返回首页

KartickSatyanarayan_2009I-_拯救“舞蹈”熊_

Hi. For those of you who who haven't seen dancing bears, these are the dancing bears. 你好,给你们当中没有见过舞蹈熊的人看看 这就是舞蹈熊
In 1995 we started working on a two-year investigative research project to try and find out what was going on. 在1995年我们发起了一个为期两年的调查研究课题 我们试着去调查事情的来龙去脉
investigative:adj.研究的;调查的;好调查的;
Because the sloth bears in the wild were obviously getting depleted because of this. 因为野生的sloth熊数量显著下降,近乎绝迹 正因为如此
sloth:n.怠惰,懒惰;[脊椎]树懒; depleted:v.大量减少;耗尽;使枯竭;(deplete的过去分词和过去式)
This is the Kalandar community . They are a marginalized Islamic community who live across India, and have been in India since the 13th century. 这就是卡拉海尔人,他们是一个不起眼的伊斯兰族分支 他们生活在印度的各地 从十三世纪开始,他们就已经生活在印度了
community:n.社区;[生态]群落;共同体;团体; marginalized:使边缘化;忽略;排斥(marginalize的过去式和过去分词); Islamic:adj.穆斯林的;
We went about getting evidence of what was going on. 我们开始寻找证据来弄清楚到底发生了什么
evidence:n.证据,证明;迹象;明显;v.证明;
And this is footage from a hidden camera in a button. 这是一段通过隐藏在纽扣里的摄像机拍摄到的画面
footage:n.英尺长度;连续镜头;以尺计算长度;
And we went in, pretending to be buyers . 我们进门,装作是买家
buyers:n.[贸易]买主;买方市场;采购者;购货者(buyer的复数);
And we found this right in this very state, in Karnataka. 我们正是在这个地方,卡纳塔克邦发现了这样的交易
And the bear cubs were being harvested from across the country and being sold and traded. 熊仔从全国各地搜罗而来 被买卖
cubs:n.(美)小熊; v.(野兽)生仔; adj.没经验的; (cub的复数)
These were being sold for about 2,000 dollars each, and they are used for bear paw soup, and also being trained, later on, to become dancing bears like the one you just saw. 这些熊仔卖价大约每只2000美元 他们将被用来做熊掌汤的 可能将来还会被训练 成为你刚刚看到的舞蹈熊
paw:v.抓;猥亵地乱摸;动手动脚;动手挑逗;n.(动物的)爪;(人的)手;
Sadly, the family of Kalanders depended on this bear. 令人心痛的是,卡拉海尔人的生计却还要指望这些熊
The couple are barely 18 years old. 这夫妇俩还不到18岁
barely:adv.仅仅,勉强;几乎不;公开地;贫乏地;
They already have four children beside them. You can see them. 你可以看见,他们身边却已经有了四个孩子,
And the economy of the family and their livelihood depended on those animals. 整个家庭的经济支柱,生活来源就是这些动物
economy:n.经济;节约;理财; livelihood:n.生计,生活;营生;
So, we had to deal with it in a very practical and sustainable manner. 所以,我们必须要以切合实际并且有可持续性的方法来对待这个问题
practical:adj.实际的;真实的;客观存在的;n.实习课;实践课; sustainable:adj.可以忍受的;足可支撑的;养得起的;可持续的;
Now, when we started working deeper and digging deeper, we found that it's an illegal act. 眼下,我们展开了更加深入的工作,更深度的调查 我们发现(以熊为生)是违法行为
illegal:adj.不合法的;非法的;n.非法移民;非法劳工;
These guys could go to jail for up to seven years if they were caught by authorities . 他们可能会为此付出最高七年的牢狱之灾 如果被相关部门抓住的话
jail:n.监狱;监牢;拘留所;v.监禁;下狱; authorities:n.权力;威权;职权;批准;(authority的复数)
And what they were doing to the bears was really appalling . 他们对熊所做的种种行为实在是骇人听闻
appalling:adj.可怕的;令人震惊的;v.使惊愕;惊吓;(appal的现在分词)
It was unacceptable . 令人无法接受
unacceptable:adj.不能接受(或允许、同意)的;
The mother bears are usually killed. 通常熊妈妈会被杀死
The cubs, which are taken, are separated. 熊仔们被盗走,各自分离
Their teeth are basically bashed out with a metal rod . 他们的牙齿会被用铁棍敲掉
basically:adv.主要地,基本上; bashed:v.猛击;猛撞;严厉批评;(bash的过去分词和过去式) rod:n.杆;竿;棒;(责打人用的)棍棒;手枪;
And they use a red hot iron needle to make a hole through the muzzle . 然后,他们的鼻孔会被烧红的铁杵穿洞
needle:n.针;针头;指针;缝针;v.穿过;刺激;拿针缝;拿针穿; muzzle:n.枪口,炮口;口套,口络;动物的鼻口;vt.使…缄默;给…戴口套;封锁…的言论;
Now we had to start changing these people and converting them from using that for a livelihood, to getting something else. 现在,我们要开始改变那些人,让他们停止以做那些事 来谋生,去做其他的事情
converting:v.(使)转变,转换,转化;可转变为;归附;(convert的现在分词)
So, this is Bitu Kalandar, who was our first experiment. 这是Bitu Kalander,他是我们的第一个“实验品”
And we were so unsure that this would work. 到底这能不能行?我们实在没有把握
unsure:adj.不确定的;不肯定的;没有自信的;
We weren't sure at all. And we managed to convince him. 当时我们的确没有把握,但我们还是说服了他
convince:v.使确信;使相信;说服,劝说;
And we said, "Okay, here is some seed fund . 我们说:“好,这是一些启动资金
fund:n.基金;资金;存款;v.投资;资助;
Let's see if you can get something else." And we got the bear surrendered to -- we set up a sanctuary . We have four sanctuaries in India. 看看你能不能做些什么”接着他把熊交给了我们 我们建立了保护基地,在全印度我们有四所保护基地
surrendered:v.投降;(被迫)放弃,交出(surrender的过去分词和过去式) sanctuary:n.避难所;至圣所;耶路撒冷的神殿; sanctuaries:n.圣殿(sanctuary的复数);
And now he sells cool drinks, he's by the highway. 他现在高速公路边卖冷饮
He has a telephone booth . 他经营一个电话亭
telephone booth:un.公用电话间;
And then it started, there was no turning back after that. 当这一切发生时,再也没有回头路了
This is Sadua who came and surrendered his bear. 这是Sadua,他来找我们,把他的熊交给了我们
And now he runs a cattle fodder store and a grain store near Agra. 而现在他经营着一个牛饲料店和谷物店 在印度北部阿格拉城附近
fodder:n.饲料;素材;vt.喂; grain:n.粮食; v.把…作成细粒;
Then there was no looking back at all for us. 对我们所有人来说,这正是义无反顾的了
We gave cycle rickshaws . 我们提供人力三轮车
rickshaws:n.黄包车(rickshaw的复数形式);
We set up carpet-weaving units, vocational training for the women. 我们建起了地毯编制单位 为妇女提供职业训练
vocational:adj.职业的,行业的;
The women were just not allowed to come out of the community and work with mainstream society. So, we were able to address that. 这些妇女们以前是不允许离开住宅区工作的 我们也在设法解决这个情况
mainstream:n.主流;
Education. The kids never went to school. 教育。这些孩子从没有机会上学
They only had Islamic education, very little of it. 只有少的可怜的伊斯兰教育
And they were never allowed to go to school because the were an extra earning hand at home. So we managed to get education. 他们的上学的权利被剥夺了 因为他们也要赚钱养家。正因如此,我们想办法提供教育
extra:adj.额外的:n.额外的事物:adv.额外:另外:
So, we sponsor 600 children education programs today. 如今,我们为600个孩子提供教育资助
sponsor:n.赞助商; v.主办;
We were able to ensure brighter futures for these people 我们为他们光明的未来创造了条件
ensure:vt.保证,确保;使安全;
Of course we also had to get the bears in. 当然,我们还是要拯救这些熊
This is what happens to the bears when they come in. 这是当时熊刚来时的状况
And this is what we turn them into. 只是经过转变后的现在
We have a veterinary facility in our rescue centers. 在拯救中心我们有专门的兽医机构
veterinary:adj.兽医的;n.兽医(等于veterinarian); facility:n.设施;设备;特别装置;特色;场所;天资; rescue:n.救援;抢救;营救;获救;v.抢救;营救;援救;
So, basically in 2002 there were 1,200 dancing bears. 大概的情况是:2002年 有一万两千只“舞蹈熊”
We rescued over 550 dancing bears. 其中我们拯救了超过五百五十只
rescued:v.营救;援救;抢救;(rescue的过去分词和过去式)
We've been able to ensure better futures for the people and the bears. 我们为这些熊和以它们为生的人们提供了更好的将来
The big news that I want to announce today is that next month we will be bringing in the very last bear of India, into our rescue center. 今天,我们有一个重大的消息要宣布 那就是,下个月 印度最后一只舞蹈熊 也将要被我们的拯救中心收容
(Applause) (掌声)
And India will no longer have to witness this cruel barbaric practice which has been here for centuries. 整个印度再也不用目睹这种持续了上百年的残忍而野蛮的行为了 整个印度再也不用目睹这种持续了上百年的残忍而野蛮的行为了
witness:n.证人;目击者;证据;v.目击;证明;为…作证; barbaric:adj.野蛮的,粗野的;原始的;
And the people can hold their heads up high. 为此人们可以感到骄傲
And the Kalander people will rise above all this cruel barbaric past that they've lived all their lives. 卡拉海尔人可以从他们一代代经历的残忍而野蛮的历史中走出来 卡拉海尔人可以从他们一代代经历的残忍而野蛮的历史中走出来
And the beautiful bears can of course live in the wild again. 理所当然的,而那些美丽的熊可以重新在野外生活了
And there will be no more removing of these bears. 这些熊再也不会被捕捉被带走
And the children, both humans and bear cubs can live peacefully . Thank you. 这样我们的孩子们和小熊仔们 都可以过上安静平和的生活了。
peacefully:adv.平静地;和平地;
(Applause) (掌声)