返回首页

KwameOwusuKesse_2020-_任何新冠肺炎应对措施中应该满足的五个需求_-

Good evening. 晚上好。
It is such a blessing to work at the Harlem Children's Zone, an African-American-led organization that has pioneered the field of comprehensive place-based services, from cradle to career . 能在哈莱姆儿童社区组织工作 让我感到非常荣幸。 这是一格个非裔美国人 领导的组织致力于开拓 一种基于地方的服务, 从摇篮到职场的 “综合” 服务,
And that word, "comprehensive," is so key to what we do. “综合”这个词 对于我们的工作至关重要。
You know, most interventions focus on one piece of a complicated , giant puzzle . 大多数的干预措施都专注于 一个巨大且复杂的难题的某个方面,
But that's not enough to solve the puzzle. 但这并不足以解决问题。
Harlem:n.黑人住宅区(纽约的); organization:n.组织;机构;体制;团体; comprehensive:adj.综合的;广泛的;有理解力的;n.综合学校;专业综合测验; cradle:n.摇篮;发源地;发祥地;支船架;vt.抚育;把...搁在支架上;把...放在摇篮内; career:n.职业;事业;生涯;经历; interventions:n.[法]干预,干涉;处置(intervention的复数); complicated:adj.复杂的;难懂的;v.使复杂化;(complicate的过去分词和过去式) giant:n.巨人;伟人;巨兽;adj.巨大的;特大的 puzzle:n.谜;疑问;智力游戏;不解之谜;v.迷惑;使困惑;
You don't solve education without understanding the home context or the home environment of our young scholar . 你无法解决教育问题,若不清楚我们的 年轻学生的家庭情况或所处环境。
Or the broader context of health, nutrition or criminal justice . 或者他们的健康、营养和 刑事司法等更广泛的情况。
The unit of change for us is not the individual child, it's the entire neighborhood . 对于我们来说, 改变的单位不是单个孩子, 而是整个社区。
You have to do multiple things at the same time . 你需要在同一时间完成大量的事情,
context:n.环境;上下文;来龙去脉; scholar:n.学者;奖学金获得者;聪颖勤奋的学生; nutrition:n.营养,营养学;营养品; justice:n.公平;公正;司法制度;审判; individual:n.个人;有个性的人;adj.单独的;个别的; neighborhood:n.附近;地区;街坊;adj.附近的; multiple:adj.数量多的;多种多样的;n.倍数; at the same time:同时;另一方面;与此同时;
And we have 20 years of data to prove that this works. 我们有 20 年的数据 可以证明这个是有成效的。
We've had 7,000 graduates of our baby college, we've eliminated the Black-white achievement gap in our schools. 我们的宝贝学院已经有 7,000 位毕业生, 我们也已经消除了在我们学校里 黑人和白人间的成就差距。
We've reduced obesity rates in our health programs and have close to 1,000 students enrolled in college. 通过健康计划,我们降低了肥胖率, 并有近 1,000 个学生被大学录取。
We weave together a net of services so tightly , so that no one will fall through the cracks . 我们将一系列的服务紧紧结合在一起, 所以不会有人被遗漏。
eliminated:v.排除;清除;消除;(比赛中)淘汰;消灭;(eliminate的过去式和过去分词) gap:n.差距;间隙;缺口;间隔;v.使豁裂;豁开; obesity:n.肥大,肥胖; enrolled:v.(使)加入;注册;登记;(enroll的过去分词和过去式) weave:v.编,织;(用…)编成;编造(故事等);n.织法;编法;编织式样; tightly:adv.紧紧地;坚固地; fall through the cracks:被忽视;
And we've inspired global practitioners . 我们也启发了国际上的实践者。
We've had over 500-plus communities across the US and 70-plus countries come and visit us to learn our model. 已经有 500 多个美国团体 和超过 70 个国家的团体 来参观和学习我们的模式。
You see, the problems of the globe, and the problems of the world are not neatly siloed into buckets . 可见全球的问题、世界的问题 并不是整齐地装入一个桶里的。
inspired:adj.受到启发的; v.鼓舞; (inspire的过去分词和过去式) global:adj.全球的;总体的;球形的; practitioners:n.实践者;开业者;实习者(practitioner的复数); communities:n.社区;社会;团体;共有(community的复数) neatly:adv.整洁地;熟练地;灵巧地; siloed:n.筒仓;青贮窖;飞弹发射井;vt.把…存入青贮窖;把…储存在筒仓内; buckets:n.大桶状物; v.拼命划桨; (bucket的第三人称单数和复数)
So therefore the solutions must be comprehensive, they must be holistic . 所以解决问题的方法必须是全面的, 必须是整体的。
And now we're in the midst of a global pandemic . 现在我们处于全球疫情之中。
COVID-19 has revealed to us what we always knew to be true. 新冠肺炎向我们揭示了 我们一直以来都知道的事实。
The poorest among us pay the highest price with their lives and their livelihood . 我们中最贫困的人为他们的 生命和生活支付着最高昂的代价。
holistic:adj.整体的;全盘的; midst:n.当中,中间;prep.在…中间(等于amidst); pandemic:adj.(疾病等)全国流行的;普遍的;n.流行性疾病; revealed:v.揭示;显示;露出;(reveal的过去分词和过去式) livelihood:n.生计,生活;营生;
And that's playing out every day in the African American community , where we're 3.6 times more likely to die of COVID than our white counterparts . 这在非裔美国群体中每日都在上演, 我们死于新冠疫情的概率 是白人同胞的 3.6 倍。
We're seeing those health disparities on the ground in New York City, our nation's epicenter . 我们看到这个健康差距发生在纽约, 我们国家的震中。
And to compound the impact of the health disparities, there's significant economic devastation , where one in four of our families in Harlem report food insecurity , and 57 percent report a loss of income or a loss of their job. 加剧健康差距影响的是, 严重的经济破坏导致 四分之一在哈莱姆的家庭 反映了食品短缺危机, 57% 的家庭失去了收入或工作。
African American:非洲裔美国人(指美国黑人); community:n.社区;[生态]群落;共同体;团体; counterparts:n.(契约)副本(counterpart的复数);相对物;相对应的人; disparities:不一致(disparity的复数); epicenter:n.震中;中心; compound:v.合成; adj.混合; n.大院; impact:n.影响;效果;碰撞;冲击力;v.挤入,压紧;撞击;对…产生影响; significant:adj.重大的;有效的;有意义的;值得注意的;意味深长的;n.象征;有意义的事物; economic:adj.经济的,经济上的;经济学的; devastation:n.毁坏,荒废; insecurity:n.不安全;不牢靠;无把握;心神不定;
But to better understand the work of the Harlem Children's Zone, 为了更好地理解哈莱姆儿童社区的工作,
I want to share a story with you, about a second-grade scholar named Sean. 我想跟你们分享一个故事, 一个二年级的学生肖恩的故事。
Sean is a beautiful Black boy whose smile would light up any room that he's in. 肖恩是一个美好的黑人男孩, 他的笑容会点亮他在的任何房间。
And when quarantine began in March, we noticed that Sean wasn't attending virtual school. 当三月份的隔离开始, 我们发现肖恩并没有参加线上课程。
second-grade:adj.二流; quarantine:vt.检疫;隔离;使隔离;n.检疫;隔离;检疫期;封锁;vi.实行隔离; virtual:adj.[计]虚拟的;实质上的,事实上的(但未在名义上或正式获承认);
And after some investigation, we've come to learn that Sean's mom was hospitalized due to COVID. 通过一番调查之后, 我们发现肖恩的妈妈 因为新冠肺炎住院了。
So he was at home with grandma and his baby sibling , who was his only viable support system, since Sean's father is incarcerated . 所以,他与他的祖母和兄弟在家, 因为他的父亲进了监狱, 所以他们成了肖恩 唯一能够依靠的支柱。
Grandma was struggling. 祖母步履维艰。
hospitalized:vt.住院;入院就医;(hospitalize的过去分词); sibling:n.兄弟姊妹;民族成员; viable:adj.可行的;能养活的;能生育的; incarcerated:v.监禁;关押;禁闭;(incarcerate的过去式和过去分词)
There wasn't much food in the household , limited diapers , and Sean didn't even have a computer. 家里的食物不是很多, 尿布有限, 肖恩也没有电脑。
When mom was released from the hospital, their challenges deepened , because they could no longer stay with grandma, due to her preexisting health conditions. 当妈妈出院之后, 他们的挑战加剧了, 因为基于她的健康状况, 他们不能再跟祖母待在一起。
So Sean, his baby sibling and his mom had to go to a shelter. 所以肖恩,他的弟弟 和他的妈妈不得不去避难所。
household:n.家庭;一家人;同住一所(或一套)房子的人;adj.家庭的;家常的;王室的; limited:adj.有限的; n.高级快车; v.限制; (limit的过去分词和过去式) diapers:n.(婴儿的)尿布,尿片;(diaper的复数) released:v.释放;使免除;已发布;(release的过去分词和过去式) deepened:v.加强,变强烈;(使)变糟,恶化,严重;(使)变深;(deepen的过去分词和过去式) preexisting:adj.先前存在的;先于…而存在的;
Sean's story is not atypical at the Harlem Children's Zone. 肖恩的故事在哈莱姆 儿童社区并不是典型。
We know Sean and millions like him all across the country deserve to have everything that this world has to offer, without inequality robbing them of that opportunity. 我们知道肖恩和全国数百万个 和他一样的孩子们 值得拥有这个世界 应该给予的一切东西, 没有不平等去剥夺他们的机会。
atypical:adj.非典型的;不合规则的; deserve:vi.应受,应得;
All the result of racism and historical and systemic underinvestment are now compounded by COVID-19. 所有种族歧视的不平等 以及历史和系统的投资不足 现在都被新冠肺炎加重了。
Our comprehensive model uniquely positions the Harlem Children's Zone in the fight of COVID. 我们的全面模式 独特地定位了抗击新冠疫情的 哈莱姆儿童社区。
The success that we have on the ground in Harlem makes it imperative , and it is our responsibility to share what we know works with the country. 我们在哈莱姆区的成功 使它成为当务之急, 我们有责任与国家分享我们所知道的 行之有效的方法。
racism:n.种族主义,种族歧视;人种偏见; historical:adj.历史的;史学的;基于史实的; systemic:adj.系统的;全身的;体系的; underinvestment:n.投资不足;低度投资; compounded:adj.[生物]复合的,化合的;v.混合;组成(compound的过去式和过去分词); uniquely:adv.独特地;珍奇地; imperative:adj.重要紧急的; n.重要紧急的事;
We have developed a comprehensive COVID-19 relief and recovery response for our community, that was surfaced from our community, focused on five primary areas of need, and already servicing families like Sean's. 我们为社区制定了新冠肺炎疫情防控 和恢复的全面对策, 这个对策源于我们的社区, 着重在五个主要的需求领域, 并且已经服务像肖恩这样的家庭。
They are the following. 这些措施如下:
One, emergency relief funds . 第一,紧急救助基金。
We know that our families need cash in their hands right now. 我们知道我们的家庭 需要手上立马有现金。
Two, protecting our most vulnerable . 第二,保护最脆弱的群体。[04:21]
relief:n.救济;减轻,解除;安慰;浮雕; recovery:n.恢复,复原;痊愈;重获; response:n.响应;反应;回答; emergency:n.紧急情况;突发事件;非常时刻;adj.紧急的;备用的; funds:n.[会计]资金,现金(fund的复数);基金;v.资助(fund的三单形式);提供资金; vulnerable:adj.易受攻击的,易受…的攻击;易受伤害的;有弱点的;
We know our families need access to essential goods and information. 我们知道我们的家庭需要 获取必需品和信息。
So that is food, that's masks, that's a curated resource list and public health campaigns. 要有食物,口罩, 精心策划的资源清单和公共卫生活动。
Three, bridging the digital divide. 第三,消除数字鸿沟。
We believe that internet is a fundamental right. 我们认为互联网是基础权利。
essential:n.要点;要素;实质;必需品;adj.完全必要的;必不可少的;极其重要的;本质的; curated:v.当馆长(curate的过去分词); resource:n.资源;资料;才智;财力;v.向…提供资金(或设备); digital:adj.数字的;手指的;n.数字;键; fundamental:n.基础; adj.十分重大的;
So we need to ensure our families have connectivity , and also all school-age children in a household have the proper learning devices . 所以我们需要确保 我们的家庭能够联网, 并且家中所有学龄儿童 有适当的学习设备。
Four, zero learning loss. 第四,学习零损耗。
We know that there's a generation of students at risk of losing an entire year of their education. 我们清楚有一代的学生 有失去整个学年的风险。
We need to make sure that we are providing high-quality virtual programing , in addition to having safe reentry planned for school reentry. 除了安全返校的计划,我们需要确保 提供高质量的虚拟课程,
ensure:vt.保证,确保;使安全; connectivity:n.[数]连通性; school-age:adj.学龄的; devices:n.[机][计]设备;[机]装置;[电子]器件(device的复数); high-quality:adj.高质量的; programing:n.程式设计,程序编排;节目制作;v.编写程序;设计程式(program的ing形式); in addition to:除…之外; reentry:n.[航]再入;再进;
And five, mitigating the mental health crisis . 第五,减轻心理健康危机。
There's a generation at risk of having PTSD , due to the massive amounts of toxic stress. 这代人有患创伤后应激障碍的风险, 因为这些大量的有毒害的压力。
We need to ensure that our families have access to telehealth and other virtual supports. 我们需要确保我们的家庭 能够获得远程医疗服务 和其他虚拟支持。
mitigating:adj.可考虑从轻处置的情节(或因素)v.减轻;缓和;(mitigate的现在分词) crisis:n.危机;危险期;决定性时刻;adj.危机的;用于处理危机的; PTSD:abbr.创伤后精神紧张性精神障碍(post-traumaticstressdisorder); massive:adj.大量的;巨大的,厚重的;魁伟的; toxic:adj.有毒的;中毒的; telehealth:远程医疗;
We have six amazing partners across six cities in the United States that are adopting our model for their own context in their community. 我们在美国的六个城市 有六个很棒的合作伙伴 针对他们自己的社区情况 采纳我们的模式。
They are Oakland , Minneapolis , 它们是奥克兰,明尼阿波利斯,
Chicago, Detroit , Newark and Atlanta . 芝加哥,底特律,纽瓦克和亚特兰大。
In addition to those partners, we have three national partners, who will be sharing our model and sharing our strategies through their network, in addition to amplifying our impact by policy advocacy . 除了这些伙伴之外, 我们还有三个国家伙伴, 他们将会通过他们的网络分享 我们的模式和策略, 以及通过政策宣传扩大我们的影响。
United:adj.联合的; v.联合,团结; (unite的过去分词和过去式) adopting:v.收养;领养;采用;表决采纳;(adopt的现在分词) Oakland:n.奥克兰(美国加州西部城市); Minneapolis:n.明尼阿波里斯市(美国一座城市); Detroit:n.底特律(美国一座城市); Newark:n.纽瓦克市(美国新泽西州港市); Atlanta:n.亚特兰大(美国城市); strategies:n.策略;行动计划;部署;战略;(strategy的复数) amplifying:adj.放大的; policy:n.政策,方针;保险单; advocacy:n.主张;拥护;辩护;
We will have impact on three levels. 我们将会在三个层面上产生影响。
Individual impact on the ground in Harlem, across a number of outcomes in education, in health, in economics, reaching 30,000 people. 对哈莱姆地区的个人影响, 覆盖了教育、 健康、经济方面的一系列产出, 惠及了三万人。
There's community-level impact across six cities, again through our amazing partners, that will reach an additional 70,000 people. 还有跨越六个城市社区层面的影响, 再一次通过我们了不起的伙伴, 这将会惠及额外七万人。
And then national impact, not only through policy advocacy, but through capacity building at scale . 然后是国家层面的影响力, 不仅通过政策倡导, 但通过大规模的能力建设。
outcomes:n.结果;成果;后果;出路;(outcome的复数) additional:adj.附加的,额外的; capacity:n.能力;容量;资格,地位;生产力; scale:n.规模;比例;鳞;刻度;天平;数值范围;v.衡量;攀登;剥落;生水垢;
Our answer to COVID-19, the despair and inequities plaguing our communities, is targeting neighborhoods with comprehensive services. 我们对新冠疫情, 以及一直困扰我们社区的 绝望和不平等的响应 是为社区提供全面综合的服务。
We have certainly not lost hope. 我们当然没有失去希望。
And we invite you to join us on the front lines of this war. 在这场战争的前沿, 我们诚邀您的加入。
Thank you. 谢谢。
despair:v.绝望;失去希望;丧失信心;n.绝望; inequities:n.不公平待遇(inequity的复数形式); plaguing:n.瘟疫;灾祸;麻烦;讨厌的人;vt.折磨;使苦恼;使得灾祸;