|
|
KevinSurace_2009-_凯文_苏拉切发明的环保型墙板_
|
What's happening to the climate? |
气候到底发生了什么? |
It is unbelievably bad. |
糟糕地让人难以置信。 |
unbelievably:adv.难以置信地;不可信地;
|
This is, obviously, that famous view now of the Arctic , which is likely to be gone at this point in the next three or four or five years. Very, very, very scary. |
显然,这是我们所熟悉的北极美景, 而这将很快消失不见, 可能只是三、四或五年之后。非常!非常!非常可怕! |
Arctic:adj.北极的;北极地区的;极冷的;严寒的;n.北极;北极地区;
|
So we all look at what we can do. |
所以我们都在思考着我们对此能够做些什么。 |
And when you look at the worldwide sources of CO2, 52 percent are tied to buildings. |
当我们看到世界范围内二氧化碳的来源图时, 52%与建筑物有关。 |
worldwide:adj.全世界的;adv.在世界各地; sources:n.来源;出处;起源;根源;原因;v.(从…)获得(source的第三人称单数和复数)
|
Only nine percent is passenger cars, interestingly enough. |
说来有趣,只有9%来自汽车。 |
passenger:n.旅客;乘客;白吃饭的人;闲散人员; interestingly:adv.有趣地;
|
So we ran off to a sushi bar. |
有次我们来到了某个寿司吧。 |
And at that sushi bar we came up with a great idea. |
而在这个寿司吧中我们有了一个伟大的想法。 |
And it was something called EcoRock. |
它被命名为生态石(EcoRock)。 |
And we said we could redesign the 115 year old gypsum drywall process , that generates 20 billion pounds of CO2 a year. |
我们说自己能够重新设计具有115年历史的 石膏墙体工艺,正是它 每年产生着200亿磅的二氧化碳。 |
redesign:vt.重新设计;n.重新设计;新设计; gypsum:vt.用石膏处理;施石膏肥料于;n.石膏;石膏肥料; drywall:n.干式墙;纸面石膏板; process:v.处理;加工;列队行进;n.过程,进行;方法,adj.经过特殊加工(或处理)的; generates:[计]生成;发生;
|
So it was a big idea. We wanted to reduce that by 80 percent. |
因此这是一个伟大的想法。我们希望在这个数字的基础上降低80%。 |
Which is exactly what we've done. |
这正是我们所完成的。 |
We started R&D in 2006. |
我们于2006年开始进行研发。 |
Decided to use recycled content from cement and steel manufacturing . |
并决定使用从水泥和 钢铁制造生产中所提取的可回收组分。 |
recycled:n.再生纸;回收站;adj.[环境]回收利用的;可循环再造的; content:n.内容,目录;满足;容量;adj.满意的;vt.使满足; cement:n.水泥;(干燥后硬化的)水泥;胶合剂;胶接剂;v.加强;胶合; manufacturing:n.制造业;工业;v.制造;生产(manufacture的现在分词);
|
There is the inside of our lab. We haven't shown this before. |
这是我们的实验室。之前并没有向外展示过。 |
But our people had to do some 5,000 different mixes to get this right, to hit our targets. |
但是我们的成员们不得不尝试5000种 不同的配方以找到最佳配方并满足我们的目标。 |
mixes:n.混淆;调拌料(mix的复数);v.混合(mix的第三人称单数);
|
And they worked absolutely very, very, very hard. |
他们真的非常非常非常努力地工作。 |
absolutely:adv.绝对地;完全地;
|
So then we went forward and built our production line in China. |
然后我们进一步在中国建设了生产线。 |
production line:n.流水作业线;产品线;
|
We don't build this production equipment any longer in the U.S., unfortunately . |
遗憾地是我们将不会在美国建立这样的生产线。 |
unfortunately:adv.不幸地;
|
We did the line install over the summer. |
整个夏天我们都忙于生产线的安装。 |
install:v.安装;设置;安置;建立(程序);
|
We started right there, with absolutely nothing. |
我们就是从那里开始,从无到有。 |
You're seeing for the first time, a brand new drywall production line, not made using gypsum at all. |
您将会第一次看到全新的墙体生产线 完全不使用石膏。 |
brand new:adj.崭新的;最近获得的;
|
That's the finished production line there. |
那是我们所完成的生产线。 |
We got our first panel out on December third. |
并在12月3日生产出第一块墙板。 |
panel:n.镶板;仪表盘;钣金;(衣服上的)镶条;v.镶板(用木或玻璃板等镶嵌或装饰);
|
That is the slurry being poured onto paper, basically . That's the line running. |
这是原料浆正被倒在纸板上。那是正在运行中的生产线。 |
slurry:n.泥浆;悬浮液; poured:v.使(液体)连续流出;倾倒;倒出;喷发;(pour的过去分词和过去式) basically:adv.主要地,基本上;
|
The exciting thing is, look at the faces of the people. |
最让人兴奋的是,看看这些人的表情。 |
These are people who worked this project for two to three years. |
他们为了这个项目整整工作了两三年 |
And they are so excited. That's the first board off the line. |
他们是如此兴奋。那是顺利下线的第一块墙板。 |
Our Vice President of Operation kissing the board. Obviously very, very excited. |
我们的运营副总裁正在亲吻这块墙板。很明显他非常非常兴奋。 |
Vice:n.恶习;缺点;[机]老虎钳;卖淫;prep.代替;v.钳住;adj.副的;代替的;
|
But this has a huge huge impact on the environment. |
这将会对环境造成巨大的影响。 |
impact:n.影响;效果;碰撞;冲击力;v.挤入,压紧;撞击;对…产生影响;
|
We signed the first panel just a few weeks after that, had a great signing ceremony . |
几周之后我们举行了盛大的签字仪式,大家都在这第一块墙板上签上自己的名字。 |
ceremony:n.典礼,仪式;礼节,礼仪;客套,虚礼;
|
Leading to people hopefully using these products across the world. |
希望全世界的人可以开始使用这些产品。 |
And we've got Cradle to Cradle Gold on this thing. |
这个产品得到了C2C标志认证(金牌)。 |
Cradle:n.摇篮;发源地;发祥地;支船架;vt.抚育;把...搁在支架上;把...放在摇篮内;
|
We happened to win, just recently , the Green Product of the Year, for "The Re-Invention of Drywall," from Popular Science. |
我们最近还以“墙体材料的改良发明” 获得《科技新时代》杂志所评选的年度绿色产品奖。 |
recently:adv.最近;新近;
|
Thank you. Thank you. |
谢谢,谢谢! |
So here is what we learned. 8,000 gallons of gas equivalent to build one house. |
这里是我们所学到的。8000加仑的气体 相当于建造一座房屋。 |
gallons:n.加仑;大量(gallon的复数);一加仑的容器; equivalent:adj.等价的,相等的;同意义的;n.等价物,相等物;
|
You probably had no idea. It's like driving around the world six times. |
也许你不太清楚,这相当于开车绕地球六圈。 |
We must change everything. |
我们必须改变一切。 |
Look around the room, chairs, wood. |
看看我们的房间,椅子,木材。 |
Everything around us has to change or we're not going to lick this problem. |
所有我们身边的一切都必须改变,否则我们无法轻易解决这个问题。 |
lick:v.舔;舔吃;舔着喝;掠过;轻松战胜;n.舔;一点儿(涂料);
|
Don't listen to the people who say you can't do this, because anyone can. |
请不要听您们周围的人说您做不到,因为每一个人都可以做到 |
And these job losses, we can fix them with green-collar jobs. |
对于失业者,我们将会提供“绿领”工作岗位。 |
We've got four plants. We're building this stuff around the country. |
我们有四座工厂,并正在全国范围内不断建造中。 |
stuff:n.东西:物品:基本特征:v.填满:装满:标本:
|
We're going as fast as we can. |
我们将尽可能加速进度。 |
Two and a half million cars worth of gypsum, you know, CO2 generated . Right? |
石膏的碳排量相当于250万辆汽车, 这我们已经认识到了,是吧? |
generated:v.产生;引起;(generate的过去式和过去分词)
|
So what will you do? I'll tell you what I did and why I did it. And I know my time's up. |
那么你们会怎样做呢?我将会告诉你们我所做的以及为什么去做。我的时间似乎快到了。 |
Those are my kids, Natalie and David. |
这是我的孩子,纳塔莉和大卫。 |
Natalie:n.纳塔莉;[女名]女子名;
|
When they have their kids, 2050, they'd better look back at Grandpa and say, "Hey, you gave it a good shot. You did the best you could with the team that you had." |
当他们在2050年有了自己的孩子时。 他们将会看着爷爷说 “嘿,你干得不错。你和你的团队 已倾尽所能。” |
So my hope is that when you leave TED, you will look at reducing your carbon footprint in how ever you can do it. |
所以我希望你们离开TED后, 请想办法降低自己的碳排放量 并为此尽一切努力。 |
carbon:n.[化学]碳;碳棒;复写纸;adj.碳的;碳处理的; footprint:n.足迹;脚印;
|
And if you don't know how, please find me. I will help you. |
当不知道如何做时,请联系我。我将会帮助您。 |
Last but not least , Bill Gates, I know you invented Windows. |
最后一点,比尔·盖茨,我知道你发明了视窗操作系统(Windows) |
Last but not least:最后但不是最不重要的一点;
|
Wait till you see, maybe next year, what kind of windows we've invented. |
等着瞧,明年我们能发明出怎样的窗子。 |
Thank you so much. |
感谢大家的倾听。 |
(Applause) |
(鼓掌) |