返回首页

LarryBurns_2005-_汽车的未来_

People love their automobiles . 人人都爱车
automobiles:n.[车辆]汽车,发动器(automobile复数);关于汽车;
They allow us to go where we want to when we want to. 有了车,我们就能随时随地前往我们想去的地方
They're a form of entertainment, they're a form of art, a pride of ownership. 车是一种娱乐形式 是一种艺术形式 是一种因为所有权而产生的骄傲。
Songs are written about cars. 有许多关于汽车的歌曲
Prince wrote a great song: "Little Red Corvette ." 王子(Prince )写了一首很棒的《小小红色雪佛兰》
Corvette:n.轻巡洋舰;轻武装快舰;
He didn't write "Little Red Laptop Computer" or "Little Red Dirt Devil ." 他写的不是《小红笔记本电脑》,也不是《小红吸尘器》
Laptop:n.便携式电脑;笔记本电脑; Dirt:n.污垢;尘土;下流话; Devil:n.魔鬼;撒旦;家伙;恶棍;淘气鬼;冒失鬼;v.虐待,折磨;扯碎;做助手;
He wrote about a car. 而是关于一辆车的歌曲
And one of my favorites has always been, "Make love to your man in a Chevy van," 我最喜欢的歌是 《在雪佛兰里做爱吧》
Chevy:雪佛兰(Chevrolet);
because that was my vehicle when I was in college. 因为雪佛兰是我大学时期的座驾
vehicle:n.[车辆]车辆;工具;交通工具;运载工具;传播媒介;媒介物;
The fact is, when we do our market research around the world, we see that there's nearly a universal aspiration on the part of people to own an automobile. 实际上,我们在做世界范围的市场调研时 发现人们都是 对车充满渴望的
market research:n.市场调研;市场调查; universal:adj.普遍的;全体的;全世界的;共同的; aspiration:n.渴望;抱负;送气;吸气;吸引术; on the part of:就...而言;由...所作出的;在...一边;由...所表现出的;
And 750 million people in the world today own a car. 现在全球有7亿5千万人拥有汽车
And you say, boy, that's a lot. 你可能觉得,哇,这么多
But you know what? 但你们知道么
That's just 12 percent of the population. 这个数字仅仅占全球人口的12%
We really have to ask the question: 我们不得不产生这样的疑问:
Can the world sustain that number of automobiles? 地球经受得了这么多车么?
sustain:v.支持;支撑;遭受;证实;
And if you look at projections over the next 10 to 15 to 20 years, it looks like the world car park could grow to on the order of 1.1 billion vehicles . 如果你注意到对未来10年、15年至20年的预测 你会发现世界上停车场的数量将会增长到能容纳下11亿车辆
projections:n.预测;设想;投影;投影图;(projection的复数) vehicles:n.车辆;飞行器;运行工具;(vehicles是vehicle的复数)
Now, if you parked those end to end and wrapped them around the Earth, that would stretch around the Earth 125 times. 如果将这些车首尾相连 绕地球停放 那么其长度将是地球周长的125倍
wrapped:adj.极高兴的;十分满意的;v.用…包裹;用…缠绕;(wrap的过去分词和过去式) stretch:v.伸展;延伸;伸出;舒展;n.伸展;弹性;舒展;一片;adj.有弹力的;
Now, we've made great progress with automobile technology over the last 100 years. 在过去的100年里,汽车技术飞速发展
technology:n.技术;工艺;术语;
Cars are dramatically cleaner, dramatically safer, more efficient and radically more affordable than they were 100 years ago. 汽车变得更加清洁、安全、高效 比起100年前,现在汽车已成为大众消费品,而不是让我们望而兴叹的东西
dramatically:adv.戏剧地;引人注目地;adv.显著地,剧烈地; efficient:adj.有效率的;有能力的;生效的; radically:adv.根本上;彻底地;以激进的方式; affordable:adj.负担得起的;
But the fact remains: the fundamental DNA of the automobile has stayed pretty much the same. 但实际上 汽车的基本构造功能没变
fundamental:n.基础; adj.十分重大的;
If we are going to reinvent the automobile today, rather than 100 years ago, knowing what we know about the issues associated with our product and about the technologies that exist today, what would we do? 如果我们今天来重新发明汽车,而不是在100年前, 在已经知道汽车的各种缺陷之后, 结合现在的各种先进技术 我们会如何制造汽车?
reinvent:v.以新形象示人;以新形式出现; issues:n.重要议题;争论的问题;v.宣布;公布;发出;(issue的第三人称单数和复数) associated:adj.有关联的; v.联想; (associate的过去分词和过去式) technologies:n.技术;科技(technology的复数);
We wanted something that was really affordable. 我们需要的是人们能够买得起的汽车
The fuel cell looked great: one-tenth as many moving parts and a fuel-cell propulsion system as an internal combustion engine -- and it emits just water. 燃料电池似乎不错 只有其他许多移动部件的十分之一大 并且燃料电池推进系统作为内燃机 仅仅释放出水而已
propulsion:n.推进;推进力; internal:n.内脏;本质;adj.内部的;里面的;体内的;(机构)内部的; combustion:n.燃烧,氧化;骚动; emits:发出;放射;发行(emit的动词单数第三人称形式);
And we wanted to take advantage of Moore's Law with electronic controls and software, and we absolutely wanted our car to be connected. 我们想通过摩尔定律来 解释电子控制系统和软件方面的更新 同时我们也希望车辆之间能互通联系
take advantage of:利用; electronic:adj.电子的;电子器件的;电子设备的; absolutely:adv.绝对地;完全地;
So we embarked upon the reinvention around an electrochemical engine the fuel cell, hydrogen as the energy carrier. 所以我们开始着手改造 电化学发动机里的燃料电池, 使氢作为能源载体
embarked:v.上船;装船;(embark的过去式和过去分词) reinvention:n.再创造,重塑。; electrochemical:adj.[物化]电化学的;[物化]电气化学的; hydrogen:n.氢;氢气;
First was Autonomy . 最初,通用汽车研发出的是一款名为Autonomy的概念车
Autonomy:n.自治,自治权;
Autonomy really set the vision for where we wanted to head. 它奠定了通用汽车之后的环保车发展方向
vision:n.视力;美景;幻象;想象力;v.想象;显现;梦见;
We embodied all of the key components of a fuel cell propulsion system. 对于燃料电池推进系统的设计,我们整合了所有关键性的元素
embodied:v.呈现(embody的过去式及过去分词形式);具体表达; components:n.部件;组件;成份(component复数);
We then had Autonomy drivable with Hy-Wire, and we showed Hy-Wire here at this conference last year. 之后,我们在Autonomy中融入氢燃料电池-线传操控技术 去年的这个研讨会上曾展出过Hy-Wire概念车
drivable:adj.可驱使的,可行驶的; conference:n.会议;研讨会;商讨会;体育协会(或联合会)
Hy-Wire is the world's first drivable fuel cell, and we have followed up that now with Sequel . 它是世界上第一款可驾驶的燃料电池汽车 在Autonomy和Hy-Wire之后,现在我们又带来最新一代的氢燃料电池车Sequel
Sequel:n.续集;结局;继续;后果;
And Sequel truly is a real car. Sequel是辆真正意义上的汽车,而非概念车
So if we would run the video -- 让我们看看这个视频短片吧
But the real key question I'm sure that's on your mind: where's the hydrogen going to come from? 但你们肯定都有这样一个关键的疑问 氢气从何而来
And secondly, when are these kinds of cars going to be available? 还有这种燃料电池汽车什么时候能真正面世
So let me talk about hydrogen first. 我先谈谈氢气吧
The beauty of hydrogen is it can come from so many different sources : it can come from fossil fuels, it can come from any way that you can create electricity , including renewables . 氢气的奇妙之处在于它来源丰富: 石油, 任何能产生电能的方式 包括可再生能源
sources:n.来源;出处;起源;根源;原因;v.(从…)获得(source的第三人称单数和复数) fossil:n.化石;老人;老古董;adj.从地下发掘出来的;化石的;属于旧时代的;陈腐的; electricity:n.电力;电流;强烈的紧张情绪; renewables:n.可再生能源(renewable的复数);
And it can come from biofuels . 生物燃料也能产生氢气
biofuels:n.[能源]生物燃料;生质燃料;生质能源(biofuel的复数形式);
And that's quite exciting. 这很棒吧
The vision here is to have each local community play to its natural strength in creating the hydrogen. 我们的愿景是 每一个社区内 都能够稀松平常地 获得氢气
community:n.社区;[生态]群落;共同体;团体;
A lot of hydrogen's produced today in the world. 当今世界热衷于生产氢气
It's produced to get sulphur out of gasoline 因为氢气能减少汽油的消耗
sulphur:n.硫磺;硫磺色;vt.使硫化;用硫磺处理; gasoline:n.汽油;
- which I find is somewhat ironic . 这让我觉得有点讽刺意味
somewhat:n.几分;某物;adv.有点;多少;几分;稍微; ironic:adj.讽刺的;反话的;
It's produced in the fertilizer industry; it's produced in the chemical manufacturing industry. 化肥工业生产氢气 化学工业生产氢气
fertilizer:n.[肥料]肥料;受精媒介物;促进发展者; manufacturing:n.制造业;工业;v.制造;生产(manufacture的现在分词);
That hydrogen's being made because there's a good business reason for its use. 生产氢气是因为 它具有良好的经济效益
But it tells us that we know how to create it, we know how to create it cost effectively, we know how to handle it safely. 但关键是我们知道如何生产氢气 如何降低生产氢气的成本 以及如何进行安全生产
handle:n.[建]把手;柄;手感;口实;v.处理;操作;运用;买卖;触摸;
We did an analysis where you would have a station in each city with each of the 100 largest cities in the United States, and located the stations so you'd be no more than two miles from a station at any time. 我们做了个分析 在全美100个最大的城市里 设定一个车站 将车站设定在 无论何时你都距其不大于2英里的范围内
analysis:n.分析;分解;验定; United:adj.联合的; v.联合,团结; (unite的过去分词和过去式) located:adj.位于; v.确定…的准确地点; (locate的过去分词和过去式) no more than:adv.只是;仅仅;
We put one every 25 miles on the freeway , and it turns out that translates into about 12,000 stations. 我们在高速公路上每隔25英里设一个车站 那么大约有1万2千个车站
freeway:n.高速公路;
And at a million dollars each, that would be about 12 billion dollars. 如果一个车站需要花费100万美元 那么就需要花费120亿美元
Now that's a lot of money. 这可是一大笔钱
But if you built the Alaskan pipeline today, that's half of what the Alaskan pipeline would cost. 但如果现在开建阿拉斯加输油管 120亿美元仅是铺设输油管的所花费的一半而已
But the real exciting vision that we see truly is home refuelling , much like recharging your laptop or recharging your cellphone . 我们认为最激动人心的前景是在家加油 就像在家里给笔记本或手机充电一样
refuelling:n.[核]换料;补充注油;v.[核]换料;补充注油(refuel的ing形式); recharging:v.给(电池)充电;恢复体力;休整;(recharge的现在分词) cellphone:n.蜂窝式便携无线电话;大哥大;
So we're pretty excited about the future of hydrogen. 我们都看好氢气在未来的应用前景
We think it's a question of not whether, but a question of when. 这不是是否应该应用氢气的问题,而是何时能够应用的问题
What we've targeted for ourselves 对于我们目标的实现
- and we're making great progress for this goal -- is to have a propulsion system based on hydrogen and fuel cells, designed and validated , that can go head-to-head with the internal combustion engine -- 正在进展中并且不断得到改进 这个目标就是制造一个以氢燃料电池为基础的 推进系统 经过设计及验证后 这个推进系统将能与内燃机媲美
validated:v.证实;确认;使生效;批准;认可;(validate的过去分词和过去式) head-to-head:交头接耳地;
we're talking about obsoleting the internal combustion engine -- and do it in terms of its affordability , add skill volumes , its performance and its durability . 我们打算淘汰内燃机 在提高可购性 增加技能卷,提高性能和耐用性方面努力
affordability:n.支付能力;负担能力;可购性; volumes:n.卷;体积;容积;大量;(volumes是volume的复数) performance:n.性能;表现;业绩;表演; durability:n.耐久性;坚固;耐用年限;
So that's what we're driving to for 2010. 这就是2010年我们要做的工作
We haven't seen anything yet in our development work that says that isn't possible. 目前还没发现在研发过程中 有任何迹象表明我们的想法不可行
We actually think the future's going to be event-driven. 我们相信未来将为事件所驱动
So since we can't predict the future, we want to spend a lot of our time trying to create that future. 虽然我们无法预测未来 但是我们会努力 创造未来
predict:v.预报;预言;预告;
I'm very, very intrigued by the fact that our cars and trucks sit idle 90 percent of the time: they're parked, they parked all around us. 我们的汽车以及卡车有90%的时间是停着的, 我对如何挖掘这段时间内车子的潜能很感兴趣 这些车就停在我们周围
intrigued:adj.感兴趣的; v.密谋; (intrigue的过去式和过去分词) idle:adj.闲置的;懒惰的;停顿的;v.无所事事;虚度;空转;
They're usually parked within 100 feet of the people that own them. 停在距离他们的所有者不到100英尺的范围内
Now, if you take the power-generating capability of an automobile and you compare that to the electric grid in the United States, it turns out that 4 percent of the automobiles, the power in 4 percent of the automobiles, equals that of the electric grid of the US. 比较汽车和美国电网 的发电能力 汽车电力的四分之一 相当于美国电网的供电能力
capability:n.才能,能力;性能,容量; compare:v.比较;对比;n.比较; grid:n.网格;格子,栅格;输电网;
that's a huge power-generating capability, a mobile power-generating capability. 由此可看出汽车发电能力的强大 而且还是可移动的发电
And hydrogen and fuel cells give us that opportunity to actually use our cars and trucks when they're parked to generate electricity for the grid. 氢燃料电池让我们能够充分利用资源, 即使汽车和卡车停着的时候也能发电, 为电网所用
generate:v.产生;引起;
And we talked about swarm networks earlier. 之前我们有谈到群网络
swarm:n.一大群(蜜蜂等昆虫); vi.成群地来回移动;
And talking about the ultimate swarm, about having all of the processors and all of the cars when they're sitting idle being part of a global grid for computing capability. 最强大的群,是将所有的处理器 所有未处于使用状态的汽车 集合起来,作为具有计算能力的全球电网的一部分
ultimate:adj.最终的;极限的;根本的;n.终极;根本;基本原则; processors:n.加工机(或工人);处理器;处理机;(processor的复数) global:adj.全球的;总体的;球形的; computing:n.计算;计算机技术;信息处理技术;v.计算;求出;(compute的现在分词)
We find that premise quite exciting. 这个假想让我们振奋不已
premise:n.前提;假定;v.假定;预述(条件等);引导(论述等);;
The automobile becomes, then, an appliance , not in a commodity sense, but in an appliance , mobile power, mobile platform for information and computing and communication, as well as a form of transportation . 汽车能够成为一种电器 但不是商品意义上的电器 而是作为一种能够提供信息、计算、通讯的 电器,移动电源,移动平台 当然也是一种交通工具
appliance:n.器具;器械;装置; commodity:n.商品,货物;日用品; platform:n.平台; v.把…放在台上[放在高处; as well as:也;和…一样;不但…而且; transportation:n.运输;运输系统;运输工具;流放;
And the key to all of this is to make it affordable, to make it exciting, to get it on a pathway where there's a way to make money doing it. 但最重要的是我们要让汽车价廉物美 和令人兴奋, 并且有足够的资金进行研发
pathway:n.路,道;途径,路径;
And again, this is a pretty big march to take here. 要实现我们的设想还有很长的路要走
And a lot of people say, how do you sleep at night when you're rustling with a problem of that magnitude ? 许多人担心 如果考虑这样一个巨大的工程,晚上怎么睡得着
rustling:n.沙沙声; v.沙沙作响; (rustle的现在分词) magnitude:n.大小;量级;[地震]震级;重要;光度;
And I tell them I sleep like a baby: 我告诉他们我的睡眠就像小婴儿一样
I wake up crying every two hours. 每两个小时就醒来哭一次
Actually the theme of this conference, I think, has hit on really one of the major keys to pull that off -- and that's relationships and working together. 我认为这次研讨会的主题,实际上就是策划出关键要素,并予以实现 那就是关系网的建立与相互合作
Thank you very much. 谢谢
(Applause). (掌声)
Chris Anderson: Larry, Larry, wait, wait, wait, wait, Larry, wait, wait one sec. Chris Anderson:Larry,等等,先别走,先等会儿
Just -- I've got so many questions I could ask you. 我有很多问题想问你
I just want to ask one. 现在就问一个
You know, I could be wrong about this, but my sense is that in the public mind, today, that GM is not viewed as serious about some of these environmental ideas as some of your Japanese competitors, maybe even as Ford. 也许我的想法有误 不过在我看来,大众认为 与日本的竞争对手,甚至是福特汽车比起来, 通用汽车对那些环保汽车方面的想法和计划并不严肃认真。
Are you serious about it, and not just, you know, when the consumers want it, when the regulators force us to do it we will go there? 你怎么看待这个问题呢 是不是因为消费者的需求 执政者的敦促才开始认真对待这些想法
consumers:n.消费者;顾客;用户;(consumer的复数) regulators:n.调整者;调节阀(regulator的复数形式);
Are you guys really going to try and show leadership on this? 你们通用汽车是不是真的打算在这方面大展拳脚,做领头人
Larry Burns: Yeah, we're absolutely serious. Larry Burns: 那是当然,我们是认真的
We're into this over a billion dollars already, so I would hope people would think we're serious when we're spending that kind of money. 我们已经在这方面投资了十多亿美元 所以当通用汽车花大力气投资时 .我希望人们看到我们对环保汽车的诚意,能改变对我们的看法
And secondly, it's a fundamental business proposition . 另外,关注环保也应该是企业最基本的任务
proposition:n.提议;待处理的问题;任务;(美国)法律修正议案;见解;命题;v.向...提议;
I'll be honest with you: we're into it because of business growth opportunities. 老实告诉你: 因为环保汽车的发展机会,我们开始予以关注
We can't grow our business unless we solve these problems. 如果不解决这些问题,我们的业务就无法继续扩展
The growth of the auto industry will be capped by sustainability issues if we don't solve the problems. 如果我们不解决这些问题 汽车行业的发展将会因为可持续发展的问题而受阻
capped:v.给…戴帽; adj.包过的; sustainability:n.持续性;永续性;能维持性;
And there's a simple principle of strategy that says: 有这么一个简单的战略原则:
principle:n.原理,原则;主义,道义;本质,本义;根源,源泉; strategy:n.策略;行动计划;部署;战略;
Do unto yourself before others do unto you. 在他人超越你之前先自己超越自己
unto:prep.到,直到;向(等于to);
If we can see this possible future, others can too. 如果我们能看到环保汽车的发展潜能,别人也能
And we want to be the first to create it, Chris. 但我们要做的是成为先驱者