American man, 海军是最后才对黑人平权的, 那是富兰克林罗斯福的贡献, 他是为了一位非裔美国男子做的,
integrated:adj.综合的; v.整合; (integrate的过去式和过去分词)
Lester Granger, that I knew very well. 莱斯特格兰杰,我非常清楚这事。
He was the head of the National Urban League back there, and when Roosevelt asked him, he wanted to appoint Lester as maybe one of his cabinet members. 他当时是那里的 全国都市同盟的领导人, 当罗斯福问他, 他想要任命莱斯特 也许当他的内阁成员之一。
Urban:adj.城市的;都市的;城镇的;都市音乐的; League:n.联赛;联盟;协会;种类;v.(使)结盟;(使)联合[团结];一鼻孔出气;组成联盟; appoint:v.任命;委任;确定(时间、地点); cabinet:n.内阁;储藏柜;陈列柜;adj.内阁的;小房间用的;玲珑的;细木工做的;
Lester said, "No, I don't want that. 莱斯特说:「不,那不是我想要的。
All I want you to do is integrate that Navy." 我想要你做的, 只有让海军对黑人平等。」
And that was what Franklin did. 所以富兰克林就那么做了。
Well, Franklin didn't live to do it, but Truman did it. 嗯,富兰克林没有活到见证这件事完成, 但杜鲁门完成了。
But when this woman told me, "I have flown everything there is to fly," 当这位女子告诉我: 「能飞的东西我都飞过了。」
bombers , just all kinds of planes, it just melted me, you know, just to see how far women have come. 轰炸机、各种飞机, 那让我融化了,你知道的, 看到女人能走到今天这地步。
bombers:n.[航][军]轰炸机;喷射机;扔炸弹的人(bomber的复数形式);
And I told her, I said, "Well, you could get into the space program." 我告诉她,我说: 「你可以去参加那些太空计画。」
She said, "But Ms. Chase, I'm too old." 她说:「但,蔡斯女士,我太老了。」
She was already 60-some years old, and, you know, you're over the hill then. 她已经 60 多岁, 你知道,那时已经开始走下坡了。
over the hill:已过壮年的;走下坡路;
(Laughter) (笑声)
They don't want you flying up in the sky at 60-something years old. 他们不希望你 60 多岁还在天上飞。
Stay on the ground. 待在地上。
When I meet women, and today everybody comes to my kitchen, and you know that, and it upsets Stella, my daughter. 当我和女人见面, 今天每个人都来到我的厨房, 你知道的, 那让我的女儿史黛拉很心烦。
upsets:n.压折;
She doesn't like people coming in the kitchen. 她不喜欢别人到厨房来。
But that's where I am, and that's where you're going to see me, in the kitchen. 但我就在厨房中, 而你会和我见面在厨房里见面。
So when they come there, I meet all kinds of people. 所以当她们到那里时, 我见到各式各样的人。
And that is the thing that really uplifts me, is when I meet women on the move . 有件会让我很振奋的事, 那就是见到在进步的女性。
uplifts:n.[地]隆起; v.提高(社会地位); (uplift的第三人称单数); on the move:在活动中,在进行中;四处奔波;
When I meet women on the move, it is good for me. 见到在进步的女性,对我是好事。
Now, I'm not one of these flag-waving women. 我不是那种摇旗吶喊的女性。
flag-waving:adj.狂热爱国主义的;n.狂热的爱国主义;沙文主义情绪的强烈表现;
You're not going to see me out there waving. 你不会在外面看到我在摇旗。
No, I don't do that. 不,我不做那种事。
(Laughter) (笑声)
No, I don't do that, and I don't want any of you to do that. 不,我不做那种事, 且我不希望你们任何人做。
Just be good women. 做个好女性就好。
And you know, my mother taught us ... 我妈妈教我们…
she was tough on us, and she said, "You know, Leah," 她对我们很严, 她说:「你知道的,利亚,」
she gave us all this plaque , "to be a good woman, you have to first look like a girl." 她对我们都这样说: 「若要成为一个好女性, 你首先得要看起来像个女孩。」
plaque:n.匾;血小板;饰板;
Well, I thought I looked like a girl. 嗯,我认为我看起来像个女孩。
'"Act like a lady." 「行为要像淑女。」
That, I never learned to do. 我从来没有学会这一点。
(Laughter) (笑声)
'"Think like a man." 「思考则要像男人。」
Now don't act like that man; think like a man. 不要行为像男人,思考像男人。
And "work like a dog." 然后「工作得像狗一样。」
(Laughter) (笑声)
So we learned that the hard way. 所以,我们费了一番苦功才学会。
And they taught you that. 他们会教你那样。
They taught you what women had to do. 他们教你女性必须要做什么。
We were taught that women controlled the behavior of men. 我们被教导的是, 女性控制男性的行为。
How you act, they will act. 你做什么,他们就会做什么。
So you've got to do that, and I tell you all the time. 所以你得那样做, 我总是这样告诉你。
You know, don't play this man down. 不要贬低这个男人。
It upsets me when you may have a husband that maybe he doesn't have as much education under his belt as you have, but still you can't play him down. 让我很苦恼的是,你的丈夫 可能教育程度没有你好, 但你仍然不能贬低他。
You've got to keep lifting him up, because you don't want to live with a mouse. 你得要继续把他捧起来, 因为你不想和老鼠同住。
So you want that man to be a man, and do what he has to do. 所以你会希望那个男人 能成为男人,做他该做的。
And anyway, always remember, he runs on cheap gas. 总之,不要忘记, 他是靠廉价汽油来运作的。
(Laughter) (笑声)
So fill him up with cheap gas -- 所以,把他加满廉价汽油-
(Laughter) (笑声)
and then, you got him. 然后,你就搞定他了。
It's just so -- 这实在是…
(Laughter) (笑声)
It's just -- 就是…
PM: You have to give us a minute to take that in. 帕特:你得给我们一分钟消化一下。
(Laughter) (笑声)
LC: When I heard this young lady speak before I came out -- she was so beautiful, and I wished I could be like that, and my husband, poor darling -- 利亚:在我出来之前 我听到这个年轻女子在演说- 她好漂亮, 我希望我能像她一样, 我的丈夫,可怜的宝贝-
I lost him after we were married 70 years -- didn't agree on one thing, never did, nothing, but we got along together because he learned to understand me, and that was just hard, because he was so different. 我们结婚 70 年之后我失去了他- 我们从来没有共识, 从来没有,一件共识都没有, 但我们能相处得来, 因为他学会了解我, 那是很困难的, 因为他很与众不同。
And that lady reminded me. 那位女子勾起我的记忆。
reminded:v.提醒;使想起;(remind的过去分词和过去式)
I said, "If I would have just been like her, 我说:「如果我能够像她一样,
Dooky would have really loved it." 杜克一定会很喜欢的。」
(Laughter) (笑声)
But I wasn't. 但我不像她。
I was always pushy , always moving, always doing this, and he used to come to me all the time, and he said, "Honey, God's going to punish you." 我总坚持己见、总停不下来、 总是这样做, 他以前常常会来找我,说: 「亲爱的,神一定会惩罚你。」
pushy:adj.有进取心的;爱出风头的;有冲劲的;固执己见的;
(Laughter) (笑声)
'"You -- you're just not grateful." 「你…你实在不知感恩。」
But it isn't that I'm not grateful, but I think, as long as you're living, you've got to keep moving, you've got to keep trying to get up and do what you've got to do. 但并不是我不知感恩, 但我认为,只要你还活着, 你就该继续走下去, 你得要不断试着爬起来, 然后做你该做的事。
as long as:conj.只要;长达;如果;既然;
(Applause) (掌声)
You cannot sit down. 你不能坐下来。
You have to keep going, keep trying to do a little bit every day. 你得继续前进, 试着每天做一点点。
Every day, you do a little bit, try to make it better. 每天,你都做一点点, 试着做更好一点。
And that's been my whole life. 我一生都是如此。
Well, I came up in the country, small town, had to do everything, had to haul the water, had to wash the clothes, do this, do that, pick the dumb strawberries , all that kind of stuff . 我在郊区长大,小镇上, 什么都得做,得要去运水、 得要洗衣服、得要做这个做那个、 摘愚蠢的草莓之类的。
haul:v.拉; n.大批赃物; dumb:adj.哑的,无说话能力的;不说话的,无声音的; strawberries:n.草莓;(strawberry的复数) stuff:n.东西:物品:基本特征:v.填满:装满:标本:
(Laughter) (笑声)
But still, my daddy insisted that we act nice, we be kind. 但,我爸爸仍然坚持 我们要有好的行为, 我们要宽厚。
And that's all. 就这样。
When I heard this young woman -- oh, she sounds so beautiful -- 当我听到这位年轻女子- 喔,她听起来好美-
I said, "I wish I could be like that." 我说:「我希望我也能像那样。」
PM: Mrs. Chase, we don't want you to be any different than you are. 帕特:蔡斯女士, 我们不希望你变成其他的样子。
different than:不同于;
There is no question about that. 这点毫无疑问。
Let me ask you. 让我请教你。
This is why it's so wonderful to have a conversation with someone who has such a long view -- 这就是为什么和有这么长远观察的人 对谈是如此美好的事-
LC: A long time. 利亚:很长的时间。
PM: to remembering Roosevelt and the person he did that favor for. 帕特:记得罗斯福、 以及他为了谁做那件事。
What is in your head and your mind and what you have seen and witnessed ... 你的脑袋里在想什么, 你所见到的、目击的…
witnessed:v.当场看到,目击;见证;作证;(witness的过去式和过去分词)
One of the things that it's good to remember, always, is that when you opened that restaurant, whites and blacks could not eat together in this city. 有件事,每次想起来都很棒, 就是当你开那间餐厅时, 在这个城市里, 白人和黑人不能一同用餐。
It was against the law. 当时是违法的。
And yet they did, at Dooky Chase. Tell me about that. 但他们在杜克蔡斯餐厅还是 一起吃。和我谈谈这件事。
LC: They did, there. 利亚:在那里,他们一起吃。
Well, my mother-in-law first started this, and the reason she started is, because her husband was sickly , and he would go out -- and people from Chicago and all the places, you would call his job a numbers runner. 我的岳母是先发难的, 她发难的原因是, 因为她的丈夫很多病,而他会出门- 来自芝加哥和各地的人, 你会说他的工作是兜揽彩票赌博。
mother-in-law:n.岳母;婆母; sickly:adj.有病的,苍白的; v.病态地; vt.使苍白,使现病容;
But in New Orleans , we are very sophisticated -- 但在纽奥良,我们非常世故-
Orleans:n.奥尔良(法国城市); sophisticated:adj.复杂的;老练的;见多识广的;水平高的;
(Laughter) (笑声)
so it wasn't a numbers runner, it was a lottery vendor . 所以不是兜揽彩票赌博, 是彩券小贩。
lottery:n.彩票;碰运气的事,难算计的事;抽彩给奖法; vendor:n.卖主;小贩;[贸易]自动售货机;
(Laughter) (笑声)
So you see, we put class to that. 我们把它弄得更有格调.
But that's how he did it. 但他就是那样做的。
And he couldn't go from house to house to get his clients and all that, because he was sick, so she opened up this little sandwich shop, so she was going to take down the numbers, because he was sick a lot. 他无法一家一家去找客户, 因为他病了, 所以她开了一间小的三明治餐厅, 她会去记下数字, 因为他常常生病。
clients:n.委托人;当事人;客户机;(client的复数) sandwich:n.三明治;夹心面包片;
He had ulcers . He was really bad for a long a time. 他有溃疡。他状况长期都不好。
ulcers:n.[病理]溃疡,疡(ulcer的复数);
So she did that -- and not knowing anything, but she knew she could make a sandwich. 所以她那样做了, 她什么都不知道, 但她知道她可以做三明治。
She knew she could cook, and she borrowed 600 dollars from a brewery . 她知道她能煮菜, 她向一间啤酒厂借了六百元。
brewery:n.啤酒厂;
Can you imagine starting a business today with 600 dollars and no knowledge of what you're doing? 你能想像现今用六百元创業, 且还不知道自己在干嘛吗?
And it always just amazed me what she could do. 她所做的,一直让我觉得很了不起。
She was a good money manager. 她是个很好的金钱管理者。
That, I am not. 我完全不是。
My husband used to call me a bankrupt sister. 我丈夫以前会叫我破产姐。
bankrupt:adj.破产;倒闭;完全缺乏(有价值的东西);n.(经法院判决的)破产者;v.使破产;
(Laughter) (笑声)
'"She'll spend everything you got." 「她花掉了你所有的钱。」
And I would, you know. 我会的,你知道。
PM: But you kept the restaurant open, though, even in those times of controversy , when people were protesting and almost boycotting . 帕特:但你仍然让餐厅继续营業, 甚至在那个很争议的时代, 人们都在抗议, 几乎是联合抵制。
controversy:n.争论;论战;辩论; protesting:v.(公开)反对;抗议;坚决地表示;申辩;(protest的现在分词) boycotting:v.抵制;拒绝购买(或使用、参加);(boycott的现在分词)
I mean, it was a controversial move that you and your husband made. 我是指,你和你的丈夫 所下的那步棋是很争议的。
controversial:adj.有争议的;有争论的;
LC: It was, and I don't know how we did it, but as I said , my mother-in-law was a kind, kind person, and you didn't have any African-Americans on the police force at that time. 利亚:的确,我不知道 我们如何办到的, 但如我刚说的, 我的岳母是个很仁慈的人, 且在那个时候,警方中 没有任何非裔美国人。
as I said:正如我所说的 police force:n.警察部队;
They were all white. 他们都是白人。
But they would come around, and she would say, "Bebe, I'm gonna fix you a little sandwich." 但他们会来, 她会说: 「宝贝,我要为你做个三明治。」
So she would fix them a sandwich. 所以,她会为他们做个三明治。
Today they would call that bribery . 在现代,那叫做贿赂。
bribery:n.[法]贿赂;受贿;行贿;
(Laughter) (笑声)
But she was just that kind of person. 但她就是那种人。
She liked to do things for you. 她喜欢为你做些事。
She liked to give. 她喜欢付出。
So she would do that, and maybe that helped us out, because nobody ever bothered us. 所以她会那样做, 也许我们因此受惠, 因为从来没人来骚扰我们。
bothered:adj.烦(恼)的; v.使(某人)烦恼;
We had Jim Dombrowski, Albert Ben Smith, who started all kinds of things right in that restaurant, and nobody ever bothered us. 我们有吉姆东布罗夫斯基、 亚伯班史密斯, 他们在那间餐厅中开始各种事物, 从来没人来骚扰我们。
So we just did it. 所以我们就是做到了。
PM: Excuse me. 帕特:对不起。
You talked to me that day about the fact that people considered the restaurant a safe haven where they could come together, particularly if they were working on civil rights , human rights, working to change the laws. 那天你告诉我, 人们认为那间餐厅是个安全的避风港, 他们可以聚在那里, 特别是致力于民权、 人权、 致力改变法律的人。
safe haven:n.安全的地方;避难所; particularly:adv.特别地,独特地;详细地,具体地;明确地,细致地; civil rights:na.公民权;
LC: Well, because once you got inside those doors, nobody ever, ever bothered you. 利亚:因为一旦你进了那些门, 没有人会来骚扰你。
The police would never come in and bother our customers, never. 警察不会进来, 不会来打扰我们的客人,从来不会。
So they felt safe to come there. 所以他们觉得到那里很安全。
They could eat, they could plan. 他们能吃东西、他们能做规划。
All the Freedom Riders , that's where they planned all their meetings. 所有的自由行示威者, 他们都在那里规划他们的会面。
Riders:骑手;附文;扶手(rider的复数);
They would come and we would serve them a bowl of gumbo and fried chicken. 他们会来,而我们会端上一碗秋葵 和炸鸡。
gumbo:n.秋葵;加有秋葵的浓汤;坚硬黏土;adj.粘土的;
(Laughter) (笑声)
So I said, we'd changed the course of America over a bowl of gumbo and some fried chicken. 所以我说,我们透过一碗秋葵 和一些炸鸡,改变了美国的前程。
(Applause) (笑声)
I would like to invite the leaders, now, just come have a bowl of gumbo and some fried chicken, talk it over and we'd go and we'd do what we have to do. 我现在想要邀请领导者们, 来吃一碗秋葵和一些炸鸡, 商量一下,然后就去做该做的事。
(Applause) (掌声)
And that's all we did. 我们做的就只有这样。
PM: Could we send you a list to invite to lunch? 帕特:我们能寄一份 午餐邀请名单给你吗?
(Laughter) (笑声)
LC: Yeah, invite. 利亚:好啊,邀请。
Because that's what we're not doing. 因为那是我们现在没有做的事。
We're not talking. 我们没有交谈。
Come together. 聚在一起。
I don't care if you're a Republican or what you are -- come together. 我不在乎你是共和党或什么, 来聚在一起。
Republican:adj.共和国的;共和政体的;共和主义的;拥护共和政体的;n.共和主义者;
Talk. 来交谈一下。
And I know those old guys. 我认识那些老家伙,
I was friends with those old guys, like Tip O'Neill and all of those people. 我是那些老家伙的朋友, 像提普奥尼尔和所有那些人。
Tip:n.小窍门,小费;v.给…小费;使倾斜;
They knew how to come together and talk, and you would disagree maybe. 他们知道如何聚在一起好好交谈, 也许你会有不认同的地方。
That's OK. 那没关系。
But you would talk, and we would come to a good thing and meet. 但你会交谈,我们就能 产生好的结果、达成共识。
And so that's what we did in that restaurant. 那就是我们在餐厅中所做的。
They would plan the meeting, 他们会规划会面。
Oretha's mother, Oretha Haley's mother. 奥雷的母亲,奥雷哈利的母亲。
She was big in CORE . 她在 CORE 是个大人物。
CORE:n.核心;要点;果心;[计]磁心;vt.挖...的核;
Her mother worked for me for 42 years. 她母亲为我工作了 42 年。
And she was like me. 她很像我。
We didn't understand the program. 我们不了解那个计画。
Nobody our age understood this program, and we sure didn't want our children to go to jail . 没有人到我们这把年纪 还能了解那个计画, 我们肯定不希望我们的孩子坐牢。
jail:n.监狱;监牢;拘留所;v.监禁;下狱;
Oh, that was ... oh God. 喔,那是…喔,天。
But these young people were willing to go to jail for what they believed. 但这些年轻人愿意为了 他们的信仰而坐牢。
We were working with Thurgood and A.P. Tureaud and all those people with the NAACP. 我们和瑟古德、A.P. 特劳德这些人, 与美国全国有色人种协进会合作。
But that was a slow move. 但那进行得很缓慢。
We would still be out here trying to get in the door, waiting for them. 我们还在外面等着进门,等他们。
(Laughter) (笑声)
PM: Is that Thurgood Marshall you're talking about? 帕特:你刚说的是瑟古德马歇尔吗?
LC: Thurgood Marshall. But I loved Thurgood. 利亚:瑟古德马歇尔。 但我爱瑟古德。
He was a good movement. 他是个好运动。
They wanted to do this without offending anybody. 他们希望这么做不会冒犯到任何人。
offending:adj.烦人的;令人不安的;有罪的;v.得罪;犯罪;(offend的现在分词)
I'll never forget A.P. Tureaud: "But you can't offend the white people. 我永远忘不了 A.P. 特劳德说: 「但你不能冒犯白人。
Don't offend them." 不要冒犯他们。」
But these young people didn't care. 但这些年轻人不在乎。
They said, "We're going. Ready or not, we're going to do this." 他们说:「我们要去。 不论准备好了没,我们要去做。」
And so we had to support them. 所以我们得要支持他们。
These were the children we knew, righteous children. 我们认识这些孩子, 都是正直的孩子。
righteous:adj.正义的;正直的;公正的;
We had to help them. 我们得要幫他们。
PM: And they brought the change. LC: And they brought the change. 帕特:而他们带来了改变。 利亚:而他们带来了改变。
You know, it was hard, but sometimes you do hard things to make changes. 我知道,那很困难, 但有时要做困难的事才能造成改变。
PM: And you've seen so many of those changes. 帕特:你看过了这么多的改变。
The restaurant has been a bridge. 那间餐厅一直是座桥樑。
You have been a bridge between the past and now, but you don't live in the past, do you? 你一直是过去与现在间的桥樑, 但你并没有活在过去,对吧?
You live very much in the present. 你完全活在当下。
LC: And that's what you have to tell young people today. 利亚:那就是现今 你得要告诉年轻人的。
OK, you can protest, but put the past behind you. 好,你们可以抗议, 但过去的就过去了。
I can't make you responsible for what your grandfather did. 我不能要你为你祖父做的事情负责。
responsible:adj.负责的,可靠的;有责任的;
That's your grandfather. 那是你的祖父。
I have to build on that. 我得要用那当作基础。
I have to make changes. 我得要做出改变。
I can't stay there and say, "Oh, well, look what they did to us then. 我不能留在那里并说: 「喔,看看他们当时对我们做的。
Look what they do to us now." 看看他们现在对我们做的。」
No, you remember that, but that makes you keep going on, but you don't harp on it every day. 不行,你记得那事, 但那事会让你继续走下去, 你不能每天反覆诉说那事。
harp:n.竖琴;竖琴状的东西;v.弹竖琴;唠叨地反复讲;
You move, and you move to make a difference , and everybody should be involved . 你要前进, 你要前进才能造成不同, 而每个人都该涉入。
make a difference:有影响,有关系; involved:adj.有关的; v.涉及; (involve的过去式和过去分词)
My children said, "Mother, don't get political," you know. 我的孩子说: 「妈,别政治化了。」
(Laughter) (笑声)
'"Don't get political, because you know we don't like that." 「别政治化了,因为你知道 我们不喜欢那样。」
But you have to be political today. 但现今你得要政治化。
You have to be involved. 你得要涉入,
Be a part of the system. 成为体制的一部份。
Look how it was when we couldn't be a part of the system. 看看当我们不能成为体制 一部份的时候是什么情况。
When Dutch Morial became the mayor , it was a different feeling in the African-American community . 当莫瑞亚尔成为市长, 在非裔美国社区内有着不同的感受。
Dutch:adj.荷兰的; n.荷兰人; v.费用平摊地; mayor:n.市长;镇长; community:n.社区;[生态]群落;共同体;团体;
We felt a part of things. 我们觉得自己是什么的一部份。
Now we've got a mayor. 现在我们有了个市长。
We feel like we belong. 我们觉得有所归属。
Moon tried before Dutch came. 在莫瑞亚尔来之前,莫恩尝试过。
PM: Mayor Landrieu's father, Moon Landrieu.
LC: Mayor Landrieu's father, he took great, great risks by putting African-Americans in city hall . 利亚:兰德里厄市长的父亲, 他冒了很大的风险, 他让非裔美国人进入市政大厅。
city hall:n.市政府;市政厅;
He took a whipping for that for a long time, but he was a visionary , and he did those things that he knew was going to help the city. 他很长一段时间都因此被责难, 但他是个有远见的人, 他知道他做那些事情 能够幫助这个城市。
whipping:n.鞭打,鞭笞(作为惩罚); v.鞭打; (whip的现在分词) visionary:adj.梦想的;幻影的;n.空想家;梦想者;有眼力的人;
He knew we had to get involved. 他知道我们得要涉入。
So that's what we have to do. 那就是我们得做的。
We don't harp on that. 我们不要反覆一直说。
We just keep moving, and Mitch , you know, I tell Moon all the time, "You did a good thing," 我们继续前进就对了, 而米奇,你知道,我总是告诉莫恩, 「你做了一件好事」,
Mitch:vi.逃学;
but Mitch did one bigger than you and better than you. 但米奇做了一件 比你更大、更好的事。
When he pulled those statues down, 当他拆毁那些雕像,
statues:n.[建]雕像(statue的复数);v.在…处装饰;用雕像装饰(statue的三单形式);
I said, "Boy, you're crazy!" 我说:「天,你疯了!」
(Applause) (掌声)
You're crazy. 你疯了。
But it was a good political move. 但在政治上那是个很好的一步棋。
You know, when I saw P.T. Beauregard come down, 你知道,当我看到 P.T. 博雷加德倒下,
I was sitting looking at the news, and it just hit me what this was all about. 我正坐着看新闻, 它所代表的意义给了我很大的冲击。
To me, it wasn't about race; it was a political move. 对我来说,重点不是种族; 那是政治的一步棋。
And I got so furious , 而我好生气,
furious:adj.激烈的;狂怒的;热烈兴奋的;喧闹的;
I got back on that kitchen the next morning, and I said, come on, pick up your pants, and let's go to work, because you're going to get left behind. 隔天早上我回到厨房, 我说,来吧,准备好起来干活了, 因为你将会被丢下。
And that's what you have to do. 那就是你得做的。
You have to move on people, move on what they do. 你得要让人们动起来, 让他们做事的速度快一点。
It was going to bring visibility to the city. 那样会让城市能够看到。
visibility:n.可见性;能见度;能见距离
So you got that visibility -- move on it, uplift yourself, do what you have to do, and do it well. 当你有能见度时- 做些相应的行动,鼓舞你自己, 做你该做的, 且把它做好。
And that's all we do. 我们做的就只有这样。
That's all I try to do. 我试着做的就只有这样。
PM: But you just gave the formula for resilience . Right? 帕特:但你给出了 韧性的配方,对吧?
formula:n.公式; adj.(赛车)方程式的(指赛车要符合规定的体积,重量及汽缸容量等); resilience:n.恢复力;弹力;顺应力;
So you are clearly the best example we could find anywhere of resilience, so there must be something you think -- 很显然你是我们所能找到 最好的韧性例子, 所以一定有什么在你脑中...
LC: I like emotional strength. 利亚:我喜欢情绪力量。
emotional:adj.情绪的;易激动的;感动人的;
I like people with emotional and physical strength, and maybe that's bad for me. 我喜欢有情绪力量和身体力量的人, 也许那对我不好。
physical:adj.[物]物理的;身体的;物质的;符合自然法则的;n.体格检查;
My favorite all-time general was George Patton . 我最喜欢的将军是乔治巴顿。
all-time:adj.空前的;全部时间的;历来的; Patton:n.巴顿将军(美国二战名将);
You know, that wasn't too cool. 你知道,那样不是很酷。
(Laughter) (笑声)
PM: It's surprising. 帕特:很让人讶异。
LC: I've got George Patton hanging in my dining room because I want to remember. 利亚:我的餐厅就挂着乔治巴顿, 因为我想要记得。
dining room:n.餐厅;
He set goals for himself, and he was going to set out to reach those goals. 他为自己设立了目标, 且他打算要行动来达到那些目标。
He never stopped. 他从来没有停下来。
And I always remember his words: "Lead, follow, or get out of the way." 我永远记得他的话: 「领导、追随、 不然就闪边别挡路。」
Now, I can't lead -- 我无法领导。
(Applause) (掌声)
I can't be a leader, but I can follow a good leader, but I am not getting out of the way. 我不能当个好领导人, 但我能追随一个好的领导人, 但我不会闪边。
(Applause) (掌声)
But that's just what you have to do. 但那就是你得做的。
(Applause) (掌声)
If you can't lead -- leaders need followers, so if I help you up there, I'm going to ride on your coattails , and I can't count the coattails I've ridden upon. 如果你无法领导- 领导人需要追随者, 如果我协助你爬上去, 我就要骑在你的衣后摆上(沾光), 而我数不清我骑过的衣后摆了。
coattails:n.男装的上衣背尾;燕尾服的燕尾(coattail的复数形式);(用复数)燕尾提举力;
(Laughter) (笑声)
Feed you good. You'll help me out. 喂你好料,你就会幫助我。
(Laughter) (笑声)
And that's what life is all about. 人生就是这样。
Everybody can do something, but please get involved. 每个人都能做点什么, 但请一定要涉入。
Do something. 做点什么。
The thing we have to do in this city, in all cities -- mommas have to start being mommas today. 在这个城市我们得做的, 在所有城市- 现在妈妈得要开始做好母职。
mommas:n.妈妈;
You know? 你知道吗?
They have to start understanding -- when you bring this child in the world, you have to make a man out of it, you have to make a woman out of it, and it takes some doing. 她们得要开始了解, 当你把孩子带到世界上, 你就得让他成为一个男人, 你就得让她成为一个女人, 那需要努力。
It takes sacrifice . 那需要牺牲。
sacrifice:n.牺牲;舍弃;祭献;祭祀;祭品;v.牺牲;献出;作祭献
Maybe you won't have the long fingernails , maybe you won't have the pretty hair. 也许你将不会有长指甲, 也许你将不会有漂亮的头发。
fingernails:n.手指甲;(fingernail的复数)
But that child will be on the move, and that's what you have to do. 但那孩子将会有进展, 那就是你得要做的。
We have to concentrate on educating and making these children understand what it's all about. 你得要专注在教育上, 让这些孩子了解这一切的意义。
concentrate on:集中精力于;全神贯注于;
And I hate to tell you, gentlemen, it's going to take a good woman to do that. 我很不想告诉各位男士, 需要一位好女人才做得到那样。
It's going to take a good woman to do that. 需要一位好女人才做得到那样。
(Applause) (掌声)
Men can do their part. 男人能扮演他们的角色。
The other part is to just do what you have to do and bring it home, but we can handle the rest, and we will handle the rest. 就是做你该做的事, 并把它做好, 我们能处理剩下的, 我们会处理剩下的。
handle:n.[建]把手;柄;手感;口实;v.处理;操作;运用;买卖;触摸;
If you're a good woman, you can do that. 如果你是个好女人,你就能做到。
PM: You heard that first here. 帕特:你们在这里最先听到这句话。
We can handle the rest. 我们能处理剩下的。
LC: We can handle the rest. 利亚:我们能处理剩下的。
Mrs. Chase, thank you so much -- 蔡斯女士,非常谢谢你。
LC: Thank you. 利亚:谢谢你。
PM: for taking time out from the work you do every day in this community. 帕特:谢谢你从在这个社区内 每天的工作中抽时间出来。
LC: But you don't know what this does for me. 利亚:你不知道这对我有什么影响。
When I see all of these people, and come together -- people come to my kitchen from all over the world. 当我看到所有这些人结合在一起- 世界各地的人来到我的厨房。
I had people come from London, now twice this happened to me. 我遇过来自伦敦的人, 而且遇过两次。
First a man came, and I don't know why he came to this -- 首先,一个男人来, 我不知道为什么他来这...
Every year, the chefs do something called "Chef's Charity ." 每年,主厨会做 所谓的「主厨慈善」。
Charity:n.慈善;施舍;慈善团体;宽容;施舍物;
Well, it so happened I was the only woman there, and the only African-American there on that stage doing these demonstrations , and I would not leave until I saw another woman come up there, too. 刚好我是那里唯一的女性, 也是唯一的非裔美国人 在台上做示范, 我不会离开,除非我看到 另一个女人也上来。
demonstrations:n.示范,展示(demonstration复数);
I'm not going up -- they're going to carry me up there until you bring another woman up here. 我没有要上去- 他们得把我带上去那里, 直到你带另一个女人上去那里。
(Laughter) (笑声)
So they have another one now, so I could step down. 所以他们现在有另一个女人, 我就能退下了。
But this man was from London. 但来自伦敦的这个男人...
So after that, I found the man in my kitchen. 那之后,我在我的厨房遇到那个人。
He came to my kitchen, and he said, "I want to ask you one question." 他来到我的厨房, 他说:「我想要问你一个问题。」
OK, I thought I was going to ask something about food. 好,我心想应该是 和食物有关的问题。
'"Why do all these white men hang around you?" 「为什么这些白种男人 都跟你混在一起?」
hang around:闲荡;徘徊;
(Laughter) (笑声)
What? 什么?
(Laughter) (笑声)
I couldn't understand. 我无法理解。
He couldn't understand that. 他无法了解那状况。
I said, "We work together. 我说:「我们一起工作。
This is the way we live in this city. 我们在这个城市里就是这样生活的。
I may never go to your house, you may never come to my house. 我可能永远不会去你家, 你永远不会来我家。
But when it comes to working, like raising money for this special school , we come together. 但到了工作时, 比如为特殊学校募款, 我们就会携手合作。
special school:n.特殊学校(为有身体障碍或学习障碍的儿童设立);
That's what we do. 我们就是这样做的。
And still here comes another, a woman, elegantly dressed, about a month ago in my kitchen. 然后又有一个女人来, 穿得很高雅, 大约一个月前,来我的厨房。
elegantly:adv.优美地;
She said, "I don't understand what I see in your dining room." 她说:「我不了解我在 你的餐厅中所看见的景象。」
I said, "What do you see?" 我说:「你看见什么?」
She saw whites and blacks together. 她看到白人和黑人在一起。
That's what we do. 我们就是这样做的。
We meet. We talk. 我们见面,我们交谈。
And we work together, and that's what we have to do. 我们一起工作, 那就是我们得要做的。
You don't have to be my best friend to work to better your city, to better your country. 你不需要成为我最好的朋友, 也能改善你的城市、 改善你的国家。
We just have to come together and work, and that's what we do in this city. 我们只需要结合在一起努力, 那就是我们在这个城市中所做的。
We're a weird bunch down here. 我们是很怪异的一群人。
weird:adj.奇怪的;奇异的;离奇的;n.命运;宿命;命运女神;
(Laughter) (笑声)
Nobody understands us, but we feed you well. 没有人了解我们, 但我们把你们喂养得很好。
(Laughter) (笑声)
(Applause) (掌声)
(Cheering) (欢呼)
Thank you. 谢谢。
(Applause) (掌声)