返回首页

LaurenPharr_2017X-_秃鹫如何助解罪案_

[This talk contains graphic images] 【這個演講包含生動的圖像】
graphic:adj.形象的;图表的;绘画似的;
My parents always wanted me to be a doctor. 我的父母總是希望我成為醫生。
But a doctor that studies how vultures eat dead things is probably not the type of doctor my parents had in mind. 但是研究禿鷲吃死屍的醫生 可能不是我父母想到的那種醫生。
vultures:n.兀鹫;秃鹫;趁火打劫的人;(vulture的复数)
(Laughter) (笑聲)
I study vulture scavenging behavior and how vultures affect crime scenes. 我研究禿鷲的清除行為 以及禿鷲如何影響犯罪現場。
scavenging:v.(从废弃物中)觅食;捡破烂;拾荒;(scavenge的现在分词)
I'm here to talk to you about how we take vultures for granted in forensic science. 我在這裡談我們如何把禿鷲 視為理所當然的法醫科學。
granted:v.不错,的确; conj.因为; v.同意,准予,允许; (grant的过去分词和过去式) forensic:adj.法院的;辩论的;适于法庭的;
Before we do that, I want to tell you a story. 在此之前,我想告訴你一個故事。
So we're going to take a trip, all 1,000 of us. 我們所有的 1000 人要去旅行。
It's May 2014 and we're standing in a park in Nashville , Tennessee , because we've been at a horse race . 2014 年 5 月,我們站在 田納西州納許維爾的一個公園裡, 因為我們剛去看了賽馬。
Nashville:n.那什维尔(美国田纳西州首府); Tennessee:n.田纳西州(美国州名); horse race:n.赛马;
As we wait for the porta potty , we see two ladies in their Sunday best : heels , pearls and lovely, floppy derby hats. 在等待上流動廁所時, 我們看到身著星期天上教堂的 最佳衣裳的兩位女士: 高跟鞋、珍珠 和可愛的圓頂窄邊禮帽。
porta:n.肝门; potty:adj.傻气的; n.便壶; Sunday best:最好的衣服;礼拜服; heels:n.高跟鞋(heel的复数);脚踝;残余料;v.紧跟;给(鞋等)装跟(heel的三单形式); pearls:n.珍珠;像珍珠之物;(pearl的复数) floppy:adj.松软的;叭嗒叭嗒响的;懒散的,邋遢的;n.软磁碟; derby:n.德比(英国中部的都市);德比赛马;大赛马;
At any moment, we expect them to start talking about their grandma's fine china. 我們預期她們就快開始談論 她們祖母的精緻瓷器。
But they don't. 但她們沒談論那些。
Instead, we hear them say, "Oh, look. 反而我們聽到她們說: 「哦,看!
Something must be dead." 一定有東西死了。」
We look up and to the left and see vultures circling round and round. 我們抬頭向左望, 看到禿鷲一再地盤旋。
It occurred to me at this very moment that if these ladies at the derby are aware of vulture's connection to death, then why aren't we talking more about these birds at crime scenes? 那時我想到, 如果這些看賽馬的女士 知道禿鷲與死亡的聯繫, 那為什麼我們不多談論 出現在犯罪現場的這些鳥?
occurred:v.发生;出现;存在于;出现在;(occur的过去分词和过去式)
People know that vultures are connected to death. 人們知道禿鷲與死亡有關。
But they don't really understand how. 但他們並不真正了解如何有關。
For example, here's an email I received from a detective in Louisiana : "Lauren, there's been a kidnapping. 例如,我收到路易斯安那州 一名偵探發來的電子郵件: 「蘿倫,有一起綁架事件。
detective:n.侦探;警探;私人侦探;adj.侦查(用)的 Louisiana:n.美国路易斯安那州;
What buzzards or vultures do we have in Louisiana?" 我們在路易斯安那州 有什麼鵟鷹或禿鷲?」
buzzards:n.秃鹰类;贪婪卑鄙的小人;
Before we address the kidnapping, 在我們談論綁架事件之前
I'll first address this buzzard/vulture question I get all the time. 會先談談我一直會遇到的 鵟鷹/禿鷲問題。
Buzzards don't live in the United States. 鵟鷹不住在美國。
United:adj.联合的; v.联合,团结; (unite的过去分词和过去式)
They are hawks that live in Europe. 牠們是生活在歐洲的鷹。
The big black birds you see circling in the sky within the US are vultures. 你在美國天空中 看到的大黑鳥是禿鷲。
The two types of vultures that live in Louisiana are the turkey vulture and black vulture. 住在路易斯安那州的兩種禿鷲 是火雞禿鷲和黑禿鷲。
To fully understand the role of vultures in forensic science, 為了充分理解禿鷲 在法庭科學中的作用,
I'll walk you through this forensic case. 我會引導你走過這件法醫案子。
From the email, certain things become apparent . 從電子郵件中,某些事情變得明顯。
apparent:adj.显然的;表面上的;
We can assume the detective thinks the individual is dead. 我們可以假設 偵探認為這個人已經死了。
assume:v.承担;假定;采取;呈现; individual:n.个人;有个性的人;adj.单独的;个别的;
And he wants to use the birds to try to find the body. 他想用這些鳥來尋找屍體。
Like the ladies in Nashville, the detective thinks that vultures circling in the sky will lead him to the body. 就像納許維爾的女士們一樣, 偵探認為在天空中盤旋的禿鷲 會將他引向屍體。
It's not that simple. 並不是這麼簡單。
I don't know if you've ever seen a vulture up close or spent much time with them, but they're huge, huge. 我不知道你是否曾近距離看過禿鷲, 或花長時間與牠們在一起, 但牠們非常巨大。 但牠們非常巨大。
Six-foot wingspan . 翼展 6 英尺。
wingspan:n.翼展;翼幅;
Vultures circle in the air because they are too big to flap their wings and fly, so they soar . 禿鷲在空中盤旋, 因為牠們太大,以致無法拍翅飛翔, 所以牠們翱翔。
flap:n.拍打,拍打声; v.拍动; (帽边等)垂下; soar:v.翱翔;高飞;猛增;高耸;n.翱翔;上升高度;高飞范围;
They soar in thermals , which are vortexes or little tornadoes caused by pressure differences in the air that form throughout the day as the sun heats up the ground. 牠們在熱浪中翱翔, 而形成的漩渦或小型龍捲風。
thermals:n.热裂法炭黑;保暖内衣裤;上升暖气流(thermal的复数); vortexes:n.漩涡(vortex的复数); tornadoes:n.[气象]龙卷风(tornado的复数); throughout:adv.自始至终,到处;全部;prep.贯穿,遍及;
Therefore, when you see a circling vulture, the bird is usually traveling from point A to B, rather than circling above something dead. 因此,當你看到一隻盤旋的禿鷲時, 牠通常是在從 A 點飛到 B 點, 而不是在死屍上方盤旋。
Actually, if you want to use a vulture to try to find a body, look for a vulture in a tree or on a fence post. 其實如果你想用禿鷲尋找屍體, 要在樹上或柵欄上尋找禿鷲。
Vultures are too big and slow to hunt. 禿鷲太大、太慢,無法狩獵。
So they have to scavenge . 所以牠們必須當清道夫。
scavenge:vt.打扫;排除废气;以…为食;vi.清除污物;打扫;
In fact, vultures are the only animals in the world that depend upon death as a food source . 事實上,禿鷲是世界上唯一 依靠死屍作為食物來源的動物。
depend upon:依赖;取决于; source:n.来源;水源;原始资料;
The turkey vulture that you see here is super cool, because it's one of the few bird species that can actually smell. 你在這裡看到的火雞禿鷲非常酷, 因為牠是少數 真正具有嗅覺的鳥類之一。
species:n.[生物]物种;种类;
It hones in on the deceased by sensing a chemical that's coming off the body during decay . 牠透過感應屍體衰變過程中 冒出的化學物質 找到死屍。
hones:n.细磨刀石(hone的复数);v.用磨刀石磨(hone的第三人称单数); deceased:adj.死去了的;已死的;n.死者; chemical:n.化学制品,化学药品;adj.化学的; decay:v.(使)腐烂;破败;(力量、影响等)衰弱;n.腐烂;腐朽;衰退;
The evolutionary role of the vulture is to rid the earth of harmful toxins produced following death. 禿鷲的進化作用 是消除死屍產生的有害毒素。
evolutionary:adj.进化的;发展的;渐进的; toxins:n.[毒物]毒素,毒质;毒素类(toxin的复数);
Once death has been detected , the turkey vulture lands and quickly scavenges . 一旦發現死屍, 火雞禿鷲就會降落和迅速地拾荒。
detected:v.发现;查明;侦察出;(detect的过去分词和过去式) scavenges:vt.打扫;排除废气;以…为食;vi.清除污物;打扫;
Vultures usually remove the eyes first, then tear the skin, start pulling the tissues , and leave you with a skeleton . 禿鷲通常先摘下眼睛, 然後撕開皮膚, 開始拉扯肌肉組織,留下骨架。
tissues:n.纸巾,手巾纸;(人、动植物细胞的)组织;(tissue的复数) skeleton:n.骨架,骨骼;纲要;骨瘦如柴的人;adj.骨骼的;骨瘦如柴的;概略的;
Therefore, the importance of vultures is not in the air, but on the ground. 因此禿鷲的重要性 不在空中而在地面。
Vulture scavenging is somewhat gruesome . 禿鷲的清除有點可怕。
somewhat:n.几分;某物;adv.有点;多少;几分;稍微; gruesome:adj.可怕的;阴森的;
If you're ever on a bad first date, just reference this talk, and I don't think you'll have to worry about your potential suitor giving you another call. 如果你的第一次約會很糟糕, 那麼請引用這個演講的話題, 我認為你不必擔心 你的潛在追求者會再打電話給你。
reference:n.参考,提及;参考书目;证明书;v.引用; potential:n.潜能;可能性;[电]电势;adj.潜在的;可能的;势的; suitor:n.求婚者;有意收购另一公司的公司;
(Laughter) (笑聲)
Although gruesome, vultures are key forensic players, and here's why. 雖然可怕,禿鷲是關鍵的參與法醫, 這是為什麼。
Vultures will consume a dead human just like they will consume roadkill . 禿鷲會嚥下死人的屍體, 就像牠們會嚥下路上 被車輛碾死的動物屍體一樣。
consume:v.消耗;吃;毁灭;烧毁; roadkill:n.在公路上被车撞死的动物;
But you don't ever hear about that, and it's because vultures are so good at what they do. 但你未曾聽說過這些 乃是因為禿鷲很擅長於牠們的工作。
If vultures depend on death for survival and if they scavenge humans, then how can vultures be absent from forensic textbooks and training manuals ? 如果禿鷲靠死屍維生、 清除人類的屍體, 那為什麼禿鷲沒被列在 法醫教科書和培訓手冊中呢?
survival:n.幸存,残存;幸存者,残存物; absent:adj.缺席的;缺少的;心不在焉的;茫然的;v.使缺席; manuals:n.手册,指南;说明书(manual的复数);
The answer: the tradition has been for researchers to exclude animal scavengers from decomposition studies by placing a cage over the decaying subject matter . 答案是: 傳統上研究人員 把腐爛的東西放在籠子裡, 防止清除的動物接近。
exclude:v.不包括;不放在考虑之列;防止…进入;阻止…参加; scavengers:n.食腐动物;清道夫;[助剂]清除剂;拾荒者; decomposition:n.分解,腐烂;变质; decaying:v.(使)腐烂;破败;(力量、影响等)衰弱;(decay的现在分词) subject matter:n.题材;
Why? 為什麼?
Because researchers were afraid an animal would run away with their subject matter and they wouldn't have any data to report -- consequently excluding animals' results in a lengthy skeletonization process , and this information is currently what detectives use during investigations . 因為研究人員怕 動物會帶著被分析的東西跑走, 讓他們沒數據可供報告。 因此,排除動物於解剖過程外的結果 是目前偵探偵查時使用的資訊。
run away with:轻易获得;偷走;同…私奔; consequently:adv.因此;结果;所以; excluding:prep.不包括; v.不包括; lengthy:adj.漫长的,冗长的;啰唆的; process:v.处理;加工;列队行进;n.过程,进行;方法,adj.经过特殊加工(或处理)的; currently:adv.当前;一般地; detectives:n.侦探;警探;私人侦探;(detective的复数) investigations:n.调查(investigation的复数);
A lot of times at a crime scene when people see a skeletonized body, they think, "Wow, this has been here for a really long time undiscovered ." 常常人們在犯罪現場看到骷髏時, 會想:「哇,在被發現之前 這已存在很長一段時間了。」
skeletonized:vt.使成骸骨;记下概要;大量减掉人员;vi.变得极瘦;写成梗概; undiscovered:adj.未被发现的;未勘探的;
Oh, no, no, no, no. 哦,不,不,不,不。
Vultures accelerate decay. 禿鷲加速腐爛。
accelerate:v.加快;加速;n.接受速成教育的学生;
And the skeletonized body could have been there for as little as five days if scavenged by vultures. 如果禿鷲清除過那個屍體, 骷髏可能只在那裡短短的五天而已。
scavenged:vt.打扫;排除废气;以…为食;vi.清除污物;打扫;
The failure to account for vulture scavenging can result in forensic scientists inaccurately estimating how long someone has been dead and then searching through the wrong missing person's files. 沒算上禿鷲的清除, 可能導致法醫科學家 不準確地估計某人死亡了多久, 以致搜索錯誤的失踪人員檔案。
account for:对…负有责任;对…做出解释;说明…的原因;导致;(比例)占; inaccurately:adv.不准确地;不正确地; estimating:v.估价;估算;(estimate的现在分词)
Therefore, the goal is to get forensic scientists to focus on vulture evidence and to get law enforcement to consider vulture scavenging and a possible recent death when skeletal remains are found. 因此,我們的目標 是讓法醫科學家專注於禿鷲證據, 並讓執法機構考慮禿鷲的清除, 來發現骨骼遺骸可能的死亡時間。
evidence:n.证据,证明;迹象;明显;v.证明; enforcement:n.执行,实施;强制; skeletal:adj.骨骼的,像骨骼的;骸骨的;骨瘦如柴的;
Let's get back to the importance of the kidnapping case. 讓我們回到綁架案件的重要性。
I responded to the detectives and told them that vultures like areas with water. 我回應偵探, 告訴他們禿鷲喜歡有水的地方。
responded:v.回答,回应;作出反应;响应;反应灵敏;(respond的过去式和过去分词)
They like areas with white-tailed deer, they typically arrive within the first five days following death, they're going to leave an intact spinal column and feathers. 牠們喜歡有白尾鹿的地區, 牠們通常在死後的頭五天內到達, 牠們將留下完整的脊椎和羽毛。
typically:adv.代表性地;作为特色地; intact:adj.完整的;原封不动的;未受损伤的; spinal column:n.脊柱;
The detectives write back and say, "We found the body buried in a shallow grave . 偵探回信說: 「我們發現屍體被埋在一個淺墳裡。
grave:adj.重大的;严肃的;黯淡的;n.墓穴,坟墓;死亡;v.雕刻;铭记;
We also found the feathers you mentioned." 我們還發現了你提到的羽毛。」
But there appeared to be a problem because the feathers were located 40 yards from where the body was found. 但似乎有一個問題, 因為羽毛距離 發現屍體的地方 40 碼遠。
located:adj.位于; v.确定…的准确地点; (locate的过去分词和过去式)
The feathers were next to a bloody pine cone . 羽毛旁邊是一個血淋淋的松果。
bloody:adj.血腥的;血淋淋的;v.血染; pine cone:n.松球;松果;
Vultures aren't attracted to blood, and they typically don't wander. 禿鷲不會被血吸引, 牠們通常不會漫遊。
They might wander 40 feet, but they're not going to wander 40 yards. 牠們可能閒蕩 40 英尺, 但牠們不會閒蕩 40 碼。
That would be a waste of energy for a bird that doesn't know when it will get its next meal. 那會浪費能量, 對於一隻不知道什麼時候 能吃下一頓飯的鳥而言。
So my first job here was to determine if vultures were at the scene. 我先得確定禿鷲是否曾出現在現場。
determine:v.决定;确定;测定;查明;形成;影响;裁决;安排;
Indeed, the feather by the pine cone was consistent with the turkey vulture. 事實上,松果旁的羽毛 與火雞禿鷲的相同。
consistent:adj.始终如一的,一致的;坚持的;
So why in the world would a vulture wander 40 yards? 那怎會有隻禿鷲閒蕩 40 碼遠呢?
One of the reasons I love vultures is because they tend to operate in a manner that can be explained by biology and physics. 我愛禿鷲的原因之一 是牠們傾向的運作方式 可用生物學和物理學來解釋。
in a manner:在某种意义上;在某种程度上; biology:n.(一个地区全部的)生物;生物学;
I started mentally going through the numerous bating experiments 我開始在腦袋裡回想 曾在德州的大體農場
mentally:adv.精神上,智力上;心理上; numerous:adj.许多的,很多的; bating:prep.除…外;v.抑制;减少;省掉(bate的现在分词);
I had conducted at a body farm in Texas. 進行的無數軟化實驗。
conducted:v.组织;安排;实施;执行;指挥;带领;引导;(conduct的过去分词和过去式)
A body farm is a place where you can donate your body to science. 大體農場是可將自己的大體 捐獻供科學研究的地方。
donate:v.赠送;献(血);捐献(器官);
I also went through my experiences with trapping and GPS tagging vultures. 我還回想起捕捉 和幫禿鷲貼 GPS 標籤的經驗,
trapping:v.使陷入困境;卡住;夹住;收集;吸收;(trap的现在分词) tagging:n.标记;锻尖;v.加标签于;附加;把…称为(tag的现在分词形式);
And then the year-long process of monitoring vultures via remote GPS technology . 以及其後通過遠程 GPS 技術 監測禿鷲一年的過程。
year-long:长达一年的,一年之久的; via:prep.通过;经由;n.道路;[医]管道; remote:adj.偏远的;偏僻的;遥远的;久远的; technology:n.技术;工艺;术语;
Next, I brought up my field notes and had an "Aha!" moment. 接著我拿出田野筆記, 「啊哈」,我知道了!
I knew of two things that would lure a vulture 40 yards from a body. 我知道有兩樣東西會引誘 禿鷲離開屍體 40 碼:
lure:n.诱惑;饵;诱惑物;v诱惑;引诱;
Guts and brain matter. 膽和腦的物質。
Guts:n.勇气;肠道;内脏;v.损毁内部;取出…的内脏;(gut的第三人称单数和复数)
I presented this information to the detectives and learned that they suspected the victim had been incapacitated by blunt force trauma to the head. 我提供這些資訊給偵探們, 並獲悉他們懷疑受害人因為 頭部被鈍器擊傷而喪失行動的能力。
suspected:v.怀疑;不信任;(suspect的过去分词和过去式) victim:n.受害人;牺牲品;牺牲者; incapacitated:v.丧失能力,欠缺行为能力(incapacitate的过去分词);adj.不能行动的; blunt:adj.钝的,不锋利的;生硬的;直率的;v.使迟钝; trauma:n.[外科]创伤(由心理创伤造成精神上的异常);外伤;
The blow to the head was thought to have occurred in the area where the pine cone was found, and then the victim was drug 40 yards and buried in a shallow grave. 頭部被重擊 據信發生在發現松果的地區, 然後受害人被拖行 40 碼,
This suggested that brain matter was the lure for the vulture and illustrates how studying vulture behavior can help piece together some of the evidence. 這表明腦物質誘惑了禿鷲, 並說明了研究禿鷲的行為 有助於拼湊出一些證據。
illustrates:v.阐明;举例说明(illustrate的三单形式);给…加插图; piece together:拼凑;
The detectives also sent me this photo. 偵探們也發這張照片給我。
The victim's arm is sticking up out of the grave. 受害者的手臂伸出墳土外。
As a forensic scientist, you have to think about the whole picture. 作為法醫科學家必須考慮整個情況。
The feather by the pine cone indicated that vultures were at the scene. 松果旁的羽毛表明禿鷲去過現場。
indicated:v.表明;显示;象征;暗示;示意;(indicate的过去分词和过去式)
This crime scene photo also depicts characteristic vulture scavenging behavior. 這個犯罪現場照片 還描繪了禿鷲清除行為的特徵。
depicts:vt.描述;描画; characteristic:n.特征;特点;品质;adj.典型的;独特的;特有的;
We zoom in, we see a white down feather, which is characteristic of the turkey vulture. 放大近看,能看到一支白羽毛, 這是火雞禿鷲的特徵。
Also note that the skin has a cut-like tear near the wrist . 也請注意,在手腕附近的皮膚 有切割般的撕裂傷。
wrist:n.手腕;腕关节;v.用腕力移动[送出,抛掷等];
The turkey vulture smells the decay, lands. 火雞禿鷲聞到腐屍而降落著地。
It can get through the pine needles , pull out the hand, it's going to tear the skin with its beak and then start pulling the soft tissues away from the bone. 牠能穿過松針, 拉出手, 用喙撕開皮膚, 然後開始拉扯骨頭上的軟組織。
needles:n.针数,千针本;[印刷]折页顶针(needle复数形式); beak:n.[鸟]鸟嘴;鹰钩鼻子;地方执法官;男教师;
Just tear and pull, tear and pull, tear and pull. 就撕和拉,撕和拉,撕和拉。
This photo illustrates the scavenging efficiency of vultures. 這張照片說明禿鷲的清除效率。
efficiency:n.效率;效能;功效;
This is important because it helps support the time line the detectives are putting together for the murder. 這很重要,因為它有助於支持 偵探拼湊的謀殺時間軸。
There's not a whole lot of evidence. 沒有很多證據。
You're not likely going to see the vultures at the crime scene. 你太不可能在犯罪現場看到禿鷲,
Instead, vultures just leave these very subtle clues . 反而是禿鷲只留下 這些非常微妙的線索。
subtle:adj.微妙的;精细的;敏感的;狡猾的;稀薄的; clues:n.(调查,研究等的)线索;迹象;(故事的)关键情节;(clue的复数)
Rather than looking for the vulture, look for the feathers and pristine bones. 不是尋找禿鷲, 而是尋找羽毛 和在原始狀態下的骨頭。
pristine:adj.原始的,古时的;纯朴的;
Vultures are important because they are so good and fast at what they do. 禿鷲很重要, 因為牠們做得非常好,速度也很快。
They're like tornadoes. 牠們就像龍捲風。
If you blink , you will miss them. 如果你眨眼就會錯過了。
blink:vt.眨眼;使…闪烁;vi.眨眼;闪烁;n.眨眼;瞬间;闪光;
I provided my opinion about the vulture evidence to the detective. 我提供偵探有關禿鷲證據的意見。
provided:conj.假如; v.提供; (provide的过去分词和过去式)
And he presented the vulture evidence in court. 他將禿鷲的證據呈上法庭。
The kidnapping case was a death penalty case. 那宗綁架案是死刑案件。
death penalty:死刑;
And the defendant was found guilty . 被告被判有罪。
defendant:adj.[法律]被告的;辩护的;n.[法律]被告人;被告方; guilty:adj.有罪的;内疚的;
This case illustrates how studying vulture behavior helps innovate forensic science. 這個案例說明了研究禿鷲行為 如何幫助創新法庭科學。
innovate:vi.创新;改革;革新;vt.改变;创立;创始;引人;
Someone who has been murdered deserves the most thorough investigation possible. 有人遇害 值得進行最徹底的調查。
deserves:v.值得;应得;应受;(deserve的第三人称单数) thorough:adj.彻底的;十分的;周密的;
When we include vultures in forensic studies, we paint a more thorough picture of what happened, when it happened and who it happened to. 我們研究法醫學時把禿鷲包括在內, 能對發生的事、發生的時間 以及遭遇的人進行更全面的描述。
So, the next time you're at a crime scene with a dead body -- 所以下次你處理犯罪現場的屍體時,
(Laughter) (笑聲)
look to the ground to find the clues vultures have left. 在地面找找禿鷲留下的線索。
And if anyone ever brings up vultures on a date, you'll know they're a keeper. 如果有人在約會時談起禿鷲, 你會知道他們是好對象。
Thank you. 謝謝。
(Applause) (掌聲)