返回首页

KellyMcGonigal_2013G-_如何跟压力做朋友_

I have a confession to make, but first, I want you to make a little confession to me. 我要跟大家坦白一件事 但首先,我要各位 也对我坦白
confession:n.忏悔,告解;供认;
In the past year, I want you to just raise your hand if you've experienced relatively little stress. 如果相对来说,你去年压力不大的 请举手
relatively:adv.相当程度上;相当地;相对地;
Anyone? 有吗?
How about a moderate amount of stress? 那觉得承受的压力算普通的呢?
moderate:v.缓和; adj.适度的; n.持温和观点者(尤指政见);
Who has experienced a lot of stress? 有没有倍觉压力的?
Yeah. Me too. 看来我们都一样。
But that is not my confession. 不过这不是我要坦白的
My confession is this: I am a health psychologist , and my mission is to help people be happier and healthier. 我要坦承的是,我 一名健康心理学家 我的职责就是让人们更健康快乐
psychologist:n.心理学家,心理学者; mission:n.使命,任务;代表团;布道;v.派遣;向…传教;
But I fear that something I've been teaching for the last 10 years is doing more harm than good, and it has to do with stress. 不过我担心自己这10年来传授的 与压力有关的内容 恐怕弊多于利
For years I've been telling people, stress makes you sick. 这些年我不断跟人说,压力会让人生病
It increases the risk of everything from the common cold to cardiovascular disease . 患有从一般感冒到心血管疾病的风险 都随之升高
common cold:na.感冒; cardiovascular:adj.[解剖]心血管的; disease:n.病,[医]疾病;弊病;vt.传染;使…有病;
Basically , I've turned stress into the enemy. 基本上我把压力当作敌人
Basically:adv.主要地,基本上;
But I have changed my mind about stress, and today, I want to change yours. 但我对压力的看法已经变了 而我今天就是要让你们改观的
Let me start with the study that made me rethink my whole approach to stress. 先来谈让我对压力 另有看法的研究
rethink:v.重新考虑;再想;n.重新考虑;反思;新想法; approach:n.方法;路径;v.接近;建议;着手处理;
This study tracked 30,000 adults in the United States for eight years, and they started by asking people, "How much stress have you experienced in the last year?" 这研究追踪在美国的3万名成人 历时8年,研究首先问这些人 「去年你感受到了多大压力?」
tracked:v.跟踪;追踪;(track的过去分词和过去式) United:adj.联合的; v.联合,团结; (unite的过去分词和过去式)
They also asked, "Do you believe that stress is harmful for your health?" 同时问他们 「你相信压力有碍健康吗?」
And then they used public death records to find out who died. 之后研究人员以公开的死亡统计 找出参与者中去逝的人
(Laughter) (笑声)
Okay. Some bad news first. 好,先说坏消息
People who experienced a lot of stress in the previous year had a 43 percent increased risk of dying. 前一年压力颇大的人 死亡的风险增加了43%
previous:adj.以前的;早先的;过早的;adv.在先;在…以前;
But that was only true for the people who also believed that stress is harmful for your health. 但这只适用于 那些相信压力有碍健康的人
(Laughter) (笑声)
People who experienced a lot of stress but did not view stress as harmful were no more likely to die. 承受极大压力的人 若不将此视为有害 死亡的风险就不会升高
In fact, they had the lowest risk of dying of anyone in the study, including people who had relatively little stress. 事实上,与压力相对较小的 研究参与者相比 这样的人死亡风险反而最低
Now the researchers estimated that over the eight years they were tracking deaths, 182,000 Americans died prematurely , not from stress, but from the belief that stress is bad for you. (Laughter) 研究人员花了8年 追踪死亡案例 18.2万 美国人过早离世 原因并不是压力本身 而是认为压力有害的这个想法 (笑)
estimated:adj.估计的;预计的;估算的; tracking:n.追踪,跟踪;v.跟踪;(track的现在分词) prematurely:adv.过早地;早熟地;
That is over 20,000 deaths a year. 估计超过2万人符合这情形
Now, if that estimate is correct, that would make believing stress is bad for you the 15th largest cause of death in the United States last year, killing more people than skin cancer , 若估计正确 「相信压力有害」 就成为美国去年的 第15大死因 致死率更胜皮肤癌
cancer:n.癌症;恶性肿瘤;
HIV/AIDS and homicide . 爱滋病和谋杀
homicide:n.杀人;杀人犯;
(Laughter) (笑声)
You can see why this study freaked me out. 你们应能体会为何这研究让我担心害怕了
freaked:v.(使)强烈反应,震惊,畏惧;(freak的过去分词和过去式)
Here I've been spending so much energy telling people stress is bad for your health. 我一直努力告诉他人 压力有碍健康
So this study got me wondering: 因此这研究使我想知道
Can changing how you think about stress make you healthier? And here the science says yes. 改变对压力的看法 是否能促进健康? 显然科学对此抱以肯定
When you change your mind about stress, you can change your body's response to stress. 改变看待压力的方式 生理上的压力反应亦随之改变
response:n.响应;反应;回答;
Now to explain how this works, 我来解释为什么会这样
I want you all to pretend that you are participants in a study designed to stress you out. 假设你参与一项 意图使你紧张的研究中
participants:n.参与者(participant的复数形式);
It's called the social stress test. 就是所谓的「社会压力测试」
You come into the laboratory , and you're told you have to give a five-minute impromptu speech on your personal weaknesses to a panel of expert evaluators sitting right in front of you, and to make sure you feel the pressure, there are bright lights and a camera in your face , kind of like this. 你进入实验室后 才知道要发表5分钟的即席演说 这段演说以个人缺点为题 眼前的听众将是一群专业评审 为了确认你确实感到压力 镜头和灯光都会聚焦在你脸上 有点像现在这样!
laboratory:n.实验室,研究室; impromptu:n.即兴曲;即席演出;adv.即席地;adj.即席的; personal:adj.个人的;身体的;亲自的;n.人事消息栏;人称代名词; panel:n.镶板;仪表盘;钣金;(衣服上的)镶条;v.镶板(用木或玻璃板等镶嵌或装饰); in your face:挑衅;咄咄逼人的;
And the evaluators have been trained to give you discouraging , non-verbal feedback like this. 且评审都经过培训 用令人沮丧的非口语言词给你回应,就像这样
discouraging:adj.使人沮丧的;阻止的;v.使灰心;阻止;劝阻;(discourage的现在分词) non-verbal:adj.非语言的;非用言语的; feedback:n.反馈;反馈意见;回授;[电子]反馈;
(Laughter) (笑)
Now that you're sufficiently demoralized , time for part two: a math test. 就在你已够泄气时 第二场好戏上演了: 数学测验
sufficiently:adv.充分地;足够地; demoralized:adj.士气低落的; v.使士气低落;
And unbeknownst to you, the experimenter has been trained to harass you during it. 且你们事前不知道 实验己设定成受测者会被干扰
unbeknownst:adv.不知地;adj.不知的; harass:v.侵扰;骚扰;不断攻击(敌人);
Now we're going to all do this together. 现在我们一起做做看
It's going to be fun. 很好玩的
For me. 至少对我来说昰这样
Okay. I want you all to count backwards from 996 in increments of seven. 好,现在你们开始倒数 从996开始,每数一个数减7
increments:n.[数]增量(incremment的复数);增加数;
You're going to do this out loud as fast as you can, starting with 996. 要大声地数 越快越好,从996开始
Audience: (Counting) 开始!
Go faster. Faster please. 请快ㄧ点!
You're going too slow. 你们太慢了
Stop. Stop, stop, stop. 停......停......停
That guy made a mistake. 那个人算错了
We are going to have to start all over again. (Laughter) 所以我们得重来ㄧ次(笑)
You're not very good at this, are you? 这方面你们不太行,对吧?
Okay, so you get the idea. 现在大家弄清楚是怎么ㄧ回事了
Now, if you were actually in this study, you'd probably be a little stressed out. 若各位也参与这项研究 可能会有点神经紧张
Your heart might be pounding, you might be breathing faster, maybe breaking out into a sweat. 也许会心跳加速 呼吸急促,甚至满身大大汗
And normally , we interpret these physical changes as anxiety or signs that we aren't coping very well with the pressure. 通常我们将这些生理变化 称为焦虑 或代表压力失调的信号
normally:adv.正常地;通常地,一般地; interpret:v.诠释;说明;口译;把…理解为; physical:adj.[物]物理的;身体的;物质的;符合自然法则的;n.体格检查; anxiety:n.焦虑;渴望;挂念;令人焦虑的事; coping:n.墙压顶;v.(成功地)对付,处理;(cope的现在分词)
But what if you viewed them instead as signs that your body was energized , was preparing you to meet this challenge? 但若将这些现象当成 身体活力充沛的象征 表示已准备好迎接挑战,又会怎样呢?
what if:如果…怎么办? energized:v.使充满热情; (energize的过去分词和过去式)
Now that is exactly what participants were told in a study conducted at Harvard University. 在哈佛大学所进行的一项研究中 他们正是这样告诉受试者的
conducted:v.组织;安排;实施;执行;指挥;带领;引导;(conduct的过去分词和过去式) Harvard:n.哈佛大学;哈佛大学学生;
Before they went through the social stress test, they were taught to rethink their stress response as helpful. 在社会压力测试开始前 受试者学着将压力反应当作助力
That pounding heart is preparing you for action. 心跳加速是蓄势待发
If you're breathing faster, it's no problem. 呼吸急促也不要紧
It's getting more oxygen to your brain. 这是为了让大脑得到更多氧气
And participants who learned to view the stress response as helpful for their performance , well, they were less stressed out, less anxious, more confident , but the most fascinating finding to me was how their physical stress response changed. 受试者中,那些学会将压力反应 想成有助表现的人 比较不会忧虑紧张 焦虑少了,信心反而倒提升了 但最令我着迷的发现是 受试者生理上压力反应改变的方式
performance:n.性能;表现;业绩;表演; confident:adj.自信的;确信的; fascinating:adj.极有吸引力的;迷人的;v.深深吸引;迷住;(fascinate的现在分词)
Now, in a typical stress response, your heart rate goes up, and your blood vessels constrict like this. 典型的压力反应是 心跳加速 血管收缩成这样
typical:adj.典型的;特有的;象征性的; vessels:n.血管(vessel的复数);船舶;容器; constrict:vt.压缩;束紧;
And this is one of the reasons that chronic stress is sometimes associated with cardiovascular disease. 这也是为何长期压力 有时会与心血管疾病有所关连的原因之一
chronic:adj.慢性的;长期的;习惯性的; associated:adj.有关联的; v.联想; (associate的过去分词和过去式)
It's not really healthy to be in this state all the time. 总是如此,对健康不是好事
But in the study, when participants viewed their stress response as helpful, their blood vessels stayed relaxed like this. 但在这项研究中,当受试者 把压力反应看作是有帮助的 他们的血管就会像这样放松
relaxed:adj.轻松的;冷静的;v.放松;休息;宽慰;(relax的过去分词和过去式)
Their heart was still pounding, but this is a much healthier cardiovascular profile . 他们的心脏仍在强力收缩 但心血管系统的样子比较健康
profile:n.轮廓;简介;形象;外形;v.扼要介绍;概述;写简介;
It actually looks a lot like what happens in moments of joy and courage. 事实上看起来更像 感到兴奋和鼓起勇气时的样子
Over a lifetime of stressful experiences, this one biological change could be the difference between a stress-induced heart attack at age 50 and living well into your 90s. 要克服人生中的各种压力 这样的生理差异 足已产生 50岁时,因压力导致心脏病发 以及健康活到 90多岁的区别
stressful:adj.紧张的;有压力的; biological:adj.生物学的;生物的;与生命过程有关的;加酶的;n.[药]生物制品; heart attack:n.[医]心肌梗塞
And this is really what the new science of stress reveals , that how you think about stress matters. 最新的压力研究结果便是如此 如何看待压力至关重要
reveals:v.揭示;显示;透露;展示;(reveal的第三人称单数)
So my goal as a health psychologist has changed. 所以我身为徤康心理学家的目标也改变了
I no longer want to get rid of your stress. 不再想要帮人摆脱压力
I want to make you better at stress. 而是让人更善于处理它
And we just did a little intervention . 刚才我们所做的就是疗程的一小部分
intervention:n.介入;调停;妨碍;
If you raised your hand and said you'd had a lot of stress in the last year, we could have saved your life, because hopefully the next time your heart is pounding from stress, you're going to remember this talk and you're going to think to yourself, this is my body helping me rise to this challenge. 如果你刚才举手表示 去年压力很大 我们可以拯救你 因为 但愿下次 压力使你心跳加快时 你会记得今天的演讲 然后 你会自我盘算 这是我的身体在帮助我准备迎接挑战
And when you view stress in that way, your body believes you, and your stress response becomes healthier. 当你如此看待压力 身体会信任你的判断 而你的压力反应就更健康了
Now I said I have over a decade of demonizing stress to redeem myself from, so we are going to do one more intervention. 曾有10年的时间我视压力为恶? 为了自我改正 我们接下来再做一趟疗程
demonizing:vt.妖魔化;使…成为魔鬼; redeem:vt.赎回;挽回;兑换;履行;补偿;恢复;
I want to tell you about one of the most under-appreciated aspects of the stress response, and the idea is this: 我想跟你们谈谈 压力反应中,最受忽视的部份 这部分的概念是
aspects:n.方面;相位;面貌(aspect的复数);
Stress makes you social. 压力让人有社交能力
To understand this side of stress, we need to talk about a hormone , oxytocin , and I know oxytocin has already gotten as much hype as a hormone can get. 要了解压力的这部分? 我们要先谈一种叫「催产素」(OT)的激素 我知道在激素中 「催产素」掀起许多热潮
hormone:n.[生理]激素,荷尔蒙; oxytocin:n.[药]催产素;缩宫素;脑下垂体后叶荷尔蒙之一种;
It even has its own cute nickname , the cuddle hormone, because it's released when you hug someone. 甚至有个可爱的小名,叫 「拥抱激素」 因为拥抱时就会产生这种激素
nickname:n.绰号;昵称;v.给…取绰号;叫错名字; cuddle:v.拥抱;偎依;舒服地贴著身睡;n.搂抱,拥抱; released:v.释放;使免除;已发布;(release的过去分词和过去式)
But this is a very small part of what oxytocin is involved in. 但这只是它的一小部分作用
involved:adj.有关的; v.涉及; (involve的过去式和过去分词)
Oxytocin is a neuro-hormone. 催产激素是一种神经激素
It fine-tunes your brain's social instincts . 能微调大脑的社交本能
fine-tunes:vt.调整;使有规则;对进行微调; instincts:n.本能;天性;直觉;(instinct的复数)
It primes you to do things that strengthen close relationships. 让人为增进密切关系 所需的努力做好准备
primes:n.初期; v.使准备好;
Oxytocin makes you crave physical contact with your friends and family. 催产素让人渴望 亲友间的肢体接触
crave:v.渴望;恳求; contact:n.接触,联系;v.使接触,联系;
It enhances your empathy . 强化同理心
enhances:提高(enhance的第三人称单数); empathy:n.神入;移情作用;执着;
It even makes you more willing to help and support the people you care about. 甚至让人更愿意对关心的人 伸出援手及给予支持
Some people have even suggested we should snort oxytocin to become more compassionate and caring. 甚至还有人建议 为了更有同情心和关爱 我们应吸一点这种激素
snort:v.喷出蒸汽声;喷出;发哼声;吸毒品;n.喷鼻息;一小杯酒; compassionate:adj.慈悲的;富于同情心的;vt.同情;怜悯;
But here's what most people don't understand about oxytocin. 但关于催产素 大多数人都不知道
It's a stress hormone. 它是一种压力激素
Your pituitary gland pumps this stuff out as part of the stress response. 由脑下垂体分泌 是压力反应的其中一环
pituitary:n.垂体;脑垂体;adj.脑垂体的;脑垂体分泌失调引起的; gland:n.腺;密封压盖; pumps:n.[机]泵; v.用泵送; stuff:n.东西:物品:基本特征:v.填满:装满:标本:
It's as much a part of your stress response as the adrenaline that makes your heart pound. 和肾上腺素一样 都是压力下让人心跳加速的反应之一
adrenaline:n.[生化]肾上腺素;
And when oxytocin is released in the stress response, it is motivating you to seek support. 在压力反应中加入催产素 便会驱使人寻求支持
motivating:v.激励;刺激;调动…的积极性(motivate的ing形式); seek:v.寻求;寻找;谋求;
Your biological stress response is nudging you to tell someone how you feel instead of bottling it up. 生理上的压力反应 让人想要找他人倾诉 而不是闷在心里
nudging:v.(用肘)轻推,轻触;(朝某方向)轻推,渐渐推动;(nudge的现在分词)
Your stress response wants to make sure you notice when someone else in your life is struggling so that you can support each other. 压力反应确保人会注意 周遭有人陷入挣扎 因此我们能相互扶持
When life is difficult, your stress response wants you to be surrounded by people who care about you. 当生活陷入困难,压力反应让你希望 身旁围绕着的都是关心你的人
Okay, so how is knowing this side of stress going to make you healthier? 好的,那了解压力这方面的事实? 又怎会让我们更健康呢?
Well, oxytocin doesn't only act on your brain. 其实催产素不只影响大脑
It also acts on your body, and one of its main roles in your body is to protect your cardiovascular system from the effects of stress. 对身体也有作用 其中一个主要生理功能 就是保护心血管系统 免于压力影响
It's a natural anti-inflammatory . 是天然的抗炎成份
anti-inflammatory:adj.抗炎的;n.抗炎药;
It also helps your blood vessels stay relaxed during stress. 还能帮血管在压力下保持松弛
But my favorite effect on the body is actually on the heart. 但我最爱它对心脏的生理效果
Your heart has receptors for this hormone, and oxytocin helps heart cells regenerate and heal from any stress-induced damage. 心脏有许多催产素的受体 这激素还能促进心脏细胞 从压力导致的损害中恢复再生
receptors:n.[生化]受体;接受器;神经末梢(receptor的复数); regenerate:vt.使再生;革新;vi.再生;革新;adj.再生的;革新的; heal:v.复原;治疗(病人);使又愉快起来;(使)结束
This stress hormone strengthens your heart, and the cool thing is that all of these physical benefits of oxytocin are enhanced by social contact and social support, so when you reach out to others under stress, either to seek support or to help someone else, you release more of this hormone, your stress response becomes healthier, and you actually recover faster from stress. 这种压力激素可强化心脏 且最棒的是,社交接触 和社会支持 会增强它有益生理健康的好处 所以与人接触时感受到压力 不论是求助或协助他人 这种激素的分泌都会增加 压力反应因此更健康 你能更快地从压力中恢复
enhanced:adj.加强的;增大的;v.提高;加强(enhance的过去分词);
I find this amazing, that your stress response has a built-in mechanism for stress resilience , and that mechanism is human connection. 我认为这很奥妙 压力反应本身 竟有减压的机制 这机制就是人际关系
built-in:adj.嵌入的;固定的;n.内置; mechanism:n.机制;原理,途径;进程;机械装置;技巧; resilience:n.恢复力;弹力;顺应力;
I want to finish by telling you about one more study. 最后我想谈另一个研究
And listen up, because this study could also save a life. 听仔细了,这研究也可救人一命
This study tracked about 1,000 adults in the United States, and they ranged in age from 34 to 93, and they started the study by asking, "How much stress have you experienced in the last year?" 研究追踪约1千名美国境内 34到93岁的成人 研究一开始就问 「你去年有多大压力? 」
They also asked, "How much time have you spent helping out friends, neighbors, people in your community ?" 接着又问:「目前你花过多少时间 帮助邻居朋友 和邻里中的其他人?」
community:n.社区;[生态]群落;共同体;团体;
And then they used public records for the next five years to find out who died. 他们以这之后五年内的公开档案 找出死亡人口
Okay, so the bad news first: 好,先说坏消息
For every major stressful life experience, like financial difficulties or family crisis , that increased the risk of dying by 30 percent. 任何引起重大压力的生活经验 像财务困难或家庭危机 会让死亡的风险增加30%
financial:adj.金融的;财政的,财务的; crisis:n.危机;危险期;决定性时刻;adj.危机的;用于处理危机的;
But -- and I hope you are expecting a but by now -- but that wasn't true for everyone. 但是,我希望各位正期待有所转圜 并非每个人都这样
People who spent time caring for others showed absolutely no stress-related increase in dying. Zero. 那些花时间关心他人的 他们的致命风险完全不受压力影响
absolutely:adv.绝对地;完全地;
Caring created resilience. 关爱造就韧性
And so we see once again that the harmful effects of stress on your health are not inevitable . 我们再次见证 压力对健康的危害 并非无法避免
inevitable:adj.必然的,不可避免的;
How you think and how you act can transform your experience of stress. 人的想法和行动 可以转化压力的经验
transform:v.使改变;使改观;使转换;n.[数]变换式;[化]反式;
When you choose to view your stress response as helpful, you create the biology of courage. 当人选择将压力反应 当作助力 生理系统也跟着无所畏惧
biology:n.(一个地区全部的)生物;生物学;
And when you choose to connect with others under stress, you can create resilience. 面对压力,选择人际互动 便能造就韧性
Now I wouldn't necessarily ask for more stressful experiences in my life, but this science has given me a whole new appreciation for stress. 我不一定会希望 生活中有更多压力经验 但这样的科学实证 让我对压力有全新的正面看法
necessarily:adv.必要地;必定地,必然地; appreciation:n.升值;欣赏;感谢;增值;
Stress gives us access to our hearts. 压力让我们跟自己的心沟通
The compassionate heart that finds joy and meaning in connecting with others, and yes, your pounding physical heart, working so hard to give you strength and energy, and when you choose to view stress in this way, you're not just getting better at stress, you're actually making a pretty profound statement . 同情心在人际交流中 得到快乐和意义 是的,加速的心跳 为的是努力产生力量和能量 当你如此看待压力 你不只更善于处理压力 还实际作出深刻的宣示
profound:adj.深厚的;意义深远的;渊博的; statement:n.声明;陈述,叙述;报表,清单;
You're saying that you can trust yourself to handle life's challenges, and you're remembering that you don't have to face them alone. 等于在说:你相信自己 能应付生命中的挑战 然后你想起 自己并非单独面对这一切
handle:n.[建]把手;柄;手感;口实;v.处理;操作;运用;买卖;触摸;
Thank you. 谢谢!
(Applause) (掌声)
Chris Anderson: This is kind of amazing, what you're telling us. 克里斯 安德森: 你说的这一切颇为神奇
It seems amazing to me that a belief about stress can make so much difference to someone's life expectancy . 我对压力能大幅影响预期寿命这个观念, 感到十分惊讶
life expectancy:预期寿命;
How would that extend to advice, like, if someone is making a lifestyle choice between, say, a stressful job and a non-stressful job, does it matter which way they go? 但如何将之应用到咨询中呢 像是,有人要对他的生活方式作选择, 例如,在备受压力的工作和舒适安逸的工作之间选择 选哪个重要吗?
extend:vt.延伸; vi.延伸;
It's equally wise to go for the stressful job so long as you believe that you can handle it, in some sense? 就某方面而言,只要相信自己能胜任 选择压力大的工作,是否也不失为明智的选择?
so long as:adv.只要;
Kelly McGonigal: Yeah, and one thing we know for certain is that chasing meaning is better for your health than trying to avoid discomfort . 凯利 麦格尼格尔:是的,而且有一件事是确定的 也就是,相对于逃避不安 追求意义对健康比较好
for certain:肯定地;确凿地; discomfort:n.不适,不安;不便之处;vt.使…不舒服;使…不安;
And so I would say that's really the best way to make decisions, is go after what it is that creates meaning in your life and then trust yourself to handle the stress that follows. 因此我会说,最好的选择方式就是 选择那些你认为对人生有意义的事 然后相信自己能应付随之而来的压力
CA: Thank you so much, Kelly. It's pretty cool. KM: Thank you. 克里斯·安德森 :非常谢谢妳,凯利,这真是太棒了! 凯利:谢谢!
(Applause) (掌声)