返回首页

KarenBass_2012-_前所未见,野性自然_

I'm a very lucky person. 我是个幸运儿
I've been privileged to see so much of our beautiful Earth and the people and creatures that live on it. 我有幸能见识这个地球的很多美景 还有生活其中的人与生物
privileged:adj.有特权的; v.给予特权; (privilege的过去式和过去分词) creatures:n.生物;动物;(具有某种特征的)人(creature的复数)
And my passion was inspired at the age of seven, when my parents first took me to Morocco, at the edge of the Sahara Desert. 我的这份热情是从7岁时开始的 当父母第一次带我去摩洛哥 去到沙哈拉沙漠边缘
passion:n.激情;热情;酷爱;盛怒; inspired:adj.受到启发的; v.鼓舞; (inspire的过去分词和过去式)
Now imagine a little Brit somewhere that wasn't cold and damp like home. 现在请你们想象一下 一个英国小孩来到一处与家乡的阴冷潮湿截然不同的地方
Brit:n.小鲱鱼;海中微生物; damp:n.潮湿;湿气;湿块;adj.潮湿的;湿气重的;v.弄潮;使潮湿;抑制;
What an amazing experience. 这是多么奇妙的际遇
And it made me want to explore more. 这愈加激发我的探索欲
explore:v.探索:探测:探险:
So as a filmmaker , 所以作为一个电影制作人
filmmaker:n.电影制作人;电影摄制者;
I've been from one end of the Earth to the other trying to get the perfect shot and to capture animal behavior never seen before. 我跑遍世界的各个角落 寻觅最美的景色 捕捉动物们那些不为人知的一举一动
capture:v.俘虏;捕获;攻占;夺得;刻画,描述;n.(被)捕获;(被)俘获
And what's more, I'm really lucky, because I get to share that with millions of people worldwide . 我真的是非常幸运 因为我还能和世界各地数以百万计的人们分享这一切
worldwide:adj.全世界的;adv.在世界各地;
Now the idea of having new perspectives of our planet and actually being able to get that message out gets me out of bed every day with a spring in my step. 如今一想到能用新的视野去探索地球 并能将这些信息确切地传递出去 我就每天都充满正能量
perspectives:n.[数]透视,远景,看法;构面;观点展示(perspective的复数形式);
You might think that it's quite hard to find new stories and new subjects, but new technology is changing the way we can film. 你可能会觉得 挖掘新的故事和主题已变得艰难 但新科技正在改变我们拍摄的方式
technology:n.技术;工艺;术语;
It's enabling us to get fresh, new images and tell brand new stories. 它帮助我们获取新的影像 诉说新的故事
enabling:adj.授权的;v.使能够;授权给(enable的现在分词); images:n.印象;声誉;形象;画像;雕像;(image的第三人称单数和复数) brand new:adj.崭新的;最近获得的;
In Nature's Great Events, a series for the BBC that I did with David Attenborough, we wanted to do just that. 在《自然大事件》中 这是我和David Attenborough为BBC制作的一个系列纪录片 我们就采用了这种创新
series:n.系列,连续;[电]串联;级数;丛书;
Images of grizzly bears are pretty familiar . 灰熊的影像是我们相当熟悉的
grizzly:adj.灰色的;n.灰熊; familiar:adj.熟悉的;常见的;亲近的;n.常客;密友;
You see them all the time, you think. 你会觉得随时都能看到
But there's a whole side to their lives that we hardly ever see and had never been filmed. 但是它们的生活依然有鲜为人知的一面 而且从未被拍到过
hardly ever:几乎不;几乎从来不;
So what we did, we went to Alaska, which is where the grizzlies rely on really high, almost inaccessible , mountain slopes for their denning. 所以我们就直奔阿拉斯加, 灰熊在那里 在又高又陡的山坡上 建造熊窝
grizzlies:n.灰熊(grizzly的复数); rely:vi.依靠;信赖; inaccessible:adj.难达到的;难接近的;难见到的; slopes:n.倾斜,斜坡;[数]斜率;山坡翱(slope的复数形式);
And the only way to film that is a shoot from the air. 对此唯一的拍摄方式就是航拍
(Video) David Attenborough: Throughout Alaska and British Columbia, thousands of bear families are emerging from their winter sleep. (视频)David Attenborough解说:整个阿拉斯加和不列颠哥伦比亚大地上 成千上万的灰熊从冬眠中苏醒过来
Throughout:adv.自始至终,到处;全部;prep.贯穿,遍及; emerging:adj.新兴的;v.出现,浮现,露出;暴露;(emerge的现在分词)
There is nothing to eat up here, but the conditions were ideal for hibernation . 山顶上没有食物 但冬眠条件却十分理想
hibernation:n.冬眠;过冬;避寒;
Lots of snow in which to dig a den. 有足够多的雪来挖洞
To find food, mothers must lead their cubs down to the coast, where the snow will already be melting . 为了寻找食物,母亲必须带着她们的幼崽去海岸边 那里的冰雪已经开始融化
cubs:n.(美)小熊; v.(野兽)生仔; adj.没经验的; (cub的复数) melting:adj.感人的;v.(使)熔化,融化;(melt的现在分词)
But getting down can be a challenge for small cubs. 但对幼熊来说,下坡可不是一件易事
These mountains are dangerous places, but ultimately the fate of these bear families, and indeed that of all bears around the North Pacific, depends on the salmon . 这些山脉地势险恶 但这些灰熊最终的命运 也是北太平洋所有的熊的命运 都与海里的鲑鱼息息相关
ultimately:adv.最终;最后;归根结底;终究; salmon:n.鲑鱼;大马哈鱼;鲑肉色;鲑鱼肉;橙红色,粉橙色;adj.浅澄色的;
KB: I love that shot. KB:我很喜欢这个镜头
I always get goosebumps every time I see it. 每次看都会起鸡皮疙瘩
goosebumps:n.鸡皮疙瘩;
That was filmed from a helicopter using a gyro-stabilized camera. 这是用直升机拍的 并使用陀螺稳定座架摄像机
And it's a wonderful bit of gear , because it's like having a flying tripod , crane and dolly all rolled into one. 这个设备真的很棒 你就像拥有了一个会飞行的三脚架,吊车和移动摄影机的集合体
gear:n.齿轮; v.适合; tripod:n.[摄]三脚架;三脚桌; crane:n.吊车,起重机;鹤;vi.伸着脖子看;迟疑,踌躇;vt.用起重机起吊;伸长脖子; dolly:n.洋娃娃;手推车;移动式摄影车;洗衣搅棒;v.用移动车移动;移动摄影车;
But technology alone isn't enough. 不过单单靠技术是不够的
To really get the money shots, it's down to being in the right place at the right time . 要获得真正有价值的画面 就得在合适的地点,抓住恰当的时机
at the right time:在适当时候;
And that sequence was especially difficult. 天时地利是相当难掌握的
sequence:n.顺序; v.按顺序排列; especially:adv.尤其;特别;格外;十分;
The first year we got nothing. 头一年我们什么都没拍到
We had to go back the following year, all the way back to the remote parts of Alaska. 只好第二年重来 再次来到阿拉斯加荒无人烟的地方
remote:adj.偏远的;偏僻的;遥远的;久远的;
And we hung around with a helicopter for two whole weeks. 在直升机上绕了整整两个星期
And eventually we got lucky. 最后我们终于得到幸运女神的眷顾
eventually:adv.最后,终于;
The cloud lifted, the wind was still, and even the bear showed up. 万里碧空,风和日丽 灰熊们也出动了
And we managed to get that magic moment. 我们终于如愿以偿捕捉到那个神奇的瞬间
For a filmmaker, new technology is an amazing tool, but the other thing that really, really excites me is when new species are discovered. 对于一个电影制作人来说 新科技是非常得力的帮手 但真正让我兴奋不已的 是发现新物种的那一刻
species:n.[生物]物种;种类;
Now, when I heard about one animal, 当我听说一种动物时
I knew we had to get it for my next series, 我知道我必须把它放进我下一档节目中,
Untamed Americas, for National Geographic . 《国家地理》的《野性美洲》
Untamed:adj.不能抑制的;难控驭的;未驯服的; Geographic:adj.地理的;地理学的;
In 2005, a new species of bat was discovered in the cloud forests of Ecuador . 2005年一种新的蝙蝠被发现 生活在厄瓜多尔的云雾林里
Ecuador:n.厄瓜多尔(位于拉丁美洲);
And what was amazing about that discovery is that it also solved the mystery of what pollinated a unique flower. 这个发现的神奇之处在于 它也同时解开了一个谜团 我们终于知道是谁为一种奇特的花进行授粉
pollinated:vt.对...授粉; unique:adj.独特的,稀罕的;[数]唯一的;n.独一无二的人或物;
It depends solely on the bat. 答案就是那种新发现的蝙蝠
solely:adv.单独地,唯一地;
Now, the series hasn't even aired yet, so you're the very first to see this. 这个系列片尚未播出 所以这是它宝贵的处女秀
See what you think. 看看你们有什么想法
(Video) Narrator : The tube-lipped nectar bat. (视频)解说:管嘴花蜜蝙蝠
Narrator:n.讲述者;(电视节目中的)幕后解说员;旁白员; nectar:n.[植]花蜜;甘露;神酒;任何美味的饮料;
A pool of delicious nectar lies at the bottom of each flower's long flute . 美味的花蜜 全在花的长茎底部
flute:n.长笛;细长香槟杯;v.吹笛子;给(衣服)加褶边,加荷叶边
But how to reach it? 但要怎么够得着呢?
Necessity is the mother of evolution . 需求乃进化之母
evolution:n.演变;进化;发展;渐进;
(Music) (音乐)
This two-and-a-half-inch bat has a three-and-a-half-inch tongue, the longest relative to body length of any mammal in the world. 这只6公分长的蝙蝠 却长着长达9公分的舌头 是世界上所有哺乳动物中 舌与身的长度比最大的了
relative:adj.相对的;有关系的;成比例的;n.亲戚;相关物;[语]关系词;亲缘植物; mammal:n.哺乳动物;
If human, he'd have a nine-foot tongue. 如果他是人类的话,那么舌头足有3米长了
(Applause) (掌声)
KB: What a tongue. KB:多给力的舌头
We filmed it by cutting a tiny little hole in the base of the flower and using a camera that could slow the action by 40 times. 我们在花的底部开个一个小孔来对它进行拍摄 用的是能40倍的慢速摄影机
So imagine how quick that thing is in real life. 所以可以想象出这家伙在现实中速度要多快
Now people often ask me, "Where's your favorite place on the planet?" 很多人都问我,“地球这么大,你最喜欢哪里?”
And the truth is I just don't have one. 事实是我真的没有一个确切的答案
There are so many wonderful places. 世上美景数不胜数
But some locations draw you back time and time again . 但确实有些地方令你流连忘返
locations:n.地方;地点;位置;定位(location的复数) time and time again:一次次;一次又一次;多次;不断地;
And one remote location -- 有这么一个偏远的地方——
I first went there as a backpacker; 我第一次去是作为背包客
I've been back several times for filming, most recently for Untamed Americas -- it's the Altiplano in the high Andes of South America , and it's the most otherworldly place I know. 后来因为摄影,我又回去了好几次 最近一次是因为《野性美洲》—— 它在南美的安第斯山的一个高原, 这是我所知的最超脱尘俗的地方了
recently:adv.最近;新近; Altiplano:n.高原; Andes:n.安第斯山脉; South America:n.南美洲; otherworldly:adj.来世的;超脱尘俗的;
But at 15,000 feet, it's tough. 但它在4500米的高处,非常辛苦
It's freezing cold, and that thin air really gets you. 寒冷刺骨 空气稀薄
Sometimes it's hard to breathe, especially carrying all the heavy filming equipment. 高原反应有时会让你呼吸困难 尤其是在搬运沉重的摄影器材时
And that pounding head just feels like a constant hangover . 严重的头痛就像持续不断的宿醉
hangover:n.宿醉;残留物;遗物;
But the advantage of that wonderful thin atmosphere is that it enables you to see the stars in the heavens with amazing clarity . 但稀薄空气的好处 就是能让你看到九天之外的繁星 且一览无遗
advantage:n.有利条件:优势:优点: atmosphere:n.大气;气氛;气压;风格; enables:v.使得; (enable的第三人称单数) clarity:n.清楚,明晰;透明;
Have a look. 我们欣赏一下
(Video) Narrator: Some 1,500 miles south of the tropics , between Chile and Bolivia, the Andes completely change. (视频)解说:距离热带地区240万公里远 在智力和玻利维亚之间 这一段安第斯山脉陡然变化
tropics:n.热带地区;
It's called the Altiplano, or "high plains" -- a place of extremes and extreme contrasts . 它被成为高原—— 一个充满极限 和极端对比的地方。
extremes:n.极端不同的感情;极端;极度;极限;(extreme的复数) contrasts:n.[经]反差,对比(contrast的复数); v.使…对比;
Where deserts freeze and waters boil. 在这里,沙漠成冰 湖水沸腾
More like Mars than Earth, it seems just as hostile to life. 看上去更像火星而不是地球 生命在这里似乎绝迹
Mars:n.火星 hostile:adj.敌意的; n.敌对分子;
The stars themselves -- at 12,000 feet, the dry, thin air makes for perfect stargazing . 而满天繁星 在海拔3600多米,干燥稀薄的空气中 成全了完美的天文观测
stargazing:n.耽于幻想;心不在焉;v.眺望星星;空想(stargaze的现在分词);
Some of the world's astronomers have telescopes nearby . 附近有很多天文望远镜
astronomers:天文学家; telescopes:n.望远镜; v.套叠; (telescope的第三人称单数) nearby:adj.附近的,邻近的;adv.在附近;prep.在…附近;
But just looking up with the naked eye, you really don't need one. 但仅仅就用肉眼去看就已足够 你根本不需要任何设备
naked:adj.裸体的;无装饰的;无证据的;直率的;
(Music) (音乐)
(Applause) (掌声)
KB: Thank you so much for letting me share some images of our magnificent , wonderful Earth. KB:非常感谢大家 能让我分享这些影像 让我们一起领略雄奇壮观的地球
magnificent:adj.高尚的;壮丽的;华丽的;宏伟的;
Thank you for letting me share that with you. 感谢你们,让我有机会分享这一切
(Applause) (掌声)